PDA

View Full Version : I-AAs Benefit from BCS?

TexasTerror
December 31st, 2005, 06:44 AM
Exactly, how are the I-AA conferences benefiting from this?

Is it because those eight conferences have auto-bids into the I-AA playoffs which are much better in determining a champion than the BC-Mess does? All the references to the I-AA playoff being an example of how the BCS should be? Or do the conferences (and which ones at that?) get actual money?

I'm assuming it's just the playoff auto-bid conferences here. So now GWFC, Big South or SWAC. Or is that not true?
--------
In her Dec. 10 Sports column, Sally Jenkins said that the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) arrangement had nothing to do with the national championship matchup between Southern California and Texas. Not so. Without the BCS, the University of Southern California would be playing in the Rose Bowl, while Texas would be playing in another bowl.

Ms. Jenkins also did not say that every Division I-A conference and eight Division I-AA conferences benefit financially from the BCS, not just the six conferences with champions that have annual automatic berths. Again, under the old bowl format, only teams selected by one of these games and their conferences received any revenue. Further, Ms. Jenkins did not say that the four BCS bowls are as open as ever -- meaning all 119 Division I-A teams have a chance to earn a spot in the BCS.

DAVID FROHNMAYER

Presidential Oversight Committee
Bowl Championship Series
Eugene, Ore.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/30/AR2005123001271.html

McTailGator
January 1st, 2006, 11:40 AM
Exactly, how are the I-AA conferences benefiting from this?

Is it because those eight conferences have auto-bids into the I-AA playoffs which are much better in determining a champion than the BC-Mess does? All the references to the I-AA playoff being an example of how the BCS should be? Or do the conferences (and which ones at that?) get actual money?

I'm assuming it's just the playoff auto-bid conferences here. So now GWFC, Big South or SWAC. Or is that not true?
--------
In her Dec. 10 Sports column, Sally Jenkins said that the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) arrangement had nothing to do with the national championship matchup between Southern California and Texas. Not so. Without the BCS, the University of Southern California would be playing in the Rose Bowl, while Texas would be playing in another bowl.

Ms. Jenkins also did not say that every Division I-A conference and eight Division I-AA conferences benefit financially from the BCS, not just the six conferences with champions that have annual automatic berths. Again, under the old bowl format, only teams selected by one of these games and their conferences received any revenue. Further, Ms. Jenkins did not say that the four BCS bowls are as open as ever -- meaning all 119 Division I-A teams have a chance to earn a spot in the BCS.

DAVID FROHNMAYER

Presidential Oversight Committee
Bowl Championship Series
Eugene, Ore.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/30/AR2005123001271.html

I read once that the BCS gives each I-AA playoff Conference some cash. I also though I read once that the BCS also provided some start up capital for CSTV and gave ESPN a little money to start covering more playoff games.

That is why there is a I-AA game of the week.

skinny_uncle
January 1st, 2006, 02:37 PM
I read once that the BCS gives each I-AA playoff Conference some cash. I also though I read once that the BCS also provided some start up capital for CSTV and gave ESPN a little money to start covering more playoff games.

How charitable of the BCS.
:eyebrow:

Catmendue2
January 1st, 2006, 02:49 PM

You are exactly correct, its part of a law suit settlement filed by Tulane and others oustside of the BCS.

McTailGator
January 1st, 2006, 08:07 PM
You are exactly correct, its part of a law suit settlement filed by Tulane and others oustside of the BCS.

No, the BCS did that BEFORE Toolames suit.

The TOOLAMES of the non BCS world were pissed that BCS was giving more to the I-AA's than to the I-a's (Small "a" on purpose) and they went after the BCS which would really rather have the I-a's drop down to I-AA.

The 12th game, and allowing teams to play at least one I-AA and have it count for Bowl elligability was the BCS's way of countering the I-a's who would rather not have I-AA's getting BCS type of guarantees IMO.

skinny_uncle
January 1st, 2006, 09:31 PM
I-AA awaiting their money from the BCS:
http://www.ihatebrianwilliams.com/themonthlybrian/archives/beggar.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
January 1st, 2006, 10:08 PM

Geez, that was money well spent for I-AA football! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

McTailGator
January 2nd, 2006, 06:22 PM
Geez, that was money well spent for I-AA football! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think what happened was that I-AA folks at the NCAA approached the CSTV executives and made them an offer to advertise the NCAA using money obtained from the BCS conferences.

They also gave ESPN some money in the form of Ad space during the playoffs as well.