PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire opens Spring Practice

Wildcat80
April 7th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Good summary of team going into spring. Hope we get some surprises at the end. Go Cats!! xnodx

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100407/SPORTS/4070383/-1/NEWSMAP

Keeper
April 7th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Nobody will be looking past UNH this season.

Solid co-favorites with Bill & Mary.

Would like to see Cats redevelop the deep threat
and defense needs to be better than just average to go deep in playoffs.
Kackert and Sicko tough to replace, big shoes to fill. Good luck.

Wildcat80
April 8th, 2010, 03:57 AM
No mention in article about TE Jeannot. He was a solid receiver behind Sicko last year with 11 catches. He could easily triple those numbers this year. Also one of the frosh RB's--Owens or Steriti--could find PT as a true frosh. Hopefully Fox regains his form as the top threat and a score every time-type WR. A running attack, top WR/TE options and a healthy Toman or Decker would get the offense back in true high gear. A very challenging schedule will necessitate it. Just do it Cats! xsmileyclapx

Tribe4SF
April 8th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Nobody will be looking past UNH this season.

Solid co-favorites with Bill & Mary.

Surprised you don't mention Villanova as the favorite. Do you not see them as the early choice?

andy7171
April 8th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Surprised you don't mention Villanova as the favorite. Do you not see them as the early choice?

Depends on if Szczur declines the millions offered to him from the MLB draft and opts for FCS glory.

I mean who wouldn't? :D

NHwildEcat
April 8th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Anybody know what time the Blue/White game will be on the 8th?

Wildcat80
April 8th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Anybody know what time the Blue/White game will be on the 8th?

NH FB Report has 12:30 pm. xconfusedx

UNH Fanboi
April 17th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Any reports?

Wildcat80
April 18th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Last I know of 4/14 Seacoast online:

Best candidate for a breakout season for the University of New Hampshire football team? Tight end Chris Jeannot.

With the graduation of All-American Scott Sicko, the position falls to the rising junior. At 6-foot-6, 253 pounds, he has more size than Sicko, and has caught 16 balls in a backup role the last two seasons.

"He's very athletic," said UNH coach Sean McDonnell. "He can catch it. He was a wide receiver in high school."

A basketball standout at Moon Area High School outside of Pittsburgh, Jeannot was injured as a junior and was more highly regarded as a basketball player. But he stood out at some summer showcases and ended up catching 28 passes in his final year, teasing his ability.

The Wildcats have 12 more practices in their spring session, which concludes with the Blue/White spring scrimmage on May 8.

Grizzaholic
April 18th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Hope UNH shows up this year and wins a few games! I would like to meet up with some of their fans if the Griz make it again.

lc83
April 18th, 2010, 11:07 PM
May 8th seems awful late for a spring game. When does NHU finish up the semester? A lot of schools are just finishing up finals around that time.

UNHFan99
April 19th, 2010, 07:44 AM
With the weather we have to have a late spring. We literally have no indoor facility except for a very small track and the basketball gym. We had some flurries last week.

I think our schedule for training is to our advantage over the usual teams. We have a very hard/ longer offseason winter workout period. Then Spring ball and then a summer workout period where average over 55 players on campus all summer.

UNH Fanboi
April 19th, 2010, 10:11 AM
With the weather we have to have a late spring. We literally have no indoor facility except for a very small track and the basketball gym. We had some flurries last week.

I think our schedule for training is to our advantage over the usual teams. We have a very hard/ longer offseason winter workout period. Then Spring ball and then a summer workout period where average over 55 players on campus all summer.

I have heard great things about UNH's summer workout program, and I think that is one of the keys to their success despite not getting a lot of big name recruits. Do any other FCS schools have as many kids on campus over the summer?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 19th, 2010, 10:50 AM
May 8th seems awful late for a spring game. When does NHU finish up the semester? A lot of schools are just finishing up finals around that time.

NHU??? Do you call Northern Iowa NIU as well? xnonox xnonox xnonox xsmhx xsmhx

FWIW, Maine's Spring Game is May 1st and UMass on May 2nd. I know in other years, the UMass game has been on the same late date as UNH. Spring is a very relative term in Northern New England! Jokes abound about April being another Winter month and the sequence of seasons being Winter, Mud and finally Summer. xlolx xlolx

yorkcountyUNHfan
April 19th, 2010, 10:59 AM
NHU??? Do you call Northern Iowa NIU as well? xnonox xnonox xnonox xsmhx xsmhx

FWIW, Maine's Spring Game is May 1st and UMass on May 2nd. I know in other years, the UMass game has been on the same late date as UNH. Spring is a very relative term in Northern New England! Jokes abound about April being another Winter month and the sequence of seasons being Winter, Mud and finally Summer. xlolx xlolx

You left out black fly season. It falls between Mud and Summer

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 19th, 2010, 11:38 AM

Just checking to see if you were out there!!!! ;) :D

My memories of golfing in May when I lived in NH are losing multiple balls each round because they plugged in the wet ground and having dozens of welts from the frigging black flies!!!! It was never serious golf season until after Memorial Day!!! And it was always 5/31 in those days!!

UNH72Plus
April 21st, 2010, 11:30 AM
Has anyone heard anything re: Seamus O'Neil. He was a pretty highly touted native son whose father played for UNH back in the day. I didn't see him mentioned in any of the postings.

Just for the record, all the local golf courses around Concord opened the last week in March this year!

DG Cowboy
April 22nd, 2010, 01:15 PM

In 1971 I remember playing a first Saturday in May tennis tournament in Dover and having to cover up with blankets between matches because it was frizzin' cold! Or maybe, after 40 years, it got a lot colder. Who knows!;)

UNH Fanboi
May 8th, 2010, 02:23 PM
If anyone went to today's spring game, please share details.

Thanks!

Tribe4SF
May 8th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I have heard great things about UNH's summer workout program, and I think that is one of the keys to their success despite not getting a lot of big name recruits. Do any other FCS schools have as many kids on campus over the summer?

W&M had 75 last summer, and expects a similar number this year. They lift at 5 am, and participate in all-sport running at 6:30. They run drills in the stadium in the evening, and have several 7-on-7 periods during the week, as well as watching film. They work twice as hard as we did when I was in school.

Old Cat Fan
May 9th, 2010, 11:11 AM
If anyone went to today's spring game, please share details.

Thanks!

Write up on yesterdays game, Decker looked real good, Fox back in action, should be interesting campxnodx

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20100509-SPORTS-5090349