PDA

View Full Version : The Big 4 Conference Champs

HenZoneNation
January 12th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Since 1990 there have been 4 conferences that have fought for supremecy in the FCS ranks: MVC, BSC, CAA, SoCon. If there are other conferences that people would like to place in great.

Of the Conference Champs from the Big 4, who do you think is the least likely to repeat? Who do you think has the best chance to repeat as conference champs?

MVC: SIU
BSC: Montana
CAA: Villanova
SoCon: Appy St.

My picks:
Montana wins the BSC
UNI retakes the MVC from SIU.

uofmman1122
January 12th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Montana's lost one conference game since 2006. Plus, according to everyone else, we're pretty much handed the conference title at the start of the season. xrolleyesx

I think we're the best chance to repeat.

As far as who's least likely, I'd go with Nova, simply because you don't win the CAA two years in a row very often.

Maybe App State, though. As much as some people don't want to admit it, losing Armanti is going to be tough.

appmaj
January 12th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Maybe App State, though. As much as some people don't want to admit it, losing Armanti is going to be tough.

Who isn't admitting that???xeekx

biggie
January 12th, 2010, 09:29 AM
App to me is in the middle, not an easy win, but not out of it. Unknown at QB, but some promising talent. Plenty of other talent returning with very few holes. Don't see anyone in SoCon that will dominate, so therefore it is open for App to repeat.

Lock to repeat, Montana, is there any competition there?

I too believe SIU won't repeat.

jlcharles
January 12th, 2010, 09:40 AM
We won't be a lock, but if Szczur miraculously comes back next year, we should be the favorite to win the CAA. But uofmman1122 is right, you don't repeat in the CAA often. In order of most likely to least likely, I'd put:
BSC: Montana
SoCon: Appy St.
CAA: Villanova
MVC: SIU

EKU05
January 12th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Montana's lost one conference game since 2006. Plus, according to everyone else, we're pretty much handed the conference title at the start of the season. xrolleyesx

As far as who's least likely, I'd go with Nova, simply because you don't win the CAA two years in a row very often.

To second this point...

If you take away Montana, you'd have to make this list the "Big 3" instead because the Big Sky sans the griz is not a particularly strong conference relative to the other three. I think they're probably on the fringe with Montana.

Silenoz
January 12th, 2010, 10:31 AM

What he said

Montana State will be strong this year, NAU might be able to put a season together. But I'd bet money on us.

89Hen
January 12th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Until Montana doesn't actually win at least a share of the title, they will be the favorite any and every year. They are the ultimate chalk. xpeacex

HenZoneNation
January 12th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I'd be careful boys...you start commenting on Montana's control of the BSC and there will Weber, and surprisingly some Montnana fans who will go nuts about the lack of respect the BSC gets. Regardless of how lopsided it had been, there was a time where other schools won the conference. I don't see it this year with Montana always have big hogs on the Oline to replace the big hogs who left the year before. You take that, throw in Chase and their QB both returning and I see another conference title.

achrist70
January 12th, 2010, 02:20 PM
For the MVC it is kind of a toss up, the top 3 teams all lost key members of their team. It will be interesting to see if SIU, SDSU, or UNI will be able to rebound well or if a newcomer is able to make some noise.

GannonFan
January 12th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Obviously Montana is almost a lock to win the Big Sky - no real surprise there.

Hard to say about the other ones - Appy's got no AE, nova has a deep CAA to contend with, and the MVFC's got 3-4 teams that any one could win. I'll say Appy St is the least likely to repeat right now - replacing AE has to be impossible and the SoCon, while not as deep as it once was, should be able to find at least one team to make a run at them.

jonmac
January 12th, 2010, 05:13 PM
How bad does losing Hauck hurt Montana? Did the new coach bring in a whole new staff? I know Montana has a lot coming back but it's a pretty big deal to lose a head coach.

uofmman1122
January 12th, 2010, 10:47 PM
How bad does losing Hauck hurt Montana? Did the new coach bring in a whole new staff? I know Montana has a lot coming back but it's a pretty big deal to lose a head coach.The only problem will be adjusting to the new schemes, which I don't think Pflu will change that much right away.

paward
January 13th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I thought CAA had Co-Champs:

Villanova & Richmond