PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League: Your Team's Projections For 2010

carney2
June 7th, 2010, 11:04 AM
The waiting is killing me so I'm asking for the Patriot League faithful (you know who you are) to kick in a little summary of their team and its prospects for 2010.

LAFAYETTE

Lots of holes, particularly on offense. The Pards need to find a QB, a running game and a serviceable OL. On the other hand, they appear to be solid again on defense and, led by acrobatic senior Mark Layton, probably have the best corps of receivers in the Patriot League.

The key to the season is the search for a QB. Rob Curley, who put together possibly/probably the best single season under center in the 128 years of Lafayette football is gone. Paul Reinhard, the Lafayette beat writer from the Allentown Morning Call described Curley's 2009 performance as perhaps "...the best example of year-to-year improvement I witnessed in my 43+ years in the newspaper business." Be that as it may, the 2010 QB is likely to be a little more in the "mere mortal" class. There are 3 in the competition:

Coming out of spring practice it would appear that "high potential" sophomore Andrew Shoop has botched a golden opportunity and played himself into a clipboard role.

The leader at the moment may be junior Ryan O'Neil, the brother of Dominic Randolph's predecessor at Holy Cross. O'Neil has zero varsity experience.

Also in the mix is injury prone senior Marc Quilling who had some controversial up and down, but largely ineffective, starts as a sophomore in 2008. Quilling missed all of 2009 with a non-football related back injury and then missed most of spring practice with another injury. He does, however, seem to have the confidence of the head coach, and that will count for something when the final decision is made.

Last year's top 3 RBs are also gone. The only remaining RB with experience is undersized but promising Jerome Rudolph. He will be supported by sophomore Vaughn Hebron, and there is hope that incoming freshman Patrick Mputu will provide some spark.

There is very little experience returning in the OL. Junior Anthony Buffolino has been moved to the all important left tackle spot and the Pards will fill in around him with largely untested bodies. Help is on the way in the form of a very strong incoming freshman class, but the new recruits probably won't be much help this year.

On defense the line needs to be remade after sensational tackles Andrew Poulsen and Ian Dell graduated, but senior Michael Philips leads a group that should be able to hold its own. Senior Michael Schmidlein continues the tradition of strong linebacking, and an experienced secondary should be even better than last year.

No matter who goes under center against Georgetown on September 11th there will be a learning curve to be climbed and a lot of on the job training to be endured. A difficult OOC schedule could put the Leopards in a bit of a hole before the meat of the Patriot League campaign begins. Most expect them to be ready for a big push in October and November however.

RichH2
June 7th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Lehigh returning 17 starters s/b improved. Solid depth at all positions.

Huge issue can the new OC fix an O that has lost its identity. Clark in the right scheme can be very good. So far he has swung from excellent to terrible and back. Under Coen an unbelievable streak of close losses that boggles the mind. Insipid and disorganized direction by prior OC a major cause. Ceech has been an excellent OC everywhere. If he can produce a consistent O LU will challenge for PL title. OOC schedule could derail team or improve. We shall see

Bogus Megapardus
June 7th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Oh, Carney . . . it looks like yet another 2-9 season, doesn't it. I think I'll show up anyhow.

breezy
June 7th, 2010, 06:24 PM
HOLY CROSS:

Lots of people are figuring that the departure of Dom Randolph means that the Crusaders will fall back into the pack in the Patriot League. Lots of people will be wrong.

On offense, in addition to Randolph, HC loses four starters on the offensive line, including the highly regarded Chris Smith, Chris Poole and Aaron Jones. All running backs return, however, as does most of the receiving corps, which is talented and deep. Alex Schneider is back and will put up a strong argument that he is the best TE in the league.

On the line, HC has veteran backups ready to step up. Overall, the line will be a little smaller (losing Aaron Jones' 360 pounds will diminish the average) but may also be quicker.

Who will be Randolph's successor at QB? One magazine has incoming frosh QB Max Librizzi as PL ROY, but it is hard to see a freshman step into major playing time, especially with several talented QBs who have been biding their time. Listed as the spring starter is junior Kevin Watson who has battled injuries during his two seasons at the Cross. Ryan Taggart, a senior from Dallas, is the other prime contender. Barring injury, Watson or Taggart should emerge as the starter. Neither is Dom Randolph, but each is very capable by PL standards. Junior Mark Tolzien, whose brother is the starting QB at Wisconsin, is also in the battle, as is soph Grant Enders.

On the defense, HC seems to be gaining by subtraction. Two solid defensive linemen have graduated, as have three starting linebackers and two DBs. However, the defense will continue the gradual improvement this unit has shown over the past several years, and will be better in 2010. Mude Ohimor returns as a DL starter, and the defensive line will be bigger but just as mobile. At linebacker, Sean Lamkin returns after missing most of the 2009 campaign due to injury, and Jimmy Thomas returns at outside linebacker. C.J. Martin showed lots of promise as a reserve last year. At the other linebacker position, look for a battle between last year's backup (McLaughlin) and rising sophomore (Herman).

In the defensive backfield, Alex Johnson returns for his fourth year as a starter at free safety, and Anthony DiMichele returns at strong safety. Junior Chandler Fenner will handle one cornerback spot, with junior Cav Koch and sophomore Tom Mannix battling for the other spot. Look for freshman Irvin Scott to be a contender as the nickel back on passing downs.

Both HC kickers return as well.

I fully expect that HC will be in the thick of the battle for the league championship with two or three other teams.

carney2
June 7th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Oh, Carney . . . it looks like yet another 2-9 season, doesn't it. I think I'll show up anyhow.

Bogie, Bogie. Mehinks you have made a pact with the devil - or Pard94.

But wait, I repeat myself.

Bogus Megapardus
June 7th, 2010, 07:18 PM

Bogie say . . . RELAX.

ngineer
June 7th, 2010, 10:45 PM
If Clark can make the type of improvement Curley made last year from his junior year, he'll be the PL POY. Is that likely? No. However, I do think he will be muc improved in the new system with Cecchini, and should he falter, Lum looked in the spring game as being more than capable.

Depth abounds everywhere, except on the OL. While starters are back, I see the need to have some good backups and am not sure I saw that in April. There is some depth at RB, finally, as Campbell will get the lead nod, but oft injured Jaran Walker could give a great boost if healthy. Fitz and last year's super frosh Barkett will give needed depth.

The WRs are all back, and while not necessarily 'big play' people, are showing signs of consistency which has been missing the past few years. Nebraskan Drwal could be the 'the go to man' tough across the middle. Gordon could also bring a deep threat. Some of the underclassmen also have some size, but currently untested.

TEs are very good, and while "Wojo" returns, be on the lookout for rising soph.Jamel Haggins of Philadelphia. Tremendous frame to grow on, has the speed and tools to become another Bergen.

Defense should be very, very solid. Despite losing All-American Matt Cohen, the LB corps is very good lead by Leopard Killer Al Pierce. The DL could be reinforced by Phil Winnett who has missed the last two seasons with injuries and should have at least two more years of eligibility left. Rising soph Chagani was impressive in the spring game and should provide more depth for Dave Brown, Dokouslis and Knapp.

Cornerbacks Kennedy and Cribbs are back for their third straight year starting, and SS Veniero returns as well. I would look for Eldemire to be the FS. Some decent depth as well.

Special teams all return with solid punting from Alex Smith. PK will be competitive, though I would bet on soph Peery to get the job over senior Randazza just based on consistency. However, word is that an incoming freshman kicker may well add competition.

All things being equal, this team should be in the hunt to very end for the PL championship. A very tough OOC could cause a slow start that could impact team psyche...and more likely alumni psyche. However, I see this team doing no worse than 7-4 and 9-2 is very realistic. If the team comes out of September with a winning record, then the playoffs should be in the future.

Pard94
June 8th, 2010, 07:01 AM

Au contraire Carney...Bogie and I both live on the sunny side. If anyone is in league with the Prince of Darkness it's got to be you my friend. A bleaker individual I have not met. My God Carney, how did you make it through the Dark Years at Lafayette without flinging yourself off of Pardee Hall?

Come to the light Carney...it will be OK...move towards the light!

Pard94
June 8th, 2010, 07:02 AM
If Clark can make the type of improvement Curley made last year from his junior year, he'll be the PL POY. Is that likely? No. However, I do think he will be muc improved in the new system with Cecchini, and should he falter, Lum looked in the spring game as being more than capable.

Depth abounds everywhere, except on the OL. While starters are back, I see the need to have some good backups and am not sure I saw that in April. There is some depth at RB, finally, as Campbell will get the lead nod, but oft injured Jaran Walker could give a great boost if healthy. Fitz and last year's super frosh Barkett will give needed depth.

The WRs are all back, and while not necessarily 'big play' people, are showing signs of consistency which has been missing the past few years. Nebraskan Drwal could be the 'the go to man' tough across the middle. Gordon could also bring a deep threat. Some of the underclassmen also have some size, but currently untested.

TEs are very good, and while "Wojo" returns, be on the lookout for rising soph.Jamel Haggins of Philadelphia. Tremendous frame to grow on, has the speed and tools to become another Bergen.

Defense should be very, very solid. Despite losing All-American Matt Cohen, the LB corps is very good lead by Leopard Killer Al Pierce. The DL could be reinforced by Phil Winnett who has missed the last two seasons with injuries and should have at least two more years of eligibility left. Rising soph Chagani was impressive in the spring game and should provide more depth for Dave Brown, Dokouslis and Knapp.

Cornerbacks Kennedy and Cribbs are back for their third straight year starting, and SS Veniero returns as well. I would look for Eldemire to be the FS. Some decent depth as well.

Special teams all return with solid punting from Alex Smith. PK will be competitive, though I would bet on soph Peery to get the job over senior Randazza just based on consistency. However, word is that an incoming freshman kicker may well add competition.

All things being equal, this team should be in the hunt to very end for the PL championship. A very tough OOC could cause a slow start that could impact team psyche...and more likely alumni psyche. However, I see this team doing no worse than 7-4 and 9-2 is very realistic. If the team comes out of September with a winning record, then the playoffs should be in the future.

And there it is Ladies and Gentlemen...yet another 9-2 prediction for the Chicken Hawks. How may years in a row is that now?

Sader87
June 8th, 2010, 07:08 AM
To honor the A-Team/Mr T reboot, I predict "pain" for the rest of the pL.

RichH2
June 8th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Well 94, we shall see. Issue for us is whether an effective O can be created form last yrs parts by Cecchini. I think he can. 9-2 boy that would be great but not likely given our OOC. I really would hate to have another "woulda, shoulda, coulda" season.The last 3 yrs have been torture for all LU fans. We could not win close games. Can only fault coaching. Can Coen end that streak? Is Cecchini good enuf to instill confidence and consistency to O? Those Qs will determine how LU will do. Still think Gate is the team that s/b favored to win PL.

Pard94
June 8th, 2010, 09:58 AM
On Gate being the pre-season favorite we agree.

carney2
June 8th, 2010, 10:48 AM
And there it is Ladies and Gentlemen...yet another 9-2 prediction for the Chicken Hawks. How may years in a row is that now?

There are 2 seasons of football in Squawkville:

September - November = Kick the Coach Season

December - August = We Love We Season

Pard94
June 8th, 2010, 11:14 AM
There are 2 seasons of football in Squawkville:

September - November = Kick the Coach Season

December - August = We Love We Season

Let me save ngineer some trouble...next year they will go 9-2 and the year after that...I foresee a 9-2 season. 2013 might be tough but I think they'll probably squeak out a 9-2 season. 2014 they'll be lucky to go 9-2. Perhaps another name change is in order...They can be the Lehigh 92'ers. Kind of like the 49'ers and the 76'ers.

RichH2
June 8th, 2010, 11:14 AM
xnodx An apt and funny description of Lehigh fans since midway thru Pete's term at HC. That said, why shouldn't we feel that way. Players are good enuf , I think but for some reason we have not been able to win any close games and our OOC is ridiculously horrible. Any better for this year. Geez I hope so. Where the reason lies for our lackof success? Injuries, players not tough enuf, the whim of the Gods, the vagaries of chance, program cycles and on and on. Perhaps all of the above but the resposibility lies with Coen.We will be better this yr, but westill may come out of our OOC with a 2-3 record and beat up to start PL sched. Coen needs to have teamready to start season in Sep not mid October.

Oh well we'll se. At least I can take some comfort in beating LC again this year.xsmileyclapx

carney2
June 8th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Oh well we'll se. At least I can take some comfort in beating LC again this year.xsmileyclapx

In your dreams, featherhead.

RichH2
June 8th, 2010, 03:19 PM
My , my sensitive already, tsk, tsk. Actually I think LU has 6 games we should win. LC is at the bottom of that list. I'm not so confident on the other 5

TheValleyRaider
June 8th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Colgate

Offense

QB-Greg Sullivan is back for his senior year. Dual threat QB will hopefully continue to improve his passing, but will still kill teams with his legs. Steve Rizzo and Josh Hasenberg will compete for the backup role

RB-Nate Eachus returns, hopefully healthy for a full season of making things happen for the offense. Jordan McCord appears to have left the team, leaving Noah Jackson as the backup

FB-Gigi Cadet is back for his senior year, good blocking back. Also on the roster is Wisconsin transfer Sam Spitz, listed at a hefty 6-1, 245, who will also fight for playing time.

WR-All-Everything reciever Pat Simonds graduates. Doug Rosnick returns for his senior season, an unspectacular, but solid receiver. John Schademan transferred, I believe, leaving Dan Basil as the only other WR with game experience. Sophomores Chris Looney and Jonathan Mputu will also line up, but this is a thin group without much explosiveness

TE-Nick Cvetic returns as a Senior. Good blocker, will on rare occasions be called upon to catch a pass, but mostly serves his purpose of opening holes for Eachus and Sullivan

OL-Ryan Gross, Zach Posey and Rob Budny all graduate. C Kevin Morgan and RT Brian Merrifield return as Juniors. Also entering their junior year are LG Will Elmore and T Vittorio Ottanelli, who both saw game action last year. This is one area of usual Colgate strength, and I expect the line to be solid, though potentially preparing for a strong 2011 with 4 seniors.

Overall, the offense will likely be similar to season's past: heavy doses of run out of the shotgun with Sullivan and Eachus. The strong O-Line will make this an effective attack against PL foes, but I worry against stronger competition, both during the regular season and potential playoffs. My preference is toward a more balanced attack, so I might be feeling a bit too pessimistic about passing game that seems unlikely to frighten anyone

Defense

DL-Carlton Walker, Paul Mancuso and Austin Douglas all graduate. Lamont Sonds is the only returning starter. Frank Vittorini and Mike Riccione, who played in 2009, will join him. The 4th DL spot appears to be up for grabs between Tyler Danielson, Greg Kafaf and Matt Johnson

LB-Greg Hadley and Garrington Spence graduate. Zach Smith returns for his Senior season as the OLB. The two ILB spots are an open competition between returnees Chris DiMassa and Mike Carbone, and sophomores Austin Dier and Pat Friel. A playmaker in the LB corps has been one of our biggest weaknesses over the last couple of seasons, so it's unclear as of yet who will take that position

DB-Uzi Idah graduates. Coree Moses (Sr) and Demetri Diamond (So) return as Corners, Mike Berry (Sr) as a Safety, while Vinnie Nicosia looks to take the other Safety spot. Gary Marshall and Kenny McKenzie provide quality depth. This is easily the most experienced unit on the defensive side of the ball

The defense has been a weakness for the last couple of seasons. It's easy to pin 2008 on Szabo, but last year wasn't anything special either. Lots of turnover here, hopefully we can still rely on that old Biddle magic to get the right guys in the right places. Better tackling and especially better pressure up front will allow the veteran secondary to make more plays. Win the lines, win the games

Special Teams

K/P-Still 4 guys on the roster, Evan Colborne, Evan Goldszak, Trevor Lawler and Andy Heagle. None of them really siezed the job(s) last season, though injuries played some part. There's a quality kicker (or pair of kickers) in there, but we'll see who steps up. We also recruited another kicker, Andrew Burgess

Return game-No idea who will play the returner roles, but I'm not expecting much in the way of flash. Don't fumble the kicks and that'll be sufficient; anything more is gravy. Kickoff coverage needs to be improved

Interesting schedule. The opener against Monmouth suddenly takes on greater significance given the two that follow. After the NEC Hawks, Colgate travels to see SoCon stalwart Furman and FBS regional rival Syracuse. Much as Raider fans lament our first game struggles, this time the team will have to come out strong. We beat MU to open last year, and failing to do so again likely means an 0-3 start the season. I won’t say we can’t win either game, but the Raiders will be deservedly heavy underdogs in both contests. Not sure what to make of Princeton and Cornell, except that I expect to win both of them at this point. New coaches on Old Nassau and above Cayuga’s waters may yet mean turnarounds, but in Year 1? Color me skeptical in early June

Home PL schedule includes Georgetown, Lafayette and Holy Cross. It'll be nice to see the Leopards and Crusaders in Andy Kerr this season after last year's tough losses. Those two are our most-likely competitors for the Patriot League crown, Lehigh optimism notwithstanding

Road PL games are Lehigh, Bucknell and Fordham. That's 3 of our last 4, and of course Lehigh is between LC/HC. That should be the toughest road game, but that's because I don't know what to make of Fordham right now. We have a bye between Furman and Syracuse, so that doesn't do much for us besides 2 weeks of real hype for the Dome trip. Not having an injury bye after the Syracuse game could hurt, but I feel better with Georgetown being the next week. Basically, the 3 week stretch of Holy Cross-Lehigh-Lafayette will be the make-or-break point for 2010

The defensive deficiencies make it difficult for me to confidently declare Colgate the favorite, but as always I expect us to be in the mix. A win over Furman would make us at-large contenders, but otherwise our best hope would involve winning the League. A lot falls on the defense. If they can improve from last season, this is the best team in the Patriot League. If they continue to be inconsistent, we'll have a tough time getting to the 9 or 10 wins we'll need for a playoff birth

ngineer
June 8th, 2010, 09:55 PM

They allow remedial readers into Laughteryette? Nowhere did I "predict" a 9-2 season. I said such a record is very realistic, but that we should not be worse than 7-4. Other than Villanova and UNH, Lehigh should either be favored or in a 'toss up' game. With 17 starters returning, and some very good back ups, Coen must have a decent season. The OOC is very tough, but there isn't one game other than the above two where Lehigh should be "expected" to lose.

ngineer
June 8th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Valley Raider--where did McCord go?! He really filled in well when Eachus went down. Still the ol' 'gate ground game should be tough to stop.

Pard94
June 9th, 2010, 05:04 AM
They allow remedial readers into Laughteryette? Nowhere did I "predict" a 9-2 season. I said such a record is very realistic, but that we should not be worse than 7-4. Other than Villanova and UNH, Lehigh should either be favored or in a 'toss up' game. With 17 starters returning, and some very good back ups, Coen must have a decent season. The OOC is very tough, but there isn't one game other than the above two where Lehigh should be "expected" to lose.

Whatever...I'm just waiting for a season where "9-2" doesn't enter your analysis in any form. You made the same prediction when you had a rookie coach and QB. From now on you guys are the Lehigh 92'ers to me.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 9th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Whatever...I'm just waiting for a season where "9-2" doesn't enter your analysis in any form. You made the same prediction when you had a rookie coach and QB. From now on you guys are the Lehigh 92'ers to me.

Better than the Lafayette 0-2ers. xlolx

Pard94
June 9th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Better than the Lafayette 0-2ers. xlolx

Lafayette 76-64-5 xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxnodx

RichH2
June 9th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Still living in the past eh 94.xsmhx The Pl is now and mostly always has been a skill position conference. For most of us the talent levels are not that much different. A star rb or qb with solid role players and you are in the hunt. LU has been very lucky up til the last couple of yrs with recruiting good to great qbs that fit a system. Our season hinges on the new OC. LC needs to find a qb. Likewise HC and FU. Gate has the top skills kids on O should win even with a bad D. BU and GU need to raise their entire level of talent and depth

Fordham
June 9th, 2010, 04:35 PM
We'll likely finish anywhere between 5 - 6 and "a Lehigh Pre-season prediction" xsmiley_wix total, depending on whether or not we find a QB.
Expected wins: Bryant, Assumption, Georgetown, Bucknell

Expected losses: HC, Lehigh, Lafayette, Colgate

Toss ups (conservative view is we only grab 1 of these): URI, Columbia, Yale

FWIW, I have incredible respect for Gilmore and the job he has done there but there are so many losses listed there (including the one big one) that I'll really be stunned if they're in the mix.

I also think the HC seats at Lehigh, Georgetown and dear alma mater have to be feeling nice and toasty right now.

Pard94
June 10th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Still living in the past eh 94.xsmhx The Pl is now and mostly always has been a skill position conference. For most of us the talent levels are not that much different. A star rb or qb with solid role players and you are in the hunt. LU has been very lucky up til the last couple of yrs with recruiting good to great qbs that fit a system. Our season hinges on the new OC. LC needs to find a qb. Likewise HC and FU. Gate has the top skills kids on O should win even with a bad D. BU and GU need to raise their entire level of talent and depth

Hate to point out the obvious but 0-2 is just as much in the past as 76-64-5. But you're right let's keep our eye on the present. Lehigh has a shabby stadium. How's that?

RichH2
June 10th, 2010, 07:42 AM
xeyebrowx Shabby HUH? Now we know we are in the summer doldrums. Pretty soon we'll start the momma jokes.xnodx Nebraska to the BIG10 , the Wall Steet greed runs amok in FBS. Seems eerily similar to what the finance guys did to detroit then toWall St. $$$$ Forget about the underlying industry make $$$now. Fans, alumni the sport, ah who cares we'll make more $$$$ .At least Neb in the same geographic area as the 10. How about Texas et al to the Pac 10. Yeah, that makes sense.xoopsx

Pard94
June 10th, 2010, 09:26 AM
xeyebrowx Shabby HUH? Now we know we are in the summer doldrums. Pretty soon we'll start the momma jokes.xnodx Nebraska to the BIG10 , the Wall Steet greed runs amok in FBS. Seems eerily similar to what the finance guys did to detroit then toWall St. $$$$ Forget about the underlying industry make $$$now. Fans, alumni the sport, ah who cares we'll make more $$$$ .At least Neb in the same geographic area as the 10. How about Texas et al to the Pac 10. Yeah, that makes sense.xoopsx

Nahh...momma jokes don't start until around October. xlolx

PLLB
June 10th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Colgate the pre-season favorite?? I disagree, the team to beat is Lehigh.

DFW HOYA
June 10th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Georgetown

An important disclaimer--with 22 graduates but 34 newcomers, there is a net loss of 12 somehwere out there but Georgetown has not yet published a 2010 roster (nor one at spring practice). There exists the possibility that a starter or two won't be there in 2010, but for argument's sake let's assume they all are.

QB (?) - Fifteen different starters in nine years, three in 2009. The previous OC had a habit of switching QB's like relief pitchers, and while sophomore Isaiah Kempf is the heir presumptive to the position, well, so was James Brady the year before and he's in New Hampshire now. Kempf's numbers diminished throughout the season, he ended with 2 TD's and 9 INTs. Freshman Aaron Aiken may be the next one in the rotation, though some of us will still wonder how top 2007 recruit Tucker Stafford still hasn't got into the rotation.

RB (+): Charlie Houghton is expected back for a fifth year, but injuries have decimated a promising career. Houghton rushed for just 276 yards last season for a rushing offense that combined for 3 TD's and ranked near the bottom of I-AA. Former QB Keerome Lawrence will also be in the backfield.

WR/TE (-) Loses its leading receiver Robert Lane (another converted QB) but should return its next two WR's. The Hoyas don't have a TE in the current setup, which can be a problem.

OL (-) Geogetown loses four seniors across an already weak offensive line. Kevin Kelly favors agility over speed, which is why the line is small and only one returning player more than 265 was left in the last two-deep (11/09) ...of course, that also means the QB is constantly under the gun and the RB's cannot get any traction on the line of scrimmage.

DL (?) Returns three linemen but Georgetown's d-line remains the smallest in the conference. I don't expect any significant support from the DL underclassmen this season. Hoyas changing defenses again this year from a 5-2 to a 3-4, so the jury is out on how that will affect rush defense.

LB (?) Nick Parrish is an outstanding if somewhat overlooked PL linebacker. If the Hoyas are going from two LB's to four, I can't tell who will be added to the rotation.

Secondary (-): Loses three senior leaders. Two juniors and two sophomores will be left to pick up the pieces but this could be a liability agaisnt passing teams.

Special Teams (-): Graduated its punter, place kicker, punt returner, and long snapper.

Schedule: Opens with three games on the road and Holy Cross for Homecoming in week 4. If the Hoyas are not competitive at Davidson (Sep. 4) that will be a very bad sign for the rest of the season.

Georgetown is coming off its first winless season in 122 years of varsity football, a 1-23 record in the PL in four seasons, and an irritable fan base, not to mention a new athletic director along the sidelines. (At his press conference, the new AD was only asked two questions by the press, one of which was how he'd fix the football program.) Coach Kelly took a major downgrade in the schedule, dropping three full scholarship teams and passing on an offer to play North Dakota State for a decidedly lighter weight group of schools including Wagner, Davidson, and Sacred Heart--not what Georgetown fans expected they would be playing after 10 years in this league.

With potentially 60 underclassmen, three new coaches, and a continuing gap in recruiting, what defines a successful season anymore? If all Georgetown is left with is to beat a PL team (read=Bucknell) once every four years, the alumni and fan base will increasingly turn its back on the program.

Ken_Z
June 10th, 2010, 10:28 AM
With potentially 60 underclassmen, three new coaches, and a continuing gap in recruiting, what defines a successful season anymore? If all Georgetown is left with is to beat a PL team (read=Bucknell) once every four years, the alumni and fan base will increasingly turn its back on the program.

Bucknell is on the way up, Hoyas will have to improve to maintain that level of success.

carney2
June 10th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Lehigh has a shabby stadium. How's that?

I realize that you've just been shaken out of a long off-season snooze and are not in anything approaching week before Thanksgiving mud slinging form, but you can do better than this. Leaving the large and ancient Ivy venues out of the mix (Franklin Field, Yale Bowl, Harvard Stadium), but including the newer and less storied Ivy sites (only Princeton Stadium comes to mind), I would classify Chickenville's Badman Stadium as the second best football field that our Pards travel to on a regular basis. I haven't seen them all, but in my demented mind, only the aforementioned NJ Pussy Pit beats it. Badman, of course, is in need of some refurb, but aren't we all.

DFW HOYA
June 10th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I would classify Chickenville's Badman Stadium as the second best football field that our Pards travel to on a regular basis.

Yeah, but have you seen "Multiple-Sport Unnamed Field, Still Under Construction"?

carney2
June 10th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Yeah, but have you seen "Multiple-Sport Unnamed Field, Still Under Construction"?

I'm waiting for the ribbon cutting.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 10th, 2010, 10:46 AM

Cheer up. I think you'll be playing Kansas and possibly Missouri on a regular basis in the Big East now. xnodx xlolx

Pard94
June 10th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I realize that you've just been shaken out of a long off-season snooze and are not in anything approaching week before Thanksgiving mud slinging form, but you can do better than this. Leaving the large and ancient Ivy venues out of the mix (Franklin Field, Yale Bowl, Harvard Stadium), but including the newer and less storied Ivy sites (only Princeton Stadium comes to mind), I would classify Chickenville's Badman Stadium as the second best football field that our Pards travel to on a regular basis. I haven't seen them all, but in my demented mind, only the aforementioned NJ Pussy Pit beats it. Badman, of course, is in need of some refurb, but aren't we all.

Shabby compared to Fisher Field at Fisher Stadium. That's what I meant. It's always about us versus them Carney. You know that. But good to see you are in mid-season form when it comes to providing aid and comfort to the enemy. Nice work.xthumbsupx

Franks Tanks
June 10th, 2010, 10:52 AM

That sounds like a Strip club in Secaucus.

Sader87
June 10th, 2010, 11:08 AM

It's across town from the Bada Bing. xcoffeex

Pard94
June 10th, 2010, 02:11 PM

Reminds me of The Box Car just over the bridge in NJ. Ahhh...the good old days.

DFW HOYA
June 22nd, 2010, 01:59 PM
Returning back to the pre-season topic at hand...some topic discussions:

1. Your picks for the 2010 season
2. Is Lehigh's schedule a bad omen for Coen?
3. What are the expectations for Fordham (w/scholarships) in 2010?
4. Can HC maintain its position in the PL rankings, or slide back to the second tier?
5. Which PL team, if any, should be worried about losing to Georgetown this season?

LUHawker
June 22nd, 2010, 03:06 PM
Returning back to the pre-season topic at hand...some topic discussions:

1. Your picks for the 2010 season
2. Is Lehigh's schedule a bad omen for Coen?
3. What are the expectations for Fordham (w/scholarships) in 2010?
4. Can HC maintain its position in the PL rankings, or slide back to the second tier?
5. Which PL team, if any, should be worried about losing to Georgetown this season?

Answers to questions:

Finish
1. Colgate and Lehigh (Tie)
3. Lafayette
4. Holy Cross, Fordham (Tie)
6. Bucknell
7. Gtown

#2 - Lehigh's OOC is both good and bad omen. Bad because proabable losses to VU and UNH. Good for getting team competitive and gives him ability to point to really tough teams if the record is poor (again)

#3 Not high - FU still middle of pack
#4 Despite rankings in publications, HC is a full notch below without Randolph. He single-handedly won games for HC. In the PL, one standout player can lift the entire team.
#5 None