PDA

View Full Version : I like this quote

DaGriz
December 31st, 2005, 12:20 AM
Last year, '04, running up the score in the playoffs(Montana) was a hot topic. Here is Larry Coker's response of Miami after a fake punt by LSU and fake field goal by LSU late in the game with the game out of reach.

Coker wasn't affected by the trickery.
"They can call whatever play they want to," he said. "It is our job to stop it."
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=253640099&confId=null

I agree, especially in the playoffs. You're supposed to be one of the top teams in the country. Show up or go home. There is no such thing as running up the score when you are playing for a national championship.

December 31st, 2005, 12:28 AM
...There is no such thing as running up the score when you are playing for a national championship.DaGriz, I have thought long and hard about that and you are right. In the playoffs you just keep trying to score as hard as you can until the clock runs out. There are some limits like if you are up by 50 with three minutes left but until then you just keep pouring it on. Only the team with the most points advances...

JSU Fan
December 31st, 2005, 12:47 AM
Mike Sewak might still be the coach at GSU if he'd have kept his foot on the peddle at Texas State.

Out.

MACHIAVELLI
December 31st, 2005, 07:05 AM
Last year, '04, running up the score in the playoffs(Montana) was a hot topic. Here is Larry Coker's response of Miami after a fake punt by LSU and fake field goal by LSU late in the game with the game out of reach.

Coker wasn't affected by the trickery.
"They can call whatever play they want to," he said. "It is our job to stop it."
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=253640099&confId=null

I agree, especially in the playoffs. You're supposed to be one of the top teams in the country. Show up or go home. There is no such thing as running up the score when you are playing for a national championship.

So it is ok only when you are playing for a national championship.

TexasTerror
December 31st, 2005, 07:49 AM
DaGriz, I have thought long and hard about that and you are right. In the playoffs you just keep trying to score as hard as you can until the clock runs out. There are some limits like if you are up by 50 with three minutes left but until then you just keep pouring it on. Only the team with the most points advances...

Ralph, remember what happened to those conservative Eagles of Eastern Washington in the I-AA quarterfinals in 2004?

EAT'EM UP KATS!

JohnStOnge
December 31st, 2005, 08:37 AM
I think in the playoffs there's a point at which you pull in your horns and play to avoid injury...even to backups. I realize that there can be question about when that point is reached but even if you're just being selfish and trying to maximize your chances of winning the title you're better off if you do that.

DaGriz
December 31st, 2005, 10:10 AM
So it is ok only when you are playing for a national championship.

It was okay for LSU yesterday and they weren't playing for a NC. If you want to pour on the points against a conference foe on one of their down years, what goes around comes around. Also, you don't hear a lot of grumblings throughout the year on running up the score until the playoffs.

HiHiYikas
December 31st, 2005, 12:48 PM
There's only one logical conclusion a person can reach after the LSU-Miami game: App State is simply a better team than Miami.
:smiley_wi

ngineer
December 31st, 2005, 12:51 PM
It was okay for LSU yesterday and they weren't playing for a NC. If you want to pour on the points against a conference foe on one of their down years, what goes around comes around. Also, you don't hear a lot of grumblings throughout the year on running up the score until the playoffs.

That fake field goal of LSU's was in the THIRD QUARTER. They were up by about 4 TD's at that point. At that point in the game, a team like Miami is still capable of getting back into it. Now if the score were 40-3 with 5 min. to go in the game, then one has to question the call.

ngineer
December 31st, 2005, 12:53 PM
There's only one logical conclusion a person can reach after the LSU-Miami game: App State is simply a better team than Miami.

Last night, you probably were. On 'any given Saturday'....

Pard4Life
December 31st, 2005, 07:58 PM
DaGriz, I have thought long and hard about that and you are right. In the playoffs you just keep trying to score as hard as you can until the clock runs out. There are some limits like if you are up by 50 with three minutes left but until then you just keep pouring it on. Only the team with the most points advances...

AHEM... :coach: LEHIGH... 2001....

their 2001 11-0 super-team was trouncing 2-8 Lafayette 43-6 or something like that. Very few minutes left, about three I'd say... Lehigh scores to go up nearly 40pts. Then, Lembo elects to go for two-points and they just jam the ball up the middle easily for 2pts... that pissed Tavani off for two years, probably all the players, and fans. That was their 7th win in a row over us no less... but, we know what has happened since then...

blukeys
December 31st, 2005, 09:06 PM
That fake field goal of LSU's was in the THIRD QUARTER. They were up by about 4 TD's at that point. At that point in the game, a team like Miami is still capable of getting back into it. Now if the score were 40-3 with 5 min. to go in the game, then one has to question the call.

Agree with the Lehigh guy. Miami has big play capability and could have gotten back in the game in the 3rd quarter. This is not a big deal. I have not heard any complaints from the Miami contingent.

dirtbag
January 1st, 2006, 01:12 AM
Agree with the Lehigh guy. Miami has big play capability and could have gotten back in the game in the 3rd quarter. This is not a big deal. I have not heard any complaints from the Miami contingent.

Miami's contingent should be more upset about their team totally rolling over than about anything LSU did.

blukeys
January 1st, 2006, 11:15 AM
Miami's contingent should be more upset about their team totally rolling over than about anything LSU did.

I watched the game with my nephew who is a Miami undergrad and that was pretty much his sentiment. He was disgusted with what appeared to be a mailed in effort.

McTailGator
January 1st, 2006, 11:33 AM
I watched the game with my nephew who is a Miami undergrad and that was pretty much his sentiment. He was disgusted with what appeared to be a mailed in effort.

I think it was pretty much a case of LSU putting the peddle to the metal on offense and their foots on Miami's throats for 4 quarters.

Miami does not see much of SEC type of play in the ACC. They have more than capable atheletes. They just aren't used to playing other schools with simular atheltes that play Miami type of opponents all thoughout their conference schedule.

ngineer
January 1st, 2006, 08:55 PM
AHEM... :coach: LEHIGH... 2001....

their 2001 11-0 super-team was trouncing 2-8 Lafayette 43-6 or something like that. Very few minutes left, about three I'd say... Lehigh scores to go up nearly 40pts. Then, Lembo elects to go for two-points and they just jam the ball up the middle easily for 2pts... that pissed Tavani off for two years, probably all the players, and fans. That was their 7th win in a row over us no less... but, we know what has happened since then...

Well, not exactly. The final score was 41-6. But I understand the point. I really don't recall the game, although I was there, as it was a mismatch. If we were ahead 33-6 and scored, the two point conversion results in the final tally. I have no recall whether the two pt. conversion was a topic of discussion afterward by anything in the press, but would agree IF our kicker was not injured then it would be construed as 'rubbing it in,' but I have no recall. Being Lembo's first year, he may have been trying to ingratiate himself with the alumni. I think we can agree that when either school gets other other one 'down' the alums are usually yelling for more. ;)

blukeys
January 1st, 2006, 09:34 PM
I think it was pretty much a case of LSU putting the peddle to the metal on offense and their foots on Miami's throats for 4 quarters.

Miami does not see much of SEC type of play in the ACC. They have more than capable atheletes. They just aren't used to playing other schools with simular atheltes that play Miami type of opponents all thoughout their conference schedule.

There are some dogs in the ACC such as Duke and Wake Forest but overall the ACC is a very good conference. Virginia looked good against Nortwestern and Boston College looked Ok in their bowl game. Miami always gets excellent athletes, the NFL draft shows that, I think Coker has lost control of his team. The melee at the end of that game was a disgrace and should give any Miami fan some pause to think what is happenning on that team.

I was impressed with LSU's talent but it was not superior to Va. Tech or some other ACC teams. Miami needs a tougher task master than Coker.

golionsgo
January 1st, 2006, 11:32 PM
I was impressed with LSU's talent but it was not superior to Va. Tech or some other ACC teams. Miami needs a tougher task master than Coker.

I have to respectfully disagree. The only team in the ACC that comes close to matching LSU's talent level...RIGHT NOW... is Miami. Virginia Tech has similar team speed but they aren't nearly as good in the trenches and don't have the same depth. Neither does Florida State. The ACC is a good league and plenty of depth with the new additions but it's just not the same as the SEC when it comes to physical play and athletes top to bottom.

Kill'em
January 2nd, 2006, 01:29 AM
I can't remember which coach, or which sport that had the phrase "I'll quit trying to score if you'll quit trying to score."

Laserlips
January 2nd, 2006, 08:07 AM
Well, I'll start off the new year by respectfully disagreeing with the majority who have posted on this subject.

Personally I think running up the score ANYTIME in any game anyplace is just not the classy thing to do.

I mean running up the score when the game is obviously won and the only thing accomplished by doing so is to heap further humiliation on the losing team.

I consider all college sports as being contests played by young athletes who are doing the best they can, at their skill level. Contrary to what some fans think it is a game, and while we all enjoy being winners, sooner or later we too get taken to the woodshed. (GSU VS Texas State comes to mind).

Perhaps its just a generational thing. Or, as an old fart I was just brought up with a different mindset than younger folks. I know if my grandson or granddaughter were playing organized sports at any level I wouldn't appreciate an opponent running up the score on them. It just doesn't seem right, and if I were a parent of a player on either side of the ball I wouldn't think too much of a coach who deliberately ran up the score in a game in which the outcome was already decided.

I don't mean a coach should tell his players NOT to score when the other team is overwhelmed, I would just play all of my substitutes to give them playing time, which also allows your first string to avoid possible injury in a contest already decided. I wouldn't be kicking field goals at the last minute to pad the score, nor would I be trying fake field goals and the like.

I think it's just trying to give the losing team a little consideration, which I would appreciate them giving MY team when the roles were reversed.

Not trying to start a flame war with anyone, just wanted to express my thoughts on running up the score.

Best Wishes,

JP

Kill'em
January 3rd, 2006, 02:20 AM
To tell you the truth, I completely agree with you. I hate to see anyone running up the score. Most times it is not neccessary. Our game with TXST was the exception. It gave the message that no lead is safe. We were on our way to a blowout win, instead we got blown out. What was so bad is I think we were still trying to get points and not sit on the lead, just trying to consume some clock. Still I hate seeing teams run it up.

SoCon48
January 3rd, 2006, 05:05 AM
I'm afraid, too, that last night LSU was a lot more than 24 points better than our Apps. Of course Hunter, Lynch and Murrell would have played out of their minds in a big bowl game like that! :hyped:

kalm
January 4th, 2006, 12:49 AM
[QUOTE=TexasTerror]Ralph, remember what happened to those conservative Eagles of Eastern Washington in the I-AA quarterfinals in 2004?

:bawling:

After watching Georgia (SEC autobid) and Auburn, I'm not that impressed with supposed SEC dominance. Quite a bit of parity conference to conference this year. Although I have to admit that bowl games do tend to be a poor representation of deciding who's the better team. I wonder if there's a better way :)

putter
January 4th, 2006, 09:20 AM
To tell you the truth, I completely agree with you. I hate to see anyone running up the score. Most times it is not neccessary. Our game with TXST was the exception. It gave the message that no lead is safe. We were on our way to a blowout win, instead we got blown out. What was so bad is I think we were still trying to get points and not sit on the lead, just trying to consume some clock. Still I hate seeing teams run it up.

Well, you could look at Grambling putting up 80 points this year. Was that justified?

Kill'em
January 4th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Don't misunderstand, I hate teams running up the score. This is why many folks, including myself dislike Steve Spurrier. He was notorious at Florida for throwing bombs late in the game with huge leads. Sometimes, though, teams run their offense and have success against overmatched teams. I don't see that as an issue as long as it isn't the first string. We put up 84 points on an opponent last year but we ran our option offense... and the leading ballcarrier was our 4th string fullback. Was this the case with Grambling? I don't know. I don't know anything about that game.