PDA

View Full Version : Burnett: Last Chance to Help Frisco

TexasTerror
February 18th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Southland Commissioner Tom Burnett just tweeted, "Last chance to help Frisco land the NCAA DI Football Championship! Ticket pledge website closes Mon., Feb 22: www.collegefootballfrisco.com"

Urging anyone that would like to see the game end up in Frisco, to click over to www.collegefootballfrisco.com (http://www.collegefootballfrisco.com) and show your support!

We can count on 'Team Frisco' to do their part and we can help them secure the game by doing ours.

The presentation is Feb. 25 in Indianapolis.

TexasTerror
February 18th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Just rec'd this e-mail from TEAM FRISCO!

Dear Football Fan:

Thank you for pledging your support the effort to bring NCAA Division I Football Championship Games to Frisco, Texas! We appreciate your support. Please invite your family, friends and fellow football fans to join our team and pledge their support, too, by this coming Monday, February 22, which is when our pledge drive ends. Your support is vital to our success! Again, our gratitude and thanks! – Team Frisco

Frisco’s Online Ticket Pledge Drive for NCAA Football Ends Monday

Team Frisco will make its final pitch to the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee next Thursday.

FRISCO, Texas – In advance of Frisco’s final presentation to NCAA officials to possibly serve as host to the next three NCAA Division I Football Championship Games, fans have a last chance to sign up for the city’s online ticket pledge program before it ends on Monday. The city’s local organizing committee, also known as Team Frisco, will make its final pitch to the Division I Football Championship Committee in Indianapolis Feb. 25.

The website www.collegefootballfrisco.com gives online visitors the opportunity to learn more about Frisco’s hosting effort, and also allows them to pledge their ticket interest should the event be played at the 23,000-seat multi-purpose Pizza Hut Park. Officials in Frisco began the on-line ticket pledge initiative in January. In November, Frisco was chosen by the NCAA as one of two finalist cities for the upcoming national championship contests, and after final presentations on Feb. 25, a decision on the game’s destination should occur in early March.

“We’re very excited to know we’re (Frisco) not the only ones looking forward to the possibility of NCAA Division I Championship Football being played at Pizza Hut Park,” said Frisco Mayor Maher Maso. “Folks from all parts of Texas and all across the country have expressed interest in traveling to Frisco if we’re successful in securing the championship games. We’d be honored to be selected as the host city.”

Team Frisco consists of the City of Frisco, its Economic Development Corporation and Convention & Visitors Bureau, and the Frisco Chamber of Commerce, Hunt Sports Group, LLC/Pizza Hut Park, and the Southland Conference.

Syntax Error
February 18th, 2010, 09:35 PM
No comment about a commissioner of an FCS conference to be partisan lobbying so hard for something like this. It is not a conference issue. It is not a conference or even an FCS town. Is this just a Texas thing? You would think he would be supportive of the decision, however it may work out, for the entire FCS. I've always considered Mr. Burnett to be a supporter of FCS, this puts things in a different light.

TexasTerror
February 18th, 2010, 09:39 PM
No comment about a commissioner of an FCS conference to be partisan lobbying so hard for something like this. It is not a conference issue. It is not a conference or even an FCS town. Is this just a Texas thing? You would think he would be supportive of the decision, however it may work out, for the entire FCS. I've always considered Mr. Burnett to be a supporter of FCS, this puts things in a different light.

He is a supporter of FCS. He is probably one of the staunchest supporters of the subdivision nationally as far as conference commissioners go.

From the sounds of it, he feels the best fit for the game is in Frisco, Texas and would not support this effort personally or with the SLC's backing if it was not.

The people in Frisco and in particular, the SLC office - have experience putting on NCAA championship events. They will sell the game to locals and work with business partners to get out of town fans to the game.

Chattanooga is stale and until they were threatened with losing the game, did they put more than 10k locals in the game. The game has grown stagnant and too reliable on Georgia Southern and Appalachian State making the contest for it to succeed.

Frisco is a new place, a better facility and has plenty of other pieces that will fall into place should the game go there. 20,000 butts in the seats annually! Without need GSU and ASU to do it.

Syntax Error
February 18th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Have you ever been to Chattanooga for a champ game? Ever been to Frisco for an FCS game? What he is doing does not make it right, just suspect. AFAIK, no other commish has ever done this. Not knocking him, just weird.

texcap
February 18th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Have you ever been to Chattanooga for a champ game? Ever been to Frisco for an FCS game? What he is doing does not make it right, just suspect. AFAIK, no other commish has ever done this. Not knocking him, just weird.

I don't think it is weird at all.

Who signs Burnett's paycheck? The SLC.

So his job, no matter what others think is to look out for the best interest of the SLC and their member institutions. I think most people would be hard pressed to argue that Frisco is much better for the SLC and their teams than Chattanooga. I like Chattanooga, having been there for three FCS Championship games, but every last one of the SLC schools would tell you that Frisco is better for their programs. So Mr. Burnett is just doing his job and trying earn his paycheck.

lionsrking2
February 18th, 2010, 11:45 PM

Perhaps that's part of the reason why the NC game has struggled to take hold in Chattanooga and elsewhere. I applaud Tom Burnett, the SLC and the city of Frisco for stepping up to the plate and fighting for this game.

PantherRob82
February 18th, 2010, 11:47 PM
I've been to Chatty and liked it, but whether or not UNI was going, I'd rather go to Frisco.

Syntax Error
February 19th, 2010, 12:00 AM
... every last one of the SLC schools would tell you that Frisco is better for their programs...

Help me understand why this could be true.

How does the location of the D-I Football Championship help an individual school or conference?

It really has nothing to do with anything but the NCAA championship and the city in which it is held.

Frisco has never had an FCS game, is not the home of an FCS team, has never had an NCAA football game period held in their stadium (I think). In fact it is a far suburb of a city(s) that have no FCS teams or NCAA football championships.

The one thing Frisco has is the SLC office.

I know the commish, have shared a dinner table and various other events with him so this is no slam on him. Just a different thing happening.

Syntax Error
February 19th, 2010, 12:05 AM
I've been to Chatty and liked it, but whether or not UNI was going, I'd rather go to Frisco.

You have been to Frisco? A football game in Frisco? An FCS game? An NCAA D-I football tournament game in Frisco? Help me understand why you would rather go to Frisco.

PantherRob82
February 19th, 2010, 01:00 AM
You have been to Frisco? A football game in Frisco? An FCS game? An NCAA D-I football tournament game in Frisco? Help me understand why you would rather go to Frisco.

I think I'd like it more as a destination. Stadium looks suitable. Similar drive time for me. I'd probably enjoy Frisco more than Chatty if UNI wasn't playing.

The App St game in 05 in Chatty was fine, but it wasn't anything that couldn't be better. I would guess the game in Frisco would be similar, if not better. You'd have all of the same pregame festivies and possibly a bit warmer weather.

TexasTerror
February 19th, 2010, 07:30 AM
SE,

You'll just need to come to the realization that all Frisco just needs to prove that there is support from the city and the region. This campaign to get 'pledges' has been a big part of that and initial indications are that is has been successful.

Chattanooga just does not seem - especially publicly - to have the team and organization together to contend with the Frisco bid. If this was a boxing match, we're in round nine and Chattanooga thinks it's over on the scoreboard and is not even attempting to go on the offensive...Frisco is ready to take this thing!

texcap
February 19th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Help me understand why this could be true.

How does the location of the D-I Football Championship help an individual school or conference?

I think you are misreading what my intent with that statement (of course it is just as likely, if not more so, that I did not articulate what I meant very well).

I do not think that the location of the championship game impacts any individual school that is not involved in the game, except possibly a host team like Chattanooga to a small degree. The point that I am trying to make is that if you ask each SLC team, "If you make it to the National Championship game, would you raher play it in Frisco or in Chattanooga?" the answer would be unanimous; Frisco. It is relatively close to all of the schools and would help them to get large numbers of their fans to the game, unlike Chattanooga.

Ask App State fans why they want the game to stay in Chattanooga, and while they may give different reasons in public, the bottom line reason is that it is close to Boone and they know their fans will attend that game well and give the team an advantage.

That is why I say that the SLC commissioner is looking out for his conference and schools by pushing to have the game moved to Frisco.

MplsBison
February 19th, 2010, 03:18 PM

It sounds more exciting than Chattanooga, Tenn.

What else is there to explain?

That they've never hosted an FCS game is not a legitimate reason to keep them from doing so.

Quote the opposite: sounds like desperation from someone who can't explain why they want the game to stay in Chattanooga.

GannonFan
February 19th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I've got no problem with a commissioner of a conference taking a public role in trying to land the national title game in the backyard of his own conference. Actually, it's great to see the enthusiasm for it as well - it's going to need the support of the local area (and I mean the wide local area) for this game to be successful. I'd be more worried if the SLC took a passive stance towards all of this.

Syntax Error
February 19th, 2010, 04:22 PM
It sounds more exciting than Chattanooga, Tenn.
What else is there to explain?
That they've never hosted an FCS game is not a legitimate reason to keep them from doing so.
Quote the opposite: sounds like desperation from someone who can't explain why they want the game to stay in Chattanooga.

It does sound desparate, but from the Frisco end of it. As for "sounds more exciting" ... xlolx xlolx xlolx xrotatehx

Mr. C
February 19th, 2010, 04:28 PM
He is a supporter of FCS. He is probably one of the staunchest supporters of the subdivision nationally as far as conference commissioners go.

From the sounds of it, he feels the best fit for the game is in Frisco, Texas and would not support this effort personally or with the SLC's backing if it was not.

The people in Frisco and in particular, the SLC office - have experience putting on NCAA championship events. They will sell the game to locals and work with business partners to get out of town fans to the game.

Chattanooga is stale and until they were threatened with losing the game, did they put more than 10k locals in the game. The game has grown stagnant and too reliable on Georgia Southern and Appalachian State making the contest for it to succeed.

Frisco is a new place, a better facility and has plenty of other pieces that will fall into place should the game go there. 20,000 butts in the seats annually! Without need GSU and ASU to do it.
You come across as a total Southland homer on this subject. You have been asked SEVERAL times if you have attended a game in Chattanooga and haven't answered. My guess from your comments about Chattanooga being "stale" is an emphatic NO. For those of us who have been going to Chattanooga for years and have been to the championship game annually, we know that the game has shown steady growth. In the early part of the decade the residents didn't have a clue there was a championship game there, but now they embrace it. There has been a noticeable change from about 2004 on that has gotten better every year.

The fact that there was another bid has nothing to do with 10,000 locals showing up this year. That is just a continuation of the grow over the years. Chattanooga doesn't have to do a public relations hype job to win the game and your assumption that their lack of hype shows them as somehow being less than on the offensive is also foolish. They know from dealing with the NCAA how to deal with things in private.

Pledges are not guarantees that 20,000 fans will be there every year. Pledges are pretty meaningless unless the money for tickets is in hand. And with so much of the Frisco bid relying on corporate dollars, what happens if the corporate money dries up in this bad economy?

Tom Burnett is concerned about the best interests of the Southland, nothing more. The real question that needs to be answered is this one: What is in the best interests of FCS as a whole? Personally, I would say it is to keep the game in Chattanooga, but other people have other opinions. What we need is a discussion of the pluses and minuses of the game in Chattanooga vs the game in Frisco, not more hype and not more of the self-serving interests.

MplsBison
February 19th, 2010, 04:38 PM
You come across as a total Southland homer on this subject. You have been asked SEVERAL times if you have attended a game in Chattanooga and haven't answered. My guess from your comments about Chattanooga being "stale" is an emphatic NO. For those of us who have been going to Chattanooga for years and have been to the championship game annually, we know that the game has shown steady growth. In the early part of the decade the residents didn't have a clue there was a championship game there, but now they embrace it. There has been a noticeable change from about 2004 on that has gotten better every year.

The fact that there was another bid has nothing to do with 10,000 locals showing up this year. That is just a continuation of the grow over the years. Chattanooga doesn't have to do a public relations hype job to win the game and your assumption that their lack of hype shows them as somehow being less than on the offensive is also foolish. They know from dealing with the NCAA how to deal with things in private.

Pledges are not guarantees that 20,000 fans will be there every year. Pledges are pretty meaningless unless the money for tickets is in hand. And with so much of the Frisco bid relying on corporate dollars, what happens if the corporate money dries up in this bad economy?

Tom Burnett is concerned about the best interests of the Southland, nothing more. The real question that needs to be answered is this one: What is in the best interests of FCS as a whole? Personally, I would say it is to keep the game in Chattanooga, but other people have other opinions. What we need is a discussion of the pluses and minuses of the game in Chattanooga vs the game in Frisco, not more hype and not more of the self-serving interests.

This seems like a lucid, thoughtful response...until you look over and see "Location: Boone, N.C.".

That's when you realize that it's just another biased diatribe against anything that would take the game out of Chatty and discontinue an easy road trip for App State fans.

I'll trust Delaware fans who advocate keeping the game in Chatty before I'll ever trust a single word from an App State fan who wants to keep the game there. Seriously, App State fans are so hopelessly biased against moving the game that they shouldn't even bother.

Syntax Error
February 19th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I'm for anything that would take the game out of Chatty and discontinue an easy road trip for most FCS fans.

Fixed it for you. ;)

slycat
February 19th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I really hope its in Frisco. Better exposure for FCS. Larger market with the DFW metroplex a stones throw away. The mistake being made is moving the date of the game from December.

Mr. C
February 19th, 2010, 10:09 PM
How is it better exposure when the Dallas Morning News, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and other local newspapers will give it minimal coverage? The Chattanooga Times-Free Press had tons of stories every day, leading up to the championship game and Page One coverage the day following the game. You are not going to see the Morning News do that. The Metroplex-area papers have never shown much interest in FCS. Why would they do so now? I do agree that moving the game to January is a big mistake.

Mr. C
February 19th, 2010, 10:12 PM
This seems like a lucid, thoughtful response...until you look over and see "Location: Boone, N.C.".

That's when you realize that it's just another biased diatribe against anything that would take the game out of Chatty and discontinue an easy road trip for App State fans.

I'll trust Delaware fans who advocate keeping the game in Chatty before I'll ever trust a single word from an App State fan who wants to keep the game there. Seriously, App State fans are so hopelessly biased against moving the game that they shouldn't even bother.

Maybe we can move the game to Minneapolis, so you won't have an excuse for attending when North Dakota State reaches the championship game. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

slycat
February 21st, 2010, 10:22 AM
How is it better exposure when the Dallas Morning News, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and other local newspapers will give it minimal coverage? The Chattanooga Times-Free Press had tons of stories every day, leading up to the championship game and Page One coverage the day following the game. You are not going to see the Morning News do that. The Metroplex-area papers have never shown much interest in FCS. Why would they do so now? I do agree that moving the game to January is a big mistake.

True but the DFW papers have a lot more sports to cover then Chattanooga would. The professional teams will always take front stage. However, a fewer articles in the DFW papers will reach many more readers then a lot of articles in the Chattanooga paper. I don't see any harm in trying it in Frisco and seeing what the outcome is.

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2010, 11:39 AM
The mistake being made is moving the date of the game from December.

xnodx xoopsx xnodx xoopsx

Mr. C
February 21st, 2010, 04:31 PM
True but the DFW papers have a lot more sports to cover then Chattanooga would. The professional teams will always take front stage. However, a fewer articles in the DFW papers will reach many more readers then a lot of articles in the Chattanooga paper. I don't see any harm in trying it in Frisco and seeing what the outcome is.
It won't be just fewer articles, it will be next to zero articles. You will be lucky to see a preview article and one game story. Maybe a column or two if we're lucky. There have been other FCS games in the Metroplex and they have received almost NO coverage. Why do you think the same papers would change now?

chrisattsu
February 21st, 2010, 08:38 PM
It won't be just fewer articles, it will be next to zero articles. You will be lucky to see a preview article and one game story. Maybe a column or two if we're lucky. There have been other FCS games in the Metroplex and they have received almost NO coverage. Why do you think the same papers would change now?

The Dallas Morning News discusses the Harvey Martin Classic, which is a D2 game with really no implication. What makes you think that they wouldn't discuss a national championship game?

MplsBison
February 21st, 2010, 08:57 PM
The Dallas Morning News discusses the Harvey Martin Classic, which is a D2 game with really no implication. What makes you think that they wouldn't discuss a national championship game?

Because he doesn't want the game to leave Chatty?

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2010, 09:01 PM
That is a Texas thing.

Texas A&M University-Commerce and East Central will be playing at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas on October 18. The contest has been named the "Harvey Martin Classic" after the East Texas State and Dallas Cowboy standout.One small mention.

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2010, 09:04 PM

Because you have never been to a D-I championship game, are a newbie to D-I, and you are judgmental and disrespectful to those who may know more? xrulesx xnonox xpeacex

slycat
February 22nd, 2010, 06:02 PM

Star Telegram may do better then the Dallas Morning News. Star Telegram tends to cover UTA (non football) pretty well. I could see the SLC trying to pimp out those writers.

But in the end you are right. FCS coverage will be small and shoved somewhere in the middle.

MaximumBobcat
February 22nd, 2010, 06:41 PM
I like it moving to Frisco because I think the NC game should be moved around from place to place. Chattanooga had it for too long. If I had my druthers, it would be moved every 3-5 years.

Moving the National Championship game exposes a lot more people to the world of FCS than just keeping it in one area (East Coast).

Mr. C
February 22nd, 2010, 08:25 PM

Past performance is a good predictor of future performance. If it isn't the Cotton Bowl, or a game with one of the major Texas schools playing, the Morning News won't be interested.

Mr. C
February 22nd, 2010, 08:30 PM
My preference for the game's location has nothing to do with how much attention the game will received from the Texas media. After more than 30 years in the business, I do know something about the media and the Morning News won't give a rip about the FCS title game. The championship contest would become a little fish in a big sea. You almost have to play the game in an FCS town for it to thrive.

MplsBison
February 22nd, 2010, 09:30 PM
My preference for the game's location has nothing to do with how much attention the game will received from the Texas media. After more than 30 years in the business, I do know something about the media and the Morning News won't give a rip about the FCS title game. The championship contest would become a little fish in a big sea. You almost have to play the game in an FCS town for it to thrive.

Only someone who works in the media would have the gall to imply that attention from the local newspaper is a requisite of the game thriving in a market.

20k average attendance over 5 years and growth in ESPN ratings and I would declare victory, regardless if they even mention the score in the Morning News.

MR. CHICKEN
February 22nd, 2010, 09:51 PM
KEEP IT IN 'NOOGAH....'CUZZ:

1. DUH MOCS....WILL NEVERAH OWN HOMETOWN EDGE.

2. EDGAR HAS RETIRED...DELAWARE WILL GET FAIR SHOT AT TIX.

3. MR. C...CAN COVERAH DUH GAME..FROM HIGH ATOP DUH ROCK..WHIFF UH CHEAP PAIR UH BINOCS.

4. DERE'S....UH TRAIN..&..FISH TANK.

5. PHONE #'s....O' MONTANA GIRLS....IN DUH PORTA-POTTY'S.

6. ENUFF COLGATE PROGRAMS...IN DUH RECYCLE BIN....TA WARM...DUH DOWN-TOWN....DOWN N' OUTS.

7. NO PEE WALL.

8. HOT DAWGS..ARE ACTUALLY HOT!

9. WAFFLE HOUSE CHAIN...ALIVE AN' THRIVIN'.

10. JERRY MOORE BOBBLE-HEADS....AVAILABLE @ EVERAH GAS STATION...xrotatehx...BRAWK!!

Mr. C
February 22nd, 2010, 10:11 PM
Only someone who works in the media would have the gall to imply that attention from the local newspaper is a requisite of the game thriving in a market.

20k average attendance over 5 years and growth in ESPN ratings and I would declare victory, regardless if they even mention the score in the Morning News.

So you're saying media attention isn't important? Just shows how out of touch you are with why the game should stay, or move. The average attendance the past five years in Chattanooga has been almost right at 20,000 per game. Why risk that with a move? Secondly, why would ESPN ratings go up with a move from Chattanooga? The only reason I could think of is that fewer FCS fans would be able to travel to the game.

bluehenbillk
February 22nd, 2010, 10:18 PM
Cmon, you're going to tout Chatty getting about 20k over the past 5 yrs? Doesn't take a brain surgeon to see the AppState effect on that #. When a SoCon team doesn't play in the game the game doesn't draw well, when the SoCon is represented the game draws well, its that simple.

Mr. C
February 22nd, 2010, 10:22 PM
As Joe Friday would say, just the facts ma'am. And BTW, the SoCon usually has a team in the championship game. Also, attendance was pretty good for the Richmond-Montana game in 2008. I don't think 17,000-plus is a bad draw.

MplsBison
February 23rd, 2010, 09:16 AM
So you're saying media attention isn't important? Just shows how out of touch you are with why the game should stay, or move. The average attendance the past five years in Chattanooga has been almost right at 20,000 per game. Why risk that with a move? Secondly, why would ESPN ratings go up with a move from Chattanooga? The only reason I could think of is that fewer FCS fans would be able to travel to the game.

Only because App St had an easy road trip for 3 of the past 5 years.

The 5 years before that? <15k avg attendance.

Will it be any different at Frisco? No one knows until we try.

So the choice is: stagnate at Chatty and accept that attendance will only be high if App State makes the NC game -or- give someone else a shot and see what happens.

Local newspaper coverage is as irrelevant to the game's success as you can get. Do people even read newspapers anymore? Who cares?

danefan
February 23rd, 2010, 09:44 AM
I don't agree with Mpls on many things, but I do agree that local newspaper coverage is irrelevant to the game's success.

Local marketing, on the other hand is important, and by all accounts the SLC and City of Frisco and sponsoprs appear to be willing to do everything in their power to push the game to locals.

Mr. C
February 23rd, 2010, 10:06 AM
Local newspaper coverage is PART of the marketing of the game. A big part of it. Anyone who doesn't think that the work of the Chattanooga Times-Free Press has helped raise the title game's presence in Chattanooga is truly missing the boat. But that is one of many reasons for leaving the game where it is.

And anyone who thinks the game in Chattanooga is STAGNANT needs to actually attend a championship game before making such off-base comments.

blazrdog#1
February 23rd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Here is to hoping it STAYS in Choo-Choo town....scenic views,nice folks and alot to do for everyone!!!!

danefan
February 23rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
Local newspaper coverage is PART of the marketing of the game. A big part of it. Anyone who doesn't think that the work of the Chattanooga Times-Free Press has helped raise the title game's presence in Chattanooga is truly missing the boat. But that is one of many reasons for leaving the game where it is.

And anyone who thinks the game in Chattanooga is STAGNANT needs to actually attend a championship game before making such off-base comments.

I agree that local newspapers are part of the marketing, but the stories written are very very small part which is so small that it becomes irrelevant. If anything, advertising in the local newspapers (or on their website) is more important.

I'd be willing to be that more people will see 1 billboard on Route 30 in Dallas then will ever read an article on the FCS national championship game in the local Chatty paper.

MplsBison
February 23rd, 2010, 01:18 PM

2000 Georgia Southern Montana 27–25 Chattanooga, Tennessee 17,156
2001 Montana Furman 13–6 Chattanooga, Tennessee 12,698
2002 Western Kentucky McNeese State 34–14 Chattanooga, Tennessee 12,360
2003 Delaware Colgate 40–0 Chattanooga, Tennessee 14,281
2004 James Madison Montana 31–21 Chattanooga, Tennessee 16,771
2005 Appalachian State Northern Iowa 21–16 Chattanooga, Tennessee 20,236
2006 Appalachian State Massachusetts 28–17 Chattanooga, Tennessee 22,808
2007 Appalachian State Delaware 49–21 Chattanooga, Tennessee 23,010
2008 Richmond Montana 24–7 Chattanooga, Tennessee 17,823
2009 Villanova Montana 23–21 Chattanooga, Tennessee 14,328

The facts support the obvious conclusion that the game's attendance has stagnated.

MplsBison
February 23rd, 2010, 01:19 PM

Very few if any people who attend the NC game did so because they were reading the paper one day and said "oh wow, the NC game is being played on ___ !".

The paper is irrelevant.

Local TV and radio, yes, you need those. But those are bought and sold.

MR. CHICKEN
February 23rd, 2010, 03:20 PM

The facts support the obvious conclusion that the game's attendance has stagnated.

ATTENDANCE WILL ALWAYS...BE DICTATED....BAH SCHOOLS INVOLVED....PLAY IT ON DUH MOON......HENS/MOUSEKETEERS/GRIZZWOLDS WOOD SHOW!..2003 DELAWARE OWNED FINLEY.....'GATERS....DIDN'T HOLD UP DERE END......2009 'NOVA..DIDN'T EITHER.....W. KENTUCKY/MCNEESE.....SAME-O....HOW CAN YAH EXPECT...JUMBO THRONGS......WHEN......MONTANA...APPY...DELAWARE.. .AVG. 20K+...MOST EVEAH ONE ELSE..CAN'T FILL DERE OWN PARKS...THROUGH-OUT UH REGULAR SEASON...YEAH...LIKE CAL-PIE/NEW HAMPSHIRE.......WOOD DAT CRACK 10K?...xsmhx..BRAWK!

ThompsonThe
February 23rd, 2010, 04:59 PM
Chatty is the better place to hold the national championship game.
Frisco site has the Cotton Bowl being played, the same day, a few miles away.
Probably, at least, 70% of FCS students within some sort of driving range to Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Probably less than 10% of FCS students could drive to Frisco, Texas.

Enough said.
Should stay in Chatty.
So, the NCAA will probably move it.

slycat
February 23rd, 2010, 05:23 PM
I really hope the game happens in Frisco so all the BS arguing will stop At least after its played somewhere else, facts can be used to compare the two locations. IT not like its going to harm anything by moving it. OK Chatty has a yearly cash flow that stops, but as far as FCS football is concerned nothing will change.

Syntax Error
February 23rd, 2010, 05:25 PM
I really hope the game happens in Frisco so all the BS arguing will stop At least after its played somewhere else, facts can be used to compare the two locations. IT not like its going to harm anything by moving it. OK Chatty has a yearly cash flow that stops, but as far as FCS football is concerned nothing will change.

People pursuing their own self interest leads to destruction of all xreadx

McNeese75
February 23rd, 2010, 07:46 PM

xchinscratchx Ummmm and all the touting of Chatty has nothing to do with self interest by Socon, etc posters on here?

Syntax Error
February 23rd, 2010, 08:46 PM
xchinscratchx Ummmm and all the touting of Chatty has nothing to do with self interest by Socon, etc posters on here?

Never said it didn't. I'm for whatever is best for the FCS. I certainly do not see a change for just change sake to be in the best interest but there are other factors at work, not so public ones.

McNeese75
February 23rd, 2010, 09:59 PM
Never said it didn't. I'm for whatever is best for the FCS. I certainly do not see a change for just change sake to be in the best interest but there are other factors at work, not so public ones.

I agree about whatever is best for FCS but we will never know anything unless there is a change.

Syntax Error
February 23rd, 2010, 10:30 PM
I agree about whatever is best for FCS but we will never know anything unless there is a change.

Likewise, we will never know anything if there is. The waters run deep and many things are in the undercurrent. I've been digging and seen some things. Maybe some will be surprised when the announcement comes.

Mr. C
February 24th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Very few if any people who attend the NC game did so because they were reading the paper one day and said "oh wow, the NC game is being played on ___ !".

The paper is irrelevant.

Local TV and radio, yes, you need those. But those are bought and sold.
xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx

And you have a study somewhere that proves this? Any form of media that promotes the game has a direct benefit on attendance. To say otherwise just shows ignorance. The more media exposure, the better.

TexasTerror
February 24th, 2010, 07:27 AM
TEAM FRISCO will be leaving today for Indianapolis...

A team from Frisco leaves today for Indianapolis to make the final pitch on Thursday to the NCAA committee, which will decide whether Frisco or Chattanooga will host the Football Championship Subdivision game for the next three years. Chattanooga has been home to the title game for the past 13 years. Frisco has Pizza Hut Park. At stake is a multimillion dollar boost to the local economy. "I don't play the odds game, but Frisco put the right bid together to show the NCAA that this is the best place to hold the game," said Mayor Maher Maso, who is among those headed north for the big presentation. He said hosting the game here would benefit the entire region, not just Frisco. "We're definitely ready," he said.

http://friscoblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/02/frisco-morning-roundup-for-feb-17.html

UAalum72
February 24th, 2010, 07:55 AM

And you have a study somewhere that proves this? Any form of media that promotes the game has a direct benefit on attendance. To say otherwise just shows ignorance. The more media exposure, the better.
Do you have a study that proves that media helps? No name-calling now, and I tend to agree with you, but unless you've got a study it's just your opinion too.

Around here whenever we complain there's not enough coverage of Albany sports, we're told there's not enough interest, that news managers know what people want, and they'll give us coverage once we get bigger crowds. Chicken-and-egg.

Dallas papers could easily say "When this two-A or whatever you call it gets as many fans as a Longhorns practice, then we'll cover it"

89Hen
February 24th, 2010, 09:40 AM
He is probably one of the staunchest supporters of the subdivision nationally as far as conference commissioners go.
Based on what?

TexasTerror
February 24th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Based on what?

Very active on the FCS football front in terms of the committees he's served on, very vital part of the name change movement from I-AA to FCS and the SLC is one of the few conferences that actually publicize the name of the subdivision adequately...xtwocentsx

MplsBison
February 24th, 2010, 01:21 PM

It's my opinion, and your post is only your opinion. You have no facts either and additionally you're biased since you work for the media.

I would accept the results of a survey of people who attend the game that asked them if reading about the game in a local newspaper affected their decision to come to the game or not (conducted by someone other than newspaper, of course).

Guessing ~95% strongly disagree or disagree.

Mr. C
February 24th, 2010, 04:14 PM
You are the one who was making your statements as fact. My "opinion" is based on over 30 years of professional experience in such matters. What is your opinion based on?

MplsBison
February 24th, 2010, 04:18 PM
You are the one who was making your statements as fact. My "opinion" is based on over 30 years of professional experience in such matters. What is your opinion based on?

Put your money where you big mouth is, C.

Lets get a fair, non-biased survey of NC game attendees to see if reading about the game in the local paper affected their decision to attend the game.

I'm guessing you want no part of that action! xnodx xlolx

Mr. C
February 24th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Be my guest, bucko.

slycat
February 24th, 2010, 05:31 PM

Dang my sigxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx

wb247
February 24th, 2010, 06:34 PM

To me, the facts support the contrary. I only see one SLC school to benefit from the move, on your list. Everyone else on that list is as close or closer to Chatty than to Frisco. If the fans aren't going to make the trip to Chatty, they're not going to go twice as far just because it's different. I highly doubt that the fans of those schools that didn't go to the game made their choice based on an idea that they didn't want to go to Chatty. Even if Frisco can get local support for the game and have a comparable half-full stadium, I'd rather see it half-full of fans with a vested interest in the game rather than half-full with people who are only there to see a game.

MplsBison
February 24th, 2010, 06:59 PM
To me, the facts support the contrary. I only see one SLC school to benefit from the move, on your list. Everyone else on that list is as close or closer to Chatty than to Frisco. If the fans aren't going to make the trip to Chatty, they're not going to go twice as far just because it's different. I highly doubt that the fans of those schools that didn't go to the game made their choice based on an idea that they didn't want to go to Chatty. Even if Frisco can get local support for the game and have a comparable half-full stadium, I'd rather see it half-full of fans with a vested interest in the game rather than half-full with people who are only there to see a game.

For some reason, I feel like the NCAA is not going to side with you that 15k "invested" fans is better than 25k fans "just there to see a game". Just a hunch.

wb247
February 24th, 2010, 07:21 PM
For some reason, I feel like the NCAA is not going to side with you that 15k "invested" fans is better than 25k fans "just there to see a game". Just a hunch.

I would agree with that, but what evidence points to there even being close to 25k in attendance to any recent FCS championship game, even with teams involved within a 4 hour drive? You proudly point to stats that prove that attendance drops off with a direct correlation to the distance which fans must travel. I also agree with that. What I'm saying is that while Frisco may have more "just to see a game" fans, Chatty will have more invested fans. Obviously everything I've said is just an opinion, but where you can even fathom to come up with a 10k disparity in attendance blows my mind. While we're just making up numbers, 10k "invested" plus 5k "just to see a game is better than 10k "just to see a game" and 5k "invested." xtwocentsx

JohnStOnge
February 24th, 2010, 07:26 PM
To me, the facts support the contrary. I only see one SLC school to benefit from the move, on your list. Everyone else on that list is as close or closer to Chatty than to Frisco. .

Missoula, MT, is closer to Frisco than it is to Chattanooga.

wb247
February 24th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Missoula, MT, is closer to Frisco than it is to Chattanooga.

While it may be an over-generalization, I'd put Missoula in the "as close as" category. Technically it's a little closer, but it's still over 1500 miles.

MplsBison
February 24th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I would agree with that, but what evidence points to there even being close to 25k in attendance to any recent FCS championship game, even with teams involved within a 4 hour drive? You proudly point to stats that prove that attendance drops off with a direct correlation to the distance which fans must travel. I also agree with that. What I'm saying is that while Frisco may have more "just to see a game" fans, Chatty will have more invested fans. Obviously everything I've said is just an opinion, but where you can even fathom to come up with a 10k disparity in attendance blows my mind. While we're just making up numbers, 10k "invested" plus 5k "just to see a game is better than 10k "just to see a game" and 5k "invested." xtwocentsx

There is no evidence for Frisco is the modern era. Any data previous to this is irrelevant as a small Tennessee mountain town is not comparable to a large Texas metropolitan city.

Therefore, we truly won't know until we try. It could be 25k every season regardless who plays or it might be 15k like Chatty gets for non ASU years.

Syntax Error
February 25th, 2010, 01:30 AM
There is no evidence for Frisco is the modern era. Any data previous to this is irrelevant as a small Tennessee mountain town is not comparable to a large Texas metropolitan city.

Frisco is not "a large Texas metropolitan city."

chattanoogamocs
February 25th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Any data previous to this is irrelevant as a small Tennessee mountain town is not comparable to a large Texas metropolitan city.

...and Chattanooga is not a small Tennessee mountain town.

Gatlinburg is a small Tennessee mountain town...Chattanooga is in a valley and has a metro population of over 500,000.

chattanoogamocs
February 25th, 2010, 03:17 AM
either way, I will be happy when this is over...these discussions are about as exciting as listening democrats and republicans in Washington.

talk talk talk blah blah blah

McNeese72
February 25th, 2010, 07:44 AM

No, but it is part of a very large metropolitan area.

Doc

MplsBison
February 25th, 2010, 01:56 PM

US Census says Denton and Collins county are in the Dallas Metropolitan area, therefore you are factually wrong. xcoffeex

Syntax Error
February 25th, 2010, 07:07 PM
US Census says Denton and Collins county are in the Dallas Metropolitan area, therefore you are factually wrong. xcoffeex

xblahblahx

Originally Posted by Syntax Error

Tell me again that Frisco is "a large Texas metropolitan city."

xblahblahx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Frisco is a far north suburb of a city, itself is a small town. I know people who live nearby and they call it a small town. No disrespect. It is a highway offramp outside of Dallas. Geez. Never has the D-I champ game been promoted to be in an offramp town. Even in Texas!

MplsBison
February 25th, 2010, 07:55 PM
xblahblahx

xblahblahx

Frisco is a far north suburb of a city, itself is a small town. I know people who live nearby and they call it a small town. No disrespect. It is a highway offramp outside of Dallas. Geez. Never has the D-I champ game been promoted to be in an offramp town. Even in Texas!

Frisco has 100k people living in the city. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/city/collin/frisco/stories/DN-friscopop_25met.ART.Central.Edition1.28566ef.html

And it doesn't matter how biased and hateful you are, the US Census says Frisco is in the Dallas Metropolitan area, so you are wrong. xnodx

Mr. C
February 26th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Someone who gets facts wrong as often as MplsBison ought to overlook the occasional, slight errors of others. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Obviously anyone who thinks Chattanooga is a small, mountain town has never been there.

chrisattsu
February 26th, 2010, 08:47 AM
xblahblahx

xblahblahx

Have you ever been to Dallas/The Metroplex? There are hundreds of cities are "highway offramps outside of Dallas". Traveling back and forth across the city is not a big deal. People throughout the state would travel to Irving just to get to Cowboys stadium. Same with the Burn/FCD.

Texas Motor Speedway is farther away than Frisco, and it still gets a good turn turnout. It is all in how they market the game.

I have family there, and I frequent it several times a year. Frisco itself does have a small town feel, but it has 100,000+ population. Collin County has seen a boom and it is the 7th fastest growing county in the state (out of 254). They are located in a Top-5 media market with two major airports