PDA

View Full Version : Furman Spring Game Throwback

ashram
January 15th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I have to say, I really like everything about this:

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011410aad.html

Having been born 2 years before we stopped playing at Sirrine, I'm really looking forward to seeing some Furman football there.

grayghost06
January 15th, 2010, 10:17 AM
No smack intended, but is your new stadium that much better than Sirrine? I know it's not on campus, but that old stadium look pretty sweet.
http://www.dp3architects.com/portfolio/historic-adaptive-reuse/sirrine-stadium/

ashram
January 15th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Someone who's been to more Greenville High games could probably answer better than I could, but I'd say Sirrine is pretty nice for a high school stadium. Paladin Stadium definitely is much nicer, even if it could use a few upgrades.

Reign of Terrier
January 15th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I started my first and only 9th grade football game at that stadium...we beat 'em pretty badly and I blocked an XP

Reign of Terrier
January 15th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I hate watching games there though...the concrete seems to be a little bit aggressive to me

catamount man
January 15th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Sirrine Stadium is a dump in the HOOD part of Gville. Lots of hooligans hang around that stadium. Furman getting out of that part of Gville was a good thing.

ashram
January 15th, 2010, 01:13 PM
You're in the hood if you go some directions from Sirrine, but some of Greenville's nicest, oldest neighborhoods are pretty close by. That seems to be the way a lot of Greenville is set up. If you go to a Greenville High game on a Friday night, chances are you're going to park a few blocks away and walk to the stadium. I've never had a problem walking through there.

I just really like the idea of them playing two former coaches against each other in the old stadium, and playing it more like a real game and less like a glorified practice.

OL FU
January 15th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Great ideaxthumbsupx

Cman, do you realize ( hindsight being 20/20, not to mention 50 years removed) if Furman had remained in the same location it would now be a flight of stairs from Furman to Falls Park and a short walk across such park to the entertainment center of Greenville. Not complaining because FU needed the room and who knew what downtown Greenville would become, but it would be an absolutely marvelous place to have a campusxnodx

Maybe we can put the law school therexsmiley_wix

OL FU
January 15th, 2010, 01:35 PM
No smack intended, but is your new stadium that much better than Sirrine? I know it's not on campus, but that old stadium look pretty sweet.
http://www.dp3architects.com/portfolio/historic-adaptive-reuse/sirrine-stadium/

New stadium is on campus and a little bigger. But it ain't that new. Good and bad about it being on campus. The students are there. But it has removed Furman from Greenville which has been a real problem. More so with basketball. Clemson is 25 miles from Greenville so the competition is tough. We could never really compete in football. But I would say during the 50s, 60s and 70s and even part of the 80s, Furman was Greenville's team in Bball. The move to the campus and not a lot of community outreach has seperated the school from the city. The new president has said getting us back in touch with Greenville is a priority. I am certain this is one of those steps.

ASUG8
January 15th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Sirrine Stadium is a dump in the HOOD part of Gville. Lots of hooligans hang around that stadium. Furman getting out of that part of Gville was a good thing.

Thanks C-man - I'm probably less than a mile from there, homey. :D

From my house to Sirrine I have to drive past some of the biggest old money Greenville homes in the area.

furman94
January 15th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Agreed. No need to bash downtown Greenville... I'm pretty sure we've won quite a few awards for our "Hood" and the hooligans that live in it. The areas around Sirrine and Camperdown have been revitalized recently... you should check it out next time you make an assumption based of of prior experiences.

catamount man
January 16th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Agreed. No need to bash downtown Greenville... I'm pretty sure we've won quite a few awards for our "Hood" and the hooligans that live in it. The areas around Sirrine and Camperdown have been revitalized recently... you should check it out next time you make an assumption based of of prior experiences.

dude I just worked in gville this past january-November so I don't make assumptions. Yes, the homes around Sirrine to Cleveland Park are nice but then ONE BLOCK OVER is cracktown USA where the best in society live.

sorry, greenville is just overrated to me and I've lived here my entire life. would rather hang in anderson or clemson, but that's just me. hell, seneca's better, but, again, just me.

OL FU
January 17th, 2010, 02:45 PM
dude I just worked in gville this past january-November so I don't make assumptions. Yes, the homes around Sirrine to Cleveland Park are nice but then ONE BLOCK OVER is cracktown USA where the best in society live.

sorry, greenville is just overrated to me and I've lived here my entire life. would rather hang in anderson or clemson, but that's just me. hell, seneca's better, but, again, just me.

xeyebrowx I have been to Senecaxeyebrowxxsmiley_wix

furman94
January 18th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I rode through Seneca yesterday on the way back from Franklin... to each his own... :)

ASUG8
January 18th, 2010, 02:37 PM

Watch the local news - any night is fine - and tell me that Greenville is more crime infested than Anderson or Spartanburg. I work in Anderson, but I think I'll keep my house in the Greenville hood near Sirrine - but that's just me.xscanx

ashram
January 18th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Speaking of rough neighborhoods, this thread took a wrong turn somewhere...

PaladinNation
January 18th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Well, let's try to turn this thread back around…

Downtown Greenville has changed a lot since the last Furman Football game played in Sirrine… 1980. Downtown Greenville has become a destination for walking, park-going, dining, arts, shopping, and baseball. Bringing Furman Football to downtown will take much needed baby steps to raise awareness of Furman Football not just to Downtown residents but to the families that flock to downtown from the suburbs.