PDA

View Full Version : W&M's new mascot..."1/3 Eagle...1/3 Lion...1/3 Awesome!!!"

Tribe4SF
April 6th, 2010, 08:26 PM
The Tribe unveils their new mascot in W&M Hall. Welcome to the Griffin!

http://tribeathletics.com/story.php/10197/

DFW HOYA
April 6th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Poltically correct, athletically ridiculous.

PhoenixSupreme
April 6th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Almost looks like it has a giant white goatee in front if you look at it a certain way

SideLine Shooter
April 6th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I don't know if I understand all that I know about that.

TheValleyRaider
April 6th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Griffins are pretty cool

This is not

Why exactly does W&M need a mascot? xconfusedx

Bogus Megapardus
April 7th, 2010, 07:00 AM
April Fools was last week. Besides, I thought it was spelled, "Gryphon."

elon77
April 7th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Almost looks like it has a giant white goatee in front if you look at it a certain way

Looks like a Seagull on roids. In the one picture is it flipping the bird? Maybe he is to the folks in DC who started the mess in the first place.xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
April 7th, 2010, 07:25 AM
OK now I get it. This addresses W&M's political correctness hand wringing. A group of Gryphons (Griffins?) actually is called a "Tribe." I just looked it up. Now the history-revisionist lefties can pretend that the "Tribe" name is not derived from the perceived savage, warrior behavior of American Indians past, but is simply a benign reference to a team of human/fowl caricatures.

Oh, Dr. Reveley. You're such a smarty-pants.

Hoseinexile07
April 7th, 2010, 08:53 AM
The Tribe unveils their new mascot in W&M Hall. Welcome to the Griffin!

http://tribeathletics.com/story.php/10197/
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxthumbsdownx

ur2k
April 7th, 2010, 09:00 AM
with feathers and all. Good job Tribe.

andy7171
April 7th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I was hoping for the King and Queen characters.

813Jag
April 7th, 2010, 09:19 AM
should have used this griffin instead xlolx
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/features/health/theskinny/blog/griffinpeter.jpg

andy7171
April 7th, 2010, 09:39 AM
should have used this griffin instead xlolx
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/features/health/theskinny/blog/griffinpeter.jpg

I just laughed like him in my head. xlolx

DFW HOYA
April 7th, 2010, 09:46 AM
The W&M PC club's second choice..."Tribe-ull"..

http://dvice.com/assets_c/2009/05/tribble_ds9ent_scotty-thumb-450x338-18131.jpg

turfdoc
April 7th, 2010, 11:08 AM
They need a cool Gryphon logo for their helmets now (Like the one in my sig). Then I can copy it because our athletic department is so possessive of their logo they won't let student groups use the athletic logo.

If W&M can come up with a decent logo (that cartoon is not very good). Our student clubs can use it instead.

Go Gryphons (Guelph Gryphons that is)

jmufan999
April 7th, 2010, 12:25 PM
wow.

PhoenixSupreme
April 7th, 2010, 12:27 PM
They should have taken the Stanford tree and paint it brown to look like a teepee

elon77
April 7th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I was hoping for the King and Queen characters.

After last year's Homecoming maybe they didn't know whether the King should be a Queen or the Queen should be a King! xconfusedxxlolx

Gringer1
April 8th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Overuse of political correctness. Check.
Stupid looking cat bird. Check.

SpeedkingATL
April 8th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I really hate all this PC crap but W&M did appear to take lemons and made lemonade. Pretty cool mascot IMHO.xnodx

fightingphoenix
April 8th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I don't understand, what was wrong with the old mascot?

Tribe4SF
April 8th, 2010, 02:06 PM
We didn't have one.

tribe_pride
April 8th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Old Mascots
Indian - Can't do that anymore - Thanks NCAA
Ebirt - Worst thing ever (was retired a bunch of years ago for good reason)

You are never going to get people to like most mascots. This one actually seems decent to me so I am happy.

Tribe4SF
April 8th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I really hate all this PC crap but W&M did appear to take lemons and made lemonade. Pretty cool mascot IMHO.xnodx

There's been general surprise that this 16-month process ended as well as it did. The prior process of picking a new logo was an unmitigated disaster. We got some real help this time from Torch Creative, and Tubby Raymond's kid who used to be the Phillie Fanatic. The final event when the Griffin was presented was handled with good humor, and a heavy dose self ridicule. At one point AD Terry Driscoll appeared from behind a curtain with a long face, and two fists full of crumpled green and gold feathers, which he sadly let fall to the floor.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 8th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I don't hate the mascot. I actually kind of like the mascot and the humorous take on how y'all got there. What I hate was the process that caused you to dump the Tribe.

Though I can see it now: "Pan, Half-Man and Half Goat Demigod, Sues W&M for Defamation of Fictional Half-Breeds"

Tribe4SF
April 8th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I don't hate the mascot. I actually kind of like the mascot and the humorous take on how y'all got there. What I hate was the process that caused you to dump the Tribe.

Though I can see it now: "Pan, Half-Man and Half Goat Demigod, Sues W&M for Defamation of Fictional Half-Breeds"

We are still the Tribe. The only thing we had to get rid of were the two feathers in our logo. Since our new Griffin has green and gold feathers on his wings, there is pressure bulding to simply return the feathers to the logo, since they are now associated with our mascot.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 8th, 2010, 03:42 PM
We are still the Tribe. The only thing we had to get rid of were the two feathers in our logo. Since our new Griffin has green and gold feathers on his wings, there is pressure bulding to simply return the feathers to the logo, since they are now associated with our mascot.

Good! xthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
April 8th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Jon Stewart said it looked like "a pants-less eagle."

http://www.wm.edu/news/images/2010/photosets/mascot-launch/photoset1.jpg

PhoenixSupreme
April 8th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I think the mascot needs a few laserguns implanted into its shoulders...just my two cents

ngineer
April 8th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Here I thought I'd see a large Merv Griffin head with an Arthur Treacher lookalike tagging along...:p:D

ngineer
April 8th, 2010, 10:45 PM

Though I can see it now: ]"Pan, Half-Man and Half Goat Demigod, Sues W&M for Defamation of Fictional Half-Breeds"[/B]

Well, after a loss, Laycock can give a 'dead pan' response to the questions....;)

AppMan
April 12th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Sorry folks, but that is about the most ridiculous looking thing I've ever seen for a mascot.

GaSouthern
April 13th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I have no problem with W&M but I hate this PC BS!