PDA

View Full Version : What Makes I-AA So Great?

seeker
January 4th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I know people here can give me some opinions. What makes I-AA so great? I posted a poll to get an idea which aspect was the most important but feel free to post more aspects.

Thanks and I really enjoy reading this board!

slostang
January 4th, 2006, 05:38 PM
The number one reason I-AA is so great is that it decides its National Champion through a playoff system.

bandl
January 4th, 2006, 06:28 PM
PLAYOFFS. EARN IT ON THE FIELD.

blackfordpu
January 4th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Playoffs will be the big winner here.

RadMann
January 4th, 2006, 08:22 PM
My alma mater plays football in I-AA. That is what makes it great for me....

carney2
January 4th, 2006, 08:28 PM
THE Game.

Ivytalk
January 5th, 2006, 08:29 AM
THE Game.

Right you are! I look forward to Harvard-Yale every year!

65 Pard
January 5th, 2006, 08:45 AM
In reality I must admit there are two THE GAMEs in 1AA

Harvard-Yale
Lafayette-Lehigh (most played series in college football)

The only thing to rival the above in tradition and intensity in lA is Army-Navy

OL FU
January 5th, 2006, 09:02 AM
I admit that the Game(s), the Classics are great but they would exist no matter what division or sub-classifications the participants were in.

If Harvard and Yale were I-A or Div III there would still be the game. Since I-A does not have a playoff (I forgot the Ivies don't have playoff either), for most of I-AA the playoffs is what differentiates us. If I-A had a playoff, my answer would have been allowing participation in football at a lower cost.

carney2
January 5th, 2006, 09:04 AM
In reality I must admit there are two THE GAMEs in 1AA

Harvard-Yale
Lafayette-Lehigh (most played series in college football)

The only thing to rival the above in tradition and intensity in lA is Army-Navy

Two "THE Games?!" You have gone to the dark side.

buckp
January 5th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Someone else said it on the old board - "You can get really close to the players and coaches in I-AA"....
I like the fact that I can walk up to our coach or one of our players and congratulate them on a good/great game. I even like thanking the opposing team for coming and enjoy just talking to them face-to-face. :nod:

blukeys
January 5th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Great Programs with Great Traditions.

Great Fans with Great Intensity.

Great Posts of Bodacious Chicks.

I Really like that last one!

snapshot
January 5th, 2006, 11:31 AM
The top playoff and top D-I champ makes it great plus the HBCUs and diversity.

SU Jag
January 5th, 2006, 12:00 PM
All of the above! :)

seeker
January 5th, 2006, 12:07 PM
All of the above! :)How come you didn't vote for any?

SU Jag
January 5th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Because all of those things make 1-AA football great. We crown a real champion, and not one based on opinion or popularity! You have diversity from Montana to Yale from FAMU to Texas State! Plus we have the big HBCU games, with the bands and all of the other great things. We have more of a family enviroment in 1-AA and I love that!

HiHiYikas
January 5th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Besides the playoffs, the diversity is a real plus. Seems like a lot of the schools fit into the "Regional Master's University" category, but there plenty of very impressive exceptions. Lafayette, Richmond, and Furman just to name a few.

I don't know how tough it is to be competitive as a small, private school at the I-AA level. Furman's continued success, including the only private school I-AA National Championship, is especially noteworthy.

Just scanning this year's playoff field...you've got 14 states represented, 3 National Universities (albeit smaller ones), 9 Master's U's, 4 Lib Arts Schools.

Average size - about 8,700 students. 4 under 3,000 students, and 6 over 10,000 (7 if you want to count UNI, listed at 9,989).

seeker
January 5th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Because all of those things make 1-AA football great. We crown a real champion, and not one based on opinion or popularity! You have diversity from Montana to Yale from FAMU to Texas State! Plus we have the big HBCU games, with the bands and all of the other great things. We have more of a family enviroment in 1-AA and I love that!I voted for six of the choices.

gokats85
January 5th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Without a doubt, it's the playoffs! Last team standing wins the championship. As Ross Perot would say, "It's just cut and dry. That's all there is to it, it's so simple. It ain't brain surgery; if it was, you'da washed you hands first!" (OK that last one was made up)

McNeese72
January 6th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Someone else said it on the old board - "You can get really close to the players and coaches in I-AA"....
I like the fact that I can walk up to our coach or one of our players and congratulate them on a good/great game. I even like thanking the opposing team for coming and enjoy just talking to them face-to-face. :nod:

It might have been me. I can go up to the Field House almost anytime and say hello to the coaches and players. Drop by Tommy's office, if he isn't busy and talk to him. Try doing that at most I-A schools.

As mentioned the playoffs also make I-AA great.

But another big reason, is that most of the fans are alumni of the schools they support or are, at least, locals near the schools they support. There are less bandwagon fans who are pulling for the team because they like the uniforms or because they are winning this season and it is the "thing" to do. This usually results in the fans being more knowledgable about their teams and I-AA in general.

Doc