PDA

View Full Version : Lamar OC to Tx Tech w/o Coaching a Game

TexasTerror
January 15th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Lamar is looking for an OC after former SHSU assistant Tommy Mainord has left the program to go to Texas Tech...

Mainord came to SHSU with Todd Whitten from Tarleton State. Ray Woodard wants to keep the same offensive scheme as what Mainord had begun putting in place...

The ripple of college football coaches changing jobs touched Lamar University on Friday, when offensive coordinator Tommy Mainord left LU for an undetermined assistant coaching position at Texas Tech.

The move came just before the Cardinals were set to welcome recruits to campus for weekend visits, but LU coach Ray Woodard said the loss of a key assistant should not heavily impact recruiting.

"I'm happy for him," Woodard said. "I want coaches that other people want. That's the way it happens sometimes. Coaches are going to move for a different opportunity. I was fortunate to have him for a year and a half."

Woodard hired Mainord soon after LU named Woodard as the head coach that would lead LU's first football team since 1989. LU hired Woodard in May 2008, and its first game will be Sept. 4 against McNeese State in Lake Charles, La.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/lu_football_assistant_leaves_for_texas_tech_job.ht ml