PDA

View Full Version : How many would App St win playing in the CAA

jstclmet
April 28th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Starting with App, we can do the same Poll with the other 09 Conference winners, but compare them to the 2010 teams.

How many CAA games do you think App would win if they had to play all 10 CAA schools

AppAlum2003
April 28th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Starting with App, we can do the same Poll with the other 09 Conference winners, but compare them to the 2010 teams.

How many CAA games do you think App would win if they had to play all 10 CAA schools

Oh, you mean something that the current CAA schools don't even have to do?

This thread smacks of CAA elitism. xsmhx

UNH Fanboi
April 28th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I don't think anyone knows how they will adjust after losing Armanti. I think last year's team would have gone somewhere between 7-3 and 9-1. This years team, I have no idea. All I know is that no team (including the best team in the CAA) would be favored to go undefeated against the CAA because there is so much depth and so little room for error. Look how lucky JMU had to get to go 8-0, and there will be much more parity now that Hofstra and Northeastern are gone.

JMU Newbill
April 28th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I voted for at least .500.... and that's not meant to be a knock on App St, but I'm sure it will be taken that way.

DFW HOYA
April 28th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I voted over 7 because App is that good. But how many games would App win the in the Patriot League under its rules? xlolx

appstate38
April 28th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Well considering Apps record against the better schools in the Conference is still pretty good I voted 7 or more. I have to agree with App Alum2003. IF you guys play all 10 teams first then we can talk.

MR. CHICKEN
April 28th, 2010, 03:25 PM
7+.........DEY'RE JES' AS GOOD.....AS OURAH BEST TEAMS...............xprost2x......BRAWK!

Wildcat80
April 28th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I voted as an ASU fan since I love what they have done with their program! Wish UNH would have half the stadium.

SideLine Shooter
April 28th, 2010, 06:45 PM

The CAA could only wish that App St. played in the CAA. They would have packed stadiums everywhere and it would be a treat for them to visit Kidd Brewer.xnodx

SoCon48
April 28th, 2010, 07:44 PM

Considering they beat like their top 3 to win the National Championship in '07, I'd say all of them.

South Carolina Duke
April 28th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I voted .500

But JMU would coast thru the SoCon with the exception of App St. Not to say we would lose to them.

Things are beginning to change in the NCAA in the next 3-5 years so neither the SoCon or CAA will look the same either way.

jstclmet
April 28th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Considering they beat like their top 3 to win the National Championship in '07, I'd say all of them.

Yes, 07 they were good. Darn good. But 07 is in the past. How many Sr's from that 07 class are still playing football. How many players do App have left from that 07 team???

2010 is a new year, a new team, and a new Mountaineer. Saddle up and c'mon down to the party. And you best bring yer "A" game.

JMUNJ08
April 28th, 2010, 11:11 PM
voted for at least .500 but could be close to the 7-3 mark. Its too early to really get a good grasp on all the teams as players are changing positions and such...

Wildcat80
April 29th, 2010, 03:49 AM
The CAA could only wish that App St. played in the CAA. They would have packed stadiums everywhere and it would be a treat for them to visit Kidd Brewer.xnodx

I remember when ASU & many other CAA members were in the same conference---Southern. ASU would win in any FCS conference. xnodx

Skjellyfetti
April 29th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Yes, 07 they were good. Darn good. But 07 is in the past. How many Sr's from that 07 class are still playing football. How many players do App have left from that 07 team???

2010 is a new year, a new team, and a new Mountaineer. Saddle up and c'mon down to the party. And you best bring yer "A" game.

We have more returning starters this year than any recent year I can recall. Our offense will take an obvious hit without Armanti... but, I expect our defense to be much, much better... especially against the run.

It's also a new year with new teams for the CAA. I see Richmond and William and Mary dropping significantly. I don't believe JMU or Delaware will be nearly as good as either W&M or UR were last year. I think the CAA will be down pretty noticably. Villanova looks to be **** good again, though.

Saint3333
April 29th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Nice to see a Nova fan crawl out and start crowing about CAA dominance. Enjoy one more good year and then slink back to a middle of the pack CAA team.

Over the past 4 years, ASU is 5-2 (71%) vs. the best the CAA has to offer. If they are allowed to play the Towsons and RIs the CAA has each year as well the percentage would be even higher.

Over a three year stretch ASU would have more wins than any CAA team. The CAA has good teams each year, but none of them have a program like ASU, read the sig.

HenZoneNation
April 29th, 2010, 09:25 AM
No one disputes the last four years (yes I'm aware you won the NC five years ago but the poster put four) that APPY State has played the CAA...but AE is gone now and you have some pretty big holes to fill. Coming from a fan who saw what can happen when you have a significant drop in the QB play, you can rely on the past. In '08 we had a very good defense but it didn't matter because they were on the field the whole game because the QB play was terrible. I'm not taking away the job that your program has done, but an AE comes around very rarely and is not easily replaced.

William and Mary and Richmond went the transfer route with the QB position and grabbed two very good players. I don't see them dropping off as much as people believe. JMU, as much as I hate to admit it, is a good program and I'm sure will do very well. As far as UD goes...if our OLine holds up we will have a very, very good year. I'm not sold on the RB's but during the spring game they looked improved from the year before. And Devlin is a great QB, the best in the FCS this year...in my opinion.

I put you guys down .500 record.

Saint3333
April 29th, 2010, 09:37 AM
You do realize that going .500 vs. 10 teams means ASU would lose to five CAA teams. Sorry guys no way ASU would lose to more than 3, 7 or more is the best answer. (75% lifetime record vs. the top half of the CAA)

This is the one program you don't have a leg to stand on.

ASU was a top 10 maybe top 5 program before AE. Recruiting classes have been strong the past few years, and the facilities are already starting to show.

There may never be another AE in the FCS, but the ASU program will continue to be a top 10 FCS program more consistently than any CAA program.

jstclmet
April 29th, 2010, 10:04 AM
We have more returning starters this year than any recent year I can recall. Our offense will take an obvious hit without Armanti... but, I expect our defense to be much, much better... especially against the run.

It's also a new year with new teams for the CAA. I see Richmond and William and Mary dropping significantly. I don't believe JMU or Delaware will be nearly as good as either W&M or UR were last year. I think the CAA will be down pretty noticably. Villanova looks to be **** good again, though.

Everyone's hit by graduation. I see no reason to believe why any of the aforementioned teams will drop below the playing level of 09. Only UR has a new coach, but you can be assured that all of the teams in the CAA will be coached up and ready to play top level football in 2010.

Let's say for the sake of argument that ASU is as strong as has been posted. What about the rest of the SOCON. Which of those teams will be able to step up and challenge ASU??? Can ASU cake walk through the SOCON like Montana does through the Big Sky?? If so, will ASU be playoff ready come Thanksgiving weekend??

We can reverse the poll question to; Could Nova, W&M, Maine, UNH, UD, JMU, UR win the SOCON in 2010 if they played every SOCON team??? Could UMass, URI, & Towson finish @ .500 or above in the SOCON??

Skjellyfetti
April 29th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Let's say for the sake of argument that ASU is as strong as has been posted. What about the rest of the SOCON. Which of those teams will be able to step up and challenge ASU??? Can ASU cake walk through the SOCON like Montana does through the Big Sky?? If so, will ASU be playoff ready come Thanksgiving weekend??

We can reverse the poll question to; Could Nova, W&M, Maine, UNH, UD, JMU, UR win the SOCON in 2010 if they played every SOCON team??? Could UMass, URI, & Towson finish @ .500 or above in the SOCON??

For the sake of argument......? What does any of this you posted have to do with the (retarded) thread subject or the argument? xlolx

The CAA is better than the SoCon. It is the best conference in FCS. I think this has been established in 50,000 threads over the past couple of years. If you started the thread to get this response... you have it now. xnonono2x

ThompsonThe
April 29th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Every time App State loses a QB people say, "There will never be another like him." They may finally be correct about Armanti Edwards, but even close can be good enough.
I do not remember anyone posting 50,000 threads about the SoCon being the top conference when it was for years. Why so many CAA fans just want to talk about how wonderful your conference was last year? You don't attend a conference exactly. Conferences are mainly determined by geography. You want to be within relatively moderate distances to each other normally for minor sports.
Let's have a SoCon -vs- CAA game each year two weeks after the National Championship game.

AppIAA
April 29th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Let's have a SoCon -vs- CAA game each year two weeks after the National Championship game.

Come on now.. you know if that were to happen, and when the SoCon won majority of the time, the CAA would say "its because we beat up on each other during the regular season" like they are the only conference that plays tackle football. Apparently, every other conference plays flag or two hand touch in their minds ;)

asu3peat
April 29th, 2010, 01:12 PM
It's very hard to gauge how good ASU's team will be this year with the losses of 4 year starters, Armanti and Acitelli (OL) on the offense, 2 DT's, All-Am LB, and a lock down corner. If the offense can get decent production from the QB position, then the offense can be just as explosive as it has been in the past with all the weapons they have returning. The jury will remain out on the defense until I actually see them being able to slow the run down after losing the middle of the front 7. Unless the Juco DT's App is bringing in can actually contribute, then I see this as a glaring weakness. Over the past couple of years I've had to high of expectations for the DL and I've learned my lesson....wait and see!

As for how ASU would do in the CAA, I voted at least .500 due to the unknowns. Unfortunately we as fans didn't get to watch a spring game (assess talent) and lots of returners sat out due to injury. IMO Nova will be cream of the crop in the conference with what they have returning. UD, JMU and W&M should be pretty strong. I'm not sure how good UR will be with their new coach but I think they can make some noise. I believe ASU's record would depend on how the schedule is laid out and who App plays at home and away.

HenZoneNation
April 29th, 2010, 01:26 PM
You know...your tongue in cheeck response about a SoCon vs. CAA game would big be a pretty big draw. I like how the fans of most of the conferences have developed rivalries with one another and I think catoring to that could spark even more interest for the FCS. Most FBS fans stick to knowing their conference opponants and maybe one or two other hated rivals. My best friend is a huge Rutgers fans and knows the Big East in and out, along with VA tech, Miami, and Boston College (old rivals). But ask him about Big Ten Schools or Big 12, etc...and he knows very little about their teams, their histories, or their players. On our Board there is a much larger knowledge base not only in regards to one's teams and rivals but also teams and conferences that one may or may not play. Where fans from BSC can speak intelligently about the impact that a Coco Hillary could have on Appy St. or a fan from the CAA is well aware of argue conference rankings with a fan from MVC. Having conferences play each other annually like the ACC and Big 10 do in baskeball would be awesome. The problem of course is distance. That is why I believe the Socon and CAA would make sense. I think it would be awesome...most likely a pipe dream...but awesome still the same.

That being said...I don't think anyone is disrespecting Appy St. They're a great program. I think people are interested to see what will happen now that he has left. Not only was he great, and he was great, but there seems to be some QB questions from some of your own posters. I know at the start of the season many of the posters thought that Cadet and Presley would do better in AE's absense. Playing in the CAA South is extremely tough ever week so I don't think that going .500 is an insult at all.

South Carolina Duke
April 29th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Every time App State loses a QB people say, "There will never be another like him." They may finally be correct about Armanti Edwards, but even close can be good enough.
I do not remember anyone posting 50,000 threads about the SoCon being the top conference when it was for years. Why so many CAA fans just want to talk about how wonderful your conference was last year? You don't attend a conference exactly. Conferences are mainly determined by geography. You want to be within relatively moderate distances to each other normally for minor sports.

Conferences are made up by geography true but please, App travels to GSU how many hours is that. I know it is not as far as Harrisonburg to Orono Maine or Boston. Those are airplane trips not bus trips.

How about Ga State flying across the entire SoCon to play in the CAA. So much for geography being the reason on how conferences are laid out.

I would like more JMU/App games on a yearly schedule, other than always playoff situations.

UNH Fanboi
April 29th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Conferences are made up by geography true but please, App travels to GSU how many hours is that. I know it is not as far as Harrisonburg to Orono Maine or Boston. Those are airplane trips not bus trips.

How about Ga State flying across the entire SoCon to play in the CAA. So much for geography being the reason on how conferences are laid out.

I would like more JMU/App games on a yearly schedule, other than always playoff situations.

There's no incentive for teams from the SoCon and CAA to play each other, especially for two of the top teams to play each other. The in-conference schedule is tough enough. The best strategy for maximizing your chances of making the playoffs or getting a seed is to schedule easy OOC games.

jstclmet
April 29th, 2010, 02:44 PM
For the sake of argument......? What does any of this you posted have to do with the (retarded) thread subject or the argument? xlolx

The CAA is better than the SoCon. It is the best conference in FCS. I think this has been established in 50,000 threads over the past couple of years. If you started the thread to get this response... you have it now. xnonono2x

The intent was to draw out conversation about App's perceived strength's from those knowledgeable about ASU and compare that with like perceived CAA talent. Judging by the conversation thus far, I think that's been accomplished.

I never said the CAA was better than anyone else. I used the CAA as a measuring stick and asked how would your 2010 team fare in the CAA.

You've won your conference for the last handful of years. Given that you may be the team to beat in the SOCON in 2010, do you think ASU could win the CAA, MVFC, Big Sky, or Southland??

Skjellyfetti
April 29th, 2010, 03:01 PM
do you think ASU could win the CAA, MVFC, Big Sky, or Southland??

Yes. Well, except that we have a TERRIBLE record against the Southland. xsmhx

I wouldn't say we'd win for sure or anything. It's ****ing April. But, I think we'll be as good as the top teams from any other conference.

AppIAA
April 29th, 2010, 03:28 PM
It's ****ing April.

Don't remind us..

its still only April xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx

Saint3333
April 29th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Of the 10 CAA teams ASU in 2010 would beat UR, UMass, RI, Maine, and Towson and likely go 3-2 or better vs. W&M, Nova, UD, JMU, and UNH. You may argue 2-3 vs. those 5, but I don't see how you get to less than 7 wins.

For those saying ASU would go .500 will you have them ranked in your preseason top 25? If not I'd like some action on that.

HenZoneNation
April 29th, 2010, 07:47 PM
They didn't give us the option of one game above .500. :) It should be a very interesting year. I enjoyed asu3peat's run down of next year's team. I think that ASU is going to be a good team for many years to come. That being said The CAA is a very tough conference and there aren't too many schools who I would infacticly say would be .500 in the conference after losing a player like AE as well as the other players that asu3repeat stated. It could happen.

PhoenixSupreme
April 29th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I voted 7 and up...

App is just one of those teams that wins the games they need to and plays up to higher competition. There are gonna be a few losses here and there but I would say the matches would all be competitive. Coach Moore always has the kids ready.

ThompsonThe
April 29th, 2010, 10:58 PM
You know...your tongue in cheeck response about a SoCon vs. CAA game would big be a pretty big draw. I like how the fans of most of the conferences have developed rivalries with one another and I think catoring to that could spark even more interest for the FCS. Most FBS fans stick to knowing their conference opponants and maybe one or two other hated rivals. My best friend is a huge Rutgers fans and knows the Big East in and out, along with VA tech, Miami, and Boston College (old rivals). But ask him about Big Ten Schools or Big 12, etc...and he knows very little about their teams, their histories, or their players. On our Board there is a much larger knowledge base not only in regards to one's teams and rivals but also teams and conferences that one may or may not play. Where fans from BSC can speak intelligently about the impact that a Coco Hillary could have on Appy St. or a fan from the CAA is well aware of argue conference rankings with a fan from MVC. Having conferences play each other annually like the ACC and Big 10 do in baskeball would be awesome. The problem of course is distance. That is why I believe the Socon and CAA would make sense. I think it would be awesome...most likely a pipe dream...but awesome still the same.

That being said...I don't think anyone is disrespecting Appy St. They're a great program. I think people are interested to see what will happen now that he has left. Not only was he great, and he was great, but there seems to be some QB questions from some of your own posters. I know at the start of the season many of the posters thought that Cadet and Presley would do better in AE's absense. Playing in the CAA South is extremely tough ever week so I don't think that going .500 is an insult at all.

I have a lot of respect for the CAA South. No disrespect to the CAA North, but we seem to end up playing the South a lot more. MM gives me a lot to gripe about. I still say that Moore felt sorry for him and was afraid he would lose his job year before last at half time.
I do believe that Moore has relied on AE too much at times that he should not have been playing, at least the whole game. UR year before last, McNeese this past year comes to mind. Back ups that we only have had temporary confidence in has been a problem.
Cadet wasn't really recruited, and Presley has been taken off QB twice, so I would agree with posters that we have a QB quandry. We have a red shirt freshman and two incoming freshmen QB's though that may show some promise.
We will see.
Would like to see an FCS Senior game at least started by the NCAA.

JMUNJ08
April 30th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Of the 10 CAA teams ASU in 2010 would beat UR, UMass, RI, Maine, and Towson and likely go 3-2 or better vs. W&M, Nova, UD, JMU, and UNH. You may argue 2-3 vs. those 5, but I don't see how you get to less than 7 wins.

For those saying ASU would go .500 will you have them ranked in your preseason top 25? If not I'd like some action on that.

JMU went 6-5 and still snuck back in to one top 25 poll xhurrayx

Its all on the schedule and momentum. I really think 5-5 would be the minimum if the newbies stink it up (like JMU until the last 4 games). 7-3 is more realistic but its only April!

How the heck did JMU win @ UD last year? Still nobody knows. AGS in the CAA...

CopperCat
May 3rd, 2010, 12:26 AM
Refusing to participate in this poll, or this discussion, because it is irrelevant. No team in the CAA has done what App did, so App gets the benefit of the doubt.

PaladinFan
May 3rd, 2010, 08:03 AM

Again, there are distinctions between Richie Williams and Edwards. Yes, Williams won a national championship, but even a blind man could see your team won games not on the back of Williams, but on your defense. App's defense that year was stellar.

Not to say Richie Williams wasn't a good quarterback. He was. The real difference is (and I've seen App teams for a while now, so I'm not just blowing smoke) was that your defense carried Williams team while Edwards carried his. Both were great quarterbacks for the gold and black, though the loss of Edwards will be far more apparent, I think.

Saint3333
May 3rd, 2010, 08:18 AM
I agree the defense was the difference between the 2005 and 2006 teams and the 2008 and 2009 teams, the 2007 offense was just unstoppable when fully heathly and could outscore anybody.

The 2006 defense was better than the 2005 defense. Hopefully ASU is getting back to that shutdown defense which will make or break this team in 2010 while the new QB gains experience. ASU lost 2 DT, 1 LB, and 1 CB from 2009, my biggest concern is replacing the 2 DTs.

tribefan40
May 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM

Three...Seasons...Ago

tribefan40
May 3rd, 2010, 11:39 AM
Come on now.. you know if that were to happen, and when the SoCon won majority of the time, the CAA would say "its because we beat up on each other during the regular season" like they are the only conference that plays tackle football. Apparently, every other conference plays flag or two hand touch in their minds ;)

Look at the GPI, Look at the playoff field DEEP into the playoffs. It's not even close.

SoCon48
May 3rd, 2010, 12:03 PM
Three...Seasons...Ago
Oh, so the CAA has gotten so much stronger in the interim? It shows more credibility than a bunch of homers on a message board.

AppIAA
May 3rd, 2010, 12:27 PM
Look at the GPI, Look at the playoff field DEEP into the playoffs. It's not even close.

I am not arguing that, right now, overall, CAA has a stronger conference -- but only because there are a lot more teams to choose from. The top half of the SoCon, can and does, compete with the top half of the CAA; you can not deny that.

That comment was more a tongue in cheek remark about all the CAA fans who make that excuse for everything whenever something bad happens to the conference..

Saint3333
May 3rd, 2010, 12:45 PM
Guys back to the poll question, people that think ASU wouldn't be the 4th best team in the CAA and go at least 7-3 need to take off the CAA glasses.

Tribefan seems to enjoy stats, look at ASU vs. CAA - it's not even close.

PaladinFan
May 3rd, 2010, 01:27 PM
Guys back to the poll question, people that think ASU wouldn't be the 4th best team in the CAA and go at least 7-3 need to take off the CAA glasses.

I'm frankly suprised at the underhanded swipe at the SoCon. Maybe we should start piling up national championship trophies again and see who has the higher stack?

Mattymc727
May 3rd, 2010, 03:49 PM
i voted atleast .500. Hey, if App went 10-0 in the CAA I would still be right.....I just left room for error......

Mattymc727
May 3rd, 2010, 03:52 PM
realistically APP would win atleast 7 every year in the CAA. Plus they have great local recruiting grounds to compete at that level every year, unlike UNH and Maine, where we have to find diamonds in the rough and hope to remain competitive every year, which is why UNH's run in the last 7 years is remarkable

tribefan40
May 4th, 2010, 08:36 AM

I was actually responding to the comment that playing in a consistantly quality conference wears on teams and I suppose sharpens them throughout the season. The SoCon, as a CONFERENCE, cannot compare. Apps' season would look a little different if they had to play five ranked teams in the regular season, with two top five teams in the last two weeks (W&M, 2009)

Yes App is a beast in the playoffs and has had a lot of success against CAA teams in isolated playoff situations. We're talking about surviving a season. And I did vote for better than .500...

Saint3333
May 4th, 2010, 09:13 AM
The SoCon historically has 3 or 4 top 25 teams and plays a more difficult OOC schedule than CAA teams (2010 will be a down year OOC wise). ASU has played Wofford, Furman, and GSU back-to-back-to-back for 8+ years, so don't tell ASU fans about a tough conference stretch.

ASU's record vs. the CAA is 75% vs. the top half of the CAA teams, but the conference as a whole, therefore logic would say the winning percentage would be even higher.

How logically can you defend that a program wins 75% of their games vs. the best a conference has to offer yet would only go .500-.699 vs. the conference as a whole? I'm not saying ASU would go undefeated, but answering less than .700 can not be reached logically.

PaladinFan
May 4th, 2010, 11:47 AM
The SoCon historically has 3 or 4 top 25 teams and plays a more difficult OOC schedule than CAA teams (2010 will be a down year OOC wise). ASU has played Wofford, Furman, and GSU back-to-back-to-back for 8+ years, so don't tell ASU fans about a tough conference stretch.

ASU's record vs. the CAA is 75% vs. the top half of the CAA teams, but the conference as a whole, therefore logic would say the winning percentage would be even higher.

How logically can you defend that a program wins 75% of their games vs. the best a conference has to offer yet would only go .500-.699 vs. the conference as a whole? I'm not saying ASU would go undefeated, but answering less than .700 can not be reached logically.

Best I recall, haven't the two conferences more or less split their games recently? Richmond beat Elon a time or two, but I know Furman beat their last CAA opponent in UD.

The SoCon has historically been a top heavy conference. However, like other conference (the SEC in basketball for example) the SoCon's top is pretty daggum good. I agree, the CAA has had recent success, but not long ago the SoCon was facing off in the Semis themselves. Remember, five years ago Furman played App State in Boone in the semis in a game that many felt had the two best teams in the country.

tribefan40
May 4th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Best I recall, haven't the two conferences more or less split their games recently? Richmond beat Elon a time or two, but I know Furman beat their last CAA opponent in UD.

The SoCon has historically been a top heavy conference. However, like other conference (the SEC in basketball for example) the SoCon's top is pretty daggum good. I agree, the CAA has had recent success, but not long ago the SoCon was facing off in the Semis themselves. Remember, five years ago Furman played App State in Boone in the semis in a game that many felt had the two best teams in the country.

I agree the Socon has had its share of contenders and when you add the numbers up they have, for the most part split games over the last decade. I guess the main difference in my mind is the depth -10 of the last 12 championships went to Socon or CAA schools, 5 each. Both are impressive, but the Socon did it with 2 schools, the CAA did it with 5 different schools. The Socon has filled 23 playoff spots since 2000 whereas the CAA has filled 33. The CAA had 4 teams in the top ten at the end of last year, the Socon had two. Both conferences are good, I just think the CAA does it with considerably more depth. That would give a team like App a little more competition each week of the season.

tribefan40
May 4th, 2010, 01:08 PM

Since 2002 App St. has played the CAA 8 times, all but one during the playoffs - 5 Home games, 2 Neutral Site and One Away. Home Field Advantage isn't everything but...

Saint3333
May 4th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Nice stats, but you forgot the results.

In the last 5 years, ASU played at JMU and at Richmond and had two neutral site games (UD and UMass). ASU went 3-1 at neutral and away sites, two of those wins were against the CAA champions. You are strengthening my point, ASU has a 75% winning percentage on the road against the best the CAA has to offer. There are no stats to support a < 70% winning percentage for ASU vs. the CAA.

tribefan40
May 5th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Nice stats, but you forgot the results.

In the last 5 years, ASU played at JMU and at Richmond and had two neutral site games (UD and UMass). ASU went 3-1 at neutral and away sites, two of those wins were against the CAA champions. You are strengthening my point, ASU has a 75% winning percentage on the road against the best the CAA has to offer. There are no stats to support a < 70% winning percentage for ASU vs. the CAA.

So what I'm seeing is that ASU has a .500 winning precentage in true road games (at CAA schools), and 2-0 neutral site. How does that not play to my point? In a season with 8 conference games you would not have 5 home games and 3 away (two of those practically being home games due to the fan base as is talked about so often). ASU has come out of a conference where, in the last five years, one (sometimes two) other members are national powers year in and year out. The CAA has produced 3 or 4 EVERY ONE of THOSE YEARS. To play the CAA eight games in one season as opposed to eight games spread out over eights years, would produce different results.

Saint3333
May 5th, 2010, 09:51 AM
3 teams out of 8 (now 9 with Samford) is the same percentage as 4 of 12. You guys don't play everyone. Under the scenario however ASU would not lose more than 3 games vs. the 10 remaining CAA members.

There are NO stats involving ASU and the CAA in the last 5 years to support a < 70% winning percentage. The key here is ASU has only played the BEST (top 3 CAA) teams during the last 5 years.

If you sprinkle the Towson, URI, and Maine's in between the better CAA teams I don't see that as being a tougher schedule than ASU's current schedule due to the tougher OOC matchups we schedule.

Last post on this topic as we are not going to agree as you continue to ignore prior results, likely schedules, and ASU's dominance of the best the CAA has to offer. Read the sig it says it all.

Ivytalk
May 5th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I don't think anyone knows how they will adjust after losing Armanti. I think last year's team would have gone somewhere between 7-3 and 9-1. This years team, I have no idea. All I know is that no team (including the best team in the CAA) would be favored to go undefeated against the CAA because there is so much depth and so little room for error. Look how lucky JMU had to get to go 8-0, and there will be much more parity now that Hofstra and Northeastern are gone.

I can't answer the poll question as posed, and the above post does a good job of saying why.xpeacex

tribefan40
May 5th, 2010, 11:44 AM
3 teams out of 8 (now 9 with Samford) is the same percentage as 4 of 12. You guys don't play everyone. Under the scenario however ASU would not lose more than 3 games vs. the 10 remaining CAA members.

There are NO stats involving ASU and the CAA in the last 5 years to support a < 70% winning percentage. The key here is ASU has only played the BEST (top 3 CAA) teams during the last 5 years.

If you sprinkle the Towson, URI, and Maine's in between the better CAA teams I don't see that as being a tougher schedule than ASU's current schedule due to the tougher OOC matchups we schedule.

Last post on this topic as we are not going to agree as you continue to ignore prior results, likely schedules, and ASU's dominance of the best the CAA has to offer. Read the sig it says it all.

I'm not ignoring prior results, in fact I've brought more of them up than you have. You are simply failing to recognize the difference between playing a conference sporadically and playing an extended season stretch. The two are incomparable. Would ASU have success? Absolutely. Would they be the best in the conference every year? I guess we'll never know.

Saint3333
May 5th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Ok I lied one more post. You may be confused with what I am debating or either deliberately changing the parameters, which may have led to your continuing this back and forth. No where in this thread have I said ASU would be the best in the CAA every year. I'm bebating that ASU would win 7 out of 10 games each year in the CAA. I agree it is unlikely that ASU would go undefeated in 2010 vs. the CAA, I'm stated they would win at least 7 games if they played all 10 CAA opponents.

Rekdiver
May 5th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Saint3333 is all over this post......We've beaten the best you have to offer.....And I think we'll be equal to or beter than last year.......

tribefan40
May 5th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Ok I lied one more post. You may be confused with what I am debating or either deliberately changing the parameters, which may have led to your continuing this back and forth. No where in this thread have I said ASU would be the best in the CAA every year. I'm bebating that ASU would win 7 out of 10 games each year in the CAA. I agree it is unlikely that ASU would go undefeated in 2010 vs. the CAA, I'm stated they would win at least 7 games if they played all 10 CAA opponents.

Once again you isolate a single sentence from one of my posts and respond to it only. Despite the fact that I haven't been able to stand up against you withering barage of statistics and logic, I in no way have changed the parameters in any one of my posts. I still maintain that APP would have difficulty with a full season of CAA matchups, more so than their current "superior schedule." The statement at the end of my last post was simply a statement.

Saint3333
May 5th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Which point are the arguing, being the best in the CAA or that ASU would go 5-5 per your vote? I have been constant is my point since the beginning. If Vegas were setting the over/under on ASU vs. the 10 CAA teams it would be 7, perhaps 7.5.

Please name four CAA teams (two of which would play ASU at KBS) that would beat ASU in 2010. I'll stand by a previous post that ASU would beat the 5 worst CAA teams no matter the site and go either 3-2 or 2-3 at worst against the top 5 thus equally a minimum of 7 wins. Logic is your friend.

jstclmet
May 5th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Which point are the arguing, being the best in the CAA or that ASU would go 5-5 per your vote? I have been constant is my point since the beginning. If Vegas were setting the over/under on ASU vs. the 10 CAA teams it would be 7, perhaps 7.5.

Please name four CAA teams (two of which would play ASU at KBS) that would beat ASU in 2010. I'll stand by a previous post that ASU would beat the 5 worst CAA teams no matter the site and go either 3-2 or 2-3 at worst against the top 5 thus equally a minimum of 7 wins. Logic is your friend.

Off the top of my head, VU, W&M, UNH, JMU, & Maine could win @ KBS. With that as your home schedule, good luck with winning @ UD, UMass, UR, URI, & TU. Giving the devil it's due, of course you wouldn't go winless at home. But you did ask what 4 teams could beat ASU. I gave you five that wouldn't be bothered by the home crowd.

App St would be lucky and greatful to walk away with a 5 - 5 record after facing such a schedule. ASU would miss the playoffs, but within a few CAA seasons, I have no doubt they'll be there battling to the end to reach the playoffs.

AppAlum2003
May 5th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Off the top of my head, VU, W&M, UNH, JMU, & Maine could win @ KBS. With that as your home schedule, good luck with winning @ UD, UMass, UR, URI, & TU. Giving the devil it's due, of course you wouldn't go winless at home. But you did ask what 4 teams could beat ASU. I gave you five that wouldn't be bothered by the home crowd.

App St would be lucky and greatful to walk away with a 5 - 5 record after facing such a schedule. ASU would miss the playoffs, but within a few CAA seasons, I have no doubt they'll be there battling to the end to reach the playoffs.

Yes... all of those teams should easily dismantle a Mountaineers team that has lost 3 home games in 5 years. xrolleyesx

Rekdiver
May 5th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Somebody has been smoking something................

AshevilleApp2
May 5th, 2010, 02:59 PM

Bull****! Get over your collective selves.

Saint3333
May 5th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Yes... all of those teams should easily dismantle a Mountaineers team that has lost 3 home games in 5 years. xrolleyesx

Yeah and I'm sure beating Towson, URI, UMass, and UR (who lost 17 starters) on the road in those intimidating locations would be tough.

These guys can't be serious. The Nova and Tribe fans are getting a little cocky after one good season I think.

I don't see the JMU or Delaware fans jumping on this as they (with some outliers at JMU) apprepriate the history of the top FCS programs.

runHENrun
May 5th, 2010, 07:51 PM

First of all ASU is a great program and they would do well in the CAA, but your remark about the 5 automatic wins against the socalled worst teams, I'll have to disagree with.

I think it was 2007 when Towson had only 1 conf. win and it was against Richmond. I just don't think there's any automatic wins in the CAA.

AppIAA
May 6th, 2010, 08:16 AM
First of all ASU is a great program and they would do well in the CAA, but your remark about the 5 automatic wins against the socalled worst teams, I'll have to disagree with.

I think it was 2007 when Towson had only 1 conf. win and it was against Richmond. I just don't think there's any automatic wins in the CAA.

All the CAA fans are right.. come on guys, the winner from the CAA would be the SEC champ every year and could go undefeated in the Pac-10.. its a no brainer -- the CAA is clearly the absolute best thing to EVER be in college football.. Hell, some years, they might even be better than the AFC East in the NFL!

It's ridiculous to think that the SoCon is THAT worse than the CAA. Yes, right now, the conference is down, but it isn't that much worse than the CAA. I am willing to bet the lower half of the SoCon would be at least .500 against the lower half of the CAA.

Why is it, whenever something happens in the CAA, its always "We beat each other up during the regular season, so its going to happen" and you can never accept the fact that another team/conference might actually be better than you?

Rekdiver
May 6th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Do well????????? There is no way we would not be 1 of the top 3 teams in the CAA year in and out........

tribefan40
May 6th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Do well????????? There is no way we would not be 1 of the top 3 teams in the CAA year in and out........

NO ONE is top 3 in the CAA year in and year out. This is my point. The CAA is competitive every year with different teams at the top. Right now Nova and W&M are at the top, within a year or two it will be someone else. As I have said APP would be competitive in the CAA and have up years and down, but to think it would be one of the top teams every year, I just don't see it.

tribefan40
May 6th, 2010, 09:10 AM
All the CAA fans are right.. come on guys, the winner from the CAA would be the SEC champ every year and could go undefeated in the Pac-10.. its a no brainer -- the CAA is clearly the absolute best thing to EVER be in college football.. Hell, some years, they might even be better than the AFC East in the NFL!

It's ridiculous to think that the SoCon is THAT worse than the CAA. Yes, right now, the conference is down, but it isn't that much worse than the CAA. I am willing to bet the lower half of the SoCon would be at least .500 against the lower half of the CAA.

Why is it, whenever something happens in the CAA, its always "We beat each other up during the regular season, so its going to happen" and you can never accept the fact that another team/conference might actually be better than you?

Clearly we think we're FBS level. Thanks for bringing that into the light. Somehow we managed to put two teams in the semifinals last year and win the NC, so obviously all the beating up had a positive outcome. You are missing the point! No one should be saying that APP would not be competitive in the CAA, clearly they would be. The idea is that they would face a significantly more challenging slate in the CAA.

AppAlum2003
May 6th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Clearly we think we're FBS level. Thanks for bringing that into the light. Somehow we managed to put two teams in the semifinals last year and win the NC, so obviously all the beating up had a positive outcome. You are missing the point! No one should be saying that APP would not be competitive in the CAA, clearly they would be. The idea is that they would face a significantly more challenging slate in the CAA.

Actually, the originator of this incredibly stupid thread said just that when he indicated that ASU would go 5 - 5 in the CAA... xthumbsdownx

Saint3333
May 6th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Yeah he continues to argue two different points which contradict themselves.

Wasn't it 2005 when the SoCon put two teams in the semis and won the national title, I don't remember crap like this being posted by ASU or Furman fans. One reason - we've been there. Enjoy your couple years on top W&M fans your fall will be quicker and farther than ASU's.

AppIAA
May 6th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Clearly we think we're FBS level. Thanks for bringing that into the light.

Not only do you think you're FBS level, but you think you're BCS level and would easily take the national championship every year if the conference wasn't so strong and you didn't beat up on each other (Towson, RI, and Maine just scream out as ridiculously strong opponents)

Somehow we managed to put two teams in the semifinals last year and win the NC, so obviously all the beating up had a positive outcome.

My point exactly!! It's always used as an excuse until something good happens (i.e. 2 teams in the semis). You guys can never admit a team was just out right better than you.

You are missing the point! No one should be saying that APP would not be competitive in the CAA, clearly they would be. The idea is that they would face a significantly more challenging slate in the CAA.

No, you are missing the point. The CAA is not THAT much better than the SoCon. Yes, right now, they are better -- but not THAT much. Of the 10 teams in the conference that thinks they are better than every NFL team, the competitive games with App would be Delaware, JMU, UMASS, UNH, Richmond, Nova, and W&M. The other games would be against, RI, Towson, Maine.

App would go 4-3 (Wins against, Delaware, JMU, UNH, Richmond; Losses to UMASS, Nova, W&M -- although, I cam see adding UMass to the win column as well) against the "top 7" and 3-0 against the others.. hey, what do you know? Thats 7-3!

Again, yes the CAA is a better conference right now, but it is not 1000 times better like your fans seem to think.

tribefan40
May 6th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah he continues to argue two different points which contradict themselves.

Wasn't it 2005 when the SoCon put two teams in the semis and won the national title, I don't remember crap like this being posted by ASU or Furman fans. One reason - we've been there. Enjoy your couple years on top W&M fans your fall will be quicker and farther than ASU's.

I was not the originator of the thread and haven't said anything to contradict the fact that ASU would be competitive in the CAA. I've mentioned numerous times how successful you guys have been in the past and have managed not to put down your school. W&M and the other CAA schools have also 'been there' and will be there again, and again.

Ease up on the bitterness man. If you're out of stuff to write about, just don't post.

tribefan40
May 6th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Not only do you think you're FBS level, but you think you're BCS level and would easily take the national championship every year if the conference wasn't so strong and you didn't beat up on each other (Towson, RI, and Maine just scream out as ridiculously strong opponents)

My point exactly!! It's always used as an excuse until something good happens (i.e. 2 teams in the semis). You guys can never admit a team was just out right better than you.

No, you are missing the point. The CAA is not THAT much better than the SoCon. Yes, right now, they are better -- but not THAT much. Of the 10 teams in the conference that thinks they are better than every NFL team, the competitive games with App would be Delaware, JMU, UMASS, UNH, Richmond, Nova, and W&M. The other games would be against, RI, Towson, Maine.

App would go 4-3 (Wins against, Delaware, JMU, UNH, Richmond; Losses to UMASS, Nova, W&M -- although, I cam see adding UMass to the win column as well) against the "top 7" and 3-0 against the others.. hey, what do you know? Thats 7-3!

Again, yes the CAA is a better conference right now, but it is not 1000 times better like your fans seem to think.

Once again you got me. We are BCS level. Thanks for helping me admit this.

AppIAA
May 6th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Once again you got me. We are BCS level. Thanks for helping me admit this.

Once again, when proven wrong, you ignore it..

tribefan40
May 6th, 2010, 11:36 AM

What is interesting to me in your post is that you talk about the strength of each conference and then mention only APP. I understand this thead is focused on APP in the CAA but when you make the comment that the CAA isn't that much stronger and mention on APP I wonder. Which other teams (based on the last 5 years) would have been year in and year out competitors? I understand some schools have had a year here and there, but which other teams match up? I'll be eagerly awaiting your thoughts.

Oh, and we're not better than most NFL teams, we might be competitive in the NFC West though.

tribefan40
May 6th, 2010, 11:56 AM
(Towson, RI, and Maine just scream out as ridiculously strong opponents)

Don't be a hater. Maine has a recent playoff trip and a 1A upset not too long ago. Towson and RI are the doormats but they'll be up to FBS levels soon, don't you worry. Speaking of ridiculously strong opponents = Western Carolina, Citadel, Chattanooga, Samford...

AppIAA
May 6th, 2010, 11:59 AM
What is interesting to me in your post is that you talk about the strength of each conference and then mention only APP. I understand this thead is focused on APP in the CAA but when you make the comment that the CAA isn't that much stronger and mention on APP I wonder. Which other teams (based on the last 5 years) would have been year in and year out competitors? I understand some schools have had a year here and there, but which other teams match up? I'll be eagerly awaiting your thoughts.

Oh, and we're not better than most NFL teams, we might be competitive in the NFC West though.

Wofford, Furman, GSU are all traditonally strong. Yes, Furman and GSU have been week the past couple of years, but do you remember a Wofford team beating a Montana team, in Montana? I know, I know, every CAA team is much better than Montana -- in fact, you can probably take all the bench riders from the worst CAA team (although, they would all beat Texas, Alabama, and Oklahoma every year so there isn't really a bad team), and they would beat Montana's starters by at least 8 touchdowns. xcoffeex Or how about a GSU team that beat App at The Rock ( xmadx ) in 2007 (Michigan and National Championship)? Or in 2005 when App barely beat Furman in the semis in a game that most people considered the 2 best teams.

So, those 3, plus App.. that makes 4 out of 9 for the SoCon. You have 7 of 12 -- I know it's only 10 now, but we're talking about the past 5 years right? Plus, you have to equate the fact that the CAA teams don't even all play each other.

If you think the SoCon has teams that have had a good year here and there, apparently you are either new to FCS football or just ignorant -- i hope its the former!

AppIAA
May 6th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Speaking of ridiculously strong opponents = Western Carolina, Citadel, Chattanooga, Samford...

That is EXACTLY my point.. Both conferences have strong and weak opponents. The top of each traditionally can compete with each other, while the weak from each conference are, well, weak.

A huge difference is the CAA does not play everyone in conference so the top 2 teams might not ever play each other (I think this happened recently actually). Of course, it can go both ways and the top teams could never play the doormats in a season

tribefan40
May 6th, 2010, 01:56 PM
That is EXACTLY my point.. Both conferences have strong and weak opponents. The top of each traditionally can compete with each other, while the weak from each conference are, well, weak.

A huge difference is the CAA does not play everyone in conference so the top 2 teams might not ever play each other (I think this happened recently actually). Of course, it can go both ways and the top teams could never play the doormats in a season

All four playoff teams played each other with the exception of UNH-UR last year, NOVA played UNH and W&M twice. The Socon playoff teams played each other as well, of course that only took one game...

tribefan40
May 6th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Wofford, Furman, GSU are all traditonally strong. Yes, Furman and GSU have been week the past couple of years, but do you remember a Wofford team beating a Montana team, in Montana? I know, I know, every CAA team is much better than Montana -- in fact, you can probably take all the bench riders from the worst CAA team (although, they would all beat Texas, Alabama, and Oklahoma every year so there isn't really a bad team), and they would beat Montana's starters by at least 8 touchdowns. xcoffeex Or how about a GSU team that beat App at The Rock ( xmadx ) in 2007 (Michigan and National Championship)? Or in 2005 when App barely beat Furman in the semis in a game that most people considered the 2 best teams.

So, those 3, plus App.. that makes 4 out of 9 for the SoCon. You have 7 of 12 -- I know it's only 10 now, but we're talking about the past 5 years right? Plus, you have to equate the fact that the CAA teams don't even all play each other.

If you think the SoCon has teams that have had a good year here and there, apparently you are either new to FCS football or just ignorant -- i hope its the former!

We are talking about the last five years and in that time GSU and Furman have had only good years here and there. Look at the records. Yes, Wofford has been very good and fell off last year. They are also 0-2 against the CAA - both years they made the playoffs.

PS: The "Bench Riders" could only beat Montana by 3 or 4 touchdowns, definitely not 8.

jmufan999
May 6th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I know, I know, every CAA team is much better than Montana

i'm sorry, AppIAA... i know we're having a nice little chat on another thread but i couldn't resist on this one.

dating back to 2004, Montana is a combined 71-7 against non-CAA FCS-or-lower opponents. that record is pretty freaking ridiculous.

but against the CAA? a combined 1-4 with the one win coming against us and our QB leaving at halftime (we also went -4 in turnover differential and still came within one score which should tell you a LOT. if you go +4, you should win by 30+). i should point out that 3 were neutral sites, 1 home, 1 away. this is not "smack", these are stats. so before any Montana fan gets mad, remember: a.) i didn't make the stats up, b.) i didn't bring Montana into this, and c.)... i guess i don't have anything for "c".

71-7.
1-4 against the CAA.

AppIAA
May 6th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Yes, Wofford has been very good and fell off last year. They are also 0-2 against the CAA - both years they made the playoffs.

They had something like 7 of their starting 11 go out with knee injuries.. everybody, except the all mighty CAA, would fall off if that happened.. but everyone knows if a team in the CAA had this happen to them, it wouldn't matter. Their second stringers are better than all the SECs first stringers.

AppIAA
May 6th, 2010, 05:11 PM
i'm sorry, AppIAA... i know we're having a nice little chat on another thread but i couldn't resist on this one.

dating back to 2004, Montana is a combined 71-7 against non-CAA FCS-or-lower opponents. that record is pretty freaking ridiculous.

but against the CAA? a combined 1-4 with the one win coming against us and our QB leaving at halftime (we also went -4 in turnover differential and still came within one score which should tell you a LOT. if you go +4, you should win by 30+). i should point out that 3 were neutral sites, 1 home, 1 away. this is not "smack", these are stats. so before any Montana fan gets mad, remember: a.) i didn't make the stats up, b.) i didn't bring Montana into this, and c.)... i guess i don't have anything for "c".

71-7.
1-4 against the CAA.

That's fine. I was simply noting that Montana is a good team regardless of their strength of schedule year in, year out.. It was a tongue in cheek remark stating that even Towson could regularly beat Montana (or any other powerhouse) with the typical CAA fan mentality.

Were those games against the top half of the CAA? I don't have time to do the research now, but I am assuming they were. And again, that proves my point. The top half of the CAA is strong; never denied that.. But so is the top half of the SoCon.. both have a weak bottom half. The top half of the CAA isn't THAT much better than the top half of the SoCon

tribefan40
May 7th, 2010, 07:23 AM
They had something like 7 of their starting 11 go out with knee injuries.. everybody, except the all mighty CAA, would fall off if that happened.. but everyone knows if a team in the CAA had this happen to them, it wouldn't matter. Their second stringers are better than all the SECs first stringers.

Why so touchy dude? I was simply making a statement, Wofford did in fact fall off last year, no judgement on why. Seven out of eleven went out with knee injuries? An offseason conditioning program could be helpful.

PS: Our second stringers are better than the ACC's first stringers. We're still working on reaching SEC levels with our backups.

jmufan999
May 7th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Were those games against the top half of the CAA?

yes, those were "top" teams because all 5 of those games were in the playoffs.... so at the time, each was a "top" CAA team. by the way, the teams are UMass, JMU, UR, and Nova. there aren't any plans for any CAA team to play Montana regularly so the playoffs is all we have to go on.

jmufan999
May 7th, 2010, 10:27 AM
and as a side note, how did i become a "first class FCS ruler"? does that happen when you get a certain number of posts? if so, i'm guessing the number was 500.

someone give me a cookie. :)