PDA

View Full Version : Who is your team's biggest non-conference rival?

AppAlum96
April 27th, 2010, 05:46 PM
What opponent does your team play regularly enough to have a rivalry despite not being in the same conference?

For App, I'd have to say it's been JMU in recent years. Although, if this home and home works out well, Montana could be our non-conference rival for the next decade.

I apologize if there has been a thread of this nature already, I didn't see it.

DFW HOYA
April 27th, 2010, 06:15 PM
What opponent does your team play regularly enough to have a rivalry despite not being in the same conference?

Nobody. (And that's a problem.)

TheBisonator
April 27th, 2010, 06:21 PM
This thread will be innundated with NDSU and UND fans in 3...... 2....... 1......

JMUNJ08
April 27th, 2010, 07:10 PM

For App, I'd have to say it's been JMU in recent years. Although, if this home and home works out well, Montana could be our non-conference rival for the next decade.

I apologize if there has been a thread of this nature already, I didn't see it.

I'd have to agree. App St. generates the biggest buzz on campus although I bet Liberty is trying to make us theirs. Its the one thing we need but with such a tough conference we don't seem to keep up these long term deals. Here's to at least one good rivalry in the coming years for JMU!xbeerchugx

Sader87
April 27th, 2010, 07:20 PM
The Hahvahd Johnnies!!!

dakotadan
April 27th, 2010, 08:21 PM
This thread will be innundated with NDSU and UND fans in 3...... 2....... 1......

Maybe we could take this thread off?

Franks Tanks
April 27th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Penn...we've played them over 75 times and we typically get good crowds when they come to town.

Ivytalk
April 27th, 2010, 08:47 PM
The Hahvahd Johnnies!!!

I guess that's right, as of now. But the series will end in a few more years.

WestCoastAggie
April 27th, 2010, 08:51 PM
The s(WACK)!

Go...gate
April 27th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Cornell.

Gringer1
April 27th, 2010, 09:00 PM
It is hard to say for Georgia Southern because we don't do very many out of conference series beyond a couple games. Coastal Carolina might be one these days because we have played a few times and they've never beaten us. I think they really want to get a win and we really want to keep the perfect streak. South Dakota State might be one because we stomped them the first few times, but they got that one blow out win. Then there are a few former rivals who "moved up" to the SunBelt and still seem to enjoy talking crap at us. Troy and MTSU in particular even though we ran the table on them back in the day. Georgia State has the potential to be a huge rivalry, what with being in the same state and the mutual GSU abbreviations. However, they have a lot more to gain from a series with us than we do with them.

Sader87
April 27th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I guess that's right, as of now. But the series will end in a few more years.

And why is that Ivytalk?

superman7515
April 27th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Well, if you believe the press guides, it's West Chester. I think it's a bigger game for WCU than UD though. Maybe DelState will turn into something. At least it's a win over an FCS opponent.

McNeese75
April 27th, 2010, 09:50 PM
xchinscratchx The only non-conference team I can think of that McNeese has played somewhat consistently over the last 11 years is Southern Utah (6 games) xeekx

Redbirdz
April 27th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I would say it's UT Chattanooga. Although they used to show us what for in the old days, it's been pretty much Jacksonville State since 2004 (4-1). Our real rival, however, was Troy before it jumped to FBS. Many of us are looking forward to renewing this series on a level playing field when JSU makes the eventual jump.

South Carolina Duke
April 27th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Montana and App St.

bostonspider
April 27th, 2010, 10:23 PM
For the Spiders I would have to say it is the VMI Keydets. The two schools first played in 1893 and have played 86 times in total. Richmond leads the series 41-40-5, taking their first lead ever in the series last year. Not sure when the next game is, I think the Keydets are taking a little break from the Spiders starting next season.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/28/64645453_c64f7b0673_o.jpg

mmiller_34
April 27th, 2010, 10:26 PM
It is hard to say for Georgia Southern because we don't do very many out of conference series beyond a couple games. Coastal Carolina might be one these days because we have played a few times and they've never beaten us. I think they really want to get a win and we really want to keep the perfect streak. South Dakota State might be one because we stomped them the first few times, but they got that one blow out win. Then there are a few former rivals who "moved up" to the SunBelt and still seem to enjoy talking crap at us. Troy and MTSU in particular even though we ran the table on them back in the day. Georgia State has the potential to be a huge rivalry, what with being in the same state and the mutual GSU abbreviations. However, they have a lot more to gain from a series with us than we do with them.

Georgia Southern stomped us the first game for sure.

GSU 63 - SDSU 7
GSU 55 - SDSU 42
GSU 41 - SDSU 38
GSU 6 - SDSU 44

ngineer
April 27th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Unfortunately, we don't play them much anymore. Only twice in the past decade and one was in the playoffs...and that is Delaware. We've just started playing Villanova, but that six game series appears to be coming to an end with the last game this year at Goodman on 9/11.
Penn has been a 'despised' rival for years, but that series stopped about 6 years ago at Penn's decision when they started playing Villanova regularly. While we seem to play Princeton alot, due to proximity, we've never had a 'burning' rivalry with the Tigers. We have seemed to play Harvard and Yale frequently over the past 15 years, but with the way the IL games rotate, the series never get 'permenently engaged'...
Other than Lafayette and Bucknell, I think we've had more games with Delware in our long history. Last one was 2005 in a 34-33 loss in OT at Delaware.

poly51
April 27th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Historically would be Fresno State. Cal Poly is playing them this year for the first time in 25 years. Currently it would be Montana.

PhoenixSupreme
April 28th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I would have to say either Presbyterian or Liberty for Elon. I would give the edge to Liberty though because we have played them more often in this decade, and the games have been more competitively even.

Dignan
April 28th, 2010, 02:52 AM
I agree with those who say JMU vs App St. But if they want to keep it going they're going to have to start scheduling each other during the regular season as my bet is that once the new JMU stadium is done they'll stop sending us away to ASU for the first round of the playoffs every year.

This is, of course, assuming we even make the playoffs.

kdinva
April 28th, 2010, 07:36 AM
For the Spiders I would have to say it is the VMI Keydets. The two schools first played in 1893 and have played 86 times in total. Richmond leads the series 41-40-5, taking their first lead ever in the series last year. Not sure when the next game is, I think the Keydets are taking a little break from the Spiders starting next season.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/28/64645453_c64f7b0673_o.jpg
I believe VMI is at UR in 2011 (Sept. 17), and UR @ VMI in 2012, and that is the end of the current 6-game contract......(see that VMI crowd in the photo? Easily 5,000. Only JMU brought that many to City Stadium the past 15-20 years, although W&M brought 2500+ each time, too)

....while VMI and The Citadel renew that fine rivalry in 2011 xhurrayx(6 year deal, home and home, 1st game in Charleston 10/29/11).

Redbird Ray
April 28th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Eastern Illinois. I don't remember what the number of meetings is, but it's the oldest and longest running football rivalry in Illinois college football.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 28th, 2010, 09:05 AM
For UNH, it would be Dartmouth, but the series is on hold at the moment. Before they joined the league, we played Northeastern even more often than Dartmouth, but it never generated the same emotion. Probably because it was a one-sided series. And, well, it just didn't have that "State U" vs. Ivy aspect to it.

I don't think Cobblestone posts here any more, so for him I'll also say Brown for URI.

SpeedkingATL
April 28th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I agree with many others that James Madison has been a great rivalry for ASU but we need to play on a more consistant basis. Montana is a possibility with future games scheduled. South Carolina State, Richmond, and McNeese have some promise too.

asu3peat
April 28th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I agree with Speedking, JMU, Richmond and SC State seem to be the best OOC rivals. I'd love to get a home and home with SC State (ASU plays away first), as well as the others. These three teams make sense just based purely on proximity. The future series with Montana and McNeese St. are awesome but I don't see this becoming a common series (much to my dismay) based purely on logistics and money. Another possibility could be Coastal Carolina sense App played them a couple of times and several fans were lobbying for them to be brought into the Socon over Samford.

msusig
April 28th, 2010, 10:17 AM
xchinscratchx The only non-conference team I can think of that McNeese has played somewhat consistently over the last 11 years is Southern Utah (6 games) xeekx

That should change.

PantherRob82
April 28th, 2010, 10:20 AM
For us it's Drake, Iowa, and Iowa State. unforunately we rotate Iowa and Iowa State, Drake is every now and then, and none of us compete on the same playing field.

Kemo
April 28th, 2010, 02:06 PM
For SDSU, recently I always felt we had a good rivalry going with Cal Poly over the recent years, and it seemed pretty friendly with mutual respect. Too bad we aren't playing them this year, and I'm not sure how often we'll play in the future either.

USD will undoubtedly become our biggest non conference rival when we start playing them again, but there isn't a game scheduled between the two schools and it honestly wouldn't bother me if we ever played them again (though I'm not against the game either).

jstclmet
April 28th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Depends on your perspective.....
Outside the CAA, and given recent history, I guess you'd have to say UPenn.
Outside the BE, Delaware.
Outside Pa (old history), BC.
Inside Pa (old Indy perspective), Penn State

But, really.....It's the games within the CAA that should be on ESPN every week.

The SOCON, MVFC, BSKY, and GW do not want to dance with the CAA prior to the playoffs as they know they cannot afford the "L" and still make the playoffs. Kudos to SDSU for making the trip to face off against UD.

The other conferences dare take a chance because an upset "W" just might get them into the playoffs.

I understand the economic times and the cost of travel and all, but since everyone will soon make the playoffs anyway, let's play some good cross sectional ball.

Who dares come to the MAIN LINE first??? xnottalkingx

Franks Tanks
April 28th, 2010, 02:27 PM

But, really.....It's the games within the CAA that should be on ESPN every week.

The SOCON, MVFC, BSKY, and GW do not want to dance with the CAA prior to the playoffs as they know they cannot afford the "L" and still make the playoffs. Kudos to SDSU for making the trip to face off against UD.

The other conferences dare take a chance because an upset "W" just might get them into the playoffs.

I understand the economic times and the cost of travel and all, but since everyone will soon make the playoffs anyway, let's play some good cross sectional ball.

Penn State??? When was the last time Nova played Penn State in football?

bostonspider
April 28th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I believe VMI is at UR in 2011 (Sept. 17), and UR @ VMI in 2012, and that is the end of the current 6-game contract......(see that VMI crowd in the photo? Easily 5,000. Only JMU brought that many to City Stadium the past 15-20 years, although W&M brought 2500+ each time, too)

Well I hope UR and VMI extend the current 6 year deal then. There is great history between the schools, and VMI has so many alums in Richmond, that the game seems a natural.

P.S. W&M brought at least 5K to UR Stadium last season, maybe even 6 or 7K (out of 20K total)

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs086.snc3/15332_183748765757_506630757_2875052_6605358_n.jpg

MplsBison
April 28th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I don't consider NDSU-UND a non-conference rivalry.

We have yet to play them outside the old NCC and by the time we play them again in football there's a strong chance that we'll in the same conference again.

I'd love to see an every year non-conference game with Montana and Montana State, but probably not going to happen.

Redbird Ray
April 28th, 2010, 03:04 PM

Why don't you stop inflating your (CAA) resume's with wins over non-schollies and D2 teams first. Then, let's get a MVFC/CAA challenge. Our best 9 against your best 9. The MVFC would be up for it. It might be the only way ESPNU would air an entire weekend of FCS football.

Redbird Ray
April 28th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Our best 9 against your best 9.

Actually, our only 9. But still our best 9 dammit! xlolx

jstclmet
April 28th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Actually, our only 9. But still our best 9 dammit! xlolx

I'm up for it. I'd even put up a case of your favorite beverage vs a case of mine on which conference would win the most games. If only we could get both Commish's and all AD's to agree. Although, I think we should spread it over 9 weeks. On one weekend there would be a very good game that would go unnoticed.

bostonspider
April 28th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Picture of the 1949 UR-VMI game, called the Tobacco Bowl. Game was won 14-7 by the Keydets.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3213/2898494211_64856baf59_o.jpg

mad_dog97
April 28th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Picture of the 1949 UR-VMI game, called the Tobacco Bowl. Game was won 14-7 by the Keydets.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3213/2898494211_64856baf59_o.jpg

Wow . . I can't believe it . . the stadium was nicer in 1949 than it is now Even had some covered seating for part of the visitors section. :D

Glad you guys are moving out of that hole

bostonspider
April 28th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Wow . . I can't believe it . . the stadium was nicer in 1949 than it is now Even had some covered seating for part of the visitors section. :D

Glad you guys are moving out of that hole

That I think was its biggest problem, it never changed in the 50 years since 1949....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3240/4561014319_3da4db3be9_o.jpg

yorkcountyUNHfan
April 28th, 2010, 04:59 PM
For UNH, it would be Dartmouth, but the series is on hold at the moment. Before they joined the league, we played Northeastern even more often than Dartmouth, but it never generated the same emotion. Probably because it was a one-sided series. And, well, it just didn't have that "State U" vs. Ivy aspect to it.

I don't think Cobblestone posts here any more, so for him I'll also say Brown for URI.

Now that Dartmouth has quit us, I think it may be UNI.

Redbird Ray
April 28th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I'm up for it. I'd even put up a case of your favorite beverage vs a case of mine on which conference would win the most games. If only we could get both Commish's and all AD's to agree. Although, I think we should spread it over 9 weeks. On one weekend there would be a very good game that would go unnoticed.

I like the idea of spreading it out and then trying to get ESPNU to give us a permanent slot on like a Thursday night each week. I know Thursday night games are usually not ideal for anyone, but I think that sort of format would have a realistic shot at airing on TV. ESPNU tends to turn into Power6U on Saturdays. I wouldn't even think about asking the major ESPN networks to sign onto this.

But hell, the quality of football for the most part would be just as good as most of those crappy MAC midweek games, and in some cases probably better attended also. So if this happens, you can put me down for a case of Yuengling (sp?). Maybe some Dogfish Head. I'll keep it real with the CAA regional beers. xlolx

Fordham
April 28th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Columbia

SoCon48
April 28th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Well, if you believe the press guides, it's West Chester. I think it's a bigger game for WCU than UD though. Maybe DelState will turn into something. At least it's a win over an FCS opponent.

Being a D2 it's as it should.

superman7515
April 28th, 2010, 08:37 PM
The only reason I say that is because, if we're counting the schools as a whole and not just the teams, there are a lot of PA kids going to UD and vice-versa. The UD band absolutely hates the WCU band with a passion, and the band people will go on forever about how rude and disrespectful yadda yadda yadda the WCU band is. Now as far as for the teams themselves, no question it's a warm-up game for UD. I'm glad they are bringing it to an end.

Redwyn
April 28th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Frankly....we really don't have one anymore. Liberty has potential, but unfortunately due to their current and previous public pronouncements our school's administration would be out of its mind to admit to that. Frankly I don't think they're interested either anyway. Albany has verbalized their refusal to play us until they're full scholly, which won't happen till they leave the NEC. And frankly it's a push to even call us rivals in anything but Lacrosse anyway - they certainly don't think of us as rivals.

At the end of the day, after losing Hofstra the only schools that match us as large scale public universities with strong research pedigrees in the local area are Rutgers and U Conn - all FBS. Buffalo sort of does, but they're a better match to Ohio than downstate NY. Syracuse as a private school fits better than Buffalo...and at the moment sits in the same conference as U Conn and Rutgers. Long shot, and not in the immediate future. No one has to say that (yet I know someone will jump on that soapbox anyway). But an equal number have little right to say a school that is building towards a student population of 28K and has the international prestige SBU has can't do it.

Unfortunately...After the Hofstra disbanding I don't see us with a worthwhile rival in FCS..period. That's a very deadly situation, one that has doomed more than one program in the very recent past. SBU has to make a decision..and soon. Either they pump the program and push FBS, or disband. Football is too expensive to play without any hope of a tradition building game. I have mild hope that a new conference can help create a rival, but I can't even find a school on the FCS map that would work.

McNeese75
April 28th, 2010, 09:55 PM
That should change.

So what OOC team do you think we will play 6 or more teams over the next 10-12 years?

kdinva
April 29th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Well I hope UR and VMI extend the current 6 year deal then. There is great history between the schools, and VMI has so many alums in Richmond, that the game seems a natural.

P.S. W&M brought at least 5K to UR Stadium last season, maybe even 6 or 7K (out of 20K total)

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs086.snc3/15332_183748765757_506630757_2875052_6605358_n.jpg
Thanks for the correction, I somehow forgot what an atmosphere it was there last Novemberxnodx.

Saint3333
April 29th, 2010, 08:18 AM

What a joke, the CAA teams surely aren't signing up for these tough OOC games. Look at what Montana, McNeese, and ASU just signed up for.

bostonspider
April 29th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Spiders are playing Elon in the second game of a home and home this season, so top CAA and SoCon teams have and do play each other. Though I am not so positive UR will be a top CAA team this year, too worried about our O-Line.

TokyoGriz
April 30th, 2010, 03:47 AM

Wow! you need some serious binoculars to see the game well in that stadium. You need to come to Montana and be right on top of the action!

I would vote app state for montana and south dakota state.

Some classic games, south dakota is closer logisticly, but we have some games coming up with app state a home and away I think.... but the south dakota games are sure a heap of fun to watch!

Frosty The Snowbuff
April 30th, 2010, 06:36 AM
GAQ!!!!!!!

If you count FBS....ULM

Otherwise I don't know anymore....It used to be Louisiana Tech but we no longer play them....

Hood
April 30th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Only OOC teams we've played more than once that I can remember since 1999 (when I started college) were LA Tech, 2006 and 2009 (both in Ruston since it was for money), NDSU home/home (2004, 2005), Western Illinois home/home (1999, 2000), Texas Southern home/home (2003, 2004) and Southern Arkansas in 2 straight home games for us (2006, 2007). We had a home and home scheduled with Western Carolina but the 2005 game in Thibodaux was canceled due to Hurricane Rita.

I'd like to rekindle some games with Samford or Jacksonville State (yes, even after the 2009 spanking the Gamecocks gave us) and have them as OOC rivals since they used to be conference rivals before leaving the Southland.

JSU02
April 30th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I would say it's UT Chattanooga. Although they used to show us what for in the old days, it's been pretty much Jacksonville State since 2004 (4-1). Our real rival, however, was Troy before it jumped to FBS. Many of us are looking forward to renewing this series on a level playing field when JSU makes the eventual jump.

I agree on 'nooga. Had Samford not refused to play us since moving to the SoCon it would have been them, but for some reason they don't want to play us anymore xlolx

UNIFanSince1983
April 30th, 2010, 11:30 AM
It was nice when we would see McNeese almost every year. We seem to play Stephen F. Austin quite often, and we are playing them again this year. Looks like South Dakota might become a constant on the schedule, but who knows. If we keep seeing UNH in the playoffs that could happen too.

I guess we don't have a real non-con rivalry.

Keenan
May 2nd, 2010, 07:30 PM
I'd have to agree. App St. generates the biggest buzz on campus although I bet Liberty is trying to make us theirs. Its the one thing we need but with such a tough conference we don't seem to keep up these long term deals. Here's to at least one good rivalry in the coming years for JMU!xbeerchugx

If last year's JMU vs. Liberty game was any indication, I think the series could grow into a legitimate non-conference rivalry. I'm sure JMU fans won't admit as much, but the close proximity and the ambition of both schools (i.e. stadium expansion) lends itself to a healthy rivalry. I'm sure the folks in Harrisonburg will be shocked this year when so many traveling fans from Lynchburg show up on their doorstep.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 2nd, 2010, 08:38 PM
Wow! you need some serious binoculars to see the game well in that stadium.

Tokyo, that picture was taken from teh press box through some sort of weird lense.

To the original question. I would like to see Richmond continue playing Elon. The schools are only about 3 hours apart, both teams are very competitive and both fanbases seem fairly respectful.

If we don't continue playing Elon, I would like a home and home with Furman or Wofford.

KiddBrewer
May 3rd, 2010, 10:12 AM
for appalachian......it's michigan, soon to be florida.

i kid, i kid......ofcourse its JMU....or maybe its Richmond........interesting

bjtheflamesfan
May 4th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Hard to say for sure...JMU I think is becoming that now that we renewed the series with the meeting this past year and three more (2010-2012).

ur2k
May 4th, 2010, 10:57 AM
We've had a few great match-ups with App State the last few years, same with Elon. We get Elon again this coming year.

AppAlum96
May 4th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I'd have to agree, Richmond would make an excellent rival as well, even geographically.

PhoenixPhan06
May 5th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I'd love to see the Elon vs Richmond game take on rivalry status. We need to win one first IMO to justify a rivalry, but the last two were, and hopefully the third on 9/18 will be great games!!

The playoff game at UR in '09 in this matchup and the season opener in '08 gave fans a good idea of the fan bases capable of traveling which is critical in developing a true rivalry.

Aho_Old_Guy
May 10th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Wake Forest can run away, but they cannot hide.

At a minimum we should be playing every other year.

What's wrong? Are the Girlie Men in Winston-Salem skeered of Yosef?

(no offense, ladies...)