PDA

View Full Version : Savannah State - Head Coaching Vacancy

TexasTerror
February 15th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Has Savannah State made any headway with finding a head coach?

Robby Wells resigned from the head coach position (http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4284837) at the end of January.

The Tigers named Julius Dixon their interim coach. Dixon was their DC/DBs coach and he was able to sign 13 in-state players (http://www.ssuathletics.com/news/2010/2/3/FB_0203101239.aspx) on National Signing Day.

Is SSU just going to end up going with Dixon as their head coach or are they going to be able to find someone interested in giving the program some form of respectability?

WileECoyote06
February 15th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Man that situation is a MESS. The former coach has blasted them in some media outlets accusing them of racism.

*smh*

Libertine
February 15th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Savannah State = Can of worms

Do a Google News search of "savannah state football" and see what pops up. The short version is that Wells claims he was forced out because he's white. Further, while Dixon did sign 13 players, there were five more who had previously been recruited by SSU and had committed there that were not given an NLI by the school. The admin claims it's because they're from out-of-state but Wells claims it's because all five kids are white. On top of all that, four current players were arrested on assault charges the day after signing day.

Getting a quality candidate to come in there and deal with that mess may be difficult. Dixon could simply end up with the job by default

TexasTerror
February 15th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Lots of issues going on after following your advice. The players arrested at the start of February and then the ongoing dispute over the firing...

Four SSU Players Arrested at Start of February

Four Savannah State University football players were arrested on charges ranging from battery to aggravated assault. The arrests were made Thursday, February 4, 2010 on the campus of SSU.

Jevontae Jefferson was charged with battery and released the same day on bond. Edward Ndem and Juvaro Goodman were arrested on battery and aggravated assault and remain in the Chatham County jail. Patrick Thomas remains behind bars on the charge of aggravated assault.

Credit: http://www2.wsav.com/sav/sports/local/article/four_savannah_state_footbal_players_arrested/96869/]WSAV-TV
---------------

A copy of the resignation letter

When you and Dr. Flythe unexpectedly called me in off the road from recruiting and we
met on January 19, 2010, and Dr. Flythe stated to me that I would never have the
support of the SSU alumni or reach those individuals because I am White, and that I
would never have the support of the citizens of Savannah, because I am White and my
fiancé is Black, I knew you had already made a decision about my future at SSU. That
evening, I was unable to sleep and was physically ill.

Credit: WSAV-TV (http://www2.wsav.com/sav/sports/local/article/savannah_state_university_responds_to_robby_wells_ resignation_letter/96397/)

JSU02
February 15th, 2010, 05:27 PM
---------------

Credit: WSAV-TV (http://www2.wsav.com/sav/sports/local/article/savannah_state_university_responds_to_robby_wells_ resignation_letter/96397/)[/QUOTE]

D@MN

kdinva
February 15th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Wonder what Shannon Sharpe thinks of his school?xviolinx

g-webb1994
February 15th, 2010, 09:32 PM
If there is a school that needs to drop down to D-2 or NAIA, or just scrap football altogether, it's Savannah State.

Syntax Error
February 15th, 2010, 10:07 PM
xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx
S O - I N C R E D I B L Y - S A D
xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Eaglesrus
February 15th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Wonder what Shannon Sharpe thinks of his school?xviolinx

For a number of years he would have nothing to do with it due to a fued with SSU's last president (the guy who decided they should go to Division I). That had changed with a new administration and he was there when they retired his jersey toward the end of this past season. Don't have a clue what his thoughts would be about the most recent developments.

WestCoastAggie
February 15th, 2010, 11:03 PM
If there is a school that needs to drop down to D-2 or NAIA, or just scrap football altogether, it's Savannah State.

Exactly! xnonono2x

blackcaesar3k5
February 16th, 2010, 02:34 AM
This is perfect opporunity for Savannah State go after coach with experience turning proverbial losers into contenders...

Syntax Error
February 16th, 2010, 06:51 AM

"If there is a school that needs to drop down to D-2 or NAIA, or just scrap football altogether, it's Prairie View A&M." xeekx xeekx

The loser now will later win?

TexasTerror
February 16th, 2010, 08:13 AM
SE,

The difference between PV and SSU is that PV did not have scholarships when they were going through their lengthy losing streak. PV also had a conference.

SSU is a full-scholarship team and lacks a conference. They have awful scheduling across all sports, no programs that have an ounce of success, have lacked proper administrative oversight and the issues continue..

Libertine
February 16th, 2010, 08:29 AM
SE,
SSU is a full-scholarship team...

Not quite. When Wells took over, they were at 27 scholarships and one of the conditions that he put on the school was that they increase those numbers. As of this past signing date, they were up to 44. That's obviously better but they are still woefully behind.

Savannah State does NOT need to drop their program. They have a good fan base but are woefully lacking in administrative support. They change AD's like players change socks which is to say often. In fact, the current AD is actually an interim since Bart Bellairs resigned back in November after just 18 months on the job. Bellairs' predecessor was promoted from within and publicly stated that he didn't want the job when he took it. It showed. When we were there in '06, I saw him nod off in the stands during the game. The history just goes on like that and it's across the board athletically, not just football.

If SSU gave their athletic programs any kind of support at all, they could be something. Not necessarily something great but certainly something better than they are.

mikebigg
February 16th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Not quite. When Wells took over, they were at 27 scholarships and one of the conditions that he put on the school was that they increase those numbers. As of this past signing date, they were up to 44. That's obviously better but they are still woefully behind.

Savannah State does NOT need to drop their program. They have a good fan base but are woefully lacking in administrative support. They change AD's like players change socks which is to say often. In fact, the current AD is actually an interim since Bart Bellairs resigned back in November after just 18 months on the job. Bellairs' predecessor was promoted from within and publicly stated that he didn't want the job when he took it. It showed. When we were there in '06, I saw him nod off in the stands during the game. The history just goes on like that and it's across the board athletically, not just football.

If SSU gave their athletic programs any kind of support at all, they could be something. Not necessarily something great but certainly something better than they are.

Hopefully, they will get in a conference soon and perhaps that will help the situation. I feel for those kids!

JSU02
February 16th, 2010, 09:26 AM
SE,

The difference between PV and SSU is that PV did not have scholarships when they were going through their lengthy losing streak. PV also had a conference.

SSU is a full-scholarship team and lacks a conference. They have awful scheduling across all sports, no programs that have an ounce of success, have lacked proper administrative oversight and the issues continue..

Why didn't PV have scholarships?

mikebigg
February 16th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Why didn't PV have scholarships?

Decision by their Administration at the time to focus all available resources to Academic scholarships.

DFW HOYA
February 16th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Savannah State has had problems for years and not just in football. In the early part of the 2000's, the Tigers went 9-102 in men's basketball.

Still, they should be doing a lot better with 44 scholarships. If Georgetown had 44 scholarships, the sky would be the limit.

WestCoastAggie
February 16th, 2010, 11:40 AM
"If there is a school that needs to drop down to D-2 or NAIA, or just scrap football altogether, it's Prairie View A&M." xeekx xeekx

The loser now will later win?

Not Anymore :p

WestCoastAggie
February 16th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Savannah State has had problems for years and not just in football. In the early part of the 2000's, the Tigers went 9-102 in men's basketball.

Still, they should be doing a lot better with 44 scholarships. If Georgetown had 44 scholarships, the sky would be the limit.

Apples & Oranges DFW. Apples & Oranges.

JSU02
February 16th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Decision by their Administration at the time to focus all available resources to Academic scholarships.

That's a completely respectable reason, but interesting in that if they were that important, why offer any athletic scholarships , or for that matter, why even have an athletic program?xeyebrowx

T-Dog
February 16th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Hopefully, they will get in a conference soon and perhaps that will help the situation. I feel for those kids!

I believe SSU is joining the MEAC soon.

That's a completely respectable reason, but interesting in that if they were that important, why offer any athletic scholarships , or for that matter, why even have an athletic program?xeyebrowx

I bet Hofstra would rather have a non-scholly team than no team at all. xtwocentsx

Sometimes you have to wait for the dawn. PVAM were patient and it looks to have paid off so far. xsmileyclapx

Ivytalk
February 16th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I nominate TexasTerror. That team needs a mitzvah or two!:p

WestCoastAggie
February 16th, 2010, 05:22 PM

It will be a cold day in you know where before that happens!

Syntax Error
February 16th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Not Anymore :p

Yes, that was the point.

Libertine
February 16th, 2010, 09:10 PM

We'll have to re-define the word "soon" for that to be the case. Something more in line with glacial creep.

NSUSPARTAN
February 17th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Savannah St will be in the MEAC. Commish Thomas wants a 10 team league in football so he split the league into a north & south. He needs a southern team to put in with FAMU, BCU, & SCST.

msusig
February 17th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Lots of issues going on after following your advice. The players arrested at the start of February and then the ongoing dispute over the firing...

Four SSU Players Arrested at Start of February

Credit: http://www2.wsav.com/sav/sports/local/article/four_savannah_state_footbal_players_arrested/96869/]WSAV-TV
---------------

Credit: WSAV-TV (http://www2.wsav.com/sav/sports/local/article/savannah_state_university_responds_to_robby_wells_ resignation_letter/96397/)

So I wonder how long it will take for the coach to sue SSU?

WestCoastAggie
February 17th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Savannah St will be in the MEAC. Commish Thomas wants a 10 team league in football so he split the league into a north & south. He needs a southern team to put in with FAMU, BCU, & SCST.

The MEAC is a 10 team conference already. NCCU is in the MEAC as of July 2010 and will be able to compete for a MEAC title in football in 2011.

BTW: DENNIS THOMAS IS AN IDIOT and will be an even bigger one if he pushes for SSU into the MEAC after this.

DFW HOYA
February 17th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I think the word has already gone out to SSU that the MEAC is not interested and while it's the exception, SSU should look beyond the HBCUs at a league like the Big South or Atlantic Sun.

bosshogg
February 17th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I think the word has already gone out to SSU that the MEAC is not interested and while it's the exception, SSU should look beyond the HBCUs at a league like the Big South or Atlantic Sun.

If the MEAC is not gonna take SSU, I highly doubt that the Big South or Atlantic Sun would either.

SSU needs to isht or get off the pot. Either confirm they are in the MEAC, or move down to D-2.

eaglesrthe1
February 18th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Sadly, 5th player in the slammer.

http://savannahnow.com/latest-news/2010-02-18/fifth-savannah-state-football-player-arrested-connection-fight

Libertine
February 19th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I can see SSU getting into the MEAC if -- and only if -- someone in that conference leaves. I would say that there's no chance of SSU getting into the Big South but I wouldn't have thought the Big South would bring Campbell back either.

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Dixon is still hoping to lose the interim tag...

Julius Dixon has been in charge of Savannah State University's football program since Jan. 28, the day Robby Wells was forced to resign and interim athletics director Marilynn Suggs appointed Dixon interim head coach.

Dixon, SSU's defensive coordinator the past two seasons, began preseason training camp Saturday with the interim tag still in his title. He also is listed in the Tigers' 2010 media guide as interim.

It's an awkward position for Dixon, but the 43-year-old Toccoa native said he is confident he has the support of SSU's administration.

"In this transition phase into the (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference), there were several requirements placed, football-wise, that had to take place," Dixon said Sunday during SSU's annual Media Day at Tiger Arena. "It's really been a busy process for a lot of different people to make this transition work a little smoother.

http://savannahnow.com/sports/2010-08-09/ssus-dixon-hopes-lose-interim-tag