PDA

View Full Version : Villanova Could Lose Szczur

TexasTerror
May 25th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Both a little college baseball and football related...

The MVP of the Division I title game may not be returning to the field after putting together one helluva season with the baseball team. Would be hard to pass up someone with his kind of speed, though you got to wonder if he's better off with another year of baseball...

The Villanova two-sport star just completed his second college baseball season and led the team in most major statistics.

Szczur, a Lower Cape May High School graduate, led the Big East Conference in batting average (.443) and triples (seven). He led Villanova (29-23) with 77 hits, 39 RBIs, a .667 slugging percentage, a .487 on-base percentage and was second with 40 runs in 39 games this season.

The right fielder's statistics have caught the attention of Major League Baseball scouts, which means Szczur could be a high pick in the June 7-9 First-Year Player Draft.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20100525/SPORTS/5250337/1002/sports

Anovafan
May 25th, 2010, 11:29 AM
His stock is certainly rising. From what I understand MLB gives you more money if you leave after your junior year because they try to entice you to give up your senior year in college. Once you graduate, they don't have to lure you and the money is less, unless you are a top prospect. Matt keeps saying he will return, but I think once he is drafted and is guaranteed at least a million, he will have to go play baseball.

Franks Tanks
May 25th, 2010, 11:38 AM
His stock is certainly rising. From what I understand MLB gives you more money if you leave after your junior year because they try to entice you to give up your senior year in college. Once you graduate, they don't have to lure you and the money is less, unless you are a top prospect. Matt keeps saying he will return, but I think once he is drafted and is guaranteed at least a million, he will have to go play baseball.

Hard to turn down guaranteed money. As good as the young man is on the football field, his best chance to play professionally in on the diamond.

GannonFan
May 25th, 2010, 11:38 AM
While it would be a boon to Delaware for him to leave, it would also be likely a smart move for him to take the baseball payday. He may never make the majors, but the money he could get as a signing bonus would be a very sizeable payday, and as the other poster said, probably much more than he could get hanging around for another year. And while people like to try to say that he would have success in the NFL as a Wes Welker type, frankly, I think his best attribute on the football field is not when he plays WR (he's a good WR, but not a great one) but when he runs out of the Wildcat-type package. If I were him I'd take the baseball money and run (of course, if I were him, I wouldn't have gone to nova in the first place so take it for what it's worth).

Wildcat80
May 25th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Gotta take the money. Risk of injury in football too great.:D:D:D

GA St. MBB Fan
May 25th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Even if he decides to stay for his junior year - wouldn't be in his best interests not to risk getting injured on the football field and just play baseball next year?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 25th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Of course, GRADUATING might be the right move for him instead of an uncertain future professionally in either football or baseball.... xrolleyesx

Seriously, though, he's not projected as a first round pick in the MLB draft, so why would he bolt early? He could stay another year at Villanova and have a better chance at more money. And as others have pointed out, being drafted is no guarantee of success. Wouldn't he be better off with a college degree, while not harming his pro prospects?

GannonFan
May 25th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Of course, GRADUATING might be the right move for him instead of an uncertain future professionally in either football or baseball.... xrolleyesx

Seriously, though, he's not projected as a first round pick in the MLB draft, so why would he bolt early? He could stay another year at Villanova and have a better chance at more money. And as others have pointed out, being drafted is no guarantee of success. Wouldn't he be better off with a college degree, while not harming his pro prospects?

As others have said, waiting a year and being a college senior greatly reduces the amount of money he could get as a signing bonus - college juniors get more money, everything else being equal. And you don't need to be a first, second, or third round pick in baseball to get good signing money - players much later than that get several million. And as for graduating, finishing a college degree shouldn't be a problem - I know many people don't, but there's no indication this guy is a slacker in that regard. If it comes down to staying a year and getting little money versus leaving now, getting several million, and having to wait a year or two to finish the degree, I'd take the money in a heartbeat. Turning down several million is almost never a good idea.

ngineer
May 25th, 2010, 12:33 PM

Take the money and run Szczur! Although I wouldn't mind watching you at Goodman on September 11 (yeah, right!xrolleyesx)

ngineer
May 25th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Hard to turn down guaranteed money. As good as the young man is on the football field, his best chance to play professionally in on the diamond.

If he has the tools to play both, makes sense to go with baseball. More money, longer player-life expectancy, generally, less wear and tear physically. He can always complete his degree in the off-season.

smallcollegefbfan
May 25th, 2010, 12:36 PM

Word on the street is that he is telling teammates that he will likely go pro if drafted high enough. I would actually be surprised if he comes back. I think he will go in the top 5-10 rounds and head to the minor leagues.

jmufan999
May 25th, 2010, 12:46 PM
god i hope he plays baseball. as much fun as he is to watch, i'd have more confidence in our ability to play with Nova without him (although in our defense, i believe the Nova game was Thorpe's first start last year and i'm of the opinion that Dudzik is FAR better).

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 25th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Go Matt go!!!

TexasTerror
May 28th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Word on the street is that he is telling teammates that he will likely go pro if drafted high enough. I would actually be surprised if he comes back. I think he will go in the top 5-10 rounds and head to the minor leagues.

It would be much too difficult to pass up the kind of $$$ given to a first round pick. We'll know more in the June draft, where he lands and what he thinks of it...

Are Villanova fans just giving in to the fact that Szczur will be gone? Or are they being optimistic?

Anovafan
May 28th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I think we just know money talks and have known since he enrolled it was a distinct possibility that he would leave. When Matt was a freshman, the baseball coach said use him as much as you can because after his junior year, he would be gone to MLB. We have seen this coming for a while now.

EmeryZach
May 28th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Take the money!!! He needs to go play baseball. That's where his money is.

jstclmet
May 29th, 2010, 04:36 PM
It would be much too difficult to pass up the kind of $$$ given to a first round pick. We'll know more in the June draft, where he lands and what he thinks of it...

Are Villanova fans just giving in to the fact that Szczur will be gone? Or are they being optimistic?

Angelo Babbaro will run the "Wildcat".
Other WR's will fill in the slot.
Same with KR's

TexasTerror
June 8th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Today is the likely day...

Matt Szczur has never questioned whether he wanted to play baseball. Even though he's a two-sport athlete at Villanova University, baseball is his top sport.

But in the days leading up to the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft, he never had so many people question his commitment to baseball.

The Villanova junior is a two-sport star. He was the MVP in the Football Championship Subdivision national championship game last fall when the Wildcats won their first title.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports/article_0096d941-f378-5808-b3e1-9d409d475d09.html

SideLine Shooter
June 8th, 2010, 07:37 AM
If he goes, Nova will be just another team in FCS.

smallcollegefbfan
June 8th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Today is the likely day...

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports/article_0096d941-f378-5808-b3e1-9d409d475d09.html

Based on what I'm hearing I believe he will be taken today and will not return to football. It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

smallcollegefbfan
June 8th, 2010, 08:01 AM
If he goes, Nova will be just another team in FCS.

If he does go then I agree. They likely fall from 1 to the 3-5 range without him.

UNH Fanboi
June 8th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I think Nova will be fine without him. They still have a ton of talent.

SideLine Shooter
June 8th, 2010, 08:16 AM

Sure, they will be fine, but Szczur is a game changer.

smallcollegefbfan
June 8th, 2010, 08:18 AM

Like I said they will still be a top 5 team but are no longer a slam dunk #1 if he is gone. They are still going to be my pick to win the CAA because like you said there is a lot of talent there.

tribefan40
June 8th, 2010, 08:20 AM

I'm not saying that he single-handedly won the NC last year, but if any one player was most responsible for their run, it was him. The man broke open the game against W&M and roughed up Montana. Villanova will still be a good team, but the loss of Szczur would break the CAA race wide-open. xrotatehx

jmufan999
June 8th, 2010, 08:21 AM

i had the same thing written and erased it because i figured someone would rip me for it.

totally agree, Fanboi. i wouldn't move them from #1 even if he leaves. who would we put ahead of them? for god's sakes, app state lost AE and Montana lost Mariani, so i'd have a hard time putting either one of those teams ahead. Nova is stacked, with or without Sczcur. he's just the player that gets all the pub. it's starts at QB and they've got a pretty talented one.

NHwildEcat
June 8th, 2010, 10:27 AM
If he leaves...they are still #1, no one is better then Villanova at this point in time.

GannonFan
June 8th, 2010, 11:13 AM
i had the same thing written and erased it because i figured someone would rip me for it.

totally agree, Fanboi. i wouldn't move them from #1 even if he leaves. who would we put ahead of them? for god's sakes, app state lost AE and Montana lost Mariani, so i'd have a hard time putting either one of those teams ahead. Nova is stacked, with or without Sczcur. he's just the player that gets all the pub. it's starts at QB and they've got a pretty talented one.

Eh, the offense tends to start and end with Sczur. Whitney is fine, but nova's real threat is when Sczur is on the field and taking the snaps. If he goes, the offense definitely is downgraded.

With that said, they have plenty of defensive talent that they'll win with that. Still the best in the CAA coming into this year, but the gap between them and anyone else gets a big hit if Sczur is gone.

4th and What?
June 8th, 2010, 01:45 PM
5th Round - 160th overall pick by the Chicago Cubs - Matthew Szczur

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 8th, 2010, 02:00 PM

Does that equate into enough money to consider foregoing your senior year of college?

Syntax Error
June 8th, 2010, 02:07 PM

He'll be back with Nova this year. People who are saying Nova is hurt so much if he leaves don't remember ASU when Richie left... then came Armanti who? xshhhx

Squealofthepig
June 8th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Yeah, Nova would be fine without him, but I'm guessing he'll be back.

I mean, the Cubs? He's probably not within ten years of the Cubs average age, and I'm guessing Szczur wants to continue to play on a winning team - or at least one that has won something within his great-great grandparents' lifetimes.

tribefan40
June 8th, 2010, 02:28 PM
He'll be back with Nova this year. People who are saying Nova is hurt so much if he leaves don't remember ASU when Richie left... then came Armanti who? xshhhx

Yes because all players who leave are assured to be replaced by two-time Payton winners. I think that he will be back with Nova this fall too, but if you think that Nova wouldn't be significantly hurt by the loss of this player, you didn't see him enough last year. xtwocentsx

Anovafan
June 8th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I know nothing about MLB signing bonuses. The best info I could find was from 2006 and the avg was around $175K for a 5th rounder. http://www.angelfire.com/vt/prospectwatch/index88.html

Even if that is $250K now, the minor league salary is so small, I'm not sure that is enough to leave college in my opinion. If he truly has MLB potential, he'll get there eventually.

Syntax Error
June 8th, 2010, 02:36 PM
if you think that Nova wouldn't be significantly hurt by the loss of this player, you didn't see him enough last year. I saw nearly every game and I know that the defense at Nova is stellar and the offense has many weapons. It is not a stretch to say they may repeat as NCAA D-I Champs. Having Matt would help that but losing him does not doom it. xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
June 8th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I know nothing about MLB signing bonuses. The best info I could find was from 2006 and the avg was around $175K for a 5th rounder. http://www.angelfire.com/vt/prospectwatch/index88.html

Even if that is $250K now, the minor league salary is so small, I'm not sure that is enough to leave college in my opinion. If he truly has MLB potential, he'll get there eventually.

The salaries have gone up quite a bit and one thing to remember is that Matt has a lot of leverage since he technically has two years of baseball eligibility left, since he can apply for a medical redshirt, so he will likely get twice as much as the average player taken in the 5th round would. My guess is that he could get between over 500k but I don't know if that is going to be enough for him to go pro in baseball this year.

danefan
June 8th, 2010, 02:38 PM

Even if that is $250K now, the minor league salary is so small, I'm not sure that is enough to leave college in my opinion.

Its not. Its probably equal to o rless than the 2006 signings. There was a dropoff last year in the later rounds because of hte economy and I expect that will continue this year.

There are always some anomolies in each round though for signing bonuses which skews the average, but for the most part he'll be looking at around $150,000.

I If he truly has MLB potential, he'll get there eventually.

That is true....unless of course he gets hurt playing football. The possibility of which has to be a consideration here.

danefan
June 8th, 2010, 02:40 PM
The salaries have gone up quite a bit and one thing to remember is that Matt has a lot of leverage since he technically has two years of baseball eligibility left, since he can apply for a medical redshirt, so he will likely get twice as much as the average player taken in the 5th round would. My guess is that he could get between over 500k but I don't know if that is going to be enough for him to go pro in baseball this year.

I totally disagree with your analysis SCFBF. Talk about two posts at the same time with the total opposite view. xsmiley_wix

The average may have gone up because of some anomolies, but the usual mid-round signing bonuses haven't really moved.

And I'm not sure how much leverage he has here. I'd be very very surprised if he saw anything more than $250k and I think he'll probably see more like $150k.

But I guess we'll have to just wait and see.

smallcollegefbfan
June 8th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I totally disagree with your analysis SCFBF. Talk about two posts at the same time with the total opposite view. xsmiley_wix

The average may have gone up because of some anomolies, but the usual mid-round signing bonuses haven't really moved.

And I'm not sure how much leverage he has here. I'd be very very surprised if he saw anything more than $250k and I think he'll probably see more like $150k.

But I guess we'll have to just wait and see.

Trust me Matt has a TON of leverage with teams because he is clearly a highly coveted player being taken in the top 5 rounds. Matt is a highly drafted player. You have to remember that in the NFL there are only 7 rounds so the 3rd to 5th is the mid rounds but the MLB draft has 50 so the mid rounds are considered to be 20-30 range. I have seen a lot of players taken in the 10th to 15th round before and leave early.

He might come back but I know for a fact 100% that there is a legit chance he does not return to Villanova. If he comes back it is because he feels he can get much more money next year in the MLB Draft or because the money this year just isn't quite enough to lure him away. This is not a done deal either way. He is having to think this thing out. If he had gone top 3 rounds I think he would be gone for sure but had he fallen to the 10th or 11th round I think he would be back for sure.

Anovafan
June 8th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Well here is a fact, he wants 1.5M to leave. Based on my limited knowledge of signing bonuses, I don't see that happening. Here's to hoping he comes back.

danefan
June 8th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Trust me Matt has a TON of leverage with teams because he is clearly a highly coveted player being taken in the top 5 rounds. Matt is a highly drafted player. You have to remember that in the NFL there are only 7 rounds so the 3rd to 5th is the mid rounds but the MLB draft has 50 so the mid rounds are considered to be 20-30 range. I have seen a lot of players taken in the 10th to 15th round before and leave early. I think it is 50/50 if he leaves right now and to be honest I know for a fact that he prefers baseball so it might not take as much money for him to leave as some think. He likes football for sure but baseball is his true love. He was telling teammates in the weeks leading up to the draft that he was likely going to go pro.

I understand the MLB draft. My nephew was the 1st pick of the 4th round a few years ago and I dealt with him and his agent when he negotiated his contract. The MLB draft is a werid beast. It is possible for him to get the money you are talking about, but I just don't think its likely.

danefan
June 8th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Well here is a fact, he wants 1.5M to leave. Based on my limited knowledge of signing bonuses, I don't see that happening. Here's to hoping he comes back.

If he wants $1.5 million then he's coming back to Nova.

There's very little chance he's getting that. Although you can't blame him for trying. xnodx

BigHouseClosedEnd
June 8th, 2010, 03:28 PM
So...

1- The guy already won a NC last year.
2- Is going to get a Signing bonus in the 6 figures and a contract on top of it.
3- Might get injured playing FCS football this fall and risk it all...

And still might come back? Really?

LeadBolt
June 8th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Szczur's loss would definitely hurt Villanova, but that is relative. They would go from being the hands down favorite to repeat to one of three or so favorites to win the NC. Villanova is solid w/o him, and spectacular with him.

clearthinker
June 8th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Szczur was selected by Cubs in 5th round------160th overall

Philliesfan980
June 8th, 2010, 04:07 PM
He's never going to be a top pick in baseball, he just doesn't have the power to warrant it. Now if he wants to play football, then yeah, he shouldn't sign and keep going forward, but if he truly wants to play baseball, he should consider this offer.

smallcollegefbfan
June 8th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I understand the MLB draft. My nephew was the 1st pick of the 4th round a few years ago and I dealt with him and his agent when he negotiated his contract. The MLB draft is a werid beast. It is possible for him to get the money you are talking about, but I just don't think its likely.

I know a player taken in the 7th round last year got a 1.5 million dollar signing bonus. All I'm saying is that it is quite possible for him to get what he wants and if he does he will bolt. I know he truly loves baseball and there is nothing wrong with him doing either. If he goes to the MLB then I will root for him but if he comes back I will enjoy scouting him for one more year. :)

smallcollegefbfan
June 8th, 2010, 05:34 PM
So...

1- The guy already won a NC last year.
2- Is going to get a Signing bonus in the 6 figures and a contract on top of it.
3- Might get injured playing FCS football this fall and risk it all...

And still might come back? Really?

Plus the wear and tear from baseball is much less than football. I am going on record right now saying I would be SHOCKED if he plays football this year. The money, less likely to get hurt, and follow his dream to the sport he loves the most are why I just don't see him coming back. I hope he does but my head overrules my heart on this one.

danefan
June 8th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I know a player taken in the 7th round last year got a 1.5 million dollar signing bonus. All I'm saying is that it is quite possible for him to get what he wants and if he does he will bolt. I know he truly loves baseball and there is nothing wrong with him doing either. If he goes to the MLB then I will root for him but if he comes back I will enjoy scouting him for one more year. :)

Yes, but like I said situations like that the exception rather than the rule. My nephew was way above slot too, but that was because the Rays called him before the the 2nd round and asked him to accept a deal for 2nd round money if they could wait and take him in the 4th round. They took the risk of him still being there in the 4th round, but his agent essentially made sure of it by telling the other teams he would accept his scholarship to college unless they matched the Rays offer. The Rays got him in the 4th and paid him 2nd round money, which was 5 times what the guy got the very next pick.

I hope Szczur can get some good dough. I think he'll have a much better professional career and life playing baseball than he will wallowing away on an NFL practice squad or in the CFL. I just don't think its likely he'll get as much as he might have though. But, like you, I think he's as good as gone to the minors. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't sign with the Cubs until the August deadline though.

Anovafan
June 8th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Word is that Matt is not going to make a decision for a while and keep us all in suspense.

danefan
June 9th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Word is that Matt is not going to make a decision for a while and keep us all in suspense.

He has until August 15th.

McNeese75
June 10th, 2010, 07:49 PM
He has until August 15th.

Somebody let us know next month if he is catching footballs or fly balls and that should let the cat out of the bag xnodx

bluehenbillk
June 11th, 2010, 07:04 AM

The Phils 1st round pick just signed for $1.16M, so 1.5 for a 5th round pick? xscanx

smallcollegefbfan
June 11th, 2010, 07:12 AM
The Phils 1st round pick just signed for $1.16M, so 1.5 for a 5th round pick? xscanx

I've seen a 7th round pick get over 1M signing bonus. It just depends on a player's situation. Two 2nd round picks one is a senior and one is a junior. You can bet the junior is going to get much more money because he has leverage. Not saying Matt will get what he wants but the numbers vary. This kid could have took 1.16M with Philly because he just wanted to get to the majors and was willing to take whatever. I'm not saying Matt will get 1.5M but I'm only saying that just because the 23rd overall pick gets 1.25M it does not mean the 40th overall pick can't get more. MLB is not like the NFL where they are slots and once the 40th pick in the NFL Draft signs for 1.2M the 43rd pick can't get more than that. It will be interesting to see what Matt does. I really believe he signs soon if they are willing to give him what he wants but if not negotiations may drag out right up until the deadline to sign.

UNHWILDCATS05
July 1st, 2010, 02:59 PM
Szczur will return. (http://www.caafootballblog.com/?SPSID=48484&SPID=4660&DB_OEM_ID=8500)

wr70beh
July 1st, 2010, 03:09 PM
Yeah Villanova released a press statement about this, too. Good for Szczur...bad for the rest of the CAA.

I don't know if he's ever played in any collegiate wood bat summer leagues. Hitting with wood might be the biggest adjustment for him going forward this summer.

TexasTerror
July 1st, 2010, 03:22 PM
FYI - there's this other thread too - http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?70020-Matt-Szczur-Signs-Contract-With-Chicago-Cubs-Will-Return-to-Villanova-in-the-Fall

ASU_Fanatic
July 2nd, 2010, 10:22 AM
C'mon Szczur go on to the baseball draft! lol

ngineer
July 2nd, 2010, 10:07 PM
Yeah Villanova released a press statement about this, too. Good for Szczur...bad for the rest of the CAA.

I don't know if he's ever played in any collegiate wood bat summer leagues. Hitting with wood might be the biggest adjustment for him going forward this summer.

....what ELSE would you suggest?!xrotatehxxeyebrowx

superman7515
July 2nd, 2010, 10:17 PM

The Phils pick took a hometown discount and even said so when he was interviewed on ESPN. Jesse Biddle is from Germantown, PA which is a neighborhood in northwest Philly. The kid said the Phils have been his favorite team his whole life and he told his agent he had no interest in holding out for money, to just take the initial offer because he wanted to play ball.