PDA

View Full Version : FCS Blog?

Gringer1
January 6th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I came across a small time blog (no followers and few articles) but it has an interesting piece about the FCS and the misunderstandings many 1-A fans have about us. Just thought I would toss this out here since all the national attention is on the BCS Championship right now.

http://collegecognition.blogspot.com/

TexasTerror
January 6th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Does not really seem like an active blog, but the point brought up is valid. I wish more of the writers around the country - particularly the national writers who call us Division II - would be more aware of the subdivision.

kdinva
January 6th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Does not really seem like an active blog, but the point brought up is valid. I wish more of the writers around the country - particularly the national writers who call us Division II - would be more aware of the subdivision.
Does Lloyd Carr think Appy. St. is Div-2?xlolx.........Does Al Groh think W&M is Div.-2?xhurrayx........does Cutcliffe think UR is Div.-2?xhypedx

SOCAL
January 6th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Does Lloyd Carr think Appy. St. is Div-2?xlolx.........Does Al Groh think W&M is Div.-2?xhurrayx........does Cutcliffe think UR is Div.-2?xhypedx

Does Rutgers, Northwestern, Marshall, Army and Ball State think New Hampshire is Div 2 ?

Bogus Megapardus
January 6th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Much of this can be attributed to willful mis-communication by television announcers. ESPN and others have bought into the "Non-BCS" mindset. Non-BCS institutions in the FBS are the new "lesser" Division-1 teams. The FCS might as well not exist. I am convinced beyond doubt the this message is conveyed deliberately and with active encouragement by the FBS marketing people.

What if one were to ask Eric Collins and Brock Huard (who called the game for ESPN) whether Villanova and Montana are "Division 1 colleges?" A long, obtuse explanation and disclaimer would follow, where a simple "yes, of course" would do.

Ask Collins and Huard what is America's best known sports conference - the group of schools that first comes to mind by name to the general public. They'd say, "The SEC" or "The Big 10" or "The Big East." All wrong. The answers is, "The Ivy League." Most Americans can rattle off the entire membership without thinking. Try the with The Big 12 - I dare you. Do Collins and Huard care? Of course not. They're "not even Division 1," are they? These guys think what they're paid to think.

Big Al
January 6th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I doubt many people know who is in the Ivy League beyond Harvard, Yale & Princeton. A few might add Penn or Columbia but Brown, Cornell & Dartmouth are the bastard step-children in the public's perception.

Bogus Megapardus
January 6th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I doubt many people know who is in the Ivy League beyond Harvard, Yale & Princeton. A few might add Penn or Columbia but Brown, Cornell & Dartmouth are the bastard step-children in the public's perception.

I disagree, but let's say you're correct. Harvard Yale and Princeton certainly are well-known and are associated with the Ivy League. If you ask Collins or Huard if these three are "Division 1 Universities," do you get, "yes" or do you get, "well . . . . "

BarefootApp
January 6th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I guess a year from tonight will be our National Championship game. Not sure how I feel about this, but I am afraid it will be a 3 hour advertisement for the "real" championship the next night. ugh.

Gringer1
January 6th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I guess a year from tonight will be our National Championship game. Not sure how I feel about this, but I am afraid it will be a 3 hour advertisement for the "real" championship the next night. ugh.

Wow, I didn't think of that. The commentators and video people will certainly litter the FCS game coverage with discussion about the BCS game. Sad really.

Big Al
January 7th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I disagree, but let's say you're correct. Harvard Yale and Princeton certainly are well-known and are associated with the Ivy League. If you ask Collins or Huard if these three are "Division 1 Universities," do you get, "yes" or do you get, "well . . . . "

I guess I should clarify -- I was with your initial post 100% until you said the Ivy League is the best known sports conference in the nation. It is may be a sports conference but it isn't known for it's sports. Also, the average person can name more SEC/Big Ten/Big XII members than they could Ivy League.

Honestly, I think the Ivy League likes it that way, too.

appmaj
January 7th, 2010, 10:16 AM
This this off topic a little but also in the blog in the Weirdest College Mascots Section

8. Elon- Phoenix. Mascots should be real things, not a mythical flaming bird plucked out of Harry Potter.

????

Bogus Megapardus
January 7th, 2010, 10:20 AM
This this off topic a little but also in the blog in the Weirdest College Mascots Section

8. Elon- Phoenix. Mascots should be real things, not a mythical flaming bird plucked out of Harry Potter.

????

That's why "Fighting Christians" was better.

appmaj
January 7th, 2010, 10:48 AM
That's why "Fighting Christians" was better.

Agreed

UAalum72
January 7th, 2010, 12:25 PM
That whole list shows the guy to be a bozo. Hawai'i was famous for its frequent and brilliant rainbows before Jesse Jackson's Rainbow Coalition or the gay movement, the phoenix was legendary for hundreds of years before Harry Potter, he doesn't realize the Presby Blue Hose refers to their stockings, not a water delivery system, and if he doesn't like puns he should leave the Pace Setters alone and go after the Yukon,er UConn Huskies.

DetroitFlyer
January 7th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I guess I should clarify -- I was with your initial post 100% until you said the Ivy League is the best known sports conference in the nation. It is may be a sports conference but it isn't known for it's sports. Also, the average person can name more SEC/Big Ten/Big XII members than they could Ivy League.

Honestly, I think the Ivy League likes it that way, too.

Come on now, EVERYBODY knows that the most well known conference in the land is the Pioneer Football League, (PFL for short)!!

ThompsonThe
January 8th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I bet there are people, not in the NE, that do not even know that they Ivy League plays sports, not just football.
Pretty sad considering how prominent Yale, Harvard, Princeton, and some of the others were so well known in football many years ago.

Bogus Megapardus
January 8th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I bet there are people, not in the NE, that do not even know that they Ivy League plays sports, not just football.
Pretty sad considering how prominent Yale, Harvard, Princeton, and some of the others were so well known in football many years ago.

The Ivy League is a sports conference, nothing else. Athletic competition is the reason those eight colleges affiliated themselves (actually it started with track and field).

I guess, by the same token, most people don't know that Army and Navy are members of the Patriot League for everything except football. Then again, most people have no idea what the "Patriot League" is anyhow.

Head Cat
January 8th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Much of this can be attributed to willful mis-communication by television announcers. ESPN and others have bought into the "Non-BCS" mindset. Non-BCS institutions in the FBS are the new "lesser" Division-1 teams. The FCS might as well not exist. I am convinced beyond doubt the this message is conveyed deliberately and with active encouragement by the FBS marketing people.

What if one were to ask Eric Collins and Brock Huard (who called the game for ESPN) whether Villanova and Montana are "Division 1 colleges?" A long, obtuse explanation and disclaimer would follow, where a simple "yes, of course" would do.

Ask Collins and Huard what is America's best known sports conference - the group of schools that first comes to mind by name to the general public. They'd say, "The SEC" or "The Big 10" or "The Big East." All wrong. The answers is, "The Ivy League." Most Americans can rattle off the entire membership without thinking. Try the with The Big 12 - I dare you. Do Collins and Huard care? Of course not. They're "not even Division 1," are they? These guys think what they're paid to think.

I would cut Brock Huard some slack. He actually was the MC for the Sports Network FCS Awards Banquet this year and did a great job. He is one announcer in our corner.

Big Al
January 8th, 2010, 01:42 PM
The Ivy League is a sports conference, nothing else. Athletic competition is the reason those eight colleges affiliated themselves (actually it started with track and field).

Which is ironic, because I grew up associating the phrase "Ivy League" with academics, not sports.

In some respects, I admire their belief that academics should be paramount. I certainly believe most schools don't put enough emphasis on student in student athlete. I remember watching the Sugar Bowl and the announcers stated that Cincinnati was the only school in the top 10 of the BCS rankings to have a graduation rate greater than 75%. All of the others were in the low 60s, and nobody was within 10% of the Bearcats. That's impressive.

Bogus Megapardus
January 8th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Which is ironic, because I grew up associating the phrase "Ivy League" with academics, not sports.

Which demonstrates that athletics and academic are not irreconcilable by any means.

Big Al
January 8th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Which demonstrates that athletics and academic are not irreconcilable by any means.

Indeed. Someone needs to tell that to the folks in the Ivy League, though.