Sat, Oct 30 FURMAN (Black Saturday) * BOONE, N.C. TBA

Sat, Nov 06 Georgia Southern * at Statesboro, Ga. TBA

Sat, Nov 13 WOFFORD * BOONE, N.C. TBA

Sat, Nov 20 Florida at Gainesville, Fla. TBA

* Conference Games

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=204868148

TexasTerror
January 12th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Very curious to see how that Florida game at the end impacts the team in a number of ways. Other than that, the remainder of the out of conference slate is relatively weak - but I do not blame a school that is losing their starting QB for going that direction, especially with the turf wars ahead in the SoCon.

T-Dog
January 12th, 2010, 02:51 PM
It's not for a lack of trying though. We have some tough future schedules including in 2013 where we go to Montana AND Georgia. Can't go all out every year.

TexasTerror
January 12th, 2010, 02:58 PM
It's not for a lack of trying though. We have some tough future schedules including in 2013 where we go to Montana AND Georgia. Can't go all out every year.

It's an all Division I schedule.

Can not complain about it at all. Would love to see some more SoCon vs SLC matchups. Looks like we got Samford-NWST on tap the next few years plus McN-ASU down the road...got to increase'em! :)

biggie
January 12th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah, figured the 2 'lower' level OOC games this year. No other 'higher' in-state Div 1 teams will play us, that will change if we are bad again. They also would have wanted both of the OOC games to be at home to get 6, no way most strong teams would want to play in Boone.

But the McNeese St, Montana home 'n home games as well as GA and VT coming up in the next few years will be good.

T-Dog
January 12th, 2010, 03:06 PM
It's an all Division I schedule.

Can not complain about it at all. Would love to see some more SoCon vs SLC matchups. Looks like we got Samford-NWST on tap the next few years plus McN-ASU down the road...got to increase'em! :)

Also, NC Central officially becomes playoff eligible in 2010 so they count towards the 7 DI wins needed for the playoffs. xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
January 12th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Also, NC Central officially becomes playoff eligible in 2010 so they count towards the 7 DI wins needed for the playoffs. xthumbsupx

They had already been eligible as a counter for the seven Division I wins prior to the 2010 slate - though as we've been told time and time again, that's not an official number needed, though it certainly does help!

T-Dog
January 12th, 2010, 03:18 PM
They had already been eligible as a counter for the seven Division I wins prior to the 2010 slate - though as we've been told time and time again, that's not an official number needed, though it certainly does help!

Really? I was under the impression that 2009 was their final transition year, which is why App fans were freaking out at 0-2 last year with NC Central on the schedule.

Bogus Megapardus
January 12th, 2010, 03:20 PM
App State - please consider scheduling a northeastern team one of these days. You guys are very well-regarded up here, and would be a guarantee sellout just about everywhere if you decide to travel. And just imagine the curiosity factor to your fans if one of us goes down there. Thank you.

appmaj
January 12th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Good schedule...was hoping for a game against Duke, Wake, etc

WVAPPmountaineer
January 12th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Really? I was under the impression that 2009 was their final transition year, which is why App fans were freaking out at 0-2 last year with NC Central on the schedule.

Yes NCCU did count for us last year - however because of the transition they did not count for Duke toward bowl eligibility ----

TexasTerror
January 12th, 2010, 03:34 PM

Central Arkansas has counted as a Div I team for two years and they become a full Div I team in 2010. I think it is year two of the four-year process in which you count as a Div I team - not 100% sure.

SpeedkingATL
January 12th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Schedule looks great to me as all road games except Florida are within easy driving distance for us Atlanta Apps. I already have my Florida tickets and crash pad secured with a close buddy and Gator Alum so I should make all road games in 2010.xhurrayx

It's a good schedule considering the circumstances, but wish UTC was in week 3 instead of leading off. They are no longer a pushover and may very well contend in the SoCon next year. Weeks 2 and 3 should help our new QB get his feet wet before the heart of the schedule. We still have GSU, Furple, and Wofford back to back to back as has become tradition.

appmaj
January 12th, 2010, 03:39 PM
The more i think about the Florida game the more i do not understand the timing...for either team.

The Moody1
January 12th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Good to see the Chattanooga game isn't on Thursday as was rumored.

The Moody1
January 12th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Good schedule...was hoping for a game against Duke, Wake, etc

Florida is much better. I am already making my plans to go to Gainesville.

appmaj
January 12th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Florida is much better. I am already making my plans to go to Gainesville.

I agree but if you really think about it, it may 2nd team vs 2nd team xtwocentsx

biggie
January 12th, 2010, 03:55 PM
FL game for FL is a 'tune up' for SEC Championship, same as last season, they want an 'easy' win.

Chatty still rumored to be played on Thursday, nothing either way in stone yet.

BlackNGold
January 12th, 2010, 05:27 PM
So why are we playing a Conference Game before non-conference ones?

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 12th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Is it just a coincidence that the GSU-ASU game is getting later in the year every year?

clintc
January 12th, 2010, 06:36 PM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/1176484.html

UNH Fanboi
January 12th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Very curious to see how that Florida game at the end impacts the team in a number of ways. Other than that, the remainder of the out of conference slate is relatively weak - but I do not blame a school that is losing their starting QB for going that direction, especially with the turf wars ahead in the SoCon.

In general, there's very little incentive for a team from one of the power conferences to schedule a tough OOC FCS games.

AppMan
January 12th, 2010, 07:06 PM
A non scholarship program and transitional FCS. Pitiful. It is going be hard to get our normal (not die hard) fans to part with cash in these economic times for those teams. Not busting on anyone, but they simply aren't very attractive to many of our fans.

UNH Fanboi
January 12th, 2010, 07:43 PM
A non scholarship program and transitional FCS. Pitiful. It is going be hard to get our normal (not die hard) fans to part with cash in these economic times for those teams. Not busting on anyone, but they simply aren't very attractive to many of our fans.

Won't you guys draw 20K+ pretty much regardless of who you're playing?

Touchdown Yosef
January 12th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Won't you guys draw 20K+ pretty much regardless of who you're playing?

we should but fans continue to look for the next 30k game.

appmaj
January 12th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Is it just a coincidence that the GSU-ASU game is getting later in the year every year?

Seems to be the big rivalry for App right now

appmaj
January 12th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Florida, Laaaaaate in the season

g-webb1994
January 12th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Appy is sandwiched between UF's SEC finale and the FSU game.....'trap' game if their ever was one.....

whoanellie
January 12th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I like the date as it is at Boone during a good time of the year hopefilly better than '07 no & AE get ready for a whippin.

ASU Tailgaiteer
January 12th, 2010, 08:56 PM

It's just the mathmatics of the schedule at work. With 4 Southern Conference road games and Florida, there's no room for a Duke or even an ECU rematch, while still playing six games at the Rock.

With the upcoming home and home's with Montana and the road trip to McNeese State, it's hard to schedule a quality CAA school which would require another home and home, which does not fit with only one "open" road game a year.

Then, you get into the FBS schools that won't play us.

ASU Tailgaiteer
January 12th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I like the date as it is at Boone during a good time of the year hopefilly better than '07 no & AE get ready for a whippin.

Grammar check on Aisle 1.

ThompsonThe
January 12th, 2010, 09:38 PM
So that fElon QB gets one last shot at beating us. Priceless.

Going to be interesting going into the playoffs with a Florida win to build on.

proasu89
January 12th, 2010, 10:41 PM
App State - please consider scheduling a northeastern team one of these days. You guys are very well-regarded up here, and would be a guarantee sellout just about everywhere if you decide to travel. And just imagine the curiosity factor to your fans if one of us goes down there. Thank you.

xchinscratchx I'll talk to the powers that be.

appmaj
January 13th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Grammar check on Aisle 1.

xlolxxlolx

89Hen
January 13th, 2010, 07:28 AM
You should just be thankful that UNC-C doesn't have football yet. xwhistlex :p

appmaj
January 13th, 2010, 08:23 AM
You should just be thankful that UNC-C doesn't have football yet. xwhistlex :p

With their fan support, stadium, & talent they have to schedule this years top 10 & Ga State. xrolleyesx

jonmac
January 13th, 2010, 08:29 AM
So that fElon QB gets one last shot at beating us. Priceless.

Going to be interesting going into the playoffs with a Florida win to build on.

I like the way you think.

Appinator
January 13th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Man, this schedule was a disappointment to me. Don't worry, I will be renewing my season tickets, but JU AND NCCU? Really?

I know we were looking for another home game to give us 6, but if we have to go to the PL well again, why not play Davidson? Much more likely to get away fans from them and one non-scolly is pretty much the same as any other in my eyes.

Like some others mentioned, I wish we at least played a mid range team from another auto-bid conference. If they want a home and home, give the return game in 2014.

The good news is that the home conference schedule is AWESOME. Elon, FU, and WC all at home will be nice for our new QB. Not that anyone had anything to do with that portion, but just lucky with that.

WVAPPmountaineer
January 13th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Man, this schedule was a disappointment to me. Don't worry, I will be renewing my season tickets, but JU AND NCCU? Really?

I know we were looking for another home game to give us 6, but if we have to go to the PL well again, why not play Davidson? Much more likely to get away fans from them and one non-scolly is pretty much the same as any other in my eyes.

Like some others mentioned, I wish we at least played a mid range team from another auto-bid conference. If they want a home and home, give the return game in 2014.

The good news is that the home conference schedule is AWESOME. Elon, FU, and WC all at home will be nice for our new QB. Not that anyone had anything to do with that portion, but just lucky with that.

Remember the opponent must agree to come to Boone to play APP - show me a list of those who want to do that? ---- my guess is that the list is very small ----

Appinator
January 13th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Remember the opponent must agree to come to Boone to play APP - show me a list of those who want to do that? ---- my guess is that the list is very small ----

Small list indeed, but it just seems like we have been fortunate enough to only have one of these types of games a season in previous years.

Assuming we are 2-1 with our non-conference foes, we have a great shot at losing two conference games next year. Do those victories do anything for a team's resume at 8-3 when not winning the conference? Just puts the team in a tough position.

jstclmet
January 13th, 2010, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=T-Dog;1507074]Sat, Sep 04 Chattanooga * at Chattanooga, Tenn. TBA

Sat, Sep 11 JACKSONVILLE BOONE, N.C. TBA

Sat, Sep 18 NORTH CAROLINA CENTRAL BOONE, N.C. TBA

Sat, Oct 02 Samford * at Birmingham, Ala. TBA

Sat, Oct 09 ELON (Homecoming) * BOONE, N.C. TBA

Sat, Oct 16 THE CITADEL * BOONE, N.C. TBA

Sat, Oct 23 Western Carolina * at Cullowhee, N.C. TBA

Sat, Oct 30 FURMAN (Black Saturday) * BOONE, N.C. TBA

Sat, Nov 06 Georgia Southern * at Statesboro, Ga. TBA

Sat, Nov 13 WOFFORD * BOONE, N.C. TBA

Sat, Nov 20 Florida at Gainesville, Fla. TBA

* Conference Games
QUOTE]

That's a real good schedule. If I had the time, I'd love to do a "SOCON FORECAST". Someone more knowledgeable about SOCON football should have the honor. At first blush, I can't see ASU going undefeated in conference, but if they finish 9 - 2 (assuming UF loss), that won't be bad. But, honestly, there may be room for one or two more "L's" depending on how well the rest of the conference improves. Their Bye is early, and every game from Elon on will be close.

8 more months.xoopsx

biggie
January 13th, 2010, 11:24 AM
To me I'm betting on the SoCon Champ to have 2 losses in Conf next year, too many changes for the upper teams and some lower teams coming around.

slostang
January 13th, 2010, 12:38 PM

I really think that Cal Poly playing Wisconsin the last game of the season in 2008 hurt their chances of making a deep run in the playoffs. They were both physically and mentally beat going into the playoff game against Weber State.

JMU Newbill
January 13th, 2010, 12:42 PM
App St just had to go and one-up JMU, eh?

JMU schedules Virginia Tech..... App St. schedules Florida.

I see how it is....

T-Dog
January 13th, 2010, 01:18 PM
App St just had to go and one-up JMU, eh?

JMU schedules Virginia Tech..... App St. schedules Florida.

I see how it is....

We have Virginia Teach in 2011. :D

http://www.appfan.com/blog/?p=2574

GannonFan
January 13th, 2010, 02:21 PM
That's a real good schedule.

It's an okay schedule and it does the job of ensuring home games and an FBS payday, but if this is a "good" schedule then how does anyone ever not have a "good" schedule. I'll be the first to admit that UD is in the same category - lots of cupcake teams that only come to Newark (i.e. home date paydays) and one decent game (this year SDSU comes to Newark as opposed to an FBS payday) but I wouldn't call UD's schedule "real good" either.

With Appy St's schedule, they won't play a significant game outside of their conference against another FCS team all year until the playoffs - posters routinely criticize the 9-game mandates seen in the SWAC and MEAC for similar lack of FCS play. That's the part of the Appy St schedule I don't like (and the part I like about their future schedules since they correct this in the future).

jstclmet
January 13th, 2010, 03:20 PM
It's an okay schedule and it does the job of ensuring home games and an FBS payday, but if this is a "good" schedule then how does anyone ever not have a "good" schedule. I'll be the first to admit that UD is in the same category - lots of cupcake teams that only come to Newark (i.e. home date paydays) and one decent game (this year SDSU comes to Newark as opposed to an FBS payday) but I wouldn't call UD's schedule "real good" either.

With Appy St's schedule, they won't play a significant game outside of their conference against another FCS team all year until the playoffs - posters routinely criticize the 9-game mandates seen in the SWAC and MEAC for similar lack of FCS play. That's the part of the Appy St schedule I don't like (and the part I like about their future schedules since they correct this in the future).

Perhaps "GOOD" was the wrong adjective. Would "Competitive" suit you better???

IMHO, I don't think ASU will waltz through the SOCON. If ever there was a year for them to be picked off, this would be the year. If they can get through their conference with 1, maybe 2 losses, and win their conference title, they would have earned it. In previous years, the rest of the SOCON could not keep pace. 2010 could shake out to coming down to the last weekend. ASU may be on the outside looking in as they will be playing OOC UF, and more than likely taking a loss. Other SOCON contenders could be playing their way into the playoffs on that final weekend.

Not sure what comparing ASU's schedule to UD's would achieve. I would be very much interested in seeing the two schools play, but that won't happen unless both make the playoffs. If both teams can finish 2010 @ 7 - 4 (UD may actually need to go 8 - 3), then we could possibly see them in action on TG weekend.

GannonFan
January 13th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Perhaps "GOOD" was the wrong adjective. Would "Competitive" suit you better???

IMHO, I don't think ASU will waltz through the SOCON. If ever there was a year for them to be picked off, this would be the year. If they can get through their conference with 1, maybe 2 losses, and win their conference title, they would have earned it. In previous years, the rest of the SOCON could not keep pace. 2010 could shake out to coming down to the last weekend. ASU may be on the outside looking in as they will be playing OOC UF, and more than likely taking a loss. Other SOCON contenders could be playing their way into the playoffs on that final weekend.

Not sure what comparing ASU's schedule to UD's would achieve. I would be very much interested in seeing the two schools play, but that won't happen unless both make the playoffs. If both teams can finish 2010 @ 7 - 4 (UD may actually need to go 8 - 3), then we could possibly see them in action on TG weekend.

My only point was looking at the OOC part of the schedule, i.e. the part that any school actually controls, Appy is pretty much playing two FCS cupcakes and then an FBS payday. Touting the conference schedule is fine and all, but with that logic a SoCon team or a CAA team could play absolutely nobody OOC and it would still be called a "competitive" or a "good" schedule. IMO, at least, I'd rather see some cross-FCS games before the playoffs, and this schedule is no better than a SWAC/MEAC 9 game mandate schedule in that regard.

Skjellyfetti
January 13th, 2010, 04:30 PM
With Appy St's schedule, they won't play a significant game outside of their conference against another FCS team all year until the playoffs.

I could be missing a team... but, I think App and McNeese were the only teams in the playoffs last year that played an actual quality FCS team OOC.* Neither team was given much credit for playing a tougher than average OOC FCS schedule. Now that App is playing a schedule similar to most FCS schools... it's "weak"...... xrolleyesxxsmhx What playoff teams would you tout as having a "good ooc schedule" last year?

*South Dakota State deserves credit for scheduling Cal Poly and Georgia Southern... they couldn't help the fact that both those teams did not meet expectations and were sub .500.

jstclmet
January 13th, 2010, 04:47 PM
My only point was looking at the OOC part of the schedule, i.e. the part that any school actually controls, Appy is pretty much playing two FCS cupcakes and then an FBS payday. Touting the conference schedule is fine and all, but with that logic a SoCon team or a CAA team could play absolutely nobody OOC and it would still be called a "competitive" or a "good" schedule. IMO, at least, I'd rather see some cross-FCS games before the playoffs, and this schedule is no better than a SWAC/MEAC 9 game mandate schedule in that regard.

ASU has an FBS team in UF. Yes, they should defeat Jacksonville & NCC and go 2 - 1 OOC.

UD has D2 WCU, SDSU, and Duquesne all at home. UD should do no worse than 2 - 1, going into CAA play.

ASU will need to find 5 conference wins, where UD would need to find 6, if they cannot sweep their OOC games.

In week #2, UD may be looking at a must win game against SDSU.

ASU has a good and competitive schedule that fits their needs.

UD has a tough schedule that may not be playoff friendly.

Let's assume for the sake of argument UD gets both URI & TU on their schedule and wins those games. Now UD has to find 4 W's (if you don't beat SDSU) from W&M, UR, UNH/UMASS/ME (2 of the 3), JMU & Nova. Good luck with that.

But back to ASU, I like their schedule. The SOCON race should be really interesting in 2010.

SoCon48
January 13th, 2010, 06:32 PM

I'll bet a dollar to a donut that KBS is sold out for all home games.

CrackerRiley
January 13th, 2010, 07:14 PM

I'll take your wager. I don't see it happening. Fingers crossed, though.

fightingphoenix
January 13th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Oct 09 ELON (Homecoming) BOONE, N.C. - I say bring it on!

Skjellyfetti
January 13th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Depends how to define "selling out" KBS. Capacity is a little short of 22k. I think sell out would have to be considered around 28k or so.

appsfan
January 13th, 2010, 09:32 PM

Yes, I am ready for the "whippin". I expect the Mountaineers to whip you guys once again. It is nice to see a cupcake scheduled for Homecoming.xsmiley_wix

SoCon48
January 13th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Yes, I am ready for the "whippin". I expect the Mountaineers to whip you guys once again. It is nice to see a cupcake scheduled for Homecoming.xsmiley_wix

<snicker>

AppMan
January 13th, 2010, 10:53 PM

We'll have a ton of students show up for the first half to boost the numbers, but paying customers...ain't gonna happen in these economic times. This schedule is about nothing else than getting home field advantage for the playoffs. All of our fans who complain about Montana working the system, take a look in the mirror.

appmaj
January 14th, 2010, 06:03 AM
We'll have a ton of students show up for the first half to boost the numbers, but paying customers...ain't gonna happen in these economic times. This schedule is about nothing else than getting home field advantage for the playoffs. All of our fans who complain about Montana working the system, take a look in the mirror.

I disagree. We want to schedule home games. We have a limited number of teams willing to come to Boone. It the same argument that FBS teams use to not schedule us. (JU & NCCU) We are their Florida game.

elon79
January 14th, 2010, 06:48 AM
<snicker>

Cupcake??!! These year the Phoenix will rise!!! ;) I wouldn't mind a little Elon shuffle at ASU's homecoming dance. xnodx xhurrayx

WVAPPmountaineer
January 14th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Oct 09 ELON (Homecoming) BOONE, N.C. - I say bring it on!

Man you guys are like the old Timex watch commercials - with a little tweak ---

You take a beating AND keep on "yapping" ----:D

appmaj
January 14th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Cupcake??!! These year the Phoenix will rise!!! ;) I wouldn't mind a little Elon shuffle at ASU's homecoming dance. xnodx xhurrayx

I thought the Phoenix were rising this past season? xsmiley_wix

GannonFan
January 14th, 2010, 10:41 AM
ASU has an FBS team in UF. Yes, they should defeat Jacksonville & NCC and go 2 - 1 OOC.

UD has D2 WCU, SDSU, and Duquesne all at home. UD should do no worse than 2 - 1, going into CAA play.

ASU will need to find 5 conference wins, where UD would need to find 6, if they cannot sweep their OOC games.

In week #2, UD may be looking at a must win game against SDSU.

ASU has a good and competitive schedule that fits their needs.

UD has a tough schedule that may not be playoff friendly.

Let's assume for the sake of argument UD gets both URI & TU on their schedule and wins those games. Now UD has to find 4 W's (if you don't beat SDSU) from W&M, UR, UNH/UMASS/ME (2 of the 3), JMU & Nova. Good luck with that.

But back to ASU, I like their schedule. The SOCON race should be really interesting in 2010.

All that argument implies, then, is if you think your conference schedule is hard, you shouldn't schedule anything difficult OOC. So by your rationale, Appy St and UD, as well as any CAA or SoCon team, has a really good schedule every year, even before any OOC games are known. I'll agree that the schedules are solid just based on conference games alone, but you're also doing the rest of the subdivision a disservice by saying that OOC games against other FCS schools are not necessary, or, by your logic, even desirable.

jstclmet
January 14th, 2010, 12:30 PM
All that argument implies, then, is if you think your conference schedule is hard, you shouldn't schedule anything difficult OOC. So by your rationale, Appy St and UD, as well as any CAA or SoCon team, has a really good schedule every year, even before any OOC games are known. I'll agree that the schedules are solid just based on conference games alone, but you're also doing the rest of the subdivision a disservice by saying that OOC games against other FCS schools are not necessary, or, by your logic, even desirable.

Depends on where you see your team.

ASU teams of the past could afford to schedule tougher OOC opponents as they knew they could breeze through their conference. Now, their goal is "Just make the Playoffs". Save the tougher OOC games for then. To their credit, they did schedule FBS, UF.

KC has gone on record as saying as he would like to discontinue scheduling FBS opponents every year due to the strength of the CAA. UD like many other schools want cupcake OOC games to give themselves a chance at making the playoffs.

The good thing about UD's position is that they're in a tough conference that will get a minimum of 4 in the playoffs, and now 5 may be the new minimum with the expanded format.

The SOCON could usually lock up 2 spots, and depending on how things shake out, could make a bid for 3.

If you're in one of the "BIG 4" conferences, the only reason to schedule a tough OOC game (FBS game) is for seeding potential should you win, and of course the $$$. Finish in the top 2 in your conference and you can pretty much guarantee yourself a spot in the expanded playoffs.

I'm not saying it's my preference, but you can see that by having the soft ooc games it helps your end goal.

The new playoff format will go a long way towards having these power teams play each other. Last year's playoffs was probaly the most competitive I've seen when you got to the final 8.

Unfortunately it's a one and done deal with only a week to prepare for your opponent.

Now if the NCAA would just seed all 20 teams and allow them to play each other based on seeding, it would be a beautiful thing.

WVAPPmountaineer
January 14th, 2010, 02:15 PM
And again - I repeat - does anyone remember of EVEN CARE who Alabama played OOC??? - They are the BCS National Champions - do you think their fans care who it was - they were both victories ----

By the way - the 2 were Florida International and North Texas - two of the lowest programs in FBS who had a combined record of 5-19 - of course one of those wins is because they played each other - The question for any team at any level is - WHAT IS YOUR ULTIMATE GOAL? ----

elon77
January 14th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I see at least 2 losses on that schedule, Elon and GSU. Who knows, maybe a third one too!xlolx Elon for HC, well crap, that will make tickets that much harder to get.

GannonFan
January 14th, 2010, 03:07 PM

ASU teams of the past could afford to schedule tougher OOC opponents as they knew they could breeze through their conference. Now, their goal is "Just make the Playoffs". Save the tougher OOC games for then. To their credit, they did schedule FBS, UF.

KC has gone on record as saying as he would like to discontinue scheduling FBS opponents every year due to the strength of the CAA. UD like many other schools want cupcake OOC games to give themselves a chance at making the playoffs.

The good thing about UD's position is that they're in a tough conference that will get a minimum of 4 in the playoffs, and now 5 may be the new minimum with the expanded format.

The SOCON could usually lock up 2 spots, and depending on how things shake out, could make a bid for 3.

If you're in one of the "BIG 4" conferences, the only reason to schedule a tough OOC game (FBS game) is for seeding potential should you win, and of course the $$$. Finish in the top 2 in your conference and you can pretty much guarantee yourself a spot in the expanded playoffs.

I'm not saying it's my preference, but you can see that by having the soft ooc games it helps your end goal.

The new playoff format will go a long way towards having these power teams play each other. Last year's playoffs was probaly the most competitive I've seen when you got to the final 8.

Unfortunately it's a one and done deal with only a week to prepare for your opponent.

Now if the NCAA would just seed all 20 teams and allow them to play each other based on seeding, it would be a beautiful thing.

And again - I repeat - does anyone remember of EVEN CARE who Alabama played OOC??? - They are the BCS National Champions - do you think their fans care who it was - they were both victories ----

By the way - the 2 were Florida International and North Texas - two of the lowest programs in FBS who had a combined record of 5-19 - of course one of those wins is because they played each other - The question for any team at any level is - WHAT IS YOUR ULTIMATE GOAL? ----

Hey, being a fan of a team from an already established power conference, I certainly recognize the nice position to be in. A UD can point to the conference schedule, say that it's brutal enough, and then schedule 3 patsies OOC and still get into the playoffs at 7-4 (assuming no DII - UD will correct that in a few years by trading a gimme win over West Chester for a gimme win over DSU). Believe me, as a fan of that team from the established power conference it's great.

As a general football fan, though, it's sad to see that OOC games are the casualty in all of this. You bring up Alabama - heck, it's the norm for the SEC to not play good OOC games. The last time Florida played a good OOC game, on the road, out of the South was back in 1991 when they played at Syracuse. Of course the playoffs and national titles are what matters most, but it would also be nice to see good cross sectional games during the year as well. Doesn't seem likely too often going forward if we are starting to emulate FBS in terms of scheduling.

89Hen
January 14th, 2010, 03:11 PM
As a general football fan, though, it's sad to see that OOC games are the casualty in all of this. You bring up Alabama - heck, it's the norm for the SEC to not play good OOC games. The last time Florida played a good OOC game, on the road, out of the South was back in 1991 when they played at Syracuse. Of course the playoffs and national titles are what matters most, but it would also be nice to see good cross sectional games during the year as well. Doesn't seem likely too often going forward if we are starting to emulate FBS in terms of scheduling.
Yup. It would be nice to have a home and home with a GSU, YSU, AppSt, etc... but I'd just as soon have more games in the Tub with an occassional trip to Navy, Maryland, Penn State, etc... (not sure that will happen either with the new philosophy).

UNH Fanboi
January 14th, 2010, 05:41 PM

Put yourself in the shoes of the coach of a top team in the CAA or SoCon. You would be crazy to schedule tough OOC FCS games because you have very little to gain and a lot to lose. ASU probably would have had a seed this year if they had scheduled a cupcake instead of McNeese. And if they had beaten McNeese, what would they have really gained in comparison to where they would have been with a win over a cupcake? Maybe a bump from a 4 seed to a 3 or 2 seed, but even that is questionable.

The formula for any CAA or SoCon team who wants to maximize their playoff and seed chances is clear:

1. Schedule 1 FBS game, preferably against a lower tier FBS school that is in actuality worse than the top FCS teams. If you win, it's a big boost to your playoff resume, but if you lose it's not really held against you.

2. Schedule 2 cupcake OOC games against crappy NEC, MEAC or Big South teams.

That brings you to 2-1 or possibly 3-0. If you can't beat the 2 cupcakes, then you're not really playoff material anyway.

3. In-conference games:
Go 8-0 and you're guaranteed a seed.
Go 7-1 and you've got a very good chance at a seed depending on how other teams did.
Go 6-2 and you're guaranteed a playoff spot.
Go 5-3 and you've got a very good chance at a playoff spot.
Go 4-4 and you can sneak into the playoffs if you're in the CAA and won your FBS game.

God help the CAA team that doesn't play Towson or URI and has to play a tough OOC game.

CamelCityAppFan
January 15th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I see at least 2 losses on that schedule, Elon and GSU. Who knows, maybe a third one too!xlolx Elon for HC, well crap, that will make tickets that much harder to get.

That's what I like about you, you're an eternal optomist! xlolx

I suppose there is a first time for everything...

phillyAPP
January 15th, 2010, 08:02 AM
That's what I like about you, you're an eternal optomist! xlolx

I suppose there is a first time for everything...

lol, yeah your right. There is a Elon Optomist's Club !!

All in fun and football. Good luck to Elon. i hope we are both undefeated when we play next year.

Skjellyfetti
January 15th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I see at least 2 losses on that schedule, Elon and GSU.

Great. Elon fans didn't learn a damn thing from last year. Already starting the "This is the year we finally beat App" talk. xrolleyesxxsmhx

appmaj
January 15th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Great. Elon fans didn't learn a damn thing from last year. Already starting the "This is the year we finally beat App" talk. xrolleyesxxsmhx

I guess they are giving us the Florida win as well

DetroitFlyer
January 15th, 2010, 09:53 AM

You know, I'm thinking that JU will play better this time in Boone.

WVAPPmountaineer
January 15th, 2010, 10:30 AM
You know, I'm thinking that JU will play better this time in Boone.

I have to say that I was impressed with several of JU players 2 years ago - they have a really good QB and a really good RB - I'm sure they have added talent being there in the football JAX area ----

AppIAA
January 15th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I thought the Phoenix were rising this past season? xsmiley_wix

And the season before, and the season before, and the season before...

They've been rising for quite a while and still can't beat App.. guess we're just rising that much faster

BDKJMU
January 15th, 2010, 12:44 PM

Wrong. 3 might be the minimum (remember 05' had only 2 and 06' had only 3). 5 will be the maximum, and I doubt it will be that. That would be half the conference, same as 6 of 12.

WestCoastAggie
January 15th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Elon for Homecoming??? That will be a helluva game.

Saint3333
January 17th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Elon for Homecoming??? That will be a helluva game.

People may want to look at what Elon is losing - 4 OL (3 starters) and Hudgins will hurt their offense. Riddle will be on his back a lot next year.