PDA

View Full Version : Army All-American Star Still Set For Dartmouth?

Cooper
January 15th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Cole Marcoux, the 6-5, 234-pound New York City QB who wowed people at the U.S. Army All-American Game, was an early decision admit at Dartmouth of the Ivy League.

But after he won the East offensive game ball when he threw two fourth-quarter touchdown passes, Tom Lemming, the CBS College Sports recruiting analyst wrote, "I think Notre Dame should go after this kid. And if Notre Dame doesn't go after him, someone else will. ...He's got a rifle arm. He can make all the throws."

Message boards from LSU, Notre Dame, Cal, Nebraska, Louisiana Tech and others have been raving about the kid but on the Big Green Alert blog (http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com/) it sounds as if he's going to follow through on his commitment to Dartmouth. Lots of links about the kid if you scan down.

UNHFan99
January 15th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Too bad they are afraid to continue playing UNH. I would have liked to see this kid compete.

MplsBison
January 15th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Does Dartmouth have a certain school or college that is considered the best of the Ivy? Like, a school of journalism, or something off the beaten path where Dartmouth would be considered the best in the world?

Otherwise, why would he choose to go there when he should be able to go to any of the Ivy schools and play?

Franks Tanks
January 15th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Does Dartmouth have a certain school or college that is considered the best of the Ivy? Like, a school of journalism, or something off the beaten path where Dartmouth would be considered the best in the world?

Otherwise, why would he choose to go there when he should be able to go to any of the Ivy schools and play?

Dartmouth is considered by many as having the finest undergrad education in the US.

Harvard and Yale have more diverse and prestigious grad programs and are considered better overall universities, but when it comes to an undergrad setting many choose Dartmouth over HYP.

EastCoast
January 15th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Dartmouth has more Ivy football championships than any other school in the conference (since the official founding of the conference).

Dartmouth has produced several starting NFL quarterbacks: Jay Fielder and Jeff Kemp.

Dartmouth's head coach is a former college qb.

A good qb may be able to come in and be a 4-year starter.

Besides the focus on undergraduate education, Dartmouth is more fun and has better social life than the rest of the Ivies.

breezy
January 15th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Do I recall correctly that Dartmouth had a young (sophomore) QB this season who seemed to get better as the year went on?

Hard to imagine a frosh QB getting the starting nod under those circumstances (barring injury of course).

CFBfan
January 15th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Dartmouth has more Ivy football championships than any other school in the conference (since the official founding of the conference).

Dartmouth has produced several starting NFL quarterbacks: Jay Fielder and Jeff Kemp.

Dartmouth's head coach is a former college qb.

A good qb may be able to come in and be a 4-year starter.

Besides the focus on undergraduate education, Dartmouth is more fun and has better social life than the rest of the Ivies.

you were doing OK until your last point....an alum no doubt!

Crusader2010
January 15th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Does anyone know what high school he's from in NYC?

lionsrking2
January 15th, 2010, 01:02 PM
The other thing to consider, is maybe that's where he WANTS to go to school...great school, he likes it, why not?!!

Cooper
January 15th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Does anyone know what high school he's from in NYC?

The Fieldston School. His coach played at Notre Dame, Michigan State and Rowan before a few stops in pro football.

LBPop
January 15th, 2010, 03:55 PM
The other thing to consider, is maybe that's where he WANTS to go to school...great school, he likes it, why not?!!

Having visited Dartmouth during recruiting about six years ago, my impression is that because it is unique, kids will usually love it or hate it. The campus is beautiful (but a little chilly in January--the mid-day high was -8 when we were there). Clearly the education is first rate, but the social life that was mentioned earlier in this thread appeared to be 100% on campus. There's not much nearby for variety.

LBKid loved the people, loved the scenery, but did not want the isolation. That's why he went in the other direction--urban, but with a campus.

nms1987
January 15th, 2010, 04:04 PM

Wow, what a dick comment. And what a stupid one too.

First off, college rankings are guesstimation at best. They aren't objective and don't measure anything concrete. You know how sketchy college FB rankings can be? Academic rankings are even more unreliable.

Furthermore, WTF? Do you only go to a school that is #1 in something?
How stupid is that idea. No sane person anywhere would tell you just to go to the #1 ranked school in whatever it is you like no matter what. You've got to take everything into consideration... campus, people, location, culture, extra-curricular (football?), personal preference, ect.

By your logic every top HS FB player in the land would go to Bama and only Bama this year. You know how silly that sounds right?

MplsBison
January 15th, 2010, 05:07 PM

Wow, what a dick comment. And what a stupid one too.

First off, college rankings are guesstimation at best. They aren't objective and don't measure anything concrete. You know how sketchy college FB rankings can be? Academic rankings are even more unreliable.

Furthermore, WTF? Do you only go to a school that is #1 in something?
How stupid is that idea. No sane person anywhere would tell you just to go to the #1 ranked school in whatever it is you like no matter what. You've got to take everything into consideration... campus, people, location, culture, extra-curricular (football?), personal preference, ect.

By your logic every top HS FB player in the land would go to Bama and only Bama this year. You know how silly that sounds right?

Don't pretend to be so naive.

The kid obviously has the fb talent to pick the Ivy school of his choice. And obviously, everyone except Dartmouth alumns would agree that Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc. are more prestigious schools to go to.

Therefore, why choose a "lesser" school if he could have chosen one of those?

The first thing that popped into my head was: "Maybe Dartmouth has some program that is better than all the other Ivy schools?"

nms1987
January 15th, 2010, 06:38 PM
The kid obviously has the fb talent to pick the Ivy school of his choice. And obviously, everyone except Dartmouth alumns would agree that Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc. are more prestigious schools to go to.

But, again, prestige isn't everything. Not everyone picks their college based on prestige. Thats stupid. Furthermore, prestige is just appearances, it isn't anything concrete, and everyone views different schools differently.

Frankly, it would be stupid to choose your college based on the vauge concept of "prestige".

Cooper
January 15th, 2010, 06:41 PM
The quote one of the gurus gave was something like, "This kid wasn't under the radar. He was under the dashboard." The guess here is that Dartmouth was the first on him. He applied early and now if he wants Ivy it's pretty much Dartmouth or nobody.

Ivytalk
January 15th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Good for Dartmouth!xthumbsupx Hope he helps the program bounce back.

Bogus Megapardus
January 15th, 2010, 08:20 PM
What's the status of the returning O-Line for the Green? Will this kid have some guys up front to help him out?

PUBand09
January 15th, 2010, 09:34 PM
This is pretty awesome... and surprising. I'll definitely have to check out some of the Princeton-Dartmouth games in coming years.

ngineer
January 15th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Dartmouth is considered by many as having the finest undergrad education in the US.

Harvard and Yale have more diverse and prestigious grad programs and are considered better overall universities, but when it comes to an undergrad setting many choose Dartmouth over HYP.

One of my former partner's sons went to Dartmouth and absolutely loved it, and is now in med school. I've never heard a bad word about the place...other than its recent level of football...

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 16th, 2010, 12:03 PM
One of my former partner's sons went to Dartmouth and absolutely loved it, and is now in med school. I've never heard a bad word about the place...other than its recent level of football...

I met someone who grew up in Florida, hates the snow and cold, did four years at Dartmouth and loved it. Went right back to Florida though!! xnodx :D

Probably the only people who would dislike Dartmouth are hard core urbanites. Somehow if they go Ivy, then they've probably selected Penn, Columbia or Harvard. Maybe Brown or Yale so they don't go cold turkey on city living.

rcny46
January 17th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Don't pretend to be so naive.

Therefore, why choose a "lesser" school if he could have chosen one of those?

The first thing that popped into my head was: "Maybe Dartmouth has some program that is better than all the other Ivy schools?"

He chose (if that is actually the case) Dartmouth because he wants to attend that institution.I'm sure he was aware that he had other options.Where in the heck do you get off referring to Dartmouth as a "lesser" school? I can't believe that some sought after HS football player's choice of institutions is analyzed and dissected the way it is.

MplsBison
January 17th, 2010, 06:59 PM
He chose (if that is actually the case) Dartmouth because he wants to attend that institution.I'm sure he was aware that he had other options.Where in the heck do you get off referring to Dartmouth as a "lesser" school? I can't believe that some sought after HS football player's choice of institutions is analyzed and dissected the way it is.

If your son had an apples to apples offer to play football and go to school at Harvard or Dartmouth, you'd be fine with him picking Dartmouth?

As I said, don't pretend to be naive.

Sader87
January 17th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I had a lot more fun at road trips to Dartmouth than at Harvard...just sayin'.

centraljerseycat
January 17th, 2010, 07:24 PM
If the kid has talent and wants an Ivy League education then why not go to Penn, Harvard or Yale...hell anywhere but Dartmouth. Buddy Teevens hasn't had a winning season since the Reagan Administration.

nms1987
January 18th, 2010, 12:17 AM
If your son had an apples to apples offer to play football and go to school at Harvard or Dartmouth, you'd be fine with him picking Dartmouth?

Of course. Who dropped you on your head?

You've got this weird warped idea of college selection being a hard and fast thing. X > Y.
Not a single sane professor, dean, researcher or admissions counselor would tell you it is that simple. If it was that simple every single kid on earth who was admitted to both would ever go to Dartmouth, yet that obviously isn't true.
US News and World Report rankings are the last thing someone should seriously consider when looking for what college is for them. There are so many other factors that are more relevant, especially when comparing two schools that are obviously strong academically.
You won't be turned away from any job or grad program because you "only" have a Dartmouth degree.

By your logic someone could just rank every single college on earth, using whatever figures suited them, and we could just assign kids to various schools and send them there because, in your world, no one would choose college A over college B.

I'll put this in football terms. Alabama won the national title this year. But Florida was also a great team. Would anyone think it was shocking for a kid to choose a Florida football scholly over Alabama? Of course not.

This is sheer lunacy.

CFBfan
January 18th, 2010, 06:38 AM

Of course. Who dropped you on your head?

You've got this weird warped idea of college selection being a hard and fast thing. X > Y.
Not a single sane professor, dean, researcher or admissions counselor would tell you it is that simple. If it was that simple every single kid on earth who was admitted to both would ever go to Dartmouth, yet that obviously isn't true.
US News and World Report rankings are the last thing someone should seriously consider when looking for what college is for them. There are so many other factors that are more relevant, especially when comparing two schools that are obviously strong academically.
You won't be turned away from any job or grad program because you "only" have a Dartmouth degree.

By your logic someone could just rank every single college on earth, using whatever figures suited them, and we could just assign kids to various schools and send them there because, in your world, no one would choose college A over college B.

I'll put this in football terms. Alabama won the national title this year. But Florida was also a great team. Would anyone think it was shocking for a kid to choose a Florida football scholly over Alabama? Of course not.

This is sheer lunacy.

in addition to your ongoing sarcasim and arrogance, your Alabama/Florida analogy is BS

RookieWill
January 18th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I have a degree from Harvard and have spent a fair bit of time in Hanover. If any of my children had the opportunty to pick between Dartmouth and Harvard, I would prefer for him to choose the former (and I loved my time in cambridge). Dartmouth is a very unique place that you can't easily duplicate in the ivy league. I believe it more duplicates the traditional college experience than Harvard. Their almuni network is tremendous and he can always get a graduate degree from Harvard, Princeton or Yale.

(this is a general comment - I am not considering the football Programs)

MplsBison
January 18th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I have a degree from Harvard and have spent a fair bit of time in Hanover. If any of my children had the opportunty to pick between Dartmouth and Harvard, I would prefer for him to choose the former (and I loved my time in cambridge). Dartmouth is a very unique place that you can't easily duplicate in the ivy league. I believe it more duplicates the traditional college experience than Harvard. Their almuni network is tremendous and he can always get a graduate degree from Harvard, Princeton or Yale.

(this is a general comment - I am not considering the football Programs)

That's nice.

But it still does not make sense to me. I think most people would rather have their kid go to Harvard than Dartmouth.

Obviously just not people who post on this board.