PDA

View Full Version : CSN: Article on UT-Arlington

TexasTerror
February 17th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Will UT-Arlington examine the football issue this coming year? Will they even get serious about football once again? Or will UT-Arlington continue to get passed up by other programs in the state who are or have added football in the last five years - Incarnate Word, Lamar and UT-San Antonio?

In April 2004, the students at the Southland Conference school threw their support behind a referendum backing the creation of a Division I football program, in addition to women's soccer and women's golf programs.

The support was overwhelming, especially as far as fee votes go – as students voted 2-to-1 to reinstate football and add the other two programs.

Time passed after the vote and on Jan. 20, 2005, university president James D. Spaniolo stated that he would re-examine the issue in five years.

Continue reading... CSN Down South: More Than Five Years Later, Nothing Has Changed at UT-Arlington (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?178-CSN-Down-South-More-Than-Five-Years-Later-Nothing-Has-Changed-at-UT-Arlington)

DFW HOYA
February 17th, 2010, 09:23 AM
UTA leadership has not been visionary over the years--remember, they spent the money to move from Cravens Field to build Maverick Stadium, then jetisoned the program.

The conference issue is important, though--without the SLC, UTA would be marooned among the UTPA and Houston Baptists of the Division I netherworld. One would hope they do not build an overpriced "special events center" and then consider the lead of UNO and Centenary.

TexasTerror
February 17th, 2010, 09:38 AM
The conference issue is important, though--without the SLC, UTA would be marooned among the UTPA and Houston Baptists of the Division I netherworld. One would hope they do not build an overpriced "special events center" and then consider the lead of UNO and Centenary.

Only difference is that UT-Arlington would have the facilities that UTPA and HBU lack.

Perhaps a more regional non-football league can be started. Include schools in the vicinity of major cities that are all accessible to each other - Oral Roberts, Houston Baptist, Missouri-Kansas City, UT-Arlington, Arkansas - Little Rock and Denver.

Is that where UT-Arlington wants to end up?

chrisattsu
February 17th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Will UT-Arlington examine the football issue this coming year? Will they even get serious about football once again? Or will UT-Arlington continue to get passed up by other programs in the state who are or have added football in the last five years - Incarnate Word, Lamar and UT-San Antonio?

Continue reading... CSN Down South: More Than Five Years Later, Nothing Has Changed at UT-Arlington (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?178-CSN-Down-South-More-Than-Five-Years-Later-Nothing-Has-Changed-at-UT-Arlington)

Good article, but the history nerd in me feels compelled to remind the author that it was not was the "Mavericks" that were having all of that success. It was the "Rebels". UTA has changed their mascot more times than their institutional name. The "Grubbs", "The Junior Aggies", "Blue Riders", "Rebels", and finally "Mavericks" (in 1971).

For some reason, I thought the "Shorthorns" was in that list as well, but I couldn't find a record of it.

I wish UTA would bring back football around the time that Tarleton was moving back into the conference. It would give us an opportunity to renew our rivalry with them, and bring back "The Silver Bugle".

My brother was at UTA when the vote passed in 2005. He and his friends want the team so bad, and to this day, it is still a cruel joke.

DFW HOYA
February 17th, 2010, 10:06 AM
]
Perhaps a more regional non-football league can be started. Include schools in the vicinity of major cities that are all accessible to each other - Oral Roberts, Houston Baptist, Missouri-Kansas City, UT-Arlington, Arkansas - Little Rock and Denver.

Throw in Oklahoma City and you've got the Southwest Airlines Conference--except for Denver, all non-stops from Love Field....and no baggage fees for the unis...

centexguy
February 17th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Throw in Oklahoma City and you've got the Southwest Airlines Conference--except for Denver, all non-stops from Love Field....and no baggage fees for the unis...

Texas A&M-Corpus Christi could be in this conference too, except that Southwest Airlines stops in Houston on the way to Corpus.

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2010, 07:23 AM
With an enrollment like this - where's the football?!?!?

ARLINGTON -- Student enrollment at the University of Texas at Arlington jumped 17 percent this fall to 32,956, setting a new record for the campus and likely making it the second-largest institution in the UT system.

"We're very pleased with our growth in enrollment over the last several years," said UT-Arlington President James D. Spaniolo. "We are not only growing in numbers, but also in quality of incoming students."

Spaniolo said almost 30 percent of this year's first-time, full-time freshmen ranked in the top 10 percent of their high school classes. That number surpassed last year's record of 25 percent, he said.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/09/14/2468861/ut-arlington-enrollment-jumps.html#ixzz104T0f2Jy