PDA

View Full Version : USC QB Transfer to UR?

ElonPride
January 6th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Not sure if this has been posted here or not, but apparently Aaron Corp (USC QB) is tranferring to Richmond........

89Hen
January 6th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Which USC?

nwFL Griz
January 6th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Which USC?

That would be the California version.

JMU2004
January 6th, 2010, 01:23 PM
that would be news to UR fans as they don't seem aware....

ur2k
January 6th, 2010, 01:24 PM
News to me. Do you have a link to the source?

Initially sounds about as likely as Gardner-Webb heading to the CAA. xnodx

ElonPride
January 6th, 2010, 01:28 PM
News to me. Do you have a link to the source?

Initially sounds about as likely as Gardner-Webb heading to the CAA. xnodx

Can't site my source just yet, but hearing he could be in class as early as Monday. Found this on the net:

Via SBN's Conquest Chronicles, it's been an evening of conflicting reports at the Orange County Register concerning the future of is-he-or-isn't-he backup USC quarterback Aaron Corp, who has either already been granted his release from the Trojans or hasn't even made up his mind to leave yet, depending on who's doing the talking. Possible destination schools mentioned: Kansas, Virginia, Minnesota and Richmond.

Silenoz
January 6th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Seems like an odd four choices since he's from CA

Big Al
January 6th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Indeed. It might be dictated by Carroll, though. "I'll release you from your scholarship if you go to these schools but if you want to go to these other schools, I'll make you sit for a year."

Hoyadestroya85
January 6th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Which USC?

I honestly don't know why there's a distinction.. nobody outside of the Carolinas calls South Carolina "USC" when I saw that app state's o-line coach was going to "USC" i Immediately thought of Southern Cal

jcmanson
January 6th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Indeed. It might be dictated by Carroll, though. "I'll release you from your scholarship if you go to these schools but if you want to go to these other schools, I'll make you sit for a year."

USC and Virginia play next year so I doubt that's the case.

kdinva
January 6th, 2010, 03:02 PM
If he goes from 1-A to 1-AA, what can Coach Carroll do to stop him from playing in 2010?xscanx

ElonPride
January 6th, 2010, 03:16 PM
If he goes from 1-A to 1-AA, what can Coach Carroll do to stop him from playing in 2010?xscanx

I think the other schools mentioned may be the smokescreen. If he transfers laterally, he sits a year (possibly two depending on the conference). If he transfers down, he can play immediately. This reminds me a lot of Ingle Martin Florida/Furman story a few years ago. He gets injured, another player steps in to start, he realizes he wouldn't get playing time, and transfers where he know he will fit into a good system.

3PeatNation
January 6th, 2010, 04:55 PM
i think its a good decision for corp because pretty boy matt barkley will be a 4 year starter so he can make USC a unranked team for these next 3 years to come

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 6th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I'm typically not a big fan of transfers ... but let's get inCORPorated! Bring him on!

SpidersSportsEditor
January 6th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Well, after AGS being down for a few days this is an exciting top post to come back to. If anyone can actually find a source for this please post it. Could be the year of transfer QBs in the CAA with Paulus, Devlin and now maybe this kid.

pitpen
January 6th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I honestly don't know why there's a distinction.. nobody outside of the Carolinas calls South Carolina "USC" when I saw that app state's o-line coach was going to "USC" i Immediately thought of Southern Cal

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&source=hp&q=elon%20university&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

sikolec
January 7th, 2010, 12:48 AM
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_14131419

Link to his father saying there has been no decision as to whether or not Aaron Corp will transfer from USC...

lionsrking2
January 7th, 2010, 01:43 AM

He cannot give him a release...if he doesn't release him, he has to sit, regardless of whether he transfers down, unless it's to D-II or D-III.

UD77
January 7th, 2010, 06:11 AM
He cannot give him a release...if he doesn't release him, he has to sit, regardless of whether he transfers down, unless it's to D-II or D-III.

This is correct. That is what happened to Joe Facco when he transferred to University of Delaware. Joe ended up loosing a year.

89Hen
January 7th, 2010, 07:23 AM
FWIW, my brother-in-law went to SC and my neice is there now, so when somebody says USC I do think of both. Not to mention that South Carolina is a lot close to Richmond and that I only recall one other SoCal player ever transferring to an eastern I-AA (David Boler - UD), I had to ask. Also, after seeing Spurrier stick with Garcia (So.) at QB even though he completely sucks makes me think there may be some young kids behind him that want out. xpeacex

BTW, South Carolina also calls themselves "Carolina" even though everyone outside of SC knows that's UNC.

ElonPride
January 7th, 2010, 08:23 AM
According to CBS 6 in Richmond, he HAS been granted a release:

http://www.wtvr.com/sports/local/corp-heading-to-richmond,0,577511.story

RICHMOND, VA - Spiders backup quarterback John Laub could have some serious competition for the starting quarterback job this spring.

CBS-6 Sports has learned that USC backup quarterback Aaron Corp has been granted his release with the Trojans and was seen touring the UR campus last weekend.

He is finalizing his application process and barring any unforseen circumstance, Corp will return to campus this weekend and start the Spring Semester on Monday.

Corp came into the season as the Trojans' starting quarterback before injuring his knee on the third day of camp. That allowed true freshman Matt Barkley to become the starter.

Corp appeared in just three games last season while backing up Barkley. His first and only start came at Washington where he replaced an injured Barkley and went 13 of 22 for 110 yards with an interception in a 16-13 USC loss. He did not appear in USC's final nine games.

In his three-year career at Orange Lutheran H.S., he accounted for over 8,600 yards of total offense and 76 TD's. He would be the most decorated High-School player to come to Richmond

ur2k
January 7th, 2010, 08:39 AM
ElonPride - do you mind if I come to you for all the Spider inside info?xsmileyclapx

Looks like you nailed this one and by everything I've seen, was the first to report it. Good job.

Eight Legger
January 7th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Kudos Elon....we didn't see this one coming. I think we just served notice to the rest of FCS that we aren't going anywhere.

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 7th, 2010, 09:24 AM
ElonPride - do you mind if I come to you for all the Spider inside info?xsmileyclapx

Looks like you nailed this one and by everything I've seen, was the first to report it. Good job.

+1 xbowx

Bam
January 7th, 2010, 09:33 AM
What a catch.

JMUNJ08
January 7th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Wow, so throw UR back in the mix for the top half of the conference. Not saying they weren't good already but they looked like a step down from what the rest were returning. This will be big for the O to have a high profile QB come in and take over after Ward's graduation. If the defense can keep it up, I'm worried about our trip to UR this year...

If Syzcur (however you spell it) leaves Nova, we may have like a 6 way tie at the top of the CAA????

Eight Legger
January 7th, 2010, 09:49 AM
The best thing about this for us is that our WR corps already was going to be a big strength this season, so this kid should be able to really take advantage of that. Couple that with the fact we brought back Wayne Lineburg to be our OC again, who was OC under Clawson and likes to run a wide-open offense...there should be a lot of points on the board at Robins Stadium!

89Hen
January 7th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Wow, so throw UR back in the mix for the top half of the conference. Not saying they weren't good already but they looked like a step down from what the rest were returning. This will be big for the O to have a high profile QB come in and take over after Ward's graduation. If the defense can keep it up, I'm worried about our trip to UR this year...
I'll wait to be worried. After seeing highly touted Rob Schoenhoft struggle at UD with a patchwork OL in front of him...

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 7th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I'll wait to be worried. After seeing highly touted Rob Schoenhoft struggle at UD with a patchwork OL in front of him...

Be careful. The 'Worry Train' leaves the station shortly. You don't want to be stuck in the station after that train has left.

You may be subject to CORPoral punishment! xlolx

ElonPride
January 7th, 2010, 10:36 AM

No prob!

89Hen
January 7th, 2010, 10:39 AM
You may be subject to CORPoral punishment! xlolx
Could be, but new HC, new OC/QB coach, new WR coach, new OL, new QB... I'll wait to buy my ticket. That said, I WILL be buying a ticket to the game. Looking forward to your new stadium. xthumbsupx

spdram
January 7th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Could be, but new HC, new OC/QB coach, new WR coach, new OL, new QB... I'll wait to buy my ticket. That said, I WILL be buying a ticket to the game. Looking forward to your new stadium. xthumbsupx

Let's see the OC was our OC 2 years ago (liked our O a lot more then), helped recruit many of our current kids, the OL coach is the same as last year, the WR coach has been spending a lot of time at UR over the last two years, so I don't think it will be much of a problem with these guys. All in all I'm please the way the new staff is shaping up, of course only time will tell -- but I'm excited about the prospects.

I had been hearing all week that we were looking at a transfer, but was lead to belive it was a kicker (are there two?). I also believe Corp is before admissions now. From what I understand it is almost a done deal.

seattlespider
January 7th, 2010, 11:50 AM
According to CBS 6 in Richmond, he HAS been granted a release:

RICHMOND, VA - Spiders backup quarterback John Laub could have some serious competition for the starting quarterback job this spring.

CBS-6 Sports has learned that USC backup quarterback Aaron Corp has been granted his release with the Trojans and was seen touring the UR campus last weekend.

He is finalizing his application process and barring any unforseen circumstance, Corp will return to campus this weekend and start the Spring Semester on Monday.

Corp came into the season as the Trojans' starting quarterback before injuring his knee on the third day of camp. That allowed true freshman Matt Barkley to become the starter.

Corp appeared in just three games last season while backing up Barkley. His first and only start came at Washington where he replaced an injured Barkley and went 13 of 22 for 110 yards with an interception in a 16-13 USC loss. He did not appear in USC's final nine games.

In his three-year career at Orange Lutheran H.S., he accounted for over 8,600 yards of total offense and 76 TD's. He would be the most decorated High-School player to come to Richmond

I'll add my kudos to ElonPride. Well done! xthumbsupx

SpidersSportsEditor
January 7th, 2010, 01:09 PM
This is exciting, but I still see nothing concrete that confirms this has actually happened. ElonPride or others, is there some mystery sources that has confirmed this for you guys? The CBS-6 story just says he toured campus and it appears that he will come here, so I'm still a little skeptical.

State Line Liquors
January 7th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Glad to hear that Richmond can no longer look down their noses with the lame transfer conversation. And don't deny that you haven't. xnodx Welcome to our FBS dumpster, care for a dive? xlolx

ur2k
January 7th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Does this work editor? :D

This was also posted from UR's page on Facebook. So I take that as official.

RICHMOND, VA - CBS-6 Sports has learned that USC backup quarterback Aaron Corp's transcript has been accepted by the University of Richmond, and he should be enrolled in classes on Monday.

Corp was granted his release from the Trojans earlier this week and was seen touring the UR campus last weekend.

.Corp came into the season as the Trojans' starting quarterback before injuring his knee on the third day of camp. That allowed true freshman Matt Barkley to become the starter.

seattlespider
January 7th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Thought it was funny that UR facebook confirms, citing the CBS story. Wave of the future. Welcome to UR, Mr. Corp!

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 7th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Glad to hear that Richmond can no longer look down their noses with the lame transfer conversation. And don't deny that you haven't. xnodx Welcome to our FBS dumpster, care for a dive? xlolx

Speaking of dumpster diving, didn't one of yours literally go for a 'dumpster dive', by stealing food?

89Hen
January 7th, 2010, 02:26 PM
xlolx xbowx

UD77
January 7th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Transfer U (R)

seattlespider
January 7th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Story has broken national.

ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=4805378
UR paper: http://www.thecollegianur.com/2010/01/07/usc-qb-to-transfer-to-richmond/

State Line Liquors
January 7th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Speaking of dumpster diving, didn't one of yours literally go for a 'dumpster dive', by stealing food?

It was someone else's freezer, and my understanding is that the weed smoked beforehand was 'just that good'.

JMUNJ08
January 7th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I see he had no snaps in 07 and only played in 08 & 09. Was he red-shirted for a year and still has 2 years left? Or is this a one and done?

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 7th, 2010, 03:33 PM
It was someone else's freezer, and my understanding is that the weed smoked beforehand was 'just that good'.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 7th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I see he had no snaps in 07 and only played in 08 & 09. Was he red-shirted for a year and still has 2 years left? Or is this a one and done?

He has 2 years to play.

Dukie95
January 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM

ESPN calls him a Jr. Is he a rising Jr. or currently a Jr?

Edit, OK thanks BHCE

Skjellyfetti
January 7th, 2010, 03:48 PM
What does Richmond's defense look like for next year? Seems their offense could be pretty good with this guy at QB and a lot of quality receivers back.

SpidersSportsEditor
January 7th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Offensive line is really the only big question now. Defense should be solid. Not as good as last year but it returns its three best players in Martin Parker, Eric McBride and Justin Rogers. Big losses are on the D-line, which lost 3 seniors and the two safetys, but the backups at those positions should be solid.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 7th, 2010, 04:04 PM
http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2009/12/last-day-of-hofstra-football.html

Rabinowitz says playing at Division I-AA—where media attention is minimal and the ability to turn a profit almost non-existent—cannot yield Hofstra the benefits it expects from its athletic programs.

“Three of the last four years, Appalachian State was the champion,” Rabinowitz says. “Last year, Richmond was the champion, I don’t know if too many people will remember that because of the lack of national coverage. In a sense, this subdivision of football is like football purgatory. It’s like you need to spend a lot of money to be competitive, but there are none of the benefits that a robust athletic program produces.”

I could be wrong here, but I'm thinking a guy from USC transferring to UR provides benefits to the college, correct? Publicity, positive press, mentions on ESPN?

Conversely, when searching on "Hofstra" on ESPN's website, you see exactly how badly they've been sucking against the rest of Division I in basketball.

Congrats to UR. Maybe winning the national championship has "benefits." xthumbsupx

flucospider
January 7th, 2010, 04:39 PM
exactly Lehigh, can't see the downside of this.

Eight Legger
January 7th, 2010, 05:08 PM
You know, it really sucks that we are moving into such a tiny stadium. We won't ever be able to attract any good recruits now...

OR MAYBE WE'LL IMMEDIATELY LAND THE BIGGEST NAME TRANSFER IN FCS HISTORY!

seattlespider
January 7th, 2010, 05:16 PM
You know, it really sucks that we are moving into such a tiny stadium. We won't ever be able to attract any good recruits now...

xlolx

Eight Legger
January 7th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Official announcement from UR:

http://www.richmondspiders.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010710aac.html

SpidersSportsEditor
January 7th, 2010, 05:42 PM

Unbelievable. The things going on with this program over the past 3 years have been literally baffling. This will be the hottest ticket in town. Wow.

On a side note, for those of you with more FCS history knowledge than I have, is this really the biggest name transfer in FCS history, and if not, who beats it?

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 7th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Unbelievable. The things going on with this program over the past 3 years have been literally baffling. This will be the hottest ticket in town. Wow.

On a side note, for those of you with more FCS history knowledge than I have, is this really the biggest name transfer in FCS history, and if not, who beats it?

Pat Devlin and Aaron Corp are similar pedigree. Was Ingle Martin this hightly touted? Who else?

GoDukes86
January 7th, 2010, 07:05 PM

I would temper my enthusiasm for a back up whose only credit to date was leading his team to an upset loss vs Washington. I do believe he will be the starter in the opening game next year (btw, who do the Spiders open with next year?) and he should be a big help next year.

It is a bit ironic the UR has dismissed transfers for the past few years...but I really believe this is just as much due to the success of the the CAA and the Spiders. The stigma (if there really is one) of accepting transfers by any FCS program is really a benefit and credit to solid programs.

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 7th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I would temper my enthusiasm for a back up whose only credit to date was leading his team to an upset loss vs Washington. I do believe he will be the starter in the opening game next year (btw, who do the Spiders open with next year?) and he should be a big help next year.

It is a bit ironic the UR has dismissed transfers for the past few years...but I really believe this is just as much due to the success of the the CAA and the Spiders. The stigma (if there really is one) of accepting transfers by any FCS program is really a benefit and credit to solid programs.

We open with Mike London and the Yahoos!

SpidersSportsEditor
January 7th, 2010, 07:24 PM

Oh come on man. You can't say that if Corp had signed at JMU that you wouldn't be as excited as the Spider fans are. USC is right up there with Florida and Texas as the premier 1-A program in the country over the last 10 years. This kid would have been the starter for USC this season if he hadn't injured his knee during camp. A player with enough talent to start for USC is going to generate a whole lot of excitement at this level and rightfully so. I don't know if he will tear it up, but I don't think there is any reason to temper the enthusiasm. Great national recognition and a chance to see this kid play week in and week out, I'm very enthusiastic.

GoDukes86
January 7th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Oh come on man. You can't say that if Corp had signed at JMU that you wouldn't be as excited as the Spider fans are. USC is right up there with Florida and Texas as the premier 1-A program in the country over the last 10 years. This kid would have been the starter for USC this season if he hadn't injured his knee during camp. A player with enough talent to start for USC is going to generate a whole lot of excitement at this level and rightfully so. I don't know if he will tear it up, but I don't think there is any reason to temper the enthusiasm. Great national recognition and a chance to see this kid play week in and week out, I'm very enthusiastic.

I'm just saying that calling him the 'biggest transfer' is a little premature. Based on the fact he couldn't win the job from a true Freshman? We'll know at perhaps the end of next year (at the earliest) if he's huge or not.

State Line Liquors
January 7th, 2010, 08:01 PM

Ryan Perrilloux xnodx

State Line Liquors
January 7th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Come to think of it, I change my mind. Perrilloux doesn't have his own website.

http://www.aaroncorp.org/

Rumor has it, Corp is going to form his own seccessionist state, and change it to a .gov at some point.

SpidersSportsEditor
January 7th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I'm just saying that calling him the 'biggest transfer' is a little premature. Based on the fact he couldn't win the job from a true Freshman? We'll know at perhaps the end of next year (at the earliest) if he's huge or not.

I agree that he cannot be judged yet, but just the fact that a USC QB chose Richmond is a big deal. It says a lot about how far the program has come in a very short period of time, and that's what my initial comment was getting at. When I applied to Richmond three years ago, football wasn't even a selling point. Now we have something like this happen, along with the success of the past three years, it's just amazes me how quickly the culture changed.

GoDukes86
January 7th, 2010, 08:28 PM
There's a drawback to getting a transfer player too, it could keep away a solid HS recruit whose development may be needed once the transfer graduates.

State Line Liquors
January 7th, 2010, 08:44 PM
It's weird how JMU doesn't get any high profile transfer quarterbacks like W&M, UR or UD. It's almost like if you're a pro style QB, you'd rather not play at JMU. Go figure:p

SpidersSportsEditor
January 7th, 2010, 08:45 PM
There's a drawback to getting a transfer player too, it could keep away a solid HS recruit whose development may be needed once the transfer graduates.

Yes, but Corp only has two years of eligibility left and Richmond redshirts almost everyone anyway. So, any recruit who would be coming in now would redshirt next year and spend one year learning from and backing up a very skilled player, and then still have 3 years of eligibility. I don't think that would be a deterrent in this specific case.

ur2k
January 7th, 2010, 09:24 PM

Notice he said biggest name transfer - b/c that's all it is now. But it is a big name. Who knows what will happen, but right now, its big.

Come to think of it, I change my mind. Perrilloux doesn't have his own website.

http://www.aaroncorp.org/

Rumor has it, Corp is going to form his own seccessionist state, and change it to a .gov at some point.

Actually the Corp-oration is going to go with a .biz extension

ItsyBitsySpider
January 7th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Obviously unproven, but Pete Carroll, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, and Mack Brown are on another level in terms of recruiting. If he's good enough to receive a scholarship from USC-West, then I'm sure as hell willing to welcome him with open arms. It's a no-brainer that anyone in FCS would attempt.

GoDukes86
January 7th, 2010, 10:38 PM
It's weird how JMU doesn't get any high profile transfer quarterbacks like W&M, UR or UD. It's almost like if you're a pro style QB, you'd rather not play at JMU. Go figure:p

Well, it's always possible you get a transfer QB from a FBS and they don't pan-out...wait, never mind.

BDKJMU
January 8th, 2010, 03:55 AM

Ditto. Have seen enough supposed "big time" I-A tranfers who were suppose to be instant stars and they ended up flopping.

This guy could be a future AA, or he could be a total flop. Looks like he'll get his chance to prove it on the field.

BDKJMU
January 8th, 2010, 04:10 AM

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

BDKJMU
January 8th, 2010, 04:21 AM
http://aaroncorp.org/

Dignan
January 8th, 2010, 05:14 AM

I'm going from memory here, but wasn't Randy Moss a transfer to Marshall after running into some trouble at a FBS school?

kdinva
January 8th, 2010, 05:50 AM
I'm going from memory here, but wasn't Randy Moss a transfer to Marshall after running into some trouble at a FBS school?
Florida St., I recall.

Dignan
January 8th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Florida St., I recall.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Randy Moss might just be a little bit bigger deal than this Corp guy.

spdram
January 8th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I'm very excited about the prospect of this transfer, but at the same time he hasn't thrown one pass in a Richmond uniform. For all we know he may end up holding a clipboard on the sidelines. John Laub that is the current projected starter and he will fight for his position. John has alot of talent. If nothing else it will make for an interesting battle for the QB position.

I also believe it should help to shore up any recruits that might have been having second thoughts with the change of staff. If this is the kind of kid they can land the recruits have to be excited about who their future teammates are going to be and the chances for the team to be successful. For those that say we will lose our verbaled QB's, if they go elsewhere because of Corp they are being very short sighted. Corp will only have two years to play (a redshirt and their freshman year) so they sit and then get some mop up time to learn and move to a starter their third year, it's actually a perfect time for the QB's in this class.

State Line Liquors
January 8th, 2010, 08:45 AM
For all we know he may end up holding a clipboard on the sidelines.

xbangx

Respectfully, this is naive.

Eight Legger
January 8th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Ok, Randy Moss was a bigger name. I'm putting an asterisk next to that one though, because he only played one year at Marshall when it was I-AA, and he went there knowing the Herd would be I-A in his second year.

Most of the other big name transfers to FCS transfer regionally. For this kid to come across the country from the top FBS program of the past decade is certainly rare, if not unprecedented. He may totally flop, I have no idea. But I think for a kid who less than a year ago was the starting QB for a top-5 preseason FBS team with legit NCAA title hopes to end up as UR's starting QB eight months later is pretty amazing.

tribe_pride
January 8th, 2010, 08:48 AM

May be the hottest ticket in town but unfortunately only 8,000 will be able to be in attendance :D (sorry had to be said)

Joking aside, this is a great pickup for the program. Losing this many players and the head coach can really hurt a program. Hope that he lives up to the hype except for the last regular season game of each season.

ThompsonThe
January 8th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Furman had basically the same thing last year. Got the back up QB from UCLA. He sure did not make any impact to speak of in their program. Hardly ever played.

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 09:36 AM

Pat Devlin and Aaron Corp are similar pedigree. Was Ingle Martin this hightly touted? Who else?
Ingle Martin BY FAR was more of a big name. So was Perrilloux. Devlin is probably on par with Corp as far as expectations.

ThompsonThe
January 8th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Hen89:

Another year, another CAA National Champion. Thank God for AppSt.

Since App State is the CAA Eliminator, I know that you are making reference to that snow game in Montana. You had better be glad we didn't play your CAA team in the NC this year. In fact you should be hoping any year that we don't face the CAA in the NC; because it gives your CAA team a chance.

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 09:38 AM
This guy could be a future AA, or he could be a total flop.
Or even more probable... a good QB.

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Hen89:

Another year, another CAA National Champion. Thank God for AppSt.

Since App State is the CAA Eliminator, I know that you are making reference to that snow game in Montana. You had better be glad we didn't play your CAA team in the NC this year. In fact you should be hoping any year that we don't face the CAA in the NC; because it gives your CAA team a chance.
It was actually created at a time when we were in the heat of the CAA dominance thread. It referred to that if it weren't for AppSt, nobody outside of the CAA would ever win a NC. :p

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 09:43 AM
http://aaroncorp.org/
My guess is probably half the kids in HS on the Rivals lists have their own websites. xcoffeex

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 8th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Ingle Martin BY FAR was more of a big name. So was Perrilloux. Devlin is probably on par with Corp as far as expectations.

Seems like pretty decent company to me...

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Seems like pretty decent company to me...
Definitely. But Schoenhoft was also as highly touted as Devlin and Corps, so... xwhistlex

Dukie95
January 8th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I don't know...on the "shaking in my boots before the highly touted transfer actually arrives to the division rival's team" scale,

I was much more worried about Devlin a year ago than I am this guy today...not sure why. Maybe it's the stuff I can't unsee from his little website, or the ho-hum high school stats.

bostonspider
January 8th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I think the comments on the high school stats are a little funny. Sure he only threw for 21 TD's and 2,700 yards his senior year, but he also ran for another 12 TD's and 1,200 yards... His team went 14-1 and won the California state title. He beat perennial power Mater Dei two years in a row.. I am super psyched to have him on board at UR, and you are kidding yourself if you do not think you would be too if he had picked your school.

Spiders05
January 8th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I can't look back at ratings for Martin, but Corp had all the accolades that Martin had. Ryan was ranked #16 overall in his class and Corp #44. Schoenhoft, Devlin weren't ranked in their respective classes, so I'm going to say that Corp has the second most hardware behind Perriloux. He also won the LA Times' Glenn Davis award, which is given out to the best LA area HS player. The two guys that won the award before him were DeSean Jackson and Toby Gerhardt. Not bad company.

Now if we can just give him some protection next year, he'll have some great targets to throw to.

paward
January 8th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Plain and simple this is great news for UR and bad news for the rest of CAA teams.

Hoyadestroya85
January 8th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Did anybody see this guy play against Washington? It was almost painful. I don't want to judge a guy off of one name, but there's a reason he's transferring. This is the wrong USC backup to get excited about. Had it been Mitch Mustain transferring, I'd be excited if I were a Richmond fan. I guess Villanova can just forget about repeating now. xrolleyesx

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Definitely. But Schoenhoft was also as highly touted as Devlin and Corps, so... xwhistlex

Understand your point, but how many of these guys were converted to Tight End by their original program...? That had to tell you something about Robby. xwhistlex

centraljerseycat
January 8th, 2010, 12:22 PM
How did this kid slip through K.C. 's hands?:D

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Understand your point, but how many of these guys were converted to Tight End by their original program...? That had to tell you something about Robby. xwhistlex
Tells me they wanted him on the field because he was such an athlete. ;)

henfan
January 8th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Plain and simple this is great news for UR and bad news for the rest of CAA teams.

If only it were that plain and simple. It's only great news if the kid performs like he hasn't yet shown. It's a long way from expectations to performing on gameday.

QB Bryson Spinner transferred into Richmond with much better on-the-field college credentials and performed well as a Spider. (His brother, not so much.) At least Corp seems to be an exceptional student, so UR won't have to make the same sort of academic compromises to get him past the admissions office, for those who are concerned with such things.

GoDukes86
January 8th, 2010, 12:54 PM

Flawed reasoning. This is actually great news for the CAA. Anytime a transfer from a big-time BCS school heads to any CAA program it's a great reflection on the entire conference. Is this the only transfer who might have an impact on the conference? Doubtful. Assuming that everything begins and ends with one player (an unproven one at that) is a huge mistake. I would say that there are players on every team in this conference who are already on the roster or soon will be that will make a bigger impact than any transfers next year. That would be a safe bet in fact. xnodx

GannonFan
January 8th, 2010, 01:16 PM
How did this kid slip through K.C. 's hands?:D

Why would this guy want to ride the pine while watching Devlin on the field next year?? xthumbsupx

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 8th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Flawed reasoning. This is actually great news for the CAA. Anytime a transfer from a big-time BCS school heads to any CAA program it's a great reflection on the entire conference. Is this the only transfer who might have an impact on the conference? Doubtful. Assuming that everything begins and ends with one player (an unproven one at that) is a huge mistake. I would say that there are players on every team in this conference who are already on the roster or soon will be that will make a bigger impact than any transfers next year. That would be a safe bet in fact. xnodx

xnodx Great post!

State Line Liquors
January 8th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Did anybody see this guy play against Washington? It was almost painful. I don't want to judge a guy off of one name, but there's a reason he's transferring. This is the wrong USC backup to get excited about. Had it been Mitch Mustain transferring, I'd be excited if I were a Richmond fan. I guess Villanova can just forget about repeating now. xrolleyesx

Don't give up yet. Wait til Sczur declares what he wants to do, then you can decide about repeating or not. xnodx

henfan
January 8th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Assuming that everything begins and ends with one player (an unproven one at that) is a huge mistake.

Absolutely and especially at the QB position. It typically takes even a very skilled player a full season in a system before they can run it with authority.

Still, a potentially great ad for UR. It's good for them that Corp will get in there early and participate in Spring ball.

Eight Legger
January 8th, 2010, 03:35 PM
If only it were that plain and simple. It's only great news if the kid performs like he hasn't yet shown. It's a long way from expectations to performing on gameday.

QB Bryson Spinner transferred into Richmond with much better on-the-field college credentials and performed well as a Spider. (His brother, not so much.) At least Corp seems to be an exceptional student, so UR won't have to make the same sort of academic compromises to get him past the admissions office, for those who are concerned with such things.

Easy to say Spinner came with better "on field" credentials -- Corp has only started one game. But he was also the top HS player in California his senior year and was THE starting QB this spring for the preseason #4 team in the nation and the top FBS program in the past 10 years.

Spinner was nowhere near that caliber of player, and quite frankly was a huge bust in his one year here. Maybe you remember differently for some reason.

SpiderSafety75
January 8th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I'm glad UR picked up this young man, but i'm underwhelmed on the 'OH MY GOD!' scale. There have been plenty of 'superstar HS QB's' that didn't do anything in college. A HS teammate of mine was second team all-state in Virginia way back when, and was recruited and signed by UNC, a so-so program at the time. He ended up as a safety, and left the school and football after his sophomore year. I thought he was at least going to be a starter, if not an impact player. You just never know.

I liked what I saw of Laub in his playing time, and thought the position was in decent hands going in to next year. If Corp can beat him out, so be it - but i wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't.

Still, a nice coup for UR, the CAA and FBS.

henfan
January 8th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Easy to say Spinner came with better "on field" credentials -- Corp has only started one game. But he was also the top HS player in California his senior year and was THE starting QB this spring for the preseason #4 team in the nation and the top FBS program in the past 10 years.

Spinner was nowhere near that caliber of player, and quite frankly was a huge bust in his one year here. Maybe you remember differently for some reason.

My point exactly, 8 Legger. Spinner performed well at UVa and was supposed to be a known quantity on the field prior to coming to UR.

Despite the accolades and potential, nobody has any idea how Corp will fare. To think anyone in the CAA is concerned about him before he's even taken a snap is completely ridiculous. The kid may never see the field or turn into a Robby Schoenhoft, another QB who was highly lauded but couldn't cut it at the FCS level. It's really good that UR has Laub to challenge Corp.

BTW, I thought Spinner did fine in his lone year starting at UR, especially coming off the injury in 2002 with a very modest team behind him. I remember him throwing and running pretty effectively. Stacey Tutt, who turned out to be a good QB, didn't displace Spinner.

BDKJMU
January 8th, 2010, 11:41 PM
I can't look back at ratings for Martin, but Corp had all the accolades that Martin had. Ryan was ranked #16 overall in his class and Corp #44. Schoenhoft, Devlin weren't ranked in their respective classes, so I'm going to say that Corp has the second most hardware behind Perriloux. He also won the LA Times' Glenn Davis award, which is given out to the best LA area HS player. The two guys that won the award before him were DeSean Jackson and Toby Gerhardt. Not bad company.

Now if we can just give him some protection next year, he'll have some great targets to throw to.

By whom? Article today in USA Today about the massive disparity in high school recruiting ratings between Scouts Inc, Scouts.com, Rivals, etc.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/2010-01-07-prep-player-rankings-raises-questions_N.htm

SpiderSafety75
January 9th, 2010, 07:16 AM
I also wanted to comment that I wish UR fans weren't so eager to throw Laub under the bus, so to speak. I think the fan base is better served with an approach of 'hey, that's great, there's compitition for the QB job' rather than 'Laub WHO? Now we've got THIS guy!'

This is a guy recruited by UR, made the choice, has bided his time. Now, if someone else is better - nothing you can do about that. But as far as I'm concerned, Laub is the QB, and Corp is a challenger...not the other way around. May the best man play!

WildCat In The Hat
January 9th, 2010, 10:17 AM
All we know for sure is that this kid didn't get on the field at USC. But you can't fault the Spider fans for being excited by the potential. If Laub wins he spot, he's going to be that much better for having to deal with the competition. If Corp wins the spot, they have a better QB than they would have had. I'd be pumped up if I was a Richmond fan also.
Being a Wildcat fan, I hope neither are any good..but I doubt that will be the case.

Eight Legger
January 9th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I was very impressed with Laub and would be feeling great if somehow he ends up being our starter this year. But the reality of it is that Corp was the starting QB for Southern Cal and the top QB in the state of California coming out of HS! Those are credentials unmatched by any other FCS transfer QB ever.

Of course we are going to be excited, just as any other FCS team would be getting him. I feel bad for Laub if he ends up not playing, but I know he'll compete like hell to win the job.

Reading the comments of USC fans on the LA Times and USC message board tells me all I need to know about why Corp sat behind Barkley. Almost to a man they think Carroll botched the whole deal, and they are all big Corp fans who feel he got shafted. I'd say that bodes well for his future here.

Spiders05
January 9th, 2010, 11:34 AM
By whom? Article today in USA Today about the massive disparity in high school recruiting ratings between Scouts Inc, Scouts.com, Rivals, etc.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/2010-01-07-prep-player-rankings-raises-questions_N.htm

Scout.com was the reference on the rankings, which doesn't have an affiliated game.

spdram
January 9th, 2010, 02:57 PM
75 don't worry, I think most Spider fans recognize we have a new staff and Laub (as well as others) will be competing with Corp for the starting spot. Let the best man win. I think it just means they will all have to step up their respective games.

henfan
January 9th, 2010, 03:42 PM
With Pete Carroll now headed off to the NFL Seahawks, I wonder what the Corp family is thinking?

seattlespider
January 9th, 2010, 03:57 PM
With Pete Carroll now headed off to the NFL Seahawks, I wonder what the Corp family is thinking?

Probably thinking that Carroll left because USC is about to get the hammer dropped on them by the NCAA for shady dealings.

SpiderSafety75
January 9th, 2010, 04:36 PM
It's funny that Carroll is now supposed to be better than he was the first time around in the NFL...is anyone planning on giving Spurrier or Saban another shot? :)

ItsyBitsySpider
January 9th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Carroll wasn't a disaster in the NFL. Still an unknown at that level in my opinion.

paward
January 9th, 2010, 07:20 PM
It's funny that Carroll is now supposed to be better than he was the first time around in the NFL...is anyone planning on giving Spurrier or Saban another shot? :)

Saban: No (Fine where is he is)
Spurrier: Heck NO (No comment)

gbhmt
January 9th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I fully agree that there can't be any early "oh my god" factor about this kid, but I don't know I've seen another kid that's a 4-star recruit out of high school play in FCS (Perilloux being the one large exception). So I'd expect this kid to do a lot.

Tribe4SF
January 10th, 2010, 05:24 AM
I fully agree that there can't be any early "oh my god" factor about this kid, but I don't know I've seen another kid that's a 4-star recruit out of high school play in FCS (Perilloux being the one large exception). So I'd expect this kid to do a lot.

Pat Devlin has another year at Delaware, and Mike Paulus has transferred to W&M. Both were 4-stars out of high school.

whoanellie
January 10th, 2010, 10:20 AM
thinking about all those departing seniors at UofR and the adjustments of a new system hmmm reminds me of last years USC graduating class and this guy gets injured....
welcome to a hungry pissed off Elon defense.....

SpiderSafety75
January 10th, 2010, 10:56 AM
From the R-DT of a few days ago:

No recruiting history. No familiarity, except through reputation.

New University of Richmond football coach Latrell Scott hadn't met Aaron Corp before Tuesday. When Corp came looking for UR, though, Scott gladly extended a hand.

Corp was ticketed to be the starting quarterback at one of the country's powerhouse programs, Southern Cal, this season. After playing in only three games, the former Parade All-American decided to transfer and now is Scott's first addition to the Spiders' roster.

Corp, 6-3 and 200, will begin classes Monday. By transferring to the lower-level Football Championship Subdivision, he can play next season. He will have two seasons of eligibility.

"I think it was just a mix of where he was looking for one of the top FCS programs in the country, and he was looking for a strong academic situation," Scott said. "I think Richmond filled both of those bills for him."

The Spiders won an FCS national championship in 2008 and have made three consecutive trips to the playoffs.

"Richmond allowed me the opportunity to compete and play right away, and I was very comfortable meeting with Coach Scott and his staff," Corp said in a release. "The university has a tremendous football program and is nationally recognized for its academics, especially in my major of international studies."

Corp was named USC's starter last spring, but freshman Matt Barkley took over after Corp suffered a preseason injury. Corp made one start and was 17 of 26 for 155 yards with one touchdown and one interception in three games.

"He's a tall, athletic, rangy guy with good mobility," Scott said. "He's got a good arm. Obviously, if he was named the starter at USC coming out of the spring, he's a very talented young man.

"Coming out of high school, he was known as a running quarterback. . . . We're not going to ask him to run to make a living, but he's athletic enough to get himself and us out of trouble."

Corp threw for 2,750 yards and 21 touchdowns and ran for 1,197 yards and 12 TDs as a high school senior while being named California's "Mr. Football."

UR loses Eric Ward, a highly successful four-year starter at quarterback. His backup, John Laub, a redshirt freshman this season, was 9 of 18 for 122 yards in five games.

"It's still going to be a quarterback competition in the spring," Scott said.

Scott said Corp received his release from USC on Tuesday. He and his mother visited UR the same day.

"Obviously . . . it was good to have a guy of that caliber come in and feel good about us as a staff," said Scott, who was named UR's coach less than a month ago.

"This answers a few questions about the type of staff we've been able put together. The time he got to spend with this staff kind of helped sell him on the school, too."

SpiderSafety75
January 10th, 2010, 11:06 AM
No, Carroll wasn't a disaster...but he wasn't a success, either. I'd think twice about giving his roster control and that sort of thing...he needs to EARN that.

nms1987
January 10th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Pat Devlin has another year at Delaware, and Mike Paulus has transferred to W&M. Both were 4-stars out of high school.

EIU's Jake Christensen was a 4-star who transferred from Iowa and former Idaho State-er (and current Chiefs 3rd stringer) Matt Gutierrez was a 4-star who transferred from Michigan (though I believe he had a hurt arm the whole time he was in college)

Perriloux going I-AA was different because he wasn't just another 4-star QB, he was THE guy in his HS class.

Hoyadestroya85
January 10th, 2010, 03:47 PM

EIU's Jake Christensen was a 4-star who transferred from Iowa and former Idaho State-er (and current Chiefs 3rd stringer) Matt Gutierrez was a 4-star who transferred from Michigan (though I believe he had a hurt arm the whole time he was in college)

Perriloux going I-AA was different because he wasn't just another 4-star QB, he was THE guy in his HS class.

Eh, I don't know about Perrilloux being "THE guy" in his class as it also had Mark Sanchez, DeSean Jackson, Kenny Phillips, Macho Harris, Darren McFadden, Jonathan Stewart, Michael Oher and Brian Cushing. I'd say they're very similar situations..
If you're going to compare Perrilloux's situation to anyone, it would be Rhett Bomar.

GoDukes86
January 10th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Here's a list of the 5-star and 4-star Rivals QB's who made the Top 100 in the past recruiting years:

Kyle Wright , Danville, Ca - Miami-FL
Chris Leake, Charlotte - Florida
Robert Lane, Monroe, LA - Ole Miss
Dennis Dixon, San Leandro, CA - Oregon
Tommy Grady, Huntington Beach, CA - Oklahoma
Clayton Richard, Lafayette, IN - Michigan
Kevin McCabe, Wexford, PA - Virginia
JaMarcuss Russell, Mobile, AL - LSU
Marcus Stone, Harrisburg, PA - NC State

Rhett Bomar, Grand Prairie, TX - Oklahoma
Xavier Lee, Daytona Beach, FL - FSU
Anthony Morelli, Pittsburgh, PA - Penn State
Chad Henne, West Lawn, PA - Michigan
Matthew Tuiasosopo, Woodlinville, WA - Washington
Fred Davis, Toledo, OH - Southern Cal
Robbie Reid, Galena Park, TX - Oklahoma State
Stephen McGee, Burnet, TX - Texas A&M
Chase Patton, Columbia, MO - Missouri
Brian Brohm, Louisville, KY - Louisville
Drew Weatherford, Land O' Lakes, FL - FSU
Nick Patton, Winfield, KS - Kansas State

Mark Sanchez, Mission Viejo, CA - USC
Ryan Perrilloux, Reserve, LA - LSU
Jonathan Crompton, Waynesville, NC - Tennessee
Jake Christensen, Lockport, IL - Iowa

Impressed? I'll wait until the end of Corp's last year to decide.

nms1987
January 10th, 2010, 07:36 PM

Everyone is missing the point.
No one ever said being a 4/5 star QB means he will be great. Of course it doesn't. But being a 4/5 star QB means he has far better odds of being a good player than the 0/1/2 stars that I-AA teams usually bring in.

Furthermore, some of the disappointing players you listed above (say, Kyle Wright) could have been good players at the I-AA.

Actually, most of those guys listed were at least solid starters at their schools or great at something completely different (Clayton Richard is a starting pitcher for the Chicago White Sox, Fred Davis is a NFL starting TE and Matt Tuiasosopa was a bonus-baby MLB draft pick currently playing in the minors).

So yeah, it is a good thing. You're arguing against a position no sane human would ever hold, that a certain recruiting ranking guarantees that a player will not fail.

Who wouldn't prefer to bring in a QB who could play for Oregon, USC, Cal, Ariz St, Nebraska, ect instead of one only wanted by (say) Furman, Florida Atlantic and UMass?

You failed to note that all of those guys that transferred to I-AA from that list became, at worst, good FCS QBs.

nms1987
January 10th, 2010, 08:01 PM
By the way, 6 of the 22 guys you listed (counting the ones that actually wound up playing NCAA FB. Nick Patton never qualified and I mentioned Tui and Richards earlier) started games for NFL teams this year. Another 2 of the 22 were drafted rookies on NFL benches this year. Another 1 of the 22 ran the SECs third most productive passing offense, another 2 of the 22 had the 2 best passer ratings in their FCS conference. Another 1 of the 22 lead his team to a national title.

paward
January 10th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Thank you NMS. We are not thinking we have the next Tom Brady (barring today's performance), but if we can get good play or a very good push, Corp can only help our team to be better. Anything can and will happen but this week has given a sense of hope. To contend in the CAA there are more factors needed than a better than average QB. But to have one, two maybe three does not hurt your cause. We don't know who will take the nob in August, but whoever it is Corp will make the difference.

ur2k
January 11th, 2010, 08:16 AM

No one ever said being a 4/5 star QB means he will be great. Of course it doesn't. But being a 4/5 star QB means he has far better odds of being a good player than the 0/1/2 stars that I-AA teams usually bring in.

Furthermore, some of the disappointing players you listed above (say, Kyle Wright) could have been good players at the I-AA.

Actually, most of those guys listed were at least solid starters at their schools or great at something completely different (Clayton Richard is a starting pitcher for the Chicago White Sox, Fred Davis is a NFL starting TE and Matt Tuiasosopa was a bonus-baby MLB draft pick currently playing in the minors).

So yeah, it is a good thing. You're arguing against a position no sane human would ever hold, that a certain recruiting ranking guarantees that a player will not fail.

Who wouldn't prefer to bring in a QB who could play for Oregon, USC, Cal, Ariz St, Nebraska, ect instead of one only wanted by (say) Furman, Florida Atlantic and UMass?

You failed to note that all of those guys that transferred to I-AA from that list became, at worst, good FCS QBs.

What he said.xsmileyclapx

89Hen
January 11th, 2010, 08:29 AM
BTW, not sure if this has been mentioned and I'm not trying to downplay Corps, but M&M this morning were talking about the state of USC football with Carroll resigning this morning and the possibility of LARGE NCAA sanctions coming soon. They also mentioned how it was going to be hard to keep recuits (apparently they already lost one of their top recuits) and that they may lose a lot of players to transfer. Could it be that Corps saw the writing on the wall and got out while the getting was good? This doesn't change his ability, but it may be the real reason he's transferring and not because he's a stud who can't get a chance to play. xpeacex

tribe_pride
January 11th, 2010, 08:35 AM
BTW, not sure if this has been mentioned and I'm not trying to downplay Corps, but M&M this morning were talking about the state of USC football with Carroll resigning this morning and the possibility of LARGE NCAA sanctions coming soon. They also mentioned how it was going to be hard to keep recuits (apparently they already lost one of their top recuits) and that they may lose a lot of players to transfer. Could it be that Corps saw the writing on the wall and got out while the getting was good? This doesn't change his ability, but it may be the real reason he's transferring and not because he's a stud who can't get a chance to play. xpeacex

Wouldn't be surprised if that factored into the decision some, but since Barkley is only going to be a Sophomore next year, I don't see how he would have played much.

GoDukes86
January 11th, 2010, 09:09 AM

I haven't missed any point, my point is to those who believe in the hype. I'll reserve my opinion of any highly-touted QB until they have proven it on the field, at every level.

seattlespider
January 12th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Here is video of the press conference. Seems like a nice guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ-HyxscKGM

spdram
January 12th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Every fan base gets excited when they get a highly touted recruit, it's natural. But of course the proof is in the pudding. We'll all see how it plays out, he may end up holding a clipboard at Richmond also. It's just great to have the additional option, if nothing else he'll make the starter better through competition.