PDA

View Full Version : Your teams early 2010 preview.

Tribe4SF
February 11th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Composite thread of prospects for 2010. Things look promising for W&M, but there are question marks in a few areas.

Offense

The Tribe returns a stable of running backs who are among the best in FCS. Jonathan Grimes, Courtland Marriner and Terrence Riggins are experienced, and between them present alot of problems for opposing defenses. Grimes is the total package with speed, power and elusiveness. Marriner is a burner with 10.4 speed, and Riggins is a load at 6'1" and 230. The FB position is set with former starter Jimmy Hobson back from injury, and three others returning with experience.

Replacing RJ Archer at QB is job one for the spring. The battle looks to be between rFr. Mike Caprio, who impressed last fall, and UNC transfer Mike Paulus. There are four other QBs returning, and incoming freshman Raphael Ortiz is promising.

Returning WRs Chase Hill, Cam Dohse, and Terreon Conyers will be joined by rSo. Ryan Moody, who started his first collegiate game against UVA, catching three for 70 yards before a season ending broken ankle in the second game. The unit is deep, and experienced, but will need to show more consistency.

Despite the loss of All-CAA TE Rob Varno, the TE position should again be a strength, with Jr. Alex Gottlieb stepping into the featured role. Converted QB Nolan Kearney, and often injured Garreth Hissong are both physical players who will see time in two TE sets.

The OL had looked to be a major strength, but the suspension of two-year starting LT Jake Marcey has cut expectations. With multi-year starters Keith Hill, Derek Toon and Chris Sutton, and considerable depth of young talent, the unit should still be pretty good, but what looked to be a dominant area is now something of a question. rSo. Rob Gumbita started two games in '09, and rSo. Mike Salazar impressed in limited action. rFr. Matt Crisafi and James Johnson will push in the spring.

Defense

Losing three starters from the best DL in FCS would normally indicate a rebuilding year, but the Tribe was blessed with exceptional depth here in 2009. DT Mike Stover emerged as a premiere player during the playoffs (11 tackles/ 3 TFL/ 1 Sack in semi-final), and will be joined at DT by sometime starter Harold Robertson, and explosive Sr. Bryan Jean-Pierre. DEs Ravi Pradhanang and Marcus Hyde have both started games, and were part of the DE rotation for the past two years. Jean-Pierre may spend time at both DT and DE, and at 6'4" 275 possesses great speed and athleticism. rFr. Bryan Stinnie (6'5" 250) is expected to contribute at DE, and Sr. Kyle O'Brien has been a steady sub the past two years. While this unit may not be the best in the country again, it looks to be a strength in 2010.

All three starters return at LB, and rSo. Dante Cook was the primary sub in '09. MLB Jake Trantin is the anchor of what should be the strongest part of the defense. OLBs Evan Francks and Wes Steinman were consistently strong, and rSo. Jabrel Mines showed well. rFr. Paul Amakihe is expected to break into the rotation.

If LB is not the strength of the defense, it could be the cornerbacks filling that role. BW Webb had a sensational first year, picking off 8 passes, and being named CAA and ECAC ROY. Sr. Ben Cottingham will be a three-year starter, and Jr. Terrell Wells is a former starter who was the key sub in '09. rFr. TK Hester should round out the rotation after a stellar showing with the scout team in '09.

Safety is the biggest question for the defense. With the loss of former starter Mike Alvarado to suspension, only rSo. Brian Thompson has any meaningful experience. Speculation is that either Evan Francks, or Dante Cook will switch from OLB to SS. Both are former safeties who have the size and speed for the position. Backup CB Ryan Woolfolk, a former RB, has the size (6' 195), and speed to switch to safety. A trio of rFr. will be vie for time. Quincey September, Jerome Couplin and Brett Fox all have good size and speed, and all showed well on the '09 scout team. Inexperience is the watchword for the entire group here.

Special Teams

Replacing PK Brian Pate is the only question in this area. All-CAA punter David Miller may take over the placekicking, or it could be rFr. Drake Kuhn. The Tribe also signed a scholarship kicker for 2010. PR BW Webb and KR Jonathan Grimes return.

RB Jonathan Grimes is pictured.

DFW HOYA
February 11th, 2010, 10:04 AM
The good news is that it's only February, but...

OC position vacant since December.
Instability at QB
Top rusher and receiver graduates
Considerable graduation losses in OL, LB, secondary, and special teams

We'll leave the schedule issue to another thread.

SideLine Shooter
February 11th, 2010, 10:23 AM
We'll see, it's certainly going to be different.

WestCoastAggie
February 11th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Murray St got Hatcher.

At A&T, Coach Lee brought in arguably one of the best recruiting classes in A&T history and one of the best 2010 classes in the whole FCS.

Overall, 2010 will be a good year for me as a football fan.

technocat
February 18th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Offense: Senior QB being pushed by a very talented RFR. Should be interesting. We will probably be a running back by committee team unless a freshman comes in and dominates. Have quite a log jam at WR, Everette Gilbert being our "Percy Harvin" do it all type. If someone can step up to relieve some pressure on him, he will have a huge year. Our O-line is solid but not spectacular, lots of youth.

Defense: Should be solid again. Our D-Line is shaping up to be the best we've had in years. Lots of depth and talent. Our linebackers were solid, but there are a lot of question marks with injuries from last year. Our secondary has talent but is suspect. The safeties are physical and can fly but aren't the biggest. The cornerback position was decimated last year (we ended the year with a converted wr, converted qb manning a position). The young guys have the experience, time to put it all together.

The recruiting class looks solid. Two 3 stars and a couple two stars, lots of skill position players.

PantherRob82
February 18th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I'm always excited for UNI. We have a lot of speed and talent in the skill positions, big guys on both sides of the line and some great coaches. The question is how it all comes together.

I've been told there are some suprises coming this spring. Guess we'll wait and see.

813Jag
February 18th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Southern: at this point i have no clue. IMO, really won't know until fall camp gets going.

WrenFGun
February 18th, 2010, 07:11 PM
The only thing certain about the UNH program is that it will lose in the FCS Quarterfinals..

-----

Offense: Both R.J. Toman and Kevin Decker return at quarterback, with Toman the incumbent. I am hoping it will be an open competition for the spot after Toman's absolutely horrendous showing in the snow in the playoffs last year, but there's no guarantee Decker would've been any better. I just hope the best player gets the job, whoever it is.

I am both very excited and concerend over the running back situation. Chad Kackert is gone and I think that may be a blessing in disguise. Kackert couldn't stay healthy and wasn't a threat to gain consistent yardage. Sean Jellison returns, but I just don't seem him as an every down back. I've heard good things about Dontra Peters but he didn't look like much of a RB option last year. We recruited two interesting running backs this year and it's not impossible that you will see a true Freshman get some reps at the position.

Terrance Fox returns at wideout, and he'll team with Mickey Mangieri and Joey Orlando to form an explosive threesome. Kevon Mason should add some much needed size to the position, as well, and Manny Asam should get some playing time too. I'm very high on Mangieri. At TE, Chris Jeannot and Sean Cullen have big shoes to fill, but both are capable alternatives. Jeannot put up 200 yards receiving in a game last year, if I recall.

The offensive line may be a problem area. I believe that Mickey Dilima, Chris Zarkoskie and Seth Price should start, but your guess is as good as mine on the other 2 spots.

----

Defensively, Steve Young, Lance Mailloux, Randi Vines, John Murray and Brian McNally all return, with McNally and Young the true standouts. I like Vines and Murray to emerge as starters at the DT and DE spots, respectively alongside those two, as Mailloux is a bit undersized and more of a rotational piece, IMO.

At LB, Sean Ware graduates but Devon Jackson returns. There's some question about who will start at that other LB position, as John Duffey, Matt Evans and Alan Buzbee all seem to have a shot at that, with James Jenkins another possibility. Dino Vasso, Ryan McGuiness and Hugo Souza return in the secondary, but that still leaves two spots open with the departures of Terrance Klein and Ryan Hinds. I think Chris Houston as a shot to start at corner, while it would seem like John Greer or Mike Perkins would have the inside track as the third LB/S spot.

We need a new punter desperately, and we'll need a new kicker, too. Your guess is as good as mine, there.

Wildcat80
February 18th, 2010, 07:49 PM
The only thing certain about the UNH program is that it will lose in the FCS Quarterfinals..

-----

Offense: Both R.J. Toman and Kevin Decker return at quarterback, with Toman the incumbent. I am hoping it will be an open competition for the spot after Toman's absolutely horrendous showing in the snow in the playoffs last year, but there's no guarantee Decker would've been any better. I just hope the best player gets the job, whoever it is.

I am both very excited and concerend over the running back situation. Chad Kackert is gone and I think that may be a blessing in disguise. Kackert couldn't stay healthy and wasn't a threat to gain consistent yardage. Sean Jellison returns, but I just don't seem him as an every down back. I've heard good things about Dontra Peters but he didn't look like much of a RB option last year. We recruited two interesting running backs this year and it's not impossible that you will see a true Freshman get some reps at the position.

Terrance Fox returns at wideout, and he'll team with Mickey Mangieri and Joey Orlando to form an explosive threesome. Kevon Mason should add some much needed size to the position, as well, and Manny Asam should get some playing time too. I'm very high on Mangieri. At TE, Chris Jeannot and Sean Cullen have big shoes to fill, but both are capable alternatives. Jeannot put up 200 yards receiving in a game last year, if I recall.

The offensive line may be a problem area. I believe that Mickey Dilima, Chris Zarkoskie and Seth Price should start, but your guess is as good as mine on the other 2 spots.

----

Defensively, Steve Young, Lance Mailloux, Randi Vines, John Murray and Brian McNally all return, with McNally and Young the true standouts. I like Vines and Murray to emerge as starters at the DT and DE spots, respectively alongside those two, as Mailloux is a bit undersized and more of a rotational piece, IMO.

At LB, Sean Ware graduates but Devon Jackson returns. There's some question about who will start at that other LB position, as John Duffey, Matt Evans and Alan Buzbee all seem to have a shot at that, with James Jenkins another possibility. Dino Vasso, Ryan McGuiness and Hugo Souza return in the secondary, but that still leaves two spots open with the departures of Terrance Klein and Ryan Hinds. I think Chris Houston as a shot to start at corner, while it would seem like John Greer or Mike Perkins would have the inside track as the third LB/S spot.

We need a new punter desperately, and we'll need a new kicker, too. Your guess is as good as mine, there.

Wren-an excellent synopsis! I'd add:

RB-Shawn Sweeney or Chris Setian could contribute too.

OL-I think we have depth building. Isiah Martin & George Pecoraro should fill the other spots but Walter McCarthy, Seamus O'Neill and Nick Schmalhofer should be ready too.

DE/LB-look for Jay Colbert to challenge at a spot.

Kickers-I thought Ryan Glasgow had another year? AJ Delago is on the roster as a PK-hope he is ready!

I too hope Coach sets an open competition this spring at QB. Decker is ready to play.

Uncle Buck
February 18th, 2010, 07:51 PM
That's easy, they'll be playing all over the country, just not for Hofstra.

seantaylor
February 18th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Return to dominance.

lionsrking2
February 19th, 2010, 12:26 AM
SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

2010 should be an interesting year for the Lions...coming of a 6-5 year that found us in contention during the final two weeks, we return the bulk of our team on both sides of the ball, and will feature the most junior/senior depth we've had since bringing football back...the entire offensive line returns, as well as a bevy of skill players...will have to find a replacement for Brian Babin at QB, but have two quality guys vying for the starting nod in Tyler Beatty and B.J. Young...Beatty got a couple of starts last year when Babin was injured, including a win over UCA in which he threw for 292 yards and two TDs...Young was ineligible due to a technicality beyond his control, but at times, was probably our most impressive QB in practice last year, including Babin...Beatty has earned a strong look, but if I had to bet, B.J. will overtake him by spring's end...coaches and players love him!!

Defensively, just about the entire front seven returns and most of the secondary, plus we'll get two starters back who missed all or most of 2009 due to injury - SS, Tommy Connors, and DT, Devin Boutwell. We also add a couple of JC transfers at DT who are both in the 290-300 range, which should give us more versatility and allow us to move Stephen Pieczynski (6-6, 265) to DE which is a more natural fit for him...we're loaded at LB and in the secondary, and should be greatly improved overall defensively.

Have to replace a four year starter at kicker - with a true freshman - so that could be an adventure; but do return punter, Beau Mothe, who had a very good true freshman season in '09.

As far as schedule, we have two FBS road games at Tulane and ULM, and have Tennessee-Martin and Lamar coming to town for non-conference FCS games...only have three of seven conference games at home, but McNeese and Texas State are two of the three.

If we get decent QB play - which I think we will - I feel pretty confident we'll be in the conference hunt at year's end, and hopefully be in position to get our first playoff berth...we'll have to play well and play with consistency like everybody else, but the pieces are in place to make a run.

WrenFGun
February 19th, 2010, 10:07 AM

OL-I think we have depth building. Isiah Martin & George Pecoraro should fill the other spots but Walter McCarthy, Seamus O'Neill and Nick Schmalhofer should be ready too.

Kickers-I thought Ryan Glasgow had another year? AJ Delago is on the roster as a PK-hope he is ready!

I too hope Coach sets an open competition this spring at QB. Decker is ready to play.

Glasgow is truly terrible at punting.

Hoseinexile07
February 19th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Absolute best case scenario: we win 5 games. This would be remarkable given the youth of most of our players. I don't know what to expect from us this year, but I'm forcing myself to be realistic.

WCU LawCat
February 19th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Return to dominance.

...with a good recruiting year next year to fit offensive needs I'd say it is possible you could challenge in 2011 or 12.

AggieFinn
February 19th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I don't think the Aggies will be a factor until they can stop scheduling 2 FBS opponents, and 1 non counter, every year. Couple that with the Great West/Big Sky matchups, it's rough.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 19th, 2010, 01:18 PM

Just wanted to add a couple of things to what you and Wren have written.

OL -- I think we're in better shape today than we were a year ago when we had to replace four out of the five starters. This year we only have to replace two (Neill and Larkin) and don't forget that Pecoraro was a starter last year. I think for the first time in three seasons we might actually fill the OL two deep without a true freshman!!! Zarkoskie started a few games at center last season which helps fill Neill's spot. Don't forget Rich Archer and Sean Ryan are in the mix on the OL as well. Personally, I think we'll be better in this area in 2010 than 2009.

DT -- Don't forget Jared Smith! Heard some good stuff about him and I think we'll see him step in.

DB -- also have Anthony Gorrell returning, didn't he start until injured during 2008?

Big shoes to fill on D with Sean Ware and Terrance Klein graduating. But lots of talent returning too, a few others not mentioned are Kyle Flemings, Tyler Sargent and Jack Jamerson. If Chris Houston and Jay Colbert are as good as I've heard they are going to be in the mix. And I really think that James Jenkins is ready to be an impact player.

I really think we can be as good on defense this coming season. On offense I think the OL with a year's experience and weight room work will be improved. Terrance Fox returning significantly improves the receiving game as well as the return game. Potentially, we could be better in 2010 than last season, but the record might not show it since the schedule is so much tougher. Making the playoffs is hardly a foregone conclusion. Let's make the playoffs before worrying about losing a quarterfinal game.

ngineer
February 19th, 2010, 04:47 PM

-----

----

Hmmmmm. Sounds like we may have a shot come September 25??xeyebrowx

ngineer
February 19th, 2010, 04:57 PM
With a new OC in the fold, optimism is brimming on Old South Mountain. 17/18 starters return (pending a medical redshirt), with 10 on offense that struggled with consistency last year. Another year, and the new OC could see marked improvement. Recruitment has brought some speed onto the offensive roster as well. JB Clark is reigning QB, but Coen has always believed in competition, so I would think Lum could get a shot if Clark gives him the opening. One concern is whether super frosh QB/RB Colvin returns with no loss of speed after breaking his leg late last year.

The defense loses some real stars, but returns a lot of experience as well as highly touted Winnett at DT, who has missed the last two seasons with injuries. Winnett saw a lot of time as a freshman and had all the makings of another Benning. Time will tell. LB corp loses all-american Cohen, but will see the return of Pierce and Taylor through expected medical redshirts, in additon to several others who saw a lot of time. 3/4 of the secondary returns with both corners and one safety. Good depth there, so I don't see a drop off,plus the return of DB coach Moore will give the D a new jolt of life.

Special teams are special. John Kennedy is back again and the punt returners have been exciting. P/K is in solid hands.

Lehigh should be no worse than 7-4. 9-2 is realistic with us being underdogs to Villanova and UNH. All other games are toss-ups or we're favored. A PL championship is a realistic expectation.

DJOM
February 19th, 2010, 05:17 PM
1,325,639,982 people can not be wrong. 2010 IS the year of the Tiger.

Bogus Megapardus
February 19th, 2010, 06:21 PM
A PL championship is a realistic expectation.

xblahblahx

We'll have something to say about that, I hope.

PaladinFan
February 19th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Furman

Offensively. Gobs of talent. Great overall team speed. Hopefully will gell into a good group.

Defensively. Still young. Young defensive line will have to step up and get a pass rush. Backfield will be a very good one.

I expect to see some urgency this season. Lamb had to let go a few defensive assistants from last season (some who had been at FU a very long time). That's usually the first indication a coach's seat is getting warm.

Talent is there to compete for the SoCon title and make a run at the playoffs. But, over the past couple years its been an exercise in frustration.

TheValleyRaider
February 19th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Colgate

Offense
7/11 Starters returning

QB-Greg Sullivan is back for his senior year. Dual threat QB will hopefully continue to improve his passing, but will still kill teams with his legs

RB-Nate Eachus returns, hopefully healthy for a full season of making things happen for the offense. Jordan McCord is a serviceable backup

FB-Gigi Cadet is back for his senior year, good blocking back

WR-All-Everything reciever Pat Simonds graduates. Doug Rosnick and John Schademan return for their senior and sophomore seasons, respectively. Rosnick is unspectacular, but solid, and I'm interested to see how Schademan grows, assuming he takes that #2 reciever spot (or maybe the #1)

TE-Nick Cvetic returns as a Senior. Good blocker, will on rare occasions be called upon to catch a pass, but mostly serves his purpose of opening holes for Eachus and Sullivan

OL-Ryan Gross, Zach Posey and Rob Budny all graduate. C Kevin Morgan and RT Brian Merrifield return as Juniors. I don't know who will fill in the rest of the line, and replacing linemen can be tough, but this is one area Colgate is usually strong in. I expect the line to be solid, though potentially preparing for a strong 2011 with the two seniors and whoever else fills in with them

Overall, the offense will likely be similar to season's past: heavy doses of run out of the shotgun with Sullivan and Eachus. It'll be interesting to see if Rosnick and Schademan can make the passing game dangerous enough to give the Raiders some variety on offense

Defense
5/11 Starters returning

DL-Walker, Mancuso and Douglas all graduate, plus 2 of the 4 backups on the 2-deep. Lamont Sonds is the only returning starter. This will be the area with the greatest turnover, so it'll be interesting to see who is in Biddle's pipeline to get in the lineup

LB-Greg Hadley and Garrington Spence graduate. Zach Smith returns for his Senior season. Chris DiMassa and Michael Riccione return as backups from the 2-deep. A playmaker in the LB corps has been one of our biggest weaknesses over the last couple of seasons, so it's unclear as of yet who will take that position

DB-Uzi Idah graduates. Coree Moses (Sr) and Demetri Diamond (So) return as Corners, Mike Berry (Sr) as a Safety. It'll be interesting to see if 2009 backups like Omar Auais and Vinnie Nicosia are able to get themselves on the field

The defense has been a weakness for the last couple of seasons. It's easy to pin 2008 on Szabo, but last year wasn't anything special either. Lots of turnover here, hopefully we can still rely on that old Biddle magic to get the right guys in the right places

Special Teams
K/P-Still 4 guys on the roster. None of them really siezed the job(s) last season, though injuries played some part. There's a quality kicker (or pair of kickers) in there, but we'll see who steps up

Return game-No idea who will play the returner roles, but I'm not expecting much in the way of flash. Don't fumble the kicks and that'll be sufficient. Kickoff coverage needs to be improved

Interesting schedule. OOC home games of Monmouth and Dartmouth don't really impress, but as the opener, MU mildly concerns me. Home PL schedule includes Georgetown, Lafayette and Holy Cross. It'll be nice to see the Pards and Saders in Andy Kerr this season after last year's tough losses. OOC road games highlighted by the trip to Furman. Hopefully we can put on a better showing against the Paladins than we had in 2008, but either way it's a nice tough game to have on the docket. Not sure what to make of Princeton and Cornell, except that I expect to win both of them at this point. Road PL games are Lehigh, Bucknell and Fordham. That's 3 of our last 4, and of course Lehigh is between LC/HC. Sitting in February, that should be the toughest road game, but that's because I don't know what to make of Fordham right now. We have a bye between Dartmouth and Georgetown, so that doesn't do much for us at first glance. Basically, the 3 week stretch of Holy Cross-Lehigh-Lafayette will be the make-or-break point for 2010

The defensive deficiencies make it difficult for me to confidently declare Colgate the favorite, but as always I expect us to be in the mix. A win over Furman would make us at-large contenders, but otherwise our best hope would involve winning the League. A lot falls on the defense. If they can improve from last season, this is arguably the best team in the Patriot League. If they continue to be inconsistent, we'll have a tough time getting to the 9 or 10 wins we'll need for a playoff birth

ngineer
February 20th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Colgate

Offense
7/11 Starters returning

QB-Greg Sullivan is back for his senior year. Dual threat QB will hopefully continue to improve his passing, but will still kill teams with his legs

RB-Nate Eachus returns, hopefully healthy for a full season of making things happen for the offense. Jordan McCord is a serviceable backup

FB-Gigi Cadet is back for his senior year, good blocking back

WR-All-Everything reciever Pat Simonds graduates. Doug Rosnick and John Schademan return for their senior and sophomore seasons, respectively. Rosnick is unspectacular, but solid, and I'm interested to see how Schademan grows, assuming he takes that #2 reciever spot (or maybe the #1)

TE-Nick Cvetic returns as a Senior. Good blocker, will on rare occasions be called upon to catch a pass, but mostly serves his purpose of opening holes for Eachus and Sullivan

OL-Ryan Gross, Zach Posey and Rob Budny all graduate. C Kevin Morgan and RT Brian Merrifield return as Juniors. I don't know who will fill in the rest of the line, and replacing linemen can be tough, but this is one area Colgate is usually strong in. I expect the line to be solid, though potentially preparing for a strong 2011 with the two seniors and whoever else fills in with them

Overall, the offense will likely be similar to season's past: heavy doses of run out of the shotgun with Sullivan and Eachus. It'll be interesting to see if Rosnick and Schademan can make the passing game dangerous enough to give the Raiders some variety on offense

Defense
5/11 Starters returning

DL-Walker, Mancuso and Douglas all graduate, plus 2 of the 4 backups on the 2-deep. Lamont Sonds is the only returning starter. This will be the area with the greatest turnover, so it'll be interesting to see who is in Biddle's pipeline to get in the lineup

LB-Greg Hadley and Garrington Spence graduate. Zach Smith returns for his Senior season. Chris DiMassa and Michael Riccione return as backups from the 2-deep. A playmaker in the LB corps has been one of our biggest weaknesses over the last couple of seasons, so it's unclear as of yet who will take that position

DB-Uzi Idah graduates. Coree Moses (Sr) and Demetri Diamond (So) return as Corners, Mike Berry (Sr) as a Safety. It'll be interesting to see if 2009 backups like Omar Auais and Vinnie Nicosia are able to get themselves on the field

The defense has been a weakness for the last couple of seasons. It's easy to pin 2008 on Szabo, but last year wasn't anything special either. Lots of turnover here, hopefully we can still rely on that old Biddle magic to get the right guys in the right places

Special Teams
K/P-Still 4 guys on the roster. None of them really siezed the job(s) last season, though injuries played some part. There's a quality kicker (or pair of kickers) in there, but we'll see who steps up

Return game-No idea who will play the returner roles, but I'm not expecting much in the way of flash. Don't fumble the kicks and that'll be sufficient. Kickoff coverage needs to be improved

Interesting schedule. OOC home games of Monmouth and Dartmouth don't really impress, but as the opener, MU mildly concerns me. Home PL schedule includes Georgetown, Lafayette and Holy Cross. It'll be nice to see the Pards and Saders in Andy Kerr this season after last year's tough losses. OOC road games highlighted by the trip to Furman. Hopefully we can put on a better showing against the Paladins than we had in 2008, but either way it's a nice tough game to have on the docket. Not sure what to make of Princeton and Cornell, except that I expect to win both of them at this point. Road PL games are Lehigh, Bucknell and Fordham. That's 3 of our last 4, and of course Lehigh is between LC/HC. Sitting in February, that should be the toughest road game, but that's because I don't know what to make of Fordham right now. We have a bye between Dartmouth and Georgetown, so that doesn't do much for us at first glance. Basically, the 3 week stretch of Holy Cross-Lehigh-Lafayette will be the make-or-break point for 2010

The defensive deficiencies make it difficult for me to confidently declare Colgate the favorite, but as always I expect us to be in the mix. A win over Furman would make us at-large contenders, but otherwise our best hope would involve winning the League. A lot falls on the defense. If they can improve from last season, this is arguably the best team in the Patriot League. If they continue to be inconsistent, we'll have a tough time getting to the 9 or 10 wins we'll need for a playoff birth

With a healthy Eachus, 'gate is a very tough offensive machine. As you point out, your defense will be what determines your season's fate. The LC-LU-HC gauntlet is definitely nasty, although 2/3 are at home.

I think the PL will, as usual, be a battle between the same 4 for the crown. While I would give 'gate an edge on offense, I will go with our team's overall balance on both sides along with our special teams.

TheValleyRaider
February 20th, 2010, 12:26 PM
With a healthy Eachus, 'gate is a very tough offensive machine. As you point out, your defense will be what determines your season's fate. The LC-LU-HC gauntlet is definitely nasty, although 2/3 are at home.

I think the PL will, as usual, be a battle between the same 4 for the crown. While I would give 'gate an edge on offense, I will go with our team's overall balance on both sides along with our special teams.

Truthfully, if there's one place in the League I don't like going, it's the Little Town of Bethlehem. One win there in our last 3 trips, and that was a classic nailbiter. Of course we'll catch you in the Hawks' late season surge that inevitably saves Coen's job again :p

Should be an interesting race in the League this year, as I'm not really sure who to consider the favorite going in. I guess I'd pick Colgate, but that's pure homerism. Otherwise probably Lafayette. I'd want to see HC without Randolph before I say they're the best team, and Lehigh, well, I'll remain skeptical about Coen until they actually pull it all together and make a title run. Fordham's hard to get a grip on, though the last 2 years have certainly soured me, and of course they're replacing a QB too. No idea what Bucknell will look like with the new coach, and Georgetown....yeah

JohnStOnge
February 20th, 2010, 01:11 PM
McNeese lost what was, I think, its best quarterback ever statistically. And that is where the question mark is going to be. If the Cowboys can find somebody to play well at the QB position they should be better than they were last year. We'll see how it turns out.

yorkcountyUNHfan
February 20th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Hmmmmm. Sounds like we may have a shot come September 25??xeyebrowx

Not "may" but will, and I'll bring it. Hell we'll have two! What do ya' drink?

NoCoDanny
February 20th, 2010, 01:55 PM
We'll suck, probably lose a few in last seconds, most likely a hail mary in there also...

rcny46
February 20th, 2010, 05:11 PM
1,325,639,982 people can not be wrong. 2010 IS the year of the Tiger.

MEOW! :D

slostang
February 20th, 2010, 07:19 PM
McNeese lost what was, I think, its best quarterback ever statistically. And that is where the question mark is going to be. If the Cowboys can find somebody to play well at the QB position they should be better than they were last year. We'll see how it turns out.

Looking forward to seeing how Cal Poly does against an always tough McNeese State team. Can not wait.

carney2
February 20th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Lafayette has lots of holes to fill.

OFFENSE

QB - The biggest question mark on this team. 3-year starter Rob Curley has graduated and there is no heir apparent. Senior Marc Quilling has the most, though extremely limited, experience. Junior Ryan O’Neil is the “most athletic." And, sophomore Andrew Shoop theoretically has the most potential. No matter who emerges, the learning curve needs to be climbed, and it could be a rocky ride, at least for a while.

RB – The top 3 RBs graduated, but there is still a stable of capable performers, led by junior Jerome Rudolph. There should however, be room for at least one of the freshmen to break into the rotation. It does not appear that there is enough here to make this the run oriented team that coach Frank Tavani loves.

FB – A position that all but disappeared in the Air Lafayette days of 2009 should acquire renewed importance in 2010’s year of the “Who dat?” QB. It will fall to unproven underclassmen such as sophomore Pete Bross to carry the load.

TE – Another position that will have renewed importance in 2010. Senior Kevin Doty should be the starter, but look for 6’7”, 230 freshman Brandon Hall to get some playing time.

WR – One of the strengths of this team. There is experience and real talent led by senior Mark Layton and juniors Greg Stripe and Mitchell Bennett. The fear is that with the questions at QB much of this talent may end up being wasted.

OL – That moment we have all dreaded is here. Frank Tavani teams have always been propelled by the big uglies and now, inexplicably, the cupboard is bare. Four members of last year’s “adequate” OL have graduated, and the Leopards are down to junior Anthony Buffolino, perhaps Northeastern transfer Andrew Anastor, and a group of unproven underclassmen. Help is on the way with a good looking group of incoming freshmen, but if you look out there this fall and see a freshman in the OL at crunch time, you will know that this has completely unraveled.

DEFENSE

DL – Graduated DTs Ian Dell and Andrew Poulsen were the best duo in recent memory, but that doesn’t mean the Pards are in trouble. Senior Michael Phillips should be one of the quality replacements up front. Not as good as last year, but that was an exceptional group.

LB – The Leopards always seem to have someone at LB that the offense has to be aware of on every play. No exception this year with senior Michael Schmidlein the one to watch. Don’t be surprised if a freshman or two is seeing some time by mid-season.

DB – With a lot of underclassmen in the mix last year, this group returns both experience and skill. Hofstra transfer (by way of Bucknell), Tyler McFarlane, will contend for playing time.

SPECIAL TEAMS

PK, Davis Rodriguez will be the man for the 4th consecutive season. He has made a career of destroying Penn but coming up short vs. Holy Cross. P, Tom Kondash is consistent, but not strong. He may be pushed by sophomore Ethan Swerdlow. The return game is in good hands with junior WR Greg Stripe, but some changes are needed in the backup role after last year’s Lehigh game.

SUMMARY

Even though there are lots of holes to be filled, the Leopards are a serious threat because of six little words: Lafayette plays in the Patriot League. Frankly, it looks like a 3 horse race, with no one obviously in the lead. I suspect that the Pards will adequately solve their QB dilemma, but expect that the OL problems will not be resolved until at least 2011. The defense will probably have to carry this team. I expect a lackluster performance through the OOC portion of the schedule, but Lafayette should be ready for the Patriot League challenge.

phoenixphanatic21
February 21st, 2010, 10:50 AM
Elon

Offense
The biggest question is how we will deal with the loss of Terrell Hudgins. The second biggest questions is how we will deal with the loss of our seniors on the O-line. To answer question 1, I think we will obviously take a step back. It's hard not to when you lose a player of his caliber, but I don't think the step back will be too dramatic. We have some very capable WRs in Lance Camp and Sean Jeffcoat who will need to step up and we have plenty of good young WRs too, like Aaron Mellete and Darrius McQueen. We have also been able to pick up a few in recruiting as well. I also think you may see more emphasis on the run game this year, since I believe Elon has the best stable of RBs in the SoCon (and maybe even the nation, but I'll admit I'm biased). We return all our RBs from last year, so that means one more year of having to deal with Brandon Newsome, Jamal Shuman, AJ Harris and the often forgotten Dontay Taylor. All bring a different skill to the table and which makes it very hard to prepare, because you don't know who is going to have the big game. To answer question 2, I think we will be ok there as well. We have some young talent who saw playing time last year, but for the most part I honestly don't know for sure how they will do. I think our O-line may be the key to exactly how far we go next year.

Defense
Again, lost a lot of key players (Andre Campbell, ERic Ludwig, Walker White, Nolan Ward, Cameron McGlenn and Karlos Sullivan), but we return a lot as well, including all our LBs and top 3 tacklers from last year (Joshua Jones, Brandon Wiggins and Dale Riley). The defense has been improving greatly year after year and can now be consider one of the teams strengths, which is amazing considering where it was just 2 years ago. I do think the D will also take a step back from last year, but it will reload and become deadly once again in no time at all. The key is going to be replacing all the DBs we lost from last year. We lose 3 of our 4 starters, returning just Terrell Wilson. If the new DBs can play well, the defense should return to glory very quickly.

Special Teams
In Karlos Sullivan, we also lost one of the better return men in the SoCon. But we have more than capable players ready to step up in his place. Lance Camp and Jamal Shuman both showed they were good return men in their own right. I assume Scott Riddle will once again take over the role of punter and Adam Shreiner will be our kicker again, so not too much change there.

Final Thoughts
I am expecting good things out of Elon next year. Not great though, as it is nearly impossible to lose that many players and then replicate the season they had the year before. This is a team that should compete for the SoCon title and a playoff spot. The team will be tested early and often, playing at Duke, at Richmond and at Georgia Southern in 3 of their first 4 games next year. Fortunately, they do end the year at home this year (something they haven't the past few years), which should be very beneficial to the team. Regardless, I cannot wait for spring ball and for next year.

ngineer
February 21st, 2010, 12:22 PM
Truthfully, if there's one place in the League I don't like going, it's the Little Town of Bethlehem. One win there in our last 3 trips, and that was a classic nailbiter. Of course we'll catch you in the Hawks' late season surge that inevitably saves Coen's job again :p

Should be an interesting race in the League this year, as I'm not really sure who to consider the favorite going in. I guess I'd pick Colgate, but that's pure homerism. Otherwise probably Lafayette. I'd want to see HC without Randolph before I say they're the best team, and Lehigh, well, I'll remain skeptical about Coen until they actually pull it all together and make a title run. Fordham's hard to get a grip on, though the last 2 years have certainly soured me, and of course they're replacing a QB too. No idea what Bucknell will look like with the new coach, and Georgetown....yeah

I don't think you will have long to wait to see what we are made of as by the end September, we'll have played Villanova and New Hampshire. With games against Drake and Princeton, we should be 2-2. However, if we can knock one of those big 2 off, or at least be in both games late, even if we lose, then the balance of the year should be very promising. OTOH, if we lose both games "substantially" then it will be the usual waiting game as you say.

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2010, 12:29 PM
THREAD OF THE YEAR SO FAR! xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

UNHFootballAlum
February 21st, 2010, 04:57 PM
Glasgow is truly terrible at punting.

He takes too long to get it off

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2010, 05:53 PM
He takes too long to get it off

ahem, ........ nevermind. xsmiley_wix

JohnStOnge
February 21st, 2010, 05:59 PM
Looking forward to seeing how Cal Poly does against an always tough McNeese State team. Can not wait.

Well, unfortunately, what I'd say about McNeese lately is that the Cowboys are usually tough during the regular season. If you were Georgia Southern's last playoff team hosting them during 2005, South Dakota State hosting them during 2007, North Carolina hosting them during 2008, or Appalachian State hosting them during 2009 you had your hands full. But it's been a while since they've played tough during the post season.

Of course, Cal Poly will be playing them during the regular season.

CopperCat
February 21st, 2010, 08:27 PM
Offense

O-line is deeper than last year, and should give the running game plenty of opportunities for big plays. Don't really know what will happen with the RB's, although CJ Palmer could have a big year. Hopefully there will be a battle at QB with Kempt coming back and McGhee challenging him for the starting spot. Kempt has the experience but maybe not the skill that McGhee does. WR is good to go, plenty of new and existing talent. Overall, the offense has no excuses this year.

Defense

D-line still looks great. LB corps will certainly miss Fletcher, who will step up to fill those shoes? Secondary needed work last year, and will probably be an area of emphasis for the coaching staff. We are brining in quite a few DBs some of which will probably see playing time early on in the season but not necessarily in the starting lineup.

Special Teams

Gilbert on kick returns and Sunshine kicking the FGs and PATs = winning. The Cats are solid here for yet another year, which is strange to say.

Overall, this team has no excuses this year. 8-3 is a minimum, 9-2 is also possible with losses @Wazzu and possibly the frizz/NAU. Ash has been here long enough now to have made a mark, and it is time for this team to go to the next level. No more of this "one more year and we will be there" crap. We have the players to be a top 15 FCS team. All that is left to do is take it to the field, should be an exciting year.

UNHFootballAlum
February 21st, 2010, 09:11 PM
ahem, ........ nevermind. xsmiley_wix

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to go there...it didn't take long...pun intended

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2010, 09:26 PM
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to go there...it didn't take long...pun intended

You set them up, I'll knock them down. xlolx

TheValleyRaider
February 21st, 2010, 10:11 PM
You set them up, I'll knock them down. xlolx

Given the course of this conversation, this appears oddly appropriate xwhistlex

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr298/spartansweetheart/TheOffice-ThatsWhatSheSaid-Michael.jpg

Syntax Error
February 21st, 2010, 11:37 PM
Given the course of this conversation, this appears oddly appropriate xwhistlex

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr298/spartansweetheart/TheOffice-ThatsWhatSheSaid-Michael.jpg

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

excellent previews so far!

Woof
February 22nd, 2010, 09:36 AM
As for Wofford, I remain cautiously optimistic. We are still young and relatively inexperienced. Our young players saw a lot of action last year due to a host of injuries, but the team was certainly lacking the "it" factor all year. A lot depends on how well the MASH unit heals. Need to return our focus to fundamentals on O and become a better tackling team on D. Good recruiting class, but not sure how many of them will see PT next year. Will welcome a new DB coach sometime soon as Conklin departed for Citadel. xconfusedx Our non-conf schedule is not quite as challenging as it was last year, so we should improve on our dismal record overall, but still a lot of ?????....so I would put us no higher than middle of the pack at this point.

txstatebobcat
February 22nd, 2010, 10:02 AM
SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

If we get decent QB play - which I think we will - I feel pretty confident we'll be in the conference hunt at year's end, and hopefully be in position to get our first playoff berth...we'll have to play well and play with consistency like everybody else, but the pieces are in place to make a run.

I think that pretty much everyone in the SLC is in the same boat as you guys, well except for SFA.

UNHFootballAlum
February 22nd, 2010, 10:34 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

excellent previews so far!

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Rekdiver
February 22nd, 2010, 01:12 PM
Well...Armanti is gone......We will be just fine.

CopperCat
February 22nd, 2010, 02:59 PM

7 Cadet, Travaris QB 6-1 210 Jr. Miami, Fla. (Pearl River C.C.) (Central)
12 Jackson, Jamal QB 6-3 185 Fr. Atlanta, Ga. (North Atlanta)

Any insight on either of your remaining QB's?

Saint3333
February 22nd, 2010, 03:46 PM
Cadet has been moved to WR. QB will be either Jackson (most likely) or Pressley a Jr.

While ASU (or FCS for that matter) may never see another AE, ASU will continue to be a top 10 program year in and year out as they were before him.

bleedblue
February 22nd, 2010, 05:27 PM

Does not sound like NC type of talk. "Just fine"???

PaladinFan
February 22nd, 2010, 07:07 PM
Cadet has been moved to WR. QB will be either Jackson (most likely) or Pressley a Jr.

While ASU (or FCS for that matter) may never see another AE, ASU will continue to be a top 10 program year in and year out as they were before him.

I think ASU will be in and around the top of the SoCon for a while. I don't necessarily think the gap between App and the rest of the conference will be as large as it has been in recent years post-Armanti.

Even the most stalwart ASU fan would agree, I think, that over the past four years the Mountaineers did not play nearly as well in games where Armanti was off or when he was hurt. They'll be plenty good, I just don't think we will see the week-in-week-out dominance that was a staple of the past four years.

DKHardee
February 22nd, 2010, 09:13 PM
Don't want to hurt everyones feelings but Coastal Carolina is the team to beat this year!

Oh wait... I was asleep. That was a dream.

AppChicago
February 23rd, 2010, 09:21 AM
Does not sound like NC type of talk. "Just fine"???

What. Are you baiting App fans here? Who said we should engage in "NC type of talk"? You're building a straw man.

I agree with RekDiver. We'll be just fine. The transition won't be easy, but you'd be a fool to count App out because we don't have Armanti anymore. He was amazing, but he didn't win those games alone.

We'll just have to see.

asknoquarter21
February 23rd, 2010, 09:36 AM
Everyone wants to talk about losing Armanti and ASU won't be the same, and rightfully so.

It is important to look at the rest of the team which outside of the QB position might be better than last year. I think every ASU fan points to AE leaving as the question mark because in reality it is. We lost several coaches with is in my opinion the only other question mark we have. If many are like myself this may not necessarily be a bad thing because we have looked very vanilla the last few years.

Offense
Losing the best player in the FCS hurts and he can't be replaced. I will talk about QB later because that is the question everyone wants answered. Running back is loaded with talent, coming into 2009 we thought we were 5 deep, but Devin Moore is just too good to allow the other 4 to get on the field. If healthy he is a top Payton candidate this season. Cedric Baker, Devin Radford, and Rod Chisholm are all names to know (Robert Welton transferred). Wide Receiver might be the best we have been in a long long time if not ever. Brian Quick is a legit deep threat who is becoming more well rounded. Tavaris Cadet was a QB but will certainly make an impact with his speed. Coco Hillary is a great WR who can be counted on in clutch spots. Matt Cline is the guy that is going to beat teams underneath. The offensive line lost Mario Acetteli, but should improve as a whole.

Defense
Jacque Roman and Cortez Gilbert are the big losses on defense and I think both will be missed more than people know. As a whole the defense should improve from last year as they were young last season and going through another spring will only help. The Defensive line will be very good and probably the strength of the defense.

Quarterback
Jamal Jackson is going into spring as the front runner. DeAndre Pressley is an adequate backup and could do well this spring and win the job. Both guys have a leg up on the competition as they have experience in practice in this offense. 2 true freshman could emerge as big time players and from the way it looks K. Barnes might be the best to contend for the job as a freshman. No one is expecting lightning to strike twice here, but with the tools around these young QBs it isn't going to be nearly as tough as some think. The talent on offense is stacked, and it is a shame Armanti can't play with these guys another year.

PaladinFan
February 23rd, 2010, 10:14 AM
I don't think there's any doubt that App will still be a good football team. I simply don't think they can avoid taking a hit on offense. Look at the games App lost over the past several years. While I can't speak to each and every game, if memory serves me, App lost when Armanti was either hurt or didn't play, or if he played poorly.

The reality is, after the graduation of their star back (Richardson, I think?), App just didn't have a guy that would take over a game if their star wasn't at his best. While I think the Mounties will put a very quick, speed-filled team on the field in 2010, you simply cannot replace the calibre of playmaker and leader that Edwards was.

Look, when Ingle Martin graduated I thought, "yeah, we'll be fine without him." Sure, we've had some great offensive games with Renaldo Gray and Jordan Sorrells (and have been "fine"), but you just can't replace a player like that. Remember, like with Martin, App will not only be replacing their quarterback, but their biggest running threat, biggest passing threat, and leader. You can't just fill that in with one guy.

All that aside, they are still favorites to win the conference I think. I'm just anxious to see if they can keep that offensive steam engine rolling in 2010.

CrackerRiley
February 23rd, 2010, 12:13 PM
I don't think there's any doubt that App will still be a good football team. I simply don't think they can avoid taking a hit on offense. Look at the games App lost over the past several years. While I can't speak to each and every game, if memory serves me, App lost when Richie was either hurt or didn't play, or if he played poorly.

The reality is, after the graduation of their star back (Richardson, I think?), App just didn't have a guy that would take over a game if their star wasn't at his best. While I think the Mounties will put a very quick, speed-filled team on the field in 2010, you simply cannot replace the calibre of playmaker and leader that Williams was.

Look, when Ingle Martin graduated I thought, "yeah, we'll be fine without him." Sure, we've had some great offensive games with Renaldo Gray and Jordan Sorrells (and have been "fine"), but you just can't replace a player like that. Remember, like with Martin, App will not only be replacing their quarterback, but their biggest running threat, biggest passing threat, and leader. You can't just fill that in with one guy.

All that aside, they are still favorites to win the conference I think. I'm just anxious to see if they can keep that offensive steam engine rolling in 2010.

FIFY. These were my thoughts 4 years ago as well. xwhistlex

I'm ready for another repeat of what happened after "the man" left. Hey, I can dream, right?!xprayx

PaladinFan
February 23rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
FIFY. These were my thoughts 4 years ago as well. xwhistlex

I'm ready for another repeat of what happened after "the man" left. Hey, I can dream, right?!xprayx

I mean, this isn't the same case of Ritchie Williams. Williams was a great ball player, but he wasn't the sole factor in wins most of the time. In those days, App had a shut down defense they no longer possess. In fact, App beat Furman in the playoffs in a game where Trey Elder played most of the snaps after Williams got hurt.

Granted, it's an oddity to have a team win back to back NCs with different quarterbacks. However, from my seats (and I've watched App play a lot over the years), Williams was not near the keystone that Edwards was. The backbone of that team was Lynch, Murrell, Hunter, and co.

CopperCat
February 23rd, 2010, 04:36 PM
I don't think there's any doubt that App will still be a good football team. I simply don't think they can avoid taking a hit on offense. Look at the games App lost over the past several years. While I can't speak to each and every game, if memory serves me, App lost when Armanti was either hurt or didn't play, or if he played poorly.

The reality is, after the graduation of their star back (Richardson, I think?), App just didn't have a guy that would take over a game if their star wasn't at his best. While I think the Mounties will put a very quick, speed-filled team on the field in 2010, you simply cannot replace the calibre of playmaker and leader that Edwards was.

I agree with the above. The same thing happened at MSU when Travis Lulay left. The whole bit about having stock left at QB when he left gave people peace of mind right up until we realized that they weren't half the QB that Travis was. When you have such an integral piece of the offense leave the team, especially at QB, things aren't going to be the same. That guy knows the offense inside and out, along with all the nuances that come with it. He knows what coverages he wants to see against certain sets, and he knows how to exploit them to the fullest. In the beginning of the season I would expect ASU to go back to a more basic form of their offense and open the playbook as the new QB improves. It all depends on how quickly the starter can learn the playbook. With how much the Socon has improved in the last two years, I'd say ASU has it's work cut out for the 2010 season.

JROCK98
February 23rd, 2010, 08:19 PM
I mean, this isn't the same case of Ritchie Williams. Williams was a great ball player, but he wasn't the sole factor in wins most of the time. In those days, App had a shut down defense they no longer possess. In fact, App beat Furman in the playoffs in a game where Trey Elder played most of the snaps after Williams got hurt.

Granted, it's an oddity to have a team win back to back NCs with different quarterbacks. However, from my seats (and I've watched App play a lot over the years), Williams was not near the keystone that Edwards was. The backbone of that team was Lynch, Murrell, Hunter, and co.

I love the fact that ASU will be the underdog this year!

JROCK98
February 23rd, 2010, 08:24 PM
I agree with the above. The same thing happened at MSU when Travis Lulay left. The whole bit about having stock left at QB when he left gave people peace of mind right up until we realized that they weren't half the QB that Travis was. When you have such an integral piece of the offense leave the team, especially at QB, things aren't going to be the same. That guy knows the offense inside and out, along with all the nuances that come with it. He knows what coverages he wants to see against certain sets, and he knows how to exploit them to the fullest. In the beginning of the season I would expect ASU to go back to a more basic form of their offense and open the playbook as the new QB improves. It all depends on how quickly the starter can learn the playbook. With how much the Socon has improved in the last two years, I'd say ASU has it's work cut out for the 2010 season.

CopperCat
February 23rd, 2010, 08:26 PM

I wouldn't say they're an underdog, but the playing field has been leveled more now that Edwards is gone.

PaladinFan
February 23rd, 2010, 08:26 PM

Not quite sure how you came to that conclusion from what I wrote.

My point is to say that, for App State, it isn't going to be as simple as plugging player A in for player B. It doesn't mean they won't be good. I don't think, however, there will be as large a gap as there has been in years past.

Syntax Error
February 23rd, 2010, 08:44 PM
I wouldn't say they're an underdog, but the playing field has been leveled more now that Edwards is gone.

Well ASU has always had a bit of trouble in conference so nothing's been a breeze. Remember what happened after they beat Michigan? Etc.

UNHAlum
February 23rd, 2010, 10:48 PM

-----

----

just a little to add:
-Vick transferred to cornell and Welch also left to somewhere? Robirto quit
-new QB from georgetown, dont know much about him but certainly #3
-3 speedy receivers is important losing Sicko and Wright
-OL isnt a problem compared to what we faced this past year losing all those starters. Zarkoskie was hurt for a while and he'll be good
-DL will be ok with Murray, Jenkins, Young, McNally, Maillioux
-Vasso and Souza return to be the new hinds and Klein
-Glasgow is back to punt? also, new punter from phillips exeter. expect him to have a shot
-Delago WILL be the PK this coming season

Go...gate
February 24th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Concur with the posts about Colgate. I think the defense must get better. I believe we can win the PL but Lehigh is going to be resurgent and Lafayette will be tough as usual. And Holy Cross may not drop that much without Randolph - as a program, they know how to win again after a long drought, and that is a very important thing.

PaladinFan
February 24th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Concur with the posts about Colgate. I think the defense must get better. I believe we can win the PL but Lehigh is going to be resurgent and Lafayette will be tough as usual. And Holy Cross may not drop that much without Randolph - as a program, they know how to win again after a long drought, and that is a very important thing.

Looking forward to seeing you guys in Greenville. Will be a good early season matchup for both teams.

Saint3333
February 24th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Look for ASU's defense to return to one of the best in the conference and top 20 in the FCS. The last two recruiting classes have been pretty good.

This team I believe relied too much on AE the last two years and many players (like Devin Moore behind an improved o-line) will step up. I'd look for Devin to have 1,500 yards and 20+ TDs this year.

DG Cowboy
February 24th, 2010, 02:17 PM
With LSU and Missou on the schedule, I think McNeese will do well to go 7-4, more likely 6-5 with losses to LSU, Missou, Cal Poly, and 1 or 2 SLC teams. But then, what do I know!

McNeese75
February 24th, 2010, 07:55 PM
With LSU and Missou on the schedule, I think McNeese will do well to go 7-4, more likely 6-5 with losses to LSU, Missou, Cal Poly, and 1 or 2 SLC teams. But then, what do I know!

xeyebrowx Cal Poly???? Should be a good game but I certainly would not be giving it away xlolx

DG Cowboy
February 25th, 2010, 10:50 AM
xeyebrowx Cal Poly???? Should be a good game but I certainly would not be giving it away xlolx

I am projecting that an inexperienced QB at McNeese won't be up to speed by the Cal Poly game. We don't seem to have the FBS QB pipeline that SHSU has.

McNeese75
February 25th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I am projecting that an inexperienced QB at McNeese won't be up to speed by the Cal Poly game. We don't seem to have the FBS QB pipeline that SHSU has.

Pokes have Lamar, Missouri and an open week before Cal Poly comes to town. I think the QB issue should be somewhat settled by then (The D will help as well).

SHSU is not running a QB pipeline over there, it's a brothel :D

CharlestonAppFan
February 26th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Well ASU has always had a bit of trouble in conference so nothing's been a breeze. Remember what happened after they beat Michigan? Etc.

xeyebrowx

Undefeated two years in a row (2008, 2009), lost two games in 2007, undefeated in 2006. Hmmm...xchinscratchx

dawwggboy
November 17th, 2010, 06:21 PM
You are the pre-season pick master