PDA

View Full Version : San Marcos Writer: TXST in Slow Lane Compared to UTSA

TexasTerror
June 2nd, 2010, 02:54 PM
I am not sure that this will go over well in the least bit in San Marcos. Though the writer starts off talking about scheduling, which was probably not the best route to take on this one...

The only legitimate things that the writer has going for him is..

1) Mentioning Travis Bush, the OC who left TXST for UTSA and said something along the lines that it was a 'step up' for him in his career.

2) UTSA having easier access to "big-time sponsorships" by being located in a metropolitan area. It is 100% on the mark since UTSA is in San Antonio proper, though we can acknowledge they do not control the market outright, but they should have a much better claim than TXST, which both fall under the University of Texas.

Everything else was really non-essential...though as we've discussed before, UTSA needs to generate buzz for their program, especially since their fans are not going to be too thrilled with the FCS schedule the first two years and so that conferences can see that UTSA is serious about their commitment to FBS...

TXST has to approach this in a much different manner, we've talked about that before.

Oh and Larry Teis was presumably at the Southland Conference meetings which got underway Tuesday. Perhaps the writer could do his homework for once, but he already showed that he did not in the story, so what's that tell you...

San Marcos — Texas State University’s “Drive” to the Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) is seemingly in the slow lane when compared to the University of Texas-San Antonio’s quest do the same thing with a program that has yet to play a football game.

Last week, UTSA officials announced a four-game series with Colorado State, making the Rams the sixth FBS team scheduled play the Roadrunners at the Alamodome. Texas State, on the other hand, hasn’t issued statement about any FBS-level teams coming to play in San Marcos at Bobcat Stadium, which has some local sports fans wondering if UTSA is on a faster, and perhaps more promising path, to the FBS level.

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/x1910023508/College-Athletics-States-FBS-drive-slow-compared-to-neighboring-UTSA

JSU02
June 2nd, 2010, 03:03 PM
The slow lane? UTSA doesn't even have a car to put in any lane as of yet.

TexasTerror
June 2nd, 2010, 03:11 PM
The slow lane? UTSA doesn't even have a car to put in any lane as of yet.

UTSA has not taken a snap, but both schools have similar goals over the next few years - FIND A HOME IN FBS

Both schools have different approaches to achieving that goal at the end of the rainbow and I think this writer was trying to illustrate (and failing to do so) that he thinks UTSA is rapidly moving towards the goal while the school he covers is not doing so well at their objective.

Green Cookie Monster
June 2nd, 2010, 03:31 PM
Unless TXST will pony up $750K-$1M for a visiting FBS team don't count on very many takers when UTSA will pay them with their higher gate receipt funds.

slycat
June 2nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
UTSA is completely different then Texas St.

UTSA has never played football, therefore they don't have to worry about classification rules and such. They know they can get some FBS games because they will never play in the SLC. They aren't viewed as FCS.

Texas St on the other hand has to remain quite because they play football in the SLC and don't want to piss off the conference. They won't get FBS games yet because the stadium sits 15,000 and are viewed as FCS. While both will move up it just won't happen the same way.

slycat
June 2nd, 2010, 05:31 PM
UTSA has not taken a snap, but both schools have similar goals over the next few years - FIND A HOME IN FBS

Both schools have different approaches to achieving that goal at the end of the rainbow and I think this writer was trying to illustrate (and failing to do so) that he thinks UTSA is rapidly moving towards the goal while the school he covers is not doing so well at their objective.

How do you know? Texas St is been heavily mentioned as a favorite to join the WAC. WAC fans seem to think Texas St is the front runner and the commissioner has brought them up as well.

TexasTerror
June 2nd, 2010, 05:34 PM
How do you know? Texas St is been heavily mentioned as a favorite to join the WAC. WAC fans seem to think Texas St is the front runner and the commissioner has brought them up as well.

Slycat - key words are he thinks, in as I believe the writer thinks this. My comments were directed at the writer's attempt to "illustrate".

As I have said on numerous occasions, each school is approaching this a different way.

Work with me here... ;)

slycat
June 2nd, 2010, 05:49 PM
Slycat - key words are he thinks, in as I believe the writer thinks this. My comments were directed at the writer's attempt to "illustrate".

As I have said on numerous occasions, each school is approaching this a different way.

Work with me here... ;)

I'm trying. The whole move up is just becoming confusing. Everyday is a new theory. While I love the speculation its starting to a blur.

I'm ready for some straight forward answers but fear they may be a year off.

Even if Boise St moves to MWC the WAC won't respond right away. Probably just add more fuel to the fire.

McNeese75
UTSA will be the Tulane of Texas. Sell 20,000 season tickets and put 7,000 butts in the seats

slycat
UTSA will be the Tulane of Texas. Sell 20,000 season tickets and put 7,000 butts in the seats

Would not surprise me at all

Sly Fox
June 2nd, 2010, 05:57 PM
For the record, I have known that writer for a long time and he knows his business. He's been at that paper for what seems like an eternity and he is very well connected in the community and on campus. Randy does a great job covering the Bobcats and everything else in his market.

TexasTerror
June 2nd, 2010, 06:06 PM
For the record, I have known that writer for a long time and he knows his business. He's been at that paper for what seems like an eternity and he is very well connected in the community and on campus. Randy does a great job covering the Bobcats and everything else in his market.

Sure is getting run under the bus by the TXST fans and based on several of the things I pointed out, apparently has not done the research proper for an article that plunges a knife in the back of the program he covers...

I'm sure Larry Teis is not at all thrilled about it... xscanx

Mr. C
June 2nd, 2010, 08:24 PM
Pretty idiotic idea for a story and obviously written by someone who doesn't have a clue about college football.

TexasTerror
June 2nd, 2010, 08:25 PM
Pretty idiotic idea for a story and obviously written by someone who doesn't have a clue about college football.

No question there...

And whether the TXST fans agree with it or not, the San Marcos Daily Record just created material for UTSA to recruit against TXST.

We're all aware that TXST's coaching staff is talking to potential recruits about playing at FBS, but this article is a pretty good case for UTSA's staff if they do compete against TXST for players...

kbobcat05
June 2nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
No question there...

And whether the TXST fans agree with it or not, the San Marcos Daily Record just created material for UTSA to recruit against TXST.

We're all aware that TXST's coaching staff is talking to potential recruits about playing at FBS, but this article is a pretty good case for UTSA's staff if they do compete against TXST for players...

The recruiting material is probably the part that bothers me the most. TT you are dead on with material for the nUTSAck staff to use against us.

TXST_CAT
June 2nd, 2010, 10:43 PM
The recruiting material is probably the part that bothers me the most. TT you are dead on with material for the nUTSAck staff to use against us.

All our coaches need to do is show then this for the real facts.

http://smdrcatscradle.blogspot.com/2010/05/college-athletics-texas-state.html

THURSDAY, MAY 20, 2010
College Athletics: Texas State expressing interest in four conferences
According to a high source within the Texas State Department of Athletics, the Bobcats have expressed high interest in joining four Football Bowl Subdivision conferences when the NCAA moratorium is lifted in 2011.

Texas State has talked with Conference USA, Mountain West, Sun Belt and the Western Athletic Conference about joining once movement is allowed.

This is on the heels of a report published by the Las Cruces Sun-News about a possible realignment in the WAC. WAC Commissioner Karl Benson was quoted as to saying "four or five schools" asked about joining the conference — Cal Davis, Cal Poly, Montana, Portland State, Sacramento State and Texas State.

"You can rest assured those conferences know our intentions," the source said. "We've had people in contact with them for the better part of a year, showing them pictures of improvements we've made to facilities and trying to convince them we'd be a good fit."

Dominoes could start to fall for the Bobcats once conferences begin holding their annual summer meetings.
POSTED BY TYLER MAYFORTH AT 8:29 PM

Hmm UTSA not mentioned. xcoffeex

So while UTSA is out scheduling games, our admin is sitting with conferences and discussing invites.

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2010, 07:22 AM
All our coaches need to do is show then this for the real facts.

Hmm UTSA not mentioned. xcoffeex

So while UTSA is out scheduling games, our admin is sitting with conferences and discussing invites.

You think UTSA is not telling their recruits what their aspirations are and what they are doing behind the scenes?

I have a buddy that went to Utah recently and they told him that they plan to be in the Pac-10 in two years. Have you seen anyone from Utah publicly say something like that? Nope.

UTSA is doing the same thing as Utah and of course, the article you posted does not quote any administrator stating that the school is talking to conference.

So does that article have "real facts"? I am sure it is an accurate and correct statement, but until someone says something from the TXST end (I know the WAC commish has remarked), it is all hearsay and assumption.

If I am UTSA, I would not be too concerned with the blog post as I would be if I were TXST seeing the article by their very own beat writer.

Always nice when a Bobcat agrees with me... ;)

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2010, 07:25 AM

Mr. C, this comes from a Bobcat fan on their message board - basically stating that they were trying to dumb down the information and talk from the standpoint of someone ill-informed (what a 'layman perceives')...

I wrote Randy Stevens about the WAC commissioner talking to us, and the NCAA rule that is about to pass that requires FCS schools have an invite from a conference. And his response was basically that he knows about those things, but he was writing a story based on what the layman perceives, not what is actually happening.

That is my problem with the piece, he wasn't concerned with reporting the facts, he just wanted to fan the flames.

TexasTerror
June 5th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Got to give the guy credit, he admitted to his mistakes that he was called out on here and in his e-mail box...I'll let everyone else decipher the rest...

My opinion? Still think this was more of a "make good" since there is really no information shared that is new or relative to the conversation. It does go forward praising the efforts of TXST while really making UTSA out to be a fool if the NCAA legislation does not go there way. Again, Hickey is convinced that they can get a waiver since they are far along in their efforts...

And finally, being the Typo King I am, I unfortunately referred UTSA head football coach Larry Coker, Jim Coker — the name of an old football coach at Lone Oak High School I used to cover in my younger days as a scribe. An honest, but regrettable mistake.

He was attending Southland Conference meetings and simply unable to return my phone calls before a deadline Wednesday, but Teis contacted me the next morning with a text that said out of respect of the Southland Conference he would not comment on UTSA or FBS football.

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/x93703521/Opinion-Different-philosophies-same-FBS-goal

TexasTerror
June 18th, 2010, 04:42 PM
This may make TXST fans happy, a blog entry from the AD...

This is a very exciting time for all college athletic fans as the landscape of collegiate conferences appears to be changing each week. Obviously we are extremely interested in the realignment process, and how we can be prepared to do what is best for Texas State when the opportunity presents itself. We must continue to expand our support base and increase the amount of Bobcat season ticket holders and Bobcat Club donors to make ourselves better; this is something that each individual can do to show their support of the Drive! I ask our fans to continue to support the Drive and our goals and let your friends know about what is happening with Bobcat Athletics.

With that being said, I recently returned from the Southland Conference annual spring meetings and one of the many issues discussed was conference realignment and how the SLC is preparing to do what is best for the league. As many of you are already aware, legislation was passed that will require SLC institutions to participate as SLC members in any sports that are offered championships within the league. This essentially would limit institutions from playing FBS Independent football while having their other sports continue to participate in the SLC. NCAA legislation is being proposed this January that will require any FCS Football program attempting to move to the FBS level to be sponsored by an FBS conference. Both of these decisions are legislation that all of our fans need to be aware of and educated about.

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/ot/txst-ask-the-ad.html

centexguy
June 18th, 2010, 07:09 PM
This may make TXST fans happy, a blog entry from the AD...

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/ot/txst-ask-the-ad.html

From the same article I saw this:

Season ticket numbers are currently at 1050 seats sold, last year at this time we were at 682 season tickets sold. These numbers do not include corporate partner tickets, club level seats or suite tickets. We expect that these numbers will continue to increase throughout the summer and I hope to be able to announce in September record breaking figures for both groups.

For a school that wants to go FBS, that's hardly any season tickets. I guess they'll rely mostly on student fees to fund their move to FBS.

TexasTerror
June 18th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Well, remember last year - TXST had to get a lift from the Fields to reach their goal of XXXX amount of tickets. For some reason, I think it was 1k.

Even if TXST sells 1,500 to 2,000 season tickets - that would be good for 3rd or 4th amongst SLC member institutions at best. McNeese will have 7-9k in season tickets and Lamar reportedly had 3k+.

txstatebobcat
June 19th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I believe we sold around 3,000 tickets for the 2008 season. By the looks of it should be well above that number by the 1st game against Southern Arkansas. The numbers aren't great by any stretch of the imagination, and IMO its all due to the dark ages that occurred from 1985-2003 or so. I can't prove it, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if there were 5-10 times more bobcat alumni from that era who are longhorn season ticket holders than those who attend bobcat games. At this point in time there is not a whole lo to be done about it, except just keep going forward. The last 5-7 years the students have packed their side of the stadium and this should translate into more season ticket holders as time goes by, however it will take a decade or more before we start approaching the 10,000+ season ticket mark. With that said, a move to FBS would help us win back some of those alumni that have lost their way.

txst80
June 21st, 2010, 01:17 AM
Yep, we don't sell season tickets as well as some of our SLC friends. I think the last post sums it up pretty well, I would like to see the numbers from the late 80s through 2004 or so. I bet season tickets sales were absolutely abysmal. Even if our season ticket figures don't look impressive they are improving steadily.

Regardless our overall attendance is very good compared to the rest of the conference. Mcneese and Texas State lead the league in attendance by a fair margin. Mcneese at 12,900 and Tx State at 12,500. Most schools in our conference only manage around 6,000 a game. I think SFA was the only other team to average over 10,000, they were just above 11,000 overall.

So, our students show up to games and we get some support from the townies. With the change in attitude across campus over the last 8-10 years we will continue to see more season ticket holders. Personally, this upcoming season will only be my 2nd as a season ticket holder. There are many like myself and will continue to be more.

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Having problems finding another TXST/FBS thread to post this on, but here's an interview with TXST AD Larry Teis...

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/sports/kxan-Texas-St.-A.D.-talks-football-move-and-more

TexasTerror
August 6th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Wonder what the TXST fans would think if UTSA were able to get an indoor facility, as discussed on the SMU PonyFans board (http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46558)...

Would be nice to have on campus, especially so they could mimic the conditions of playing in the Alamodome from an 'indoor turf' standpoint...

dirty bird
August 7th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Would be nice to have on campus, especially so they could mimic the conditions of playing in the Alamodome from an 'indoor turf' standpoint...

That would be awesome for UTSA.

YouCanUseaMint
August 8th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Wonder what the TXST fans would think if UTSA were able to get an indoor facility, as discussed on the SMU PonyFans board (http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46558)...

If they can go forward with it, then by all means good for them. I think at this time, we have more important things to spend money on. Though if TXST ever wanted one, an indoor facility is just a few million and doesn't take long to complete. xrotatehx

TexasTerror
August 8th, 2010, 08:43 AM
If they can go forward with it, then by all means good for them. I think at this time, we have more important things to spend money on. Though if TXST ever wanted one, an indoor facility is just a few million and doesn't take long to complete. xrotatehx

I would think that UTSA has "more important things" to spend money on as well, as they try to keep up in the arm's race (they are behind TXST in several facility areas as is). Still, football is the crown jewel and an on-campus indoor practice facility would say a lot about the commitment from UTSA.

bigred360
August 8th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Well, remember last year - TXST had to get a lift from the Fields to reach their goal of XXXX amount of tickets. For some reason, I think it was 1k.

Even if TXST sells 1,500 to 2,000 season tickets - that would be good for 3rd or 4th amongst SLC member institutions at best. McNeese will have 7-9k in season tickets and Lamar reportedly had 3k+.

Lamar via the ticket manager there are about 5K sold up to date. Hopefully we'll sell a couple thousand more.

YouCanUseaMint
August 8th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I would think that UTSA has "more important things" to spend money on as well, as they try to keep up in the arm's race (they are behind TXST in several facility areas as is). Still, football is the crown jewel and an on-campus indoor practice facility would say a lot about the commitment from UTSA.

TT, have you heard any dates for their phases of facility construction?

You know, after this summer has played out, I wouldn't consider us to be "in the slow lane" after all.. UTSA has major speed bumps to get over and roadblocks to detour while we just keep truckin' along. Two very different programs eying FBS in two very different ways. xtwocentsx

TexasTerror
August 8th, 2010, 11:47 AM
You know, after this summer has played out, I wouldn't consider us to be "in the slow lane" after all.. UTSA has major speed bumps to get over and roadblocks to detour while we just keep truckin' along. Two very different programs eying FBS in two very different ways. xtwocentsx

I am not convinced either is in a better or worse position than the other after this summer...

I feel for the TXST folks, because the WAC will mean it will be harder to follow your programs - both in-person and via radio/TV. There will be limited coverage from your media due to the costs of travel for a paper like the San Marcos Daily Record (let's be honest - the AAS and SAEN will not send folks on the road for TXST). If anything, UTSA could be a "package deal" with TXST for the WAC.

UTSA, I am not convinced they are going to be in the WAC. The Sun Belt would love them more than TXST IMO if they were put in a position to expand. I also think C-USA would be more inclined to take UTSA than TXST. Neither of those leagues would need a 'package deal' because of their footprint in TX already.

tw_fatcat
August 8th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I am not convinced either is in a better or worse position than the other after this summer...

I feel for the TXST folks, because the WAC will mean it will be harder to follow your programs - both in-person and via radio/TV. There will be limited coverage from your media due to the costs of travel for a paper like the San Marcos Daily Record (let's be honest - the AAS and SAEN will not send folks on the road for TXST). If anything, UTSA could be a "package deal" with TXST for the WAC.

UTSA, I am not convinced they are going to be in the WAC. The Sun Belt would love them more than TXST IMO if they were put in a position to expand. I also think C-USA would be more inclined to take UTSA than TXST. Neither of those leagues would need a 'package deal' because of their footprint in TX already.

Exactly why are you convinced of the things you are convinced? Just a gut feeling?

TexasTerror
August 8th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Exactly why are you convinced of the things you are convinced? Just a gut feeling?

I'm convinced that the name of Larry Coker and the Alamodome facility help out a great deal. For a league like the Sun Belt or C-USA, having a big-time facility (yes - Alamodome is not what it was a few years ago) with a well known coach (even though he won't last forever), plus a school in a major media market - helps out tremendously.

Working against UTSA in the C-USA is the current make-up. Not sure the private schools in the West Division (Tulsa, SMU, Rice and Tulane) want a public school that could have a quickly escalating budget.

For the SBC, I think UTSA is much more beneficial than TXST. They can play annually in a major TX metropolitan area in football (DFW - Denton or San Antonio), while also playing in two great facilities (new NT stadium, Alamodome). SBC would love some big name coaches to help their prestige (see Schnelly and how he's touted at FAU).

I also think that having Curry (in-conjunction wtih the GeorgiaDome) at Georgia State helps their case as well.

Really - UTSA needs to answer the basketball and baseball facility questions in quick order to ensure their place ahead of TXST for the SBC, but more particularly C-USA. I think the basketball facility issue would wrap up the #1 in of the TX schools in the mind of the SBC, while baseball needs to be answered for a C-USA.

YouCanUseaMint
August 8th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I'm convinced that the name of Larry Coker and the Alamodome facility help out a great deal. For a league like the Sun Belt or C-USA, having a big-time facility (yes - Alamodome is not what it was a few years ago) with a well known coach (even though he won't last forever), plus a school in a major media market - helps out tremendously.

Working against UTSA in the C-USA is the current make-up. Not sure the private schools in the West Division (Tulsa, SMU, Rice and Tulane) want a public school that could have a quickly escalating budget.

For the SBC, I think UTSA is much more beneficial than TXST. They can play annually in a major TX metropolitan area in football (DFW - Denton or San Antonio), while also playing in two great facilities (new NT stadium, Alamodome). SBC would love some big name coaches to help their prestige (see Schnelly and how he's touted at FAU).

I also think that having Curry (in-conjunction wtih the GeorgiaDome) at Georgia State helps their case as well.

Really - UTSA needs to answer the basketball and baseball facility questions in quick order to ensure their place ahead of TXST for the SBC, but more particularly C-USA. I think the basketball facility issue would wrap up the #1 in of the TX schools in the mind of the SBC, while baseball needs to be answered for a C-USA.

What about academics? You don't think the private schools would vote against a school with an acceptance rate of near 90%, while only retaining close to 50% of those? I don't think they want another UTEP, academic wise...

TxState_GO_CATS!
August 8th, 2010, 08:38 PM
UTSA's acceptance rate is below 100% now? WHERE HAVE I BEEN?! Well, it's a step in the right direction. xhurrayx

BTW, that was not smack...it's based on fact.xrulesx

There are certainly many ways in which to compare the two schools with respect to their FBS aspirations. Honestly...I've never really been too excited about UTSA for several reasons. Sure, they've planned a number of big games but it's only because of their venue and geography. If you take those two factors away, where does UTSA stand?

I live in SA and I know about the casual SA sports fan. I've attend several sporting events throughout the city and here are my observations. SA fans couldn't even sell out the Alamodome/ATT/SBC Center while the Spurs were winning NBA championships--and this is a city and media market that is absolutely Spurs and Cowboys CRAZY! The UTSA fans don't exactly come out in droves to support UTSA basketball (which, I would assume, would be the #1 sport for a current non-football school)--maybe it's because UTSA is predominately a commuter school with several campus. Having several campuses could be viewed as an advantage, but you have to realize that SA is geographically HUGE! One of their campuses is downtown (not their main one) but the other one is clear on the North/Northwest side of town--about a 25-30 minute drive away! There has to be some worries about promoting school spirit and a sense of cohesion as an institution. Furthermore, when/if UTSA decides to build an on-campus facility, where will it go? Downtown with its "sister" campus or in the residential/rural area of its main campus? Just wondering. Incarnate Word has had some good crowds, but SA fans have had a successful football program for some time (albeit D3 Trinity Univ) in this huge city...but have not come out in droves to support them either.

The one game that the New Orleans Saints played in the Dome during Katrina was alot of fun, but still...not full. And that was NFL.

SA is a beautiful city--my favorite of all Texas cities. I just don't see fans coming out to support a team that (most likely) won't have winning records for a few years and even with a winning record, this city has not shown that it really gives a ****.

Then again, it's all about perspective. I wish them luck xthumbsupx but I've always thought, at least from the perspective which I am viewing this situation, that Texas State was in a better situation right now.

just my xtwocentsx

TexasTerror
August 8th, 2010, 08:53 PM
There are certainly many ways in which to compare the two schools with respect to their FBS aspirations. Honestly...I've never really been too excited about UTSA for several reasons. Sure, they've planned a number of big games but it's only because of their venue and geography. If you take those two factors away, where does UTSA stand?

You can not take out venue and geography...OR recognition of head coach (trust me, talked to people who said this is a big deal).

If UTSA's facilities are comparable, if not better than TXST - it's "game, set and match". UTSA needs to speed up the baseball and basketball upgrade issues and then they'll be ahead of TXST significantly.

TxState_GO_CATS!
August 8th, 2010, 09:02 PM
You can not take out venue and geography...OR recognition of head coach (trust me, talked to people who said this is a big deal).

If UTSA's facilities are comparable, if not better than TXST - it's "game, set and match". UTSA needs to speed up the baseball and basketball upgrade issues and then they'll be ahead of TXST significantly.

Venue and geography don't add up to automatic success. Just ask Tulane. Plus, given all the other reasons I mentioned, is playing in a 1/4 full Alamodome better than playing in a 80-100% stadium? Unless you're one of the folks predicting UTSA to pull in 60,000+ per game...

With respect to Coker, give me a break. A start up program is a much MUCH different set of cards than the traditionally-strong University of Miami. And how exactly does this buy a program instant credibility? No smack...but the guy didn't have a job, UTSA needed to hire a name, and BAM. Is that all it takes--just hiring a coach who's "known?" Interesting...I think it would have been a little different had the Runners hired a high-profile FBS assistant--maybe the Phillips guy SHSU was going after at UH, maybe offer a TON of money to the DC at UT (though it's a pipe dream and that would have been a DUMB move for him considering he's the coach-in-waiting), or hell--MIKE LEACH! :) etc...

But, it's all speculation right now...we will just have to wait n see. xrotatehx

TXST_CAT
August 8th, 2010, 10:07 PM

Interesting. I'm hearing different. I hear Presidents and AD's want to see investment in things like on campus facilities. The idea of a HC making a program is not as important because HC's can come and go. Alumni support and ticket sales as well as improved facilities are what conferences are looking for as well as Market.

YouCanUseaMint
August 8th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Venue and geography don't add up to automatic success. Just ask Tulane. Plus, given all the other reasons I mentioned, is playing in a 1/4 full Alamodome better than playing in a 80-100% stadium? Unless you're one of the folks predicting UTSA to pull in 60,000+ per game...

With respect to Coker, give me a break. A start up program is a much MUCH different set of cards than the traditionally-strong University of Miami. And how exactly does this buy a program instant credibility? No smack...but the guy didn't have a job, UTSA needed to hire a name, and BAM. Is that all it takes--just hiring a coach who's "known?" Interesting...I think it would have been a little different had the Runners hired a high-profile FBS assistant--maybe the Phillips guy SHSU was going after at UH, maybe offer a TON of money to the DC at UT (though it's a pipe dream and that would have been a DUMB move for him considering he's the coach-in-waiting), or hell--MIKE LEACH! :) etc...

But, it's all speculation right now...we will just have to wait n see. xrotatehx

Never realized it, but Tulane is a good example...

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2010, 06:58 AM

Tulane's problem is the cost of admission for equivalency sports (over $45k a year) and poor facilities outside of baseball. Tulane does not like playing at the Superdome, while UTSA is embracing the Alamodome. Tulane has an attendance of over 20k listed, but that's because the northerners buy season tickets to keep their program Div I. McNeese outdrew the Green Wave at their own place. The Green Wave want an on-campus stadium (again) and we'll see if that comes to fruition.

And with geography - being in NOLA does nothing for the program. Tulane has high academic standards and this is a poorly funded and poorly performing city when it comes to performing in the classroom. They have to recruit out of the area, because outside of baseball, you are not able to get the locals - let alone keep them eligible..

With respect to Coker, give me a break. A start up program is a much MUCH different set of cards than the traditionally-strong University of Miami. And how exactly does this buy a program instant credibility? No smack...but the guy didn't have a job, UTSA needed to hire a name, and BAM. Is that all it takes--just hiring a coach who's "known?"

I've heard comments from a member of a league office LAST WEEK regarding how league pundits of one league were more intrigued by a school just because of their head coach.

Interesting. I'm hearing different. I hear Presidents and AD's want to see investment in things like on campus facilities. The idea of a HC making a program is not as important because HC's can come and go. Alumni support and ticket sales as well as improved facilities are what conferences are looking for as well as Market.

TXST has made an investment in campus facilities, etc. and UTSA still has a ways to go to match it - particularly basketball and baseball/softball. That's going to hurt UTSA and give the edge to TXST. I've said in this thread that if UTSA gets their act together in those areas, they'll move ahead of TXST and that's no joke.

Bobcat94
August 9th, 2010, 10:34 AM
TT,

I'd agree with you on UTSA's facilities issues, but Basketball is easy, play in the Alamodome, Baseball may be closer than you think if the Missions work with the City to build a new stadium closer to the heart of the city that UTSA could work with.

I'm a Bobcat that is very concerned with UTSA. They are very attractive for a Conference like CUSA. Having been to several Alamo Bowl games and seeing how well people travel to those games, makes me think that when UTSA gets these future FBS games signed, it is more about the City of San Antonio and fans from other schools wanting a three day weekend in San Antonio. UTSA has something TxST doesn't have, a tourist destination... UTSA is not attractive, it is the City of San Antonio. Golf, SeaWorld, Fiesta Texas, The Alamo, The Riverwalk, the (real) Missions, a great selection of highend spas and hotels and Great food.

SA is a great place to visit...UTSA will have it easy going to FBS, hell they may even be able to get some money out of hosting a conference championship in every freaking sport except Baseball, for now....

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I'd agree with you on UTSA's facilities issues, but Basketball is easy, play in the Alamodome, Baseball may be closer than you think if the Missions work with the City to build a new stadium closer to the heart of the city that UTSA could work with.

Is there any more news on the collaborative effort with the San Antonio Missions? And I doubt you'd want to see basketball play in the Alamodome.

I'm a Bobcat that is very concerned with UTSA. They are very attractive for a Conference like CUSA. Having been to several Alamo Bowl games and seeing how well people travel to those games, makes me think that when UTSA gets these future FBS games signed, it is more about the City of San Antonio and fans from other schools wanting a three day weekend in San Antonio. UTSA has something TxST doesn't have, a tourist destination... UTSA is not attractive, it is the City of San Antonio. Golf, SeaWorld, Fiesta Texas, The Alamo, The Riverwalk, the (real) Missions, a great selection of highend spas and hotels and Great food.

SA is a great place to visit...UTSA will have it easy going to FBS, hell they may even be able to get some money out of hosting a conference championship in every freaking sport except Baseball, for now....

I agree...

And the problem as a TXST fan is that you do not want to see a new program, particularly one in your backyard start up football and surpass you from a conference standpoint. It'd make your stomaches sick if they were C-USA while you guys were in the Sun Belt or the "new" WAC. I'm sure they'd feel the same way about you guys...

dirty bird
August 9th, 2010, 11:40 AM
UTSA is not attractive, it is the City of San Antonio. Golf, SeaWorld, Fiesta Texas, The Alamo, The Riverwalk, the (real) Missions, a great selection of highend spas and hotels and Great food.

I really can't think of too many attractive universities in Texas. All of the more attractive universities I've seen were either set in the Northeast [Virginia has a beautiful campus] or Southeast [Georgia for instance].
Most people don't love UT because of the achitecture, but because of their academic standing, the nightlife in the vicinity, their sports teams and the city of Austin. UTSA may not be the traditional university bell tower school, but it's certainly not in the ghetto. Its in an extremely pleasant area of the city - nice homes, nice trees, a Bass Pro Shop, high end retail [Neiman Marcus, etc], a great golf course at La Cantera.
And with the buidling of the sports complex within the next two years [I believe they get underway in early 2011] UTSA will have much nicer facilities.

We're still waiting on the academics, but just google the school and you'll get everything from the hiring a dean from Sandia National [nuclear] Labs to spending over 67 million in research [which I believe is in the top 10 -maybe top 5- in Texas public ed] to a 50 million dollar partnership to produce sustainable energy in Texas. http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/New_hire_at_UTSA_called_key_for_SA.html; http://www.utsa.edu/today/2009/11/researchspending.html

Once all three pieces; the acadmics are further improved, the facilities are built and the football program running, I'm pretty certain UTSA will be an attractive university with the fortune of being in a one horse town that has a thirst for Saturday football.

txst80
August 9th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I really can't think of too many attractive universities in Texas. All of the more attractive universities I've seen were either set in the Northeast [Virginia has a beautiful campus] or Southeast [Georgia for instance].
Most people don't love UT because of the achitecture, but because of their academic standing, the nightlife in the vicinity, their sports teams and the city of Austin. UTSA may not be the traditional university bell tower school, but it's certainly not in the ghetto. Its in an extremely pleasant area of the city - nice homes, nice trees, a Bass Pro Shop, high end retail [Neiman Marcus, etc], a great golf course at La Cantera.

I don't think he meant attractive litterally, like aesthetically pleasing. I think he meant its not utsa itself that is attractive to FBS conferences, it is the city of SA that attracts them.

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I don't think he meant attractive litterally, like aesthetically pleasing. I think he meant its not utsa itself that is attractive to FBS conferences, it is the city of SA that attracts them.

I will agree with that assessment.

UTSA - particularly as it stands right now in relation to facilities - is not attractive to FBS. The city of San Antonio is playing a major role in bolstering the profile of the university in its quest for an FBS conference, therefore making it attractive.

TXST does not have media infiltration of a major media market, regardless of claims made by members of their fan base. UTSA is building a media presence in San Antonio and early returns are favorable (namely the page impressions/hits to the UTSA blog on MySA.com). TXST does have the facilities - namely the upgrades to the on-campus football facility and the recent baseball/softball upgrades - to their benefit.

dirty bird
August 9th, 2010, 10:26 PM

OK, but paragraphs 2,3, & 4 of my post addressed what it will take for UTSA to be attractive to an FBS conference and explained that the process is much further than many realize.

TexasTerror
December 7th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Props to our friends in San Marcos...

They are moving over in lanes now that the WAC invite has been in hand and accepted...

The home-and-homes with Navy and Wyoming are a step in the right direction. The TXST athletic administration realizes that they need to keep the alum's attention and make the boosters happy with FBS - particularly with the questions surrounding the future of the WAC. Now is the time to speed things up and get out of that 'slow lane' that Stevens talked about...

El Gato
April 29th, 2012, 10:20 AM
And?
Weren't you one of the proponents of a move to to the Sun Belt, saying that is a good conference that gets a bad rep?