PDA

View Full Version : Andy Coen--Lehigh Head Coach

ngineer
January 3rd, 2006, 01:40 PM
Just finished watching the press conference. Coen is excited to be at Lehigh which he hated to leave as an assistant back in 1999. Met his wife at Lehigh during his first tour. Gave big kudos to Kevin Higgins as his 'mentor' and teaching him how to lead.
Joe Sterrett the need to find someone from the 50 applicants who would be the best fit with the institution and what's expected in the Patriot League. There were 15 interviews (9 on campus) rest by telecon.
Coen expects to be 'creative' on offense, but stresses toughness being the #1 attribute needed in his teams--mentally and physically.
He will meet with all assistants and decide then whether all or some remain.
Everyone thought it would be him or Cecchini. Coen brings a little bit 'older' presence to the program than Chick, which may have been a deciding factor.
Interesting quote, I thought, was "Tradition never graduates from Lehigh". Will make concerted effort to keep us football alumns 'connected' .
According to Sterrett. Coen appreciates the academic demands and his experience at both Lehigh and Penn were strong factors in his favor.

Pard94
January 3rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
Fresh Meat! Seriously, I don't know him but he sounds like a good choice and a worthy adversary. Honestly, I hope he is good enough to keep Lehigh at it's current level of success and prominance as it has ben very good for the league to have at least a few consistantly good programs. That being said, i hope he never beats Lafayette for as long as we both shall live!

PS - THANK GOD HEFFNER REMAINS AT LAFAYETTE!!! :p

Pards Rule
January 3rd, 2006, 01:46 PM
Thats why my UPenn guy was tightlipped!!! Told ya too!!!

LEHIGH61
January 3rd, 2006, 01:54 PM
Great choice. He's the guy that was responsible for the success starting in 1998. GO LEHIGH! Now, replacements for Bateman and Trishiani must be found.

JohnG
January 3rd, 2006, 02:12 PM
Looks like a good choice. Now the question is should he keep around either of the coordinators. What do you guys think? I wouldn't mind seeing somebody come in on defense with a little more experience.

colgate13
January 3rd, 2006, 02:13 PM
Well done Lehigh! I look forward to seeing what Coen can do!

Coopernh
January 3rd, 2006, 02:14 PM
I Told You... Good Guy Will do a good Job.

kardplayer
January 3rd, 2006, 02:24 PM
Fresh Meat! :p

Not that Fresh - in three Penn/Lafayette games after Mr. Coen took over, Penn beat Lafayette 45-28 (2000), 37-0 (2001), and 52-21 (2002). Now those first two Leopard squads weren't very good, but the 2002 version was 7-5...

Pard94
January 3rd, 2006, 02:32 PM
Yeah and the The Little Sister of the Poor beat Lafayette during the Dark Years too. Means nothing. Let's see what happens in 2006!

LBPop
January 3rd, 2006, 02:48 PM
Congratulations to the Engin...er, the Mountain Hawks. A strong program at Lehigh helps all of the Patriot League--especially with its national image. Now that Georgetown has the only remaining PL vacancy, hopefully it will help them fill their spot quickly.

colgate13
January 3rd, 2006, 03:17 PM
Congratulations to the Engin...er, the Mountain Hawks. A strong program at Lehigh helps all of the Patriot League--especially with its national image. Now that Georgetown has the only remaining PL vacancy, hopefully it will help them fill their spot quickly.

The Colgate OC position isn't something to forget. I'm surprised we haven't named someone internally yet. I guess I should throw that theory out the window...

Hey, Pard94 - maybe Heffner wants to move to Hamilton? xlolx

LBPop
January 3rd, 2006, 03:24 PM
The Colgate OC position isn't something to forget.
No slight to Colgate intended. I guess I have enough faith in Biddle that I expect that situation to work out just fine. With things so uncertain at Georgetown, timing is critical. Of course, I would rather see a thoroughly researched excellent choice than a quick mistake. :nod:

Lehigh Football Nation
January 3rd, 2006, 03:26 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

I weighed in with my initial thoughts on my blog, and I think Sterrett made the right choice! In retrospect, Coen just seems like the right blend of experience and recruiter of the PL-type of athlete - and in addition, he's also a tie back to the Higgins years as well.

Every indicator is that he is eager to jump right in and get us Patriot League titles again! He seems like a energetic, experienced, great choice!

Now that he's here... here's the next domino to fall. Think Coen will keep the current Lehigh OC, or do you think he may want to be reunited with.......

Dave Cecchini?

carney2
January 3rd, 2006, 03:26 PM
I wish for Mr. Coen what I have wished for every Lehigh coach in my lifetime:

May he go 10 - 1 every year for the rest of his days.

colgate13
January 3rd, 2006, 03:31 PM
I wish for Mr. Coen what I have wished for every Lehigh coach in my lifetime:

May he go 10 - 1 every year for the rest of his days.

Man, I know. I'm looking forward to Colgate getting that win at Goodman this year too! :p

carney2
January 3rd, 2006, 03:36 PM
Man, I know. I'm looking forward to Colgate getting that win at Goodman this year too! :p

That's twice today that you've struck out with me.

Pards Rule
January 3rd, 2006, 03:39 PM
I wonder if Coen will lure Jim Schaeffer with him as a DC guy

Pard4Life
January 3rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
I will render an opinion on this guy the evening of November 18, 2006.

The only feeling I have regarding this matter is elation that it is not Heffner.

colgate13
January 3rd, 2006, 06:11 PM
That's twice today that you've struck out with me.

Will the 3rd time be a charm? ;) :rotateh: :)

Lehigh Football Nation
January 3rd, 2006, 06:43 PM
Added some more observations and some more facts to "the Andy Coen file" on my original blog posting:

I'm really psyched about bringing Andy back to the fold, and there's a lot of reason for optimism in 2006. I'm eager to find out how coach Coen will fill out his staff, but that's a story for tomorrow.

Glad the uncertainty is over. Though, I picked the wrong time to stop checking email in the middle of the day. Mental note: must get a Blackberry. Ralph?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ngineer
January 3rd, 2006, 06:57 PM
The Colgate OC position isn't something to forget. I'm surprised we haven't named someone internally yet. I guess I should throw that theory out the window...

Maybe Heffner will surface in Georgetown or Central Connecticut?? ;)

ngineer
January 3rd, 2006, 07:05 PM

I weighed in with my initial thoughts on my blog, and I think Sterrett made the right choice! In retrospect, Coen just seems like the right blend of experience and recruiter of the PL-type of athlete - and in addition, he's also a tie back to the Higgins years as well.

Every indicator is that he is eager to jump right in and get us Patriot League titles again! He seems like a energetic, experienced, great choice!

Now that he's here... here's the next domino to fall. Think Coen will keep the current Lehigh OC, or do you think he may want to be reunited with.......

Dave Cecchini?

I think your dreams are getting carried away. I don't think we have the money to pay Chick to make a return to his old job. Plus if he's looking to be an HC he may be looking in a different direction, now that LU's HC is locked up for the foreseeable future. And from the way Coen talked today, he sounded like he'd like to stay at Lehigh forever..
However, I think he could take over the OC--and reduce Rorke to some offensive assistant--assuming Rorke would even stay under that scenario.
I think Wilcher grew in his job last year and the second half showed a more aggressive and tougher D despite the injuries.

ngineer
January 3rd, 2006, 07:07 PM
You can see the press conference at Lehighsports.com if you get the video streaming. Also nice article at www.patriotleague.sports.com
LFN has already touted his site, but he does a great job laying out the info.

Pard94
January 3rd, 2006, 09:08 PM

Nah, he wouldn't go from Assistant HC at an institution located in civilization to OC for a school located just south of the Arctic Circle. But...I guess you can dream, 13. :smiley_wi

Pard94
January 3rd, 2006, 09:10 PM
Maybe Heffner will surface in Georgetown or Central Connecticut?? ;)

That's just crazy talk...although I suspect Georgetown could be come a very sweet spot in the not too distant future.

colgate13
January 4th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Nah, he wouldn't go from Assistant HC at an institution located in civilization to OC for a school located just south of the Arctic Circle. But...I guess you can dream, 13. :smiley_wi

You mean a place where that OC salary goes a lot further and it's a small, tight knit community that's a great place to raise a family?

I'm not dreaming - I'm just trying to keep your nightmares coming!xlolx

Pard94
January 4th, 2006, 08:04 AM
You mean a place where that OC salary goes a lot further and it's a small, tight knit community that's a great place to raise a family?

I'm not dreaming - I'm just trying to keep your nightmares coming!xlolx

Money does go a long way up there. Don't they generally barter for goods and services in Hamilton? I hear part of Biddle's extension included 12 fine laying hens and plow horse. :smiley_wi

colgate13
January 4th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Money does go a long way up there. Don't they generally barter for goods and services in Hamilton? I hear part of Biddle's extension included 12 fine laying hens and plow horse. :smiley_wi

This time of year, I'd take a few cords of wood over those hens! :cool:

Lehigh Football Nation
January 4th, 2006, 09:26 AM

My question is, how did Lafayette's women's basketball team and their head coach get involved in his contract?

:lmao:

Sorry, I usually refrain from such stuff, but when the softballs are thrown up just so....

Pard94
January 4th, 2006, 10:03 AM
My question is, how did Lafayette's women's basketball team and their head coach get involved in his contract?

:lmao:

Sorry, I usually refrain from such stuff, but when the softballs are thrown up just so....

That's a good one. I give you props despite the fact that I am confident that America's Next Top Supermodel won't be coming from the ranks of the Lady Mountain Hawks either.

cosmo here
January 4th, 2006, 10:50 AM
question for Lehigh folks . . assuming that if Lehigh beat Lafayette this year, Lembo would have stayed (made playoffs, less inside pressure) . . would you rather have a win over Lafayette in 2005, or Andy Coen as your new head coach ?

Pard4Life
January 4th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Hmmm good question... but that's implying Lembo was let go due to that debacle, and Lehigh fans don't agree 100% with that

Lehigh Football Nation
January 4th, 2006, 11:30 AM
question for Lehigh folks . . assuming that if Lehigh beat Lafayette this year, Lembo would have stayed (made playoffs, less inside pressure) . . would you rather have a win over Lafayette in 2005, or Andy Coen as your new head coach ?

I would have liked the win against Laf in 2005. Not only since we would have been able to see what Lehigh could do in the I-AA playoffs, but we'd have had some measure of bragging rights back in the rivalry.

Then again, I'm always been a fan of Lembo - still am. I still feel he had an unfair rap here. All he did was win a Lambert Cup, Eddie Robinson award, a home I-AA playoff game, recruit Sedale Threatt, and....

Having said that, I'm still excited about Coen coming back to Lehigh. Hopefully after the first game where Lehigh struggles people won't be calling for his head as many did to Lembo.

I do beleive that had he beat Lafayette this year, Lembo would still be here.

ngineer
January 4th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Sounds like NCAA will be investigating the Colgate Brothel... :D

ngineer
January 4th, 2006, 11:37 AM

I disagree. I think there was better than 50/50 chance Lembo would have left anyway. He was unhappy with the constant comparisons to Higgins, and was looking for a venue to move his career "to the next level"--meaning, if you're dream is to coach I-A you need to make your moves that will promote that move. Elon is such an opportunity if he turns that program into a winner.

carney2
January 4th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I miss Pete.

colgate13
January 4th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I miss Pete.

xlolx

hawkineer
January 4th, 2006, 04:52 PM
I miss Pete.
Thrilled to hear that! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

ngineer
January 4th, 2006, 11:45 PM
I miss Pete.

I heard Tavani is scheduling Elon in 2008.... ;) :D

Pard94
January 5th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Only if Lembo has a gun to his head. Given that Tavani's kid plays for Wofford...I wonder if there might be some possibility for that match up in the future?

carney2
January 5th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Only if Lembo has a gun to his head. Given that Tavani's kid plays for Wofford...I wonder if there might be some possibility for that match up in the future?

Didn't I read somewhere - probably on this site - that Lehigh was moving toward one of these PL - SoCon matchups with The Citadel until they figured out how much it would cost with travel and all?

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Any less expensive than going to Idaho a few years back?

carney2
January 5th, 2006, 10:14 AM

Good point, but it does beg the question as to why there aren't more I-AA intersectional matchups such as this. A logical conclusion is $$ - travel costs.

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Carney, agreed but is it really any more expensive to go to NC or SC than Mass (Holy Cross) or UNH? It has GOT to be the same amount of time bus wise and the air time would be essentially the same (with the crowded airspace in NE there is more time wasted on circumnavigation). I wonder how much it would cost to shuffle off to Youngstown :rolleyes:

carney2
January 5th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Carney, agreed but is it really any more expensive to go to NC or SC than Mass (Holy Cross) or UNH? It has GOT to be the same amount of time bus wise and the air time would be essentially the same (with the crowded airspace in NE there is more time wasted on circumnavigation). I wonder how much it would cost to shuffle off to Youngstown :rolleyes:

Yeah, but who in their right mind wants to go to Youngstown? I spent a year there one day.

ngineer
January 5th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Didn't I read somewhere - probably on this site - that Lehigh was moving toward one of these PL - SoCon matchups with The Citadel until they figured out how much it would cost with travel and all?

I think that was more speculation due to Higgins getting hired there and his connection with Lembo. Of course, he also has good connections with Coen, so it still could happen. But schedules are pretty well locked for next three years.
We did have a home and home with Wofford in the late '90's. Considering their demographics, they would be an excellent opponent for any PL team.
As for the trip to Idaho--I think Lehigh's travel costs were most, if not all, covered by Idaho. The cost for flying, lodging, ground transport, meals etc. for about 75 people (56 players and staff) is well into 6 figures. The 'intersectional games' are great fun, but also quite costly. That is the major hurdle to those games occuring.

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2006, 12:41 PM
I too was in Youngstown for a couple of days a few years back. Youngstown came up in discussion yesterday on board our company plane as we went PHL>OSU>CGF>ERI>HPN>PHL (what a day!) and Erie (ERI) was not as bad as I had heard. It was healthier economically than Youngstown.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 5th, 2006, 01:48 PM

According to Mapquest, it 358 miles and 6:10 from Easton to Durham and 747 miles and 12:04 to Charleston, SC. I'd call that a long bus trip versus a have to fly trip. And I think once you bring flying into the formula that costs escalate. I suppose you could bus to NC or SC, but that's a long time for the athletes to spend on a bus. And for a NC/SC trip you're talking about another night in a hotel or a through the night bus trip for your return.

At least Lafayette and Lehigh have quite a few options within a 7 hour bus ride because you have potential quality opponents in multiple directions. For UNH the list is quite short (assuming that one Ivy in Dartmouth is the limit) with Holy Cross, Fordham, Colgate, Lafayette, Lehigh and possibly Bucknell as the only options. That's why I've always hoped some sort of A10/CAA-Patriot matchup weekend would develop.

The PL doesn't have any conference games that require flying, correct? That's one advantage cost wise the PL has over the A10/CAA where I'm guessing on average there are two flying games every season. That's why I'm guessing that if the PL wanted to keep it's expenses down and improve their schedules, adding an A10/CAA team is a option. I'm guessing that a home and home series with UNH that has the game in Durham the year the Wildcats visit Hanover would get serious consideration. As a paying customer I would much rather have that game than the Iona, Central CT, Stony Brook games on recent schedules.

For UNH, my first choice would be Colgate because we used to be conference mates, both play D-I ice hockey, we often play each other in "minor" sports, we're North Country/Frozen Tundra compadres, etc. Geographically, Holy Cross and then Fordham would be the next most logical opponent. But getting Pard94 a cross state trip to watch his alma mater every other year wouldn't be such a bad thing!!

Ironically, there are other potential A10/CAA games that would seem to be natural:

Holy Cross: UMass, Northeastern, URI or UNH for geographic proximity
Fordham: UMass or URI because they're A-10 All Sports members; Hofstra for a Big Apple Challenge; Villanova for a Parochial Big Apple-Cheese Steak battle
Georgetown: Villanova (Big East All Sports member); W&M or Richmond (private schools); Towson or JMU (geographic proximity)
Bucknell: Villanova (fellow private in geographic proximity); Hofstra (fellow private), W&M or Richmond (similar enrollment and academic philosophy within reasonable proximity)
Lehigh: Villanova (fellow private in geographic proximity); Hofstra and Delaware (former East Coast Conference mates)
Lafayette: Villanova (fellow private in geographic proximity); Hofstra and Delaware (former East Coast Conference mates)

colgate13
January 5th, 2006, 01:55 PM
The PL doesn't have any conference games that require flying, correct?

Correct. I think the Colgate/Georgetown game is the longest distance... but Holy Cross/G'Town has to be far too. All bus trips...

We pull out a plane trip every few years... Richmond, St. Marys, Furman down the road. But not every year.

LBPop
January 5th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Correct. I think the Colgate/Georgetown game is the longest distance... but Holy Cross/G'Town has to be far too. All bus trips...

Because the Holy Cross trip is so long, Georgetown does the trip up in two days with a stay over in Connecticut. Then they do the marathon trip home in one day. A long time on a bus...especially with this year's score. :o

When I learned this, I started doing the math comparing the cost of an additional hotel night and meals with a round trip flight. Still probably cheaper on the bus, but not by a wide margin. The Kid was ill and didn't make the trip in 2004 to Hamilton, so I don't know the arrangements for that one.

carney2
January 5th, 2006, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=ngineer]schedules are pretty well locked for next three years./QUOTE]

Does anyone know how to get at these future schedules? Lafayette, for instance, is notorious for releasing its current year schedule - let alone future years - very late. This year (2006) is an exception. We got the schedule in 2005. I know that in other years I've gone into May and not been able to get at the current year schedule.

Maybe I just have to break down and buy a program at a home game. :eyebrow:

cosmo here
January 5th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Lafayette, for instance, is notorious for releasing its current year schedule - let alone future years - very late. This year (2006) is an exception. We got the schedule in 2005. I know that in other years I've gone into May and not been able to get at the current year schedule.

Maybe I just have to break down and buy a program at a home game. :eyebrow:

:confused: for each of the last several years, Lafayette's tentative future schedules for the next three seasons have been in the media guide which is also posted online. :read:

LBPop
January 5th, 2006, 03:06 PM
The Georgetown site, Hoya Saxa.com, does an excellent job posting future schedules. They still have one open date next season.
http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/fb-schedules.htm

carney2
January 5th, 2006, 03:08 PM
:confused: for each of the last several years, Lafayette's tentative future schedules for the next three seasons have been in the media guide which is also posted online. :read:

Crap! I even look at that thing and I've never seen it. In depth critical thinking: that's what a Lafayette education will do for you

TheValleyRaider
January 5th, 2006, 03:34 PM
W&M or Richmond (private schools)
W&M or Richmond (fellow privates within reasonable proximity)

Don't know if anyone caught this yet, but W&M is a public school.
Good matchups though, now if only we could get some of them.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 5th, 2006, 03:38 PM

I think the consensus feeling on South Mountain was that the Idaho trip wasn't worth it - that's why we haven't seen it since. I know it was a "money loser" and Lehigh got slaughtered. Not much reward there.

I think cost is also what prevents a Citadel/Lehigh matchup too. Having said that, I think with Coen as the head coach, a Citadel/Lehigh matchup is a lot more likely to happen than when Lembo was the head coach. Imagine the uproar if Higgins' Citadel team beat Lehigh! Lembo wouldn't have heard the end of it.

Personally I think all the SoCon games are "flight games", and it's unlikely that we will schedule one unless we can't get a quality A-10 matchup each year - or at least guarantee a return trip, like we did with Wofford not too long ago. Playing Delaware or Villanova, where you sleep in your bed at night, will win out over any Georgia Southern matchup anyday. Just pure economics.

Pards Rule
January 5th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Don't these players like to fly. I know I would have :)..Hell, I do it pretty much Wed-Friday for my real estate position.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 5th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Don't know if anyone caught this yet, but W&M is a public school.
Good matchups though, now if only we could get some of them.

:doh: :doh: :doh: I knew that! Excuse me while I head for the woodshed!! :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip:

All the high academics and Magnolia League discussion has made me forget they get public funds from the state of Virginia.

Rather than fellow private, how about similar enrollment and academic philosophy!!

TheValleyRaider
January 5th, 2006, 11:05 PM
:doh: :doh: :doh: I knew that! Excuse me while I head for the woodshed!! :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip:

All the high academics and Magnolia League discussion has made me forget they get public funds from the state of Virginia.

Rather than fellow private, how about similar enrollment and academic philosophy!!

No worries. I only know that because I applied to W&M. Got in and almost went there, but this good old Northern climate appeals to me, for some strange reason.