PDA

View Full Version : SCSU Def. Coordinator Leaves for I-A / NFL Opportunities

bosshogg
January 6th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Wells leaving SCSU

By THOMAS GRANT JR., T&D Senior Sports Writer
Friday, January 06, 2006

When Oliver “Buddy” Pough left the University of South Carolina to become head coach at his alma mater South Carolina State, one of his first hires was Robby Wells as defensive coordinator.

The two worked together at USC when Pough was the running backs’ coach and Wells served as a graduate assistant. With Wells orchestrating the defense the past four years, the Bulldogs have been ranked near the top statistically among all Division I-AA teams and led the nation in pass defense efficiency in 2003.

Faced with the challenge of changing defenses from a 3-3-5 set to a more conventional four-man front, Wells managed to maintain SCSU’s high-ranking both in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference and all Division I-AA.

As the Bulldogs look to improve on back-to-back 9-2 seasons by advancing to the Division I-AA playoffs, they will do so without its second-longest tenured assistant. On Thursday, Wells revealed he was leaving SCSU to pursue other opportunities in Division I-A and possibly the NFL.

“Buddy and I sat down (after the season) and decided it was best that I move on,” Wells said. “I agreed with him. It was time for me and I though it was time to move on.” ...

http://timesanddemocrat.com/articles/2006/01/06/sports/doc43be11488ff67329911879.txt