PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Football Gazette NCAA I-AA Southwest Region All-America Team Announced

MACHIAVELLI
December 27th, 2005, 02:31 PM
2005 Football Gazette NCAA 1-AA Southwest Region All-America Team Announced

The SWAC's conference top receiver, Henry Tolbert and the conference leader in tackles-for-loss, Jason Hatcher from Grambling along with Texas State's Southland Conference Player of the Year, Barrick Nealy and teammate Thomas Keresztury headline a talented 2005 Don Hansen's Football Gazette NCAA 1-AA Southwest All-Region team.

[ClickPress, Mon Dec 26 2005] The SWAC's conference top receiver, Henry Tolbert and the conference leader in tackles-for-loss, Jason Hatcher from Grambling along with Texas State's Southland Conference Player of the Year, Barrick Nealy and teammate Thomas Keresztury headline a talented 2005 Don Hansen's Football Gazette NCAA 1-AA Southwest All-Region team.

Tolbert earned Offensive Receiver of the Year while Hatcher claimed the Defensive Lineman of the Year Award and Nealy is the Offensive Back of the Year while Keresztury garnered the Offensive Lineman of the Year award. Junior Keldrick Holman from Stephen F. Austin State University earned Defensive Back of the Year honors, and Clint Sellers from Eastern Illinois University claimed Linebacker of the Year accolades. Southeast Missouri State's David Simonhoff is the Special Teams Player of the Year.

Tolbert, a junior, from Birmingham, Alabama, concluded his junior campaign with season-best performance in the 2005 SWAC Championship game. He caught 11 passes for 184 yards and four touchdowns. The final touchdown gave him the school single-season record for TD catches in a season. He finished the year with 74 catches for 1,391 yards and 19 touchdowns while also rushing for another touchdown. He averaged 18.8 yards per catch and 116.8 all-purpose yards per game in 2005.

Hatcher, a senior, from Jena, Louisiana, was a key component on the Grambling State defensive line. He finished with 71 total tackles (49 solo) with 21.5 tackles for loss and 11.0 sacks. He had one forced fumble, 16 QB hurries, a pass breakup and a blocked kick. He had eight tackles against both Jackson State and Southern while registering three sacks in the season opener against Alabama A&M. First-Team All-SWAC

http://www.clickpress.com/releases/Detailed/7323005cp.shtml

TypicalTribe
December 27th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Eastern Illinois is in the Southwest region?

TexasTerror
December 27th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Eugene is on the second team? Where's the uproar?!? :)

Hansen had some obvious goofs on this one, but atleast he has Nealy above Eugene. Congrats to those who made it nonetheless...

How'd 2nd-team SLCer Josh Taylor get 2nd team SW over 1st team SLCer Corey Roberts of SHSU at TE? Roberts was AFCA All-America 1st team...

txstatebobcat
December 27th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Glad to see an all-star team with some bobcats other than Fred Evans. You would think that as a semi-finalist we(TxSt) would have more players represented in the all-stars and all-american teams.

TexasTerror
December 27th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Glad to see an all-star team with some bobcats other than Fred Evans. You would think that as a semi-finalist we(TxSt) would have more players represented in the all-stars and all-american teams.

UNI, a finalist, did not have much representation on any I-AA all-star teams if any at all...

There's no I in team and UNI put forth a great team effort to get as far as they did...

txstatebobcat
December 27th, 2005, 06:33 PM
UNI, a finalist, did not have much representation on any I-AA all-star teams if any at all...

There's no I in team and UNI put forth a great team effort to get as far as they did...

Yes, I swear I heard that at least a dozen times during the semifinal game.