PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern Announces Coaching Staff

Eaglegus2
January 4th, 2006, 04:45 PM
STATESBORO, Ga. – Georgia Southern football coach Brian VanGorder announced the hiring of seven assistant coaches to his staff.

Joining the Eagle Football program are: Darin Hinshaw (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks), Scott Fountain (Offensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator), Deion Melvin (Defensive Coordinator), Joe Danna (Secondary), Jeff Beckles (Wide Receivers) and Parker Wildeman (Defensive Line). Chad Lunsford (Running Backs) rejoins the football coaching staff, having worked the past three seasons with the Eagles.

Hinshaw worked at Middle Tennessee State the past five years, his first two as running backs coach then the last three seasons as co-offensive coordinator. He made his way to Middle Tennessee after coaching at UCF from 1999 to 2000. A record-setting quarterback during his playing days for the Golden Knights, Hinshaw started as a graduate assistant before getting promoted to quarterbacks coach the following season.

Fountain spent the past two seasons as the offensive line coach at Middle Tennessee State. Prior to his tenure at MTSU, Fountain also coached for seven years at UCF and was a graduate assistant coach at Florida State.

Melvin comes to Georgia Southern after serving as the assistant head coach and defensive coordinator at Missouri State the previous seven years. Last year the Bears boasted the third-best passing defense and ranked third in pass efficiency defense in the Gateway Conference. He also coached Western Illinois from 1994 until leaving for Missouri State in 1999.

A former assistant coach at Central Michigan, Danna had stints as the secondary (2003-04) and wide receivers (2002, ’05) coach while with the Chippewas. Following his playing career at CMU, Danna served as a graduate assistant on VanGorder’s defense working with the secondary at Georgia in 2001.

Beckles spent three seasons at Georgia as a graduate assistant coach (2002, 2004-05) working with the wide receivers. Beckles was part of the coaching staff that led the Bulldogs to three January Bowl games during his tenure. He was the wide receivers coach at Central Michigan in 2003. As a wide receiver at Florida State, he was part of the senior class that won four of the five most prestigious bowls (Sugar, Fiesta, Cotton and Orange) and the team's first ever conference championship in 1992.

Wildeman comes to Georgia Southern after coaching the past two seasons at Western Illinois. The defensive line coach for the Leathernecks, he had two stints in Macomb. During his initial two-year run, Wildeman worked with then-defensive coordinator VanGorder in 2000. That team won the Gateway title with a 9-3 overall record (5-1 league mark) and climbed as high as No. 3 in the national polls.

Lunsford worked with the Eagles’ slotbacks the previous three seasons, helping the Eagles continue its dominance as the nation’s top rushing team. Georgia Southern has won the past five NCAA I-AA rushing titles.

“I feel very fortunate to have a coaching staff of this caliber in place. There were a lot of attractive candidates out there but I think we found an experienced group that will be a great fit for myself and Georgia Southern,” said VanGorder. “Our staff has already hit the ground running, working on recruiting and preparing for spring practice. I expect myself and my staff to provide leadership to the student-athletes on and off the field and all of us represent Georgia Southern in a first-class manner.”

ChickenMan
January 5th, 2006, 07:41 AM
With the new OC/QB coach coming from Middle Tennessee... it looks like the GSU triple option may soon be history.

colgate13
January 5th, 2006, 08:20 AM
With the new OC/QB coach coming from Middle Tennessee... it looks like the GSU triple option may soon be history.

I've already written it off. Does anyone actually think it will stick around?

Baldy
January 5th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Our offense was written off the day we announced BVG our new head coach. :nod:

One thing is for sure. No team in I-AA will have a bigger question mark over their heads than GSU. As you can imagine, Van Gorder is a big name in the high schools around here. I'm curious to see the type of talent he will bring in.

It's sad to the see the option go, but then again it's exciting to see what the future will hold. I'm going to buckle my seatbelt and enjoy the ride.

ChiefGSU275
January 6th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Savannah paper reported this morning that GSU will be running a "Spread Offense", which is what we have been running, but with three or four receivers, and sometimes two backs in the backfield. Similar to Appy and Texas (you know, the football champs).

Honestly though, I am still in wait and see mode. This could be good, because we have the skill players for it, but it could also be reallly bad (o-line too small, not used to pass blocking). I am also a triple option homer. Hate to see it go.

FU97
January 6th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Texas and Appy had very good to great defenses. Not to mention QBs of the caliber that GSU simply doesn't have (at this point in time). If it were merely the type of offense run, Texas Tech would have been the National Champs the last few years.

pete4256
January 6th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Texas and Appy had very good to great defenses. Not to mention QBs of the caliber that GSU simply doesn't have (at this point in time). If it were merely the type of offense run, Texas Tech would have been the National Champs the last few years.

GSU has the best QB in the Socon.

1500 yards rushing and a 190+ passer efficiency rating.

Being 5'9" and 164 lbs., however, he's probably not suited to this new offense.

I guess that most of our fellow Socon schools are licking their chops at the prospect of our offensive change (pun intended).

FU97
January 6th, 2006, 11:14 AM
GSU has the best QB in the Socon.

1500 yards rushing and a 190+ passer efficiency rating.

Being 5'9" and 164 lbs., however, he's probably not suited to this new offense.

I guess that most of our fellow Socon schools are licking their chops at the prospect of our offensive change (pun intended).

Strange I thought Richie Williams was the best QB in the SoCon.

No offense to Foster, but in anything but an option offense, I'd take 9 or 10 other QBs in the SoCon over him.

eagleskins
January 6th, 2006, 02:02 PM

No offense to Foster, but in anything but an option offense, I'd take 9 or 10 other QBs in the SoCon over him.

Foster doesn't have to be qb. He would also be the best running back, receiver and kick returner in the Socon if he switches positions.

pete4256
January 6th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Strange I thought Richie Williams exhausted his eligibility in 2005.

FU97
January 6th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Foster doesn't have to be qb. He would also be the best running back, receiver and kick returner in the Socon if he switches positions.

Again, no offense to Foster, but there are definitely other RBs (Felton and Gipson just from FU) and receivers (multiple ASU guys). I'd take over him. Probably would be the best kick returner. Great athelete, but don't overstate his value.

FU97
January 6th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Strange I thought Richie Williams exhausted his eligibility in 2005.

And Foster won't be a QB in 2006, so you clearly don't have the best QB then either. You were using 2005 stats, I merely countered with a QB that was much better.

pete4256
January 6th, 2006, 03:10 PM
And Foster won't be a QB in 2006, so you clearly don't have the best QB then either. You were using 2005 stats, I merely countered with a QB that was much better.

Sorry that Foster can't even strap up with the mighty Paladins. If we'd had a really good player last November, maybe he could have had more than 191 yards rushing against the Purps.
:eyebrow:

Baldy
January 6th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Again, no offense to Foster, but there are definitely other RBs (Felton and Gipson just from FU) and receivers (multiple ASU guys). I'd take over him. Probably would be the best kick returner. Great athelete, but don't overstate his value.
I agree with you for the most part 97, but Foster made your entire defense look rather foolish this year, especially Thacker and Riley. He left those two holding their jocks the entire game.

Call me a homer if you want, but Foster is the best athlete in the SoCon and will excel in any "skill position" role on the football field.

FU97
January 6th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I agree with you for the most part 97, but Foster made your entire defense look rather foolish this year, especially Thacker and Riley. He left those two holding their jocks the entire game.

Call me a homer if you want, but Foster is the best athlete in the SoCon and will excel in any "skill position" role on the football field.

No doubt that Foster is a great athlete. I would agree that he's definitely in the discussion for best athlete in the SoCon. That doesn't necessarily mean he would translate into a great RB. Much different running the ball from the QB position in the option and running the ball from the RB position in any other offense. Heck Michael Vick is a better athlete than Foster and he wouldn't be a great RB.

FU97
January 6th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Sorry that Foster can't even strap up with the mighty Paladins. If we'd had a really good player last November, maybe he could have had more than 191 yards rushing against the Purps.
:eyebrow:

No doubt that he's a great option QB. That's not the issue. GSU has dumped the option offense (bad move IMHO). The issue is whether or not his skills would translate into another position in another offense.

eagleskins
January 6th, 2006, 06:51 PM
No doubt that he's a great option QB. That's not the issue. GSU has dumped the option offense (bad move IMHO). The issue is whether or not his skills would translate into another position in another offense.

Did you forget that Foster was the freshman of the year two years ago playing wide receiver? He was the only player in the country to score 5 different ways that season(rushing, passing, receiving, punt return, kickoff return).

pete4256
January 6th, 2006, 07:55 PM

QBs come in all shapes and sizes. Even option QBs are QBs. Foster is currently the best QB in the conference.

He will almost certainly be relegated to playing WR or a multi-purpose back like Reggie Bush next year.

However, if we decide to go back to Foster at QB, we should remember that Antwaan Randle El had some success at 5'10", as did Woody Dantzler. That's not even mentioning Joe Hamilton. Doubt Foster can throw like those guys, though. I bet he's working on it right now, however.

FU97
January 7th, 2006, 07:19 AM
QBs come in all shapes and sizes. Even option QBs are QBs. Foster is currently the best QB in the conference.

He will almost certainly be relegated to playing WR or a multi-purpose back like Reggie Bush next year.

However, if we decide to go back to Foster at QB, we should remember that Antwaan Randle El had some success at 5'10", as did Woody Dantzler. That's not even mentioning Joe Hamilton. Doubt Foster can throw like those guys, though. I bet he's working on it right now, however.

Its not his size. Its his throwing ability which would hinder him at QB in anything but an option offense. In running the option, the vast majority of his passes were long passes to wide open WRs. The passing game for GSU was successful becasue they used it so infrequently and the runnging game was so lethal that most safeties were easily drawn in by the play action fakes. Very rarely would you see any GSU qb drop back and just throw the ball. Most passes were based off some kind of option fake.

It will be interesting to see how GSU decides to use Foster next year. I wouldn't be surprised if it is in some form of all-purpose kind of player where he lines up in multiple spots.

Eaglegus2
January 7th, 2006, 07:30 AM
FU97 wrote:

It will be interesting to see how GSU decides to use Foster next year. I wouldn't be surprised if it is in some form of all-purpose kind of player where he lines up in multiple spots.

97..............last year was the first year that GSU didn't have a kickoff or punt return returned for a touchdown. The average yardage for punt returns was less than 9 yd avg per return. The avg return for kickoffs were very low also.

Here is where Jayson will be placed. I do believe he will be utilized at WR and sometimes in a slot position. Jayson's speed will be utilized in every aspect for puting points on the board.

Hopefully, the Eagles will be competive in '06 and remain in the top 3 of the SoCon. It will be different, but I am excited to get the season started.

FU97
January 7th, 2006, 09:50 AM
FU97 wrote:

97..............last year was the first year that GSU didn't have a kickoff or punt return returned for a touchdown. The average yardage for punt returns was less than 9 yd avg per return. The avg return for kickoffs were very low also.

Here is where Jayson will be placed. I do believe he will be utilized at WR and sometimes in a slot position. Jayson's speed will be utilized in every aspect for puting points on the board.

Hopefully, the Eagles will be competive in '06 and remain in the top 3 of the SoCon. It will be different, but I am excited to get the season started.

No doubt that Foster will immediately upgrade your return game. He was potent in that role as a freshman.

I will be interested in seeing if this new offense can put as many points on the board as the old offense.

pete4256
January 7th, 2006, 11:31 AM
I will be interested in seeing if this new offense can put as many points on the board as the old offense.

As the Cowardly Lion would say: "not no way . . . not no how!"