PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling Conflict...

lc83
March 15th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Can anyone shed light on this conundrum?

http://pflfan.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=946

DFW HOYA
March 15th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I do not think this is accurate. If it were, Davidson would then be off the schedule and Georgetown would then have only eight games remaining (still looking to fill the games dropped by Richmond and Old Dominion)

401ks
March 16th, 2010, 12:46 AM
I have no idea from where the Butler vs. Marist game on this schedule came.

Supposedly, Butler is at Albion on September 4, 2010, and Taylor is coming to the Butler Bowl on September 18, 2010.

Add the game at Youngstown State and the eight other PFL games on the schedule, and you come with 11 games - a full season.

It has also been my understanding that the PFL schedules will be following a 2-year, home-and-home rotation. Butler did not play Marist last year. The presumption is that Butler will not play Marist this year.

All that being said, we all know that strange things happen when schedules are brewed up.

xreadx

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Scale of dragon; tooth of wolf;
Witches' mummy; maw and gulf
Of the ravin'd salt-sea shark;
Root of hemlock digg'd i the dark;
Liver of blaspheming Jew;
Gall of goat, and slips of yew
Sliver'd in the moon's eclipse;
Nose of Turk, and Tartar's lips;
Finger of birth-strangled babe
Ditch-deliver'd by a drab,—
Make the gruel thick and slab:
Add thereto a tiger's chaudron,
For the ingrediants of our caldron.

Cool it with a baboon's blood,
Then the charm is firm and good.

MplsBison
March 16th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I know some at NDSU are eying Butler as another 'name' bball school to play in football for the 2010 season, since Drake fell through.

Our current open dates are Sept 18th and Oct 30th, but I don't see why games couldn't get moved around if some of our other opponents also have open dates that lined up.

Any chance for Butler @ NDSU in 2010?

danefan
March 16th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I have no idea from where the Butler vs. Marist game on this schedule came.

Supposedly, Butler is at Albion on September 4, 2010, and Taylor is coming to the Butler Bowl on September 18, 2010.

Add the game at Youngstown State and the eight other PFL games on the schedule, and you come with 11 games - a full season.

It has also been my understanding that the PFL schedules will be following a 2-year, home-and-home rotation. Butler did not play Marist last year. The presumption is that Butler will not play Marist this year.

All that being said, we all know that strange things happen when schedules are brewed up.

xreadx

I thought Butler was supposed to be upgrading their schedule this year and next? I think the Albion is the back-end of a home and home right? What about Taylor?

401ks
March 16th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I thought Butler was supposed to be upgrading their schedule this year and next? I think the Albion is the back-end of a home and home right? What about Taylor?

I had originally been led to believe that last year was THE last year for Albion. Apparently, I had misread the tea leaves.

From where I sit (which is not in the offices of the Butler Athletic Department :o) I see absolutely no reason to be playing Albion, much less traveling up to Michigan to play Albion. I have always stated that I believe that playing one INDIANA Division III/NAIA team each year is a more-than-acceptable move for Butler.

I do have to give Butler credit for starting the process of upgrading their schedule. Full-scholarship Youngstown State is a definite upgrade from the Division IIIs that had been on the schedule. The upcoming home-and-home series with Dartmouth is another good step in that direction.

Some may argue that Taylor (an Indiana NAIA program) is a scholarship program, but.....xrolleyesx

Personally, I would love to see Butler schedule Duquesne! (That would free up a slot on Dayton's schedule so that DF can get his wish for a Dayton/St. Francis match-up.) Thinking of Duquesne, I like the direction that the Dukes take with their OOC scheduling: one Patriot League team (Bucknell); one full-scholarship "money" game on the road (Nichols State in 2009 and Delaware in 2010); and one PFL team (Dayton).

Butler has also proven that they can play with non-PFL FCS teams (with their victory over NEC Champion Central Connecticut in the 2009 Gridiron Classic) and no longer need to feed on DIII patsies in their OOC schedule. It may take another year or two before the memories of the 0-11 season in 2005 fade from the minds of the schedule makers at Butler. Butler could very well have gone the way of Northeastern and Hofstra at that point. I think we can all agree that Butler playing DIII/NAIA teams is better than playing no football at all.

Also, the possibility of playing for the PFL playoff berth at some point in the (near?) future may spur a movement toward a more challenging OOC schedule.

When all is said and done, Butler is upgrading their schedule. It just may not be happening as quickly as some would prefer.

lc83
March 16th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Scheduling is a two way street. It doesn't matter how much you want to play a certain team, if they don't/can't play because they already have a scheduled game then your out of luck (unless you have enough $ for a buyout).

Butler still has Albion because of someone's wack idea for a 10 year contract or something like that! But they are starting to play teams like Youngstown, Indiana St., and Dartmouth so it is improving. Butler was actually supposed to play Northern Iowa in 2010 but they dropped out and the game was replaced with the Youngstown game.

UNHWildCats
March 16th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Nothing more then accidentally adding in a game that shouldn't have been there. When people read these schedules at the link at the link they need to check the color code. This game was never listed as a confirmed game.

grayghost06
March 17th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Can anyone shed light on this conundrum?

http://pflfan.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=946

Off topic a bit, but any Butler fans out there know where I could view a picture of the Butler Bowl before they added that ( now gone ) theatre in the endzone? That stadium must have been a monster back in the day. And for that matter, your basketball field house rocks!

lc83
March 17th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I don't know where to get a picture like that, but this is whats its gonna be...

http://pflfan.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=929&page=2

Twentysix
March 18th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Scheduling is a two way street. It doesn't matter how much you want to play a certain team, if they don't/can't play because they already have a scheduled game then your out of luck (unless you have enough $ for a buyout).

Butler still has Albion because of someone's wack idea for a 10 year contract or something like that! But they are starting to play teams like Youngstown, Indiana St., and Dartmouth so it is improving. Butler was actually supposed to play Northern Iowa in 2010 but they dropped out and the game was replaced with the Youngstown game.

Am i allowed to LOL at the bolded? :P.

UNHWildCats
March 18th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Am i allowed to LOL at the bolded? :P.
One to laugh considering NDSU was only 1 game better then them in Conference last season. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

MplsBison
March 19th, 2010, 10:04 AM
One to laugh considering NDSU was only 1 game better then them in Conference last season. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

1 game better in the standings....light years better on the field. And with our worst team since 2002.