PDA

View Full Version : former Hofstra OC.....

CFBfan
February 13th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Georgetown has hired Hofstra's former OC, Dave Patenaude. Does anyone have any input on him? ?

Bogus Megapardus
February 13th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Georgetown has hired Hofstra's former OC, Dave Patenaude. Does anyone have any input on him? ?

DFW HOYA no doubt will have some information. I think he was at Holy Cross before.

Uncle Buck
February 17th, 2010, 10:48 AM
He's absolutely terrible. Unimaginitive and vanilla playcalling that is so predictable it's amazing the guy is still working. Maybe he'll fair better at Georgetown, but in the CAA, he was in over his head and consistently outcoached.

DFW HOYA
February 17th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Nothing is official until Georgetown says so, esp. with no athletic director on board since last April.

The Internet has jumped the gun on GU coaching hires before...

http://www.fanblogs.com/patriot/006348.php

CFBfan
February 17th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Nothing is official until Georgetown says so, esp. with no athletic director on board since last April.

The Internet has jumped the gun on GU coaching hires before...

http://www.fanblogs.com/patriot/006348.php

based on "Uncle Bucks" feedback i sure hope that you are right DFW.last week Kelly told the players that this was "95% certain"

RichH2
February 17th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Perchance he will be a better HC than OC. Cant imagine coaches were breaking down the door to babysit program in a death spiral

DFW HOYA
February 17th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Cant imagine coaches were breaking down the door to babysit program in a death spiral

"Death spiral"? Gee, thanks for the support, PL fans!

There are a fair number of Georgetown constituents that are sitting on the sidelines at 0-11 and waiting for change to magically appear. You can either wait for things, or you help get the program ready and able for the future. I choose the latter.

CFBfan
February 17th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Perchance he will be a better HC than OC. Cant imagine coaches were breaking down the door to babysit program in a death spiral

he is not coming in as the HC he is coming in (if he does come) as the OC.....

Lehigh Football Nation
February 17th, 2010, 03:06 PM
He's been at both Holy Cross and Fordham, as well as Hofstra and Columbia. I don't know about his play-calling abilities but he seems to know the Northeast like the back of his hand.

CFBfan
February 17th, 2010, 03:21 PM
He's been at both Holy Cross and Fordham, as well as Hofstra and Columbia. I don't know about his play-calling abilities but he seems to know the Northeast like the back of his hand.

hopefuly "he's better than the last guy" is not the only positive with him!

RichH2
February 17th, 2010, 05:45 PM
DFW, I am perhaps more in favor of GU football than GU is. I would love to support GU and have in the past but do not ask me to ignore reality. Until such time as GU will or can support the program, it will wallow at the bottom of the PL. I wish GU was more competitive but it is not nor does it appear that any effort will be made to make it so at least any time soon. An untenable and certainly unfortunate situation for which I see no solution yet

DFW HOYA
February 17th, 2010, 09:25 PM
DFW, I am perhaps more in favor of GU football than GU is. I would love to support GU and have in the past but do not ask me to ignore reality. Until such time as GU will or can support the program, it will wallow at the bottom of the PL. I wish GU was more competitive but it is not nor does it appear that any effort will be made to make it so at least any time soon. An untenable and certainly unfortunate situation for which I see no solution yet

Mere support isn't the magic answer--if so, Fordham would have risen to the top years ago and stayed there. Georgetown has 1) struggled to recruit and admit through the gilded cage that is the Patriot League to secure the talent necessary to compete, 2) unable to build the depth with which to develop, and 3) unable to execute a consistent offensive strategy that allows it to even be competitive. If Georgetown had a $3 million budget, it still wouldn't have changed the record before these three factors can be addressed.

How this team went from 4-4, 2-2 in the PL in mid-October 2005 to a 0-11 team within four years is for another discussion, but rest assured the on-field performance does not go by unnoticed at Georgetown. Absent an athletic director, those issues are put aside for now.

CFBfan
February 17th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Mere support isn't the magic answer--if so, Fordham would have risen to the top years ago and stayed there. Georgetown has 1) struggled to recruit and admit through the gilded cage that is the Patriot League to secure the talent necessary to compete, 2) unable to build the depth with which to develop, and 3) unable to execute a consistent offensive strategy that allows it to even be competitive. If Georgetown had a $3 million budget, it still wouldn't have changed the record before these three factors can be addressed.

How this team went from 4-4, 2-2 in the PL in mid-October 2005 to a 0-11 team within four years is for another discussion, but rest assured the on-field performance does not go by unnoticed at Georgetown. Absent an athletic director, those issues are put aside for now.

so you would now assume for a number of reasons there will be no coaching change for the 2010 season but reason would say that a new AD (hopefuly named sooner rather than later) will clean house after 2010 season and try to breath some life into the program.....I think??

Lehigh Football Nation
February 18th, 2010, 09:04 AM

While somewhat true, Georgetown considering 1) the Hoyas are at times recruiting with one hand tied behind their backs.

Harvard wins the battles for the same football recruits Georgetown is going after simple because their massive endowment allows them to get kids whose family income is under $120,000 to come for free. I'm not saying Lehigh, Lafayette or Colgate wins those head-to-head battles consistently either, but we do win some of the battles against Princeton and Penn. Georgetown needs to at least be in the ball game with those kids.

Also, Georgetown doesn't have a local pipeline of recruits that consider DC first like PA and NJ kids consider LU and LC. More so than the Lehigh Valley schools, Georgetown needs to recruit on a national, Harvard-like level. That matters.

Uncle Buck
February 18th, 2010, 02:55 PM

He was also the head coach for two years a New Haven when they were cancelled.

Bull Fan
February 21st, 2010, 09:23 AM
You can look forward to many Saturdays screaming for your offense to get away from predictability. It became an embarrassment for Hofstra the last couple of years.

You can 'know' the northeast like the back of your hand for recruiting purposes, but more importantly at the end of the day, opposing defenses will 'know' your play-calling trends like the back of theirs....

DFW HOYA
February 21st, 2010, 02:36 PM
You can look forward to many Saturdays screaming for your offense to get away from predictability. It became an embarrassment for Hofstra the last couple of years.

The Jim Miceli offense was so predictable fans were guessing the plays in the stands.

But, let's give Miceli credit--he's lined up at a I-A school now. The remaining Georgetown coaches are going to be in a difficult situation next year, as a new athletic director will (hopefully) be on board by the fall and with a clear mandate to get the program going again. And for a team which has won five of its last 43 games, predictability only goes so far.

CFBfan
February 21st, 2010, 03:00 PM

You can 'know' the northeast like the back of your hand for recruiting purposes, but more importantly at the end of the day, opposing defenses will 'know' your play-calling trends like the back of theirs....

I suppose that when a struggling program with a Coaching staff, at least the HC is on the brink of losing his job needs an OC and theres an OC out there with no job you get this less than made in heaven marriage.....seems a lot like a marriage of convienience.

DFW HOYA
February 21st, 2010, 03:45 PM
I suppose that when a struggling program with a Coaching staff, at least the HC is on the brink of losing his job needs an OC and theres an OC out there with no job you get this less than made in heaven marriage.....seems a lot like a marriage of convienience.

Such is the life of an assistant coach. Before Georgetown, Kevin Kelly had been an assistant at Southern Connecticut, Syracuse, Northeastern, Dartmouth, Tulane, Marshall, Bowdoin, back to Syracuse, back to Marshall, and Navy.

And, as a point of comparison, the only other publicly disclosed canndidate for the job in 2005, Wisconsin OC Brian White, has now been an assistant at three different schools in the past four years (Syracuse, Washington, and now Florida). You go where the jobs are.