PDA

View Full Version : Early stadium expansion plans for JMU

blur2005
January 5th, 2006, 02:14 PM
JMU is planning on expanding Bridgeforth Stadium, hopefully to over 20,000 seats.

James Madison officials have big dreams for Bridgeforth Stadium. But JMU vice president Charlie King cautioned Wednesday that those dreams are a long way from becoming a reality.

Gov. Mark Warner’s proposed 2006-08 budget includes a $10 million expenditure for expansions and improvements to Bridgeforth Stadium. That budget still needs to be approved by the state legislature and then signed by incoming Gov. Tim Kaine.

If that happens – as appears likely -- King said JMU would hire an architect in July, when the new budget becomes effective, to explore the possibilities for expanding the stadium to more than 20,000 seats.

Moderator Edit: Link (http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=2360&CHID=3) to story.

(Please do not copy articles in full as this is a violation of copyright. Copying the first few paragraphs and providing a link to the story is an acceptable alternative. Thank you.)

JMU2004
January 5th, 2006, 05:30 PM
nice to know that we should be seating 25,000 with luxury boxes and a new press box by 2010.

Glad to see this FINALLY made public

Catmendue2
January 5th, 2006, 06:26 PM
JMU is planning on expanding Bridgeforth Stadium, hopefully to over 20,000 seats.

Moderator Edit: Link (http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=2360&CHID=3) to story.

(Please do not copy articles in full as this is a violation of copyright. Copying the first few paragraphs and providing a link to the story is an acceptable alternative. Thank you.)

What is the capacity now?

GAD
January 5th, 2006, 06:34 PM
After winning the National Title how much did season ticket sales go up?

th0m
January 5th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Current capacity is around 14,000.

Concerning season ticket sales: I don't know what the total sales were, but in May '05 2,300 tickets were sold for the '05 season, which was a record at that time. All games were sold out.

Reported capacity in '05:

9/3/05 Lock Haven 14673 Season Opener
9/17/05 Delaware State 13645 Duke Club Day
10/8/05 Maine 15087 Family Weekend
10/29/05 Richmond 15124 Homecoming
11/12/05 Villanova 10984
11/19/05 Towson 11635 Take a Kid to the Game Day

Average: 13525

JMU2004
January 5th, 2006, 06:57 PM
After winning the National Title how much did season ticket sales go up?

I think we ended at about 4000 season tix

Tod
January 5th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Cool! Congrats JMU!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

blur2005
January 5th, 2006, 08:39 PM
That hasn't stopped people recently...anyway, I put copyright at the bottom. Just thought I'd point that out.

Chi Panther
January 5th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Congrats!!!....Keep the program growing.....and growing...... :nod: :hyped:

bandl
January 6th, 2006, 08:39 AM

I have to ask....where are they going to put a parking lot for those extra few thousand cars??? Is the parking situation down there still a major biatch of a problem? I graduated right before JMU started building the parking garage, so maybe it's all changed and parking isn't an issue anymore.

JMU Duke Dog
January 6th, 2006, 09:19 AM
I have to ask....where are they going to put a parking lot for those extra few thousand cars??? Is the parking situation down there still a major biatch of a problem? I graduated right before JMU started building the parking garage, so maybe it's all changed and parking isn't an issue anymore.

JMU is going to build another parking garage in connection to the new $50 million Arts Center that is going to be built on Main Street across from the Quad.

http://caal.jmu.edu/images/ArtCenter.jpg

It wouldn't be right next to Bridgeforth Stadium but with the new stadium capacity of 25,000 to 30,000 all possible parking spots will be helpful.

igo4uni
January 6th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Very nice.

th0m
January 6th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Hey I hadn't seen that pic of the Arts Center yet. Do you have any more where that came from, Duke Dog?

rufus
January 6th, 2006, 05:31 PM
The parking situation will also be helped by the 2 large parking garages and the surface lots on the hospital complex, which JMU recently purchased. JMU doesn't take possession of the hospital complex until construction of the new hospital is completed at another site (probably 2008-2009). The new art center and the hospital will bring us to a total of 4 parking garages. Just past the art center there is additional parking at the old Harrisonburg High School and its athletic facilities (which JMU also acquired). JMU has also discussed tearing down the old Howard Johnson hotel that was acquired several years ago to build additional parking lots/garage. We'll be ok on the parking front.

I'm definitely excited to see the skecthes of the expanded stadium when they are released.

JMU2004
January 6th, 2006, 09:38 PM
think its a coincidence that ASU and JMU are planning similiar expansions? Or that ASU and JMU admins keep in close contact?

hmm........

th0m
January 7th, 2006, 04:15 AM
I don't think it's coincidence. Besides, ASU are in a more advanced stage with their expansion, at least they have some concrete plans already. Though, we already have an APC ;)