PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Recruiting - Holy Cross

carney2
April 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM
HOLY CROSS = 74

The word on the street has been that Holy Cross did very well with this recruiting class. Sometimes “the word” is right. This is a very good group. Five 2 stars is the most for one class since the Patsy Ratings began. The Committee tried to find some flaws and could only nit pick that there is only one rated skill position player.

QUALITY = 33: Details, and a comparison with prior years:
2010: 12 rated players, 5 of them 2 stars with one confirmed (received 2 stars from both rating services).
2009: 7 rated recruits; no 2 stars
2008: 10 rated recruits; two 2 stars
2007: 2 rated recruits; no 2 stars

CLASS SIZE = 7: 31 recruits. Expectations were for a group even larger than this.

DISTRIBUTION = 8: No TE. (Is the tight end headed for extinction?)

SPEED = 12: The usual disclaimer: there is limited information for this category, and even that information is questionable.

TRIGGER = 0: 1 recruit; no rating from either recruiting service. See Needs below for further discussion.

JUMBO = 6: 5 OL, 3 @ 270+; 8 DL, 3 @ 250+

NEEDS = 8

DB = 4 (of 5): 5 recruits, 1 rated, a 2 star. Adequate numbers, but The Committee needed to see better indications of quality before awarding maximum points.
DL = 4 (of 4): Coach Gilmore hit a home run with this group. Eight recruits, 4 rated, two 2 stars, and 3 are 250+. Maybe a little undersized as a group, but a lot of talent here.
QB = 0 (of 3): 1 recruit; not rated. A spirited debate at Committee headquarters about whether or not 1 Patsy Point was merited. On the plus side, the kid put up some gaudy numbers and was 1st team all-state. As for the negatives, the state was Vermont which is not noted for its high school football, and the recruiting service void indicates that he was not a hot item. Lafayette has a similar recruit, but from Florida, and they got no points. The best thing that can be said about the Holy Cross recruit is the same that can be said about the Lafayette recruit: “He’s certainly big enough” (6’5”, 220 for the future ‘sader). Here’s hoping these two fight it out for offensive player of the year in 2013, but no points were awarded.

THE COMMITTEE’S ADJUSTMENTS = 0

THE RATINGS RACE With 3 To Go:

81 Lehigh
74 Holy Cross
60 Lafayette
28 Fordham*
*Fordham has gone full scholarship. Patsy Rating methodology may not be
appropriate for scholarship football.

RichH2
April 17th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Gilmore really restocked his D with some excellent LBs and DL. HC D has not been very good last few yrs, but with Dom wasn't really an issue made for some exciting games. HC will need their D this upcoming season to be competitive. Would not be surprised to see 3 or 4 of these kids on the 2 deep.

Pard94
April 19th, 2010, 11:03 AM
HOLY CROSS = 74

The word on the street has been that Holy Cross did very well with this recruiting class. Sometimes “the word” is right. This is a very good group. Five 2 stars is the most for one class since the Patsy Ratings began. The Committee tried to find some flaws and could only nit pick that there is only one rated skill position player.

QUALITY = 33: Details, and a comparison with prior years:
2010: 12 rated players, 5 of them 2 stars with one confirmed (received 2 stars from both rating services).
2009: 7 rated recruits; no 2 stars
2008: 10 rated recruits; two 2 stars
2007: 2 rated recruits; no 2 stars

CLASS SIZE = 7: 31 recruits. Expectations were for a group even larger than this.

DISTRIBUTION = 8: No TE. (Is the tight end headed for extinction?)

SPEED = 12: The usual disclaimer: there is limited information for this category, and even that information is questionable.

TRIGGER = 0: 1 recruit; no rating from either recruiting service. See Needs below for further discussion.

JUMBO = 6: 5 OL, 3 @ 270+; 8 DL, 3 @ 250+

NEEDS = 8

DB = 4 (of 5): 5 recruits, 1 rated, a 2 star. Adequate numbers, but The Committee needed to see better indications of quality before awarding maximum points.
DL = 4 (of 4): Coach Gilmore hit a home run with this group. Eight recruits, 4 rated, two 2 stars, and 3 are 250+. Maybe a little undersized as a group, but a lot of talent here.
QB = 0 (of 3): 1 recruit; not rated. A spirited debate at Committee headquarters about whether or not 1 Patsy Point was merited. On the plus side, the kid put up some gaudy numbers and was 1st team all-state. As for the negatives, the state was Vermont which is not noted for its high school football, and the recruiting service void indicates that he was not a hot item. Lafayette has a similar recruit, but from Florida, and they got no points. The best thing that can be said about the Holy Cross recruit is the same that can be said about the Lafayette recruit: “He’s certainly big enough” (6’5”, 220 for the future ‘sader). Here’s hoping these two fight it out for offensive player of the year in 2013, but no points were awarded.

THE COMMITTEE’S ADJUSTMENTS = 0

THE RATINGS RACE With 3 To Go:

81 Lehigh
74 Holy Cross
60 Lafayette
28 Fordham*
*Fordham has gone full scholarship. Patsy Rating methodology may not be
appropriate for scholarship football.

Let the record show...I called this outcome last week. Here's the proof

http://lafayettesports.myfreeforum.org/about1089.html

My prediction was based on analysis rooted squarely in what I call the Carney Effect. Simply put, Lafayette can never finish higher than 3rd in the Patsy Ratings. Any finish higher than third would call into question every pesimistic belief Carney holds dear...and his head may explode. If the math supports a higher finish than third place for the Leopards Carney reserves the right to inject some bogey real or imagined in order to scuttle the Lafayette rankings. This year Lafayette's inability to recruit an incoming Freshman QB despite the fact that Lafayette already has three viable starters none of whom are Seniors factored significantly in Lafayette's overall ranking. Carney is the Keeper of the Patsy Keys and the QB "problem" weighed heavily on the Key Master. The rest of the Carney Effect states that, while Lehigh does not have to finish first in the rankings, it can never be ranked below Lafayette.

In fact I will now accurately predict the Patsy Rating for 2011 and save Carney a whole heap of work. Here goes...

1. Lehigh (The team Carney loves to hate and hates to subconsciously love)
2. Colgate
3. Holy Cross
4. Lafayette (This ranking is predicated on the belief that we will go out and recruit a third string long snapper. If we don't this ranking slips to just behind Georgetown)
5. Bucknell
6. Georgetown

Bogus Megapardus
April 19th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Let the record show...I called this outcome last week. Here's the proof

http://lafayettesports.myfreeforum.org/about1089.html

P94 - if you post the double-secret address of the Lafayette Sports Board like that, someone might actually read it.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Simply put, Lafayette can never finish higher than 3rd in the Patsy Ratings. Any finish higher than third would call into question every pesimistic belief Carney holds dear...and his head may explode. If the math supports a higher finish than third place for the Leopards Carney reserves the right to inject some bogey real or imagined in order to scuttle the Lafayette rankings.

Have some compassion for poor carney. I think he's looping the Al Pierce interception and playing it ad nauseum in his sunlight-free room. Think "Fever Pitch" and the replay of Bill Buckner's Game 6 gaffe over and over again. xlolx

carney2
April 19th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Heavens to mergatroid, my old friend 94 seems to be having a severe backup of liver bile. But I live to serve. If he didn't have me to kick around and relieve the stress, we'd be reading about him in section A. He needs a history lesson however. His beloved Pards actually placed number one in the Patsy Ratings in the first year - 2007 I believe.

There is a cure for all of this - recruit better. I have contended frequently before that Lafayette's facilities give them a recruiting edge that is not being fully exploited. It could be that the coaching staff is being hamstrung by the administration, but the alumni who chipped in for that Taj Mafootball are not getting full bang for their buck in the recruiting process. 94 and his fellow travelers would counter that the recruiting is going just fine. I have 4 words for he and his friends:

Show me the trophy!

I'll expand it to five words for anyone out there who does not have the benefit of an elite Patriot League education:

SHOW ME THE FREAKIN' TROPHY!!!!!

Oh yeah, LFN, for you and your fellow South Mountain Buzzards, the same to you. You are at the other end of this argument, but showing even lesser results.

One final word to 94 and his psychiatrist, I don't make it up. I have virtually no control over the point distribution and the final rankings. As flawed as it is - and it is seriously flawed - the Patsy Rankings are about as objective as we can get in this silly game of evaluating 18 year old football recruits. I contend (again) that if 94 or LFN or anyone sat down with the Patsy Rules and the school press releases, all of us would arrive at the exact same point totals in 6 of the 8 categories.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Oh yeah, LFN, for you and your fellow South Mountain Buzzards, the same to you. You are at the other end of this argument, but showing even lesser results.

I cannot argue. xbawlingx

Franks Tanks
April 19th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Heavens to mergatroid, my old friend 94 seems to be having a severe backup of liver bile. But I live to serve. If he didn't have me to kick around and relieve the stress, we'd be reading about him in section A. He needs a history lesson however. His beloved Pards actually placed number one in the Patsy Ratings in the first year - 2007 I believe.

There is a cure for all of this - recruit better. I have contended frequently before that Lafayette's facilities give them a recruiting edge that is not being fully exploited. It could be that the coaching staff is being hamstrung by the administration, but the alumni who chipped in for that Taj Mafootball are not getting full bang for their buck in the recruiting process. 94 and his fellow travelers would counter that the recruiting is going just fine. I have 4 words for he and his friends:

Show me the trophy!

I'll expand it to five words for anyone out there who does not have the benefit of an elite Patriot League education:

One final word to 94 and his psychiatrist, I don't make it up. I have virtually no control over the point distribution and the final rankings. As flawed as it is - and it is seriously flawed - the Patsy Rankings are about as objective as we can get in this silly game of evaluating 18 year old football recruits. I contend (again) that if 94 or LFN or anyone sat down with the Patsy Rules and the school press releases, all of us would arrive at the exact same point totals in 6 of the 8 categories.

We were within a Leopard whisker last year. May I remind you that even with the Holy Cross loss we had a chance to share the title save for a poor pass by Mr. Curley and some dubious play calling.

RichH2
April 19th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Last year is done. I for one want to put that yr away , also truth be told the last 4, and move on to next yr. Hope springs eternal. No one has a lock next yr s/b very competitive.

Geez, guys we s/b thanking Carney not picking on him. The system perhaps could be tweaked a bit but it is as objective a system for non schollie FB as can be fashioned IMHO. If we go schollie then the system may have to be adjusted somewhat. Nevertheless lets remeber the era before The Curmudgeon created the Patsy, a stetch of sheer and utter boredom waiting for a few crumbs of news during spring practice. Admit it we all look forward to his ratings and he is right using his system I come out with just about same results.

carney2
April 19th, 2010, 07:02 PM
We were within a Leopard whisker last year. May I remind you that even with the Holy Cross loss we had a chance to share the title save for a poor pass by Mr. Curley and some dubious play calling.

Wouldabeen. Couldabeen. Shouldabeen. It's all loserspeak. Recruit the players and you'll get it done. Just show me the trophy!

Franks Tanks
April 19th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Wouldabeen. Couldabeen. Shouldabeen. It's all loserspeak. Recruit the players and you'll get it done. Just show me the trophy!

Our players were good enough to win the league, but we didnt quite get it done. Thats all.

DFW HOYA
April 19th, 2010, 07:24 PM
I appreciate the Ratings inasmuch as it gives the fans some barometer of the recruiting season when none exists otherwise.

For the I-A and larger I-AA schools, there are enough services that track recruits you can easily figure if Penn State "lost" a recruit to West Virginia or had a better recruiting class than Michigan State or Syracuse.

For the PL no one outside the coaches really knows if a recruit really chose Georgetown over Lafayette, Holy Cross, or Division III schools. We don't know if a school signed their first choice recruits or were filling the class when a quarter of the recruits went elsewhere. Absent any interest in tracking this out of the PL's two newspapers, a quantitative review of the process, albeit predictable (Colgate's class, good, Georgetown's class, less so) is a good thing.

Bogus Megapardus
April 19th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Just show me the trophy

I can't argue with c2's logic here. Last year's "shouldas" in Worcester and Bethlehem earned me a seat watching someone else play Villanova in the first round. Those loses were inexcusable.

Still, it was a very good Lafayette team. Some said it was quite special, and I agree. Now that team largely has graduated and one can only hope that the incoming class can fill the shoes left behind.

My only real comment on the Patsy Ratings is that so much is dependent on the "star rating" from Rivals. The difference between a two star and a one star (or even a no-star) is really a crap shoot and the "stars" awarded to a potential recruit often are largely the result of self-promotion by the kid and his parents. Call it what you will, but kids who are going to attend Lafayette or Georgetown or Colgate tend not to have parents who promote their kids to arbitrary rating services. How many high-performing, standout players at Lafayette ever had any "stars" at all?

One thing cant be said with certainly about the Patsy Ratings: Never will there be an accusation of bias in favor of the home team.

ngineer
April 19th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I can't argue with c2's logic here. Last year's "shouldas" in Worcester and Bethlehem earned me a seat watching someone else play Villanova in the first round. Those loses were inexcusable.

Still, it was a very good Lafayette team. Some said it was quite special, and I agree. Now that team largely has graduated and one can only hope that the incoming class can fill the shoes left behind.

My only real comment on the Patsy Ratings is that so much is dependent on the "star rating" from Rivals. The difference between a two star and a one star (or even a no-star) is really a crap shoot and the "stars" awarded to a potential recruit often are largely the result of self-promotion by the kid and his parents. Call it what you will, but kids who are going to attend Lafayette or Georgetown or Colgate tend not to have parents who promote their kids to arbitrary rating services. How many high-performing, standout players at Lafayette ever had any "stars" at all?

One thing cant be said with certainly about the Patsy Ratings: Never will there be an accusation of bias in favor of the home team.

I've always been a believer that 'C2' is, indeed, a curmudgeon who purposely grouses about his puddy-tats and purposely builds up Lehigh's recruiting class just to sandbag us later.;)

breezy
April 20th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Back to the Holy Cross rating, which does indeed reflect a very good class.

I only have one nit to pick with your nit pick (which does not affect the scoring). I think there are two rated skill position players (two WRs), not one.

Pard94
April 20th, 2010, 08:21 AM

Show me the trophy!

Carney...all of my postings with the exception of posts made leading up to and directed at Lehigh fans are done with a smile on my face. No bile intended. For instance my pearly whites are on full display as I reiterate my problem isn't with the points or how they are distrubuted. It is the basis on which the points are doled out. You ask people for what the general concensus is as far as recruting needs. You look at what the coaches say, you look at rosters. You take them into consideration and then, it would seem, you throw your big concern (this year the lack of a QB) on top when it comes to Lafayette. And let's face it Carney my friend...you are never without a big concern. This year Tavani and his staff made it clear that they weren't looking for yet another QB. All but I believe one other poster (albeit a well respected poster) agreed that the QB position was pretty well set for the next couple of years. Yet...significant points were deducted for the lack of an incoming Frosh QB becuase that is one of 3 trillion things that must keep you up at night. Don't get me wrong...the Patsy Rankins are a fun and informative exercise each year. I just know to add 5 points on to Lafayette's final score to make up for the Carney Effect.

carney2
April 20th, 2010, 09:18 AM
[/U][/B]

I've always been a believer that 'C2' is, indeed, a curmudgeon who purposely grouses about his puddy-tats and purposely builds up Lehigh's recruiting class just to sandbag us later.;)

Recognizing the smiley winky face for what it is, but stating again for those who don't: I don't make it up. Not MY numbers. I do not intentionally "build up" anyone. I would much prefer that a certain team ended up higher in the ratings, but it is what it is. etc., etc.

By the way, this is great. Something to "talk about" when there really isn't anything to talk about.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 20th, 2010, 09:29 AM
By the way, this is great. Something to "talk about" when there really isn't anything to talk about.

It sure beats railing on the decision of Holy Cross' hiring of Milan Brown, unless of course you're a member of the Crosssports community. xlolx

Pard94
April 20th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Recognizing the smiley winky face for what it is, but stating again for those who don't: I don't make it up. Not MY numbers. I do not intentionally "build up" anyone. I would much prefer that a certain team ended up higher in the ratings, but it is what it is. etc., etc.

I never said you do it intentionally by the way. It's just who you are. You're one Leopard who can't change his pesimistic spots. xlolx

carney2
April 20th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Carney...all of my postings with the exception of posts made leading up to and directed at Lehigh fans are done with a smile on my face. No bile intended. For instance my pearly whites are on full display as I reiterate my problem isn't with the points or how they are distrubuted. It is the basis on which the points are doled out. You ask people for what the general concensus is as far as recruting needs. You look at what the coaches say, you look at rosters. You take them into consideration and then, it would seem, you throw your big concern (this year the lack of a QB) on top when it comes to Lafayette. And let's face it Carney my friend...you are never without a big concern. This year Tavani and his staff made it clear that they weren't looking for yet another QB. All but I believe one other poster (albeit a well respected poster) agreed that the QB position was pretty well set for the next couple of years. Yet...significant points were deducted for the lack of an incoming Frosh QB becuase that is one of 3 trillion things that must keep you up at night. Don't get me wrong...the Patsy Rankins are a fun and informative exercise each year. I just know to add 5 points on to Lafayette's final score to make up for the Carney Effect.

Yes, 94, I am onto your game (actually, our game). You are a knowledgeable, likable guy with whom I have settled into a friendly and spirited war of wits and words. You are my home team KenZ, and your mere presence makes all of this just a little bit better. Now to your point(s) about a QB recruit:

1. I felt, and still feel, that it was a priority to place at least one top QB recruit in the pipeline. We do not, as you point out, need him for 2010 (but how many freshman QBs actually contribute anyway), but the future is inevitable.

2. I was not alone in this determination. Others (some of whom we both respect) placed QB as a top 3 priority when the request went out for opinions in this area.

3. The AGS shutdown caused me to lose some information in this area, and I was, in the end, forced to do a little more free wheeling than I might have liked.

4. I take full responsibility for all of the "Needs" and ranking thereof. In the end it's my call.

5. No points were "deducted" for lack of a top QB recruit. Rather, just like Holy Cross the Pards ended up with a void in this area.

By the way, IF QB had been replaced by some other item as number 3 Need, and IF that Need had been well met and awarded all 3 points, Lafayette's point total would have skyrocketed to 63. Check the rankings. Not all that much difference. I contend that a 10 point or less differential between teams is pretty much meaningless. When the differential gets over 10, however, there may be something to it. You will note that, even with 63 points Lafayette does not get within 10 points of the 2 teams currently ranked ahead of them.

You didn't hear it from me, but The Committee felt, and still feels, that, so far, Lafayette has the Patriot League recruiting class most likely to perform far better than its Patsy Ratings would indicate.

Now, would anyone like to discuss Holy Cross on the Holy Cross thread?

carney2
April 20th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Back to the Holy Cross rating, which does indeed reflect a very good class.

I only have one nit to pick with your nit pick (which does not affect the scoring). I think there are two rated skill position players (two WRs), not one.

You are correct. Points were properly awarded. It was merely a miscount when settling in on verbiage for the post. The original post would be corrected, but apparently AGS rules do not allow edits of posts beyond a certain point. Thank you. Much happiness at Committee HQ that someone is actually reading these things.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 20th, 2010, 09:58 AM
By the way, IF QB had been replaced by some other item as number 3 Need, and IF that Need had been well met and awarded all 3 points, Lafayette's point total would have skyrocketed to 63. Check the rankings. Not all that much difference. I contend that a 10 point or less differential between teams is pretty much meaningless. When the differential gets over 10, however, there may be something to it. You will note that, even with 63 points Lafayette does not get within 10 points of the 2 teams currently ranked ahead of them.

You have to remember, too, that attrition plays a huge factor in the reality of a PL teams' actual performance vs. their Patsy rating. Lehigh originally got 3 guys from California that were, I think, big factors in our high Patsy ratings but later "got homesick" or something and quit the team. And you 'Pards have to think as well of injuries, too, as affecting actual performance, when you think of all those running backs the past two years that got carries. All of those RBs surely padded your Patsy rating.

Pard94
April 20th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Yes, 94, I am onto your game (actually, our game). You are a knowledgeable, likable guy with whom I have settled into a friendly and spirited war of wits and words. You are my home team KenZ, and your mere presence makes all of this just a little bit better. Now to your point(s) about a QB recruit:

1. I felt, and still feel, that it was a priority to place at least one top QB recruit in the pipeline. We do not, as you point out, need him for 2010 (but how many freshman QBs actually contribute anyway), but the future is inevitable.

2. I was not alone in this determination. Others (some of whom we both respect) placed QB as a top 3 priority when the request went out for opinions in this area.

3. The AGS shutdown caused me to lose some information in this area, and I was, in the end, forced to do a little more free wheeling than I might have liked.

4. I take full responsibility for all of the "Needs" and ranking thereof. In the end it's my call.

5. No points were "deducted" for lack of a top QB recruit. Rather, just like Holy Cross the Pards ended up with a void in this area.

You didn't hear it from me, but The Committee felt, and still feels, that, so far, Lafayette has the Patriot League recruiting class most likely to perform far better than its Patsy Ratings would indicate.

Now, would anyone like to discuss Holy Cross on the Holy Cross thread?

Sure. I'll talk about Holy Cross on the Holy Cross thread. I think Carney secretly likes Holy Cross better than Lafayette. There...how was that?

carney2
April 20th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Sure. I'll talk about Holy Cross on the Holy Cross thread. I think Carney secretly likes Holy Cross better than Lafayette. There...how was that?

Great. I've been outed.

RichH2
April 20th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Rumor is that there are pictures of Carney in a Lehigh sweatshirt with a HC hat.

Ken_Z
April 20th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Rumor is that there are pictures of Carney in a Lehigh sweatshirt with a HC hat.

those were merely to disguise that Bucknell is the school he really roots for. look for the curmudgeon to become a pollyanna over the next few years as Coach Susan brings his beloved Bison back to the top.

carney2
April 20th, 2010, 03:17 PM

And soon 94 will be Photoshopping in a Colgate codpiece.

colorless raider
April 20th, 2010, 06:25 PM
We want no Pard of Colgate envy....I knew that would p--- you off.:)

ngineer
April 20th, 2010, 10:28 PM

Does that mean you are really Jerry Seinfeld in disguise??xconfusedx:D

ngineer
April 20th, 2010, 10:29 PM
those were merely to disguise that Bucknell is the school he really roots for. look for the curmudgeon to become a pollyanna over the next few years as Coach Susan brings his beloved Bison back to the top.

Maybe it's just me...but doesn't that look a bit odd?xeyebrowx;)

Pard94
April 21st, 2010, 12:49 PM
Maybe it's just me...but doesn't that look a bit odd?xeyebrowx;)

Hey...if Coach Susan can get Bucknell to stop playing like a bunch of Susans he will be a good hire indeed.

RichH2
April 21st, 2010, 06:35 PM
A boy named Sue, where HAVE I heard that before

Go...gate
April 21st, 2010, 07:55 PM

OK, I give. What the blazes is it or what does it mean?

Bogus Megapardus
April 21st, 2010, 08:40 PM

You, Sir, presumably were educated in the classics (given your alma mater) and shouldn't have to ask. It spoils the humor.

carney2
April 21st, 2010, 08:40 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codpiece

RichH2
April 22nd, 2010, 01:45 PM
Recruiting as an anatomy exercise will wonders never cease

Lehigh Football Nation
April 22nd, 2010, 01:57 PM

Please - PLEASE - someone with better photoshop skills than I - do this justice!

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01387/Codpiece_1387899c.jpg

Cameo - What's the word, Colgate, Word up?

Big Al
April 22nd, 2010, 04:50 PM

Seriously?

Man, I went to a state school out west (after completing community college, no less!) and even I know what a codpiece is!

:D:D

MDFAN
April 22nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codpiece

ohhhhhhhhh.....they didn't teach us that in Maryland.

ngineer
April 22nd, 2010, 10:25 PM
Nice alliteration..The Colgate Codpieces. Maybe they are a 'fly by night' operation...;)