PDA

View Full Version : More I-AA games for the ACC

colgate13
May 5th, 2005, 07:18 AM
More I-AA games for ACC (http://www.augustafreepress.com/stories/storyReader$34029)

"James Madison played at West Virginia last fall. William & Mary put an upset scale in eventual bowl participant North Carolina.

To hear Wake Forest athletics director Ron Wellman tell it, you'll be seeing JMU and the Tribe and other I-AA teams on I-A schedules more and more in the coming years.

"You're going to see more I-AA institutions on the I-A schedules, particularly in those geographic areas, like the ACC and the SEC, where there are good I-AA conferences," Wellman said on last week's "ACC Nation" radio show, assessing the impact of the NCAA's move to extend the I-A regular season from 11 games to 12 beginning in 2006."

That sounds good to me... except the next sentence is

"Schools looking to flesh out their schedules are going to look a division below to try to pad their won-loss records."

God I love I-A upsets.

NEZ
May 5th, 2005, 08:10 AM
In 2008 we start the year at Maryland. Sure would be nice to knock off an ACC school.

TypicalTribe
May 5th, 2005, 08:18 AM
In 2008 we start the year at Maryland. Sure would be nice to knock off an ACC school.

I believe W&M is playing Maryland in the 2006 opener.

TexasTerror
May 5th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Any I-AA schools have Duke on the schedule? That could be a win for an I-AA school. Any win over a Big XII, SEC, ACC, Big Ten or Pac-10 school is great for I-AA. I don't care if it be Duke, Baylor, Indiana or whomever...

89Hen
May 5th, 2005, 08:35 AM
I'll have to ask around here. I thought I had heard that Villanova had a game coming up at Maryland and I know it's not this year. HUGE opening game this year with Maryland/Navy in Baltimore. There's some bad blood and the two haven't met in a long time. I'll be pulling hard for the Mids against the Twerps.

ISUMatt
May 5th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Any I-AA schools have Duke on the schedule? That could be a win for an I-AA school. Any win over a Big XII, SEC, ACC, Big Ten or Pac-10 school is great for I-AA. I don't care if it be Duke, Baylor, Indiana or whomever...

Indiana St played Indiana in 2003 and lost 33-3
William & Mary played Indiana in 2002 and lost 25-17
The Citadel played Duke on 2004 and lost 28-10
Western Carolina played DUke in 2003 and lost 29-3
Texas St played Baylor in 2004 and lost 24-17
Sam Houston ST played Baylor in 2003 and lost 27-6

In 2005...
9/10- Nicholls State @ Indiana
9/10- Samford @ Baylor
9/17- VMI @ Duke

JMU Duke Dog
May 5th, 2005, 09:25 AM
The JMU Dukes will play at Duke in 2008. As long as we stay consistently strong, we shot a decent shot of knocking off this usual cellar dweller of the ACC.

JMU Duke Dog
May 5th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Isn't W&M playing at Virginia Tech in either 2006 or 2007?

TexasTerror
May 5th, 2005, 10:00 AM
SHSU is playing the University of Houston on September 10th and then turns around to play Texas Tech in Lubbock the following weekend. That's back to back I-A games for the Kats.

89Hen
May 5th, 2005, 10:06 AM
I'll have to ask around here. I thought I had heard that Villanova had a game coming up at Maryland and I know it's not this year. HUGE opening game this year with Maryland/Navy in Baltimore.
Well, first word from a guy who goes to every Terp public team function is that Maryland, in order to fill the 12th game is close to agreeing with a team from "fun city" on a two for one deal. We have no idea what "fun city" is, but our only guess was UNLV.

BTW, W&M at VT in 2007. Right now VT is only showing at Ohio and Kent State for 2006, so there will be two additional games there and I'd have to believe with them already having one road OOC game, they'll be looking to fill in with two home games.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 5th, 2005, 10:47 AM
It's sometimes easy to forget Boston College is now an ACC team too... for their OOC game you would think N'eastern or UMass would be a shoo-in.

Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland... all ripe for I-AA deals. Though, it sounds lie they've already got these games lined up.

89Hen
May 5th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland... all ripe for I-AA deals. Though, it sounds lie they've already got these games lined up.
Plenty of openings with the 12th game coming up. The only ones taken up are VT in 2007 (W&M), Maryland in 2008 (Delaware) and possibly 2006 (W&M). No I-A is going to schedule two I-AA's in the same year. I don't think UVA has any I-AA's on the books yet. They had their fill with Richmond several years ago when the Spiders were a missed PAT away from tying the game late in the fourth. :eek: The only rumors I've heard about UVA OOC is a possible home and home with Pitt.

JMU Duke Dog
May 5th, 2005, 01:06 PM
In the near future UVA should schedule JMU to play in Charlottesville. The schools are only an hour apart and would sellout due to the JMU crowd. JMU students really want to see this scheduled so that if the Dukes could somehow pull off the upset then they would have bragging rights over their snobby Wahoo friends.

mainejeff
May 5th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Maine plays at Nebraska in 2005 and Boston College in 2006. The SEC, Big 12, and ACC in consecutive years for the Black Bears :eek: .

colgate13
May 5th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Maine plays at Nebraska in 2005 and Boston College in 2006. The SEC, Big 12, and ACC in consecutive years for the Black Bears :eek: .
cha-ching!

NEZ
May 5th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Maine showed well last year by beating SEC Miss St., I'll be pulling for them to knock
off Nebraska this year. Seems to be a tougher task then Miss St. but not impossible.

WUTNDITWAA
May 5th, 2005, 09:58 PM
To hear Wake Forest athletics director Ron Wellman tell it, you'll be seeing JMU and the Tribe and other I-AA teams on I-A schedules more and more in the coming years.

"You're going to see more I-AA institutions on the I-A schedules, particularly in those geographic areas, like the ACC and the SEC, where there are good I-AA conferences," Wellman said on last week's "ACC Nation" radio show, assessing the impact of the NCAA's move to extend the I-A regular season from 11 games to 12 beginning in 2006."

Okay...This coming from a school that spent four years trying to end their series with Appalachian. Doubt we'll see the Deacs on our schedule any time soon. Too bad too, many years we provided their best gate.

Husky Alum
May 6th, 2005, 06:54 AM
The College of Chestnut Hill recently has indicated it would play local 1-AA teams, as indicated by playing NU in 1999 and UMass last year.

NU lost 33-22 and UMass played BC close, which would lead me to believe that if they wanted a competitive 1-AA game, NU and UMass would be likely candidates, BUT CCH doesn't want the embarassment, so they turned to Maine.

89Hen
May 6th, 2005, 09:07 AM
In the near future UVA should schedule JMU to play in Charlottesville. The schools are only an hour apart and would sellout due to the JMU crowd. JMU students really want to see this scheduled so that if the Dukes could somehow pull off the upset then they would have bragging rights over their snobby Wahoo friends.
When Groh came on board, he definitely changed the way UVA schedules OOC games. They went from playing Michigan, Texas, Auburn, Penn State.... to Akron, Temple, Troy.... he figured that an OOC loss is worse than a weak SOS in the grand scheme of things, plus they could get 2-1 or even 2-0 deals and more games in C'ville. However, they did say that they didn't have any desire to schedule I-AA's, but with a 12th game and I-AA's counting every year, I could see them going back on that strategy.

mainejeff
May 6th, 2005, 11:25 AM
NU Alum.....quite delusional you are. First off, why would BC schedule NU or UMass again so soon after their recent meetings? BC fans would have a fit over a steady diet of the same I-AA teams over and over and over again. They probably aren't too excited about Maine either, but I guarantee that Maine is not seen as a weaker opponent than UMass or especially NU. Maine will have a senior QB (Whitcomb) in 2006, so I seriously doubt that NU could give them a tougher game than Maine will.

ysuindy
May 6th, 2005, 11:03 PM
The JMU Dukes will play at Duke in 2008. As long as we stay consistently strong, we shot a decent shot of knocking off this usual cellar dweller of the ACC.

Why do I have a feeling that if JMU stays strong, Duke will find a way to get out of this game? Seems like the lower tier BCS teams and the MAC schools play only I-AA schools that are not playoff contenders.

Look at the listing of schools further up in this post that Indiana and Duke beat. At the time, they were not strong I-AA teams.

DTSpider
May 6th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Richmond has the BCS bottom feeders coming up. Vandy in 2005 & 2007 and Duke in 2006.

It'll be a long time before UVA plays another A10 team. Al Groh's home opener was the UR game in 2001 in which UVA escaped 17-16 when Richmond choked at the end. Othen than UVA it makes sense for most of the ACC schools to pick up an A10 or SoCon game as those conferences should prive decent competition and are local.

89Hen
May 9th, 2005, 11:19 AM
It'll be a long time before UVA plays another A10 team.... Othen than UVA it makes sense for most of the ACC schools to pick up an A10 or SoCon game as those conferences should prive decent competition and are local.
I had already mentioned and agree that UVA has probably had their fill of Richmond because of that game, but your last comment makes no sense. Why would it make sense for UNC or Wake or Maryland... to pick up an A10/SoCon game but not UVA? Because of that one close win? If that's the case then UNC shouldn't because they really should have lost to W&M last year and they did lose to Furman in 1999. Wake has lost to AppSt several times. Klempson has had some close calls with Fuman and AppSt. Maryland struggled with JMU a few years back....

purduecrum
May 9th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Indiana St played Indiana in 2003 and lost 33-3
William & Mary played Indiana in 2002 and lost 25-17

In 2005...
9/10- Nicholls State @ Indiana

I truly believe that Indiana could finish in the top half of the Gateway on a regular basis. They might even win the Gateway every 3-5 years. :)

WMTribe90
May 9th, 2005, 12:48 PM
UR is too young this year, but should give Duke and Vandy all they can handle the next two years. I'd be surprised if UR didn't win one of the two.

charliej
May 9th, 2005, 07:01 PM
I'll have to ask around here. I thought I had heard that Villanova had a game coming up at Maryland and I know it's not this year.

There was talk of a Nova/Maryland game but I don't think it was ever confirmed.I know we go to Auburn in '07 :eek: and WV is penciled in for '08

edit: FWIW, A poster on the VU board has Nova @ Maryland in '06.

mikebigg
May 9th, 2005, 07:34 PM

I think you guys can pull it off. Actually, I think more of Delaware as a football school than I do Maryland. Good luck!

Tribe4SF
May 9th, 2005, 08:27 PM
I think you guys can pull it off. Actually, I think more of Delaware as a football school than I do Maryland. Good luck!

Odds of any of us beating decent ACC schools are very long. Tribe gave UNC a scare last year, but couldn't hold them off in the 4th. Speed and depth almost always does in the I-AAs when facing even mediocre I-As. Maine beat Miss. St. last year, but they weren't mediocre, they were terrible. I-AA can beat schools like Rutgers, Temple, Arkansas St. and a few others with regularity. Tribe has a shot at Marshall this year, as they are rebuilding big time.

Lapper
May 9th, 2005, 09:46 PM
I think the Citadel beat both Arkansas and South Carolina a loooong time ago. Believe me they will talk and talk and talk about it. Both schools have failed to set a rematch. :confused: ;)

SoCon48
May 9th, 2005, 09:49 PM
"even mediocre I-A's."
App has beaten Wake 7 times and tied them another. Also beat U of S Carolina.
Furman and Citadel have beaten and/or scared H out of several I-A's.

Tribe4SF
May 10th, 2005, 06:09 AM
"even mediocre I-A's."
App has beaten Wake 7 times and tied them another. Also beat U of S Carolina.
Furman and Citadel have beaten and/or scared H out of several I-A's.

Of course if we go back some, W&M has beaten many I-As. After all, we used to be I-A. Our last really big win was over UVA in the 80s. We've been close many times, but that's usually the case when a good I-AA plays a pretty good I-A.

SoCon48
May 10th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Most of App's wins over Wake were while ASU was I-AA and all were at Wake. Losing to Auburn on the Tiger's turf in the last minute was in '99 BTW.