PDA

View Full Version : Update on JMU's Bridgeforth Expansion..

Pages : [1] 2

jmu_duke07
February 24th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Here's a link showing photos of the progression of Bridgeforth...

http://http://picasaweb.google.com/hittiezm/BridgeforthStadium#5434106889506159538 (http://picasaweb.google.com/hittiezm/BridgeforthStadium#5434106889506159538)

also, here is a site for a webcam and info about the expansion

http://http://www.jmu.edu/bridgeforthstadium/?KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=14400&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT= (http://www.jmu.edu/bridgeforthstadium/?KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=14400&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=)

JMUNJ08
March 25th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Still not a ton to fully see but the steel is almost all the way up! too bad it will take another year and a half to be appreciated! I'd be scared to be the opening team in 2011!

DRDukes
March 25th, 2010, 12:02 PM
But the photos/webcam don't even do it justice. When you see it in person, it is MUCH bigger. Cant wait!

South Carolina Duke
March 25th, 2010, 11:29 PM
The Lower level is already above the parking deck as far as the steel shows right now. That is just the beginning!

53K here we come!!!!!!!!!!!

The new Bridegeforth Stadium is going to be the Premier Stadium of FCS Football.

Watch and Learn everyone, watch and learn..................

Go Dukes!

Dignan
March 26th, 2010, 04:28 AM
The Lower level is already above the parking deck as far as the steel shows right now. That is just the beginning!

The new Bridegeforth Stadium is going to be the Premier Stadium of FCS Football.

Go Dukes!

53K? Are they going to have a new, stacked seating plan? Will people be sitting piggy-backed on others? xlolx

GannonFan
March 26th, 2010, 07:59 AM

Go Dukes!

That's the part I don't understand - people talk about how huge the place will be, but in 2011 the seating capacity is just going to be a hair under 25k - that's still smaller than Montana and Appy St and only a fraction bigger than UD and ODU. Sure there's a phase 3 that could make it FBS size but there's no plans to follow through on that part for at least a decade.

South Carolina Duke
March 26th, 2010, 08:34 AM
UD capacity, 22k seats

App. St capacity, 21,650 seats

Montana capacity, 25k + seats

Madison's first phase capacity, 25k by total completion of the project, 53k

So it is not going to be smaller than any current stadium other than the Grizzlies and with the current plan that will will be short lived.

GannonFan
March 26th, 2010, 10:23 AM
UD capacity, 22k seats

So it is not going to be smaller than any current stadium other than the Grizzlies and with the current plan that will will be short lived.

Well, sure, don't include the hill and the fact that Appy gets 27k-28k for games and you're golden!

And as for the plan to go to 53k, when does that happen? Ever? Haven't JMU folks been saying it's at least a decade out, if not more? That's an interesting description of "short lived".

grayghost06
March 26th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Not sure where you're getting that 53k figure from, though certainly I wouldn't mind if there were built in plans to allow for future growth. Everything I've heard and read over the past two years mentioned a possible build out in "stage 3" to around 40k. Short of knocking down Godwin, there really is no room to allow for anything more than a duplicate of the new double decked sideline seating. That structure will hold about 15k. So take the capacity of 25k after Phase 1 & 2 are completed, ( which includes the original 5000 seat structure by Godwin and lower bowl endzone seating), add in a new 15k structure on the Godwin side to match the lake side ( subtract the current 5k stands ) and you've got 35k. If we double decked the endzone, I could see an additional 5k to get to 40k but 53k seems out of the question.

Would love it if it were true but again, just haven't heard anything to corraberate what you're suggesting. Do have have a news release or have you heard from "someone in the know"? It would be great news if true.

jmu_duke07
March 26th, 2010, 01:33 PM
http://www.moseleyprojects.com/ActivePages/00main.asp?projno=15053033747552576114032236132321 6229448243393

rufus
March 26th, 2010, 05:39 PM
And as for the plan to go to 53k, when does that happen? Ever? Haven't JMU folks been saying it's at least a decade out, if not more? That's an interesting description of "short lived".

JMU has signed engineering and project management contracts for all three phases of construction. The contracts were signed in 2008 and run for 10 years and three phases. That money is committed and will be spent, which would lead you to believe that the administration is serious about building this thing. If you don't believe it, submit a FOIA request, and the school will happily provide you with copies. You can also look at the RFPs on the Virginia state procurement website. The plans call for all three phases with 40-45k seats (not 53k) by 2018. So yeah, it's a while off.

JMUNJ08
March 26th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I like the idea of 25K for a bit cuz it would be interesting to see if we actually fill it. Yeah we could probably get 15-20K per game if tickets weren't scarce for most games but why even think about 45K until we achieve 25K? Plus, if you've been to games lately, where are all these ppl parking?

jmufan999
April 4th, 2010, 11:07 PM
I like the idea of 25K for a bit cuz it would be interesting to see if we actually fill it. Yeah we could probably get 15-20K per game if tickets weren't scarce for most games but why even think about 45K until we achieve 25K? Plus, if you've been to games lately, where are all these ppl parking?

i'm sure they're not finished building as far as parking areas go. this expansion has been in the master plan for a long time, i have to assume they've thought of the parking issue.

as far as whether we can fill it... i think it will be new enough and cool looking enough at first that people will be curious to see what it's like. hopefully we play ok and have a pretty crazy atmosphere and we'll be fine.

rufus
April 5th, 2010, 12:07 PM
i'm sure they're not finished building as far as parking areas go. this expansion has been in the master plan for a long time, i have to assume they've thought of the parking issue.

as far as whether we can fill it... i think it will be new enough and cool looking enough at first that people will be curious to see what it's like. hopefully we play ok and have a pretty crazy atmosphere and we'll be fine.

I assume fans will park in some of the 6 new parking decks that JMU plans to add. See pgs 10-11 of the JMU master plan.

http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/JMUI/jmu_master_plan/2009072701/

jmufan999
April 5th, 2010, 12:36 PM
good stuff Rufus. i see page 31 is where you were talking about the COMPLETE expansion.... anyone that thought that we'd have one gigantic side and leave the other looking all tiny and old for forever was mistaken. both sides will (eventually) be big... we're going to FBS, it's just a matter of when. i'd really like to win another NC before we do that... you don't make all these moves just to stay in FCS, too much money involved (and not enough money gained from FCS to justify staying).

JmuSkinsfan
April 6th, 2010, 08:33 AM
It looks like there will be a new parking deck going up where the old Softball field was / still is. Also, another down by the modular buildings behind UREC. Another across from campus behind Starbucks. Finally, one more where the old baseball stadium was / is. Also, the trucks started moving over on the new Port Road Sportsplex. That will contain intramural fields but also a new soccer / lacross / field hockey fields. I saw in one of the models they had over in ISAT last year that they were planning on putting two large parking decks in place of where those fields are currently located on east side.

Dignan
April 7th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Also, another down by the modular buildings behind UREC. Another across from campus behind Starbucks.

There's a Starbucks on campus now? Nuts.

JmuSkinsfan
April 7th, 2010, 12:00 PM
There's a Starbucks on campus now? Nuts.

Well, there are actually three. One in Top Dog (above Dukes), another that they just added to Carrier Library before this year. Finally, there is one right across the street from the entrance off Exit 245 in the new shopping center there (along with a hair cuttery, Italian place and Jimmy Johns).. The one I was referring to above is the one right off campus across the street from the main entrance (where there is a commuter/residence lot right now) between campus and Purcell Park

jmufan999
April 7th, 2010, 12:26 PM
i heard there's a Chipotle on campus now.... mmmmmmm! maybe that's not correct, that's what i heard.

JmuSkinsfan
April 7th, 2010, 01:17 PM
i heard there's a Chipotle on campus now.... mmmmmmm! maybe that's not correct, that's what i heard.

Well, the new chipotle is actually in the new shopping center right across from the east campus entrance near Wal-mart ... so close enough. They also just opened a subway, pancheros (like a chipotle) and salad creations in the new 865 apartment complex at the top of port and devon. Plus they are opening a ton of new "nicer" bars and restaurants downtown that are really unique and good as hell also. A lot has changed in just the 4.5 years i've been here.

My grandparents were swinging through town today after touring the south and some 4 and 5 star restaurants (a life long goal of theirs was to visit all the 5 star restaurants in the US and they just finished it ... they used to own a restaurant) anyway ... they swung through and I took them to the new e-hall dining facility and they were in heaven. so, next time you are here, skip chipotle and go to Ehall cause that place is literally heaven on earth.

JMUNJ08
April 7th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I think some of you need to visit your University more often!

jmufan999
April 8th, 2010, 10:27 AM
ha, some of us have full time jobs in other cities :)

JMUNJ08
April 8th, 2010, 04:09 PM

No different here being almost 6 hours from campus but does that really stop anyone??? Now if you had kids you get a break...

Dignan
April 9th, 2010, 03:27 AM

And for some of us (ok, maybe just one) that city is in another country!

I think I haven't been back to campus since maybe 2000 or 2001. I think the last time I was at a football game there, Curtis Keaton was running all over everyone.

Eight Legger
April 12th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Sounds like the expansion was burned to the ground this weekend...

http://deadspin.com/5514644/jmus-spring-party-turns-into-a-riot/gallery/

SideLine Shooter
April 12th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Sounds like the expansion was burned to the ground this weekend...

http://deadspin.com/5514644/jmus-spring-party-turns-into-a-riot/gallery/

Looks like a great place for a fine education. I know their parents are proud.xlolx

neersnbeers
April 12th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I think some of you need to visit your University more often!

Appears that this past Saturday would have been a great time......haha

MplsBison
April 12th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Every school has kids who party.

Chalk it up to the "message board" effect and over-journalization of our society.

Everything now is instantly reported and summarily judged.

Eight Legger
April 12th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Every school has kids who party.

Chalk it up to the "message board" effect and over-journalization of our society.

Everything now is instantly reported and summarily judged.

Does every school have 8,000 drunk kids uprooting trees, setting dumpsters on fire and throwing rocks at police who are lined up 15 wide with helmets and shields, who are then forced to fire tear gas into massive crowds of students? Does every school have hundreds of kids chanting "F the police" in unison while flipping the bird at them?

I'm not trying to bag (too much) on JMU, but this was a full-out riot and a complete embarrassment to the school. Watch some of the YouTube videos and tell me if it was blown out of proportion. I don't think so.

jmu_duke07
April 12th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Does every school have 8,000 drunk kids uprooting trees, setting dumpsters on fire and throwing rocks at police who are lined up 15 wide with helmets and shields, who are then forced to fire tear gas into massive crowds of students? Does every school have hundreds of kids chanting "F the police" in unison while flipping the bird at them?

I'm not trying to bag (too much) on JMU, but this was a full-out riot and a complete embarrassment to the school. Watch some of the YouTube videos and tell me if it was blown out of proportion. I don't think so.

It was an embarrasment that it happened at JMU, but, not all were JMU students. Many from others schools (including Richmond) come up for JMU's block party. As I blame the 200 that were throwing beer bottles/lighting dumpsters/acting idiotic, it wasn't all JMU students. From what I recall, I saw one kid with a Mason t-shirt on leading the parade against the police. So while you Richmond folks jump to you're artificial, self-entitiled elitism.. Take note that this could happen at any university.

bostonspider
April 12th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I "could" happen anywhere, but then again this was not the first time it had happened at Madison. I agree that many many of the kids were not JMU students, but it seams there needs to be a bit more institutional control over the block party, even if it is off-campus.

Eight Legger
April 12th, 2010, 05:17 PM
It was an embarrasment that it happened at JMU, but, not all were JMU students. Many from others schools (including Richmond) come up for JMU's block party. As I blame the 200 that were throwing beer bottles/lighting dumpsters/acting idiotic, it wasn't all JMU students. From what I recall, I saw one kid with a Mason t-shirt on leading the parade against the police. So while you Richmond folks jump to you're artificial, self-entitiled elitism.. Take note that this could happen at any university.

I'm not elitist or entitled to anything. I do think this is much more likely to happen at a public school, but if it happened at UR, I would post the exact same thing I did earlier.

dakotadan
April 12th, 2010, 07:39 PM

The University of North Dakota does. xlolx

We also have a Springfest. It was an official function on campus that students migrated off campus to a city owned park on the edge of campus as an unofficial function for about the last decade. One year it got out of control and the next thing we knew picnic tables, couches, lawn furniture and everything else students could grab ended up in a giant bonfire. The cops and fire department had to come in and take control. We ended up on the national news and shortly after made Playboy's list of top party schools!!! xhurrayx

Needless to say you now need a permit for any moderately sized group get togethers or to bring alcohol into any city owned park. And Springfest is now sponsored by a bar that charges outrageous prices so nobody goes and Springfest has kind of died down.

Things like this can happen anywhere. When you get this many drunk college kids in one spot, stupid stuff is bound to happen.

ur2k
April 12th, 2010, 08:30 PM

It could but this happened in the valley, not Richmond. I was expecting the cops to get hit with purple and yellow streamers in those youtube videos. xlolx

JmuSkinsfan
April 12th, 2010, 09:53 PM
It is definitely an embarrasment. I was there, and it should have been just 8,000 of us having fun. Unfortunately that is twice the size as past years, because of facebook, etc, more people around the state know when and where to go. The crowd was probably only 50% JMU students and alumni, and I can vouch that 95% of the people cleared out fast. The other idiots throwing bottles (maybe 100-200 max) are the ones that you see in the videos. They got pushed from one end of the blcok to the end where the rioting really occurred, so you have all of the idiots amassed in one place. I'd say that a majority of the rioters were thugs from other parts of the state and region that aren't in college and didn't care about trashing the place. I know in some of the up-close pictures the kids are apparently from a local high school. I'm still livid, and I'm not saying JMU studenst are to blame ... but we have two block parties a year and it never gets close to this... hopefully the ones in the future shrink back down and we can better regulate who comes

JMUDuke2002
April 13th, 2010, 07:59 AM
I "could" happen anywhere, but then again this was not the first time it had happened at Madison. I agree that many many of the kids were not JMU students, but it seams there needs to be a bit more institutional control over the block party, even if it is off-campus.

I would love to know what JMU can do to prevent gatherings at off campus, private property events. They certaintly have the authority to punish students after the fact if things go wrong; however, any attempt by JMU to limit a gathering off-campus would have, since JMU is a state university, legal ramifications.

The individual property owners would have ability to limit these events as would the city of Harrisonburg. Of course, JMU has huge influence in the city and I would like to see them exert it to prevent gatherings of this size. As someone on the JMU boards mentioned, this stuff didn't happen when large party's were still on campus. I remember back when this was true. But, the current administration pushed a lot of things off campus for liability reasons, and now, in my opinion, they are reaping what they sowed. I just hope the community can come together and find a way to prevent this type of thing from happening again.

Dignan
April 13th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I would love to know what JMU can do to prevent gatherings at off campus, private property events. They certaintly have the authority to punish students after the fact if things go wrong; however, any attempt by JMU to limit a gathering off-campus would have, since JMU is a state university, legal ramifications.

The individual property owners would have ability to limit these events as would the city of Harrisonburg. Of course, JMU has huge influence in the city and I would like to see them exert it to prevent gatherings of this size. As someone on the JMU boards mentioned, this stuff didn't happen when large party's were still on campus. I remember back when this was true. But, the current administration pushed a lot of things off campus for liability reasons, and now, in my opinion, they are reaping what they sowed. I just hope the community can come together and find a way to prevent this type of thing from happening again.

I agree with JmuSkinsfan. I think a lot of this might be due to the Facebook/Twitter effect where people from all over can find out about a party that they otherwise would have no knowledge of (I'm referring to the scale of the party, not the riots themselves). When I went to school there were some large parties, but nothing even approaching this scale. They were also largely peaceful affairs where pretty much the only negatives were people overdrinking and the occasional bust up by the police, which merely meant that the party shut down and everyone moved on to the next place.

I don't know, when I see things in the news it certainly seems like JMU has changed quite a bit since I was there. Doesn't seem quite so innocent anymore... not that it was truly "innocent" then either.

jmufan999
April 13th, 2010, 08:44 AM
is this thread about the JMU incident or is it about Bridgeforth Stadium expansion?

JMU Newbill
April 13th, 2010, 09:04 AM
is this thread about the JMU incident or is it about Bridgeforth Stadium expansion?

xbangx

Dignan
April 13th, 2010, 09:10 AM

It started off well...

xsmiley_wix

JMUDuke2002
April 13th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I know! I'll take some blame for going off topic.

On that note, the corner has turned! I can't wait to see the seats going in so we can get a better sense on the angles.

JMUNJ08
April 13th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I know! I'll take some blame for going off topic.

On that note, the corner has turned! I can't wait to see the seats going in so we can get a better sense on the angles.

Yes! I was waiting for the threads topic to come back! The corner is looking good and can't wait for some more 'crete to get put down!

bostonspider
April 13th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Are there any aerial shots of the construction? It would give such a better sense of what it is going to look like...

JMU2004
April 13th, 2010, 12:19 PM
A little old, but this may help with overhead shots.

http://www.moseleyprojects.com/ActivePages/04phot.asp?secidno=164207478243393_201003251155361 5&projno=1363055364357442140241422644361968214622433 93

rufus
April 13th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Are there any aerial shots of the construction? It would give such a better sense of what it is going to look like...

Looking at final sketches gives you a pretty good idea of what it is going to look like...

http://www.moseleyprojects.com/ImgSize/resize.aspx?path=/0000_MainPg_Img/480261_top.jpg&width=700

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics11/800/MY/MYPBJDMECDHUUZO.20090830150308.jpg

JmuSkinsfan
April 13th, 2010, 04:31 PM
They've started to turn the corner on the endzone lower level. Though, if I remember correctly, they weren't going to do the permanent endzone seats until after this season (along witth the upper deck). I think they are going to stop after it straightens out and continue with the temp. bleachers for this year. I don't know how to post pictures, but if you check out the thread on CAAzone someone just posted some from this afternoon and it looks like it's gonna be a freaking mamoth ... even just with the first level in place for this season.

doolittledog
April 13th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Is this really a case of "build it and they will come" or will we see JMU move to FCS and play in a half empty stadium most Saturdays unless they play a team that brings 25,000 of their own fans with them?

rufus
April 13th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Is this really a case of "build it and they will come" or will we see JMU move to FCS and play in a half empty stadium most Saturdays unless they play a team that brings 25,000 of their own fans with them?

Considering JMU already averages around 16k, while turning away several thousand per game, I don't see it being a problem to bring in 20k+ for most games. The homecoming and parent's weekend games should be sell outs even at 25k, and the excitement around the new stadium might help sell out some additional games.

I'm not really sure why you think attendance will decline when the new stadium opens. I guess it's possible, but I think most teams see a jump in attendance when they open a new stadium. I guess we'll see.

Also, JMU is already in FCS.

doolittledog
April 13th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I'm talking once they complete the building phases and the place is seating 45k-50k.

rufus
April 13th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I'm talking once they complete the building phases and the place is seating 45k-50k.

Well now your question makes a lot more sense. It will probably be another 5-10 years before JMU starts construction on the additional phases. A lot can change in a decade, especially with a move to FBS. Even though JMU has already signed contracts for engineers and project managers through all three phases, the administration could always pull the plug if they determine that the full expansion is not needed or not viable. If we stay in FCS, the additional phases may never be completed.

JmuSkinsfan
April 13th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Yeah, as Rufus said, there is no way JMU expands to 45-50k and stays in the FCS. But I think there is a perception out there that schools who have the money and facilities (JMU, ODU, Delaware, ASU and maybe Georgia State) could be moving up to FBS ... maybe even sooner rather than later depending on what happens on the FBS level in 2012.

jmufan999
April 13th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Well now your question makes a lot more sense. It will probably be another 5-10 years before JMU starts construction on the additional phases. A lot can change in a decade, especially with a move to FBS. Even though JMU has already signed contracts for engineers and project managers through all three phases, the administration could always pull the plug if they determine that the full expansion is not needed or not viable. If we stay in FCS, the additional phases may never be completed.

bingo. 5-10 years is a LONG way away. the school has been growing consistently since at least when i first arrived (1999), so we're not getting any smaller, numbers-wise. my theory has always been that people will want to sit in the "new" place, get a feel for it (just because it's new) at first... and if we win, they'll definitely stick around. if not, it's 50-50. but a shiny new "toy" of a stadium never hurt local curiosity. obviously the hope is that it helps recruiting, which brings more talent, and thus more winning.

JMUNJ08
April 14th, 2010, 10:31 AM
bingo. 5-10 years is a LONG way away. the school has been growing consistently since at least when i first arrived (1999), so we're not getting any smaller, numbers-wise. my theory has always been that people will want to sit in the "new" place, get a feel for it (just because it's new) at first... and if we win, they'll definitely stick around. if not, it's 50-50. but a shiny new "toy" of a stadium never hurt local curiosity. obviously the hope is that it helps recruiting, which brings more talent, and thus more winning.

I totally agree. If we struggle in 2011 (when the whole side and endzone are finished) we could see empty seats appearing more frequently for other home games (home opener/family weekend/homecoming aside). The fan support wasn't always there when we weren't winning. Heck, our NC year I showed up to a 1/2 empty student section during the 1st quarter who left after the band played at halftime! There were still 15K students but no one went. We have a winning tradition at the moment but have to sustain it a big longer to have everyone buy into it like the big FBS schools or perennial FCS teams. Right now its just the cool thing to do on Saturdays after your done with tailgating.

JMUDuke2002
April 15th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Lastest pictures taken by one of the JMU board members. This thing just gets sweeter by the day.

[http://boards.caazone.com/showthread.php?t=87875&page=66

JMUNJ08
April 15th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Lastest pictures taken by one of the JMU board members. This thing just gets sweeter by the day.

[http://boards.caazone.com/showthread.php?t=87875&page=66

xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

June 1st can't come soon enough for individual game tickets! If I was closer than 6 hours a season ticket plan would be worth it....xbawlingx

jmu_duke07
April 29th, 2010, 05:10 PM
New pic shows brand new score board

http://i39.tinypic.com/1zpmg49.jpg

JMUNJ08
April 29th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Makes sense to move it over so the whole crowd can see. Just kinda wasteful the other NC one last what? 6 years?

MplsBison
April 30th, 2010, 07:31 AM
New pic shows brand new score board

http://i39.tinypic.com/1zpmg49.jpg

I assume that is the press box...are there any suites in the expansion?

th0m
April 30th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Yes between the lower and upper deck.

rufus
April 30th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Makes sense to move it over so the whole crowd can see. Just kinda wasteful the other NC one last what? 6 years?

From what I understand, the old video board is being revamped and moved to the new baseball stadium.

JMUNJ08
April 30th, 2010, 12:14 PM
From what I understand, the old video board is being revamped and moved to the new baseball stadium.

Wow I've been gone for 1 year and I won't recognize the place with these additions... That board will be more than enough at the new baseball stadium

MplsBison
April 30th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Yes between the lower and upper deck.

Ok I see them, thanks.

Is that a club level at the bottom of the upper deck? Is there an actual club? Or just nicer seats with a required donation?

th0m
April 30th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Yes there are club seats, but as far as I know they are on the lower level roughly between the 35yd lines. I'm pretty sure they require an annual donation to the Duke Club.

Here's some more info on the club seats: http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14400&ATCLID=204770486&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=14400&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

JMU2004
April 30th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Ok I see them, thanks.

Is that a club level at the bottom of the upper deck? Is there an actual club? Or just nicer seats with a required donation?

you betcha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bl03lDXHKw

MplsBison
April 30th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Oh there is an actual club lounge as well! Nice!!

This is something I wish the Fargodome could get, but it's not going to happen. They had to retrofit the thing with a handful of suites.

Maybe in 20 years when they build a new stadium it can be modeled after JMU's! xprayx

SoCon48
April 30th, 2010, 06:20 PM
UD capacity, 22k seats

App gets 32K in their stadium.

jmu_duke07
April 30th, 2010, 07:04 PM
App gets 32K in their stadium.

Richmond could as well in there new stadium but I'm not a fan of BYOChair/Standing Room at Div1 football games

SoCon48
May 3rd, 2010, 12:05 PM
Richmond could as well in there new stadium but I'm not a fan of BYOChair/Standing Room at Div1 football games
Evidently 10 or 12,00 are in Boone.

jmu_duke07
May 10th, 2010, 08:08 AM
New Pictures of Bridgeforth posted this weekend.

http://picasaweb.google.com/hittiezm/BridgeforthStadium#5468704935939541426

JMUNJ08
May 10th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Saw those on the zone and word is bleacher supports going up this week!

Wildcat80
May 10th, 2010, 02:35 PM
We will be there on Oct 16. Have nice sunny weather for us. :)

jmu_duke07
May 18th, 2010, 07:09 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmu_photography_services/4534239019/sizes/l/in/set-72157623888879530/

gives good insight on how big the first tier is gonna be... imagine it with the second tier... impressive!

Dignan
May 18th, 2010, 08:18 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmu_photography_services/4534239019/sizes/l/in/set-72157623888879530/

gives good insight on how big the first tier is gonna be... imagine it with the second tier... impressive!

Seeing it from that angle makes me realize how important it is that JMU goes ahead with the other side. It's going to look kind of ridiculous to have one side and the end zone looking like a real stadium and a the other side being puny and outdated.

I'd heard from people who'd seen the construction in person that it's much bigger than it looks on the webcam, now I can see it's true from the aerial pics. On the webcam it looks like it's about the same size as the old structure, but it is definitely much bigger than that.

GannonFan
May 18th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I don't get this idea of people saying how big it is - the place, when done, will still just be under 25k seats. That's almost 3k more than UD and almost 5k more than ODU - and no one is calling those places huge.

Dignan
May 18th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I don't get this idea of people saying how big it is - the place, when done, will still just be under 25k seats. That's almost 3k more than UD and almost 5k more than ODU - and no one is calling those places huge.

It's huge compared to what we had before. That's my frame of reference. I do think it's weird that it only will add about 10k seats after it's finished, it seems proportionally larger than that.

I've been to UD's stadium, it's not exactly small either.

I think JMU's stadium will qualify as "huge" if they do finally do the other side as outlined in the overall plan. With matching double decked sides and a closed off endzone it would be a really quality stadium.

jmufan999
May 18th, 2010, 09:32 AM

by the way, you did mention on page 1 that you don't think it's going to be very big... we get it. :)

GannonFan
May 18th, 2010, 10:08 AM
It's huge compared to what we had before. That's my frame of reference. I do think it's weird that it only will add about 10k seats after it's finished, it seems proportionally larger than that.

I've been to UD's stadium, it's not exactly small either.

I think JMU's stadium will qualify as "huge" if they do finally do the other side as outlined in the overall plan. With matching double decked sides and a closed off endzone it would be a really quality stadium.

by the way, you did mention on page 1 that you don't think it's going to be very big... we get it. :)

Hey, it'll be the biggest in the CAA - though not by much. And yes, if the second side is ever completed (would need a move to FBS for that, though, no one's building a 50k seat FCS stadium) then it will be mighty impressive. As it is, it'll look a lot like YSU's stadium - certainly nice.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 18th, 2010, 10:44 AM
What's supposed to be in place for this season? What will your capacity be for the coming season?

jmufan999
May 18th, 2010, 11:43 AM
if the second side is ever completed (would need a move to FBS for that, though

see page 31 of the master plan... the other side will be completed. the master plan is either on page 1 or 2 of this thread, i'm too lazy to look it up. :) but it's going to happen. everyone wants to say it's going to take "a decade" or so, but to my knowledge, i don't think the school has released a timeline.

jmu_duke07
May 18th, 2010, 12:31 PM
What's supposed to be in place for this season? What will your capacity be for the coming season?

A completed version of this years phase is pretty much a finished project of what you see in the picture. Next years phase will include the new tier, press box, and wrap around.

JMUDuke2002
May 18th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Hey, it'll be the biggest in the CAA - though not by much. And yes, if the second side is ever completed (would need a move to FBS for that, though, no one's building a 50k seat FCS stadium) then it will be mighty impressive. As it is, it'll look a lot like YSU's stadium - certainly nice.

I think part of the problem is that you are taking the total capacity into account based on both sides, the newer huge side and the smaller side. I was having the same problem myself, until I visited and saw how large this thing is. If you just take what is being built and ignore the old student side, the new seating bowl and upper deck will account for 19,000 seats. So, essentially one half of the stadium equals ODU's total capacity and 3,000 less than UD's total capacity. That's a lot. When the other side is finally built up, you are talking total capacity closer to 45 or 50K.

I think these two pictures put it in better perspective.

http://picasaweb.google.com/hittiezm/BridgeforthStadium#5462957418520290386

http://picasaweb.google.com/hittiezm/BridgeforthStadium#5460357941895471634

It's going to look similar to this when all is done.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/Uscpan2a.jpg

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 19th, 2010, 11:02 AM
A completed version of this years phase is pretty much a finished project of what you see in the picture. Next years phase will include the new tier, press box, and wrap around.

What does that translate into capacity for the 2010 season?

jmufan999
May 19th, 2010, 11:34 AM
What does that translate into capacity for the 2010 season?

i think it's going to keep it around 15K but don't quote me on that. it'll go up once they build the upper deck, enclose the endzone, and build the other side.

DRDukes
May 19th, 2010, 12:20 PM
This fall capacity will still be right around 16,000. A good chunk of those will be temporary bleachers in the end zone and along the bottom of the new side. Once the 2010 season ends the upper deck will be added, the end zone will be closed in with permanent seats, and the lower level seats will be constructed. We can’t do the lower level seats this year because the crane needs space to build the upper deck next year. When the 2011 season kicks off, the stadium will have 25,000+ permanent seats, which is a 10,000+ seat upgrade from what we've had the past few years. Once we get to the point where we are selling out the 25,000 seats on a regular basis and/or we make the jump to the BCS, we will look at completing the second side. We have already signed a contract on the other side and the building plans have been finalized, but there is no timetable on when construction would start. Assuming we finish the entire project, the stadium (upper decks on both sidelines, suites on both sidelines, the club and the club section on the Newman lake side, and the lower level of the end zone) will seat just over 40,000. Some of the early designs also showed an upper deck in the end zone which could increase capacity an additional 5,000 to 7,500 seats. So, if all of the current plans are implemented, the new Bridgeforth Stadium could reach a maximum capacity of somewhere between 45,000 and 50,000. But again, we would need to sell out the new stadium for several years or make the jump to BCS before start construction on the second side. And who knows, if we make the jump up and demand continues to increase, we could also adjust the plans for the other side and increase seating capacity. But, all that is a long way off and we are all pretty happy with what the new stadium will offer starting this fall.

Longhorn
May 19th, 2010, 07:50 PM
if the second side is ever completed (then it will be mighty impressive. As it is, it'll look a lot like YSU's stadium - certainly nice.

Perhaps you're thinking that because YSU has a smaller grandstand set apart and across from the larger main sitting area the two stadiums are similar, but any comparison ends there. JMU's new Bridegforth won't look anything like YSU's Stambaugh stadium.

Stambaugh is a fine facility, but it does not have an upper deck, permanent endzone seating, nor many of the other advanced amenities the new JMU facility will boast. With an upper-deck tiered over the lower stands, and integrated corner and endzone seating wrapping around the field, the new Bridgeforth will have a very imposing and yet intimate, "enclosed" feeling to it, a feel that is entirely different than the open-ended Stambaugh.

Dignan
May 20th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Once we get to the point where we are selling out the 25,000 seats on a regular basis and/or we make the jump to the BCS, we will look at completing the second side.

Either you mean "FBS" or you're extraordinarily optimistic.

JMUNJ08
May 20th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Perhaps you're thinking that because YSU has a smaller grandstand set apart and across from the larger main sitting area the two stadiums are similar, but any comparison ends there. JMU's new Bridegforth won't look anything like YSU's Stambaugh stadium.

Stambaugh is a fine facility, but it does not have an upper deck, permanent endzone seating, nor many of the other advanced amenities the new JMU facility will boast. With an upper-deck tiered over the lower stands, and integrated corner and endzone seating wrapping around the field, the new Bridgeforth will have a very imposing and yet intimate, "enclosed" feeling to it, a feel that is entirely different than the open-ended Stambaugh.

Agreed Youngstown's home side is a lot like UR's old stadium as the home side was just one big set of bleachers.

DRDukes
May 21st, 2010, 06:00 AM
Either you mean "FBS" or you're extraordinarily optimistic.

I'm an optimist....

Sir William
May 21st, 2010, 07:39 AM
This fall capacity will still be right around 16,000.... When the 2011 season kicks off, the stadium will have 25,000+ permanent seats, which is a 10,000+ seat upgrade from what we've had the past few years. Once we get to the point where we are selling out the 25,000 seats on a regular basis and/or we make the jump to the BCS, we will look at completing the second side....Assuming we finish the entire project, the stadium will seat just over 40,000....if all of the current plans are implemented, the new Bridgeforth Stadium could reach a maximum capacity of somewhere between 45,000 and 50,000. But again, we would need to sell out the new stadium for several years or make the jump to BCS before start construction on the second side. And who knows, if we make the jump up and demand continues to increase, we could also adjust the plans for the other side and increase seating capacity. But, all that is a long way off and we are all pretty happy with what the new stadium will offer starting this fall.

It's great to see enthusiastic fan bases throughout FCS, at places like JMU, Appy, Montana, etc. Here is my question specifically for JMU...

Do you have the potential fan base to fill a 30-40K seat stadium on a regular basis? I remember when Marshall built their new 30,000-seat stadium back in the 90s before making the jump to FBS. Keep in mind that Marshall fans are absolutely crazy - borderline idolatrous - when it comes to their football team. In those days, it was standing room only in their stadium. Now that they have settled into semi-mediocrity, there are planty of seats available on a Saturday afternoon in Huntington. App State, as we all know, has had tremendous success in recent years, and now regularly sees 25,000+ fans in "standing room only", even with an expanded Kidd Brewer. However, I would speculate - and I could certainly be wrong - that if App had a few 6-8 win seasons, their home attendance would slip, and plenty of seats would be available. Look at Georgia Southern, who was the cream of FCS for many, many years, and sold out Paulson (16-18K) regularly. Now, there is no problem finding good seats in Stateboro.

Montana is a different animal, partly b/c of its geographical location and the fact that it is the pre-eminent school in its state. I could see them easily regularly attracting over 30-40K if they expanded to such, even if they stayed in FCS with such an expansion. Liberty is also a different animal, given its fanbase. They have a highly structured plan to expand Williams stadium to 40K and move up to FCS in the next few years. Again, I can see this happening when you consider their overall fanbase.

I guess my point is this...the enthusiasm at schools like JMU is great for FCS. But shouldn't most FCS schools set their long-term sights at 25K-seat stadiums at the most. It's interesting that Richmond wins a national championship and then builds a new and incredibly beautiful facility with less seating capacity than their previous. A constantly jam-packed stadium is a better game-day atmosphere than one which is constantly one-half to two-thirds full. If JMU can constantly fill a 30K stadium in the future, my hat is off to them.

JMU2004
May 21st, 2010, 08:07 AM
It's great to see enthusiastic fan bases throughout FCS, at places like JMU, Appy, Montana, etc. Here is my question specifically for JMU...

Do you have the potential fan base to fill a 30-40K seat stadium on a regular basis? I remember when Marshall built their new 30,000-seat stadium back in the 90s before making the jump to FBS. Keep in mind that Marshall fans are absolutely crazy - borderline idolatrous - when it comes to their football team. In those days, it was standing room only in their stadium. Now that they have settled into semi-mediocrity, there are planty of seats available on a Saturday afternoon in Huntington. App State, as we all know, has had tremendous success in recent years, and now regularly sees 25,000+ fans in "standing room only", even with an expanded Kidd Brewer. However, I would speculate - and I could certainly be wrong - that if App had a few 6-8 win seasons, their home attendance would slip, and plenty of seats would be available. Look at Georgia Southern, who was the cream of FCS for many, many years, and sold out Paulson (16-18K) regularly. Now, there is no problem finding good seats in Stateboro.

Montana is a different animal, partly b/c of its geographical location and the fact that it is the pre-eminent school in its state. I could see them easily regularly attracting over 30-40K if they expanded to such, even if they stayed in FCS with such an expansion. Liberty is also a different animal, given its fanbase. They have a highly structured plan to expand Williams stadium to 40K and move up to FCS in the next few years. Again, I can see this happening when you consider their overall fanbase.

I guess my point is this...the enthusiasm at schools like JMU is great for FCS. But shouldn't most FCS schools set their long-term sights at 25K-seat stadiums at the most. It's interesting that Richmond wins a national championship and then builds a new and incredibly beautiful facility with less seating capacity than their previous. A constantly jam-packed stadium is a better game-day atmosphere than one which is constantly one-half to two-thirds full. If JMU can constantly fill a 30K stadium in the future, my hat is off to them.

We shall find out. Keep in mind that the 40K number is still way down the road, and may never happen.

As it is now, we will not fill 25k. I can see crowds of 18,000-22,000, with capacity crowds on big weekends and if the team is good.

rufus
May 21st, 2010, 09:56 AM
We shall find out. Keep in mind that the 40K number is still way down the road, and may never happen.

As it is now, we will not fill 25k. I can see crowds of 18,000-22,000, with capacity crowds on big weekends and if the team is good.

I disagree. With a combination of a new stadium and a winning team, I can see us filling 25k seats regularly. Mickey Matthews was at Marshall when they built their new stadium, and he has often spoken about how the new facility changed the program. I think the new stadium will be a huge shot in the arm for the JMU program as well.

I guess my point is this...the enthusiasm at schools like JMU is great for FCS. But shouldn't most FCS schools set their long-term sights at 25K-seat stadiums at the most.

If the school plans to be in FCS for the long term, then yes, I would agree there's generally no reason to plan for capacity beyond 25k. It is clear that JMU does not see itself in FCS in the long run, and has planned its stadium expansion accordingly. We now have around 20,000 students with plans to grow to 25,000 by 2015. When I-A and I-AA split in 1978, JMU had fewer than 8,000 students. Small school football made sense. Today, the school is growing and the football program is growing with it.

jmufan999
May 21st, 2010, 12:14 PM
I disagree. With a combination of a new stadium and a winning team, I can see us filling 25k seats regularly. Mickey Matthews was at Marshall when they built their new stadium, and he has often spoken about how the new facility changed the program. I think the new stadium will be a huge shot in the arm for the JMU program as well.

If the school plans to be in FCS for the long term, then yes, I would agree there's generally no reason to plan for capacity beyond 25k. It is clear that JMU does not see itself in FCS in the long run, and has planned its stadium expansion accordingly. We now have around 20,000 students with plans to grow to 25,000 by 2015. When I-A and I-AA split in 1978, JMU had fewer than 8,000 students. Small school football made sense. Today, the school is growing and the football program is growing with it.

well put.

Longhorn
May 21st, 2010, 07:31 PM
It's interesting that Richmond wins a national championship and then builds a new and incredibly beautiful facility with less seating capacity than their previous. A constantly jam-packed stadium is a better game-day atmosphere than one which is constantly one-half to two-thirds full. If JMU can constantly fill a 30K stadium in the future, my hat is off to them.

Interesting RU decided to build a smaller stadium after winning the NC? I suppose, but it seems like common sense to me. Richmond is a private school with a small enrollment (much like Furman), with no plans to change the size of its student body. Building a new, on-campus stadium (a long sought goal) makes perfect sense for the Spider program. The new RU stadium "fits" them. Just as expanding the seating capacity at JMU's stadium is matter of common sense and "fits" JMU.

As a medium-sized public university with 100,000 living alums (70% who live within a 3 hour drive of JMU), a number that will grow to over 140,000 by 2020)...JMU already has the fanbase to fill a moderately sized FBS-type stadium. Coupled to a growing, (primarliy fulltime, residential undergraduate) student body of over 20k, JMU's decision to add 10,000 seats to an on-campus stadium that has been sold out for years, and whose current amenities do not meet the needs of it's users, is just a matter of responding to demand and an established need.

I agree with you that a stadium full of fans is better than a half-full venue, and winning will certainly sustain and build interest in any football program. Yet when you look at JMU's demographics, it's hard to see how JMU will not be able to flll a stadium of 25,000 (or more) even if the program is simply competitive.

DRDukes
May 22nd, 2010, 05:43 AM
I think that moving forward we will have continued success at filling Bridgeforth and the need for expansion will come sooner than some think. Consider that for a good chunk of our school's 100 years of existence we were a small women's teaching college... an alumni group that doesn't lend itself to being avid football fans. That started changing in the 70's, thanks to Pres. Carrier. I recently read that a majority of the living JMU Alumni have graduated in the last 12 years and live within 3 hours of Harrisonburg (as Longhorn mentioned above). That is a very young, relatively local fan base and one that has experienced a winning tradition for most of their time associated with JMU. Additionally, it is a group that is just starting to reach a point in their careers where they have more expendable income. When you consider those 3 factors (young alumni base that lives close and has expendable income) I think the stadium expansion is coming at an ideal time. Additionally, Harrisonburg is a community that is growing. While I am not arguing that it is a large city, the number of folks that are sticking around after graduation and others who have come to Harrisonburg because of the job opportunities that are available because of the University have allowed the city to grow into a medium sized community. That will also help fill a stadium on a regular basis. Regardless, I think JMU football has a bright future and that the full expansion could happen soon if these trends continue.

JMUNJ08
May 23rd, 2010, 08:57 AM
I can agree and disagree with many of the comments previously written. As a recent graduate, I would definitely be a season ticket holder if I didn't live/work 6 hours away. Recent grads (even the ones I meet from late 90's early 2000's) are still extremely interested in their alma mater and want to visit whenever they get a chance. The expansion happening all around campus is driving up funding and potential fans for a stadium that has been too small since 2005 and the regular sold out/3,000+ standing room crowds for games vs. App St. and Montana. The extra 10000 seats is much needed for homecoming/family weekend/graduation but can we sustain it with a few mediocre seasons or must we be ranked to fill it up?

The current interest is there but I could easily see us falling into the Marshall relm as well with a move up to FBS. Unlike Marshall, many people within that 3 hour radius of school attended 2 other MAJOR universities, UVA and VT. Our casual fan who would go to a JMU game would easily choose a UVA or VT game simply for their opponents/tradition/FBS ties. JMU would have to over take one of the schools in order to regularly get 45-50K at each game. Both those schools are just 1 hour (UVA) and 2 hours (VT) away. Would anyone bet that going to their alma mater in the Sun Belt for a match-up against Troy is a better deal than even bottom feeder UVA vs. UNC in the ACC? I already have a sample of fans who have chosen the later over JMU games vs. UR/W&M/Nova.

Just as recently in our NC year (my freshman year) I showed up to games in the middle of the 1st quarter and sat on the 40 yard line in the students section when everyone just came for the MRD's (16K students at the time). People emptied out the stadium after the halftime show and I would never understand why as I am just a huge football fan in general even if we were terrible. Times have changed and getting 18-22K is attainable but if we become a 4-7/5-6 every year at the FBS level (pretty good to start) instead of 9-2/8-3 and playoff bound FCS, would we ever get 30K in a 50K seat stadium?

JmuSkinsfan
May 23rd, 2010, 10:33 PM
For what it's worth ... I learned in one of my classes last semester that Harrisonburg is now considered a metropolitan area, by definition. Harrisonburg, according to the census, is responsible for servicing over 250,000 people. That includes parts of the valley outside of Harrisonburg, of course, but certainly goes to show that there is a lof of growth and potential for local fans emerging. Harrisonburg/JMU has really blown up over the last 5 years. Something is always being constructed. It really is insane.

I agree with all of the above comments. When I got to JMU in the fall of 2005 I think the undergraduate enrollment was around 16,000. I believe it is now just around 19,000 and plans for growth of up to 25,000 in the next few years are in place.

Also, for what it's worth, there are many JMU alumni who graduated in the 1980's and 1990's who were not around for much football success. As a result, they likely don't follow all things JMU like many of the current students / alumni do. The new stadium will bring back people who otherwise would not come and create buzz. Also, anyone who has been at JMU since 2004 is much more die-hard and likely to come back for games. YOu have a much larger, committed alumni base forming now compared to 5 years ago, but especially 10, 15 and 20 years ago.

rufus
June 7th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Updated pics...

http://picasaweb.google.com/hittiezm/bridgeforthstadium#5478921825110824018

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_LJQqTWWvEPg/TAzlZC06kjI/AAAAAAAACo4/DIcWUG3MdNo/s640/IMG_9266.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_LJQqTWWvEPg/TAzlaJaVHII/AAAAAAAACpM/EKEaREiKE8A/s640/IMG_9271.JPG

jmu_duke07
June 12th, 2010, 11:06 AM
http://boards.caazone.com/showthread.php?t=94426

Cool pic of what the stadium will look like in a year...

jmu_duke07
June 21st, 2010, 06:37 AM
http://picasaweb.google.com/hittiezm/BridgeforthStadiumPhase1#5484999916366821314

Phase 1 will be done in approx 40 days

whitey
June 21st, 2010, 08:05 AM
Picture 297 is awesome. You have to visualize the bottom few rows of seats but it really shows how close the fans will be to the field.

rufus
June 21st, 2010, 09:53 AM
http://picasaweb.google.com/hittiezm/BridgeforthStadiumPhase1#5484999916366821314

Phase 1 will be done in approx 40 days

Just to be clear, it's really just the first half of phase 1 that will be complete this summer.

Phase 1 - West grandstands (2 decks), north endzone (1 deck)
Phase 2 - East grandstands (2 decks)
Phase 3 - North endzone second deck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxibToE1S7A

wr70beh
June 21st, 2010, 09:55 AM
Are you going to be able to host playoff games this year if you make it? I knew that was going to be a problem last year if you made it that far.

LeadBolt
June 21st, 2010, 10:02 AM
Interesting RU decided to build a smaller stadium after winning the NC? I suppose, but it seems like common sense to me. Richmond is a private school with a small enrollment (much like Furman), with no plans to change the size of its student body. Building a new, on-campus stadium (a long sought goal) makes perfect sense for the Spider program. The new RU stadium "fits" them. Just as expanding the seating capacity at JMU's stadium is matter of common sense and "fits" JMU.

As a medium-sized public university with 100,000 living alums (70% who live within a 3 hour drive of JMU), a number that will grow to over 140,000 by 2020)...JMU already has the fanbase to fill a moderately sized FBS-type stadium. Coupled to a growing, (primarliy fulltime, residential undergraduate) student body of over 20k, JMU's decision to add 10,000 seats to an on-campus stadium that has been sold out for years, and whose current amenities do not meet the needs of it's users, is just a matter of responding to demand and an established need.

I agree with you that a stadium full of fans is better than a half-full venue, and winning will certainly sustain and build interest in any football program. Yet when you look at JMU's demographics, it's hard to see how JMU will not be able to flll a stadium of 25,000 (or more) even if the program is simply competitive.

Great analysis! Both are quality programs with differing demographics, which they have each taken into account and are serving. xsmileyclapx

rufus
June 21st, 2010, 10:39 AM
Are you going to be able to host playoff games this year if you make it? I knew that was going to be a problem last year if you made it that far.

This year we have arrangements in place with UVa and VMI to use their stadiums for playoff games. VMI's stadium only seats 10k, so it's going to be tough to place a winning bid with that capacity. We obviously won't have that problem at UVa, but a Thanksgiving weekend crowd would look awfully small in a 66k stadium.

I guess it's still better than playing on the road.

jmufan999
June 21st, 2010, 10:50 AM
VMI's stadium only seats 10k, so it's going to be tough to place a winning bid with that capacity.

we can probably kiss any chance of a "home" playoff game goodbye in 2010. i think the committee will find it much less of a headache/PR nightmare if they just let us play on the road. why the PR nightmare, you ask? if we get a "home" playoff game against, say, Elon.... Phoenix fans are going to go nuts: "they don't even have a stadium at their place, how can we NOT be hosting"? i could sympathize with that argument. i don't think they (or anyone else) have anything to worry about, i doubt that situation would arise. plus, we have to MAKE the playoffs first.

Longhorn
June 27th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I wonder how sales are progressing for the 1000+ club seats. I know alot of JMU regulars are discussing the costs and benefits over on CAAzone. The link is to a promo video for the club seats...they should be gorgeous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bl03lDXHKw

Also a direct link to the construction cam. Things are moving along nicely, but they better be as the season is just 2.5 months away!

http://www.jmu.edu/jmuweb/cmpa/bfwebcam/bfwebcam.jpg

JMUNJ08
July 13th, 2010, 10:23 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/hittiezm/BridgeforthStadiumPhase1#5493195758632592962

Its been a little while so here are some photos from the CAA Zone on the progress of the stadium. Definitely can't wait to see it!

rufus
July 14th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Before someone asks, yes, those are temporary bleachers in the bottom section. Those will be used for the 2010 season and then removed after the season to allow construction of the upper deck. The north end zone seating will also be constructed after the 2010 season.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_LJQqTWWvEPg/TDvAWHwOOEI/AAAAAAAADSQ/BlsLlpXBjKg/s912/IMG_0294.JPG

th0m
January 10th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Just a little update since it's been a while since there's been an update on this on these forums as far as I saw. Everything is well underway for the upper deck and pressbox for the expansion. All credit for the pictures go to CAAZone.com board member Deez Nuts who regularly updates his picasa account with great updates

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_LJQqTWWvEPg/TSodHeQolyI/AAAAAAAAEOs/LFQQWqaoCiI/s912/IMG_2387.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_LJQqTWWvEPg/TSodI7QEG-I/AAAAAAAAEOw/OL0325dc7gE/s912/IMG_2388.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_LJQqTWWvEPg/TSodPlde1XI/AAAAAAAAEPA/-XVNvFsNQ7k/s912/IMG_2392.JPG

More pics in his album here: http://picasaweb.google.com/hittiezm/BridgeforthStadiumPhase2Album1#5560288684734999906

And here's a webcam: http://134.126.89.164/

R3TRO
January 10th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Looks pretty awesome.

Sly Fox
January 11th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I know the JMU folks have to be giddy at watching this go up. It is exactly how we felt watching our construction this time last year.

th0m
January 11th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Indeed we are. I saw some pics of your finished place recently, looked really nice!

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 12th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I know the JMU folks have to be giddy at watching this go up. It is exactly how we felt watching our construction this time last year.

I wish I knew that feeling

Reign of Terrier
January 12th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I'd like to see some pics

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 12th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I'd like to see some pics

page 11 on this thread has a couple new ones

DFW HOYA
January 12th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I wish I knew that feeling

+ 6 years...

th0m
January 19th, 2011, 04:14 PM
An update from JMUSports.com: http://www.jmusports.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?SPSID=62364&SPID=6828&PALBID=385935&DB_OEM_ID=14400

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/KD/KDHBUSIUIHBCDRN.20110118211416.jpg

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/JO/JOTMTCPOULERBVX.20110118210841.jpg

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/LP/LPYMYOJCKTXSUQW.20110118210657.jpg

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/GZ/GZMPGUEPHAXLYNL.20110118211158.jpg

HailSzczur
January 19th, 2011, 07:32 PM
All i can say is wow. thats going to be unbelievable once its done. Ive only ever been down for a game once, and that was the 2008 quaterfinal when you guys beat us and i was impressed then. The renderings i saw at the time did no justice to these pictures

magnolialeague
January 19th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Wait till they install the retractable dome.

th0m
January 20th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Keep in mind that once the upper deck and pressbox is done they will construct the lower portion of the stadium (that space where the crane currently operates) and they will bowl in the endzone. Plus, we'll get a new scoreboard over the Athletic Performance Center

bluehenbillk
January 20th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Very nice, it'll be a lot of empty seats to see a team in serious decline, but the stadium is impressive.

th0m
January 20th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Sheez why don't you go ahead and lose your 19 point lead in the Smack section.

grayghost06
January 20th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Very nice, it'll be a lot of empty seats to see a team in serious decline, but the stadium is impressive.

You mean like UD in 2005-06 & 2008-09?

VBR_Productions
January 20th, 2011, 10:13 AM
The pictures look good so far!

Dignan
January 20th, 2011, 04:27 PM

I honestly can't remember what a bunch of empty seats look like. Could you send me some pictures of Delaware stadium from the playoffs to remind me? K thx

JMUDuke2002
February 15th, 2011, 10:20 AM
This hasn't been updated in a while, so I thought why not. These are the latest images of stadium courtesy of JMU's athletics website. Things are progressing nicely. Endzone construction has yet to start, but the footers for the new scoreboard are being poured. Enjoy.

http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14400&ATCLID=205036937

One of my favorites is pic 16 for Feb 14. Puts a nice perspective on the size of it.

Mr. C
February 15th, 2011, 11:36 PM
I drove by the stadium on Saturday morning. The new deck on the opposite side from the old press box is looking incredible. Should be exciting to see the finished product.

jmufan999
February 16th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Sheez why don't you go ahead and lose your 19 point lead in the Smack section.

hahaha.... also known as the most satisfying game i've ever watched on tv. i don't even smoke and i needed a cigarette after that one. what a major choke job.

th0m
February 25th, 2011, 04:18 PM
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/IH/IHKEQNBPFTOJEFU.20110225201724.jpg

Nice contrast

T-Dog
February 25th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Yeah the only logical thing to do now is make the other side look exactly the same and possibly bowl it in.

Top Dawg
February 26th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Yeah the only logical thing to do now is make the other side look exactly the same and possibly bowl it in.

The lower deck will be bowled in this year. They have to get the crane out first before they can do the ten or so rows closest to the field and the end zone.

th0m
February 27th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Yes what's missing from that shot is the lowest couple of rows and the end zone.

You can see how it will look like:
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics24/1024/IG/IGHQHFFILKNKFKD.20090528195205.jpg

jmufan999
February 27th, 2011, 12:44 PM
you know Th0m, i've had that rendering as my desktop picture on and off since the renderings were released.... and i just noticed: the band section appears to be closer to the endzone than the other sections. and also, there is little/no room after the endzone. i wonder if that's accurate to what will actually happen.

th0m
February 27th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I hadn't noticed this before. But if you compare it to the new seating diagram, it is accurate, as far as being closer than the rest of the endzone:

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/800/UW/UWZJKGUZZWFJVDB.20110119221239.gif

Skjellyfetti
February 27th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Are there any plans to expand the other side? Seems like it's gonna look out of proportion.

JMUNJ08
February 27th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Are there any plans to expand the other side? Seems like it's gonna look out of proportion.

$$$$ and fannies in the seats will let us know when/if to upgrade the student side. Until then we will just have to 'make due' with 25K...

TheBisonator
February 28th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I wish NDSU could do something like this built around the Dacotah Field practice field...

jmufan999
February 28th, 2011, 10:58 PM

yes, it's in the master plan. see pages 30-31. and yes, it will look very out of proportion until then. luckily, the interstate traffic will only notice the big side.

http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/JMUI/jmu_master_plan/2009072701/#30

bluehenbillk
March 1st, 2011, 07:39 AM

Don't tell any Youngstown State fans that...xwhistlex

Uncle Buck
March 1st, 2011, 03:27 PM
The place looks sick and if/when the other side gets expanded, it's be sweet as hell but i would expect JMU to be FBS at that point.

th0m
March 2nd, 2011, 05:02 AM
Yes I doubt the other side (the upper deck at least) will get built unless we make the jump. Although just rebuilding the lower deck will already give the place a much more wholesome look, but still cost quite a bit of $$ without adding too many seats so I don't really see that happening whilst in FCS in the near future.

JMUDuke2002
March 8th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Latest pics, posted by someone at the CAAZone.

http://boards.caazone.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=721&d=1299561521

http://boards.caazone.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=723&d=1299561890

mad_dog97
March 15th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Some new pics at night from Deez Nuts - a star poster on CAAZONE

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_LJQqTWWvEPg/TX7HcHsaIoI/AAAAAAAAFNg/4Kw0da_esGA/s640/IMG_3362.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_LJQqTWWvEPg/TX7Hcxv35jI/AAAAAAAAFNk/wJbj-Vx2q9k/s640/IMG_3364.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_LJQqTWWvEPg/TX7Hd5fQFpI/AAAAAAAAFNo/kNJVlPjvRso/s640/IMG_3367.JPG

JMUDuke2002
March 22nd, 2011, 01:26 PM
Scoreboard supports going in.

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/XF/XFIRIMNZTZMDUII.20110322132813.JPG

View from the library

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/UM/UMHLJFCPJMFEAOZ.20110321194211.JPG

th0m
March 22nd, 2011, 05:11 PM
Here are two more, they give a nice sense of the addition and the scoreboard:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_JWWv8AGB3ug/TYjVyRKGzVI/AAAAAAAAE5E/hhOOpml5XZ4/s640/IMG_20110322_125010.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_JWWv8AGB3ug/TYjXCIF4MpI/AAAAAAAAE5I/ozcx1WZmttI/s640/IMG_20110322_124552.jpg

R3TRO
March 22nd, 2011, 05:34 PM
Can't wait to see the finished product.

jmufan999
March 28th, 2011, 08:30 PM
construction video

http://bit.ly/eUd6og

TheBisonator
March 29th, 2011, 05:02 AM
This is a really good stadium project for me as an NDSU fan to follow, because first off, Bridgeforth Stadium before the renovation reminded me soooo much of old Dacotah Field at NDSU (in its prime, not the dilapidated version), and secondly, because of my personal liking to the design of the new grandstands being built, I can see how something like what is going on right now at Bridgeforth could be put along both sidelines of the existing Dacotah Field practice field and create a 25,000-seat new outdoor stadium of some kind for NDSU. What I'm really saying is that the current grandstand you're building at JMU (minus the endzone seating) would look GREAT if cloned into two and put on both sides of the current Dacotah Field.

bluehenbillk
March 29th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Looks good, sorry to say doesn't look like the Hens will be playong down there until 2013. At least all the kinks would be worked out by then....

App-a-latch-un
March 29th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Looks mighty fine

jmufan999
March 29th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Sorry there's no sound. Or maybe it's just not working on my computer.

Bisonator, you'd prefer an outdoor stadium? I love football outdoors (beautiful weather is my favorite, snowing is #2), but having a dome has serious advantages (as you know). Noise being the first one that comes to mind...

TheBisonator
March 30th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Sorry there's no sound. Or maybe it's just not working on my computer.

Bisonator, you'd prefer an outdoor stadium? I love football outdoors (beautiful weather is my favorite, snowing is #2), but having a dome has serious advantages (as you know). Noise being the first one that comes to mind...

Unfortunately the kind of crowd that a roof brings into football games is different than an outdoor field. I'm talking about 60 year-old ladies who knit and read books during games. And I went to school at NDSU for 6 years, went to 6 years of home games, and I saw EXACTLY THAT. (What 60 year-old lady would want to attend a college football game unless she's the mother of one of the players??) I know a lot of big-money donors are old folks who prefer the comfort of the Fargodome, but there are some weird-looking characters who look like they shouldn't be there, people who beeotch when someone else around then starts standing up and being loud during crucial 3rd downs, and don't forget the Fargodome Gestapo (security). They don't like people cheering, and they'll drop the hammer. Remember, the Dome's security is not employed by NDSU. If we were at a new Dacotah Field, our security would be NDSU employed, like at the basketball games.

The environment in the Dome is a good one when the team is winning, I will say that. 2009 and parts of 2008 and 2010 were BAD for the atmosphere. A Dome brings in the pussy fan crowd. An outdoor stadium brings in the fan crowd who likes to drink, tailgate and GET LOUD. Unfortunately, the FargoDome has brought in a lot of yuppies and elderly people to the games, and that brings the whole experience down.

JMUDuke2002
April 25th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Latest pic. Lots of purple.

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/AL/ALCMOTOEUAOFLDU.20110425191914.JPG

GannonFan
April 25th, 2011, 03:48 PM
How much does that home side hold again (the one that is two-tiered)? Thanks.

Sly Fox
April 25th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Not going to lie ... that looks sweeter by the day. Glad we get to play in it from time to time.

JMUDuke2002
April 26th, 2011, 07:58 AM

New Home side (with upperdeck) - ~ 15,800
New endzone - ~ 5,100

Old side (student) - ~ 5,100

Total Capacity - ~ 26,000

If the student side ever gets done, it will be the exact same (as the admin has stated) as the new homestands. This would be a long ways off and would presumably mean JMU is in FBS (and being somewhat successful) because it would have a capacity somewhere between 40K and 45K (depending on how much the endzone upperdeck would hold).

ur2k
April 26th, 2011, 08:36 AM
That purple is ugly xwhistlex

Serious question for the JMU fans (yes, coming from a UR fan - not looking to flame here) - what are your realistic expectations for attendance in the next few years? Do you think you come close to sell outs every game or just for the big ones (HC, family weekend, etc)?

JMUDuke2002
April 26th, 2011, 08:47 AM
That purple is ugly xwhistlex

Serious question for the JMU fans (yes, coming from a UR fan - not looking to flame here) - what are your realistic expectations for attendance in the next few years? Do you think you come close to sell outs every game or just for the big ones (HC, family weekend, etc)?

From what I have heard and been told, the admin expects a handful of possible sellouts (Parents weekend, HC, opening of stadium) but otherwise realistically expects to sell around 75% capacity and grow into the larger digs. So, assuming between 25K and 26K capacity, I'd expect between 18,750 to 19,500 average attendance. But, who knows. If the team manages to fix the offensive woes of the past two seasons (a victory over UNC would help also - not expecting it) and realistic title contender, I think the crowds would be larger. Just depends. The novelity of the new stadium will wear off pretty fast if the team bombs.

Unfortunately, the home schedule sucks this year. Only 5 home games. Yeah, UR is coming to town but no UD, WM, ODU or Liberty -- all who travel well. The other home games besides UR are Maine (never travels), URI (never travels), Central Connecticut (home opener), and Nova (maybe some excitement if they leave for the BE also parents weekend). UR is homecoming, so that will be close to sellout, and Nova is parents weekend, also close to sellout. I can't see a full stadium for Maine or URI. I'd prefer if the home opener were a better FCS team. But, we'll see. You never know.

GannonFan
April 26th, 2011, 10:08 AM
From what I have heard and been told, the admin expects a handful of possible sellouts (Parents weekend, HC, opening of stadium) but otherwise realistically expects to sell around 75% capacity and grow into the larger digs. So, assuming between 25K and 26K capacity, I'd expect between 18,750 to 19,500 average attendance. But, who knows. If the team manages to fix the offensive woes of the past two seasons (a victory over UNC would help also - not expecting it) and realistic title contender, I think the crowds would be larger. Just depends. The novelity of the new stadium will wear off pretty fast if the team bombs.

Unfortunately, the home schedule sucks this year. Only 5 home games. Yeah, UR is coming to town but no UD, WM, ODU or Liberty -- all who travel well. The other home games besides UR are Maine (never travels), URI (never travels), Central Connecticut (home opener), and Nova (maybe some excitement if they leave for the BE also parents weekend). UR is homecoming, so that will be close to sellout, and Nova is parents weekend, also close to sellout. I can't see a full stadium for Maine or URI. I'd prefer if the home opener were a better FCS team. But, we'll see. You never know.

The advantage of a 5 home game schedule is that you're likely to see an uptick in per game attendance. Only so many games to be able to go to.

GannonFan
April 26th, 2011, 10:08 AM
New Home side (with upperdeck) - ~ 15,800
New endzone - ~ 5,100

Old side (student) - ~ 5,100

Total Capacity - ~ 26,000

If the student side ever gets done, it will be the exact same (as the admin has stated) as the new homestands. This would be a long ways off and would presumably mean JMU is in FBS (and being somewhat successful) because it would have a capacity somewhere between 40K and 45K (depending on how much the endzone upperdeck would hold).

Thanks.

JMUDuke2002
April 26th, 2011, 03:59 PM
The advantage of a 5 home game schedule is that you're likely to see an uptick in per game attendance. Only so many games to be able to go to.

True, but last year would have been a better year in my opinion with the schedule we had. Granted, the season didn't end well but coming off a victory at Tech then playing Liberty, UD, UNH, Umass and WM at home would have made for record attendance, imho. Actually, it was supposed to be finished last season, but got pushed back another year. It's a shame really.

Longhorn
April 29th, 2011, 07:22 AM
"Shame"? Attendance will be fine this year. And the stadium will still be there next year, and the year after. '02 I appreciate your updates on the Bridgeforth project for the AGS crowd, but your take on projected attendance and home schedules is skewed unnecessarily towards the negative. Perhaps if you actually lived in Harrisonburg, not Harrisburg, you'd have a better feel for the excitement this new stadium is building around town. Attendance may surprise people (like you), but the so-called novelty of this stadium will not wear off quickly.

JMUDuke2002
April 29th, 2011, 08:51 AM
"Shame"? Attendance will be fine this year. And the stadium will still be there next year, and the year after. '02 I appreciate your updates on the Bridgeforth project for the AGS crowd, but your take on projected attendance and home schedules is skewed unnecessarily towards the negative. Perhaps if you actually lived in Harrisonburg, not Harrisburg, you'd have a better feel for the excitement this new stadium is building around town. Attendance may surprise people (like you), but the so-called novelty of this stadium will not wear off quickly.

You're a riot sometimes. Funny how your took my one comment of "shame" way out of proportion. Shame was in reference to the stadium being pushed back a year. It would have been nice to have it open last year.

I also haven't said anything that Jeff Bourne or any other admin hasn't stated. They hope for three sellouts (Opening, HC & Parent's Weekend). They've pretty much ensured an opening day sellout because they were/are giving out an extra ticket to season ticket holders who committed before a certain date.

And, last years schedule was more conducive for sellouts because of the teams and the fanbases involved. If every game sells out, it would be wonderful. I'm just being a realist.

jmufan999
April 29th, 2011, 11:17 AM
You're a riot sometimes. Funny how your took my one comment of "shame" way out of proportion. Shame was in reference to the stadium being pushed back a year.

Totally with you, don't know where that came from. I thought what you said was a great point.

Longhorn
May 2nd, 2011, 05:18 PM

What I'm I'm responding too is your bad math. 3 home sell outs at 25k x 3 = 75k. That leaves two non-sell-outs. For arguments sake, lets say those games average 15k each (well below the avg. attendance from last year, but I want to be conservative) for a total of 30k. So, 5 games, total attendance of 105k, divided by 5 = 21k. Not your projection of 18.75-19.5. Both of our numbers are guesses, but I think yours are off.

Longhorn
May 2nd, 2011, 05:20 PM

It has 3.5 tiers...or 4, if you count the small 300 level as it's own tier.

th0m
May 2nd, 2011, 06:12 PM
According to CAAzone.com posts:

Stadium Capacity: + 25,000
-Lower Bowl=12,239 (Lower deck 7,000, End zone 5,000)
-Upper Deck= 7,000-8,000
-East Stands=5,157

So the 2-deck structure is about 14-15k.

And it currently looks like this:
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/VT/VTFZWDIUEFPWTVV.20110502200500.JPG

http://www.jmusports.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?SPSID=62364&SPID=6828&PALBID=400281&DB_OEM_ID=14400

rufus
May 3rd, 2011, 06:47 AM
I was about to post that picture. It's a good view of the lower seating area that is being built now. I can't wait to see the lower tier wrap around the endzone this summer.

To give some perspective, that picture was taken from the roof of an 11 floor building.

jmufan999
May 10th, 2011, 10:08 AM
newest photos of the Purple People Seater

http://www.jmusports.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?SPSID=62364&SPID=6828&PALBID=400384&DB_OEM_ID=14400

UNHFan
May 11th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Here is the problem with these stadiums... know one gets to see them. When will one of these schools learn... what ever it takes to put the game camera's on the small side of the stadium DO IT!!!! People turn on an FCS Game and looks like High School.. when some of these stadiums are as beautiful as this New JMU Masterpiece. I had friends over to Watch UNH Delaware Playoff game they laughed until one of the rare angle shots showed about 15K at the game. When David Ball broke Rice Record 17K at the game. Film of the game? Looks like a low level Southern High School game. Drives me nuts! And what place to show off .. this new JMU Stadium. People will turn the dial even for a sell out and think... small time! Not watching this...Unless they catch a rare camera shot of the large side. Not meant to start rants here, this is a fact not opinion... I have been watching FCS football for over 30 years. Holy Cross games always looked great on ESPN in the late 80's due to the almost even design of the stadium... and also ESPN putting a 50 yard line camera on the smaller side. I hope JMU does this... what a great stadium to show the growth of FCS

mad_dog97
May 11th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Updated Pics from CAAZone Poster Deez_Nuts

Seating/Press Box
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_LJQqTWWvEPg/Tcqk4CFW3KI/AAAAAAAAGVw/g6bIoftRGZ0/s640/IMG_4088.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_LJQqTWWvEPg/Tcqk_HydrYI/AAAAAAAAGW8/QAReD5hmsIA/s640/IMG_4106.JPG

Image of Video Board going in . . it's a Monster!
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_LJQqTWWvEPg/TcqlB2XgY0I/AAAAAAAAGXc/AvpKPyaIO8U/s640/IMG_4114.JPG

th0m
May 11th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Video section finished:

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/228766_10150238133441422_307081641421_8953163_6084 85_n.jp

Waco Kid
May 11th, 2011, 04:11 PM
That's going to be an impressive stadium for the Dukes. Will the endzone seats be ready by this season or will that wait until next year?

I must say that Bridgeforth will be a better stadium than KBS once the other side is finished.

mad_dog97
May 11th, 2011, 04:34 PM
That's going to be an impressive stadium for the Dukes. Will the endzone seats be ready by this season or will that wait until next year?

I must say that Bridgeforth will be a better stadium than KBS once the other side is finished.

Endzone seating will be done this year and will connect to the newly constructed section.

TheBisonator
May 11th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Endzone seating will be done this year and will connect to the newly constructed section.

It's already my favorite FCS stadium (after the Fargodome, of course).

I think the design of the home-sideline grandstand was done JUST RIGHT. Architecturally, it shows class and dignity, but it's also intimidating and business-like. There must have been some really smart people that designed this project.

rufus
May 11th, 2011, 08:20 PM
It's already my favorite FCS stadium (after the Fargodome, of course).

I think the design of the home-sideline grandstand was done JUST RIGHT. Architecturally, it shows class and dignity, but it's also intimidating and business-like. There must have been some really smart people that designed this project.

The new stadium was co-designed by HKS and regional firm Moseley Architects. Based on your comment, I almost have to think that you work for one of those firms. :D

Also, that's the first picture I've seen of the full video screen. Looks awesome.

TheBisonator
May 11th, 2011, 08:24 PM
The new stadium was co-designed by HKS and regional firm Moseley Architects. Based on your comment, I almost have to think that you work for one of those firms. :D

Also, that's the first picture I've seen of the full video screen. Looks awesome.

No, I don't work there. I used to be an architecture student, but switched to fine arts, got my BFA in '10 and am now training for the animation industry.

But stadium design has always been my big passion (next to cartoons).

Longhorn
May 12th, 2011, 12:56 AM

Your entitled to your opinion, but honestly, KBS looks like a High School stadium with a track, and the new Bridgeforth looks and feels like an FBS facility. It won't need the other side "finished" to put KBS to shame.

WUTNDITWAA
May 12th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Your entitled to your opinion, but honestly, KBS looks like a High School stadium with a track, and the new Bridgeforth looks and feels like an FBS facility. It won't need the other side "finished" to put KBS to shame.

Was that necessary? Most high school stadiums have two things in common: a track and a side behind the home bench that dwarfs the one behind the visitor's bench. Looks like we're at an impass.

JMU2004
May 12th, 2011, 08:40 AM

KBS is an awesome facility. No need to say otherwise.

Waco Kid
May 12th, 2011, 09:45 AM
So I complimented someone else's stadium and now you're going to talk smack to me? Big talk from a guy calling himself Longhorn on an FCS site. Where did you really go to school? I'm betting it wasn't Texas and it probably has a terrible stadium. Ask anyone who has been to KBS the past 3 years and I'm sure you'll hear nothing but positive remarks.

JmuSkinsfan
May 12th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I think KBS is a beautiful stadium. I've been there a few times for games and I have no complaints, especially now that your visitors side is complete. That being said, I think Longhorn's response was to "when the other side of the stadium is done" that it would be better than KBS ... and I think a lot of JMU fans think it will be better than KBS without the visitors side being upgraded. The endzone seating will almost bowl out the stadium so it won't look teribly lopsided. Sure, the old side is not the most aesthetically pleasing, but I don't think it'll be as much of an eyesore as some people indicate. With the right paint job it can be made to look presentable enough to make it all look okay until it is knocked down and reconstructe (who knows how long that will be).

Right now you have a stadium that is 2/3 aluminum structure and 1/3 concrete .. it isn't going to look like a perfect match, but then again this is what happens in a "phased rebuild" ... and even though the plan is in place to do the same thing to the old side, the money isn't in place, and unless JMU goes FBS in the next 12 months, I don't see it happening before the new $87 million convocation arena is built (4-6 years).

JmuSkinsfan
May 12th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Also, Longhorn has a reputation for coming to a quick defense of JMU. It happens over on the CAAzone as well. I wouldn't take his comments to heart too much (sorry Longhorn). You did go to Texas right? Now you teach at JMU? So his username is justified.

rufus
May 12th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I believe Longhorn did go to Texas. He is a JMU faculty member. I would say that Texas has a pretty decent stadium.

jmufan999
May 12th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I think KBS is a beautiful stadium. I've been there a few times for games and I have no complaints, especially now that your visitors side is complete. That being said, I think Longhorn's response was to "when the other side of the stadium is done" that it would be better than KBS ... and I think a lot of JMU fans think it will be better than KBS without the visitors side being upgraded.

this is what i was feeling, too. i have also been to KBS. and i don't mean these thoughts as anything offensive, Waco Kid. but i did have a reply similar to Longhorn's (not the same, but the same kind of idea) but i decided to delete it and just "let it go". what you said was complimentary, you're right... but it came across as a backhanded compliment. and i am in the camp that believes it will be better than KBS starting this year. again, just my opinion. there really is no factual answer to this question.

many (i won't say "most" but maybe that's the case) JMU fans think it will be the top FCS stadium beginning this year... i'm not ready to go there yet. i still would put Montana's at the top, it's beautiful.

Mountaineer
May 12th, 2011, 02:57 PM
As far as setting and the athletic complex behind the west stands, KBS is most definitely one of the best.

However, as far as the actual stadium where people are going to be sitting, the new Bridgeforth blows KBS out of the water.

The new stands look like something you'd see at a BCS stadium. Bowled in seating. Plus that new scoreboard, phew. xbowx

Don't get me wrong, I love The Rock, but the track and the east side addition (done on the cheap) don't come anywhere close to what the Dukes are doing. I think the folks at ASU really screwed the pooch in capitalizing on recent success. I would've much rather seen a plan that removed the track, rebuilt the stands, etc. even if the process took longer.

Waco Kid
May 13th, 2011, 09:47 AM
this is what i was feeling, too. i have also been to KBS. and i don't mean these thoughts as anything offensive, Waco Kid. but i did have a reply similar to Longhorn's (not the same, but the same kind of idea) but i decided to delete it and just "let it go". what you said was complimentary, you're right... but it came across as a backhanded compliment. and i am in the camp that believes it will be better than KBS starting this year. again, just my opinion. there really is no factual answer to this question.

many (i won't say "most" but maybe that's the case) JMU fans think it will be the top FCS stadium beginning this year... i'm not ready to go there yet. i still would put Montana's at the top, it's beautiful.

I think it will be pretty much equal now and then better once completed. I don't really see how me saying your stadium will be better than ours once finished could be taken as some backhanded comment. Most people would agree that KBS is one of the top 2 or 3 stadiums in FCS so I think an App fan saying your place is going to better is a pretty nice compliment.

One question though, have you been to KBS since everything was finished? The last time JMU played at KBS was 2007 which was before any of the new additions were built. The stadium has a completely different look and feel to it inside and out.

rufus
May 13th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I think it will be pretty much equal now and then better once completed. I don't really see how me saying your stadium will be better than ours once finished could be taken as some backhanded comment.

I like App State, its setting, its fans, and its facilities. App State clearly has JMU beat in the area of attendance and indoor practice facilities. But when it comes to stadiums, I think Bridgeforth will surpass Kidd-Brewer when the first phase of expansion is completed this summer. There are things I dislike about both stadiums:

Kidd-Brewer:
- Track/Distance between stands and field
- Incline (or lack there of) on the lower portion of the large side
- Lack of endzone seating (although I do kind of enjoy stadiums with hillside seating)
- Doesn't feel closed in (seems more like a set of structures surrounding a field than a cohesive stadium)
- Asymmetrical endzone facility that looks like it was built in two phases (like an obvious addition to a house)
- Seems to have very limited chairback seating outside of suites

Bridgeforth:
- Significant disparity in size between old and new side
- Seems to have fewer suites than KBS (maybe?)
- Immediate surroundings not as scenic as KBS

Looking at my dislikes, I think Bridgeforth gets my vote for now, but both stadiums are definitely in my top 5 in FCS.

jmufan999
May 13th, 2011, 01:33 PM
I don't really see how me saying your stadium will be better than ours once finished could be taken as some backhanded comment.

it was taken that way (obviously by several of us) because when the other side is complete, it won't even be in the same ballpark. not even close. we will be pushing 40K+ at that point with a double deck on both sides, an enclosed endzone, and no track surrounding the field. your belief that only then will it be better was kind of a no-brainer. some of us feel it will be better starting this fall. we can agree to disagree... i'm certainly not upset at your comment in the least and i hope you're not upset at mine; these are just opinions.

and i haven't been to KBS since the playoff game in '07 but i've seen the pictures... but really pictures are all you have to go on as well since ours isn't even completed yet.

Waco Kid
May 13th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I like App State, its setting, its fans, and its facilities. App State clearly has JMU beat in the area of attendance and indoor practice facilities. But when it comes to stadiums, I think Bridgeforth will surpass Kidd-Brewer when the first phase of expansion is completed this summer. There are things I dislike about both stadiums:

Kidd-Brewer:
- Lack of endzone seating (although I do kind of enjoy stadiums with hillside seating)
- Doesn't feel closed in (seems more like a set of structures surrounding a field than a cohesive stadium)
- Asymmetrical endzone facility that looks like it was built in two phases (like an obvious addition to a house)

Bridgeforth:

Looking at my dislikes, I think Bridgeforth gets my vote for now, but both stadiums are definitely in my top 5 in FCS.

This is for rufus and jmufan999:

Trust me I dislike some of the same items you pointed out, but some of these things are changing. We are adding endzone seats in front of the field house this season so it should help to enclose the stadium along with covering up the odd looking build. The track is an eyesore to most including the admin which is why they have been looking at areas to relocate. Flat land is hard to find in Boone so its not something we can change as quickly as we'd like.

As for dislike's about Bridgeforth I would add distance from the field for the old side that remains. It is even further away than our stands plus it will look pretty small across the field from the new stands. When the entire project is finished JMU will have an extremely nice stadium. What is the time table for the 40K to be finished? I'd imagine there isn't a need for that until you have been FBS (just a matter of time before JMU & ASU move up) for a few years. Either way I wish our schools would play each other again so I could see the improved stadium and you could visit the improved KBS. Pictures can't do either stadium justice.

SkinsWizDukes
May 15th, 2011, 08:49 AM
JMU's massive new videoboard

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/XP/XPISPRGWLILCBAW.20110513184530.JPG

JoshUCA
May 15th, 2011, 01:09 PM
JMU's massive new videoboard

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/XP/XPISPRGWLILCBAW.20110513184530.JPG

Maybe it is just a bad camera angle, but will the people who sit on the top end of the stadium be able to see the video board?

th0m
May 15th, 2011, 03:43 PM
No.

Accelerati Incredibilus
May 15th, 2011, 04:29 PM

Kidd-Brewer:

Bridgeforth:

From the first time I saw the drawings my concern is will those sitting on the top rows near the pressbox be able to see the entire field?

Accelerati Incredibilus
May 15th, 2011, 04:50 PM
As far as setting and the athletic complex behind the west stands, KBS is most definitely one of the best.

However, as far as the actual stadium where people are going to be sitting, the new Bridgeforth blows KBS out of the water.

The new stands look like something you'd see at a BCS stadium. Bowled in seating. Plus that new scoreboard, phew. xbowx

Don't get me wrong, I love The Rock, but the track and the east side addition (done on the cheap) don't come anywhere close to what the Dukes are doing. I think the folks at ASU really screwed the pooch in capitalizing on recent success. I would've much rather seen a plan that removed the track, rebuilt the stands, etc. even if the process took longer.

I totally agree. When ASU announced the expansion of KBS and the new athletic facility I wrote Chancellor Peacock and AD Charlie Cobb imploring them to pause, take a deep breath and really think about what they were going to do. IMO, the removal of the track should have been the number one priority. With it out of the way KBS would have been a vastly improved facility over what we have now. Since we were getting rid of the old pressbox my suggestion was to tear down the entire west stands and start from scratch. A good friend sells heavy equipment to the demolition industry and his opinion was the west stands and pressbox could have been dismantled and hauled away in 30 days. Shifting the field towards the west stands and taking out the lower east seating would have opened up a lot of room for more seats on the east side. Had the project been started immediately after football season new seating sections could easily have been been finished prior to the next season. As was the case with the athletics center, a new press box and suites could have been ready by the following year. Owens Field House could have been expanded and enlarged to three stories towards the field with seating in front and incorporate into the east & west sides. The old section of Owens could then have been remodeled. Had the people at ASU not been so anxious to get something built, ASU could have had a killer facility few could rival.

th0m
May 15th, 2011, 05:13 PM
From the first time I saw the drawings my concern is will those sitting on the top rows near the pressbox be able to see the entire field?

Yes they will. The scaffolding makes it hard to see, but the pressbox is built outward at an angle, so there are no obstructed views even if you sit near the pressbox.

Accelerati Incredibilus
May 15th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Saw that too, but a lot of oops! have come into play with facilities before. Hope the architect got it right.

th0m
May 16th, 2011, 02:04 AM
So far, it seems like the facility has been extremely well thought out, but yeah we'll see once its finished.

JMU2004
May 16th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Video that offers some perspective on the size of this thing.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP77r7nn6Fs

jmufan999
May 16th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Maybe it is just a bad camera angle, but will the people who sit on the top end of the stadium be able to see the video board?

i don't know this for a fact, but i'd be surprised if they'd be able to see it. that's part of the deal when you get the "cheap" seats, haha...

jmufan
May 19th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Signage!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmu_photography_services/5734184961/in/set-72157626751802192/

JMUDuke2002
May 20th, 2011, 09:30 AM
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/AJ/AJTEQUCFCILZLKM.20110516202136.JPG

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/UL/ULAWSMFQANULYRK.20110516202303.JPG

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/RU/RULTUCVJVTFKYUR.20110516203442.JPG

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/BH/BHNPFTXRAXDGWMF.20110520124335.JPG

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/RQ/RQBEAMQTUWZHGQR.20110520124708.JPG

ur2k
May 20th, 2011, 09:43 AM

Kidd-Brewer:

Bridgeforth:

Are there any current pictures that show the whole stadium? I'm curious to see the old stands in comparison to the new and how it will look together this year.

Will there be anything done in the immediate future to the other side or is that a future phase that may or may not happen?

Top Dawg
May 20th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Are there any current pictures that show the whole stadium? I'm curious to see the old stands in comparison to the new and how it will look together this year.

Will there be anything done in the immediate future to the other side or is that a future phase that may or may not happen?
You'll need to wait until the endzone seating is complete to get a good feel for how the "old side" ties into the "new side". I think that when finished in a couple of months the endzone seating will tie the sides together so that it doesn't appear too lopsided.

No immediate plans to renovate the "old side" with the exception of putting the old scoreboard that was on the Athletic performance center (traditional board showing score, game clock, time outs left, and down and distance) on the old pressbox and turning the old pressbox into the visiting team athletic director's "suite".

jmufan999
May 20th, 2011, 10:44 AM

depends on what your definition of "immediate future" is.

it has been in the JMU Master Plan for years to completely renovate both sides. phase 1 looks pretty on par with what's in the Master Plan. they're definitely going to do the same to the other side, but no one knows for sure how long that will take. many believe it will be determined on how well we do with attendance, which i agree with... but i also think an invitation to an FBS conference we're interested in could also speed up the process. just a guess though.

ur2k
May 20th, 2011, 10:47 AM
You'll need to wait until the endzone seating is complete to get a good feel for how the "old side" ties into the "new side". I think that when finished in a couple of months the endzone seating will tie the sides together so that it doesn't appear too lopsided.

No immediate plans to renovate the "old side" with the exception of putting the old scoreboard that was on the Athletic performance center (traditional board showing score, game clock, time outs left, and down and distance) on the old pressbox and turning the old pressbox into the visiting team athletic director's "suite".

Thanks - will the endzone connect on both sides? It's hard to tell b/c all the renderings don't much of the "old side" for obvious reasons.

Any idea where they will plan on sticking the visitor seats?

Top Dawg
May 20th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks - will the endzone connect on both sides? It's hard to tell b/c all the renderings don't much of the "old side" for obvious reasons.

Any idea where they will plan on sticking the visitor seats?

It won't actually connect with the "old side". Here's a link to the seating chart that gives a feel for the stadium.

Not sure where "visitor" tickets are, but they'll probably be the same as in prior years (around sections 6 and 7 of the "old side") by where the visiting locker room is.

http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14400&ATCLID=204986074

TheBisonator
May 20th, 2011, 11:02 AM
When you look at the place from the back, it seriously resembles an NFL stadium.

This place is gonna KICK ARSE.

JMUDuke2002
May 20th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Another view

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/5734186327_734e332d83_b.jpg

StorminASU
May 20th, 2011, 02:09 PM
This looks great.
I'll have to admit, there's a growing part of me that's jealous. Oh well, maybe some day we'll start bowling in and get rid of the #$%@ track.

TheBisonator
May 20th, 2011, 02:51 PM
When the other side is done, it will literally be an NFL-quality facility.

This is an AMAZING project.

I wonder how all you JMU folks raised the money for this thing. I know NDSU is trying to raise money (and failing at it) to rebuild our dog shiit basketball arena. Any pointers your fan base can give us in fundraising??

jmufan999
May 20th, 2011, 02:52 PM
it has been in the JMU Master Plan for years to completely renovate both sides. phase 1 looks pretty on par with what's in the Master Plan.

for those that want a visual, check out pages 28-29 of JMU's master plan under "Bridgeforth Stadium Complete Renovation":

http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/jamesmadisonuniversity/jmu_master_plan/2009040701/#28

bostonspider
May 20th, 2011, 03:41 PM
It would look awesome if they just continued the lower deck around, and then eventually got to the new upper deck on the opposite side. I did a little photoshop based on an old model of the project. I would guess this would bump capacity up into the low 30k range.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5270/5741102264_d35bcf2440_b.jpg

JmuSkinsfan
May 20th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Boston, that's a solid point but I imagine the University has planned this all out. Everything has been to a "T" at this point, so I trust that there was an issue with that plan. They may be planning suites on that side, which would require them to build the upper deck shortly after the lower deck.

I think, though, that it has more to do with the fact that JMU is only planning on the stadium being in it's current form for a few years, and that when they add the other side it will be cheaper to do it all at once rather than one piece at a time, which would be costlier, and not worth the short term aesthetic fix, IMHO. Also, I think rebuilding the lower level and adding the full bowl would increase capacity by maybe 2,000 ... Which wouldn't be worth the extra cost of building separately.

jmufan
May 20th, 2011, 11:58 PM
When you look at the place from the back, it seriously resembles an NFL stadium.

This place is gonna KICK ARSE.

The stadium really reminds me of Heinz Field home of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Mainly the side, such as the staircase and how it sticks out. Pretty cool.

Longhorn
May 24th, 2011, 07:12 AM
As it's already been pointed out by another poster, your so-called compliment was "backhanded" at best. When you praise...praise...don't spin it.

And you'd like to place a wager on where I really went to school, eh? Okay, I'll take that bet.. I'll even give you odds....any odds you'd like. In fact, I'll give you a range of options on which to place your wager. How much would you like to wager I've earned one or two degrees from the U. of Texas (the one in Austin)? How much do you want to wager on the fact I earned those degrees with Honors? Or that I'm a Life Member of the Texas Ex Association (that's what the UT alumni association is called). What odds would you like that I was married in the Presbyterian Chapel on the UT campus and the reception was held in the UT Alumni Center? Or that I've been the Texas Alumni rep for Virginia? Or that I've been recognized as a distinguished alum? Okay...your turn. I'll wait while you decide how much $$ you'd like to place to back up your rather arrogant post.

And I've been to KBS in the past 3 years, and for an FCS stadium it's one of the larger, better stadiums out there. But it's not better than the new Bridgeforth. Not even close. And if my honest opinion/appraisal of your stadium upsets you, well, you're just going to have to deal with it. KBS still looks like a High School set-up to me with that track. And it always will until it's gone. Honestly, the ASU administration should have bit the bullet and gotten rid of it, and/or started from scratch. And Skinsfan is spot on in that I did take exception to your "when the other side is complete" comment. Bridgeforth, just as it will sit after the current construction is finished, looks and feels like a major college football venue. KBS looks, well...like something a great deal less than that.

Longhorn
May 24th, 2011, 07:17 AM
For Bisonator:

For the most part it was a bonded project, approved by the state legislature, to be repaid by student fees, increased game day revenue, and major donor gifts. Budgeted at $62 million, it might come in less than that as this has been a great time to build while the economy has driven down (or kept in check) construction costs.

93henfan
May 24th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Longhorn, why not use the quote feature so that the target of your reply can be put on notice?

89Hen
May 24th, 2011, 07:23 AM
How much do you want to wager on the fact I earned those degrees with Honors? Or that I'm a Life Member of the Texas Ex Association (that's what the UT alumni association is called). What odds would you like that I was married in the Presbyterian Chapel on the UT campus and the reception was held in the UT Alumni Center? Or that I've been the Texas Alumni rep for Virginia? Or that I've been recognized as a distinguished alum? Okay...your turn. I'll wait while you decide how much $$ you'd like to place to back up your rather arrogant post.
Just sayin. xchinscratchx

doolittledog
May 24th, 2011, 07:39 AM
So...did Ohio State and their 90k stadium look like a high school set up because they had a track around their football field up till about 10 years ago? Did USC, playing in the 90k LA Coliseum look like a high school set up because of the track until it was taken out about the same time? The Washington Huskies, same thing...

KBS is a great college venue. Bridgeforth will be a great college venue. Bridgeforth will be new and have all the new bells and whistles and some people will therefore think of it as better than KBS. Others will like the older feel of KBS. They will both be great college football venues...to each their own.

93henfan
May 24th, 2011, 07:52 AM
And lets face it, throwing streamers automatically takes away 10K seats worth of cool points, so JMU is really only expanding to a 15K seat stadium this season.

jmu_duke07
May 24th, 2011, 08:04 AM
And lets face it, throwing streamers automatically takes away 10K seats worth of cool points, so JMU is really only expanding to a 15K seat stadium this season.

Way to be subtle about your jealousy...

93henfan
May 24th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Way to be subtle about your jealousy...

I've never been subtle about my jealousy. I've congratulated JMU fans on the expansion as I've seen every new picture come in. I think most of it was on the busier FCS site, so you might not have seen it.

Longhorn
May 24th, 2011, 12:17 PM
So...did Ohio State and their 90k stadium look like a high school set up because they had a track around their football field up till about 10 years ago? Did USC, playing in the 90k LA Coliseum look like a high school set up because of the track until it was taken out about the same time? The Washington Huskies, same thing...

KBS is a great college venue. Bridgeforth will be a great college venue. Bridgeforth will be new and have all the new bells and whistles and some people will therefore think of it as better than KBS. Others will like the older feel of KBS. They will both be great college football venues...to each their own.

Your logic is faulty. Scale has something to do with perceptions...and a 90k seat venue w/track trumps any 25k seat venue with track. Gotta compare apples to apples. 25k seats with a track looks like a High School field. And I've never argued KBS isn't a nice FCS venue, but it's not the best by a long shot.

Longhorn
May 24th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Just sayin. xchinscratchx

29,000 posts and you're still playing small ball. Sad.

jmufan999
May 24th, 2011, 12:41 PM

that may be, i don't really know who allocates "cool points"...

...but recruits LOVE that stuff. traditions like that can be the difference in choosing one school over another. it's not the MAIN reason, but that might be the tiebreaker for someone. line of thinking:

streamers = parties, parties = fans paying attention, fans paying attention = exciting atmosphere

WUTNDITWAA
May 24th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Clowns and playing pin the tail on the donkey = parties where streamers are used. xcoolx

89Hen
May 24th, 2011, 01:08 PM
29,000 posts and you're still playing small ball. Sad.

Dog pile on the arrogance.

89Hen
May 24th, 2011, 01:09 PM
traditions like that can be the difference in choosing one school over another. it's not the MAIN reason, but that might be the tiebreaker for someone.

Hence, why JMU has been losing the recruiting battle.

R3TRO
May 24th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Less talk.. more pictures

JMUDuke2002
May 24th, 2011, 02:05 PM
From across the lake

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/NB/NBNMCULFBAIAKGJ.20110521033306.JPG

New scoreboard

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/UW/UWLGOUMKPYYCBVZ.20110522032848.JPG

Club level

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/GM/GMCJQNKRQJRQNOJ.20110522034310.JPG

President's suite

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/HH/HHJRUTLWIPETOSI.20110522034814.JPG

Field view from upperdeck

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/QR/QRJVJERINCPJBVD.20110522040051.JPG

View of upperdeck

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/RV/RVCQTCTLISHZMIY.20110522040145.JPG

JMUDuke2002
May 24th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Main entrance

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/HY/HYTVCUYBBQVYNZC.20110523201517.JPG

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/LZ/LZIIDDZWOOGQPCU.20110523203926.JPG

Endzone work

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/GY/GYTQSKWXGCKJDHB.20110523203711.JPG

JMUDuke2002
May 24th, 2011, 02:12 PM
BTW, all of these pics come from JMU.

http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14400&ATCLID=205036937

LegalGaSouthernEagle
May 24th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Just about C-USA caliber.

DFW HOYA
May 24th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Where do schools come up with money to fund projects like this?

tractorapp
May 24th, 2011, 07:47 PM

Where does Georgetown spend all the basketball revenue? I would think being in the Big East would bring in major $.

NuJerzBullDog
May 24th, 2011, 08:28 PM
this is really nice and i do agree with legalgasoutherneagle it does look like a c-usa stadium

DFW HOYA
May 24th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Where does Georgetown spend all the basketball revenue? I would think being in the Big East would bring in major $.

A lot of it pays for Verizon Center--Georgetown gets no revenue from concessions, parking, etc. and loses money when not enough tickets are sold. Basketball basically breaks even as a result.

Put another way, basketball can't fund the MSF.

LegalGaSouthernEagle
May 24th, 2011, 09:59 PM
A lot of it pays for Verizon Center--Georgetown gets no revenue from concessions, parking, etc. and loses money when not enough tickets are sold. Basketball basically breaks even as a result.

Put another way, basketball can't fund the MSF.You guys have plenty of monied alumni. Are you kidding me? All it takes is interest level.

DFW HOYA
May 24th, 2011, 10:41 PM
You guys have plenty of monied alumni. Are you kidding me? All it takes is interest level.

Ah, were it that easy. $12 million was raised and there is still not another shovel in the ground. There are so many competing issues that I'll spare those who have heard it before, but one thing is clear: ten years of Georgetown recruits have been sold the MSF and none have seen it. Countless recruits (and more than a few wins) have been lost in the process. And basketball has been trying to build a practice facility for almost five years, with lots of interest, and nothing's been built, either.

Anyway, good for JMU's facility efforts .

JMUNJ08
May 24th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Hence, why JMU has been losing the recruiting battle.

"Man, those JMU people are crazy throwing streamers. Who does that? At least they are into the game and know when they score. Heard they have been sold out almost every game since '04"

"Man, where are all the UD fans? I thought they said they fill this place? I wonder if they are doing any upgrades. Tough to compete, JMU's place looks pretty sick!"

I think we are really doing just fine with our recruiting. Now if only we could recruit players who won't be injured 75% of their career we could get them on the field...

JMUDuke2002
May 25th, 2011, 08:03 AM

As a state university, JMU can ask the state of VA to issue a bond on construction projects to be repaid through student fees, ticket sales, concessions and merchandise but not tax or tuition revenue.

Top Dawg
June 4th, 2011, 12:32 PM
It won't actually connect with the "old side". Here's a link to the seating chart that gives a feel for the stadium.

Not sure where "visitor" tickets are, but they'll probably be the same as in prior years (around sections 6 and 7 of the "old side") by where the visiting locker room is.

http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14400&ATCLID=204986074
Apparently, the visitor tickets will be split mostly between sections 401 and 8. I don't think you'll be able to see the scoreboard in the endzone from section 401, but it does have a great view of the field and there is now a small no frills scoreboard on top of the old press box that is visible from 401.

JMUDuke2002
June 9th, 2011, 11:53 AM
View from East Campus

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/OO/OOWPSKCAKOJOAFK.20110609025747.JPG

Vidoeboard work ongoing

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/LJ/LJGCIZXUSTCODBZ.20110609030832.JPG

Videoboard and endzone seating going in

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/JJ/JJPBBGKDXXEOCNQ.20110609031036.JPG

More videoboard

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/IW/IWAODHNQUXGZMRW.20110607185312.JPG

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/ZX/ZXXNMPKSCHDXHTS.20110607185339.JPG

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/KJ/KJFNUQACHDDFMUI.20110607185755.JPG

Endzone seats going in

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/MQ/MQHMFDPJRMPYLNW.20110607185637.JPG

whitey
June 9th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Going down tomorrow to pick out my new seats. Can't wait.

JMUDuke2002
June 14th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Shows how close the stands are to the field

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/KD/KDJEGVTQGEGJKRT.20110613191051.JPG

Endzone seating going in. Still more steel to go up.

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/ZE/ZEAIKRCZGXJVAXM.20110613191217.JPG

Replacement turf going in

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/MK/MKQVYVCJORKDOVF.20110613185846.JPG

http://www.jmusports.com/pics32/640/XH/XHAQHTAORFHYEPK.20110613185931.JPG

Waco Kid
June 14th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Looking good Dukes. One question though... Are they replacing the entire field or just the one end? The reason I ask is there seems to be a huge difference in the color between the 15 and 10 compared to the color between the 5 and goal line. I know the section between the 10 and 5 are darker with the alternating shades, but the light sections look very different between old and new. I'm just hoping that doesn't mess up the look of the new and improved Bridgeforth.

JmuSkinsfan
June 14th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Looking good Dukes. One question though... Are they replacing the entire field or just the one end? The reason I ask is there seems to be a huge difference in the color between the 15 and 10 compared to the color between the 5 and goal line. I know the section between the 10 and 5 are darker with the alternating shades, but the light sections look very different between old and new. I'm just hoping that doesn't mess up the look of the new and improved Bridgeforth.

We are debating that over on the JMU boards on the Zone ... but we think once the rubber pellets are put down and the part that has been covered is power washed they should be close to the same color. Apparently the company who makes the turf says on their website that the turf doesn't fade ... so I'd guess that it may just be dusty ... or the bright fresh green look of the new turf will fade back a bit when it is fully installed (rubber pellets are somehow linked to fading it, don't ask me why haha)

boonedocks
June 14th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Wow. That is looking amazing.

jmufan999
June 14th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I know this is going to sound like a homer thing to say... and fans from other schools can feel free to not believe me if they prefer.

But I can almost guarantee the turf will look great when everything is completed. Every time throughout this process we have thought something looks weird/strange, it's been fixed/finished pretty quickly and our questions/issues resolved. I trust the administration completely. I'd be shocked if the turf didn't look great by the home opener. Way too much time/money spent on marketing the expanded stadium to let something like that be an eyesore.

edit: one more thing: I was there yesterday and hadn't seen the stadium in months. I know it gets old reading "you have to see it in person to understand how big it is", but it is REALLY true. It's absolutely huge.