18. Weber St. 639
19. Liberty 582
20. Furman 491
21. Eastern Illinois 480
22. Montana St. 377
23. Cal Poly 319
24. Pennsylvania 277
25. Holy Cross 262

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Prairie View A&M (43), Texas St. (41), Northern Arizona (36), Massachusetts (31), Maine (30), Colgate (25), Wofford (22), Eastern Kentucky (20), Lafayette (19), UC Davis (17), Chattanooga (15), Illinois St. (15), Florida A&M (14), Georgia Southern (14), North Dakota St. (13), Central Arkansas (11), Youngstown St. (11), Harvard (10), Lehigh (10), Stony Brook (10), Southeastern Louisiana (9), Albany (8), Grambling St. (7), Dayton (5), Missouri St. (5)

TexasTerror
June 1st, 2010, 10:17 AM
SLC thoughts...

Stephen F. Austin should be in the top 10. Not sure how they fell outside of the top 10, especially by 100 points. They'll have to prove their worth.

McNeese has a new starting quarterback and while they seem to reload, I just have a hard time believing they are worth of a top 15 spot. I would put them in the 15-25 range without a problem.

TxSt-San Marcos is just about right in their spot in the ARV. I think they have potential, but they are also a team that can fall flat. There is the lingering QB issue and until proven otherwise, interested to see how the running backs fare, especially if QB is not sharp.

Central Arkansas has some reputation and to see them get votes is not surprising. They have had a successful transition, though surprised to see them ahead of Stony Brook, who should be favored to compete for the Big South title.

Southeastern Louisiana is grossly underrated. The fact they are the #5 team in the SLC based on the AGS preseason poll is not something to be proud of as far as an AGS poll voter goes. I would've thought they would have at least been in the top 30. We'll see...

achrist70
June 1st, 2010, 10:21 AM
Seems pretty good, little surprised ISU red only had 15 votes.

Can't wait for the UNI-SFA game should be a real test for the Panthers.

bjtheflamesfan
June 1st, 2010, 10:23 AM
LU is only slightly lower than I would have expected...I had us at least in the top 15 but definitely there is a lot of chance to move up in that first four game stretch (especially with the Ball State and JMU games back-to-back

OL FU
June 1st, 2010, 10:26 AM
Good number of Participants for the pre-season poll over a holiday weekendxthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
June 1st, 2010, 10:27 AM
Lehigh (10)

xthumbsupx

JMUNJ08
June 1st, 2010, 10:27 AM
Southeastern Louisiana is grossly underrated. The fact they are the #5 team in the SLC based on the AGS preseason poll is not something to be proud of as far as an AGS poll voter goes. I would've thought they would have at least been in the top 30. We'll see...

I would have to agree. SE Louisiana I read up on and seems to be legit shot for an at-large bid this year. Should be a good race in the SLC.

As SO many of us are unsure where teams will fall next season, many seem to vote on last year's results disregarding graduations (Holy Cross losing Randolph?)

Hey, its only JUNE 1st!

Lehigh Football Nation
June 1st, 2010, 10:30 AM
The only one I really scratch my head about is Weber State at No. 18. Don't they have Cameron Higgins coming back, and are still fresh off a playoff appearance? Maybe Top Ten is a little too much to ask for, but certainly a solid 10-15 doesn't seem unreasonable.

Oh yeah, and Colgate NO QUESTION is a Top 25 team. They should be in the poll at 25 - at LEAST - in front of Holy Cross.

NHwildEcat
June 1st, 2010, 10:38 AM
My top 6 seemed to agree with everyone else for the most part...a bit of a different order but all there! I am satisfied with the top half of the poll, its still hard to determine the lower half at this point but seems pretty fair to me. I still think maybe Maine should have received more consideration.

Rob Iola
June 1st, 2010, 10:40 AM
SC State at #10? Over SFA, UNI, McNeese, JMU, etc.?

I can seriously see them mowing thru the MEAC, end up at 9-2 (1 conf loss and GA Tech), having a 1st round game at Furman/Elon/Richmond/W&M, and losing. It's the same story every year...

Lehigh Football Nation
June 1st, 2010, 10:42 AM
SC State at #10? Over SFA, UNI, McNeese, JMU, etc.?

I can seriously see them mowing thru the MEAC, end up at 9-2 (1 conf loss and GA Tech), having a 1st round game at Furman/Elon/Richmond/W&M, and losing. It's the same story every year...

If SCSU mows through the MEAC, loses to Georgia Tech and loses a 29-28 heartbreaker to FAMU, if they're not hosting a first-round game something is wrong.

Rob Iola
June 1st, 2010, 10:44 AM
If SCSU mows through the MEAC, loses to Georgia Tech and loses a 29-28 heartbreaker to FAMU, if they're not hosting a first-round game something is wrong.
And yet isn't this the same scenario every year with the MEAC auto?

UNH Fanboi
June 1st, 2010, 10:51 AM

Yeah, but SC State played ASU very tough in the playoffs last year and returns a lot of talent. There is some reason to believe that they'll be better than the average MEAC auto.

4th and What?
June 1st, 2010, 10:54 AM

How so? Where is a decent win? And I assume the above is with FAMU going undefeated in the MEAC. Neither SCSU or FAMU have any halfway decent OOC games scheduled.

The MEAC conference may very well be down with the PFL in terms of strength of the conference by the end of the year unless NC Central or Howard come up with some OOC wins (or someone gets an FBS win).

Even with the expanded playoffs I don't see the MEAC being a two bid league until they step it up.

ngineer
June 1st, 2010, 10:56 AM
The only one I really scratch my head about is Weber State at No. 18. Don't they have Cameron Higgins coming back, and are still fresh off a playoff appearance? Maybe Top Ten is a little too much to ask for, but certainly a solid 10-15 doesn't seem unreasonable.

Oh yeah, and Colgate NO QUESTION is a Top 25 team. They should be in the poll at 25 - at LEAST - in front of Holy Cross.

I agree with you. While each PL contender has question marks, Colgate's are the least problematic. I certainly consider them, preseason, to be in the 20-25 range, with Lehigh, Holy Cross and Lafayette on the fringe. Lehigh's September schedule will give a very early indicator of how good the Mountain Hawks can be..#1 Villanova and #6 UNH (on the road). An upset against either will do wonders, so long as the kids don't forget about Drake and Princeton. No way they should be "looking ahead" to Villanova when they go out to Iowa to play Drake, as they should give us a decent game out there for their home opener.

ngineer
June 1st, 2010, 10:58 AM
Also, excellent response by the voters! Good to see a significant turnout.xthumbsupx

Saint3333
June 1st, 2010, 11:44 AM
Richmond at #8? I just don't see them finishing above JMU or Delaware this year.

AppAlum2003
June 1st, 2010, 11:46 AM
Shocked that this poll has been out for over 2 hours and no one has cried about how high ASU is...

I'll start - I don't think they belong in the top 5. Top 10 for sure, but 3 is WAY too high.

FCS Go!
June 1st, 2010, 12:07 PM
I think App is a solid 2 or 3. My understanding is that they have 9 returning starters on O and 7 on D. Most teams in the poll are not returning that many.

NHwildEcat
June 1st, 2010, 12:25 PM
Shocked that this poll has been out for over 2 hours and no one has cried about how high ASU is...

I'll start - I don't think they belong in the top 5. Top 10 for sure, but 3 is WAY too high.

I had them at 6 in my poll which I though was fair going into this season. If they respond well with a new QB then they have the opportunity to rise in the poll...but I agree, they must prove themselves considering what they lost.

WestCoastAggie
June 1st, 2010, 12:28 PM

xbangx

BigHouseClosedEnd
June 1st, 2010, 12:49 PM
Richmond at #8? I just don't see them finishing above JMU or Delaware this year.

Are you just going to comment on Richmond being too high in every poll that is released? You should change your handle to 'BrokenRecord3333'.

JazzyBulldog05
June 1st, 2010, 12:53 PM
If we get the AQ this year and finish undefeated in the MEAC, I don't see why we shouldn't host a game.......

LeadBolt
June 1st, 2010, 12:53 PM
As much as this hurts to say, I think W&M is too high at #4, especially given their schedule. I will be happy if they can grab a playoff spot after all the time they spend in New England this fall.

CSN-info
June 1st, 2010, 01:31 PM
2010 FCS Preseason AGS Poll Announced

Reigning National Champion Villanova landed the top spot garnering 81 first place votes in the seventh annual preseason AnyGivenSaturday.com (AGS) Poll of the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) released today. The AGS Poll has been the first released national poll each year since it’s inception in 2004.

Following the Wildcats in the top ten were (in order): Montana, Appalachian State, William & Mary, Southern Illinois, New Hampshire, Elon, Richmond, South Dakota State, and South Carolina State.

Read More... (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?202-2010-FCS-Preseason-AGS-Poll-Announced)

JMUNJ08
June 1st, 2010, 02:07 PM
I think the biggest thing people are noticing is that if Nova doesn't lose anyone to the baseball draft they are the clear #1 going into the season. Also there are good solid group of teams who deserve 6-10 in the rankings, however, not many without some glaring question marks for 2-5 (not saying Nova is light years ahead). Can't wait to vote again! xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

gbhmt
June 1st, 2010, 02:36 PM

Having a quarterback that was going to USC can go a pretty long way in FCS...

Saint3333
June 1st, 2010, 02:44 PM
Are you just going to comment on Richmond being too high in every poll that is released? You should change your handle to 'BrokenRecord3333'.

There have only been two polls, so you'll probably get to hear it at least twice more if others also continue to ignore the 15 starters (plus 2 kickers and head coach) that Richmond lost.

Should we post a poll for most overrated team in the AGS pre-season poll, my guess is UR wins, likely followed closely by ASU (who only lost 6 starters)?

I respect Richmond's program (you've been one of the top 3-4 teams the past three years), I'm just looking at where teams finished last year and what they are bringing back this year. If ASU lost what Richmond lost there is no way I'd have them ranked in the top 10.

MR. CHICKEN
June 1st, 2010, 03:06 PM
Here are the results from the 2010 AGS Pre-Season Poll:

Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25

(First place votes in parenthesis), Points
1. Villanova (81) 2344
2. Montana (7) 2106
3. Appalachian St. (2) 1965
4. William & Mary (3) 1909
5. Southern Illinois (1) 1825
6. New Hampshire 1644
7. Elon 1578
8. Richmond 1414
9. South Dakota St. 1359
10. South Carolina St. 1352
11. Stephen F. Austin 1218
12. Northern Iowa 1028
13. McNeese St. 1011
14. Eastern Washington 1002
15. Delaware 885
16. James Madison 871
17. Jacksonville St. 720
18. Weber St. 639
19. Liberty 582
20. Furman 491
21. Eastern Illinois 480
22. Montana St. 377
23. Cal Poly 319
24. Pennsylvania 277
25. Holy Cross 262

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Prairie View A&M (43), Texas St. (41), Northern Arizona (36), Massachusetts (31), Maine (30), Colgate (25), Wofford (22), Eastern Kentucky (20), Lafayette (19), UC Davis (17), Chattanooga (15), Illinois St. (15), Florida A&M (14), Georgia Southern (14), North Dakota St. (13), Central Arkansas (11), Youngstown St. (11), Harvard (10), Lehigh (10), Stony Brook (10), Southeastern Louisiana (9), Albany (8), Grambling St. (7), Dayton (5), Missouri St. (5)

UH.......W&L.......WHO CLIMBED DUH HIGHEST....xconfusedx....WHO DROPPED DUH FURTHEREST....xconfusedx....BRAWK!

TheValleyRaider
June 1st, 2010, 04:59 PM

I agree with you. While each PL contender has question marks, Colgate's are the least problematic. I certainly consider them, preseason, to be in the 20-25 range, with Lehigh, Holy Cross and Lafayette on the fringe.

Stop this! Colgate is not the preseason #1. Too much uncertainty on the lines. Pay no attention to the team behind the snowbank. These are not the droids you're looking for...

xwhistlex

Panther88
June 1st, 2010, 05:11 PM
If we get the AQ this year and finish undefeated in the MEAC, I don't see why we shouldn't host a game.......

Didn't you guys say that last year? Oh no, I'm sorry, maybe it was the year just prior. Right?

Definition of stupidity: Same repetitive action expecting differing results.

Good job JazzyBulldog05. xbowxxoopsxxconfusedxxlolx

Lulu
June 1st, 2010, 05:12 PM
UH.......W&L.......WHO CLIMBED DUH HIGHEST....xconfusedx....WHO DROPPED DUH FURTHEREST....xconfusedx....BRAWK!

BRAWK! BRAWK!

Who will climb the highest: Delaware
Who will drop the most: Richmond

danefan
June 1st, 2010, 05:39 PM
Pretty good poll for a preseason poll.

The only thing I think it messed up is Holy Cross in the poll at all. Colgate is the only PL team that deserves any pre-season consideration.

I would have put Maine in over both Colgate and HC though.

PaladinFan
June 1st, 2010, 05:57 PM
I think Furman is about right. Respectable being in the top 20, but still have need to prove themselves.

appfan2008
June 1st, 2010, 08:10 PM
honored to be as high as we are... i think we have the ability to be number one in the country or as low as barely hanging on the top 25! of course i had us higher than where we ended which i believe will be the case

Syntax Error
June 1st, 2010, 09:36 PM
BRAWK! BRAWK!

Who will climb the highest: Delaware
Who will drop the most: Richmond

2nd year in a row UD gets this distinction

Syntax Error
June 1st, 2010, 09:38 PM
There have only been two polls...You mean there are only two polls left to be published? AGS is the only poll out with TSN and FCP polls to come.

LakesBison
June 2nd, 2010, 12:46 AM
weak poll.

GoAgs72
June 2nd, 2010, 01:05 AM
UC Davis - conference champions - #35
Cal Poly - last place in conference - #23
Pre-season polls are based mainly upon performance last season - right!

401ks
June 2nd, 2010, 01:10 AM
weak poll.

That's what she said.

mikebigg
June 2nd, 2010, 03:28 AM

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx Good luck! xviolinx

MSUBear42
June 2nd, 2010, 05:33 AM
weak poll.

xlolx What? You couldn't recruit more that 13 Bizon fans to vote for themselves?

Gil Dobie
June 2nd, 2010, 06:38 AM
xlolx What? You couldn't recruit more that 13 Bizon fans to vote for themselves?

At least you have the pronounciation right, but it's spelled BISON.

Panther88
June 2nd, 2010, 07:06 AM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx Good luck! xviolinx

They're not very intelligent over there are they Biggs? xlolx

Maybe it's the saltwater from the atlantic causing brain damage. *shrugs shoulders* They remind me of this-> xbangx

UNIFanSince1983
June 2nd, 2010, 07:48 AM
I honestly can't believe anyone hasn't said anything about us being ranked too high. Personally I think we should be in the 15-20 range because of what we lost. I think it is a pretty good poll, but it is still another reason why ALL polls shouldn't start until like we 4 or so. I mean especially in FCS. Most teams play 1 or 2 FBS teams in the first couple so we really don't know much about them until week 4 or 5.

On a side note it looks like UNI has a pretty difficult schedule this year. Playing 3 teams currently in the top 11. Plus teams like Illinois State, NDSU, and MSU that aren't ranked but should be pretty good. It isn't like UNH's, but it is one of the tougher schedules we have faced recently.

danefan
June 2nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
That's what she said.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

If I could give you reps I would....but I don't have the feature.

UNH Fanboi
June 2nd, 2010, 08:57 AM
I think it is a pretty good poll, but it is still another reason why ALL polls shouldn't start until like we 4 or so. I mean especially in FCS. Most teams play 1 or 2 FBS teams in the first couple so we really don't know much about them until week 4 or 5.

I pretty much made the exact same point a couple of weeks ago. I was invited to participate in this poll, but abstained because I didn't feel qualified to make guesses based on extremely limited information. I think polls like this are fine though if no one takes them too seriously and everyone realizes that they are basically just jumping off points for discussing how teams from across the country stack up against each other.

I will be participating in the regular season poll, but I anticipate changing my picks a lot the first couple of weeks. I don't believe in locking teams into place and then only moving them down if they lose. If, for example, Villanova looks mediocre the first couple of weeks and another team looks great, I'll have no problem putting someone else in first, even if Nova is still undefeated.

JazzyBulldog05
June 2nd, 2010, 09:04 AM
Didn't you guys say that last year? Oh no, I'm sorry, maybe it was the year just prior. Right?

Definition of stupidity: Same repetitive action expecting differing results.

Good job JazzyBulldog05. xbowxxoopsxxconfusedxxlolx

Definiton of stupidity is you expecting any Bulldog on here to settle for anything less this year. Had we not gotten Appy St. I'm sure we would have hosted a game, but that's beside the point.

We'll see who has the last laugh when playoff time comes around and Dawson is hosting a game.......

Tribe4SF
June 2nd, 2010, 09:05 AM
On a side note it looks like UNI has a pretty difficult schedule this year. Playing 3 teams currently in the top 11. Plus teams like Illinois State, NDSU, and MSU that aren't ranked but should be pretty good. It isn't like UNH's, but it is one of the tougher schedules we have faced recently.

Speaking of tough schedules, the Tribe's has to be among the most difficult. Playing....

#1 Villanova
@#6 New Hampsire
#8 Richmond
#15 Delaware
@#16 JMU
@#29 UMass
@#30 Maine
@FBS North Carolina

The final five games after a bye week are...

Delaware
@ UNC
@ UNH
@ JMU
Richmond

UNH Fanboi
June 2nd, 2010, 09:11 AM
Speaking of tough schedules, the Tribe's has to be among the most difficult. Playing....

#1 Villanova
@#6 New Hampsire
#8 Richmond
#15 Delaware
@#16 JMU
@#29 UMass
@#30 Maine
@FBS North Carolina

Delaware
@ UNC
@ UNH
@ JMU
Richmond

That's definitely a tough schedule, but I think JMU wins the toughest schedule award. They don't play URI, and their OOC games are a little tougher with Liberty and Virginia Tech.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 2nd, 2010, 09:16 AM

I agree. Davis was in my preseason poll, but Poly was not. Davis also brings back an awful lot from last year.

Panther88
June 2nd, 2010, 09:28 AM
Definiton of stupidity is you expecting any Bulldog on here to settle for anything less this year. Had we not gotten Appy St. I'm sure we would have hosted a game, but that's beside the point.

We'll see who has the last laugh when playoff time comes around and Dawson is hosting a game.......

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

I thought you guys were hosting last year? Wait!!!!! Or was it the year before that???? Wait!!!!! Hampton won the conference the year prior and you guy were what... 9-2 and STILL didn't get an invite, eh? xlolxxlolxxlolx

What's "stupid" again? :pxbangxxlolx

ThompsonThe
June 2nd, 2010, 09:28 AM
I think Appalachian State should be number 1, but I am prejudiced.
Cannot understand how so many of the "move up" teams that their fans get on the FBS and BCS boards and taunt their teams are not listed higher.
For example, Texas State - San Marcos, is building a larger stadium but not listed in the top 25. Jacksonville State that has got several SEC transfers listed at #17. Looks like JMU with Mickey Matthews, and Liberty would be marked higher with their stadium expansions, and natural added ability to recruit better athletes. Liberty has had some of the worst luck getting into the playoffs, at least that should be solved this year.
SC State is a tough team with plenty of speed and athleticism. I hope they get at least a first round playoff game with the expanded playoff schedule. They could cause some real pain to whoever they play, or go a long way into playoffs.

darell1976
June 2nd, 2010, 10:17 AM
weak poll.

I agree they gave a team that went 3-8 votes..xlolxxlolxxlolx

darell1976
June 2nd, 2010, 10:18 AM

Since we played you guys for the conference title we should have gotten votes...right?? I mean we beat Poly but no votes..hmmm

LakesBison
June 2nd, 2010, 10:20 AM
darrel, why dont you goto siberia or something.

NDSU got votes because of their PROGRAM, something you don't have.

darell1976
June 2nd, 2010, 10:22 AM
darrel, why dont you goto siberia or something.

NDSU got votes because of their PROGRAM, something you don't have.

You got 13 votes...i guess that is how many games you will win since becoming playoff eligible including this year so i am guessing 4-7. Hey thats an improvement.xlolx

JazzyBulldog05
June 2nd, 2010, 10:25 AM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

I thought you guys were hosting last year? Wait!!!!! Or was it the year before that???? Wait!!!!! Hampton won the conference the year prior and you guy were what... 9-2 and STILL didn't get an invite, eh? xlolxxlolxxlolx

What's "stupid" again? :pxbangxxlolx

Wait, what are you guys playing for again??? the best in the SWAC???? xlolx

I'll stick by what I said.......If we win the MEAC undefeated, we'll host a game this year.......

GoAgs72
June 2nd, 2010, 10:31 AM
Darell1976 - actually I'm surprised about zero votes for Southern Utah, North Dakota and South Dakota. Any one of these teams could beat some of the teams in the #15-25 range in the poll. The biggest problem we have is beating each other up in the regular season and no automatic bid to the playoffs. Also, we need more voters in the poll!

darell1976
June 2nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
Darell1976 - actually I'm surprised about zero votes for Southern Utah, North Dakota and South Dakota. Any one of these teams could beat some of the teams in the #15-25 range in the poll. The biggest problem we have is beating each other up in the regular season and no automatic bid to the playoffs. Also, we need more voters in the poll!

I very much agree!!!!

WileECoyote06
June 2nd, 2010, 10:42 AM

That's across the board, besides Southern, MVSU, and CAA voters.

But alas, I think folks are voting based on potential to win, or who's a better team; not as a future prediction of success. Several of those teams didn't even make my ballot at all; because they aren't going to finish above .500.

darell1976
June 2nd, 2010, 10:44 AM
That's across the board, besides Southern, MVSU, and CAA voters.

But alas, I think folks are voting based on potential to win, or who's a better team; not as a future prediction of success. Several of those teams didn't even make my ballot at all; because they aren't going to finish above .500.

So they gave NDSU a team that won 3 games...votes but not UND who played for the GWFC title. Because they think NDSU is going to be great this year and UND is going to be at best 5-6?

mango43
June 2nd, 2010, 11:04 AM
So they gave NDSU a team that won 3 games...votes but not UND who played for the GWFC title. Because they think NDSU is going to be great this year and UND is going to be at best 5-6?

You probably didn't get votes because you lost to an NAIA team at home last year.

darell1976
June 2nd, 2010, 11:08 AM
You probably didn't get votes because you lost to an NAIA team at home last year.

Yeah they only won the NAIA. But whatever. Give votes to a team that 2 of their 3 wins were against 1-10 teams.

mango43
June 2nd, 2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah they only won the NAIA. But whatever. Give votes to a team that 2 of their 3 wins were against 1-10 teams.

Yes they won the NAIA but you are now DI, you should beat them especially at home.

And the game wasn't even that close from my understanding

bluehenbillk
June 2nd, 2010, 11:22 AM

#1 Villanova
@#6 New Hampsire
#8 Richmond
#15 Delaware
@#16 JMU
@#29 UMass
@#30 Maine
@FBS North Carolina

Delaware
@ UNC
@ UNH
@ JMU
Richmond

Exactly why I don't think either W&M or JMU will be very highly ranked come T-Giving with those slates. Be happy if you make the final 20 standing.

LakesBison
June 2nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
HA HA. NO ONE cares about GWFC, NDSU created that conference then left it.

you and aggie boy and etc can brag it up all you want.

Panther88
June 2nd, 2010, 11:35 AM
Wait, what are you guys playing for again??? the best in the SWAC???? xlolx

I'll stick by what I said.......If we win the MEAC undefeated, we'll host a game this year.......

Same song for 3 consecutive years. Good luck w/ that dude. xliarxxthumbsupx

LeadBolt
June 2nd, 2010, 12:56 PM
I honestly can't believe anyone hasn't said anything about us being ranked too high. Personally I think we should be in the 15-20 range because of what we lost. I think it is a pretty good poll, but it is still another reason why ALL polls shouldn't start until like we 4 or so. I mean especially in FCS. Most teams play 1 or 2 FBS teams in the first couple so we really don't know much about them until week 4 or 5.

I believe I would trade schedules with UNH xeyebrowx I know I would trades schedules with UNI xnodx

The poll pick for the Tribe is too high for its schedule xtwocentsx

Squealofthepig
June 2nd, 2010, 03:47 PM
During the season, you can vote in a poll in one of two ways. First, you can vote on how good you think a team is, regardless of their record; and second, you can vote based on the team's record, regardless of how good you think they are.

Both are frought with perils. For the first, if a team is, say, absolutely the fourth best, but they play the absolutely best #1, 2, and 3 teams, and lose, they could be 0-3 but still legitimately be the #4 team in the country. You could rank them at #4, but you'd get laughed at a bit, saying, dude, they're 0-3!

For the second, records always have to be considered in conjunction with the schedule played. Take a random 6-2 team and ask yourself, where would I rank them? Then say they're in the CAA, then say they're in the Big Sky, then say they're in the Pioneer or MEAC, and ask yourself how that might change.

For this poll, we're guessing about how good we think teams will be, and also projecting some of our hopes/fears too (for example, I had Maine in the 20-25 range - they'll be a young rebuilding team, and I'm pulling for my ursine brethren!) There are so many unanswered questions - but I know for one doing a lot of research on all these teams made me really anxious for the next three months to pass quickly!

bjtheflamesfan
June 2nd, 2010, 03:51 PM
I have nothing against UND or USD or UC davis. Now I dont know a ton about them (that is my own fault in full disclosure). UND's opening stretch isnt exactly overly conducive to making a run at the top 25 (two bowl eligible FBS schools from last year including an improving Idaho squad0, then a D2, and a frankly very bad Northwestern State team. 2-2 (unless a lot of teams get off to horrid starts) might not get you in on enough ballots to crack the rankings...especially if you get blown out in those first two. Now if you split those two games, beat the D2, and then NW St, youre 3-1...thatll probably get you some pretty good looks from the voters mostly because you have an FBS win.

darell1976
June 2nd, 2010, 05:19 PM
I have nothing against UND or USD or UC davis. Now I dont know a ton about them (that is my own fault in full disclosure). UND's opening stretch isnt exactly overly conducive to making a run at the top 25 (two bowl eligible FBS schools from last year including an improving Idaho squad0, then a D2, and a frankly very bad Northwestern State team. 2-2 (unless a lot of teams get off to horrid starts) might not get you in on enough ballots to crack the rankings...especially if you get blown out in those first two. Now if you split those two games, beat the D2, and then NW St, youre 3-1...thatll probably get you some pretty good looks from the voters mostly because you have an FBS win.

Thats a fair statement. I just don't understand where people's perspective is when it comes to pre-season is it either vote how they did last year or vote based on upcoming schedule and how the team will do this year. UND was average at best last year and i don't expect them in the polls until they win maybe 8 games. But when you have Davis, Poly, and NDSU in the polls that is where I question, "What are people thinking" (no sarcasm just a question) Davis won the GWFC over UND, Poly was 4-7, and NDSU was 3-8.

JBB
June 2nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
Yes they won the NAIA but you are now DI, you should beat them especially at home.

And the game wasn't even that close from my understanding

It wasnt close at all. It was a blow out actually, over at the half. None of their other games looked much better.

NDSU doesn't deserve any votes either but they are a great program historically and played strong in a real strong league. Teams that get votes should have had decent seasons last year and talent returning. Although NDSU has the talent returning the season last year was dismal as far as W/L goes. If you were a fan and looked closely you saw what I saw, but until there is some proof on the field NDSU should only get a homers/homer vote.

Otherwise I like the looks of the pre season poll. There are some very good teams in our division. Most of the top choices are obvious. The snipping starts when you get into the bottom 5 or 10 teams and feel slighted because your team didnt get a mention. If your team didnt get much attention they dont deserve it.

The GWFC isn't a hotbed of great football. Being in contention for that title doesn't really mean anything right now unless you are a braggart. When did the league last send a team to the playoffs?

On the other hand SUU may be coming into their own and ready to change that. They have been on a steady climb from the cellar for 3 years and may be putting their best team ever on the field this year. They are a great dark-horse candidate.

darell1976
June 2nd, 2010, 05:35 PM
It wasnt close at all. It was a blow out actually, over at the half. None of their other games looked much better.

NDSU doesn't deserve any votes either but they are a great program historically and played strong in a real strong league. Teams that get votes should have had decent seasons last year and talent returning. Although NDSU has the talent returning the season last year was dismal as far as W/L goes. If you were a fan and looked closely you saw what I saw, but until there is some proof on the field NDSU should only get a homers/homer vote.

Otherwise I like the looks of the pre season poll. There are some very good teams in our division. Most of the top choices are obvious. The snipping starts when you get into the bottom 5 or 10 teams and feel slighted because your team didnt get a mention. If your team didnt get much attention they dont deserve it.

The GWFC isn't a hotbed of great football. Being in contention for that title doesn't really mean anything right now unless you are a braggart. When did the league last send a team to the playoffs?

On the other hand SUU may be coming into their own and ready to change that. They have been on a steady climb from the cellar for 3 years and may be putting their best team ever on the field this year. They are a great dark-horse candidate.

I just want to know what goes into the voting, how they played last year or how they will play this year, or a little of both. Like i said in the last post I don't expect UND in there unless we win at least 8 games, but I didn't get how they lumped Poly, Davis, and NDSU in the polls.

JBB
June 2nd, 2010, 05:48 PM
NDSU got mentioned. NDSU was a #1 team 2 years ago. NDSU has one of the best recruiting classes in the FBS for a couple years running. NDSU plays in a strong auto bid conference and competes very well. When NDSU is in town its a big game. You could win the GWFC with 2 victories. Its not a big deal. NDSU has a tradition of great football. NDSU may not deserve votes but to grouse about it like you are doing is losing focus on your own team. UND struggled mightily last year (see the NAIA loss and near loss to southern oregon), has little incoming talent, lost a couple key players and has no individual players climbing in the NCAA stats. There is nothing there except hope. its been that way for several years. The record of your head coach doesn't instill much confidence either. If and when that translates into something on the field a few votes might be forthcoming, but until then let it rest or at least offer some facts that support your complaining. Putting down NDSU doesn't make Poly, UCD or UND any better.

darell1976
June 2nd, 2010, 05:52 PM
NDSU got mentioned. NDSU was a #1 team 2 years ago. NDSU has one of the best recruiting classes in the FBS for a couple years running. NDSU plays in a strong auto bid conference and competes very well. When NDSU is in town its a big game. You could win the GWFC with 2 victories. Its not a big deal. NDSU has a tradition of great football. NDSU may not deserve votes but to grouse about it like you are doing is losing focus on your own team. UND struggled mightily last year (see the NAIA loss and near loss to southern oregon), has little incoming talent, lost a couple key players and has no individual players climbing in the NCAA stats. There is nothing there except hope. its been that way for several years. The record of your head coach doesn't instill much confidence either. If and when that translates into something on the field a few votes might be forthcoming, but until then let it rest or at least offer some facts that support your complaining. Putting down NDSU doesn't make Poly, UCD or UND any better.

So they look at schedule, conference, history, etc. Okay. Thats what i wanted to know JBB, and I thank you for that. You are right UND doesn't deserve a poll vote, and would have been shocked to see one on the way they played last year. Yes the loss to Sioux Falls was bad but us Sioux fans didn't know what UND team would show and they were so inconsistant in their playing not to mention their coach is no Dale Lennon. Good luck this season.:)

Squealofthepig
June 2nd, 2010, 08:40 PM
Just as one voter, what I looked at:

1) How they finished last season.
2) Total wins
3) Conference
4) Graduating seniors/mix of underclassmen/strength of recruits
5) Intangibles - losing folks to drafts (e.g., Szczar possibly), coaching changes (Montana), new arrivals (Georgia State)

That's me as a voter. As a Montana fan, I'm always one who wants to see Montana ranked lower, not higher, as the Griz always play with a chip on their shoulder when they feel they're being undervalued, but that's a unique situation; I understand most fans want to see their teams get some recognition, especially when there's a lot of reason to be excited for next year.

For me specifically - I can't speak for any other voters - I had North Dakota a few spots out of the top 25 (I looked at all teams who had a .500 or better record). The Fighting Sioux had a good team last year, but they had 21 seniors; had a huge freshman class; had a few blowout losses on the road (albeit to good teams), and a close game at home to Southern Oregon. But, going into next year, they could definitely impress coming out the gates, and I'll cheer for them (as I will every FCS team taking on an FBS team).

ming01
June 2nd, 2010, 08:42 PM
Will SDSU still be a top 25 team after they finish 5-6 with their brutal schedule?

bkrownd
June 2nd, 2010, 09:17 PM
It would be interesting to see who can predict the worst-placed team in this "poll". ;) Of course somebody in the top 12 will drop out entirely by the end of the regular season and screw it up.

UNIFanSince1983
June 2nd, 2010, 10:24 PM
I believe I would trade schedules with UNH xeyebrowx I know I would trades schedules with UNI xnodx

The poll pick for the Tribe is too high for its schedule xtwocentsx

Oh yeah I really should have just said it isn't as tough as any team in the CAA as they all have brutal ones with their in conference. I simply said we had one of our tougher schedules in a while which is bad since we lost so much. It could be a perfect storm of only our second losing season in quite a while.

UNIFanSince1983
June 2nd, 2010, 10:33 PM

Um they sent a team to the playoffs in 2008.

And NDSU being a great program historically? With what your 7 years worth of DI football? I mean yes in DII you guys were great historically, but it has yet to be determined in DI. That being said I think you guys will be tough this year and may not deserve votes now, but might end the year in the polls.

LakesBison
June 3rd, 2010, 12:32 AM
bad memories huh UNIFAN? ndsu 10-1 and #1 for 2 years in a row, beat 3.. count'em 3 FBS teams in 2 years , what FCS team has done that? losing by 1 to wyoming and minnesota in the other 2, and 10 points at iowa state. NDSU easily could be 5-1 vs FBS teams and the PROGRAM has lost 13 games by 7 points or less the past 2 years. We'll be back. NOW

Houndawg
June 3rd, 2010, 01:50 AM

You gotta be joking. Two years ago NDSU was 3-8.

Last year you had a great offensive line and nothing else.

Back in the day you dominated a weak league but you've been a bottom-tier team since you joined the MVC. Bottom line is you just ain't that good.

Houndawg
June 3rd, 2010, 01:55 AM
bad memories huh UNIFAN? ndsu 10-1 and #1 for 2 years in a row, beat 3.. count'em 3 FBS teams in 2 years , what FCS team has done that? losing by 1 to wyoming and minnesota in the other 2, and 10 points at iowa state. NDSU easily could be 5-1 vs FBS teams and the PROGRAM has lost 13 games by 7 points or less the past 2 years. We'll be back. NOW

Shoulda, woulda, coulda..........you should have that translated into Latin and make it your school motto......xnodx

Gil Dobie
June 3rd, 2010, 07:02 AM
Um they sent a team to the playoffs in 2008.

And NDSU being a great program historically? With what your 7 years worth of DI football? I mean yes in DII you guys were great historically, but it has yet to be determined in DI. That being said I think you guys will be tough this year and may not deserve votes now, but might end the year in the polls.

NDSU was a good program prior to I-AA and DII in the College Division where they won 3 Championships. Beat Montana in back to back bowl games. College Division included most of the Non-BCS FBS schools at that time too. Still I don't believe NDSU warrented any votes this year due to record the last couple years.

Gil Dobie
June 3rd, 2010, 07:07 AM
Shoulda, woulda, coulda..........you should have that translated into Latin and make it your school motto......xnodx

It's a great feeling watching your FCS school dismantle a Big Ten school in front of over 60,000 fans. :D

AppAlum2003
June 3rd, 2010, 07:25 AM

Congratulations... how many national championships total was that during that stretch? I am REALLY bad at math. :D

UNIFanSince1983
June 3rd, 2010, 07:36 AM

Well I really don't want to get into this. I just had a problem with the word historically which to me goes further back than 2007 which is the year you are talking about being 10-1. As Gil has already corrected me on since you won championships before DII. I still think it is hard to say historically because you have only been DI for a few years.

And if we are going on shoulda, woulda, couldas, we should have beaten the Orange Bowl champions last year, how many FCS schools could say that? Well we DIDN'T. And for the record good teams win those close games so don't give me the losing 13 games by 7 points the last two seasons. That means nothing!

I digress as I really don't want to take this thread further off track. If we want to discuss this more we should just start a new thread.

BigApp
June 3rd, 2010, 07:51 AM
Yeah they only won the NAIA. But whatever.

Home Run!!! xbowx

WOW!!!! Can't believe anyone in D1 can defend a home blowout loss to a school THREE divisions below them. It's bad enough you're even playing them (see San Diego)

LakesBison
June 3rd, 2010, 11:11 AM
BigAPP. ignore him, then you'd never have to hear about that school.

why didnt APP ST come play at NDSU couple years ago, they declined.

bigCasu
June 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM
BigAPP. ignore him, then you'd never have to hear about that school.

why didnt APP ST come play at NDSU couple years ago, they declined.

You have to earn your respect. You guys wanted us to go north first, and you were too stubborn to come to Boone first, which is what should have happened.

aggiemba
June 3rd, 2010, 11:45 AM
HA HA. NO ONE cares about GWFC, NDSU created that conference then left it.

you and aggie boy and etc can brag it up all you want.

Don't worry, we'll get a shot at you guys one of these days and promptly take your down.

Go...gate
June 3rd, 2010, 05:07 PM
Stop this! Colgate is not the preseason #1. Too much uncertainty on the lines. Pay no attention to the team behind the snowbank. These are not the droids you're looking for...

xwhistlex

xnodx xviolinx :)

Houndawg
June 3rd, 2010, 05:21 PM
It's a great feeling watching your FCS school dismantle a Big Ten school in front of over 60,000 fans. :D

We know the feeling.xnodx

bkrownd
June 4th, 2010, 03:38 PM
WOW!!!! Can't believe anyone in D1 can defend a home blowout loss to a school THREE divisions below them.

"3 divisions" is an exaggeration - there isn't that much difference between the best programs outside of division 1 - i.e. D2, D3, NAIA, etc. Some programs are good and some are full of waterboys, but the best programs in those divisions are basically on par with each other.

darell1976
June 4th, 2010, 03:48 PM
You have to earn your respect. You guys wanted us to go north first, and you were too stubborn to come to Boone first, which is what should have happened.

See NDSU were the kings of D2(like 1990 and earlier) now in 2 full years of the FCS(playoff eligible) they think their top dogs. We lost a game to Sioux Falls (NAIA) and I admit it was a bad loss but our team were not a good team we were so inconsistant that anybody could have beat us. We lost to Sioux Falls but beat Cal Poly. Go figure. I hope by the time our transition period ends we end up like SDSU..in the playoffs and not like NDSU at the bottom of the conference.

Squealofthepig
June 4th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I hope by the time our transition period ends we end up like SDSU..in the playoffs and not like NDSU at the bottom of the conference.

Should also hope for the Jackrabbits surge in fan base - averaged close to 3000 more people last year than in '08, so lots of good things going on there.

bjtheflamesfan
June 5th, 2010, 12:46 AM
"3 divisions" is an exaggeration - there isn't that much difference between the best programs outside of division 1 - i.e. D2, D3, NAIA, etc. Some programs are good and some are full of waterboys, but the best programs in those divisions are basically on par with each other.

The man's right...youve got a team like Mt Union in D3 who probably could hang with some pretty good D2 programs and Im sure that somebody like Sioux Falls could run with some pretty good D3 schools (maybe not the upper echelon schools like UWW and Mt Union but they could hang with a D3 schools, and maybe some lower tier D1-AA schools

ming01
June 7th, 2010, 12:16 PM
NDSU was a good program prior to I-AA and DII in the College Division where they won 3 Championships. Beat Montana in back to back bowl games. College Division included most of the Non-BCS FBS schools at that time too. Still I don't believe NDSU warrented any votes this year due to record the last couple years.

8 championships :)

Squealofthepig
June 7th, 2010, 05:25 PM
8 championships :)

By that logic, we should be voting for Marshall too, then. xchinscratchx

NDSU didn't make my shortlist, I'll be honest (and I went down to about fifty teams, though beyond 20 it becomes anyone's guess). Using last year's team as a start, even with only a handful of graduations I couldn't say with any confidence that the Bison will be a major threat to the Valley. Last year, NDSU posted a 3-8 record; a 2-6 conference record; and had home conference losses to Illinois State (by 3), Northern Iowa (by 15), Missouri State (by 4) and to Youngstown State (by 4). I'm not at all sure who their new quarterback will be, but the Bison had a HUGE freshman class and should be reloading, and hopefully this year will be a good one for the team and their fiathful fans. But there's work to do!

MasonJar
June 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM

#1 Villanova
@#6 New Hampsire
#8 Richmond
#15 Delaware
@#16 JMU
@#29 UMass
@#30 Maine
@FBS North Carolina

Delaware
@ UNC
@ UNH
@ JMU
Richmond

That's definitely a tough schedule, but I think JMU wins the toughest schedule award. They don't play URI, and their OOC games are a little tougher with Liberty and Virginia Tech.

You would be correct, but the Tarheels water down your competition... xthumbsupx

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2010, 07:00 AM
Here are the results from the 2010 AGS Pre-Season Poll:

Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25

(First place votes in parenthesis), Points
1. Villanova (81) 2344
2. Montana (7) 2106
3. Appalachian St. (2) 1965
4. William & Mary (3) 1909
5. Southern Illinois (1) 1825
6. New Hampshire 1644
7. Elon 1578
8. Richmond 1414
9. South Dakota St. 1359
10. South Carolina St. 1352
11. Stephen F. Austin 1218
12. Northern Iowa 1028
13. McNeese St. 1011
14. Eastern Washington 1002
15. Delaware 885
16. James Madison 871
17. Jacksonville St. 720
18. Weber St. 639
19. Liberty 582
20. Furman 491
21. Eastern Illinois 480
22. Montana St. 377
23. Cal Poly 319
24. Pennsylvania 277
25. Holy Cross 262

AGS got 11 out of the 20 playoff teams in the preseason poll, and another 4 in the receiving votes catagory. Missed totally on WIU, Robert Morris, CCU, BCU & SEMO.

OhioHen
December 2nd, 2010, 09:00 AM
AGS got 11 out of the 20 playoff teams in the preseason poll, and another 4 in the receiving votes catagory. Missed totally on WIU, Robert Morris, CCU, BCU & SEMO.

Robert Morris and Coastal Carolina getting no votes in the pre-season poll isn't "missed totally" by any stretch. Winning an autobid doesn't mean Coastal Carolina is one of the top 20 teams at the end of the season, just that they won the conference.

RabidRabbit
December 2nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
Assuming that the NEC, Big South, Patriot and MEAC may not have top 25 teams is not unreasonable. To the extent that the top 25 picks should include the at-larges, the AGS pre-season had 9 of the 10 at-large participants. Missed only WIU, the MVFC cellar-dweller of 2009. Heck of a turnaround for WIU to make the play-offs this year!

heath
December 2nd, 2010, 07:32 PM
Your #2,along with 5 of the top 10 DON'T make it? Have a bunch of experts voting I see

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2010, 07:42 PM
Your #2,along with 5 of the top 10 DON'T make it? Have a bunch of experts voting I see

We'll have to check the other polls to see how good they did, usually AGS has the best results at year-end.

DetroitFlyer
December 2nd, 2010, 07:46 PM
Yeah, NO ONE here voted a PFL team into the top 25, let alone two. AGS is absolutely one of the worst polls on the planet. There simply is no poll that is more biased. (Maybe that other board comes close).

cowboy91
December 2nd, 2010, 07:55 PM
Yeah, NO ONE here voted a PFL team into the top 25, let alone two. AGS is absolutely one of the worst polls on the planet. There simply is no poll that is more biased. (Maybe that other board comes close).

And why would they?

GreatAppSt
December 2nd, 2010, 07:59 PM
Yeah, NO ONE here voted a PFL team into the top 25, let alone two. AGS is absolutely one of the worst polls on the planet.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

5 years on AGS and once more proving that Ignorance is bliss.xreadx

superman7515
December 2nd, 2010, 08:36 PM
We'll have to check the other polls to see how good they did, usually AGS has the best results at year-end.

Actually, AGS is usually has one of the worst predictors at year-end. The GPI has never finished out of first place.

1. GPI
2. Laz Index
3. Massey MOV
4. Sagarin
5. Sauceda
6. Ashburn
7. Rudacille
8. Claassen
9. Dokter
10. Dolphin
11. Self
12. Sport Theory
13. Random Walker FL
14. Keeper
15. Pugh
16. Ashburn BCSC
17. Rothman
18. Bassett
19. Massey BCS
20. Catherwood
21. Sagarin-Elo
22. Wilson
23. Dolphin Pred
24. Sagarin Predictor
25. Dunkel
26. O'Malley
27. Reid
28. Wolfe
29. Round Robin Win%
30. Markov
31. Daniel Curry Index
32. Born
33. Daniel Curry 2
34. Bassett-Stephenson
35. Sports Network
36. Any Given Saturday
37. CSL
38. FCS Coaches Poll
39. WASEAN
40. Real Time RPI
41. The Rank
42. Nolan

GreatAppSt
December 2nd, 2010, 08:45 PM
Actually, AGS is usually has one of the worst predictors at year-end. The GPI has never finished out of first place.

GPI
Sagarin
Massey etc etc etc are not polls, apples to oranges.

superman7515
December 2nd, 2010, 09:34 PM
Well then I guess AGS is one of the best every year and worst every year since there are basically three for this level, haha.

Gil Dobie
December 3rd, 2010, 07:24 AM
Well then I guess AGS is one of the best every year and worst every year since there are basically three for this level, haha.

Well then I guess it's our choice to be positive or negative. ;)

GeauxLions94
December 3rd, 2010, 11:39 PM
SLC thoughts...

Southeastern Louisiana is grossly snakebit as a team ... they'll lose their FBS games by a combined seven points, lose back-to-back games (including ULM and yes, Lamar) by one point, lose a game on a long field goal on the final play, fall short in games at Central Arkansas and a two-point loss at Nicholls and get blown out by Sam Houston (yes, I'm calling it) and SFA ... but they'll get a win over UT-Martin and a psuedo FBS win over Texas State

There TT, fixed it for you