PDA

View Full Version : Morris: FCS playoffs should be prize for S.C. State

bosshogg
February 23rd, 2010, 08:31 AM
Worse ideas have come along in college football. It's just difficult to remember one.

The Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference is contemplating a requirement that its regular-season champion play against the champion from the Southwestern Athletic Conference for the historically black college national championship.

It would be the revival of the Heritage Bowl, which died a slow death in the late 1990s when fans realized the game held little or no significance.

Such a game makes sense for one reason only - money. With a TV deal and a healthy gate at a neutral site, the black national title game could be a financial boom to both leagues.

The problem is that by playing in the game, representatives from the MEAC and SWAC would forfeit any chance of playing in the FCS playoffs, which bring with it much national exposure for the participating team and its league. The SWAC already suffers from an inferiority complex and does not participate in the FCS playoffs.

"We've got to weigh whether we want to give up that national exposure in terms of FCS," said Charlene Johnson, South Carolina State's athletics director, "or whether we want to look at what dollars might be placed on the table."

Johnson said she would not take a side until all the facts are in. Her football coach, Buddy Pough, also wants to consider all options. But there is little doubting where he stands.

"I'm a playoff guy," Pough said.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?t=68473

TexasTerror
February 23rd, 2010, 08:42 AM
The Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference is contemplating a requirement that its regular-season champion play against the champion from the Southwestern Athletic Conference for the historically black college national championship.

Does this game really lead to a "HBCU championship" game? I thought that in recent years that sub-Div I teams have won. Can Tuskegee or Albany State get in this game in place of a SWAC or MEAC school if need be?

The problem is that by playing in the game, representatives from the MEAC and SWAC would forfeit any chance of playing in the FCS playoffs, which bring with it much national exposure for the participating team and its league. The SWAC already suffers from an inferiority complex and does not participate in the FCS playoffs.

xeekx

401ks
February 23rd, 2010, 09:59 AM
I believe that the name, "Gridiron Classic" is now available!

;)

Jaguar79
February 23rd, 2010, 12:30 PM
Worse ideas have come along in college football. It's just difficult to remember one.

It would be the revival of the Heritage Bowl, which died a slow death in the late 1990s when fans realized the game held little or no significance.

Such a game makes sense for one reason only - money. With a TV deal and a healthy gate at a neutral site, the black national title game could be a financial boom to both leagues.

"We've got to weigh whether we want to give up that national exposure in terms of FCS," said Charlene Johnson, South Carolina State's athletics director, "or whether we want to look at what dollars might be placed on the table."

Johnson said she would not take a side until all the facts are in. Her football coach, Buddy Pough, also wants to consider all options. But there is little doubting where he stands.

"I'm a playoff guy," Pough said.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?t=68473

The underlined part is a joke, right? Hell, the whole bolded part is a farce. There's no inferiority complex over a playoff system that figuratively "steals" the home gate.

Y'all keep enjoying yourselves in Boone or wherever because if you seriously think there is some national exposure coming from ONE game on ESPN, then what is the Bayou Classic or Magic City Classic, or any MEAC or SWAC game on the ESPN family of networks?

Why can't he just say it's a choice without leading to one side is right and one is wrong. There is no wrong here. One side believes the playoffs are worth it and the other side does not .... that simple.

3rd Coast Tiger
February 23rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
The underlined part is a joke, right? Hell, the whole bolded part is a farce. There's no inferiority complex over a playoff system that figuratively "steals" the home gate.

Y'all keep enjoying yourselves in Boone or wherever because if you seriously think there is some national exposure coming from ONE game on ESPN, then what is the Bayou Classic or Magic City Classic, or any MEAC or SWAC game on the ESPN family of networks?

Why can't he just say it's a choice without leading to one side is right and one is wrong. There is no wrong here. One side believes the playoffs are worth it and the other side does not .... that simple.

Hey Jag79, just save this post and repost it on a daily basis until others comprehend what you're saying.

The 2009 FCS playoff attendance figures are in and 2009 is DOWN on the average close to 2,000 per game played! So where's that exposure, notoriety and limelight we keep getting force fed?

Syntax Error
February 23rd, 2010, 05:22 PM
... if you seriously think there is some national exposure coming from ONE game on ESPN, then what is the Bayou Classic or Magic City Classic, or any MEAC or SWAC game on the ESPN family of networks?

Um, what playoff game was NOT on "the ESPN family of networks?" xeyebrowx

JohnStOnge
February 23rd, 2010, 07:05 PM
If the Heritage Bowl concept was that much of a money maker it would never have been dropped to begin with. I hope the MEAC does not allow the SWAC to drag it down that rat hole again.

JohnStOnge
February 23rd, 2010, 07:17 PM
Oh...and I do think that the fact that the SWAC never won a single playoff game while it was participating has something to do with that league's attitude towards the playoffs. Call me crazy, but that's what I think.

mikebigg
February 24th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Not so much the record as the fact that most of the home gate and proceeds go to the NCAA... plus Gram, SU, and Bama State's REGULAR SEASON isn't complete when the playoffs begin. We (the conference) didn't get an auto bid (NCAA's decision based on aforementioned schools not being available), so our conference formed alternate means of getting a post season game. Initially it was the Heritage Bowl and now the Conference Championship game.

SC State and the MEAC exercise their option and choose the playoffs... if that's important to them, so be it.

TexasTerror
February 24th, 2010, 07:32 AM

Or if we want to put it even simpler...

The SWAC cares more about money.

Their schools are amongst the most poorly funded institutions at the Division I level nationally and any chance they can get at making $$$ - they will follow through.

They will do this, whether it through "whoring" themselves out in hoops or limiting the amount of home football games in favor of 'classics' and neutral-site games in which promoters are willing to pay them substantial money to showcase their "programs".

mikebigg
February 24th, 2010, 08:08 AM

Their schools are amongst the most poorly funded institutions at the Division I level nationally and any chance they can get at making $$$ - they will follow through.

They will do this, whether it through "whoring" themselves out in hoops or limiting the amount of home football games in favor of 'classics' and neutral-site games in which promoters are willing to pay them substantial money to showcase their "programs".

Simpler still...

The SWAC has the right to make their own decisions concerning participation in the FCS playoffs. What give you the right to disparingly refer to our business model as "whoring" itself out? Other conferences play money games but they aren't ridiculed... Other conferences play lower division schools, you don't comment disparingly on them. Yet a thread that's not even about the SWAC gets your usual putdowns of our conference.

I didn't expect you to change...I had hoped that the new board adminstrators would at least put you in check. Time will telll

TexasTerror
February 24th, 2010, 08:26 AM
What give you the right to disparingly refer to our business model as "whoring" itself out? Other conferences play money games but they aren't ridiculed

No conference plays as many money games in basketball than the SWAC. Several national columnists, including ESPN refer to "whoring" oneselves out in hoops as a SWAC-like schedule. An individual school or two in a conference may do it, but it is massive in the SWAC and the records reflect it...

At the end of the day, the business model allows you guys to stay in the business. It will never let you succeed nationally as far as competition, because as we've seen, your institutions can not properly fund the baseball programs, which are your best chance at competing nationally (i.e. lack of full time staff, lack of complete schedules and poor facilities).

Other conferences play lower division schools, you don't comment disparingly on them.

I do ridicule them, particularly Charleston Southern, who continually hits the road for North Greenville, a Div II school. Unfortunately, you only read posts related to HBCU football and do not go broader...

Yet a thread that's not even about the SWAC gets your usual putdowns of our conference.

The SWAC is part of this thread because of the Heritage Bowl includes both SWAC and the MEAC. It's simple math.

SWAC + MEAC = Heritage Bowl

Unfortunately the SWAC + MEAC not interested = No Heritage Bowl

I didn't expect you to change...I had hoped that the new board adminstrators would at least put you in check. Time will telll

I do not violate the TOS, because I do not personal attack. I've got rung up a few times, but when it comes down to it, I attack the issues, not the person. I've been called a 'terrorist' and 'racist' on this board by people who are not educated and/or mature enough to tackle the issues.

mikebigg
February 24th, 2010, 09:48 AM
No conference plays as many money games in basketball than the SWAC. Several national columnists, including ESPN refer to "whoring" oneselves out in hoops as a SWAC-like schedule. An individual school or two in a conference may do it, but it is massive in the SWAC and the records reflect it...

At the end of the day, the business model allows you guys to stay in the business. It will never let you succeed nationally as far as competition, because as we've seen, your institutions can not properly fund the baseball programs, which are your best chance at competing nationally (i.e. lack of full time staff, lack of complete schedules and poor facilities).

I do ridicule them, particularly Charleston Southern, who continually hits the road for North Greenville, a Div II school. Unfortunately, you only read posts related to HBCU football and do not go broader...

The SWAC is part of this thread because of the Heritage Bowl includes both SWAC and the MEAC. It's simple math.

SWAC + MEAC = Heritage Bowl

Unfortunately the SWAC + MEAC not interested = No Heritage Bowl

I do not violate the TOS, because I do not personal attack. I've got rung up a few times, but when it comes down to it, I attack the issues, not the person. I've been called a 'terrorist' and 'racist' on this board by people who are not educated and/or mature enough to tackle the issues.

Spin it how you choose... xrotatehx

The fact remains that you are not addressing any issues...the SWAC does not receive an autobid. Rather than sit and wait for an "invite", we took matters into our own hands and decided to have a Conference Championship. For some reason that and who we choose to play bothers you...Why? It's none of your concern.

3rd Coast Tiger
February 24th, 2010, 10:58 AM

And if you don't think Sam Houston Athletic Director doesn't care about the money...

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/ads2/485948.jpg

This is only the start. If this "Classic" is successful, you can most certainly expect more to come.