PDA

View Full Version : How Many Would Montana Win in the CAA in 2010

jstclmet
May 14th, 2010, 09:04 AM
The new era in Montana begins. Can they go undefeated in the Big Sky???

If they were playing in the CAA, would they make the playoffs???

How many do you think Montana would win in 2010 if they played in the CAA??

Reasoned judgements, please.

AshevilleApp2
May 14th, 2010, 10:04 AM
They would run the table in the arrogance that is the CAA.

Rekdiver
May 14th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Oh God.....How would the CAA schools do in the NFL?

AppIAA
May 14th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Oh God.....How would the CAA schools do in the NFL?

Even Towson would win the NFC West, and be middle of the road in every other division xcoffeex

SideLine Shooter
May 14th, 2010, 10:42 AM

They might run the table but the arrogance is now in Nevada. The Griz fans I have had the pleasure to meet have all been great football fans and a real pleasure to be around. I've met some of the coaches and staff and players and can only say good things about all.xthumbsupx

If I were not a Mountaineer, I would probably want to be a Grizz. Great people, great place, what else can I say.xnodx

AppIAA
May 14th, 2010, 11:52 AM
They might run the table but the arrogance is now in Nevada. The Griz fans I have had the pleasure to meet have all been great football fans and a real pleasure to be around. I've met some of the coaches and staff and players and can only say good things about all.xthumbsupx

If I were not a Mountaineer, I would probably want to be a Grizz. Great people, great place, what else can I say.xnodx

I agree, but I think AshvilleApp was referring to how arrogant the CAA is -- not the Griz

DFW HOYA
May 14th, 2010, 12:32 PM
With apologies to SNL...

"Bill Swerski: Now, gentlemen, let me ask you this: What if Da Griz were all 14 inches tall, you know, about so high? Now, what's your score of today's game?

Carl Wollarski: Against a CAA team?

Bill Swerski: Yes, give 'em a handicap.

Carl Wollarski: Griz 18, CAA 10. And that would finally be a good game.

Pat Arnold: Yeah, it would be a good game. Mini-Griz 24, CAA 14.

Todd O'Conner: What about Pflugrad? Would he be mini, too?

Bill Swerski: No, he would be full-grown.

Todd O'Conner: Oh, then, uh.. Mini Griz 31, CAA 7.

Carl Wollarski: Oh, hold on. Then I change mine, too. I thought it was Mini Pflugrad. "

jmufan999
May 14th, 2010, 12:40 PM

as i posted in another thread (and will continue to do so as long as the subject comes up [keep in mind i'm not the one bringing up this topic over and over] ).... Montana is 71-7 against non-CAA FCS-or-lower opponents dating back to 2004.

they're 1-4 in their last 5 against the CAA.... four SEPARATE teams beat them: JMU, Villanova, Richmond, and UMass.

but you're right, we're just arrogant for no reason. next time you might actually want to bring some facts to the table.

AppIAA
May 14th, 2010, 12:42 PM
as i posted in another thread (and will continue to do so as long as the subject comes up [keep in mind i'm not the one bringing it up over and over] ).... Montana is 71-7 against non-CAA FCS-or-lower opponents dating back to 2004.

they're 1-4 in their last 5 against the CAA.... four SEPARATE teams beat them: JMU, Villanova, Richmond, and UMass.

but you're right, we're just arrogant for no reason. next time you might actually want to bring some facts to the table.

I'm talking about overall arrogance.. not just against Montana.. try again

jmufan999
May 14th, 2010, 12:46 PM
what does "overall arrogance" mean? i addressed the thread topic... it's "how would montana do in the CAA".... by their last 5 games, i would say: not well.

SideLine Shooter
May 14th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I agree, but I think AshvilleApp was referring to how arrogant the CAA is -- not the Griz

If that is the case, I have to agree with him.

AppIAA
May 14th, 2010, 01:13 PM
what does "overall arrogance" mean? i addressed the thread topic... it's "how would montana do in the CAA".... by their last 5 games, i would say: not well.

Not going to go over it.. everyone but CAA fans knows exactly what it means..

CopperCat
May 14th, 2010, 07:49 PM
The guy starting all these ridiculous threads needs to be neg repped repeatedly.

Nova won't be in the top 3 of the CAA this season, so no, they wouldn't win the Socon. There, that should stir the pot a bit.

JALMOND
May 14th, 2010, 08:03 PM
What is with all these "polls" about how many games will Montana will in this conference or that conference? I'm already sick of them and we are just at the end of spring ball. Let me clue you in to something all those outside of the Big Sky, Montana is going to have their hands full to be the top team in the conference this year. Eastern Washington, Weber and Montana State all are poised to knock the mighty Griz from their perch this year. How about a poll on how many games will the Griz win in the Big Sky (I have yet to see that poll on either site)? The Big Sky is more than just Montana, especially this year.

That said, let me say that my team, Portland State, would win ZERO games if they played in the CAA this year. I don't really care about speculation of how many games the Griz would win in all the rest of the conferences. I'm only concerned with how many will they win in the Big Sky and if we are one of the teams to knock them off this year.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 14th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Depends where the games are played. If they are all played in Chattanooga, they would be in the CAA basement. If they are played at campus sites, they could probably win their fair share.

Jacked_Rabbit
May 14th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Depends where the games are played. If they are all played in Chattanooga, they would be in the CAA basement. If they are played at campus sites, they could probably win their fair share.

Great point! I'm not sure how many of you CAA folks have ever been to Mizzoula, MT, but I can promise you that it is not a welcoming environment for the away team. I've played in my fair share of FCS stadiums, as well as a couple FBS stadiums, and there is nothing like the crowd noise and atmosphere at the Griz's stadium.

I hate Montana just as much (if not more) than the next guy - see our 35 point playoff debacle last year - but their fans know how to stand up and SCREAM at the top of their lungs. Gotta give 'em credit for that.

HenZoneNation
May 15th, 2010, 06:10 AM
The guy starting all these ridiculous threads needs to be neg repped repeatedly.

Nova won't be in the top 3 of the CAA this season, so no, they wouldn't win the Socon. There, that should stir the pot a bit.

Unfortunetly you couldn't be more wrong...most of their core players from last year are back. They are the front runners to win the CAA and at this point, as much as it pains me to say, the front runner to win the NC...next year though they come back down to Earth...xnodx

Willie
May 15th, 2010, 11:17 AM
as i posted in another thread (and will continue to do so as long as the subject comes up [keep in mind i'm not the one bringing up this topic over and over] ).... Montana is 71-7 against non-CAA FCS-or-lower opponents dating back to 2004.

Yeah but they spanked your bottoms ON YOUR FIELD. I thought we couldn't win outside of Wa-Griz. ****, that must still sting.

HenZoneNation
May 15th, 2010, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE=Willie;1520690]Yeah but they spanked your bottoms ON YOUR FIELD. I thought we couldn't win outside of Wa-Griz. ****, that must still sting.[/QUO

I responded 7 wins. I respect Montana equally as I do Appy St. I think both would perform well in the conference year in and year out. I voted Appy St. to go .500 because of some big losses to graduation. Not to say that they can't have a great year, but losses that big are hard to overcome, especially if they were playing in a tough conference like the CAA. If saying the CAA is a tough conference is arrogant then so be it. I don't see why that would be but oh well. Montana this year returns their offensive work hourse. Their passing game will be hurt some with the graduation of Horn and Mariani...but Reynolds is a beast.

CopperCat
May 15th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Unfortunetly you couldn't be more wrong...most of their core players from last year are back. They are the front runners to win the CAA and at this point, as much as it pains me to say, the front runner to win the NC...next year though they come back down to Earth...xnodx

I think sarcasm is a hard think to pick up on when it is being written.......lesson learned.

UNH Fanboi
May 16th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Yeah but they spanked your bottoms ON YOUR FIELD. I thought we couldn't win outside of Wa-Griz. ****, that must still sting.

That's nice, but Montana's overall record in the playoffs outside of WaGriz is 2-8 on the road and 1-4 on neutral fields.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?t=64883

jmufan999
May 16th, 2010, 02:29 PM

couple things... first, you didn't "spank our bottoms", you won by 8. we went -4 in turnover differential and STILL were within 1 score of winning. which is really sad because with that kind of discrepancy, you should win by 30. oh and some player named Rodney Landers only played a half.... only one of the most talented players in school history. and STILL came within a score.

second, you're STILL 1-4. you can point out the one win if that makes you feel better. and i'll point out the 4 losses. and don't forget... it's four SEPARATE teams that beat you. it's not like some conferences where one team dominates (cough cough)... we had four different teams win over you in that span.

third, while one of those wins WAS over JMU, it was in a semifinal. you went on to get absolutely embarrassed by Richmond in the NC game. so i wouldn't be bragging about your 2008 year because it looked really, really ugly (and before someone says "well jmufan, why are YOU bragging about 2008?"... because i know some idiot will probably try to say that. i'm NOT bragging about JMU in 2008... i'm talking about the CAA vs. Montana as a whole and making points by using facts/stats).

fourth, don't forget that 1 of those 4 losses WAS to JMU in the 2004 National Championship Game. that we won by 10. so if you want to get technical about it, we're still up 2 points and have a national title in that span, whereas you have none.

fifth, i found a GLARING stat that is a common denominator when discussing Montana vs. CAA in the same time span:

CAA teams' rushing vs. Montana - 5.82 yards/carry
Montana rushing vs. CAA - 2.96 yards/carry

you can have your o-line be as big as mountains as they frequently are, but i'd say it might be time to try a different strategy. and as bad as your rushing offense has been, your rushing defense has been... well... you can see the stat.

when it comes to playing CAA teams, Montana has proved that they are NOT up to the challenge. 71-7..... 1-4 against the CAA.

Willie
May 16th, 2010, 03:56 PM
That's nice, but Montana's overall record in the playoffs outside of WaGriz is 2-8 on the road and 1-4 on neutral fields.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?t=64883
All I have to say to you, is that you are a UNH fan. That's all that needs to be said.

And jmufan999, the score doesn't mean anything when it comes to a curb stomping. JMU got completely dominated that night in front of everyone on ESPN. Deal with it.

jmufan999
May 16th, 2010, 04:34 PM
And jmufan999, the score doesn't mean anything when it comes to a curb stomping. JMU got completely dominated that night in front of everyone on ESPN. Deal with it.

JMU total yards: 419
Montana: 298

wouldn't say that's domination. we just fumbled the night away, lost our QB, and lost a totally non-JMU like game. it happens. App State could have beaten JMU in 2008, we could have beaten them in 2007 (where we outgained them by over 100 yards), and Furman easily could have beaten us in 2004 (they outgained us by 27 yards). crazy s**t happens sometimes. some App State fans might argue they outplayed Montana in last year's semifinal... hanging nearly 500 total yards. but that wasn't my point. i was simply saying that at least recently, Montana hasn't played very well against CAA teams.

UNH Fanboi
May 16th, 2010, 05:37 PM
All I have to say to you, is that you are a UNH fan. That's all that needs to be said.

Typical irrelevant smack talk. I'm well aware that Montana killed UNH several years ago. That doesn't change the fact that Montana's playoff record outside of WaGriz is unimpressive, which is the point I was responding to.

Willie
May 16th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Until teams make the playoffs every single year like the Griz do, Montana fans have the right to talk a little bit. Plain and simple.

tribefan40
May 16th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Until teams make the playoffs every single year like the Griz do, Montana fans have the right to talk a little bit. Plain and simple.

Seriously? The auto bid from the big sky conference? Two of your three playoff teams got drummed out in the first round last year, one 38-0 to the third place CAA team. Talk about depth. Point to your success in the playoffs, not the fact that you made it out of your conference.

BTW, shouldn't this be in smack?

Willie
May 16th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Seriously? The auto bid from the big sky conference? Two of your three playoff teams got drummed out in the first round last year, one 38-0 to the third place CAA team. Talk about depth. Point to your success in the playoffs, not the fact that you made it out of your conference.

If I wanted to listen to a bunch of crap, I'd fart. Seriously, this thread is a joke. Montana is easy to hate because of all the success. I get that. But some of you, wow.

Dignan
May 17th, 2010, 03:27 AM

This is what I've been trying to figure out with these threads... they'd fit in much better over there. We have one guy creating a bunch of threads like this and now everyone else is blaming the entire CAA.

I think these polls are pretty silly.

jmufan999
May 17th, 2010, 08:44 AM
and again, i didn't start this thread. i only responded to it.

edit: by the way, this defense of myself is not directed at anyone in particular. "just saying", as they say.

ThompsonThe
May 17th, 2010, 08:59 AM
With a large conference like the CAA there is always going to be some good team just about each year. With so many teams taking the lead in various years, it seems that some fans get hung up on "the conference" instead of their team.
There is a polar difference between the Big Sky and the CAA.
With Montana dominating the Big Sky year after year, you basically have one team going into the playoffs undefeated many times in conference play. That one team may have key injuries by that time of the year. When you have a CAA team take the title toward the end of the year, it is normally because that team is more whole, and less injured normally. Of course this is a generalization and doesn't always hold true, but can be a big factor since the chance of a CAA conference winner being less injured.

HenZoneNation
May 17th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I can't say that I agree with you on this one. I do see your point if it were in fact true if fans from CAA schools pooled together and universally cheered each other on. We don't, at leats not anymore than any other conference would. I would think it is fair to say that UD fans hate Nova and vice versa with the same passion that Elon/Appy fans and Montana/Montan St hate one another. When the playoffs come around there are certain schools you like better than others and I think every conference wants to see divisional opponents do well because it reflects well on their own season. But injuries are injuries and everyone has them. In 07 we basically lost our two best DE's and a few Oline members that cost a us an NC. It's just pasrt of the game. Montana has neither the advantage there nor a disadvantage.
The issue of East Coast Bias and Arrogance is a little out of control as well. There some people on this site that have an air of both about them but I find it hard to swallow when some one is presenting an arguement where facts are clearly being presented but because their team is part of the CAA the arguement is dismissed because of location or perceived arrogance.
Since 1996 only one team West of the Mississippi has won a National title and over the last 12 years all but one of those schools were in states that are considered East Coast. These are facts. It's not a taunt or insult, simply a fact.
Arrogance over one's conference, I can see some gripes about this. I've read posts about the West doesn't play defense or that any member of the CAA could dominate in the other conferences, that I didn't agree with at all. In my opion there are four major conferences and in any of those conferences, year in and year out, the top schools seem to do well in the playoffs. In certain cases it is generally the same school year in and year out, in other cases there is some paridy between schools. But to simply state "Bias" or Arrogance" in the place of facts is silly.

tribefan40
May 17th, 2010, 10:58 AM
With a large conference like the CAA there is always going to be some good team just about each year. With so many teams taking the lead in various years, it seems that some fans get hung up on "the conference" instead of their team.
There is a polar difference between the Big Sky and the CAA.
With Montana dominating the Big Sky year after year, you basically have one team going into the playoffs undefeated many times in conference play. That one team may have key injuries by that time of the year. When you have a CAA team take the title toward the end of the year, it is normally because that team is more whole, and less injured normally. Of course this is a generalization and doesn't always hold true, but can be a big factor since the chance of a CAA conference winner being less injured.

So a team cruising through its conference schedule is more injured and less rested than a group of teams fighting it out to the end? I can't say I follow you.xconfusedx

tribefan40
May 17th, 2010, 11:35 AM
If I wanted to listen to a bunch of crap, I'd fart. Seriously, this thread is a joke. Montana is easy to hate because of all the success. I get that. But some of you, wow.

First off, Great Response. If that's happening you should really see somebody about it or at least not strain so much. xsmhx Second, read the post, then respond. Third, this should really be in smack.

Silenoz
May 18th, 2010, 01:02 PM

Those losses were all in the semi-finals or finals. Against TOP 2 teams. And you wonder why there may be a discrepancy in our CAA and non-CAA stats xlolx

Why am I even posting this. This has all been done. CAA fans hate Montana, been there, done that.

jmufan999
May 18th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Those losses were all in the semi-finals or finals. Against TOP 2 teams. And you wonder why there may be a discrepancy in our CAA and non-CAA stats xlolx

Why am I even posting this. This has all been done. CAA fans hate Montana, been there, done that.

i can't speak for anyone else but i'm indifferent toward Montana... i don't know of many that hate Montana. it's not like we're going after the same recruits. most of us are just responding to the thread title, i didn't really read any "hate" in these responses.

i do have a valid argument against the "semi-finals or finals" argument but i'm just getting bored with this thread. but i might come back if someone re-stirs something up! not making any promises. :)

Silenoz
May 18th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Something about how CAA teams have to play "semi-finals or finals" quality teams week-in week-out? Or that the CAA teams that didn't manage to make it that far were still the 2nd or 3rd best team that year? Already heard it a million times before.

Alright, I also will stop bumping this thread in hopes that it dies

jmufan999
May 18th, 2010, 06:40 PM
haha, nothing really like that. i'll send you a PM, Silenoz.

JohnStOnge
May 18th, 2010, 06:54 PM
If Montana could take the teams it has year and in year out as they are and play in the CAA Montana would be the strongest program in that league in terms of consistent year to year success. It might not win the league every year like it wins the Big Sky; and I emphasize the "might not." But it would be by far the class of the league.

UNH Fanboi
May 18th, 2010, 09:15 PM
If Montana could take the teams it has year and in year out as they are and play in the CAA Montana would be the strongest program in that league in terms of consistent year to year success. It might not win the league every year like it wins the Big Sky; and I emphasize the "might not." But it would be by far the class of the league.

I agree with the first part, but not the emphasis on "might not." If you could magically take Montana's team each year and have them play a CAA schedule (and assume that they could recruit for the next year like they're still and Montana and won the Big Sky title yet again), I agree that they would be the most consistent team, but there's no way they would average more than 1 CAA title every 4 years. I think Montana's results against the top CAA's teams in recent years is plenty of evidence for that.

In college football, success breeds success, and Montana has the benefit of having established itself as the premier FCS program in its region. On the East Coast it's much harder to any one team to establish itself like Montana has because there's so much more competition for recruits and conference titles.

Willie
May 18th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I agree with the first part, but not the emphasis on "might not." If you could magically take Montana's team each year and have them play a CAA schedule (and assume that they could recruit for the next year like they're still and Montana and won the Big Sky title yet again), I agree that they would be the most consistent team, but there's no way they would average more than 1 CAA title every 4 years. I think Montana's results against the top CAA's teams in recent years is plenty of evidence for that.

In college football, success breeds success, and Montana has the benefit of having established itself as the premier FCS program in its region. On the East Coast it's much harder to any one team to establish itself like Montana has because there's so much more competition for recruits and conference titles.

Yeah because Montana is the only FCS team W of the Mississippi. xnutsx

Proud Griz Man
May 18th, 2010, 11:49 PM
I

xbangx Wasn't your quarterback from Mission Viejo California?

Montana has played at Maine, Hofstra, McNeese St., Sam Houston St., North Texas, Northern Iowa, UC Davis, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Montana has played at Washington State, Oregon State, Oregon, Fresno State, Iowa, Wyoming, and Kansas State.
Somehow the internet myth persists that Montana plays only home games and annually goes undefeated in the Big Sky Conference.

xchinscratchx Competition in the East? Maybe there is more FCS-quality talent right in your backyard?