PDA

View Full Version : Running from NOLA - Yale, Colgate or Lafayette

TexasTerror
December 31st, 2005, 01:21 PM
Meyers, a pre-med major, hopes to transfer next semester to Colgate University, Yale University or Lafayette College in Easton, Pa. All three are Division I-AA schools, thereby allowing Meyers to transfer without sitting out another year.

This guy was 3rd string at Tulane, so he's probably comparable to what these schools have now, especially since he was a walk-on working his way up.

http://www.thereporter.com/sports/ci_3360120

Marcus Garvey
December 31st, 2005, 01:26 PM
Athletics aside Terror, how badly do you think Katrina will affect Tulane in the long term? I suspect that their ability to attract students nationwide has been significantly hurt by the storm. I could see Tulane becoming more of a "regional" university, similar to Furman or Villanova. However, being closer to campus, have you seen or read anything in the news that might offer some insight?

TexasTerror
December 31st, 2005, 01:45 PM
Athletics aside Terror, how badly do you think Katrina will affect Tulane in the long term? I suspect that their ability to attract students nationwide has been significantly hurt by the storm. I could see Tulane becoming more of a "regional" university, similar to Furman or Villanova. However, being closer to campus, have you seen or read anything in the news that might offer some insight?

Oddly enough, they have had an increase in application for potential incoming freshmen for 2006. Crazy, eh? My girlfriend is applying for Tulane grad school. We'll see what happens there.

Some things to think about...

Tulane's medical schools got washed out and won't be running in NOLA til summer. This was the biggest issue Tulane is facing as their medical schools were not located adjacent to their campus which didn't take a bad hit.

A good group of faculty, staff and students in all places of higher education are not returning til summer because they have kids or family. They'd rather wait til things are up and running again full-steam in the summer and/or fall before moving back.

Also, as I found out, a shortage of available housing. This is keeping loads of folks away who do not want to stay in cruise ships or hotels (Dillard Univ is putting their who crew in a Hilton!).

Tulane students and folks in general are very Tulane proud and ready to go back home! The athletic situation is a mess and is very much on our forefront because we're big sports fans especially of collegiate athletics, so that is what is most visible to us. Tulane does have plans to bring back the cut sports over due time...

Lehigh Football Nation
December 31st, 2005, 02:08 PM
Grunt... Where's Lehigh's name in that list? :mad:

blukeys
December 31st, 2005, 02:24 PM
Meyers, a pre-med major, hopes to transfer next semester to Colgate University, Yale University or Lafayette College in Easton, Pa. All three are Division I-AA schools, thereby allowing Meyers to transfer without sitting out another year.

This guy was 3rd string at Tulane, so he's probably comparable to what these schools have now, especially since he was a walk-on working his way up.

A walk on at Tulane is comparable to Brad Maurer at Lafayette? I don't think so. The 3rd string at many of these non-BSC I-A schools tend to be not all that good. This guy might compete at Colgate where the QB position is up in the air but I think in the end he may just add depth. If he was not good enough to earn One of the 85 schollies at Tulane in a Key position then I wonder how much he has to offer.

Pard4Life
December 31st, 2005, 03:36 PM

Is this the transfer you were alluding to Colgate 13? Quite an interesting story and horrific circumstances.

I have no idea what his skill level is, but I am impressed that he walked-on and battled his way to no.3 on the depth. That, plus he seems to have done a ton of maturation this year. And.. if I read the article correctly, he would have his freshmen status preserved. Once again I have to give kudos to our staff and players. Thanks to their efforts, Lafayette is now in the same sentence as Colgate and Yale. Perhaps this could be our big QB recruit of the winter. Does someone know where to dig up some of his stats and features?

Academics seem to be his main focus... Lafayette has a respectable pre-med program. Don't know about Colgate... and Yale is, well... Yale. From the article it seems that he has spent a good amount of time in Philadelphia and enjoyed it... Lafayette is no doubt the closest... I hope he sees it that way :)

RadMann
December 31st, 2005, 03:53 PM
I agree that a 3rd stringer at a I-A like Tulane is not likely a starter in the Patriot League. Not everyone who has played in I-A is even a decent I-AA prospect. UD has had several transfers in recent years from I-A programs higher up than Tulane who added depth but were not starting material.

TexasTerror
December 31st, 2005, 04:00 PM
A walk on at Tulane is comparable to Brad Maurer at Lafayette? I don't think so. The 3rd string at many of these non-BSC I-A schools tend to be not all that good. This guy might compete at Colgate where the QB position is up in the air but I think in the end he may just add depth. If he was not good enough to earn One of the 85 schollies at Tulane in a Key position then I wonder how much he has to offer.

I just think he's shown maturity and ability which is why he's moved to #3 and has yet to complete even one season of eligibility. He'd probably get a scholarship if that's the case at Tulane.

None of us can say we know everything about him. Perhaps Tulane told him to walk-on because he was a local kid and that if he earned his way, a scholarship at hand. Maybe he get I-AA offers and decided that he'd rather attempt to make Tulane's roster?

ngineer
December 31st, 2005, 04:57 PM
Agreed with some of the above. A third-stringer at a non-BCS school is not as good as the starters in the PL. Chad Schwenk--who started at Rutgers and transfered to Lehigh was not nearly as good as most of our QB's in the past 30 years. I fully expect Maurer to be Lafayette's QB next year.

Pard4Life
December 31st, 2005, 07:51 PM
Agreed with some of the above. A third-stringer at a non-BCS school is not as good as the starters in the PL. Chad Schwenk--who started at Rutgers and transfered to Lehigh was not nearly as good as most of our QB's in the past 30 years. I fully expect Maurer to be Lafayette's QB next year.

Note: Schwenk was from Rutgers in the early 2000s. Anything coming out of there was tainted goods.

No doubt Maurer will be the 2006 starter. He was all-Patriot 2nd-team this year and was a stud in 2004. But, I do not agree with the '3rd stringer is automatically not good, and not for the PL'. A freshman on the 3rd string is not unusual, or an indication he is bad. Unless he is an all-star, he won't start or see many minutes because he has to learn the system. Maurer was 3rd string behind Glavic and Mike O'Connor as a frosh... that doesn't mean he was a bad QB. He needed time to learn. I don't know what Tulane's roster is like and I'm too lazy to check right now, but there could be two seniors frist and second string.. or a senior/junior, junior/junior.. whatever.. people who have been there awhile and know the system. But like I said unless he is all-star caliber, or desperately needed, he won't play as a frosh. If he had shown those flashes of brillance as a second stringer of first stringer this year.... he might be going to a D-I school (or still I-AA if his focus is academics... which it sounds like it is :hurray: ) . Granted Tulane had a bad year, he should be given a quality look given how he has handled adversity and made it to the third string as a walk-on. That, and check out his history... if he didn't get ANY I-A or I-AA offers, then we might have some stronger naysaying points.

carney2
December 31st, 2005, 07:52 PM

You speak wisdom, ngineer. These are words that I use grudgingly when addressing a Chicken Hawk. Schwenk never got it done and never looked like he was going to get it done. Maurer will take every meaningful snap in 2006, God willing.

Unfortunately for Pard fans, Maurer did not prove real durable in 2005. In addition to the season ending shoulder separation suffered in the Lehigh game, he was injured in the Richmond game and it nagged him for over a month and a half and was a major factor in the Princeton loss. If he plays to his strength - mixing the run liberally into his activities - his ability to get through a full season is in doubt. In my opinion the cupboard is bare should he go down again. Mike Bernhard has not had any meaningful playing time and is, in my mind, questionable at best. Mike DiPaola doesn't even look good with a clipboard. Of all the losses suffered with those 25 graduating seniors, Pat Davis may prove to be the most critical. If this guy transfers in from Tulane, he could be very useful.

Pard4Life
December 31st, 2005, 08:20 PM
You speak wisdom, ngineer. These are words that I use grudgingly when addressing a Chicken Hawk. Schwenk never got it done and never looked like he was going to get it done. Maurer will take every meaningful snap in 2006, God willing.

Unfortunately for Pard fans, Maurer did not prove real durable in 2005. In addition to the season ending shoulder separation suffered in the Lehigh game, he was injured in the Richmond game and it nagged him for over a month and a half and was a major factor in the Princeton loss. If he plays to his strength - mixing the run liberally into his activities - his ability to get through a full season is in doubt. In my opinion the cupboard is bare should he go down again. Mike Bernhard has not had any meaningful playing time and is, in my mind, questionable at best. Mike DiPaola doesn't even look good with a clipboard. Of all the losses suffered with those 25 graduating seniors, Pat Davis may prove to be the most critical. If this guy transfers in from Tulane, he could be very useful.

What's your basis on that? I've heard Bernhard has the talent and I don't know anything about DiPaola.

colgate13
December 31st, 2005, 08:50 PM
This guy is one of the rumours I've heard about, but there is a bigger fish that still may be fried if my sources are right.

This article may also be off. I think he earned a scholarship at some point and is not a true 'walk-on'. Either way, if he adds depth, great. But I'm not looking for him to come in and start this August. We'll see.

ngineer
December 31st, 2005, 09:27 PM
I'm not saying the guy can't become a starter in the PL or anywhere in I-AA. However, it seems to me that ALOT of these I-A transfers don't pan out and that just because they were recruited at I-A shouldn't give them some kind of aura of 'savior'. We also had a transfer from Oregon State a couple years back as a DB--everybody thought 'wow' he should be able to step right in and play. Never played snap for the varsity.

colgate13
January 23rd, 2006, 02:11 PM
Well, judging by the online directory at Colgate, it appears that Ryan Meyers has landed at Colgate, becoming our first I-A transfer since DeWayne Long from Nebraska in 2003. He turned out to be quite a 'catch', so I'm hoping this is just as good!

Meyers has 4 years of eligiblity and gets a leg up on other frosh by playing this spring. We'll see how good he becomes, but my guess is that means Colgate is done recruiting QBs this season unless someone too good to pass up comes our way. We brought in 3 good frosh last year, so with Meyers we'll have 5 QBs playing spring ball unless someone gets moved.

Pards Rule
January 23rd, 2006, 02:22 PM
Pard4Life, agreed! Hey maybe we can convert him to a WR or something. Also, P4L, I was wondering if you were gonna lift "The Catch" pic from the recent Alumni News to use as your new avator?

gwavefan
January 23rd, 2006, 03:21 PM
Meyers had several offers from West Coast D-1A schools but passed these up for Tulane because it was home. He started out as a preffered walk-on and earned a schol.

He was #3 behind a senior and a Sophomore--the Senior will go pro and he would have competed for playting time as a red-shirt freshman.

From all accounts he is an impact player and a leader. At 6' 3" 230 lbs, He is a great "find" for Colgate.

colgate13
January 23rd, 2006, 03:26 PM
Meyers had several offers from West Coast D-1A schools but passed these up for Tulane because it was home. He started out as a preffered walk-on and earned a schol.

He was #3 behind a senior and a Sophomore--the Senior will go pro and he would have competed for playting time as a red-shirt freshman.

From all accounts he is an impact player and a leader. At 6' 3" 230 lbs, He is a great "find" for Colgate.

Me Like-y! :hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

Ivytalk
January 23rd, 2006, 04:00 PM
Harvard got a Tulane transfer, Richard Irvin, a year ago. At the end of the '05 season, he was our #2 QB behind O'Hagan.

gwavefan
January 23rd, 2006, 04:04 PM
Dartmouth (the head coach was at Stanford) pursued Meyers also. Word is they wanted him there. Teevens was very familar with Meyers when he was on the West Coast and recruited him while at Stanford.

Pard4Life
January 23rd, 2006, 04:41 PM
Pard4Life, agreed! Hey maybe we can convert him to a WR or something. Also, P4L, I was wondering if you were gonna lift "The Catch" pic from the recent Alumni News to use as your new avator?

Did not know alumni news was out yet, but interesting idea... I like the one I have now... Tavani addressing the huddle on Goodman's field.. took a few other worthy avatar pics that day, but no catch pic... why not make it yours? I'd like to see a few pardsters with it.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 23rd, 2006, 04:46 PM
Dartmouth (the head coach was at Stanford) pursued Meyers also. Word is they wanted him there. Teevens was very familar with Meyers when he was on the West Coast and recruited him while at Stanford.

This begs an important question. Did he choose Colgate over Yale/Dartmouth because of the ability to play in the I-AA championship?

As to my he didn't choose Lafayette, he must have made the mistake of making a recruiting trip right by Fisher field. :rotateh:

colgate13
January 23rd, 2006, 07:20 PM
This begs an important question. Did he choose Colgate over Yale/Dartmouth because of the ability to play in the I-AA championship?

Could be - it also could be just the plain old ability to play. We've got a fifth year senior and then.... he could start for at least 3 years if he's any good.

blukeys
January 23rd, 2006, 08:20 PM

A great question that needs to be asked. My experience is that kids transfer so that they can play. They than look for schools that are a good fit academically. But the key for athletes is that they want to play.

Andy Hall transferred from a good engineering school to a good engineering school because he thought he could play. Most I-A to I-AA transfers are not quite good enough to start on their I-A teams or, they were recruited by one coach who left the program for any number of reasons and then are left in the cold.

Most of the time a I-A to I-AA transfer is not an impact player. There are some rare exceptions that are over publicized. The Majority of I-A transfers somtimes are starters, many times are spot starters and often provide depth.

However, after reading the UD recruiting board I have come across quotes for the last 2 years from kids who say they want to play on a NC team. So maybe this is more important for transfers and recruits then I originally thought.

This may be nothing more than an effective UD recruiting pitch but I would be interested in hearing from others. Does the opportunity for a NC help in recruiting either High School players or Transfers at your school?

colgate13
January 24th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Does the opportunity for a NC help in recruiting either High School players or Transfers at your school?

It is certainly an edge we use over the Ivy. Judging by our success against them, I think it works.

Pards Rule
January 24th, 2006, 09:01 AM
why not make it yours? I'd like to see a few pardsters with it.
Yes, but I would have no CLUE on how to do it. Im an IT disaster!