PDA

View Full Version : May SoCon Meetings?

DCboyWCU
May 5th, 2005, 08:16 AM
When do they start, or have they already? What's going to be some of the topics? If you know anything, I'd like to hear it.

DCboy@WCU

SoCon48
May 5th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Agenda:
8:00 Coffee and donuts
8:30 a.m. Round of golf
11:30 Social hour
12:30 Lunch
1:30 Round of golf
5:30 Beer and BBQ

2nd Day
Same as the first

3rd day
Examine golf courses near Coastal Carolina University

Vote in CCCU..whoops...CCU

GSU Eagle
May 5th, 2005, 03:11 PM
I could be wrong but I believe the meetings are the last week of May.

Mr. C
May 5th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Agenda:

2nd Day
Same as the first

3rd day

More true than you might imagine.
:D :D :D

Lapper
May 5th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Agenda:

2nd Day
Same as the first

3rd day

Coastal **hickup** Carolina is AWSOME!!! LET'S VOTE NOW!

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/p/r/prf117/louie_louie.gif

Kill'em
May 8th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Sorry, I vote... NO.

SoCon48
May 9th, 2005, 09:51 PM
OK, then, Danny will just move on down his list to Samford, Hampton, Presby, etc.

OL FU
May 10th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Is expansion really on the "to do" list? I have heard the talk from fans like me. Also, I have heard that expansion maybe non-football which makes no sense to me.

rokamortis
May 10th, 2005, 09:41 AM
There is a lot of rumor out there ... I was hoping that people with some firm info would contribute.

There is a lot of speculation that they may talk about inviting CCU, but I think a lot of that is because we were so public in wanting to join. I have no idea if we are being seriously considered or not.

SpiritCymbal
May 10th, 2005, 09:49 AM
I was told that the conference has been trying to come up with a plan for men's basketball since the two sides will be unbalanced. Which tells me that a vote to include CCU or anyone else this year isn't to be expected.

Of course, I heard that from a friend, who knows a friend, who knows a friend that went to college with a guy who knows a guy who is the 2nd cousin of a guy that use to date a girl that use to babysit for a guy who knows a guy that helped change a tire for a guy that works for the SoCon. :D

OL FU
May 10th, 2005, 09:52 AM
I was told that the conference has been trying to come up with a plan for men's basketball since the two sides will be unbalanced. Which tells me that a vote to include CCU or anyone else this year isn't to be expected.

Of course, I heard that from a friend, who knows a friend, who knows a friend that went to college with a guy who knows a guy who is the 2nd cousin of a guy that use to date a girl that use to babysit for a guy who knows a guy that helped change a tire for a guy that works for the SoCon. :D

I think that makes you an expert.
and now that you mention it, sounds like a girl I used to date.

SoCon48
May 10th, 2005, 01:14 PM
DBoy himself has said publicly that the confence is in no hurry to add anyone. But, hey, maybe CCU is to good to pass up. :eek:

Lapper
May 12th, 2005, 11:34 AM
The Gadfly just called me and told me that he spoke with the second in command at CCU who said that this month's SoCon meeting is going to be about voting on whether to make an official visit to Conway. I don't quite know what this means; c an someone clear the clouds for me? :confused:

OL FU
May 12th, 2005, 12:10 PM
The Gadfly just called me and told me that he spoke with the second in command at CCU who said that this month's SoCon meeting is going to be about voting on whether to make an official visit to Conway. I don't quite know what this means; c an someone clear the clouds for me? :confused:

Sounds like more dinner, drinks and golf.

Lapper
May 12th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Sounds like more dinner, drinks and golf.

Talking about golf, Gadfly (aka JAWz) said that the president of CCU is signing papers today to buy/manage the golf course beside the campus. Maybe the SoCon guys will be hitting the links at our new "University Course @ Quail Creek."

OL FU
May 12th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Talking about golf, Gadfly (aka JAWz) said that the president of CCU is signing papers today to buy/manage the golf course beside the campus. Maybe the SoCon guys will be hitting the links at our new "University Course @ Quail Creek."

Well Golf Courses are certainly one thing the Mrytle Beach Area has no shortage in.

You know I am guessing but re: official visit. If there really is such a thing as official visit and an official visit is actually going to take place, and it is more than golf, then I would say it sounds like strong consideration is being given to CCU. But what do I know?

rokamortis
May 12th, 2005, 04:22 PM
I guess that's the question. What is the typical course of action for a school to be considered for entry into the SoCon? Is there an official visit(s) and then a vote?

GSU Eagle
May 12th, 2005, 09:23 PM
When Ga. Southern was added to the SoCon there was an official visit before the "official" invitation was offered. If it is to the point of a visit then it is clear to me that Coastal is being seriously considered.

OL FU
May 13th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Everything I hear is probably worse than third hand but why should that stop me as long as I disclose it. There is no doubt the SoCon has to expand. We only have 11 BBall schools and with two divisions the odd number does not work. I have heard the first look is at a non-football school and the name that comes up most often is UNC-Wilmington. My preference would be to add a football school which gets football to 9 and basketball with 12. Who knows maybe both rumors are correct and they are going to add three schools ncreasing football to 9 and basketball to 14.

We shall see.

DCboyWCU
May 13th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Wow, that would be nice!!! I'd have to say add wilmington for basketball, and they would also help in baseball, I think. Then pick up JSU and CCU for football. That would put us at 14 b-ball schools, and 10 football schools. That would be great!!!

DCboy@WCU

OL FU
May 13th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Wow, that would be nice!!! I'd have to say add wilmington for basketball, and they would also help in baseball, I think. Then pick up JSU and CCU for football. That would put us at 14 b-ball schools, and 10 football schools. That would be great!!!

DCboy@WCU

In some ways it would be great. In other ways not so great. I don't think we would be able to add only one Alabama school. I think it would have to be two. Don't know if they are interested but my guess is that JSU would be more interested if Samford joined with them. Also, I don't like 10 football teams. 8 or 9 allows you to play every team every year. A-10 guys may feel differently but I would not like skipping two or three teams a year from the conference. On the other hand, if you are going to have 10, you might as well have 12.

SoCon48
May 13th, 2005, 08:48 AM
14 and 10. Then we'd have more of that stupid "division" crap where everbody doesn't get to play everybody or only once a year in BB and there'd be those years where everyone finishes in a tie for first or second place.
Not thanks.

Who the hell wants Samford, anyway?

OL FU
May 13th, 2005, 09:38 AM
14 and 10. Then we'd have more of that stupid "division" crap where everbody doesn't get to play everybody or only once a year in BB and there'd be those years where everyone finishes in a tie for first or second place.
Not thanks.

Who the hell wants Samford, anyway?

I don't mind the division crap in Bball, we have the tourney. But I agree I don't want it in football.

rokamortis
May 13th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Even at 10 teams, you don't need to split into two divisions do you? 9 Conf and 2 OOC games should be doable, right?

chattanoogamocs
May 13th, 2005, 11:21 AM
I have good contacts in our AD and in the SoCon office...there are some things that I could say, some things I can't (lest I would never be trusted with info again). And I hate preficing it like that because I know how many people like to claim they "know somebody". Most that know me well from the Mocfans board know that with my press access I get a lot of good info (and I wouldn't re-state anything as fact if it is only rumor)

From everything I have heard, they really aren't in any big rush, I was told at the basketball tournament that it could legitamately be "a couple of years" (right now there really is no consensus) before anything happens and that many officials want to take a wait and see approach (I think some of this might be aimed at CCU...they want to see if all the "big plans" the school have really pan out...football success, new basketball stadium, etc)

Coastal is obviously being seriously considered because they have made such a push for inclusion (as far as sending a video presentation to each SoCon AD)...since they are the only one's really openly (publicly) asking for admission, they are obviously going to get a long look.

I have also heard the 3 more schools (2 basketball, 1 football) scenario. The first time I mentioned it to someone at SoCon HQ last fall, they kinda scoffed...when I mentioned it again months later...I got more of an eyebrows raised/shoulder shrug...which in my mind says it is at least being considered.

VMI returning has been mentioned also. I talked with a professor (I have since forgotten his name) who is their NCAA/Conference rep who said that a lot of alums...and school officials now realize that moving out of the SoCon (and away from the Citadel) was a mistake. My big thing is whether or not I would want them back...I repsect their tradition, yada, yada, but this is an opportunity to try to advance the conference and I can think of about 300 schools that can do the job better than VMI :doh: (sad, but hard, truth).

So, take it all fr what its worth...in reality only the SoCon staff and university committee members know what is really going on. My personal favorite is the 3 school addition idea...it strengthens football and basketball.

OL FU
May 13th, 2005, 12:01 PM
chattanoogamocs,

Thanks much. Very good update. I lot of that makes sense. I hated to see VMI leave, but now that they are gone I would hate to see them back for the same reasons you mentioned.

rokamortis
Even at 10 teams, you don't need to split into two divisions do you? 9 Conf and 2 OOC games should be doable, right?

Not in my opinion. Two OOC games is too limiting. Three seems to work the best. One DII, one I-AA and one I-A. At least they was generally FU's schedule.

SoCon48
May 13th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Neither do I, but we do it in basketball for no legitimate reason except to make sure we have room on a 28-30 game schedule for patsies like Erskine, Milligan, UpChuck, etc. and a couple money/name brand games.

Saint3333
May 13th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Why not add one football school and two non-football schools? Then we have 14 bball schools and it won't be so hard to fill out a 100% of the schedule with D1 teams and football schools will get 3 OOC games (one 1-A game and two 1-AA games). How about we take the best football school we can get and take UNCW and let ETSU back? Wow that wasn't so hard :eek:

SoCon48
May 13th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Good point. If another non-football school is admitted, then ETSU should be offered re-admission (and admission fee).

Eagle_77
May 13th, 2005, 04:14 PM
I also like the fact that you can play every team in your confernce in one year. In I-A I like the 12 team conf because they have a conf title game. With I-AA having the playoffs that is not possible so I prefer the 9-10 team conf so that you can have 2-3 out of conf games. I think with I-A changes its rules about counting I-AA games, a 9 team conf would be perfect. It leaves room for 2 OOC games and 1 I-A game.

FU97
May 13th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Good point. If another non-football school is admitted, then ETSU should be offered re-admission (and admission fee).

ETSU won't be back anytime soon. They didn't just burn bridges, they nuked them.

GSU Eagle
May 13th, 2005, 10:39 PM
I talked to someone who should know if an invitation was to be offered soon and all I could get out of him was #1) There is a good bit of disagreement among the 11 schools as to who to invite and whether there is any urgency at all #2) Don't expect any invitations until at least next year if then.

So I am left to conclude the SoCon will be at 11 definitely for 2005-06 and probably for 2006-07.

I am in favor of moving on with expansion and bringing in a new school, but apparently the powers in control can't agree on who to invite or whether it is advantageous to invite anyone.

SoCon48
May 14th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Nuked em, hell.
Just an excuse by Danny Boy as well as the teams that ETSU was shucking in basketball.
It was our loss. Samford is no replacement.
SoCon wants to add another no name to our roster, fine, it will keep with our recent tradition.

OL FU
May 16th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Nuked em, hell.
Just an excuse by Danny Boy as well as the teams that ETSU was shucking in basketball.
It was our loss. Samford is no replacement.
SoCon wants to add another no name to our roster, fine, it will keep with our recent tradition.

Who would you like to see join?

SoCon48
May 16th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Would have liked EKU.
Don't know if we need anyone else right now, but we ought to keep the doors cracked in case we lose someone else.
Wouldn't mind a basketball school (W for example) if we re-admitted ETSU. Otherwise we would look rather stupid and inconsistent. (Which we are at times).
There just aren't many candidates in our region who wouldn't be rehablitation cases (size, no-name, no fans, no competition).

OL FU
May 16th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Would have liked EKU.
Don't know if we need anyone else right now, but we ought to keep the doors cracked in case we lose someone else.
Wouldn't mind a basketball school (W for example) if we re-admitted ETSU. Otherwise we would look rather stupid and inconsistent. (Which we are at times).
There just aren't many candidates in our region who wouldn't be rehablitation cases (size, no-name, no fans, no competition).

W = Wilmington or Winthrop?

EKU would be good, but I do think the SoCon needs to keep Chatty in mind which is why the Alabama schools would work, but I think we would have to include two schools, which would mean JSU and the school you absolutely don't want.

appst89
May 17th, 2005, 08:04 AM

I don't think ETSU should be asked back. ETSU was not asked to leave because they dropped football, but rather because of the way they went about it. ETSU led the charge to deny VMI a waiver when they were looking at de-emphasizing their football program. Then, when ETSU decided to kill football, the rest of the SoCon heard about through the media rather than being informed directly by ETSU. They can use dropping football as their excuse for being asked to leave, but the truth is it was their less than straightforward approach that caused them to get the boot. If they had gone into the process honestly, they may have been able toget the waiver or they may not have, but their approach left the league only one choice. I miss having ETSU because they were a close rival, but they brought this entirely upon themselves.

SoCon48
May 17th, 2005, 08:59 AM
I've heard all that stuff, too. Many times. Still remains that the SoCon will look it's usual stupid, inconsistent self if a basketball school is admitted.
Same ol same ol.

ASU will miss one of it's very biggest gates. Wofford, Elon..then Samford and Hampton sure as hell won't help. In football, two of our best gates (and many more large ones not in the top 10)...were ETSU..including the 24K in '99.

I'm sure if we had to drop football, the first thing on our minds would be to warn the SoCon. Sure.

Just a crock.
Our loss.
Of course we might be able to up our academics by adding another small private, no-name, way the hell down in Alabama. Great for the non-rev travel budgets.

appst89
May 17th, 2005, 09:43 AM
I've heard all that stuff, too. Many times. Still remains that the SoCon will look it's usual stupid, inconsistent self if a basketball school is admitted.
Same ol same ol.

ASU will miss one of it's very biggest gates. Wofford, Elon..then Samford and Hampton sure as hell won't help. In football, two of our best gates (and many more large ones not in the top 10)...were ETSU..including the 24K in '99.

I'm sure if we had to drop football, the first thing on our minds would be to warn the SoCon. Sure.

Just a crock.
Our loss.
Of course we might be able to up our academics by adding another small private, no-name, way the hell down in Alabama. Great for the non-rev travel budgets.

I don't think it's a crock at all. VMI notified the SoCon of their intentions. Why should ETSU get a pass? ETSU's administration is 100% to blame for their situation. They led the charge to deny a waiver to VMI and then they tried to hide what they were doing. I think the crock is to try to put the blame for this fiasco off on the SoCon office. They screw things up well enough without be ing blamed for things they didn't cause. I'd rather that the SoCon not admit a b'ball only school, but if they do, it won't be at all comparable to what ETSU pulled.

SoCon48
May 17th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Not comparable?
Admit a school which never had football and never will and dump one that had one for decades and drops it. Yeah. That makes sense.
They should have been chastised for their handling the situation..but dumped? Stupid as hell. As usual.
See absolutely no difference in keeping ETSU than admitting and keeping UNC-G and CofC.
It's just a dumb ass political conference.

appst89
May 17th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Not comparable?
Admit a school which never had football and never will and dump one that had one for decades and drops it. Yeah. That makes sense.
They should have been chastised for their handling the situation..but dumped? Stupid as hell. As usual.
See absolutely no difference in keeping ETSU than admitting and keeping UNC-G and CofC.
It's just a dumb ass political conference.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't think ETSU left the other members any other choice.

Lapper
May 17th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Wasn't Coastal Carolina's football team ranked higher than EKU last year in most polls? Not only that but most of our sports programs are more competitive than theirs. Is it the draw/attendence at football games that you're worried about? Coastal's just too good to pass up for the SoCon. :cool:

rokamortis
May 17th, 2005, 11:17 PM
They have a 100?? year head start on us - just think where we'll be with that much time in :eek:

BTW - We haven't had a losing season EVER!!! ;)

We are perfect for the SoCon - if they don't want us then their loss IMHO. We may not be where they want us to be just yet - but we'll get there soon enough.

SoCon48
May 18th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Our loss? SoCon as a developmental league. Of course, the SoCon could take Newberry, they might develop into something one day, too.

rokamortis
May 18th, 2005, 11:24 AM
We have some growing to do, no argument about that. But how many established power programs are beating down your door for admission. You can either get someone who will do nothing but get better or keep waiting and then realize you should have gotten us when you had the chance.

SoCon48
May 18th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Or stay as we are.
Or recruit some more of the Big South types.

I don't really think anyone is going to lose any sleep over CCU going anywhere else.

Where are they going..the SEC? :eek:

rokamortis
May 18th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Or stay as we are.
And keep hearing the App and GSU fans bitch about the conference not getting any better? CCU will help increase the level of competition for all sports besides football and basketball. Football will happen soon. Basketball is too early to tell but we are excited about ourr new coach.

Or recruit some more of the Big South types.
I assume this is rhetorical.

I don't really think anyone is going to lose any sleep over CCU going anywhere else.
You may not lose sleep about it - but you will probably chalk it up as another bad decision the conference has made.

Saint3333
May 18th, 2005, 11:50 AM
There are other options: EKU, JSU, Samford, UNCW (no football of course).

It seems as if CCU is beating down the SoCon for some reason, you see CCU being in the SoCon helps CCU much move than CCU helps the SoCon, as is the case for the majority of new conference members. There was no welcome wagon when ASU joined the SoCon either.

The SoCon has options, at least more than CCU does. CCU can either stay in the Big South or continue to improve and hope the SoCon notices.

rokamortis
May 18th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Saint - thanks for your thoughtful reply. I appreciate a mature conversation.

The SoCon just makes a lot of sense for us. We do have other options - but you are correct, the SoCon is the best option out there for us right now. Are we the most attractive school ton have in the conference, no. But are we the most attractive that WANTS in???

The SoCon has options - but how viable are they? You may want them but they are probably more than happy with their current situation.

SoCon48
May 18th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Haven't seen any evidence that CCU would increase the level of competition in any sport. It would add a contender for baseball, but that's about it.

At present, there would be an equal or greater number chalking up their admission as another bad decision.

And nope, not rhetorical. That is the present level. There have been others who have come in from the BS and found out the difference in competition.

CCU would be a much better choice than Samford and Hampton (who for some reason gets mentioned once in a while), however.

SoCon48
May 18th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Seriously, what are those other options for CCU?

ccujacket
May 18th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Haven't seen any evidence that CCU would increase the level of competition in any sport. It would add a contender for baseball, but that's about it.

I think it's safe to say a nearly consensus top 25 team that's got a better RPI than every SoCon team except CofC, which doesn't make too much sense considering the only decent wins CofC has out of conference are splitting against CCU and against Winthrop.

We have a soccer team that's made 6 of the last 11 NCAA tournaments (4 in a row currently), made the elite eight two years ago, and has a 41-23-5 record all-time against the Southern Conference.

Saint3333
May 18th, 2005, 01:18 PM
JSU and EKU would be my first two choices in that order as I'd like to seek new locations for the SoCon, it already has 9 NC&SC schools. Both would give UTC a travel partner, which is rumored to be upset and considers joining the OVC ever year it seems. I would pick JSU over EKU, but only so Davidson would be in the North Division for bball again (to ensure ASU plays them twice).

And do I think if the SoCon went hard after either of them they'd leave the OVC? :nod:

EagleCrusade
May 18th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Would JSU become an all-sports member? I hope so, but that would leave the A-Sun gutted and left dying on the side of the road with only....Mercer and Belmont....and Lipscomb.

ccujacket
May 18th, 2005, 02:03 PM
So, I did a little research, sport-by-sport, using national rankings to determine where CCU would fit into the SoCon.

Football(GPI):
1. Georgia Southern (8)
2. Furman (9)
3. App State (30)
4. Wofford (31)
5. Coastal Carolina (49)
6. W. Carolina (56)
7. The Citadel (61)
8. Elon (81)
9. Chattanooga (89)

Basketball (M)(Warren Nolan RPI):
1. Davidson (61)
2. Chattanooga (123)
3. UNC-G (125)
4. CofC (134)
5. Georgia Southern (176)
6. App State (188)
7. Furman (201)
8. Wofford (235)
9. Elon (269)
10. Coastal Carolina (287)
11. The Citadel (296)
12. W Carolina (309)

Basketball (W)(CollegeRPI.com):
1. Chattanooga (56)
2. Davidson (116)
3. Furman (134)
4. Georgia So (164)
5. UNC Greensboro (176)
6. Western Carolina (148)
7. Coll of Charleston (226)
8. Appalachian St (232)
9. Coastal Carolina (304)
10. Elon (311)
11. Wofford (314)

Baseball(Boyd's World Pseudo-RPI):
1. College of Charleston (7)
2. Coastal Carolina (18)
3. Georgia Southern (41)
4. Elon (66)
5. Western Carolina (71)
6. UNC-G (72)
7. Davidson (92)
8. The Citadel (148)
9. Furman (150)
10. Wofford (209)
11. App State (243)

Softball(Warren Nolan RPI):
1. College of Charleston (42)
2. UT-Chattanooga (66)
3. Coastal Carolina (107)
4. Georgia Southern (129)
5. Elon (135)
6. App State (158)
7. UNC-G (209)
8. Furman (212)

Men's Golf(Golf Stat):
1. Georgia Southern (12)
2. Coastal Carolina (36)
3. UNC-G (80)
4. Furman (112)
5. Davidson (122)
6. Elon (138)
7. UT-Chattanooga (140)
8. College of Charleston (155)
9. Western Carolina (179)
10. Wofford (181)
11. App State (225)
12. The Citadel (257)

Women's Golf(Golf Stat):
1. Furman (13)
2. Coastal Carolina (62)
3. College of Charleston (65)
4. Elon (95)
5. UNC-G (96)
6. Western Carolina (113)
7. Wofford (150)
8. App State (172)
9. The Citadel (178)

Men's Soccer(Jones Soccer Ratings):
1. UNC-G (10)
2. College of Charleston (26)
3. Coastal Carolina (42)
4. Davidson (50)
5. App State (98)
6. Georgia Southern (121)
7. Furman (129)
8. Elon (161)
9. Wofford (196)

Women's Soccer(Jones Soccer Ratings):
1. Furman (89)
2. UNC Greensboro (95)
3. College of Charleston (156)
4. Davidson (161)
5. UT-Chattanooga (173)
6. App State (228)
7. Wofford (233)
8. Western Carolina (237)
9. Elon (247)
10. Coastal Carolina (249)
11. Georgia Southern (262)
12. The Citadel (287)

Men's Tennis:

No national rankings but we were 2-0 vs the SoCon beating 4th place The Citadel and 10th place UNCG.

Women's Tennis:

No national rankings. We were 2-1 vs the SoCon beating 5th place UNCG and 11th place Western. We lost to third place CofC.

Outdoor Track & Field:
by number of athletes to be sent to the regional championships

1. App State (11)
2. Coastal Carolina (9)
3. UT-Chattanooga (4)
4. Western Carolina (3)
5. Georgia Southern (2)
6(tie). Wofford (1)
6(tie). UNCG (1)
6(tie). Elon (1)

Volleyball:

2-1 vs the SoCon.

SoCon48
May 18th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Yep, that really raises the level of compettion in the SoCon. Baseball and Soccer. Two sports that need absolutely no help.

BTW. WCU is sending 14 to the T&F regionals. Not 9.

Coastal was 0-2 vs the SoCon in basketball, BTW, while you're citing head to head.
Football. CC beat non-scholarship Davidson by a TD.

After Newberry beat Coastal by two TD's, looks like Newberry should get the invite.
Can't see Coastal beating Citadel nor WCU for that matter.

ccujacket
May 18th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Baseball, Soccer, Men's Golf, Women's Golf. Football has shown great promise. We have the returning Big South Freshman of the Year and Player of the year in basketball so I'd expect now that we actually have a good coach we should have a pretty good team there too.

I'd put our athletic program up against yours any day.

JaxSinfonian
May 19th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Would JSU become an all-sports member? I hope so, but that would leave the A-Sun gutted and left dying on the side of the road with only....Mercer and Belmont....and Lipscomb.

Crusade, that sun's already set. JSU joined the OVC in all sports in 2003. And I'm kinda glad they did ...

In addition to the two football titles, the Gamecocks won the league's baseball tournament and men's golf title last year. This year they've already brought home titles in women's golf, men's tennis and rifle. The baseball team is tied with APSU for first place heading into a season-ending series with the Govs this weekend. Softball won the regular season, but lost the tournament title game to Tenn. Tech last weekend.

In short, the OVC has been a real good fit for Jax State, in everything but men's basketball. And as soon as we can get rid of our current hoops coach that should turn around.

There are many fans who would prefer to see JSU in the SoCon. Why? I think they'd just feel more comfortable in a league with "South" in its name. But there are at least as many fans who would prefer to keep winning titles in football. It may be the easy road to the postseason, but it's just really nice to be playing football on Thanksgiving weekend.

SoCon48
May 19th, 2005, 09:31 AM
"I'd put our athletic program up against yours anyday."

ROFLMAO!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

FURMANFAN
May 19th, 2005, 11:45 AM
The two most often mentioned cons to CCU joining the SoCon are academics and location. I don't really see either as a deal breaker. We have several schools in the SoCon that aren't exactly Harvard already despite what you might read here and abouts. I believe the admin at CCU will tell the commish they'll do better and that will be it. As for location, I agree the SoCon needs to expand the famous footprint. In particular we need to get back into Virginia where the conference has such a long tradition. However, I don't see this as a compelling reason to overlook a school with such a tremendous upside and a football team. Now will it happen soon? Maybe not for a couple of reasons. First, I think it's important that CCU actually breaks ground on the new basketball arena. Second, am I the only one who has noticed that Morrison is applying for every AD job on the planet this year? I understand he's in the final two at TCU even now. It can't be wise to expand with an interim commissioner.

ccujacket
May 19th, 2005, 11:53 AM
"I'd put our athletic program up against yours anyday."

ROFLMAO!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

What, pray tell, is App State good at? Track & Field seems to be it.

Saint3333
May 19th, 2005, 01:50 PM
CCU is better at Baseball, Soccer, and Golf, while ASU is better at Football, Basketball (M&W), and T&F.

Of these seven sports which is the public knowledgable (my opinion only, no facts or numbers to support this), however it almost mirrors the order in which to compared CCU to the SoCon :cool:

1. Football
2. Basketball (M)
A big gap
3. Baseball
4. Basketball (W)
another gap
4. T&F
5. Soccer
6. Golf

So if you asked the common sports fan which school has a better athletic program between any two schools it would depend on how good they perform in football and basketball.

ccujacket
May 19th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Yes you're currently better at Basketball and Football but for those sports your teams aren't making the postseason either. Our Soccer, Golf, and Baseball teams make the postseason.

Saint3333
May 19th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Ok if you want to change the criteria to make a point that's nice, but in the last five years ASU basketball has made the NCAA once and in football they'd made it 3 times to the 1-AA playoffs.

Your average sports fan doesn't know who was in the semi-finals (or finished top 4) for the championship in soccer, baseball, or golf.

Football and basketball are so for ahead in media and public attention. You get a chance in just under 4 months...

Lapper
May 20th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Ok if you want to change the criteria to make a point that's nice, but in the last five years ASU basketball has made the NCAA once and in football they'd made it 3 times to the 1-AA playoffs.

Your average sports fan doesn't know who was in the semi-finals (or finished top 4) for the championship in soccer, baseball, or golf.

Football and basketball are so for ahead in media and public attention. You get a chance in just under 4 months...

-So why does the SoCon have the other sports? Since they are soooo useless they should just get rid of them. :rolleyes:

-I have no doubt that we will unfortunately get into the SoCon, that we will have an excellent football program in a couple more years, and that our basketball program will soon surpass yours in two years with your old coach.

GreatAppSt
May 20th, 2005, 09:42 PM
I have no doubt that we will unfortunately get into the SoCon, that we will have an excellent football program in a couple more years, and that our basketball program will soon surpass yours in two years with your old coach.

Elon said the same thing.

SoCon48
May 21st, 2005, 09:48 AM
Useless sports? Sandlapper, I think if you look around, you will see many top programs--Delaware, Montana, and many others carry as many or more than ASU. Only sport we carry that is not mainstream would be Field Hockey and even it helps in regard to Title IX.
It is hard to be successful in and financially support that many programs, but with a little simple research you'll find that all our sports have achieved conference, state, regional, even national prominence at one time or other.

BTW, there are many Mountaineer fans who have confidence in the present coach. Our "old coach" as you refer to him is one of the youngest in Div I.

As GreatAppSt alluded, some others thought that the transition to the SoCon would be easier. We'll just have to wait and see...especially when/if you get the chance to play a full complement of SoCon teams in football.

ccujacket
May 21st, 2005, 09:55 AM

I don't recall about talking about the average sports fans perspective. Your average sports fan doesn't know who goes to the I-AA playoffs either and only considers who goes to the Big Dance from the Big South or SoCon for that second that he's finishing his bracket.

This isn't about media attention, this is about the overall quality of our sports program which the App State fans, moreso than the other SoCon fans, think is low. When the fact of the matter is overall we're making more postseason appearances than App State. Did the Mountaineers make any postseason appearances in any team sport this year? :confused:

SoCon48
May 21st, 2005, 10:14 AM
We've had many teams come from other conferences including the Big South who found it MUCH more difficult to make it to the play-offs thru SoCon competition. Teams like CofC, UNC-G, Elon, Wofford, etc.

Some of your fans realize it will be difficult to make it above the bottom half of the SoCon during the transition, much the less any post season appearances.
H, if the Big South was as good as the SoCon, you wouldn't be begging to join. :eek:

BTW, I'm not one of the ones opposed to CCU's admission, but i do feel it will be a while before it could contribute significantly. And do think there will be a lot of griping about CCU's academic admission standards.

ccujacket
May 21st, 2005, 10:28 AM
Some of your fans realize it will be difficult to make it above the bottom half of the SoCon during the transition, much the less any post season appearances.
H, if the Big South was as good as the SoCon, you wouldn't be begging to join. :eek:

I don't think we would finish in the upper half of the SoCon in football if we were to enter in there soon. But, there is no reason for me to believe that our baseball, golf, and soccer teams wouldn't be competing for championships.

The only reason anyone wants to go to the SoCon is for football.

SoCon48
May 21st, 2005, 10:56 AM
Competing for championships? Depends on what you mean. It gets pretty crowded at the top for soccer, baseball, and several other sports.

Kill'em
May 21st, 2005, 03:47 PM
-So why does the SoCon have the other sports? Since they are soooo useless they should just get rid of them. :rolleyes:

-I have no doubt that we will unfortunately get into the SoCon, that we will have an excellent football program in a couple more years, and that our basketball program will soon surpass yours in two years with your old coach.
I wouldn't call our other sports "useless." If you look at the national rankings, the SoCon is ranked pretty high. I do not believe in the rankings though. I like head-to-head match-ups. The SEC will tell you about the quality of our baseball program and we are very competitive in basketball as well. This is why I'll reserve judgement on CCU until we've played you.

ccujacket
May 21st, 2005, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't call our other sports "useless." If you look at the national rankings, the SoCon is ranked pretty high. I do not believe in the rankings though. I like head-to-head match-ups. The SEC will tell you about the quality of our baseball program and we are very competitive in basketball as well. This is why I'll reserve judgement on CCU until we've played you.
You missed the point, Kill'Em. The App fan said that only Football and Basketball matter and the other sports don't and that's why App State's athletics are better than ours, because the sports we are good at don't matter.

Lapper was being sarcastic, hence the ' :rolleyes: '

Lapper
May 21st, 2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks Jacket.

So what happens when we beat you in your own house? You guys would be the laughing stock of the SoCon. If you beat us...big deal, it was "expected." The pressure is going to be on your guys not ours. :cool:

I would think that the meeting now would be consumed mostly on debating who will be the next commish.

Purple Knight
May 21st, 2005, 11:11 PM
CCU, hope you make it into the conference soon. We sure don't need a non-football school. Sure I would like to see the Va schools come back in/join such as W & M, Richmond or JMU as well as EKU and JSU. But it an't going to happen anytime soon, if at all. Maybe JSU.

ASU is down and the fans are not happy. If they were on top in football & basketball, they wouldn't care less who joined. You have got to understand their North Carolina upbringing. Just like the NC 'Big Four', they have been told they are a cut or two above anything south of the border. It just hasn't been that way in a while. They do have Furmans number in football, but everyone knows its just a fluke, but it still hurts. You can't even get their graduates to take a job in SC or GA. They will go to VA. Its just a snob thing.

Saint3333
May 22nd, 2005, 09:53 AM
As a sports fan I could care less if WCU beat ASU in soccer, baseball, golf, etc. as long as ASU continues to beat them in football and basketball. I never hear people at work or people in the office saying "Oh you beat us in football or bball", but how about the beating we gave you in field hockey. ;)

I look at the other sports to add to the college experience, and give kids additional chances to earn scholarships.

As for NC vs. SC, NC has better towns (excluding Charleston), better schools, better mountains, but I do like your beaches better.

I also like your women better, I took the best thing out of that state and married her, of course now she's a NC girl. ;)

I like every other year's schedule as ASU does it's SC tour this year at Wofford, Citadel, and Furman, with a home game vs. CCU. Should be fun. See you boys there.

rokamortis
May 22nd, 2005, 06:20 PM
Alright - since Morrison resigned how do you think this will affect any expansion of the SoCon? CCU or otherwise.

A few weeks ago a friend of mine told me that he had heard that we were pretty much a lock. He said his source is very reliable, but you know how that goes. There have also been many posters here saying that they've heard that there is no big rush.

The SoCon spring meetings are this week, correct? Hopefully we will hear something soon one way or the other.

GSU Eagle
May 23rd, 2005, 12:25 PM
I am on record as saying the SoCon should bring Coastal in. Now am I anybody with decision making power in the Socon? No.

I keep hearing that there is a split among the members as to whether inviting Coastal is a good move. Excluding ETSU I have heard the split is about evenly divided for and against Coastal. I believe Georgia Southern would be in favor of adding Coastal from what I have heard from several people connected to Ga. Southern.

I will say this-- if a visit is planned that is a very good sign. An earlier poster mentioned that he thought SoCon officials were going to make a visit to Coastal in the near future. If that is true it tells me serious consideration is being given to inviting Coastal.

Eaglegus2
May 23rd, 2005, 12:29 PM
There are rumors that VMI wants back into the Southern Conference.

Sorry Charlie!!!!!!!!! You made your decision now live with it.

OL FU
May 23rd, 2005, 12:43 PM
I am on record as saying the SoCon should bring Coastal in. Now am I anybody with decision making power in the Socon? No.

I keep hearing that there is a split among the members as to whether inviting Coastal is a good move. Excluding ETSU I have heard the split is about evenly divided for and against Coastal. I believe Georgia Southern would be in favor of adding Coastal from what I have heard from several people connected to Ga. Southern.

Any quesses on which schools would be supportive. From what I understand, for obvious reasons, Furman likes to maintain the small/large school balance, but since they would be replacing ETSU I don't know if that impacts this. The academics issue might be a concern for Furman (not me personally, in fact, while hearing lots of talk, I don't know the facts of the academic issues).

The Citadal and CoC might have difficulties with a school that close geographically, and it is one more long haul for Chattanooga.

EagleCrusade
May 23rd, 2005, 04:44 PM
There are rumors that VMI wants back into the Southern Conference.

Sorry Charlie!!!!!!!!! You made your decision now live with it.

Those rumors are substantiated...with more rumors.
Since their departure they have changed leadership to a more athetic friendly leadership. The BigSouth caused VMI athletic support to fall even further. They would like to re-enter the SoCon, their conference of choice since the 1920's.

I would like to see them back, but I don't expect them soon. I also dont have a problem with the change in mind considering we could use a school like that back...and they have football (horrible, but still)

Lapper
May 23rd, 2005, 08:52 PM
I've noticed since ECU left the conference that the whole eastern part of North Carolina from Myrtle Beach to the Newport News, from Chapel Hill to the coast, THERE IS NO I-AA FOOTBALL! We would be the closest thing for those in the coastal regions.

bdog
May 24th, 2005, 06:28 AM
ECU has never Been 1-AA.

FU97
May 24th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Those rumors are substantiated...with more rumors.
Since their departure they have changed leadership to a more athetic friendly leadership. The BigSouth caused VMI athletic support to fall even further. They would like to re-enter the SoCon, their conference of choice since the 1920's.

I would like to see them back, but I don't expect them soon. I also dont have a problem with the change in mind considering we could use a school like that back...and they have football (horrible, but still)

I know for a fact that VMI is interested and the Conference has some reciprocal interest (particularly Citadel). The change in administration (President I think) has turned more towards an atheltic friendly institution.

Not sure how I feel about this one. They really aren't very good in any particular sport.

I would think that the current lack of a commissioner would pretty much negate any expansion talks for the time being. I would think that the meetings now will be dominated by the search for a commissioner.

The Gadfly
May 24th, 2005, 10:50 AM
ECU has never Been 1-AA.

Who cares? Is that the point you think he was trying to make? Hell, he even put the point in all-caps. :rolleyes:

from Myrtle Beach to the Newport News, from Chapel Hill to the coast, THERE IS NO I-AA FOOTBALL!

GROW UP! (maybe I shouldn't put it all in caps?)

OL FU
May 24th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Who cares? Is that the point you think he was trying to make? Hell, he even put the point in all-caps. :rolleyes:

GROW UP! (maybe I shouldn't put it all in caps?)

I understood the point but I am not sure it is a legitimate one. Myrtle Beach does not move the SoCon footprint to eastern North Carolina. It just reaffirms it in the South Carolina low country.

That is not necessarily bad but if expansion of the footprint is one of the things the SoCon wants, Mrytle Beach does not do it.

Lapper
May 24th, 2005, 12:47 PM
FU- I understand your point and need to elaborate: I meant that, though we recruit well in other states, our main recruiting target is that region previously stated.

bdog- We haven't heard from you in a while and this is all you have to say? Well I said since they left the conference not the I-AA. They are the only football team in the area, I-AA or not. Just go back to sleep and l'll wake you up in September. :rolleyes:

GSUBass
May 24th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Is their any chance of the SoCon taking in more than one school? Maybe CCU and a school not in the Carolinas?

Lapper
May 24th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Geez it seems like there is some smackin to bdog from you Chant fans... :(

"What ever... what ever, I'm in ten gangs and we all do nothing but hate crimes." Eric Cartman, South Park.

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/601/601_image_21.jpg

GSU Eagle
May 24th, 2005, 10:16 PM
I have heard that Chattanooga and some of the other South Carolina schools are very lukewarm as far as adding Coastal to the conference.

This week at the baseball tourney in Charleston maybe some of you who will be there can pick up some information.

I hear so many contradictory views on what the conference will do or not do regarding expansion. I take that to indicate that there are definite divisions in the league over the admission of Coastal at this point.

chattanoogamocs
May 25th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Everyone keeps assuming that Chattanooga is either "lukewarm" or against CCU...I guess people assume this because of the distance.

Quite honestly, the admin, at this point, just has no opinion either way (btw--that is not second hand info)...maybe that counts to some as lukewarm? ...the reality is, they just want to take a wait and see approach to any expansion...I find nothing wrong with that (what's the rush?)

Maybe you guys don't realize that the CCU AD, Moose Koegel, used to be the Asst AD at Chattanooga...he is still very well liked and respected by many here in town (actually, I number of AD employees have told me that he is quite missed in the department).

Obviously, with that kind of connection, I would think that it would lean UofC on the "for" side...not on the "against".

BTW--I was reading on the ETSU board that the head of the ETSU football foundation (the volunteer group trying to bring back football) had a meeting with president Paul Stanton that was very favorable...in essence, I believe he said that if the groupd could get private commitments to fund the $700 to $800K a year for scholarships, he would work with them to bring back football....some of their fans seem to think they could be back to a football school in 4 years.

I will try to find the link to the minutes from the meeting to make sure this info is correct.