PDA

View Full Version : Georgia State @ Alabama 11/20?????

Redbird Ray
May 3rd, 2010, 09:15 AM
I was just reading through Georgia State's schedule for this year and noticed they have a game at Alabama this season. WHAT???? HUH???? I know Bill Curry has connections there, but does this sound completely insane to anyone else?

First of all, shame on Alabama for even letting this game be scheduled this year. That's pretty low. If Bama wanted an easy FCS game, I could think of about 100 FCS schools who have fielded teams for more than a couple months who would have moved dates to get to play Bama.

Second, a team that opens the season against Shorter College (wherever the hell that is), has no business playing the defending FBS national champion in the same season. I hope Bama, and the SEC, get ripped hard for this one. What a joke.

Franks Tanks
May 3rd, 2010, 09:21 AM
Old News my friend. Virtually everyone i've heard comment on this game has the same reaction as you do.

As you know Bill Curry was the former head coach of Alabama. He really wanted the game, and GSU wanted the money, but its not good for their players.

Redbirdz
May 3rd, 2010, 10:37 AM
The same thing applies to the Jacksonville State game. This will be a big load for GSU, a first year program.

Jacksonville is looking to recuit in the Atlanta market and that is the sole reason it is coming over there.

Franks Tanks
May 3rd, 2010, 10:49 AM
Yup, at least Jacksonville has been a competitive FCS program for many years.

bluehenbillk
May 3rd, 2010, 11:16 AM
If Alabama doesn't score 140 they should drop in the rankings that week.

Redbird Ray
May 3rd, 2010, 11:26 AM
Right, I was thinking even games against established FCS teams like JSU would be a world of hurt for Georgia State, but Alabama is just ridiculous. I hope Saban has the presence of mind to rest his starters after a few series.

I'm sure this is old news, but I just couldn't believe it when I saw this. It will be good to see most of the starter programs finally getting on the field this year. It's almost like a mini-conference of start-ups between Georgia State, South Alabama, Old Dominion, and Lamar. I think they all play each other this season. Maybe next year they can add UTSA.

DFW HOYA
May 3rd, 2010, 12:03 PM
No matter the score, playing Alabama will do more to build interest for GSU football than any games against Webber International or Savannah State.

SaintDK10
May 3rd, 2010, 01:47 PM
Old News my friend. Virtually everyone i've heard comment on this game has the same reaction as you do.

As you know Bill Curry was the former head coach of Alabama. He really wanted the game, and GSU wanted the money, but its not good for their players.
I assure you, Curry didn't "want" this game. At least not this soon. Here is an excerpt from an ESPN article from last year that probably says it better than I could:

It was a joke. Surely, it had to be. "It's our first year!" Bill Curry said into his BlackBerry. "No. We're not doing that."

It was February and the 67-year-old Georgia State coach, taking a break from Grandparents' Day at Sarah Smith Elementary School, near his Atlanta home, was talking to Bill McDonald, an associate athletic director at Alabama. McDonald had worked with Curry throughout the 1980s, at both Georgia Tech and Bama, but what he had just said seemed ridiculous. He wanted Curry's newborn Georgia State Panthers, who don't even start playing until next season, to plan a trip to Tuscaloosa and play the resurgent Crimson Tide.

"When is the game?" Curry asked.

"Nov. 20, 2010," McDonald replied.

"Come on," Curry told him. "Let's talk about 2012 or 2013."

"Nope. Take it or leave it."

"You can't be serious about this. We have mostly freshmen. Just give me another year, at least."

"Can't do it."

So Curry said goodbye and thought for a while. An FCS Year 1 against a possible FBS No. 1? He called each of his assistant coaches and asked them for their honest opinions. He called the brand-new GSU athletic director, Cheryl Levick. He even called the president of the university, Mark Becker, who asked his coach only one question: Did Curry know what he was going to say to the young Panthers in the locker room should things not go well? Yes, Curry knew. He told Becker about the first time, as a Packer rookie in 1965, that he tried to block future Hall of Fame linebacker Ray Nitschke in practice. Nitschke broke Curry's face mask, broke his nose, knocked him out cold. And Curry, the upstart, eventually had to get up and decide if he really wanted to try and block Nitschke, the star, again. He did.

Still, Curry agonized for a full week, misgivings popping up in his mind. He didn't worry that he'd be bringing lambs to the slaughter, but he knew there would be questions. "If we do this, there's going to be a lot of controversy" Curry told Becker. "But the criticism is going to be directed at me."

But the GSU staff was unanimously behind the idea, and his bosses supported it too. Curry's wife, Carolyn, also reminded him that in their six decades together they'd never passed on "brutally difficult tasks." Ultimately, he simply couldn't pass up the chance without feeling like he'd backed away from Nitschke. And so it is that the Panthers will begin their very first season of college football against local NAIA program Shorter College and end it against the Alabama Crimson Tide.

Franks Tanks
May 3rd, 2010, 01:51 PM
I assure you, Curry didn't "want" this game. At least not this soon. Here is an excerpt from an ESPN article from last year that probably says it better than I could:

Point taken. He didnt want or seek the game, but it appears the decision to take the game was ultimately his.

Hammer22
May 4th, 2010, 12:47 PM
No matter the score, playing Alabama will do more to build interest for GSU football than any games against Webber International or Savannah State.

+1

The Cats
May 6th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Ultimately, he simply couldn't pass up the chance without feeling like he'd backed away from Nitschke. xbangx

Not even close to being the same coach.

SaintDK10
May 6th, 2010, 03:01 PM
xbangx

Not even close to being the same coach.
Oh look, it's the guy whose school had a whopping 500 people in attendance for the spring game this year, LOL!!!

The Cats
May 10th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Upcoming victory over Georgia State has potential to embarrass Alabama
By Randy Kennedy
May 09, 2010, 8:00AM

Alabama football is staring straight at an embarrassment in 2010 and, yes, the danger involves one of the eight teams that enjoy an off week before facing the Crimson Tide.

On Oct. 7, 1916, Georgia Tech beat Cumberland 222-0 in the most lopsided college football game ever. Alabama won't beat Georgia State that bad. You have to really want to humiliate your opponent to score a touchdown every two minutes for an entire game. But if you examine the rosters, you have to wonder whether Houston's 100-6 squeaker over Tulsa in 1968 -- the modern record for the worst defeat -- might be in jeopardy.

So Saban is likely going to be faced with the choice of dominating until the final whistle while playing the backups to his backups or kneeling on the ball beginning in the third quarter to keep the score in the 70-0 range.

http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2010/05/upcoming_victory_over_georgia.html

SaintDK10
May 10th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Upcoming victory over Georgia State has potential to embarrass Alabama
By Randy Kennedy
May 09, 2010, 8:00AM

Alabama football is staring straight at an embarrassment in 2010 and, yes, the danger involves one of the eight teams that enjoy an off week before facing the Crimson Tide.

http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2010/05/upcoming_victory_over_georgia.html
Oh look, it's STILL the same guy whose school had 500 in attendance for the spring game, LOL!!!!

TheBisonator
May 10th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Several years ago, Western Illinois beat Cheyney State (PA) 98-7. I remember looking at it on the ESPN ticker and doing a double take. Maybe a possible 98-7 type game in store for the Tide??

The Cats
May 10th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Oh look, it's STILL the same guy whose school had 500 in attendance for the spring game, LOL!!!!

and that has what to do with the article I posted?

Either scenario would be a black eye for both teams and college football. It makes you wonder what would be wrong with beating Samford or Georgia Southern by 50 points instead of risking a potential embarrassment against a program that has no business being on the field with the national champions.

SaintDK10
May 10th, 2010, 10:03 PM
and that has what to do with the article I posted?
Oh look, the guy's whose school had 500 in attendance for the spring game still keeps posting, LOL!!!

TheBisonator
May 10th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Oh look, the guy's whose school had 500 in attendance for the spring game still keeps posting, LOL!!!

Is that the only card you have in your hand? Seriously? Spring game attendance?? WEAK.

The Cats
May 11th, 2010, 09:26 AM
That certainly seems to be his only card, doesn't seem to want to address the article I posted about the 'bama game for sure.

SaintDK10
May 11th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Is that the only card you have in your hand? Seriously? Spring game attendance?? WEAK.
Oh no, I could go for something much funnier, like the fact that the best season for Western Carolina in recent memory consisted of a total of 3 wins, or that the overall record for the last four years is 7-37, or that they play in a glorified high school stadium, etc.

But no, the reason I keep referring to their spring game attendance is because aside from having an unhealthy fixation toward Georgia State, this clown made the following post a while back about GSU's attendance:

Putting in 4 to 5K (optimistic estimate) in a 72k stadium (no matter how many curtains are brought in) will actually hurt more than help both the game environment and recruiting. I actually think it will be embarrassing for the team.

Maybe he meant 4 to 5K is an optimistic estimate for a spring game, LOL! Of course, he tired to backpedal and say that his post was about about "how" pathetic our crowds will look in the Georgia Dome, not how many people we will draw, to which I say: if you really want to talk about "how" pathetic a crowd looks in ANY stadium, look no further than the laughable attendance of 500 for a spring game at Western Carolina Junior College.xlolxxlolxxlolx

DFW HOYA
May 11th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Houston and Tulsa? Ah, but we forget Portland State 105, Delaware State 0...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1356&dat=19801110&id=AagkAAAAIBAJ&sjid=pwUEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5479,5209607

Eaglesrus
May 11th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Oh no, I could go for something much funnier, like the fact that the best season for Western Carolina in recent memory consisted of a total of 3 wins, or that the overall record for the last four years is 7-37, or that they play in a glorified high school stadium, etc.

Please remind us of what GA State's football team's best record has been and what the overall record has been the last four years. Do you have any idea how ridiculous it looks for you to make fun of another team when your's hasn't played a down? Probably not as ridiculous now as it will in four years, but ridiculous nevertheless.

SaintDK10
May 11th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Please remind us of what GA State's football team's best record has been and what the overall record has been the last four years. Do you have any idea how ridiculous it looks for you to make fun of another team when your's hasn't played a down? Probably not as ridiculous now as it will in four years, but ridiculous nevertheless.
Almost as ridiculous as a fan of one of the worst FCS teams in the country attempting to make fun of a program that hasn't even gotten a chance to prove itself.

And hey, I understand. Being a Western Carolina fan these days must be miserable, so he has to find ways to put down a start-up program in order to make himself feel better. I mean, he can't put down any other FCS team right now because anyone who has fielded a team with even marginal Division II players is likely better than the sad product Western Carolina has been putting out lately.

But look, if you're going to spend your waking life ***** talking about GSU, then you have to back up the talk. This guy was making some pretty hilarious garbage comments about how our attendance is going to suck. But if you take Western Carolina spring game attendance and multiply it by six, you still won't get to the number of fans that showed up for GSU's first ever spring scrimmage. So while I find his infatuation with our program amusing, I really don't see why I can't call him out on his own comments, right?

WMTribe90
May 11th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Horrible choice by Coach Curry. He should have said thanks, but no thanks. I don't care what the final score reads, but when you pit physically immature 18 and 19 year olds with a maximum of one year in the program against FBS players with four years of college weight training, you are risking the well being of your players for money and exposure. Playing DII, non-schollie FCS and other start-ups is plenty challening enough for a program in its first season.

McNeese75
May 11th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Horrible choice by Coach Curry. He should have said thanks, but no thanks. I don't care what the final score reads, but when you pit physically immature 18 and 19 year olds with a maximum of one year in the program against FBS players with four years of college weight training, you are risking the well being of your players for money and exposure. Playing DII, non-schollie FCS and other start-ups is plenty challening enough for a program in its first season.

BUT, they will get a lot of press and may even make the record books xwhistlex

The Cats
May 12th, 2010, 09:38 AM
This guy was making some pretty hilarious garbage comments about how our attendance is going to suck. But if you take Western Carolina spring game attendance and multiply it by six, you still won't get to the number of fans that showed up for GSU's first ever spring scrimmage. So while I find his infatuation with our program amusing, I really don't see why I can't call him out on his own comments, right?

If you are going to spout crap, at least spout true crap. I never made ANY garbage comments about how Ga State attendance was going to "suck"; I did however make several comments about however many fans you did bring into the Ga Dome, would ridiculous they would look in a "72K stadium". Get your facts correct.

Also, if you want to talk junk about our stadium, I'd advise you to visit first - we do have an on campus stadium, which we own - in the most beautiful location in the NC mountains - and just put up a 500K+ video board.

GATA
May 12th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Almost as ridiculous as a fan of one of the worst FCS teams in the country attempting to make fun of a program that hasn't even gotten a chance to prove itself.

And hey, I understand. Being a Western Carolina fan these days must be miserable, so he has to find ways to put down a start-up program in order to make himself feel better. I mean, he can't put down any other FCS team right now because anyone who has fielded a team with even marginal Division II players is likely better than the sad product Western Carolina has been putting out lately.

But look, if you're going to spend your waking life ***** talking about GSU, then you have to back up the talk. This guy was making some pretty hilarious garbage comments about how our attendance is going to suck. But if you take Western Carolina spring game attendance and multiply it by six, you still won't get to the number of fans that showed up for GSU's first ever spring scrimmage. So while I find his infatuation with our program amusing, I really don't see why I can't call him out on his own comments, right?

I have to agree with this one.

I'll be ****ed if I let Western Carolina fans diss my program...even if we just started.

SaintDK10
May 12th, 2010, 08:35 PM
If you are going to spout crap, at least spout true crap. I never made ANY garbage comments about how Ga State attendance was going to "suck"; I did however make several comments about however many fans you did bring into the Ga Dome, would ridiculous they would look in a "72K stadium". Get your facts correct.

Also, if you want to talk junk about our stadium, I'd advise you to visit first - we do have an on campus stadium, which we own - in the most beautiful location in the NC mountains - and just put up a 500K+ video board.
LOL, this can't get any more absurd. I just quoted your post from a few months ago in which you stated:

Putting in 4 to 5K (optimistic estimate) in a 72k stadium (no matter how many curtains are brought in) will actually hurt more than help both the game environment and recruiting. I actually think it will be embarrassing for the team.

Here is the link to the thread as well: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?t=64923&page=14

No matter how you try to slice it, dice it, spin it, or backpedal from it, everyone on this board can see plain as day that you said that putting 5K people in the Dome would be an "optimistic estimate." You own words chief. We put 3,200 people in the seats for the spring game alone, and the guy whose school barely mustered 500 should not be talking to ANYONE about their football attendance, let alone a start-up that dwarfed your spring outing by 640%.

So you keep scavenging the internet for articles by some Auburn fan that talks about how the defending FBS champion will badly beat a start-up, because the only thing you have left in your miserable life as a Western Carolina fan is to bank that others don't succeed. And hey, as a Western Carolina fan, you have to be excited right now. Come September, it's all down hill.xlolxxlolxxlolx

The Cats
May 13th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I have to agree with this one.

I'll be ****ed if I let Western Carolina fans diss my program...even if we just started.

Can't wait until you bring your triple option to Cullowhee this year. xthumbsupx

The Cats
May 13th, 2010, 09:20 AM

What a dumba$$... you keep posting that quote, but fail to say the 4 to 5k estimate was NOT my estimate.

I just called it optomistic. And I still call it optimistic.....and still say it will look ridiculious in a 72k stadium - even if you have 10-15k . Had you gone for a stadium that seated 20 or 30k, that would be a nice crowd for you. I got 20 bucks that say you won't play in the Ga Dome more than one season.

tribefan40
May 13th, 2010, 10:22 AM
LOL, this can't get any more absurd. I just quoted your post from a few months ago in which you stated:

Here is the link to the thread as well: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?t=64923&page=14

No matter how you try to slice it, dice it, spin it, or backpedal from it, everyone on this board can see plain as day that you said that putting 5K people in the Dome would be an "optimistic estimate." You own words chief. We put 3,200 people in the seats for the spring game alone, and the guy whose school barely mustered 500 should not be talking to ANYONE about their football attendance, let alone a start-up that dwarfed your spring outing by 640%.

So you keep scavenging the internet for articles by some Auburn fan that talks about how the defending FBS champion will badly beat a start-up, because the only thing you have left in your miserable life as a Western Carolina fan is to bank that others don't succeed. And hey, as a Western Carolina fan, you have to be excited right now. Come September, it's all down hill.xlolxxlolxxlolx

Ease up on the trash buddy your program hasn't played a down yet. I assure you things will be rough for GAST at least the first couple years in real FCS competition, particularly in a conference like the CAA. xpeacex

SaintDK10
May 13th, 2010, 12:47 PM
What a dumba$$... you keep posting that quote, but fail to say the 4 to 5k estimate was NOT my estimate.

I just called it optomistic. And I still call it optimistic.....and still say it will look ridiculious in a 72k stadium - even if you have 10-15k . Had you gone for a stadium that seated 20 or 30k, that would be a nice crowd for you. I got 20 bucks that say you won't play in the Ga Dome more than one season.
LMAO!!! The only dubma$$ here is the guy who keeps denying and backpedaling from a post that's obvious even to an infant, LOL! By now you have made yourself look so stupid it's beyond comprehension. It wasn't your estimate? Whose was it chief? Your evil twin? And you just called it optimistic? Numbskull, that actually implies you thought it would be even less than 4-5K.

This is just too funny. Why don't you just quit while you're behind. You know, kind of like Western Carolina football team does every game.

You want to bet $20 GSU will not play in the Dome more than one season? Done! Heck, I'll put $2,000 on that one.