PDA

View Full Version : It's Official - Gilbert and Yandell to GSU!

SaintDK10
June 4th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Joseph Gilbert and Clyde Yandell, the GA Tech offensive linemen that paved the way for the No. 2 rushing offense in the country last year will play for the Georgia State for the next two years.

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2010/06/04/gilbert-and-yandell-are-panthers/

Our offense is now stacked with a QB from Alabama, a TE from Auburn, two offensive guards from GA Tech, two JUCO offensive tackles that had offers from SEC schools, a wide receiver from UCF and a center from a Ball State team that won the MAC West Division title. 90 days and counting...

MplsBison
June 4th, 2010, 04:24 PM
So wait...how does this work?

They went to GSU because that's where they enrolled in the graduate program? How do they still have 2 seasons of eligibility left? They both got undergrad degrees from Tech in 3 seasons? Why wouldn't they just enroll at grad school at Tech?

Hammer22
June 4th, 2010, 06:33 PM
The tech boys redshirted their freshman yr. and had two yrs of actual playing time. They graduated in 3 yrs (played only two years) and now have 2 more yrs of playing time.

From my understanding, they particularly wanted to get into the MBA program. I hear Tech wouldn't budge on the mandatory 2 yrs of working experience (stupid on their part). But, I can't seriously see how they couldn't get into a grad program at the school. Gilbert started 26 of the last 27 games for G. Tech. But, their loss and OUR gain.

MplsBison
June 4th, 2010, 06:38 PM
The 2 years working experience is standard at most MBA programs that I've heard of. An MBA isn't supposed to just be a matter of more textbooks and lectures, it requires some level of experience in the working world.

But I still can't believe they were willing to drop from a BCS contending program to a brand new FCS team just because of that. Hard to believe, anyway.

Hammer22
June 4th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Believe it my man. Watch out for GSU.

Here's the school's official announcement about it.
http://www.georgiastatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=12700&atclid=204955236

smallcollegefbfan
June 5th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Joseph Gilbert and Clyde Yandell, the GA Tech offensive linemen that paved the way for the No. 2 rushing offense in the country last year will play for the Georgia State for the next two years.

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2010/06/04/gilbert-and-yandell-are-panthers/

Our offense is now stacked with a QB from Alabama, a TE from Auburn, two offensive guards from GA Tech, two JUCO offensive tackles that had offers from SEC schools, a wide receiver from UCF and a center from a Ball State team that won the MAC West Division title. 90 days and counting...

I really believe you guys and ODU are going to be playoff caliber teams in 3-4 years. I am excited to see you guys this year!

HenZoneNation
June 6th, 2010, 05:39 PM
At this pace though, be prepared to be called Transfer U. and then when you defend yourself be told it's "East Coast Bias." Glad to see you guys comming out guns blazing. xnodx

Dignan
June 7th, 2010, 02:34 AM
I've got a question I've been wondering about for a while. These schools that are in transition, like ODU and Ga State, when they're playing in their first years before officially reaching FCS status and join their conferences, do their players use up eligibility? If so, what sense does it have for players to transfer there if they've only got one or two years of eligibility left? They could use up all of their eligibility before their new teams ever even get to play a meaningful game.

panama
June 7th, 2010, 07:22 AM
We are not playoff eligible this year but we ARE playing as FCS Independents.

SpeedkingATL
June 7th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I think this also shows the value of having a guy like Curry running the program. Don't you know GaSouthern would have loved to have these guys in there new option offense....

eaglewraith
June 7th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I think this also shows the value of having a guy like Curry running the program. Don't you know GaSouthern would have loved to have these guys in there new option offense....

If Gillbert was the right guard I saw in a lot of games whiffing on blocks, holding, lots of false starts, and falling down at the feet of the defense expecting them to get blocked out by a guy laying on the ground flopping around like a fish then no thanks...Ga State can have his sorry ass. GLHF.

GT's OL has not been up to par with the OL's I've seen at GSU in the past. The OL play has actually been really soft and sloppy, which is kind of surprising since Sewak has been involved with the OL. They ever get that shored up and then you'll see some magic up in Bobby Dodd Stadium.

SaintDK10
June 7th, 2010, 01:12 PM
If Gillbert was the right guard I saw in a lot of games whiffing on blocks, holding, lots of false starts, and falling down at the feet of the defense expecting them to get blocked out by a guy laying on the ground flopping around like a fish then no thanks...Ga State can have his sorry ass. GLHF.

GT's OL has not been up to par with the OL's I've seen at GSU in the past. The OL play has actually been really soft and sloppy, which is kind of surprising since Sewak has been involved with the OL. They ever get that shored up and then you'll see some magic up in Bobby Dodd Stadium.
LMAO!!! Tech's OL paved the way for the 2nd best rushing offense in FBS last year, but they are not up to par with old Southern OLs?!!! Oh my, the denial-flavored Koolaid down in Statesboro is flowing abundantly these days, I see.

Funny, when an ACC starter transfers to GSU, he actually sucks according to Southern fans.

When an SEC QB transfers to GSU, he's a thug according to Southern fans -- which by the way is hilarious considering there are almost weekly reports of Southern players getting arrested for attempted robbery, possession of firearms, narcotics, and other great things Southern players are known for.

This is really hilarious. I just wish we had Southern on schedule next year so that they can "expose" our thug QB and crappy OL.

hippy@GSU
June 7th, 2010, 02:11 PM
LMAO!!! Tech's OL paved the way for the 2nd best rushing offense in FBS last year, but they are not up to par with old Southern OLs?!!! Oh my, the denial-flavored Koolaid down in Statesboro is flowing abundantly these days, I see.

Funny, when an ACC starter transfers to GSU, he actually sucks according to Southern fans.

When an SEC QB transfers to GSU, he's a thug according to Southern fans -- which by the way is hilarious considering there are almost weekly reports of Southern players getting arrested for attempted robbery, possession of firearms, narcotics, and other great things Southern players are known for.

This is really hilarious. I just wish we had Southern on schedule next year so that they can "expose" our thug QB and crappy OL.

I would think Wraith and other GSU fans have a pretty good grasp on what it takes to be a good TO O-Lineman. Now, he may have exaggerated a bit about the transfer's ability or lack thereof.

Fact is, the Ga Tech O-line hasn't been too spectacular the last couple of years. Their O-line has served its purpose well, but it hasn't done a spectacular job. Obvious examples are their breakdowns against Iowa and LSU. They have a lot of improving to do. I think it has more to do with the nature of the offense that allows them to have the 2nd best rushing attack.

What is GSU's record with "players getting arrested for attempted robbery, possession of firearms, narcotics, and other great things Southern players are known for?" Recently, a former recruit named Julian Suber was arrested for armed robbery and narcotics possession. At the time of the crime he had no connection to GSU because his scholly was pulled at least a month before the reported incident. So, where are the weekly reports? Post them for the world to see.

As an aside...
I think the addition of your team to college football in the state will be very interesting. I look forward to playing you guys soon.

panama
June 7th, 2010, 03:04 PM
You're on drugs.

Team Rushing Offense Rank 2008 #4
Team Rushing Offense Rank 2009 #2

That is all of FBS.

Served its purpose? Yeah, all the way to a #13 national FBS ranking.

I find your delusions "interesting". I look forward to Statesboro getting accidentally nuked soon.

cmaxwellgsu
June 7th, 2010, 06:24 PM

Heard the exact same thing all year last fall from a former Southern lineman with two NC rings. He loves GT since they've got his former coach. The line play was subpar. The rest of that scheme covered up for it. These guys probably were losing their spots to more talented recruits. Is anyone dumb enough to believe that two starters left the academic powerhouse for some fast food degree from Ga State?

eaglewraith
June 7th, 2010, 06:28 PM

You're on drugs.

Team Rushing Offense Rank 2008 #4
Team Rushing Offense Rank 2009 #2

That is all of FBS.

Served its purpose? Yeah, all the way to a #13 national FBS ranking.

I find your delusions "interesting". I look forward to Statesboro getting accidentally nuked soon.

In 2008 GT had a fantastic defense that bailed them out a lot. I guess you forgot about that abortion of a game as well against Gardner Webb that ended up being 10-7. There was only one game they played that year where the OL did what it was supposed to and that was against Miami. Go watch the film...the OL was firing off the line, taking the DL out of the play, and knocking the LB's senseless. The OL's job is to get downfield as well. I didn't see that in 2009. I saw a lot of soft guys falling down at the feet of defenders and "hoping" to get a block. I have a good friend at work who is a huge GT fan and he bitches more about the OL than I've even started to talk about. Notice Dwyer's numbers dropped a good bit this year as opposed to 2008 as well mainly because he was getting very little help up front. Luckily they played in the ACC where no one remembered how to play defense last year. Hell FSU didn't even have defensive playbooks last year...kinda explains some of their problem stopping the run.

And yes, GSU has had OL's that were way more impressive than GT's current one. That doesn't mean GT's won't get better, but right now I can probably name of at least 5 former GSU OL's that I would take over them.

Also, don't fool yourself. Find a copy of the Orange Bowl from this past year and watch the play of the right guard. It's disgusting. I was ashamed for GT for how pitiful that guy played. Go ahead....I'll wait.

SaintDK10
June 7th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Heard the exact same thing all year last fall from a former Southern lineman with two NC rings. He loves GT since they've got his former coach. The line play was subpar. The rest of that scheme covered up for it. These guys probably were losing their spots to more talented recruits. Is anyone dumb enough to believe that two starters left the academic powerhouse for some fast food degree from Ga State?
LOL!! Yeah, "fast food" degree from Robinson College of Business, the business school that produced more Fortune 500 CEOs than any other school in the country. I swear, Southern fans are just cute as a button, talking about academics...

As far as the whole "they were losing their starting jobs" spiel, hey listen, you tell yourself whatever you need to say to make yourself feel better about the fact that a start-up program landed two premier FBS linemen, the likes of which Southern has never seen. But I digress, you have a friend who was a lineman for Southern, LOL. If he thinks Yandell was so bad, ask him why all the Tech fans were crying in outrage once they heard he was graduating and continuing his education at GSU.

BTW, have any Southern players been arrested today? I haven't checked the local news yet.

SaintDK10
June 7th, 2010, 08:11 PM
In 2008 GT had a fantastic defense that bailed them out a lot. I guess you forgot about that abortion of a game as well against Gardner Webb that ended up being 10-7. There was only one game they played that year where the OL did what it was supposed to and that was against Miami. Go watch the film...the OL was firing off the line, taking the DL out of the play, and knocking the LB's senseless. The OL's job is to get downfield as well. I didn't see that in 2009. I saw a lot of soft guys falling down at the feet of defenders and "hoping" to get a block. I have a good friend at work who is a huge GT fan and he bitches more about the OL than I've even started to talk about. Notice Dwyer's numbers dropped a good bit this year as opposed to 2008 as well mainly because he was getting very little help up front. Luckily they played in the ACC where no one remembered how to play defense last year. Hell FSU didn't even have defensive playbooks last year...kinda explains some of their problem stopping the run.

And yes, GSU has had OL's that were way more impressive than GT's current one. That doesn't mean GT's won't get better, but right now I can probably name of at least 5 former GSU OL's that I would take over them.

Also, don't fool yourself. Find a copy of the Orange Bowl from this past year and watch the play of the right guard. It's disgusting. I was ashamed for GT for how pitiful that guy played. Go ahead....I'll wait.
I've watched all but two GT games last year, including the Orange Bowl, and it didn't take me reading half way through your post to know you are full of BS. Only a Southern fan would make excuses to bash an offensive line that ranked in the top ten in just about every category two years running. Then again, excuses have been all there is lately down in Statesboro so I'm not surprised. And for a fan of a school whose scoring defense was one of the worst in SoCon last year to be talking about ACC defense is just flat out priceless. Still, the best line of the post is where you claimed there are five former Southern OLs that could replace that GT line from last year, LOL! I mean this is literally comic section material.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 7th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I don't know how closely you guys have followed Tech but the OL has been a weak link. Did you watch the games against Miami and Clemson early in the season? The OL got owned and Johnson pretty much had to improvise somewhat to make the offense work. You are also conveniently forgetting that Tech runs an offense completely different from what you guys are going to run. And that tech had a moose like Jonathan Dwyer to help them gain yards up the middle.

Even if it's true that Tech had a good OL, it's really not as impressive as you guys think it is. GSU has had a good many transfers from FBS schools over the years (many from BCS schools) and at most two of them were above average for GSU players at their position. By the way, we have a few nice transfers that look just as good on paper...

1. John Douglas from Auburn. Was a front-runner to be a starter this year for Auburn. Was #5 fullback prospect nationally out of high school. Is coming to GSU to play defensive end because we are set at the fullback position.

2. Jaybo Shaw from Georgia Tech. Almost beat out Josh Nesbitt for the quarterback position and was a top-10 dual-threat quarterback in the nation in high school.

Neither will probably be standouts although they will both most likely start. If taking in transfers from FBS teams was a good way to get good FCS players then Delaware would be a juggernaut every year. All of the transfers that State has will most likely be average CAA starters except for maybe that QB from Alabama.

PhoenixSupreme
June 7th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Remember 2 good players doesn't make a good OL... 5 good players do.

GSUsTALON
June 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Believe it my man. Watch out for GSU.

Here's the school's official announcement about it.
http://www.georgiastatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=12700&atclid=204955236

U wont be in 1aa long enough to injoy the transfers-right?
GaSU beat USF the first time with 14 transfers and the 2nd time with 24 1a transfersxviolinx

eaglemachine
June 7th, 2010, 10:04 PM
@SaintDK10: Georgia State is loaded with transfers no doubt, but that means nothing until they actually play a game and you see how it all comes together. Why all of the crap talk against Georgia Southern and Statesboro? Two totally different schools. Georgia State an urban campus in a metro area, Georgia Southern a traditional campus in a college town. I personally really enjoyed my time in Statesboro at Georgia Southern. At Georgia Southern we do have a lot of pride and tradition because our past accomplishments can back it up. 6 flags, playoff appearances, etc. I've seen our old teams totally dominant. Our teams in the past 4 years are not like Georgia Southern teams of the past, but we are looking to return to that and once we start playing real GSU football again, we will be a powerhouse again. Georgia Southern is known for doing a lot with a little (go back and look when we started up). I'm excited for Georgia State, I really am. I live in Atlanta and work right near your campus and I think it would be great if we develop an in state SoCon vs CAA rivalry in a few years (much like SEC vs ACC). but god, play a game, then I'll listen to you, but until then don't trash talk my school