PDA

View Full Version : Start-Up Talk: Transfers or HS Signees?

TexasTerror
February 15th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I know that discussion of the start-up programs is all the rage nowadays.

In the Southland, we have two with Lamar and UTSA (even though we know the Roadrunners will not play a down in the league - they are still being followed like a hawk based on the ramifications they could have).

Anyhow, what do you feel is the best method in building your program?

Do you go heavily after transfers? Or do you find a nice balance? Or perhaps you sign a heavy amount of high school players?

Lamar - In the first two years, the Cardinals signed upwards of 25 transfers from the JUCO, FBS or FCS ranks. The total represents roughly 50% of their signees over the last two years.

UTSA - The Roadrunners have had just one recruiting class and signed just two transfers on national signing day - one of which was from a Div II and the other from FBS. The transfer total is less than 10% of the players signed to the UTSA program.

What do you think of both examples? Thoughts?

McNeese75
February 15th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I know that discussion of the start-up programs is all the rage nowadays.

In the Southland, we have two with Lamar and UTSA (even though we know the Roadrunners will not play a down in the league - they are still being followed like a hawk based on the ramifications they could have).

Anyhow, what do you feel is the best method in building your program?

Do you go heavily after transfers? Or do you find a nice balance? Or perhaps you sign a heavy amount of high school players?

Lamar - In the first two years, the Cardinals signed upwards of 25 transfers from the JUCO, FBS or FCS ranks. The total represents roughly 50% of their signees over the last two years.

UTSA - The Roadrunners have had just one recruiting class and signed just two transfers on national signing day - one of which was from a Div II and the other from FBS. The transfer total is less than 10% of the players signed to the UTSA program.

What do you think of both examples? Thoughts?

It would seem like you have to pick up transfers to try and balance the team. If you fill up on HS players you will be doing it all over in 4 years or so.

Ronbo
February 16th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I would think Lamar is doing it the only way they can to try and balance the classes.

TexasTerror
February 16th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I would think Lamar is doing it the only way they can to try and balance the classes.

Lamar is doing it so they can be competitive...

They are somewhat running it like a basketball program, loading up on transfers more than any other start-up, hopping into a conference quicker than you'd suspect, playing a much tougher schedule than any other start-up...

tribe_pride
February 16th, 2010, 10:47 AM
TT -

Assume you are starting a program with 60 scholarships and you want to start playing in year 2. If you want a team that will be at least a little bit competitive throughout, you can't waste all of your scholarships on incoming freshman the first 2 years (both years would be considered freshmen in year 2 for football purposes) because then you would have no scholarships to give in later years.

The benefit of taking JUCOs and transfers is that (a) you get guys with experience in the first years of playing football; (b) you can use a large percentage of your scholarships right away; (c) you will have scholarships available for future years; and (d) you won't have too uneven of scholarship classes.

It seems like Lamar is doing it the right way. If you don't mind walkons making up 65-80% of your first football team, I guess you could do it the other way but you may lose out on recruiting some quality guys in later years because your initial years of on the gridiron are so uncompetitive.

TexasTerror
February 16th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Just seems that there is a heavy abundance of JUCO/FBS transfers...

How many transfers did ODU have this past year on their roster? I counted 18, may have been off by one or two one way or another.

Lamar is at 25+ and figure they'll be to 30-35 by the start of their first campaign. Just seems a bit much...

Seven Would Be Nice
February 16th, 2010, 11:32 AM
get as many signees you possibly can and plug the holes with transfers. The first year is going to be the hardest, so you might as well lay a good foundation and not have everything you built in the first two years graduate.

tribe_pride
February 16th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Just seems that there is a heavy abundance of JUCO/FBS transfers...

How many transfers did ODU have this past year on their roster? I counted 18, may have been off by one or two one way or another.

Lamar is at 25+ and figure they'll be to 30-35 by the start of their first campaign. Just seems a bit much...

Ok I can buy that. I thought you wanted them to only have a handful which I don't think makes sense. Agree that 30-35 seems like a lot to me and may set a dangerous precedent.

Ronbo
February 17th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Yes, I would agree if all 30-35 were going to be juniors. But some could be redshirt freshmen and sophomores. Montana got two JC transfers last season that were sophomores and only played one year at JC. Many times we've had redshirt freshmen or sophomore FBS kids come aboard. Lamars incoming transfers might be a mix and include only 20 or so juniors. You have approximately 90 roster spots and a truely balanced team would need to have 18 kids in each of the 5 years of eligibility.

89Hen
February 17th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Both.