PDA

View Full Version : Mack Brown member of former SoCon HC done good club

oldsouthernman
January 4th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Mack Brown, Dick Sheridan, Bobby Ross, Paul Johnson, Sparky Woods, Tommy West, Joe Morrisson, Art Baker, Pat Dye, George Chaump, Jim Donnan, Bill Oliver, Charlie Taffe, Erk Russell, Bob Waters, etc all have been great SoCon coaches since 1974. Other conferences have long, proud lists as well, but those guys stack up with any 1-AA conference during the last 33 years.

SoCon48
January 4th, 2006, 11:44 PM
and Jerry Moore. Winningest coach in SoCon history.

chattanoogamocs
January 5th, 2006, 12:09 AM
hmm...

App State Coach Jerry Moore wins national championship

former App State Coach Mack Brown wins BCS championship

in the same season.

gsugt1
January 5th, 2006, 06:43 AM
and Jerry Moore. Winningest coach in SoCon history.
There is a reason. He has been there 17 years.The other coaches don't hang around. They go on to bigger things. Not saying he couldn't but the numbers are skewed. Paul Johnson might just the best coach the Socon has ever seen.

Reed Rothchild
January 5th, 2006, 08:44 AM
hmm...

App State Coach Jerry Moore wins national championship

former App State Coach Mack Brown wins BCS championship

in the same season.

KARMA!!!

Too bad it worked against us!

Bub
January 5th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Take away Vince Young and Texas wins nada. I don't think Vince Young's taking the game on his back shows Brown is a great coach. By the same token Carroll was exposed as a less than great defensive coordinator. Obviously they both recruit quite well.

SoCon48
January 5th, 2006, 09:15 AM
There is a reason. He has been there 17 years.The other coaches don't hang around. They go on to bigger things. Not saying he couldn't but the numbers are skewed. Paul Johnson might just the best coach the Socon has ever seen.

The fact that he had only one losing season in 17 years has a little something to do with it. Still finished 4th in the SoCon the year of the losing season. One game was to a I-A and the other to Marshall who finished #2 in the nation. Otherwise that wouldn't have been a losing season either. Bounced back with a 9-4 the next season.
Still the winningest coach in the SoCon. Looking at Mack Brown's accomplishments, maybe he would have been the winningest had he stuck around another 16 years. :cool:

SoCon48
January 5th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Take away Vince Young and Texas wins nada. I don't think Vince Young's taking the game on his back shows Brown is a great coach. By the same token Carroll was exposed as a less than great defensive coordinator. Obviously they both recruit quite well.

1. He recruited Young.
2. They won much more than nada before Young arrived.

SoCon48
January 5th, 2006, 09:21 AM
They go on to bigger things. Not saying he couldn't but the numbers are skewed. Paul Johnson might just the best coach the Socon has ever seen.

Wallace Wade, Doak Walker, Frank Howard, Dick Sheridan, Bob Waters, Jim Donan, Jim Tatum, Pat Dye, et. al. might have a little something to say about that.

OL FU
January 5th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Wallace Wade, Doak Walker, Frank Howard, Dick Sheridan, Bob Waters, Jim Donan, Jim Tatum, Pat Dye, et. al. might have a little something to say about that.

Add Lou Holtz, wasn't W&M SoCon when he was there?

Bub
January 5th, 2006, 10:18 AM
1. He recruited Young.

I gave him props for recruiting, as for the nada, I mean specifically last nights game. No Young, no chance, he won the game on his athleticism not because of anything the coach did. IMHO

The same thing could be said of Carroll, except last night his dawgs didn't make the individual effort plays, or enough of them to put USC on top. One could make the argument, that because Bush and Leinhart tried too hard to make the big play, they lost the game. Bush's attempted lateral, Leinhart waving off his coach and going for it on 4th down deep in Texas territory.

I do think Carroll did a very poor job in his role as def. coordinator. We all knew what the last play was going to be, except apparently USC and Carroll. He made no adjustments to try and contain Young. Granted, it may not be possible, but they did not appear to make any adjustments. Not only were his receivers always wide open, but the back side(always to his right) scramble was always open too. By the way, what in the world did #90, the left DE think his job was in that game? He apparently didn' think it was to stay home and protect against the scramble his way.

gsugt1
January 5th, 2006, 11:08 AM

I would still take PJ.

gsugt1
January 5th, 2006, 11:10 AM
The fact that he had only one losing season in 17 years has a little something to do with it. Still finished 4th in the SoCon the year of the losing season. One game was to a I-A and the other to Marshall who finished #2 in the nation. Otherwise that wouldn't have been a losing season either. Bounced back with a 9-4 the next season.
Still the winningest coach in the SoCon. Looking at Mack Brown's accomplishments, maybe he would have been the winningest had he stuck around another 16 years. :cool:

My point is that Erk or PJ could have accomplished this feat in 10 years if both had stayed around. It's about any coach staying there for 17 years when most might hang around 5. Mack Brown did a heck of job !!

SoCon48
January 5th, 2006, 12:28 PM
I would still take PJ.

You're kidding. Over Frank Howard, Sheridan, Pat Dye, and Wallace Wade???? xlolx
Then ought to burning up the NCAA at Navy then. He's 28-21.

Gave Delaware a good game and showed powerhouse Duke what's for.

SoCon48
January 5th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Add Lou Holtz, wasn't W&M SoCon when he was there?

Yep. He was 3-7, 5-7, 5-6.

Mr. C
January 5th, 2006, 01:38 PM
I gave him props for recruiting, as for the nada, I mean specifically last nights game. No Young, no chance, he won the game on his athleticism not because of anything the coach did. IMHO

The same thing could be said of Carroll, except last night his dawgs didn't make the individual effort plays, or enough of them to put USC on top. One could make the argument, that because Bush and Leinhart tried too hard to make the big play, they lost the game. Bush's attempted lateral, Leinhart waving off his coach and going for it on 4th down deep in Texas territory.

I do think Carroll did a very poor job in his role as def. coordinator. We all knew what the last play was going to be, except apparently USC and Carroll. He made no adjustments to try and contain Young. Granted, it may not be possible, but they did not appear to make any adjustments. Not only were his receivers always wide open, but the back side(always to his right) scramble was always open too. By the way, what in the world did #90, the left DE think his job was in that game? He apparently didn' think it was to stay home and protect against the scramble his way.
I too was shocked that USC had no contain for Young on that final play. You knew he would try to pass and if it wasn't open, he would tuck the ball and run. USC made just enough bad plays to lose the game. This wasn't as good of a Trojan team as they had been the previous two years, even with the emergence of Reggie Bush. They were much more balanced in 2003-04 and were probably better with Carson Palmer at QB and Mike Williams around as a WR. Matt Leinert didn't have near the year as a senior as he did as a junior and I now question how good of and NFL QB he will be.

bobcatfan06
January 5th, 2006, 02:04 PM
1. He recruited Young.

What did they win before Young arrived?? An ass kicking from OU every year? Choking in every big game they had??

They damn sure didn't win anything before Young arrived. 1 Big XII championship in like '96 or something and nothing else. Absolutely nothing after that. :asswhip:

Mr. C
January 5th, 2006, 02:04 PM
On the subject of Mack Brown, it was a nice bookend for him to win in the same year as Jerry Moore and Appalachian State did. Mack Brown was basically the start of the modern ASU football program and the foundation for its success. He was only in Boone for one year, but he brought Sparky Woods in as his offensive coordinator and Woods built the team into a I-AA power. Jerry Moore took that foundation and has built on it over the years, making ASU consistently one of the top programs in I-AA, with 13 playoff appearances and now a national championship in 17 years.

Incidently, a friend from Boone who travels around a lot, nationally and internationally in his job, had moved here just about the time that Mack Brown came to town and got to know him in his short time here. They recently bumped into each other somewhere and my friend got a note in the mail a short time later from Mack, saying it was nice to see him again. That is Mack Brown's true gift as a head coach. He is a people person, a great recruiter and fundraiser, who puts the right people in place to do the other aspects of the job, such as Xs and Os (not Mack's strength from all I've heard).

FlyBoy8
January 5th, 2006, 02:13 PM
You're kidding. Over Frank Howard, Sheridan, Pat Dye, and Wallace Wade???? Then ought to burning up the NCAA at Navy then. He's 28-21.

I don't know about who is better than who, but you can't judge a coach based on his performance at a service academy. You're not just recruiting kids for football there, you're recruiting them for military service. It's a tough sell these days.

Bobby Ross went 4-7 this year at Army. Still a great coach.

soweagle
January 5th, 2006, 02:23 PM
IMHO Jim Donnan should not be on that list. Good coach but not the calibre of the others.

BusinessEagle
January 5th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Actually, Erk Russell should not be on that list. Georgia Southern was a I-AA Independent when Erk the Great was our coach. We were members of the Tran-America Athletic Conference (TAAC), now Atlantic Sun, for all other men's sports and also in the New South Women's Athletic Conference in women's sports. I think that conference eventually folded into the TAAC. Before we joined the Southern Conference, only ETSU and UTC played us in football regularly. GSU has played more football games against UTC than any other school in our history.

OL FU
January 5th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Yep. He was 3-7, 5-7, 5-6.

Really :confused:

Can't say I was that big of a fan of Holtz but I would have thought his record was better than that.

Mr. C
January 5th, 2006, 05:48 PM
IMHO Jim Donnan should not be on that list. Good coach but not the calibre of the others.
Is our bias of Georgia showing? Jim Donnan won a I-AA title at Marshall and took the Herd to the championship game in 1991, 92, 93 and 95. The 1994 team went to the semifinals and in 1996, Bob Pruett won a national championship with a team that was put together by Donnan (with the addition of Randy Moss and Eric Kresser, though Marshall already had a better QB on board with Chad Pennington). Donnan was 104-40 during his career, 64-21 at Marshall. That's pretty comparable to what Paul Johnson did at Georgia Southern. I covered Jim Donnan when he was at Marshall and always thought he was a great coach, though Jerry Moore always seemed to be his nemesis.

soweagle
January 6th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Yeah, you pretty much nailed me right there Mr.C. :) However, didn't the Herd's NCAA problems focus mainly around when Donnan was the coach? Or am I thinking of someone else?

SoCon48
January 6th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Really :confused:

Can't say I was that big of a fan of Holtz but I would have thought his record was better than that.

Later of course with the Bucky twins. But not at Bill and Marie.

SoCon48
January 6th, 2006, 09:32 AM
I don't know about who is better than who, but you can't judge a coach based on his performance at a service academy. You're not just recruiting kids for football there, you're recruiting them for military service. It's a tough sell these days.

Bobby Ross went 4-7 this year at Army. Still a great coach.

Just referring to the "bigger and better" comment.

BTW. People should keep in mind what you said when talking about VMI and The Citadel.