PDA

View Full Version : I-AA champ to bowl game???

TxSt02
January 2nd, 2006, 12:21 PM
Has this ever been discussed?

I would like to see our championship team play in a bowl game about 2 weeks after the I-AA championship game.

Who do you think we should play? I know the Sunbelt wouldnt want to play us nor would a team from a BCS conference IMO...

I could see the I-AA champ playing a CUSA, MAC or MWC team in a GMAC, Motor City, etc caliber bowl...

Do you think this is a good idea? We could gain a lot from this but we could also lose some respect. If we play a crappy team and lose it wouldnt look so hot...

Thoughts???

yosefcity
January 2nd, 2006, 12:34 PM
Im for it. Just make it one of the Florida Bowls.

Eaglegus2
January 2nd, 2006, 12:39 PM
Don't know if this is true or not. After GSU had won the National Championship in '85, '86 or '89, it was rumored that they were being considered to get an invitation to play in the Peach Bowl. The invitation was contingent on Georgia Tech beating Wake Forest. WF won the game and it all became a mute point.

Like I said, it was rumored.

TxSt02
January 2nd, 2006, 12:41 PM
Don't know if this is true or not. After GSU had won the National Championship in '85, '86 or '89, it was rumored that they were being considered to get an invitation to play in the Peach Bowl. The invitation was contingent on Georgia Tech beating Wake Forest. WF won the game and it all became a mute point.

Like I said, it was rumored.

mute or moot point??? :p

Eaglegus2
January 2nd, 2006, 12:47 PM
mute or moot point??? :p

Both!! :bang:

It was kept very quiet and after GT's loss it didn't matter. :smiley_wi

UNH 40
January 2nd, 2006, 12:48 PM
I think it would be great to see the I-AA champion play in a bowl game against a I-A opponent. Having played against a relatively good I-A team in rutgers in 2004 i will tell you that it is not that much of a step up for a I-AA team to play a I-A team.

It is a great idea.

kardplayer
January 2nd, 2006, 12:48 PM
Good lord, these guys would have played 15 or 16 games already, I can't see the value of them playing another game on top of that - especially a meaningless bowl game.

Maybe we could send the "Woofed" team :)

colgate13
January 2nd, 2006, 12:54 PM
I also think ending the year for the NC with a 'W' is a better end to the season than a I-A bowl.

More importantly though, I doubt it could happen due to academics. I know that when Colgate made the finals, a lot of students caught up on exams in the week after. I don't know how that team would be able to conduct finals well with even more time taken for football.

:twocents:

January 2nd, 2006, 01:12 PM
...Maybe we could send the "Woofed" team :)Don't send the champ, they already did all the proving they need to do. send the runnerup or one of the semis runnerups.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 2nd, 2006, 02:07 PM
Don't send the champ, they already did all the proving they need to do. send the runnerup or one of the semis runnerups.

I also like the idea of one of the semi runnerups.

Champ goes out a winner
Championship participants have already played enough games and their fans have already travelled to Chatty
Semi runnerups would still represent I-AA very, very well
Semi runnerups fans probably would still travel well
"Braveheart" Ralph could lead the I-AA hardcores in mass against the I-A infidels :bow: :bow: xlolx xlolx

Still prefer a I-AA super celebration event after Christmas with the championship game and an all star game, but a bowl game could be developed into the next best thing.

blackfordpu
January 2nd, 2006, 05:39 PM
Both!! :bang:

It was kept very quiet and after GT's loss it didn't matter. :smiley_wi

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

McTailGator
January 2nd, 2006, 06:10 PM

I would like to see our championship team play in a bowl game about 2 weeks after the I-AA championship game.

Who do you think we should play? I know the Sunbelt wouldnt want to play us nor would a team from a BCS conference IMO...

I could see the I-AA champ playing a CUSA, MAC or MWC team in a GMAC, Motor City, etc caliber bowl...

Do you think this is a good idea? We could gain a lot from this but we could also lose some respect. If we play a crappy team and lose it wouldnt look so hot...

Thoughts???

Why lower ourselves and cheapen the meaning of being the NCAA's ONLY Division I National Champion and play a meaningless exhibition game?

The bowls are boring and meaningless.

Pard4Life
January 2nd, 2006, 09:23 PM
I don't see a respectable I-A confernce, like C-USA, send a team to play a I-AA champion. It would be humiliating if C-USA lost. I-A would never agree.

I just like the title game being after Christmas, in a nice location. Frankly, I'd love to see it held in Siberia (er, Hamilton NY) since I'm a cold weather snow guy... but San Diego, Arizona, Las Vegas, Hawaii, or southern Florida would be ideal. Hawaii would be too $$ though.

Plus, if it is after Christmas, then tehre should be a designated 'week off' for exams in mid-December. Maybe the Ivy would get on board then.

golionsgo
January 2nd, 2006, 10:08 PM

Thoughts???

Won't have enough Division I-A wins to qualify for a bowl game.

HensRock
January 3rd, 2006, 08:30 AM
I don't see a respectable I-A confernce, like C-USA, send a team to play a I-AA champion. It would be humiliating if C-USA lost. I-A would never agree.

I just like the title game being after Christmas, in a nice location. Frankly, I'd love to see it held in Siberia (er, Hamilton NY) since I'm a cold weather snow guy... but San Diego, Arizona, Las Vegas, Hawaii, or southern Florida would be ideal. Hawaii would be too $$ though.

Plus, if it is after Christmas, then tehre should be a designated 'week off' for exams in mid-December. Maybe the Ivy would get on board then.

I agree 100%

A. No I-A team would go for it, so forget about it.
B. Putting the I-AA Champ game after Christmas makes it a "bowl" game that actually does mean something. This increases I-AA exposure.
C. Moving the game later will allow more people to make travel plans and will increase attendance.
D. This will also allow the playoffs to start 1 week later to allow for conference championship games and other "rivalry" games to wrap up prior to the playoffs. This would allow the SWAC to participate in the playoffs while still keeping the Bayou Classic - this has been a sticking point.

foghorn
January 3rd, 2006, 08:49 AM
HR, I like your idea of starting the playoffs later and playing the championship in 'prime time' after Christmas, or during Christmas week.
I doubt very strongly that any Div. I-A team would play a Div. I-AA team on national TV in a bowl game; they wouldn't take the good chance of getting humiliated. :nod:

Mr. Tiger
January 3rd, 2006, 11:04 AM
If I am not mistaken, there is an NCAA rule that prevents Division I-A bowls from inviting a Division I-AA team. Regardless, there would be no benefit for any Division I-A conference to even consider it anyway. Because if the Division I-A school won, what has it proven. If the D I-A loses, that's even worse. Bowls are used as a recruiting tool and a loss to a Division I-AA school certainly wouldn't help.

UDBlueLotFan
January 3rd, 2006, 01:52 PM
Why not get bowl games in the I-AA? Don't take me wrong with my opening statement. The bread and butter of the I-AA will still be the 16-team tournement, but what about the teams that still had a respectable year.

For those teams not selected to the playoffs, have bowl games around the I-AA playgrounds. UD went 6-5 this yr. I would have loved to see them play say a team out of the Big Sky, like Montana St., who had a respectable yr. or someone from the Southern, Gateway, etc. We all know how hard the kids work yr. around to try to make the 16-team playoffs; they, the Seniors, should be rewarded. With the parity throughout all the conferences, it's getting tougher and tougher to make the playoffs.

I would announce the bowl games the same time the 16-team playoffs are announced. Two wks later, the second wk of the playoffs, the bowl games could be played say Thurs-Sat. night with ESPN coverage. It's just a thought.

kardplayer
January 3rd, 2006, 02:19 PM
Why not get bowl games in the I-AA? Don't take me wrong with my opening statement. The bread and butter of the I-AA will still be the 16-team tournement, but what about the teams that still had a respectable year.

For those teams not selected to the playoffs, have bowl games around the I-AA playgrounds. UD went 6-5 this yr. I would have loved to see them play say a team out of the Big Sky, like Montana St., who had a respectable yr. or someone from the Southern, Gateway, etc. We all know how hard the kids work yr. around to try to make the 16-team playoffs; they, the Seniors, should be rewarded. With the parity throughout all the conferences, it's getting tougher and tougher to make the playoffs.

I would announce the bowl games the same time the 16-team playoffs are announced. Two wks later, the second wk of the playoffs, the bowl games could be played say Thurs-Sat. night with ESPN coverage. It's just a thought.

I like this idea, my only concern would be on its impact to the playoffs - here's why:

Right now, the SWAC and Ivies don't participate in the playoffs. Might a potential bowl trip make the MEAC and Patriot, respectively, pull their champion out of the playoffs to play those champions?

I know some will think "good riddance if they want to leave", but the reality is that would be a bad thing for I-AA. I think if this were to take place, you'd have to mandate that any team invited to the playoffs - including the SWAC's and Ivies needed to accept the playoff invitation or they could not play in a bowl. This is essentially the same rule they have with March Madness and the NIT (although the NCAA had to "buy" the NIT in order to make this legal).

skinny_uncle
January 3rd, 2006, 02:37 PM
Don't send the champ, they already did all the proving they need to do. send the runnerup or one of the semis runnerups.
How about all of the above?
I doubt if I-A would be interested, but who knows. Anything to make a buck.

skinny_uncle
January 3rd, 2006, 02:39 PM

ESPN??????????????
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

UDBlueLotFan
January 3rd, 2006, 03:14 PM
This has nothing to do with the I-AA playoffs. It's just an idea for those teams that finished 7-4, 6-5 or do not participate in the playoffs to have an extra game. There would be alot of interesting matchups that you would only see once in a blue-moon in an OCS game. Unless the SWAC and Ivies change, they still would not participate the playoffs, but could in a bowl game. I would only want them played in the participating schools surroundings and not in some big venue. In no way, should the integretiy of the I-AA playoff system be bothered.

colgate13
January 3rd, 2006, 03:18 PM
That's like the 'I-AA NIT' we've discussed from time to time. Pick a bunch of good schools that miss the playoffs and have them square off. I would watch it.

Pard4Life
January 3rd, 2006, 05:07 PM
I dunno. Who would be interested aside from the diehards on this board? I'd go to Fisher to see Lafayette- Montana St., but who else would? We have enough attendance troubles as is.

And doesn't this conflict with exams? And travel expenses for a game that doesn't count? The IAA audience would pay attention to the I-AA playoffs, not meaningless consolation games. The high schools in NJ play consolation games for the non-playoff qualifiers, and nobody cares because the playoffs are at the same time.

I'd rather spend the effort on moving the I-AA game to Bowl Week and to a warm location. Chattanooga does a good job, but elsewhere would be better... like Arizona, Las Vegas, San Diego, southern California, so. Florida.

RabidRabbit
January 13th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Has the I-AA leadership approached any of the low level bowls that get the 15th Big Ten to play the #5 CAA about becoming the host Highest Championship game? I'd bet Texas or LA stadiums/homes would jump at the opportunity to host the Championship game. And push for a post Christmas/ pre New Years date