PDA

View Full Version : 2010 HBCU Recruiting Rankings

TexasTerror
February 13th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Top 10 HBCU recruiting classes per Box to Row.com (http://boxtorow.com/recruitingclass.php). I saw another recruiting ranking that had Southern really high up there despite the late arrival of head coach Stump Mitchell. In this one, Southern is not even top 11...

Rankings

1. South Carolina State
2. Prairie View A&M
3. Florida A&M
3. North Carolina A&T
4. Bethune-Cookman
5. Hampton
6. Grambling State
7. Jackson State
8. Norfolk State
9. Morgan State
10. Tie: Alabama State/Arkansas-Pine Bluff

WestCoastAggie
February 13th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Yet more respect for General Lee's and his staff's hard work recruiting. Truly a great coach, recruiter & motivator.

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 13th, 2010, 10:13 AM
RANKINGS BY Tighteye from Meacfans zone

More detailed

#10 Prairie View A&M University (21.3 points)
Signees: 20
Biggest Grab: Keith Hutchins S 5-11, 180 Upland HS, Upland, CA ***
Sleeper: Chris Barrick K 6-4, 180 Copperas Cove HS, Copperas Cove, TX
One that got away: Mason Hayes RB 5-8, 205 Cedar Hill HS, Cedar Hill ** Signed w/ Northwestern State
Early impact: JaMichael Rozier RB 5-8, 170 Collins HS, Klein, Texas **

Comment:
I thought that the Panthers would dominate the second tier recruiting efforts in the Houston area .Instead all the Panthers did was travel the entire nation to garner a top 10 recruiting class. I’m ultimately impressed by Frazier’s tenacity and recruiting skills. If you think he’s resting on his laurels us must be joking.

Grade: C-

#9 Grambling State University (21.3 points)
Signees: 15
Biggest Grab: Anthony Carrothers QB 5-8, 175 Independence HS, Charlotte, NC **
Sleeper: Frank Rivers QB 6-4, 190 Fairfield HS, Fairfield, AL
One that got away: Robert Kearney DT 6-4, 290 Chatham, VA (Hargrave Military Academy) *** Signed w/ Kent State
Early impact: Gaither Madison DB 6-0, 190 Williamson HS, Mobile, AL ***

Comment:
Coach Broadway and company may have sealed up multiple SWAC titles with the signing of QB Anthony Carrothers. This kid put up all world numbers at an all world program that averages five plus FBS signees a year. When you add that a potential impact receiver in Bridgewater and the boys from Williamson HS. You have a the ingredients for victories.

#8 Morgan State University (21.4 points)
Signees: 22
Biggest Grab: Mike Dallas LB 6-0, 195 Palmetto HS, Miami FL ***
Sleeper: Devonte Lindsey QB 6-4, 220 Suitland HS, Bowie, MD
One that got away: Chris Sharpe CB 5-11 175 Stephenson HS (GA) *** Signed w/ MTSU
Early impact: Jerel Coles, WR 6-0 190, Gwynn Park HS, Upper Marlboro, MD **

Comment:
Golden Bear faithful have been wonder when are we getting the breakthrough? Well, it seems like more of the same after looking at this class. What’s the same you might ask? Well, Morgan signed great defenders but no explosive athletes on offense. Then you might ask, What’s different? I would say the overall quality of the class. It’s way above where it usually is among HBCU’s. Also, I would note that all the Morganites need to do is find that missing spark in this class to make hibernation in Baltimore a little more BEARable.

#7 Southern University (21.9 points)
Signees: 34
Biggest Grab: Chris Little OL 6-6, 350 Twiggs County HS, Macon, GA (NW Mississippi CC) ***
Sleeper: Darius Deloach RB 5-10, 200 Dunbar HS, Ft. Myers, FL
One that got away: Taurean Nixon DB 6-1, 188 Southern Lab HS, Baton Rouge, LA *** Signed w/ Memphis
Early impact: Javon Allen LB 5-11, 205 Edna Karr HS, New Orleans, LA **

Comment:
The purge is on in Red Stick. I’m, stumped by the amount of recruits that have signed in the class of 2010. Nevertheless, the Jaguars have made a statement to the remainder of the SWAC and possibly all FCS HBCU’s that they plan on winning. It all starts with big time tackle Chris Little. He will be a force from day one in the conference. Although I’m disappointed with the lack of quality skill positions in this class. Coach Mitchell picked up a difference make at QB to replace Lee as well a strong group of o line recruits. Now I’ll play wait and see to discover if Mitchell can bring it all together.

#6 Tennessee State University (27.3 points)
Biggest Grab: Michael German QB 6-2½, 210 Blanche Ely HS, Pompano Beach, FL ***
Sleeper: Bryce Wilson DB 6-0, 190 Canterbury School of FL, St. Petersburg, FL
One that got away: Orleans Darkwa RB 5-11, 200 Nashville, TN *** Signed w/ Tulane
Early impact: Romario Cathey DL 6-3½, 300 Maplewood HS, Nashville, TN (Texas Tech) ***

Comment:
Coach Reed has a lot to prove after James Webster left the program under a cloud and an upset victory over Eastern Illinois. Reed is one of us and he did not disappoint with his first class. The acquisition of Michael German may be a sign of things to come on the Cumberland Plateau. Yet my favorite punch in the gut is his coup on signing day of purloining massive offensive lineman Brandon Rogers from those hated Rattlers. Keep up the good work Coach Reed you have my support!

Grade: C+

#5 Bethune-Cookman University (27.8 points)
Signees: 21
Biggest Grab: Tony Wilson WR 5-11, 196 Mainland HS, Daytona Beach, FL (Georgia) ****
Sleeper: Angelo Cabrera RB 5-10, 175 Dunnellon HS, Dunnellon, FL
One that got away: Dominique Roberts RB 6-1, 205 Seabreeze High, Daytona Beach, FL ** Signed w/ Alabama State
Early impact: Dion Hanks CB 5-10, 180 Edison HS, Miami, FL *** & Tim Smith ATH 6-2, 192 Fort Pierce Central HS, Fort Pierce, FL ***

Comment:
I really lover this new coach. He brought in a new culture into the Wildcat den. He’s proven he can bring in big time transfers (Wilson). He proven he can bring in quality freshmen (Burke, Corbett, Hanks & Smith). Now, all he has to do is win. That’s a tall task when every Bulldog, Rattler Aggie and Pirate all hat the same precious.

Grade: C+

#4 South Carolina State University (33 points)
Signees: 23
Biggest Grab: Kendrick Frazier DE 6-3, 250 Denmark Olar HS, Denmark, SC ***
Sleeper: D’twane Fulmer WR 6-3, 195 Huner-Kinard-Tyler HS, Neeses, SC
One that got away: Farrington Huguenin DE 6-4 230 Dreher HS (SC) Signed w/ Kentucky
Early impact: Antuawn Blue ATH 6-0, 175 Dillon HS, Dillon,SC or ***Charles Brown ATH 5-10, 198 St. John's College HS, Washington, D.C. **

Comment:
Coach Pough and crew had done it again. This class doesn’t center around the three late three star additions in this class. It even doesn’t focus on the two future ALL MEAC DE’s (Frazier & Funderburk). The focus is on the B&B Express (Blue & Brown). The young men will bring excitement and attention to a veteran SCSU offense due to their star power potential. BTW, no body…I mean no body does it better than Buddy Pough in replacing and improving on talent.

Grade: B

#3 Florida A&M University (33.3 points)
Signees: 22
Biggest Grab: Willie Ferrell LB 6-2, 235 FAMU HS, Tallassee, FL (Mississippi) ***
Sleeper: Dennis Hall WR 5-9, 166 Pahokee HS, Pahokee, FL
One that got away: Khari Burke CB 5-10 164 South Plantation HS (FL) Signed w/ MTSU
Early impact: James Poe TE/FB 6-4, 237 Freedom HS, Orlando, FL (Central Florida) ***

Comment:
The stalwart Joe Taylor is the one of the best in challenging for the MEAC title. In 2009 FAMU relied heavily on the Pulley led offense and big plays from LeRoy “Mini” Vann. In 2010, the rattler venom will originate from it defense centered on former SEC signee Willie Ferrell as the heart and or the unit. The Rattlers pick key needs in the OL and defensive side. I expect the snakes to be in the mix again but it may be the year of the snake in 2011.

Grade: B

#2 Hampton University (37.1 points)
Biggest Grab: NuKeese Richardson WR 5-9, 151 Pahokee HS, Pahokee, FL (Tennessee) ****
Sleeper: Andre Griffin WR 6-1, 175 Phoebus HS, Hampton, VA
One that got away: Johnathan Ragoo OL 6-7, 342 Monsignor Pace HS, Opa Locka, FL Signed w/ Minnesota
Early impact: Lorenzo Shinhoster WR 5-7, 170 Miami Northwestern HS, Miami, FL **
Comment:
How many people in general public actually know who Hampton's football coach is these days. Well, the average folk my not know but several high profile players and coaches know. The Pirates with this class will be my bounce back MEAC team of the year. Thinking about Hampton's potential in the near future shivers me timbers.

Grade: B+

#1 North Carolina A&T State University (53.7 points)
Signees: 19
Biggest Grab: C. J. Frederick RB 5-9, 190 West Johnston HS, Benson, NC ***
Sleeper: Braddie Ellison TE 6-2, 238 Nature Coast HS, Brooksville, FL
One that got away: Jerome Davis DT 6-2, 255 Buford HS, Buford, GA *** Signed w/ Kent State
Early impact: William Robinson III OL 6-4, 290 Riverdale Baptist HS, Clinton, MD ***

Comment:
According to sources, Coach Lee and staff put in major miles to get this class (and it shows). IMO, this is the best recruiting class from top to bottom and overall best HBCU football recruiting class. Also, it may be the best HBCU recruiting class of the modern era challenging Hampton’s Class of 2003 as best all time. Keep in mind, this class sandwiched between an 8 win season and a similar class in 2010 will make Sherman’s march to sea seem like a Sunday stroll compared to the devastation that the General and his Aggie’s will do to the MEAC in the near future.

Grade: A+

2010 MEAC Recruiting Class Rankings
10. North Carolina Central 5.1
09. Norfolk State 5.4
08. Howard 10.3
07. Delaware State 15.9
06. Morgan State 21.4
05. Bethune-Cookman 27.7
04. South Carolina State 33
03. Florida A&M 33.3
02. Hampton 37.1
01. North Carolina A&T 53.7

2010 SWAC Recruiting Class Rankings
10. Mississippi Valley State 0.0
09. Alabama A&M 0.0
08. Texas Southern 5.4
07. Alcorn State 10.6
06. Arkansas-Pine Bluff 11.0
05. Jackson State 16.1
04. Alabama State 21.1
03. Prairie View A&M 21.3
02. Grambling State 21.3
01. Southern 21.9

http://meacfanszone.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sz&action=display&thread=1658

superman7515
February 13th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I mean no disrespect when I say this, but how does Delaware State not do better? There isn't any other HBCU as far north and east as them, so I've never understood why they aren't able to do well in PA/NJ/NY. I'm not saying that I expect them to go in and snag a 5 star recruit from Penn State, Rutgers, or Syracuse but there have got to be good players in the area that are either borderline FBS level or slightly below that could do better for DelState than their classes have shown in the past.