PDA

View Full Version : Final GPI Announced

TexasTerror
February 11th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Another important post that fell off to the wayside while the board was down, the release by College Sporting News of the final GPI (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?163-2-1-2010-Final-Gridiron-Power-Index-%28GPI%29-Villanova-No-1) from several weeks ago.

The Gridiron Power Index (GPI), the index ranking for the NCAA Division I FCS and a top indicator of at-large playoff selection finishes the year with D-I National Champion Villanova in the top spot.

The Colonial Athletic Association, the largest league in the FCS has seven teams in the top 25; the Big Sky Conference has five; the Missouri Valley Football and Southern Conferences have three each; the Southland
Conference has two; and the Big South, Mid-Eastern Athletic, Ohio Valley Conferences plus the Ivy and Patriot Leagues have one each. (All games completed.)

Syntax Error
February 11th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Looks about right. No surprise William & Mary and Montana finished tied at #2 after their great seasons.

uofmman1122
February 13th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Richmond ahead of App State is kind of silly.

paward
February 13th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Anyone ahead of ahead of App State is silly, I am not sure why they did not get the number one slot.

YoUDeeMan
February 13th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Richmond ahead of App State is kind of silly.

xrolleyesx

App ahead of McNeese is silly, too.

YoUDeeMan
February 13th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Another important post that fell off to the wayside while the board was down, the release by College Sporting News of the final GPI (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?163-2-1-2010-Final-Gridiron-Power-Index-%28GPI%29-Villanova-No-1) from several weeks ago.

Hey, the GPI needs some more balance. I hear fcsfans.com (also knowns as championshipsubdivision.com) is going to have a poll this season. It will be interesting to see which poll is more accurate next year...AGS poll, the GPI, or the CS poll.

wb247
February 13th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Anyone ahead of ahead of App State is silly, I am not sure why they did not get the number one slot.

Wins on the field ought to count for something.

TexasTerror
February 13th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Hey, the GPI needs some more balance. I hear fcsfans.com (also knowns as championshipsubdivision.com) is going to have a poll this season. It will be interesting to see which poll is more accurate next year...AGS poll, the GPI, or the CS poll.

Considering the CS.com poll does not start until a month into the season, I do not think they can be "comparable" to AGS as far as seeing who hangs around from the preseason until the finish line.

As far as playoffs, yes - you can compare. How'd it compare this year?

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 13th, 2010, 08:19 PM
xrolleyesx

That might have something to do with the fact that McNeese and the other SLC team that made the playoffs got spanked in the first round. App. State survived the first round and beat Richmond on the road and one of App's defeated opponent went down to the wire against Richmond.

lionsrking2
February 13th, 2010, 11:32 PM
That might have something to do with the fact that McNeese and the other SLC team that made the playoffs got spanked in the first round. App. State survived the first round and beat Richmond on the road and one of App's defeated opponent went down to the wire against Richmond.

For the record, the "other SLC team" got spanked in the second round...SFA beat EWU in round one.

uofmman1122
February 14th, 2010, 01:15 AM
xrolleyesx

App ahead of McNeese is silly, too.If McNeese was indeed better than ASU, they wouldn't have gotten waxed in the first round.

A team at week two is wildly different than the same team in the second week of the playoffs.

I just don't get how you can have a poll based on the end of the season, and have a team be placed ahead of the team that knocked it out of the playoffs. That seems rather @%#&ing silly, to me. xrolleyesx

Saint3333
February 14th, 2010, 08:04 AM
xrolleyesx

I believe this poll measures the teams at a point in time, not hard to believe ASU was ahead of McNeese.

Tribe4SF
February 14th, 2010, 08:59 AM
The GPI is not a poll. It's a composite of polls and computer rankings, so "results on the field" are considered season long by the computers, and weighted late season results are only reflected in the three polls which are part of the index.

Syntax Error
February 14th, 2010, 10:15 PM
The GPI is not a poll. It's a composite of polls and computer rankings, so "results on the field" are considered season long by the computers, and weighted late season results are only reflected in the three polls which are part of the index.

Yep, and the entire group of computer data is figured in the final result with the final polls. Polls seem to forget early losses etc.

JMU Newbill
February 15th, 2010, 02:46 PM
JMU at #16... interesting.

Rob Iola
February 15th, 2010, 03:14 PM
This is all kinda pointless wrt individual teams - don't the playoffs render this whole argument moot? Do you really want to argue about the relative merits of teams that didn't make the playoffs?

I find the GPI much more interesting in terms of comparing conferences...