PDA

View Full Version : NCCU Announces 10-Game 2010 Slate

TexasTerror
February 14th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Here we go again with school(s) having problems putting 11 game schedules together. Last year was relatively embarrassing with how many schools went with less than 11 with one - Prairie View - having just nine regular season games. Hopefully, there is plenty of time left for NCCU to adjust this...

Credit: NCCU Athletics (http://nccueaglepride.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021110aab.html)

9/2 Johnson C. Smith
9/11 Winston Salem St
9/18 @ Appalachian St
9/25 NC A&T
10/9 Hampton
10/16 @Georgia St (Georgia Dome)
10/23 Bethune-Cookman
10/30 Edward Waters
11/6 @Delaware St
11/13 @Savannah St

Two sub-Div I opponents (EWU, JCS).

Six home games.

They don't even leave North Carolina until Oct. 16 against Georgia State and leave the state twice PERIOD.

WileECoyote06
February 14th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Here we go again with school(s) having problems putting 11 game schedules together. Last year was relatively embarrassing with how many schools went with less than 11 with one - Prairie View - having just nine regular season games. Hopefully, there is plenty of time left for NCCU to adjust this...

Credit: NCCU Athletics (http://nccueaglepride.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021110aab.html)

9/2 Johnson C. Smith
9/11 Winston Salem St
9/18 @ Appalachian St
9/25 NC A&T
10/9 Hampton
10/16 @Georgia St (Georgia Dome)
10/23 Bethune-Cookman
10/30 Edward Waters
11/6 @Delaware St
11/13 @Savannah St

Two sub-Div I opponents (EWU, JCS).

Six home games.

They don't even leave North Carolina until Oct. 16 against Georgia State and leave the state twice PERIOD.

We had an 11th game against another MEAC school; who decided to pursue another game.

It happens; and until we are championship eligible and in the MEAC in 2011 we have to deal with scheduling issues.

As far as not leaving NC, last year we played @ Hampton, @ Liberty, @ ODU, @ A & T, @ WSSU, and in 2008 we played @ CCSU, @ Cal Poly, @ JMU, @ Coastal Carolina, and @ Presbyterian.

Our football team has traveled enough. As a season ticket holder and a booster, I feel we deserve to get as many home and in-state games as possible.

TexasTerror
February 14th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Staying in NC as much as you do is not a bad thing, it was just a relevant issue.

The biggest issue is the lack of an 11th game. It is not mid-February and there is no mention in the article (unless I overlooked it) as it relates to getting an 11th game.

If this was even mid-March, I'd say that you were dealt the cards you were. I know how it goes - SHSU was screwed by Prairie View in April last year, leaving us in a very late bind. All we could find was a sub-Div I team, but at least we got an 11th game!

You still got time to find an 11th game, hope NCCU is doing the right thing and trying to find one. Guess being the MEAC will solve your school's programs since they have a similar "scheduling boost" that the SWAC has as far as filling most of the slate.

WileECoyote06
February 14th, 2010, 12:55 PM
At this point, we would not be able to find a late game against an FCS opponent. Division II and NAIA teams will be firmly in the playoffs. No team with any serious aspirations will schedule a game after the start of their playoffs.

We could seek a team to fill in our open date, but that would give our team eleven straight games which is not a preferable option.

JCSU is a former division rival from our old conference. Technically we have three sub-DI opponents, since WSSU is returning to the CIAA.

TexasTerror
February 14th, 2010, 01:04 PM
At this point, we would not be able to find a late game against an FCS opponent. Division II and NAIA teams will be firmly in the playoffs. No team with any serious aspirations will schedule a game after the start of their playoffs.

WileE, your schedule shows openings on OCTOBER 2 and NOVEMBER 20.

I can assure you that there are quite a few teams with openings on October 2nd at this point in the game - whether FCS or FBS. You are right about November 20, but the October date should be good to go.

We could seek a team to fill in our open date, but that would give our team eleven straight games which is not a preferable option.

It's more about finances.

Since you are not able to compete for a championship, your school could get some more $$$ by playing another game, especially if it is an FBS school or a game that could net you money (home or away) against an FBS. It's all about dollars and cents.

JCSU is a former division rival from our old conference. Technically we have three sub-DI opponents, since WSSU is returning to the CIAA.

That's true on WSSU.

Hope your schedule improves in the future, which I am guessing it will by having conference affiliation.

nwFL Griz
February 14th, 2010, 06:01 PM
As was mentioned on a similar thread on cs.com, CCSU may be an option for NCCU. There really isn't much available as far as FBS teams go.

TexasTerror
February 14th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Football Scoop has a list of teams with open dates. Some of these schools have since filled the dates - including all SLC schools listed - but perhaps a few of these schools have openings...

http://www.footballscoop.com/?page_id=62

nwFL Griz
February 14th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Football Scoop has a list of teams with open dates. Some of these schools have since filled the dates - including all SLC schools listed - but perhaps a few of these schools have openings...

http://www.footballscoop.com/?page_id=62

I have routinely found this site to be highly unreliable. I mean, they still list Iona for crying out loud. (True, they do have an open date on Oct 9, as the site says, but only because they don't exist anymore.)

TexasTerror
February 14th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I have routinely found this site to be highly unreliable. I mean, they still list Iona for crying out loud. (True, they do have an open date on Oct 9, as the site says, but only because they don't exist anymore.)

I do not think schools (or coaches) properly contact the site when their open dates are handled.

The 2011 list is probably accurate as of now, but that could change as well. Fact remains, until Football Scoop gets the coaches and schools to inform them of the open dates being filled, it won't be a correct listing.

WileECoyote06
February 15th, 2010, 07:20 AM
We played CCSU before in Connecticut. It was their best attended game ever. I'm certainly not the AD, but I have no desire to go back there. If they are willing to travel to NC, then maybe they can come on down.

However as I stated before, I don't think our AD wants our team to play eleven straight games.
I've been told that A & T will return to the last game of the season in 2011, as they are our fiercest rival.