PDA

View Full Version : Latest pictures of Robins Stadium

bostonspider
January 13th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Construction at Robins Stadium is progressing along in Richmond. They really are putting in all the little architectural details, which will go a long way in making the stadium feel a part of UR's campus. Though this is also the main reason why this stadium is so expensive for its size. Looking forward to getting back down to Richmond this Fall to see the new place for my self. Check out these galleries.

http://www.richmondspiders.com/view.gal?id=61360

http://www.richmondspiders.com/view.gal?id=61361

henfan
January 13th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I was at the sight right before construction began. It's going to be a beautiful little facility, albeit it undersized for program of UR's stature. Basically, a smaller version of Zable Stadium.

Getting to Robins could be a real nightmare, compared with the convenient location of the Richmond Stadium. If it's raining, forget about parking cars in the intramural fields on campus. It'll be interesting to say the least, unless you're a student walking to the game.

bostonspider
January 13th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Well yes and no. UR has had plenty of experience at getting 8-9K people into the site for basketball games. The large lot next to the Robins Center will be cleared of student cars, which will allow for most fan's parking. I imagine the law lot across from the stadium, and the lot in front of the fraternities will be Spider Club parking. I would worry more about getting out than getting to the stadium...

WVAPPmountaineer
January 13th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Looks like Elon's stadium ----

WyomingGrizFan
January 13th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Looks like it's going to have a track wrapped around the playling field; but besides that, it looks like it's going to be a pretty decent facility overall. I just happen to have a penchant for football fields without the track.

Is this arena going to be available for opening game next season?

DaBigBlue
January 13th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Getting to Robins could be a real nightmare, compared with the convenient location of the Richmond Stadium. If it's raining, forget about parking cars in the intramural fields on campus. It'll be interesting to say the least, unless you're a student walking to the game.

I think leaving Robins is the worst and that is with only 3k-4k, I can't even imagine 8K. I guess the whole traffic thing is the reason it's so small. The overall look is going to be very nice. Is the field going to be a muilt-use with the different lines.xeyebrowx

seattlespider
January 13th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Looks like it's going to have a track wrapped around the playling field; but besides that, it looks like it's going to be a pretty decent facility overall. I just happen to have a penchant for football fields without the track.

Is this arena going to be available for opening game next season?

Yep, it will be open for Elon next September.

URMite
January 13th, 2010, 10:53 PM
To be honest, first with the Weinstein center and now this construction, the parking around Robins Stad/Ctr hasn't been like it used to be and I'll be glad when the dust settles.

ur2k
January 13th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I think leaving Robins is the worst and that is with only 3k-4k, I can't even imagine 8K. I guess the whole traffic thing is the reason it's so small. The overall look is going to be very nice. Is the field going to be a muilt-use with the different lines.xeyebrowx

Yup, its a multi-use stadium - that's why we get the track and the lines.

SpiderSafety75
January 15th, 2010, 08:03 AM
The track was already there. That's been the home of the track team since the 1920's. I played freshman football on that field. The baseball team used to play there until their facility was built in the late 70's. Soccer has been playing there for awhile now, too. Looking forward to watching games at the same location where I played a few games, including the intramural soccer championship of 1977! Go United! :)

As for parking, that's the biggest reason that the stadium is the size it is, as ur2k mentions. 10K for basketball is the absolute max the campus can handle, and unlike most schools, there aren't nearly aux facilities to use (I assume if they still have control of the large parcel of land on Three Chopt next to the Village that they might shuttle from there, though I'm not sure about that. We used to play intramural softball over there.) As any student or fans knows, the problem is - two ways in, two ways out, one lane each way. But being on campus means there can be things to do, alumni parties, etc.

Overall, it's a HUGE plus for the school AND the program. UR is the little guy, and Richmond is more metro than the areas of a lot of FBS schools with a less focused fan base to draw from. In the LONG run, 8500 seats should nearly meet demand, except for JMU and W&M and Del...and the bottom line is, what choice did they have? You can't keep pouring money into First Market/City Stadium. I wish they had seen fit to go up a little to maybe 10K, but 8500 will be fine - as long as I can get tickets and they don't start gouging us or make us give thousands a year to get them! (Liberal arts major here, I have a satisfying life, but I don't make the big bucks!)

SFspidur
January 15th, 2010, 08:57 AM
"I assume if they still have control of the large parcel of land on Three Chopt next to the Village that they might shuttle from there, though I'm not sure about that. We used to play intramural softball over there."

Bandy Field...and UR never officially had control of it. It was owned by the city and UR tried to buy it 5-10 years ago to use as intramural fields and possible future expansion (guaranteed by the university not to happen for several decades), but the community went up in arms over it. So the city nixed the deal and it's officially a city park now.

Long term plans call for a parking deck on X-lot, so that could be an option for increasing stadium capacity. Traffic flow will remain an issue with the residential streets though. UR has agreed to connect several dead-ends out in the apartments to create through streets that should assist with flow out onto River Road.