PDA

View Full Version : FCS Stadium Ruled Unsafe, Serious Structural Problems

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Never a good thing. Safety should always be a priority and I am sure that Mississippi Valley State will get their act together at a cost of $1.75M...

Mississippi Valley State University is seeking a second opinion on an engineer’s report of serious structural problems at the school’s football stadium in Itta Bena.

W.L Burle Engineers P.A. of Greenville says that most of the east side stands at Rice-Totten Stadium are unsafe and should be replaced. The report estimates the replacement cost at $1.75 million.

The Commonwealth obtained the report Thursday in a public records request.

Credit: Greenwood Commonwealth (http://www.gwcommonwealth.com/articles/2010/02/12/news/top_stories/02122010news01.txt)

DKHardee
February 12th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Im sure Jerry Rice will help out in some way.

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 13th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Never a good thing. Safety should always be a priority and I am sure that Mississippi Valley State will get their act together at a cost of $1.75M...

Credit: Greenwood Commonwealth (http://www.gwcommonwealth.com/articles/2010/02/12/news/top_stories/02122010news01.txt)

You mean the state of miss get their act together and properly fund Valley. smh.

TexasTerror
February 13th, 2010, 08:32 AM
You mean the state of miss get their act together and properly fund Valley. smh.

Is it really the state's responsibility to properly fund an athletic department though, particularly the facilities?

I do not think it is, especially when the state is dead last or near the bottom in funding higher education. They obviously have far greater problems to deal with and the state will need to worry more about funding the academic side of things, since that is a major shortcoming.

JSU02
February 13th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I wonder if this will help the pro-consolidation faction in Mississippi? 2,500 students sounds a little too small for D-I unless you are a private school. Same goes for Alcorn at 3,250.

TexasTerror
February 13th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I wonder if this will help the pro-consolidation faction in Mississippi? 2,500 students sounds a little too small for D-I unless you are a private school. Same goes for Alcorn at 3,250.

Is Mississippi in for a round of cuts this coming fiscal year?

We got a thread about Louisiana elsewhere (they are spared this coming year thus far), but what about Mississippi? They are also in pretty bad shape...

JSU02
February 13th, 2010, 03:22 PM
The Governor of Mississippi and the president of Jackson State want to merge Mississippi Valley State, Alcorn State, and Jackson State into 1 university to save money.

TSUalum05
February 13th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Is Mississippi in for a round of cuts this coming fiscal year?

We got a thread about Louisiana elsewhere (they are spared this coming year thus far), but what about Mississippi? They are also in pretty bad shape...

Looks like Texas may have to face cuts soon as well.

msusig
February 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM
The Governor of Mississippi and the president of Jackson State want to merge Mississippi Valley State, Alcorn State, and Jackson State into 1 university to save money.

That would suck to lose a college just because of budget cuts. I could see closing a school if it just didn't make any sense to keep it open. The thing that I don't like about Jendal is he is doing all this so he can say he made cuts to "wasteful spending" without raising taxes if he runs for president. He only cares about his own political career.

GeauxLions94
February 13th, 2010, 06:09 PM
That would suck to lose a college just because of budget cuts. I could see closing a school if it just didn't make any sense to keep it open. The thing that I don't like about Jendal is he is doing all this so he can say he made cuts to "wasteful spending" without raising taxes if he runs for president. He only cares about his own political career.

Well, if Jindal keeps cutting higher ed and health care in Louisiana (causing more people to lose jobs and eventually leave the state), he might have a hard time winning re-election for Gov in 2011.

TexasTerror
February 13th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Looks like Texas may have to face cuts soon as well.

You think so? Texas does have to run a balanced budget by law and they do a great job putting money in a "rainy day fund". Will be interesting to see if they cut higher education. They've already put more on the schools to raise tuition, which does not seem to be the case in La.

Well, if Jindal keeps cutting higher ed and health care in Louisiana (causing more people to lose jobs and eventually leave the state), he might have a hard time winning re-election for Gov in 2011.

People I talk to think Jindal is safe, which is ridiculous!

We'll see if Jindal cuts higher ed this go around, does not seem like he is per his released budget.

WileECoyote06
February 13th, 2010, 08:50 PM
The proposal from their governor didn't make it out of committee. He was proposing merging the three colleges, and also merging Miss. College for Women with Mississippi; at a savings of a paltry 34 million.xrolleyesx

TSUalum05
February 14th, 2010, 08:17 AM
You think so?

Because of the decrease in sales tax -- check out the chronicle. Possible 5% decrease if projected sales tax revenue continue to decrease.

Ivytalk
February 14th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I seem to recall that, before its new stadium was built, Columbia had to condemn a whole section of bleachers as unsafe.xeekx

DFW HOYA
February 15th, 2010, 02:47 PM
It wasn't that many years ago that Georgetown's Kehoe Field was closed--not for the bleachers, but for the condition of the field. Still off-limits for athletic play.