PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Bowl: SWAC Champ vs MEAC No. 2 or No. 3

TexasTerror
January 10th, 2010, 05:43 PM
For those in the SWAC, MEAC and all around the FCS landscape...

If the Heritage Bowl is restored for this next year, as has been rumored, what value - outside of financial - does pitting the No. 2 or No. 3 team in the MEAC against the SWAC champion hold from a football standpoint?

Does the SWAC champion really gain anything by beating the No. 2 or No. 3? Does the SWAC gain further credibility as a league? What if the reverse happens? What if the MEAC's No. 2 or No. 3 beats the SWAC champion? How much does that hurt the SWAC's credibility?

Tim James
January 11th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I didnt think there was a high demand to bring back the Heritage Bowl.

kdinva
January 11th, 2010, 05:52 AM
A true Heritage Bowl would pit MEAC #1 vs. SWAC #1. I don't think the MEAC is ready to forfeit their slot(s) in the 1-AA playoffsxsmhx.

TexasTerror
January 11th, 2010, 07:32 AM
A true Heritage Bowl would pit MEAC #1 vs. SWAC #1. I don't think the MEAC is ready to forfeit their slot(s) in the 1-AA playoffsxsmhx.

The Heritage Bowl never featured MEAC #1 vs SWAC #1, correct? The MEAC's top squad had always gone to the playoffs, right?

I didnt think there was a high demand to bring back the Heritage Bowl.

I keep seeing the talk about it on TSPN. Several well-placed SWAC fans believe the Heritage Bowl is in the cards yet again and it could be happening soon. Until anything official comes out, hard to believe it to be true...

813Jag
January 11th, 2010, 08:45 AM
The Heritage Bowl never featured MEAC #1 vs SWAC #1, correct? The MEAC's top squad had always gone to the playoffs, right?

I keep seeing the talk about it on TSPN. Several well-placed SWAC fans believe the Heritage Bowl is in the cards yet again and it could be happening soon. Until anything official comes out, hard to believe it to be true...
It's only happened twice. in 1991 and 1994.

TexasTerror
January 11th, 2010, 11:37 AM
It's only happened twice. in 1991 and 1994.

Did the MEAC champ go there instead of the playoffs? Go to both? Or was there a co-champion?

WestCoastAggie
January 11th, 2010, 02:37 PM
We are in the same spot that we were in when that Potted plant started this chaos back in Nov on the SCSU radio station. No announcements have been made and we are all in the dark about it.

iceman4221
January 11th, 2010, 02:43 PM
In 1994 the Willie Jeffries lead SCSU Bulldogs decided to forego the I-AA playoffs and instead went to the Heritage Bowl and beat the Eddie Robinson lead Grambling Tigers (Eddie's last winning team by the way) 31-27 in a thriller...

The reason given for forgoing the I-AA Playoffs in '94 was $$$...

DSUrocks07
January 11th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Financial IS the only reason. xnonono2x

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/7726/makeitrainut9.gif

813Jag
January 11th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Did the MEAC champ go there instead of the playoffs? Go to both? Or was there a co-champion?
both years were HB only.

813Jag
January 11th, 2010, 03:20 PM
In 1994 the Willie Jeffries lead SCSU Bulldogs decided to forego the I-AA playoffs and instead went to the Heritage Bowl and beat the Eddie Robinson lead Grambling Tigers (Eddie's last winning team by the way) 31-27 in a thriller...

The reason given for forgoing the I-AA Playoffs in '94 was $$$...
that was a horrible end of the season for Grambling. started 9-0 ended 9-3. Lost to FAMU, Southern and SC State all in a row.

MsippiRattler
January 11th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Why is this long-dead horse keep trying to get resurrected? The original HB died due to lack-of-interest. A new incarnation will suffer the same fate, in spite of what the conferences' commissioners think. The last HB was played in 1999 between the SWAC's #1 Southern and the MEAC's #3 Hampton (who won). Right afterwards, Coca-Cola and MacDonald's pulled their sponsorship.

Jaguar79
January 11th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Why is this long-dead horse keep trying to get resurrected? The original HB died due to lack-of-interest. A new incarnation will suffer the same fate, in spite of what the conferences' commissioners think. The last HB was played in 1999 between the SWAC's #1 Southern and the MEAC's #3 Hampton (who won). Right afterwards, Coca-Cola and MacDonald's pulled their sponsorship.

Lack of interest from who? The game drew close to 30,000 near it's end. What other NON-classic FCS game was doing that? And if ESPN' who both of those conferences has stepped in, your sponsorship point is also mute.

If you just said you had OTHER reasons for not wanting the game to come back, fine. But to site those two seems a little weird.

813Jag
January 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Hampton finished third that year but they weren't horrible, Southern beat them in the Circle City Classic and they were highly ranked. Doesn't change the fact that they were third place. But people say that like a back handed comment.

MsippiRattler
January 11th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Lack of interest from who? The game drew close to 30,000 near it's end. What other NON-classic FCS game was doing that? And if ESPN' who both of those conferences has stepped in, your sponsorship point is also mute.

If you just said you had OTHER reasons for not wanting the game to come back, fine. But to site those two seems a little weird.

Heritage Bowl suspends 2000 game
Associated Press
Friday, February 11, 2000COMMENTPRINTShareEmail

ATLANTA -- The Heritage Bowl, played between two of the predominantly black Division 1-AA football conferences, announced Thursday that it was discontinuing the annual game which had been played in Atlanta the last seven years.

Major reasons were a lack of fan support and the end of a two-year television agreement (1998-1999) between NBC and the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference and Southwestern Athletic Conference.

Last year's game in which Hampton (MEAC) beat Southern University (SWAC) 24-3, drew only 29,000 to the 74,000-seat Georgia Dome. The previous year the contest drew 33,000.

The post-season event began in 1991 and was played in Miami. It shifted to Tallahassee the following season and then was moved to Atlanta.

"When the concept of the Heritage Bowl was conceived nine years ago, it was an innovative idea on the Division I-AA level and its founding fathers are to be commended," said SWAC commissioner Rudy Washington.

"Unfortunately, local support for the game in the cities that hosted it wasn't substantial enough to merit continuation of the event. Accordingly, we felt that it was in our best interest to discontinue the game at this time," he said.

"Although we are disappointed with the postponement of the 2000 game, we are optimistic about the potential growth of this post-season event," said MEAC commissioner Charles Harris.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2000/02/11/oth_282384.shtml

blackcaesar3k5
January 11th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Let's not forget about 1995 MEAC Champions FAMU vs SWAC Champs Southern in Heritage Bowl V...

813Jag
January 11th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Let's not forget about 1995 MEAC Champions FAMU vs SWAC Champs Southern in Heritage Bowl V...
Southern didn't win swac that year, they lost to jackson st on a late fumble.

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 11th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Southern didn't win swac that year, they lost to jackson st on a late fumble.

I think SU and JSU were tied for first place.

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 11th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Heritage Bowl suspends 2000 game
Associated Press
Friday, February 11, 2000COMMENTPRINTShareEmail

ATLANTA -- The Heritage Bowl, played between two of the predominantly black Division 1-AA football conferences, announced Thursday that it was discontinuing the annual game which had been played in Atlanta the last seven years.

Major reasons were a lack of fan support and the end of a two-year television agreement (1998-1999) between NBC and the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference and Southwestern Athletic Conference.

Last year's game in which Hampton (MEAC) beat Southern University (SWAC) 24-3, drew only 29,000 to the 74,000-seat Georgia Dome. The previous year the contest drew 33,000.

The post-season event began in 1991 and was played in Miami. It shifted to Tallahassee the following season and then was moved to Atlanta.

"When the concept of the Heritage Bowl was conceived nine years ago, it was an innovative idea on the Division I-AA level and its founding fathers are to be commended," said SWAC commissioner Rudy Washington.

"Unfortunately, local support for the game in the cities that hosted it wasn't substantial enough to merit continuation of the event. Accordingly, we felt that it was in our best interest to discontinue the game at this time," he said.

"Although we are disappointed with the postponement of the 2000 game, we are optimistic about the potential growth of this post-season event," said MEAC commissioner Charles Harris.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2000/02/11/oth_282384.shtml
thats bs. It stopped because the SWAC couldnt participate in 2 post season games.

bluedog
January 12th, 2010, 02:40 AM
97% of you are posting false information. Why do you all continue to try and validate something for someone who ha no interest in the facts but only to stir up more bs?

MsippiRattler
January 12th, 2010, 05:14 PM
thats bs. It stopped because the SWAC couldnt participate in 2 post season games.

Why is it bs? The AP article quotes both conference commissioners as to the reason for the demise of the HB:

....."When the concept of the Heritage Bowl was conceived nine years ago, it was an innovative idea on the Division I-AA level and its founding fathers are to be commended," said SWAC commissioner Rudy Washington.

Crusader2010
January 12th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Didn't the SWAC champ go into the FCS playoffs at one point? I recall Jackson St playing at William & Mary in the round of 16 in 1996.

Big Dawg
January 13th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Didn't the SWAC champ go into the FCS playoffs at one point? I recall Jackson St playing at William & Mary in the round of 16 in 1996.

The SWAC participated in the playoffs until 1999.

JROCK
January 13th, 2010, 06:44 PM
The SWAC participated in the playoffs until 1999.

Not in 1999.......Southern U won the conference championship game (SCG I) and had to go to Atlanta the very next week to play in the Heritage Bowl (anti-climatic).........The Jaguar Nation was not happy about that particular trip..... ( a bowl game should be fun and not played 1 week after a conference title game..)