PDA

View Full Version : Next AE For APP ST?

bleedblue
December 28th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I was wondering if some of the App folks could shred some light on who will be the starting QB or who you think would get the nod? I read some articles on Jackson and he sounds very promising. Could he leap Cadet? Or does Cadet have a firm handle on the spot?

biggie
December 28th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Definitely no one has secured the spot. Jackson has everyone's hopes up. I personally believe they redshirted him for this reason, so he could start for 4 years. But we'll see.

Presley and Lott are the 2 other names still being mentioned as well, but we have months to debate.

My guess is Jackson starts and Lott or someone else is back up, we will want to put Cadet on the field more so probably more of a WR role, though WR should be stacked with just losing Washington who rarely played.

ASUG8
December 28th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I like to believe that I follow the team pretty closely, but I hadn't heard anything about Jackson until late in the season. I hope someone closer to it than I am can enlighten us - from what I understand at this point, it will likely be a shootout when Spring practice rolls around.

biggie
December 28th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I had heard of him early in the preseason last year and that some predicted he would be the backup over Presley and Cadet. But that was before the Redshirt info came around.

I do hope he has added a couple lbs. GoASU list him at 185, on a 6'3" frame that's small, but AE made due.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 28th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I read several articles where he was mentioned during fall pre-season practice and everything I have read is that he has the tools to be really good - I would say at this point more of another Richie Williams instead of another AE - You never know until they actually get into the game, however I did watch him during pre-game warm-ups this season and really throws the ball well - I have heard others, who know more than I, say he is a much better passer at this stage of his career than either Richie or Armanti at the same stage ----

Saint3333
December 28th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Haven't seen Lott play but out of Jackson, Cadet and DP I'd say Jackson is the frontrunner due to his arm. He's the best passer but worst runner of the three. I'd agree with the Richie comparision although he is further along than Richie was his freshman year (throwing).

APPFAN21
December 28th, 2009, 04:37 PM
There's a rumor that the back-up QB from clemsom may be transferring up to app but who knows.

http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/korn_willy01.html

AppMan
December 28th, 2009, 10:32 PM
If the coaches are to be believed, Lott is destined to be a great WR. A number of people are appointing Jackson as the heir apparrent based on his throwing ability in practice. I want to see how he performs in the heat of battle. Unlike a lot of others, I'm still not ready to toss Cadet out of the picture yet. What he did at ECU was pretty amazing.

mountaineer_dax
December 28th, 2009, 11:03 PM
There's a rumor that the back-up QB from clemsom may be transferring up to app but who knows.

http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/korn_willy01.html

Korn is not coming to appalachian. We'd have no use for him what so ever. Just saying. Our offense runs around a dual threat qb not a pro style qb.

I see Korn going to either furman or wofford.

mountaineer_dax
December 28th, 2009, 11:05 PM
If the coaches are to be believed, Lott is destined to be a great WR. A number of people are appointing Jackson as the heir apparrent based on his throwing ability in practice. I want to see how he performs in the heat of battle. Unlike a lot of others, I'm still not ready to toss Cadet out of the picture yet. What he did at ECU was pretty amazing.

My thinking is cadet is too valuable not to have him not out on the field. If he and Jackson were both on the field at the same time you could potentially have a mountain of trick plays.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 29th, 2009, 07:39 AM

that's true - I think the coaches were in a real quandry this season with Cadet - Being the back-up to AE and knowing his track record of injuries I'm sure made them keep the wraps on Cadet more than they wanted - He is too good to be on the sideline so my guess is if they decide on Jackson as the QB, then I think we will see Cadet as a full-time WR and KR ----

DLS
December 29th, 2009, 07:47 AM
whom ever it is they will have a much better O-line compared to edwards. that should help.

APPdopted
December 29th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Just FYI....I think Korn could play as more of a dual-threat QB...even if you see him listed as a Pro Style. I was at Clemson while he was there. He is a threat to run. He looks like he would run a Read option Spread alright. Not as much speed as Armanti or others, but he ran some in the Spring games I've seen him play in.

All that being said...I don't see why he would come to App, no need to mix into that QB race if he got beat out at Clemson.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 29th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Just FYI....I think Korn could play as more of a dual-threat QB...even if you see him listed as a Pro Style. I was at Clemson while he was there. He is a threat to run. He looks like he would run a Read option Spread alright. Not as much speed as Armanti or others, but he ran some in the Spring games I've seen him play in.

All that being said...I don't see why he would come to App, no need to mix into that QB race if he got beat out at Clemson.

I have not read any updates on what he might do - I have read from knowledgeable sources that he would like to play for APP - he has friends on the team - Rivals rated him the #5 NATIONAL dual-threat QB as a senior in high school so I would think he could definitely run our offense - He followed Trey Elder as the QB at Brynes HS and they run a very similar offense as APP - not sure he was the right fit at Clemson ----

GaSouthern
December 29th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Lets see... GSU is running the flexbone... AE is NOT at app state... things are getting back to normal ;)

too bad GSU is not winning like "normal"

State Line Liquors
December 29th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Did you mean to word this as "Next QB For APP ST?"

There ain't going to be any more Armanti's, which is a blessing for all of us except the Mounties.

JROCK98
December 29th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Korn is not coming to appalachian. We'd have no use for him what so ever. Just saying. Our offense runs around a dual threat qb not a pro style qb.

Korn is a dual threat quarterback

ASUDieHard
December 29th, 2009, 01:40 PM

Korn is a dual-threat QB. However, that said, I don't think Korn is coming to ASU either.

App Attack
December 29th, 2009, 10:21 PM
whom ever it is they will have a much better O-line compared to edwards. that should help.

That's what I'm excited about. We lose Acitelli but return everyone else. Plus we have added FIVE highly-regarded verbals for next year AND get Storm Moore back. Looks like we're loaded at OL for the next 4-5 years and you can never have too many quality linemen.

Zangzigger
December 29th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Whoever it is, they're going to lack experience. Experience isn't everything, but it will still be tough

Hoyadestroya85
December 29th, 2009, 11:03 PM
come to think of it.. Korn would be a good fit at GSU. He's a good runner, he's intelligent and he's average to above average as a thrower. That's a perfect flexbone QB.

Mikeyosef
December 29th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I don't know who coach Moore will play next year but I do know several starting players believe it will be Jackson. Seems far fetched that a guy who never took a snap in a game this year would start over Cadet who did a pretty good job back up QB. I think Cadet could have AE type potential but if he does get the nod, I hope he learns to protect the ball better.

AppChicago
December 30th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I don't know who coach Moore will play next year but I do know several starting players believe it will be Jackson. Seems far fetched that a guy who never took a snap in a game this year would start over Cadet who did a pretty good job back up QB. I think Cadet could have AE type potential but if he does get the nod, I hope he learns to protect the ball better.

No more far-fetched than a true freshman getting the nod over a former backup who helped carry ASU through many an injury in a championship year.

At this point, I think the entire App fanbase (and coaching staff) is looking for a real x-factor from whoever lands the QB spot. (Unrealistic though that may be.) At this point, "pretty good job" isn't enough. We'll see how this plays out in practice...

Mikeyosef
December 30th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Good point AppChicago. Hard to see lightning strike the same spot twice but like others I'm hoping. From what I have heard Jackson is the guy. Regardless, the rest of the team, especially the defense has to step up right from the first game next year if any new QB is going to have a chance. Putting a new QB in the position AE was in the first part of this season would, IMO, be disastrous. And no, I'm not talking about running over his foot with a mower. I'm talking about the pressure to score that comes with a defense that doesn't defend your end zone.

Can't wait to next season to see how it plays out.

ThompsonThe
December 30th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Actually I was pretty proud of the Defense in the latter part of the season.

Who will "try" to be the next Armanti Edwards? Seems like we said the same thing about our previous National Championship QB - Ritchie Williams. Many people said that, "There will never be another Ritchie Williams!" True, there wasn't.....got an even better one in AE. So who knows. App State has several possibilities, so it is just who does best in the Spring. Even then it will not be clear, because the true best QB is the one that will make the best game time decisions. He may not be the best passer, or the best runner.....game decisions in the heat of battle is what is important. Someone with the best talent in the world would not be the best QB if they cannot make fast, and accurate decisions under stress.

Appinator
December 30th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I think the QB race will make this off-season the most exciting in a while.

Unless something drastic happens, I just don't see Cadet being the year long starter. Every time I watched him play, he had a cannon for an arm, but he was the exact opposite of accurate. What he did at ECU and in spot back up time throughout the season was all with his legs, and our offense needs to have someone who at least is a threat to throw an accurate pass.

BTW, I am not one of the fortunate posters who have seen or heard of the quality of Jackson's arm, so I really can't place any definitive bets on him. All that I have seen is him help warm Cadet up, which is a basic game of catch. To think that this kid is 6'3 and 185 at 18 or 19 gives us hope that he can gain some weight and be a real prospect. It's the same knock that AE and Richie had against them, but everyone is different. Hopefully, with a full year at the training table and in the conditioning program, the guy can put on some muscle and get a step faster.

ASUG8
December 30th, 2009, 09:03 AM

I don't know about the rest of the ASU faithful, but aside from the ECU game, Pressley and Cadet didn't do too much IMHO. Last year Pressley beat a bad WCU team 35-10, and Cadet struggled against arguably a worse WCU team 19-14 this season. I remember telling the wife during this years' WCU game that we were looking at the starting lineup next season, and I was scared. Cadet has a pretty spectacular high school highlight film on youtube, but it hasn't translated on the FCS field just yet. Hopefully he improves or Jackson steps in to take over.

SideLine Shooter
December 30th, 2009, 09:07 AM
At this point, all candidates please stay away from lawn mowers and snow plows.xnodxxnodx

biggie
December 30th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Brings up the question of which player if any moves in with Quick in AE absence, possible QB/WR relationship.

whoanellie
December 30th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Brings up the question of which player if any moves in with Quick in AE absence, possible QB/WR relationship.relationship did not help on the 4th down drop in the endzone vs Montana.... someone should give Cline a spare bedroom... is #17 staying?

Appinator
December 30th, 2009, 09:55 AM
relationship did not help on the 4th down drop in the endzone vs Montana.... someone should give Cline a spare bedroom... is #17 staying?

Too soon......

AppAlum2003
December 30th, 2009, 09:57 AM
relationship did not help on the 4th down drop in the endzone vs Montana.... someone should give Cline a spare bedroom... is #17 staying?

Cline was given another year of eligibility due to injury. So, all of the WRs are returning except for Washington, who barely saw the field last year.

ASUTed
January 4th, 2010, 05:44 PM

Korn ran the exact same offense as we do in high school. He is a dual threat in the mold of tim tebow(not even close talent wise). He would do great in a spread option. Are you sure you know who Willy Korn is?

Check this from the link above:
Before Clemson: Rated as the #5 dual-threat quarterback in the nation by Rivals.com...#25 prospect in the nation by Tom Lemming...#7 quarterback in the nation by SuperPrep...top-100 player by PrepStar...#8 quarterback in the nation by Scout.com...#98 player in the nation by Rivals.com...Parade and SuperPrep All-American as a senior at James F. Byrnes High School...member of the ESPN Top 150 by ESPN.com...Gatorade Player-of-the-Year in South Carolina as a junior and senior...Shrine Bowl selection...U.S. Army All-American and participated in the U.S. Army All-American game...#3 player in the state by CUTigers.com...#5 quarterback in the country by PrepStar...#5 prospect in South Carolina by SuperPrep...#2 player in the state by TigerIllustrated.com...South Carolina Coaches Association Offensive Player-of-the-Year as a senior...All-Southern Player-of-the-Year as a senior...set many state records as a junior, including passing touchdowns (53), completions (281), and passing yards (4,164)...in his best passing game, he was 22-24 for 435 yards and six touchdowns...in his best rushing game against Greenwood High, he rushed for 195 yards on 15 carries and had the longest rushing touchdown of his career (84 yards); he also set the record for rushing scores in a game (4)...team captain as a junior and senior...led his team to a 39-3 record and two state titles (2004,05)...was 795-1181 for 10,716 yards and 125 touchdown passes in his career...his 125 career touchdown passes were eighth-most in high school history, including first among quarterbacks who started three years...played with fellow Tigers Chad Diehl, Xavier Dye, and Stanley Hunter at James F. Byrnes High...recruited by David Blackwell...chose Clemson over Georgia Tech and South Carolina...born Jan. 21, 1989...majoring in communication studies.

Rekdiver
January 4th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Geee Why is he wanting to leave Clemson with those credentials?????

KiddBrewer
January 4th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Cline was given another year of eligibility due to injury. So, all of the WRs are returning except for Washington, who barely saw the field last year.

doesnt necessarily mean hes coming backxcoffeex

but i think you'll see him next fall.

Skjellyfetti
January 4th, 2010, 09:49 PM
At this point... it's between Cadet and Jackson. I think Cadet is a better runner and Jackson is a much better passer. I think that probably gives the edge to Jackson... unless Cadet dramatically improves his passing. Jackson is a threat to run it enough to keep the other team honest (though, I haven't seen that much of him). Cadet is way too one dimensional right now.

This is assuming we don't get a transfer (Korn) or some freak true freshman (like Armanti in '06).

Here's Jamal Jackson's high school highlights (you might have to be a rivals member to watch, I dunno):
http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/Jamal-Jackson-Highlights-1-42884?NICK_NAME=skjellyfetti&LEVEL=2&TIME=1262662821&SIG=8d64ea7041ef9823798a33cb75984351

HenZoneNation
January 5th, 2010, 09:12 AM
The answer of course is NOBODY. AE was one of the, if not the, greatest FCS player of all time. You can't replace that. If they do, APPY ST. and coach Moore are the best recruiters ever.

Unfortunetly, I think you are going to see a huge drop off in QB talent next year and that is going to impact APPY greatly. The SoCon is now a very interesting confernce to watch. You have to wonder if this is the year that Elon finally steps up and GSU returns from the grave.

phillyAPP
January 5th, 2010, 09:16 AM
The answer of course is NOBODY. AE was one of the, if not the, greatest FCS player of all time. You can't replace that. If they do, APPY ST. and coach Moore are the best recruiters ever.

Unfortunetly, I think you are going to see a huge drop off in QB talent next year and that is going to impact APPY greatly. The SoCon is now a very interesting confernce to watch. You have to wonder if this is the year that Elon finally steps up and GSU returns from the grave.

To answer your questions:

NOPE to Elon - lost too much talent in seniors

Nope to GSU - The grave is still deep but they do have the athletes to recover quickly !!

Skjellyfetti
January 5th, 2010, 09:22 AM
This is assuming we don't get a transfer (Korn) or some freak true freshman (like Armanti in '06).

Not saying it will happen... but, there is an interesting article posted today on our Rivals site about QB's we are recruiting for this class. They're targeting ~6 players. So, our QB next year could be someone we haven't heard of yet...

AppIAA
January 5th, 2010, 09:24 AM
From my understanding, the offense will see some changes overall. It is still going to be a spread, but more of a pass happy spread instead of a run first so we will not need to replace AE.. that said, don't count out Jey Yokeley for a shot at QB.. If we do stay with a run first spread, don't count out last years recruit , Jamil Lott..

I think with the addition of the MUCH bigger OL recruits (how many will stay with Elliot leaving?), the recruiting and redshirting of several fast athletes last year, and AE graduating, all point to a different version of the spread.. but we shall see

ThompsonThe
January 5th, 2010, 10:13 AM

Elon was lucky to win the games in the SoCon that they did. I really believe that by the 2nd quarter if they could have crawled out of the stadium that they would have. Never seen a team beat so easily. They pumped themselves up all year then when the game started it was pretty apparent that they didn't have a chance. All of that is not going to change in a year.

Rekdiver
January 5th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Jay Y is working hard but I don't see him at QB ever for ASU as long as we run a spread.

SpeedkingATL
January 5th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I would expect that whoever starts at QB you will see ASU run the ball more out of the spread as they have a stable of running backs returning. I also think either QB could suceed throwing more short routes and dump offs than last year, but I expect a little less of a verticle game. Even with Quick and Coco available no one will be able to throw the deep ball like AE.

Just my opinion...I could be wrong. Someone may surface just like RW and AE did, and they will have a strong supporting cast around them.xnodxxnodxxnodx

WVAPPmountaineer
January 5th, 2010, 03:05 PM

Of course losing AE will create a huge dropoff for the QB position - however with 19 of the 24 starters returning plus some highly regarded new players I personally think we will just see a change in offensive philosophy - I think we will see more of a Richie Williams spread attack - Richie could run if need be (I think one of his longest was about 60 yards against LSU) but he was looking to pass first - with so many quality receivers coming back and RB Devon Moore, the next QB won't be called on to what Armanti did ----

Don't see Elon taking over next year - they lost a lot of talent as noted by their all-conf selections ----

Picking up first-team All-Southern Conference honors were senior offensive linemen David Harrison and Chris Werden, senior wide receiver Terrell Hudgins, senior defensive linemen Andre Campbell and Eric Ludwig, sophomore linebacker Joshua Jones and senior defensive back Karlos Sullivan. Second-team distinction was bestowed upon junior quarterback Scott Riddle, sophomore running back Jamal Shuman and senior defensive backs Cameron McGlenn and Nolan Ward.

Also with GSU, I doubt they can turn around the mess, that started with the stupid firing of Sewak, in one year - What is this now - something like 4 coaches in 6 years? - that would be hard for Florida or Texas or Alabama to handle ----

ElonPride
January 5th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Elon was lucky to win the games in the SoCon that they did.

Sorry to jump in here and hijack the thread, but what do you mean "lucky?" Removing the App game from the equation, Elon's margin of victory in conference was 23+ points, and scored 34 ppg! That's what you call lucky to win games? Even factoring in the pathetic showing v. App, the defense only allowed 12.5 ppg (SoCon conference games only) and averaged 31 ppg. Lucky, sure.

AppIAA
January 5th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Sorry to jump in here and hijack the thread..

Kanye, is that you?!?

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2009/09/kanyetaylormtvG_450x300.jpg

KiddBrewer
January 5th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I would expect that whoever starts at QB you will see ASU run the ball more out of the spread as they have a stable of running backs returning. I also think either QB could suceed throwing more short routes and dump offs than last year, but I expect a little less of a verticle game. Even with Quick and Coco available no one will be able to throw the deep ball like AE.

Just my opinion...I could be wrong. Someone may surface just like RW and AE did, and they will have a strong supporting cast around them.xnodxxnodxxnodx

I think it's hard to say for sure that "no one will be able to throw the deep ball like ae."

ASU_Fanatic
January 5th, 2010, 09:23 PM
It's going to be Jackson.

AppMan
January 5th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Appinator: "What he did at ECU and in spot back up time throughout the season was all with his legs" On the year Cadet was 20-36-1 241 yards and a 55.5 completion %. Not eye popping numbers, but not nearly as bad a many people make it out to be.

AppMan
January 5th, 2010, 09:54 PM

I tend to agree. With #14 ASU was an exceptional team, without #14 ASU will still be a very good team. With Devon Moore and a experienced O-line I expect the Apps to return to being more of a running team. It that is the case I think Cadet has a good shot at being the QB. If Jackson, who will get every opportunity in the world to win the job, proves to be a throwing threat in the heat of battle and can run the ball effectively, he will more than likely wind up as the starter by mid season. ASU fans better get used to more sacks and less big plays. Armanti bailed out the O-line time after time and time turning what would have been sacks into big plays. His ability to escape pressure and make things happen is legendary. ASU fans just need to be patient with whoever is QB and resist the "well if that were Armanti" comments. Because as many have said, there won't be another Armanti for a long, long, time. If ever.

KiddBrewer
January 5th, 2010, 10:11 PM
It's going to be Jackson.

+1

KiddBrewer
January 5th, 2010, 10:13 PM

i didnt know that was even a question?;)

ElonPride
January 6th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Kanye, is that you?!?

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2009/09/kanyetaylormtvG_450x300.jpg

No.....but it looks like we have the same barber;)

Saint3333
January 6th, 2010, 12:53 PM
With the offensive linemen being brought it look for a lot more of Devon Moore. Also ASU is recruiting QB this year as well. For now I'd put Jackson as QB1.

ericsaid
January 6th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Jackson is going to be the starter. It is in the works to see if Cadet will be moved to WR or if he feels he wants to stay as QB. Jamill Lott is staying at WR as he was played there all fall.

If you have access to rivals videos i'd suggest taking a look a Jamal Jackson and then say no one can throw the deep ball like Armanti again.

Skjellyfetti
January 6th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Jackson is going to be the starter. It is in the works to see if Cadet will be moved to WR or if he feels he wants to stay as QB. Jamill Lott is staying at WR as he was played there all fall.

If you have access to rivals videos i'd suggest taking a look a Jamal Jackson and then say no one can throw the deep ball like Armanti again.

Yeah, the rivals video is good. There's also a play towards the beginning that reminds me of Armanti's "Houdini" play against Samford.

But, that video and him throwing the ball around before games is all I've seen of him. We were all sure DP would be the successor after the way he played at the end of the Wofford game and most of the WCU game. He played like crap against ECU and everyone jumped ship. Cadet's performance at the end of the ECU game made everyone jump on his bandwagon. The WCU game had everyone abandoning that ship very quickly as well. It may be that Jamal Jackson is every bit as good as he's supposed to be. He may not be. Who knows? It will be interesting to follow Spring practice. xnodx Just wish Satterfield was still here to mold whoever wins the job.

3PeatNation
January 6th, 2010, 04:51 PM
i'd love to see jackson, lott looks like a WR type to me but either jackson or cadet should start

ThompsonThe
January 6th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I bet Cadet is our QB next year. He has a good arm. As soon as he gets his laser surgery he should be able to throw the ball through a needles eye.

KiddBrewer
January 7th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Yeah, the rivals video is good. There's also a play towards the beginning that reminds me of Armanti's "Houdini" play against Samford.

But, that video and him throwing the ball around before games is all I've seen of him. We were all sure DP would be the successor after the way he played at the end of the Wofford game and most of the WCU game. He played like crap against ECU and everyone jumped ship. Cadet's performance at the end of the ECU game made everyone jump on his bandwagon. The WCU game had everyone abandoning that ship very quickly as well. It may be that Jamal Jackson is every bit as good as he's supposed to be. He may not be. Who knows? It will be interesting to follow Spring practice. xnodx Just wish Satterfield was still here to mold whoever wins the job.

I agree, I miss satterfield and I'm sure our qbs do as well. Heck of a coach!

Waco Kid
January 7th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Don't you guys think it is a little early to pencil in Jackson as the starter for next year? None of us have seen him play in game action which is much different than practice. He may be the starter next year which is fine with me, but seeing how I haven't seen him since the first scrimmage of two-a-days in August I don't think I can determine what he is capable of doing. If Jackson is going to be the starter I hope they don't keep moving Cadet back and fourth between QB and WR. Doing that is just a waste of his talent.

ASUG8
January 7th, 2010, 12:08 PM
You know, the more I read on here about this the more I realize that 99% of schools would love to have the problem we have. Sure, we don't have another AE on deck (maybe :D) but most of these guys mentioned could get a starting gig at a lot of schools as QB. For you naysayers, I'm not looking for the precipitous ASU drop next season some are expecting. Moore and co. have known that AE would eventually leave and have prepared themselves to try to throw someone in his rather large shoes, and I think we'll be fine.

Rekdiver
January 7th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Hey, not being a great passing team worked okay for Georgia Tech and with Cadet this is where I see us.........potentially........BUT I believe we will be pretty balanced and we will just be normal great instead of scary great........