PDA

View Full Version : Sports Network - Top FCS WRs

TexasTerror
June 4th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Just released today...two Southland guys, can't fault him! ;)

http://sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/haley/index.htm

GlassOnion
June 4th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Yeah, but too bad App has two recievers with better yardage than both Southland recievers... Quick at 982, and Cline at 981 yrds. I fault him.

TexasTerror
June 4th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Yeah, but too bad App has two recievers with better yardage than both Southland recievers... Quick at 982, and Cline at 981 yrds. I fault him.

Better yardage? The NCAA Statistics (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2009&rpt=IAA_playerrec_yards&site=org&div=IAA&dest=O) differ.

The only thing they were better in according to the statistics was playing in more games, giving them more opportunities. Both Griggs and Yarborough had higher yards per game averages.

Griggs - 88.09 yards per game
Yarbourough - 80.30 yards per game
Quick - 70.14 yards per game
Cline - 70.07 yards per game

GlassOnion
June 4th, 2010, 05:40 PM
They are also the lone go to recievers on their Southland teams right? Quick and Cline share with each other, and Coco Hillary, who had 500+ yards in half a season before injury. App had 3600+ yards receiving last year, and Quick and Cline only accounted for half of them.

Coco Hillary should be on that list.

JohnStOnge
June 4th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Of the four on the list that I've seen play (Griggs, Quick, Szczur, Yarborough), I think Yarborough is the best receiver. If you asked who the most valuable player is I'd say Szcur; but that's as an all-purpose player. But if I'm pulling for a team and you're asking me who do I think my team is going to have the hardest time covering downfield and keeping from catching the ball I'm going to say Yarborough.

Very doubtful with any list like this, though, that it's correct in tabbing the best 10 receivers. Like, while I admit I haven't seen them, I am very skeptical about the idea that two of the top 10 recievers in FCS play for any one team (Fordham). It's possible, but very unlikely.

TexasTerror
June 4th, 2010, 06:03 PM
They are also the lone go to recievers on their Southland teams right? Quick and Cline share with each other, and Coco Hillary, who had 500+ yards in half a season before injury. App had 3600+ yards receiving last year, and Quick and Cline only accounted for half of them.

Griggs - 88.09 ypg - TXST 288.91 ypg - 30.5% of receiving yards
Yarbourough - 80.30 ypg - SLU - 282.91 ypg - 28.4% of receiving yards

Quick - 70.14 ypg - ASU 258.64 ypg - 27.1% of receiving yards
Cline - 70.07 ypg - ASU 258.64 ypg - 27.1% of receiving yards

I guess you can make your own opinion, but if you are the "lone go to receiver", wouldn't it be tougher to accumulate your yards, unless you were truly a playmaker?

For ASU, you had two guys with 27.1% of receiving yards. With more options, isn't it easier to gain that kind of yardage?

Up for debate...

GlassOnion
June 4th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Well its harder to gain recieving yardage in the SoCon, period. The southland has 4 teams in the top 100 for pass efficiency defense, the SoCon has 7, four of those being in the top 50.

McNeese75
June 4th, 2010, 08:27 PM

Ummm hummmm, Too bad Quick fumbles after the catch xwhistlex :D xpeacex

Quick is a physical specimen but I was more impressed with Cline's ability to get open and catch the ball last year.
Yarbourough is every bit as good as either of them.

BigHouseClosedEnd
June 4th, 2010, 08:40 PM
While Sczcur is probably the most valuable player in the country, I don't think he's one of the Top 10 WR's. He is much more effective out of the Wildcat than he is as a WR.

ncbears
June 4th, 2010, 09:50 PM
While Sczcur is probably the most valuable player in the country, I don't think he's one of the Top 10 WR's. He is much more effective out of the Wildcat than he is as a WR.

Is he going to play this year? I hear he might play baseball.

lionsrking2
June 4th, 2010, 11:42 PM

That's incorrect...Simmie Yarborough was indeed our top receiver last year with 57 catches for 803 yards and 12 TDs, but we had a total of five wide receivers catch 29 or more balls in 2009 - including one who had 41 catches for 482 yards and another who had 32 catches for 497. The other two had 30 catches for 373 and 29 for 398 yards respectively...and we only played 11 games where as App State played 14.

Furthermore, Simmie only played in 10 games (missed one full game with an ankle injury) and only played a handful of plays in two of those...he really only played about 8.5 full games...had he not rolled his ankle in the first half of the McNeese game, he likely goes over 1,000 yards receiving for the year.

Here are his season highlights through first 7 games...watch the catch at around the 1:35 mark!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhcjseCceD4

Play of the Week vs Sam Houston State
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ7fRw3wQyw&NR=1

PaladinFan
June 5th, 2010, 06:40 AM

I don't think Hillary is worthy of a mention. He's not even the best receiver on his own team and maybe is the fourth or fifth best pass catcher in the SoCon.

The absence of Adam Mimms is more suprising. When you set Furman's all time receptions mark as a junior, you are pretty daggum good. He does not make a lot of huge downfield plays, but the kid is virtually uncoverable across the middle.

GlassOnion
June 5th, 2010, 08:49 AM
That's incorrect...Simmie Yarborough was indeed our top receiver last year with 57 catches for 803 yards and 12 TDs, but we had a total of five wide receivers catch 29 or more balls in 2009 - including one who had 41 catches for 482 yards and another who had 32 catches for 497. The other two had 30 catches for 373 and 29 for 398 yards respectively...and we only played 11 games where as App State played 14.

Furthermore, Simmie only played in 10 games (missed one full game with an ankle injury) and only played a handful of plays in two of those...he really only played about 8.5 full games...had he not rolled his ankle in the first half of the McNeese game, he likely goes over 1,000 yards receiving for the year.

Here are his season highlights through first 7 games...watch the catch at around the 1:35 mark!!

You are correct, and that was a pretty darn impressive highlight. I believe Simmie deserves to be there.

GlassOnion
June 5th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I don't think Hillary is worthy of a mention. He's not even the best receiver on his own team and maybe is the fourth or fifth best pass catcher in the SoCon.

The absence of Adam Mimms is more suprising. When you set Furman's all time receptions mark as a junior, you are pretty daggum good. He does not make a lot of huge downfield plays, but the kid is virtually uncoverable across the middle.

If Brian Quick improves as much this summer as last summer or the summer before ( he did only play 1 yr in highschool,) then he will be the best reciever in the SoCon, although I believe Matt Cline has been more important for the team. But I definately have no problem with Quick over Mims.

2009 Socon total recieving
Rank Player Pos Cl Gm Catches Yds Tds RecGm YdsCatch YdsGm
1 Terrell Hudgins, Elon WR SR 12 123 1633 16 10.25 13.28 136.08
2 Brian Quick, Appalachian St. WR SO 14 61 982 4 4.36 16.10 70.14
3 Matt Cline, Appalachian St. WR JR 14 85 981 2 6.07 11.54 70.07
4 Adam Mims, Furman WR JR 11 74 878 4 6.73 11.86 79.82
5 Blue Cooper, Chattanooga WR SR 11 84 824 7 7.64 9.81 74.91
6 Andre Roberts, Citadel WR SR 11 77 792 8 7.00 10.29 72.00

And as for Coco not being worth a mention, he had 514 yards recieving and already 4 TDs (as many as mims in a season) in only 8 games, if he had played a full season, he'd of more than matched Mims numbers. And when would three 900+ yard recievers on a single team not be worth a mention?

Ronbo
June 5th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Keep an eye on the heir apparent to Marc Mariani for Montana.

Jabin Sambrano, Junior, timed at 4.39 electronically in workouts. Very good hands. He split time in 2009 at wideout with 2009 Senior Tyler Palmer. This year he is the #1 go-to guy in an offense that will be more pass oriented.

2009, 31 catches, 512 yards, 16.5 average, 5 TD's. If he had not split time with another receiver would he have doubled those numbers? Palmer had 37 catches for 465 yards and 4 TD's. Looks like he would have.

Final 4 minutes of the App. State game. Watch Selle, Sambrano, and Reynolds, all back this season, win it for Montana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZDVRNfP_s

smallcollegefbfan
June 5th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Here are some of my thoughts on the list. Haley probably should have done 10 WRs and 5 TEs separate. I think his names are pretty solid. Some notes I have on the list.

He listed these guys in no particular order I believe but as far as pure talent Poots, Yarborough, Quick, and Caldwell are the most talented on this list and they all have good numbers. Szczur is a great all-purpose guy and with the talent back at Nova I see no reason not to pick him a 1st team All-American because he will likely have big numbers. Poots is above and beyond the best FCS player of the group. While he doesn't have the best NFL stock he is a tough guy to guard because he runs good routes and he catches everything.

On the talk about App and Furman WRs I like Mims a lot but have him just outside my top 10. I also believe that Quick has the most potential but he is not the best FCS WR at this point as Cline is more of a go to guy and has been more consistent. He is just like Poots in that he is a pain in the butt type guy that will hurt you even though you would not think he could because he lacks size, speed, etc. that everyone looks for. He is just a tough, hard-working, etc. player. Hillary has no business on a top 10 IMO because he has drops and his off the field stuff needs to be considered as well. You don't want someone on your All-America list getting arrested. That is not good pub.

Players not on the list to keep an eye on:

Mitchell Bennett, Lafayette
Lito Senatus, WIU
Dominique Johnson, Cal Poly

Model Citizen
June 5th, 2010, 11:10 AM
The "head-to-head" sidebar is a nice touch, Mr. Haley.

GeauxLions94
June 5th, 2010, 11:57 AM

Had he not rolled his ankle in the McNeese game and missed the entire second half, we probably xpeacex win that one, he goes for over 1,000 and gets about 15 touchdowns. Not bad for a guy who was supposed to redshirt his freshman season in 2008.

PaladinFan
June 5th, 2010, 12:00 PM
If Brian Quick improves as much this summer as last summer or the summer before ( he did only play 1 yr in highschool,) then he will be the best reciever in the SoCon, although I believe Matt Cline has been more important for the team. But I definately have no problem with Quick over Mims.

And as for Coco not being worth a mention, he had 514 yards recieving and already 4 TDs (as many as mims in a season) in only 8 games, if he had played a full season, he'd of more than matched Mims numbers. And when would three 900+ yard recievers on a single team not be worth a mention?

Mims isn't going to catch a lot of touchdowns. He's got, I think, eight in his career. At 5'9 he's not your endzone leaper or big play guy. His specialty is getting over the middle and working his way back up field. He generally doesn't put it in the endzone unless he breaks off a big run after the catch.

I think the numbers for Mims, Quick, and Hillary are going to decline in 2010 due to quarterback changes. Both teams, I expect, aren't going to have the luxury of having a passer under center of the same calibre as their 2009 signal caller.

GlassOnion
June 5th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Expect App to be more pass happy if Jamal Jackson starts as most expect, as he's more of a Ritchie Williams. That also would probably be their safest option being loaded at WR this year. I see Deandre Pressley as smaller in frame than Armanti, so hopefully the coaches dont put that many licks a game on him.

I do expect Furman is going to be in the top three of the Socon this year, so good luck

Saint3333
June 5th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I expect ASU to run more, especially the first half of the year.

I believe the o-line will be stronger and deeper than the past two years and teams will see a steady diet of Devin Moore.

PaladinFan
June 5th, 2010, 03:25 PM

I believe the o-line will be stronger and deeper than the past two years and teams will see a steady diet of Devin Moore.

Right.

Point being I just don't see App recievers putting up the same gaudy numbers because A) the offense won't be as good (which I think is a fair assessment given that Edwards has graduated) and B) the offense will have to rely more heavily on Moore.

Same with Furman. Forcier brings a strong running attack to the backfield. If he's passing to Mims 10 times a game we are going to be in a world of hurt offensively.

bjtheflamesfan
June 5th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Remember this name because he could be right up there among the top 10 receivers by year's end: Chris Summers.

bigCasu
June 5th, 2010, 05:38 PM

On the talk about App and Furman WRs I like Mims a lot but have him just outside my top 10. I also believe that Quick has the most potential but he is not the best FCS WR at this point as Cline is more of a go to guy and has been more consistent. He is just like Poots in that he is a pain in the butt type guy that will hurt you even though you would not think he could because he lacks size, speed, etc. that everyone looks for. He is just a tough, hard-working, etc. player. Hillary has no business on a top 10 IMO because he has drops and his off the field stuff needs to be considered as well. You don't want someone on your All-America list getting arrested. That is not good pub.

So, anything that happens off the field, means that a player isnt good on the field. There have been many athletes, in many sports, that have been one of the best at their position, that have had off the field troubles. Off the field issues take away from character, but it should never impact what kind of player or athlete you are.

Unfortunately, lots of college students get into trouble with, the law, and some of them will be athletes, but that doesnt mean they can't play their position with some of the best. I'll take Hillary over Mimms any day. Even though Mimmns broke Furman records, they are a running school. Part of the reason for those records are they fact that Sorrells' daddy was the OC, calling plays. He thought his son could throw, so he wasnt going to call plays where his son was handing the ball off. Furman would do much better in the SoCon, if they stuck to the run.

GlassOnion
June 5th, 2010, 06:03 PM

I hope your faith in the O-line is warranted When I see the projected 2 deep, there is not a single 2nd string OL with significant playing time. Of the 5 freshmen coming in, I'm sure the coaches would like very much to RS at least 2.

Saint3333
June 5th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I expect three of the freshman to be on the two deep. These guys are a different caliber than ASU has previously been able to recruit (outside of Kerry Brown and a few others).

smallcollegefbfan
June 5th, 2010, 09:34 PM
So, anything that happens off the field, means that a player isnt good on the field. There have been many athletes, in many sports, that have been one of the best at their position, that have had off the field troubles. Off the field issues take away from character, but it should never impact what kind of player or athlete you are.

Unfortunately, lots of college students get into trouble with, the law, and some of them will be athletes, but that doesnt mean they can't play their position with some of the best. I'll take Hillary over Mimms any day. Even though Mimmns broke Furman records, they are a running school. Part of the reason for those records are they fact that Sorrells' daddy was the OC, calling plays. He thought his son could throw, so he wasnt going to call plays where his son was handing the ball off. Furman would do much better in the SoCon, if they stuck to the run.

I'm not saying just because you have one incident you should not be listed but Hillary has had some things that are not on his record previously. Have you heard the saying if you are good enough they will overlook your issues? Well, Hillary is not quite that good. He is talented but has not put big numbers other than impressive stats in the return game, at times. I just don't think Hillary is a top 10 or 15 WR in FCS. To be honest the best "football player" at WR for ASU is Matt Cline. Quick has the most upside and physical talent while Hillary has speed but Cline is just a good football player who will prove others wrong like players such as Wes Welker, Wayne Chrebet, etc. have done. I do believe that Quick will have the best year of the group though because of his steady improvement over the last few years.

You say off field issues should not take away from what kind of player you are? Well, Jerry Moore's job is to field the best team he can and he has clearly said no to very talented athletes that could have helped ASU. Instead he felt they were not worth the trouble and has turned many of them down.

smallcollegefbfan
June 5th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I hope your faith in the O-line is warranted When I see the projected 2 deep, there is not a single 2nd string OL with significant playing time. Of the 5 freshmen coming in, I'm sure the coaches would like very much to RS at least 2.

Word on the street is that the players haven't gelled with the new OL coach like you would hope. The starting 5 is solid but I was told that ASU will likely play 2 true freshmen on the line because they lack depth and because the players brought in are very good. It will be interesting to see what happens.

GlassOnion
June 5th, 2010, 09:53 PM
The new OL coach only spent 2 weeks on the field with his guys, and hasnt gotten to see his freshmen in action yet. July will be interesting, thats for sure.

SU DOG
June 6th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I want to put another name out here. Our best receiver was injured and missed some games last season, but barring injuries, Samford's(WR) Riley Hawkins WILL be among the SoCon leaders this season -you can count on it. He has good hands and blistering speed. Also, from what I saw in the Spring, Samford will be augmenting the running game with more passing.

tribefan40
June 7th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Cameron Dhose. If we have a quarterback.

PhoenixPhan06
June 7th, 2010, 08:43 AM

Just looking at these stats made me miss Terrell Hudgins even more!!

GlassOnion
June 7th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Just looking at these stats made me miss Terrell Hudgins even more!!

It doesnt seem like he did you much good.

Mikeyosef
June 7th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Ouch! GlassOnion, that's just brutal.

jimbo65
June 7th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Two Fordham receivers, Caldwell & Skelton (the QB's brother) selected. Texas State & Nova among the other schools recognized.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4316224

smallcollegefbfan
June 7th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Two Fordham receivers, Caldwell & Skelton (the QB's brother) selected. Texas State & Nova among the other schools recognized.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4316224

TT posted this a few days ago. It is here: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?t=69621

LeadBolt
June 7th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Cameron Dhose. If we have a quarterback.

Laycock seemed awfully non-commital in his remarks on spring training regarding the QB situation. Dhose has shown his potential to be a threat.

Does any one have any insight on QB for the Tribe in 2010? With the return of most of the OL and the running backs they have it would seem that the QB is well set up for success, but I'm not close to the situation.