PDA

View Full Version : When Moratorium Lifted - Transition Process

TexasTerror
May 31st, 2010, 08:07 AM
I had some questions that I figured some of you may be able to provide some further insight into...

1) When the moratorium is lifted in the summer of 2011, how quickly can/will schools notify the NCAA of their intentions to go FBS (if they have a conference membership in place)?

2) Do you feel (in the case that they do not have a conference) that UTSA can successfully petition the NCAA for a waiver into FBS? UTSA claims they are far along in the process (look at their schedule) and should be granted one, should it need one.

3) What is the most likely time frame for a school that plans to make the move to FBS to become a full FBS member?

Some of these questions come from some issues, discussions in the SLC with TXST and UTSA. I just do not see how a school could begin the transition in the summer of 2011. They can notify the NCAA then, but could they really jettison their conference that late in the game? Would think they'd have to stay put through the 2011-12 year, though a league could decide to make them ineligible for postseason championships.

Any other questions I missing?

JSU02
May 31st, 2010, 09:11 AM
My understanding is that an established program like TxST or Jax St would be able to do it in 2 years. So if you had all your ducks in a row on the day the moratorium was lifted you would be full FBS for the 2013 season. During the required 2 year transition period to FBS, you would serve out your 2 year notice to your FCS conference. Of course, you could buy out of your FCS conference early if you wanted to, but it would still be 2 years until you were full FBS.

Jackman
May 31st, 2010, 10:05 AM
My understanding is that an established program like TxST or Jax St would be able to do it in 2 years. So if you had all your ducks in a row on the day the moratorium was lifted you would be full FBS for the 2013 season.

It would be 2014 because the timing of the lifting of the moratorium in 2011 is after the deadline a re-classification request has to be submitted for 2011.

I think the exact months are August for the moratorium and June for the submission deadline. It's something close like that.

TexasTerror
May 31st, 2010, 10:36 AM
It would be 2014 because the timing of the lifting of the moratorium in 2011 is after the deadline a re-classification request has to be submitted for 2011.

I think the exact months are August for the moratorium and June for the submission deadline. It's something close like that.

That's what I was thinking as well...

The NCAA did not even announce the moratorium until Aug 2007...after further review, you are correct.

Q. What is the scheduled duration of the moratorium?

A. The moratorium is imposed for a four-year period and is scheduled to expire August 9, 2011, prior to the beginning of the 2011-2012 academic year.

http://www.ncaa.biz/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/About%20The%20NCAA/Membership/Membership%20Requirements%20and%20Waivers/Division%20I/DIMoratoriumFAQ

JSU02
May 31st, 2010, 02:07 PM
Q. Is it permissible for an institution to begin the exploratory membership process during the moratorium?
A. No. Institutions may not begin the exploratory year of the provisional or reclassification process during the moratorium. Institutions may start an exploratory year beginning with the 2011-2012 academic year. Petitions to begin the exploratory year during the 2011-12 academic year should be received in the NCAA national office not later than June 1, 2011.

The way I read that was that is you wanted to start your exploratory year in August 2011, you could as long as your paper work was in by June 2011, even though the moratorium doesn't end until August. I was under the impression that the 1st year of the 2 year transition was called the "exploratory year".

Jackman
May 31st, 2010, 05:25 PM
I think they might be talking about Division II to Division I moves in that section, since they immediately follow it with a section on FCS to FBS reclassification being forbidden. But it certainly isn't clear and I'm open to your interpretation being correct. I think the problem is they wrote the ban on FCS to FBS moves separately in a second proposal, and the language is much simpler than the Division II to Division I block, so you can't even begin the process until the moratorium expires. Anybody motivated to track down the actual language of Proposal No. 2007-116? I gave it a couple googles but wasn't getting the right hits.

JSU02
May 31st, 2010, 05:37 PM
I think they might be talking about Division II to Division I moves in that section, since they immediately follow it with a section on FCS to FBS reclassification being forbidden. But it certainly isn't clear and I'm open to your interpretation being correct. I think the problem is they wrote the ban on FCS to FBS moves separately in a second proposal, and the language is much simpler than the Division II to Division I block, so you can't even begin the process until the moratorium expires. Anybody motivated to track down the actual language of Proposal No. 2007-116? I gave it a couple googles but wasn't getting the right hits.

You may be right, the wording certainly isn't crystal clear.

I do know that we are scheduling our historical arch rival Troy for 2014, and I think we would want to get them on ASAP, so 2014 might be ASAP.

jmu_duke07
May 31st, 2010, 06:46 PM
My understanding is that an established program like TxST or Jax St would be able to do it in 2 years. So if you had all your ducks in a row on the day the moratorium was lifted you would be full FBS for the 2013 season. During the required 2 year transition period to FBS, you would serve out your 2 year notice to your FCS conference. Of course, you could buy out of your FCS conference early if you wanted to, but it would still be 2 years until you were full FBS.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but, how established is txst and jaxst? I really don't hear much about them during the on and off season.

UAalum72
May 31st, 2010, 07:03 PM
Anybody motivated to track down the actual language of Proposal No. 2007-116? I gave it a couple googles but wasn't getting the right hits.
2007-116
NCAA MEMBERSHIP -- DIVISION I MEMBERSHIP -- MORATORIUM -- FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP SUBDIVISION CLASSIFICATION
Status: Adopted - Final Process Diagram (http://javascript<b></b>:poptastic('/LSDBi/pdf/propSearch?propSearchSubmit=Display%20Status&state=99&submitYear=2007'))

Intent: To specify that for a four year period beginning August 9, 2007, no institution shall be permitted to seek classification or reclassification in the football championship subdivision.

Constitution: Amend 3.1, as follows:

3.1. ELIGIBILITY FOR MEMBERSHIP

3.1.1 General. Membership is available to colleges, universities, athletics conferences or associations and other groups that are related to intercollegiate athletics; that have acceptable academic standards (as defined in Constitution 3.2.3.2), and that are located in the United States, its territories or possessions. Such institutions or organizations must accept and observe the principles set forth in the constitution and bylaws of the Association. For a four-year period beginning August 9, 2007, no institution may begin the Division I provisional or reclassification membership process (including the exploratory process), no institution may begin the multidivisional membership reclassification process, no institution shall be permitted to seek classification or reclassification in the football championship subdivision and no new single sport or multisport conference shall be elected to Division I conference membership.
[Remainder of 3.1 unchanged.]
Source: NCAA Division I Board of Directors

Effective Date: Immediate

Proposal Category: Amendment

Topical Area: NCAA Membership

Rationale: During its August 9, 2007, meeting, the NCAA Division I Board of Directors adopted NCAA Proposal No. 2007-10, which established a four-year moratorium that precludes an institution from beginning any Division I membership process and precludes election of a conference to Division I membership. Under current membership rules, movement from NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) status to Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) status is considered multidivisional reclassification. Therefore, such movement is precluded during the moratorium. However, institutions that do not sponsor football and wish to add the sport are not required to use the multidivisional reclassification process or any other legislative transitional process. The rationale set forth in Proposal No. 2007-10 is equally applicable to new classifications to FCS status. A similar moratorium on new classifications to FCS status is both prudent and reasonable. It will allow an appropriate time period to analyze the impact of the continued growth in Division I and the subdivision. It will allow the subdivision to develop reasonable philosophical expectations and legislative requirements for all institutions desiring to transition to FCS. In addition, an Executive Committee Working Group is currently reviewing Association-wide membership issues, particularly those impacting Divisions II and III, and recommendations are likely to be developed in the near future. It is difficult to project the implications of such recommendations on the FCS membership. Further, Division I is undertaking a potential change in its governance structure. With that in mind, it will likely take some time to establish a framework to address membership issues, analyze current philosophies, expectations and requirements and introduce and begin to implement proposed changes.

Estimated Budget Impact: None.

Impact on Student-Athlete's Time: None.

History Oct 21, 2007: Submit; Submitted for consideration.Nov 01, 2007: Board Consideration, AdoptedNov 02, 2007: Adopted, Override Period; Start of Override PeriodDec 31, 2007: Adopted, Override Period; End of Override Period; (Number of Override Requests = 2)Dec 31, 2007: Adopted; Adopted - Final

Also as related above, 2007-10

2007-10
NCAA MEMBERSHIP -- DIVISION I MEMBERSHIP -- MORATORIUM
Status: Adopted - Final Process Diagram (http://javascript<b></b>:poptastic('/LSDBi/pdf/propSearch?propSearchSubmit=Display%20Status&state=99&submitYear=2007'))

Intent: To specify that a four-year period beginning August 9, 2007, no institution may begin the Division I provisional or reclassification member process (including the exploratory process), no institution may begin the multidivisional membership reclassification and no new single-sport or multisport conference shall be elected to Division I conference membership.

A. Constitution: Amend 3.1, as follows:

3.1 ELIGIBILITY FOR MEMBERSHIP.

3.1.1 General. Membership is available to colleges, universities, athletics conferences or associations and other groups that are related to intercollegiate athletics; that have acceptable academic standards (as defined in Constitution 3.2.3.2), and that are located in the United States, its territories or possessions. Such institutions or organizations must accept and observe the principles set forth in the constitution and bylaws of the Association. For a four-year period beginning August 9, 2007, no institution may begin the Division I provisional or reclassification membership process (including the exploratory process), no institution may begin the multidivisional membership reclassification process and no new single-sport or multisport conference shall be elected to Division I conference membership.

JSU02
May 31st, 2010, 07:29 PM
I'm not trying to pick a fight, but, how established is txst and jaxst? I really don't hear much about them during the on and off season.

They are established in that they have both been playing football since 1904, and have both been playing FCS/I-AA football for many years, as opposed to UTSA who has yet to field a team.

centexguy
May 31st, 2010, 08:02 PM
I wonder if UTSA is bypassing the SLC because they found a loophole. Schools like Lamar and UTSA were able to start their football program due to this wording:

However, institutions that do not sponsor football and wish to add the sport are not required to use the multidivisional reclassification process or any other legislative transitional process.

I wonder if Lynn Hickey at UTSA thinks they can fast track to the FBS level since they won't be joining the SLC. A school does have to start out at the FCS level, but maybe since that's only a temporary step in the process of going FBS, UTSA thinks the NCAA will allow them proceed up to the FBS level.

From everything I've read, Lynn Hickey is no dummy and is well connected, so there must be a method to their madness.

TexasTerror
May 31st, 2010, 08:06 PM
I wonder if Lynn Hickey at UTSA thinks they can fast track to the FBS level since they won't be joining the SLC. A school does have to start out at the FCS level, but maybe since that's only a temporary step in the process of going FBS, UTSA thinks the NCAA will allow them proceed up to the FBS level.

UTSA is doing everything possible (and very much publicly) to prove that they have the pieces in place to move to FBS. It's no surprise that they are tackling things the way they are and if anything, it will definitely help their chances of getting into a conference. I mean, which mid-major league has the kind of home-and-home agreements that UTSA does?

From everything I've read, Lynn Hickey is no dummy and is well connected, so there must be a method to their madness.

Easily agreed... xnodx